Morton L. (Morton Luther) Montgomery.

Historical and biographical annals of Berks County, Pennsylvania, embracing a concise history of the county and a genealogical and biographical record of representative families, comp. by Morton L. Montgomery .. online

. (page 119 of 227)
Online LibraryMorton L. (Morton Luther) MontgomeryHistorical and biographical annals of Berks County, Pennsylvania, embracing a concise history of the county and a genealogical and biographical record of representative families, comp. by Morton L. Montgomery .. → online text (page 119 of 227)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


he returned to the Keystone State Normal School, where
he continued his studies until the summer of 1869, when
he graduated in the elementary course. He then returned
to North Whitehall township and resumed teaching, but
in the following spring re-entered the Normal school and
in 1871 graduated in the scientific course. During the win-
ter of 1871-72 he taught a graded school in Bath, North-
ampton county, and then in the following spring was
called to the Keystone State Normal School and given the
principalship of the Model school, which position he filled
for five years. At the end of that time he went to Car-
bon county, where from 1877 to 1880 he was principal of
the public schools of Packerton and Lehighton, and then
relinquished teaching for the purpose of preparing for the
ministry.

In the fall of 1880 he entered the Evangelical Lutheran
Theological Seminary at Philadelphia, from which he
was graduated in 1883. Soon thereafter he was elected
pastor of the Jordan Lutheran congregation at Guthsville,
Lehigh county, which he served very acceptably until in
1889, when he was again called to the Keystone State Nor-
mal School, this time to fill the chair of Latin and Greek.
His ability and zeal as a minister of the Gospel and as a
scholar and educator by this time being generally recog-
nized, Muhlenberg College in 1898 conferred upon him the
honorary title of A. M. But with reputation and honors
came more exacting labors, and in 1900 he was elected
superintendent of the Topton Orphans' Home. This offer
he declined, but about the same time came a call to the
eastern portion of the parish of the late Rev. B. E. Kram-
lich, consisting of a congregation at Maxatawny and an-
other at Mertztown, which a sense of duty impelled him
to accept. Circumstances not favoring an immediate
separation from the position he had filled satisfactorily for
so long, he for upwards of a year served as pastor of this
charge and also as a professor on the Norma! school
faculty. In ]901 he resigned his position at the Normal
school and since then has been devoting himself exclusive-
ly to his pastoral duties in this charge, which, since his
election, has been enlarged by the addition of the St.
Peter's (or Becker's) congregation in Richmond township.
He preaches in both English and German and is a faithful
and assiduous worker in the Lord's vineyard. In 1905 he
was elected by the Ministerium of Pennsylvania a dele-
gate to the General Council of the Lutheran Church of
America, which was held in Milwaukee in October of
that year; and in 1907 he was elected president of the
Reading Conference, which office he held two years. He
is a member of the Pennsylvania German Society, and
also of the Berks County Historical Society, occasionally
contributing articles of a biographical character to the
press.

In 1875 Rev. Franklin K. Bernd married Miss Hattie
M. Heilman, a graduate of the Keystone State Normal
School, class of 1871, and a daughter of Moses and Levina
(Lauchnor) Heilman. Moses Heilman was a son of
George Heilman, a farmer, and was born in Heidelberg
township, Lehigh county. He was a merchant miller and
enterprising and intelligent citizen. His wife, Levina
Lauchnor, was of American birth, but of German-French
descent. To the marriage of Rev. Franklin K. Bernd
and Hattie M. Heilman were born the following children ■
Margaret, who became the wife of Elmer A. Krauss;
Florence; Katie; Alice, and Mary. Like their parents all
of these daughters are graduates of the Keystone State
Normal School of Kutztown, and at the present writing
four of them have already been teachers.



BIOGRAPHICAL



451



GULDIN. The early home of the Guldin family was
at St. Gall, Switzerland, where records of it are found
as far back as 1539 A. D. The first of the name found in
America was the Rev. Samuel K. Guldin, who left Ham-
burg, Germany, July 1, 1710, and landed at Philadelphia Sept.
24, 1710. From him descended all the Guldins in the eastern
part of the State. He was the leader of the church Pietists
in Switzerland, and the spiritual forerunner of the Re-
formed church in Pennsylvania. In Switzerland the Gul-
din family is almost extinct, there being but six repre-
sentatives of this once powerful name — one man, one
boy and four women.

(I) The Rev. Samuel K. Guldin spent the first forty-
six years of his life in Switzerland, Holland and Germany.
In 1718 he made a brilliant defense of the Pietists which
has been incorporated into church history. In 1710 he
wrote a letter ill which he states that he bought a farm in
Oley township, Berks county. Pa. He lived at Roxboro
and there died. In this letter he mentions these children;
Samuel M., seventeen; Maria Catherine, fourteen; Chris-
toffel, thirteen; and Emanuel Frederick, eleven years of
age.

(II) Samuel M. Guldin learned blacksmithing and then
together with Engel Peter and a Mr. Bartolet, all black-
smiths, went to Oley, then known as "The Land of Great
Trees," about the year 1718. Each built a log house, and
began to clear the land. These houses were built some-
where along what is now the public road from "The Yellow
House" and Friedensburg. On May 22, 1722, Samuel M.
Guldin married Elizabeth Hilsaweck. Their children were :
Samuel, born July 12, 1723; Susanna, Oct. 5, 1724; John,
Feb. 32, 1726; Mary Magdalene, Aug. 26, 1728; Frederick,
Aug. 2, 1729; Daniel H., Johanna Esther (twins), April
30, 1735; and Clara Elizabeth, Sept. 17, 1738.

Berks county was incorporated in 1753 and Samuel M.
Guldin was one of its first county commissioners. At
that time there were still Indians in the county, and with-
out doubt this ancestor bore his part in defending the
people and exterminating the dreaded foe. The records
show that at least three of his children married and reared
families.

(III) Daniel H. Guldin, son of Samuel M. Guldin and
his wife Elizabeth, was born April 20, 1735, and he died
Aug. 17, 1817. In 1762 he married Catherine Elizabeth
Geltback, and she died about 1785. Their children were :
Samuel G., 1763-1769; Daniel G, 1764-1845; John Jacob,
1766-1826; Samuel G, 1769-1775; John G., 1770-1852;
Elizabeth G., 1773-1848; George G, 1774-1814; Abraham
G., 1776-1838; Samuel G., 1777-1854; Frederick G, 1779-
1838; Peter G., 1782-1836; David G., 1784-1799.

(IV) John G. Guldin was born Oct. 18, 1770, and died
June 13, 1852, son of Daniel H. Guldin and wife Catherine
Elizabeth Geltback. He was a blacksmith, farmer and
justice of the peace. He married Mary Cronrath, born Jan.
1, 1773, died Dec. 28, 1835. Their children were: Daniel
C. 1792-1856; Samuel C, 1794-1871; Rev. John C, D.
D., 1799-1863; David C, 1804-1858; Charles C, 1808-1864;
Abraham C, 1811-1884; Isaac C, 1812-1874.

(V) Samuel C. Guldin, son of John G. Guldin, was
born 1794, and died 1871. He was an extensive dealer
in cattle and mules, a large owner of real estate and
stock and a man widely and favorably known throughout
Berks county. He married Elizabeth Yeager, of Chester
county, who was born June 17, 1797, and died Feb. 8,
1879 They lived near Yellow House. Their children
were: Simon P., 1823-1873; John F., 1825-1875; Mary
Ann; Elam Y., 1829-1892; Sophia H., 1832-1893; James A.,
1834-1864; Jeremiah L., 1837-1858.

(VI) John Frederick Guldin, son of Samuel C. Guldin,
was born in Oley township, June 9, 1825, and he died at
Yellow House May 13, 1875, aged forty-nine years, eleven
months and four days. He was one of the most extensive
dealers in miules in this part of the county, owning hun-
dreds of the mules along the Schuylkill canal, and he
supplied the whole system with mules. In addition he
kept in stock from 100 to 150 and his business was a very
successful one. He also cultivated his eighty-five acre
farm, now owned by his son John R. Mr. Guldin was a



charitable man, and while in the business to make money,
never hesitated to help one less fortunate than he by
lending mules to tide over a difficulty. For some years he
was associated in business with his father, Samuel Guldin,
and after the latter's death, he continued with his brother
Simon. After a prosperous life, he died firm in the faith
of the Reformed Church, and is buried at Amityyille, in
the cemetery of that church. For years prior to his death
he took an active part in church work, organizing the
Reformed denomination at Amits^ville, as well as estab-
lishing the cemetery. Fraternally he was a member of
the Masonic order.

On Sept. 31, 1852, John F. Guldin married Hannah
Rhoads, born Oct. 1, 1832, daughter of Abraham Rhoads,
of Amity; she died June 3, 1873. They had children:
Samuel, born Aug. 26, 1853, died Oct. 24, 1905 ; Lizzie, born
1856, died in 1858; Mary, born in 1858, died in 1861;
Ella, born in 1860, died in 1893; Emily m. J. F. D. Geiger,
of Philadelphia; Catherine m. (first) Nelson Bertolet,
deceased, and (second) Grant Loder, of Philadelphia;
John R. ; and Charles R. of Philadelphia, a butcher.

(VII) John R. Guldin, postmaster at Yellow House, and
agent of the National Bank of Boyertown, was born in the
house where he now resides, March 15, 1867. He was
educated in the common schools, and Prof. D. B. Brun-
ner's Business college, at Reading, from which he was
graduated in 1885. Having been reared upon the farm,
he thoroughly understood the work, and at the age of
eighteen began farming for his father on the homestead.
The property is a very fine one consisting of eighty-five
acres located at Yellow House, in Amity township. Mr.
Guldin supervises the work upon this very valuable tract,
and makes it pay well. Since 1897 he has been engaged
in a butchering business, and gives employment to three
men in this line; and runs three teams delivering to his
customers throughout a wide section. Mr. Guldin is one
of the owners of "Yellow House Hotel," having succeeded
to his father's interest in it upon the latter's death. This
old landmark is often referred to by writers of Berks
county, and for many years has been a place of entertain-
ment for the traveling public. Mr. Guldin's residence
is just opposite the hotel, and is a large stone house, well
supplied with all modern conveniences, and surrounded
with a magnificent lawn. At midnight, Aug. 14, 1908, his
large barn was burned to the ground, including its con-
tents, consisting of the year's crops, three thorough-bred
cows, one bull, thirteen trained hounds and about one-
hundred chickens, — a total loss of $6,500. Mr. Guldin
immediately rebuilt on practically the same site, and now
has the only barn in his section that has a complete con-
crete base, one staple high. In addition to being the agent for
the National Bank of Boyertown, he is one of its largest
stockholders, and since 1893 he has been the postmaster at
Yellow House.

Before he was of age, in 1888, Mr. Guldin was placed
upon the Democratic ticket for auditor of Amity town-
ship, and being elected served that and two succeeding
terms, nine years in all. In politics he is a Democrat,
and has alwavs taken a lively interest in township affairs.
Fraternally he is a member of Wohling Tribe No. 179,
Order of Red Men, at Yellow House. He and his family
are members of Amityville Reformed Church, of which he
was elder for some' years, and is now treasurer.

On Feb. 36, 1891, Mr. Guldin married Sue L. Rhoads,
daughter of Frank and Rebecca (Lorah) Rhoads, of Amity
township. To Mr. and Mrs. Guldin have been iDorn these
children : Paul R., a graduate of Mercersburg Academy, in
Franklin county. Pa., Class of 1908, and- now taking a
course in Agriculture, at Cornell University, Class of 1913;
and Miss Helena, a member of Class of 1909, Kutztown
State Normal. School, and an accomplished young lady.

Mr. Guldin is a sportsman, and is very fond of hunting,
keeping a large number of hounds for fox hunting. At
times his pack numbers thirty. He also has foxes, opos-
sums, coons and other wild animals.

The old Guldin family is well represented in Mr. Gul-
din, an excellent type of the genial, kind-hearted hos-
pitable country gentleman. He is wealthy, prominent and



453



HISTORY OF BERKS COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



a great favorite throughout all of Berks county, where
he and his family occupy so desirable a place in the con-
fidence and esteem of its people.

PROF. R. A. TOWNSEND (deceased), for many
years a well known and successful educator, was a native
of Lancaster county, born on a farm near Smyrna, about
thirty miles southwest of Reading, April 19, 1S44. His
father was a Quaker, of English descent, and his mother,
whose maiden name was Catharine Wagner, was of Dutch
ancestry. Prof. Townsend was the youngest of thirteen
children, of whom only two survive, all the others having
passed away at nearly the same age. The two still living
are Martin, of Norwich, Kans. ; and Samuel, of Christiana,
Lancaster county.

Prof. Townsend secured the rudiments of his education
in what was known as the Bart township school, which
he attended until he was seventeen years old. He then
went West with his brother George and sister-in-law, and
settled in Illinois on the unbroken prairie, in the region
of Philo, Champaign county. Not far from there was a
boarding school which he attended for fifty-three weeks
of the two years he was in that part of the country. He
also continued his studies by himself while working on the
farm, and would carry his Latin books to the field and
study conjugations while plowing. On the death of his
father he returned to the East, and entered Bucknell Uni-
versity of Lewisburg, Pa., where 'he was graduated in
1864, the valedictorian of his class. Continuing his work
he took the degree of A. M., standing second among the ap-
plicants for that honor, and attracted much attention by
the unusual quality of his work. It was said by the late
Rev. J. R. Loomis, LL. D., then president of the Uni-
versity, that his record in several of his studies was the
highest ever attained in the college.

After leaving the University, Prof. Townsend went to
Lancaster to read law under Judge John B. Livingston,
and during the period he was thus engaged, he also gave
private instruction to the present Judge Landis. When
examined for the Bar his unusual powers were again
demonstrated, for he was given the highest certificate
ever recorded in the prothonotary's office there. The
examining board said that they knew of no adjective
adequate to describe his degree of scholarship. His future
as a lawyer was most promising, but nevertheless his in-
clinations were toward the teacher's profession, and when
a vacancy occurred in the Lancaster high school, he turned
his back upon the law and began his long career as a
teacher by becoming assistant to Dr. J. P. McCaskey, the
principal. He taught there two years, and then received
the appointment to the professorship of mathematics in the
Mary Sharp College, Winchester, Tenn. Later he removed
to Ghent College, in Kentucky, where he was professor
of Latin and Greek, and thence to Vincennes, Ind., where
he was first instructor and then principal of the high
school. Prof. Townsend was in reality the founder of
this school, beginning in 1870, with an attendance of thirty-
five pupils, which increased rapidly until at his departure in
1882 there were 200 students. From 1872 until he left Vin-
cennes, he filled the office of city superintendent.

From 1882 until his death Prof. Townsend was located
in Reading, and during those twenty-one years he exerted
an influence far reaching in its effects and unusual in its
scope. Unlike some teachers, he made "his boys" his
friends, mingling with them on the best of terms and
always encouraging and developing them. His recitations,
instead of being dreaded, were looked forward to with
pleasure and his pupils took the greatest pride in their
work. His most effective work, possibly, was in the
literary department of education in the Boys' High School,
where everything was in his personal charge, and where
his success with timid and nervous boys was specially
noteworthy. While never glossing over their faults or
compromising with them, he nevertheless made kindness
and encouragement his chief reliance, and the essential
manliness and strength of character developed in the boys
under him proved conclusively the wisdom of his methods.
During his career in Reading, Prof. Townsend occupied



successively the positions of assistant, assistant principal
and principal.

A man of Prof. Townsend's character could scarcely
have failed his country in her hour of need at the time
of the Civil war, and he was one of the veterans who
survived that struggle. He had enlisted while still in
college, was a quartermaster sergeant in Company A,
28th Pa. V. I., and was in the battle of Gettysburg.

In 1868 Prof. Townsend was united in marriage to Miss
Elizabeth Matilda Conroy, a successful and popular teach-
er, who as a student had attained a high degree of scholar-
ship, and was salutatorian of her class. Their happy
wedded life was blessed with eight children, four of whom
only, however, survive their father. TJiey are : Roberta
Ella, wife of Herbert A. Brown, chief train dispatcher
for the Texas & Pacific railroad, with headquarters at
Marshall, Texas; Frank A., employed as a draughtsman in
the office of the water superintendent, Mr. Neubling,
No. 25 North Eleventh street, Reading; Sara E., principal of
the school at Tenth and Union streets, Reading; and
Thomas W., baggage master for the Texas and Pacific rail-
road, at Marshall, Texas.

The last months of Prof. Townsend's life were dark-
ened by illness and suffering, and for much of the time
he was confined to his bed. His trouble was caused by
an accident which occurred March 2, 1902. A great lover
of nature, it was his custom to take long walks into the
country on Saturdays and Sundays, but on this particular
Sunday it was too cold and rainy for him to go out as
usual, so he spent the day in-doors reading to himself and
his family. In the evening before retiring, he started
out for a short walk down Penn street to Front or Second
street intending to ride home. Just as he was passing
Lichty's Music Store a terrific explosion of acetylene gas
occurred which blew out the fronts of two stores and
damaged property all around. Prof. Townsend was hurled
into the street, landing on his left side, and was made
insensible by the force of the impact. On coming to him-
self he went home and apparently had received only a
few cuts on the head and face, but. before long the full
effect of the shock appeared in the steady decline of his
health from that time. On June 19, 1902, was the gradua-
tion of the last one of his children, Thomas W., from the
high school, and on that^ day the father finally went to
bed, never to leave it again until his death, Oct. 4. 1902,
when his sufferings were over. He left the record of a
life rich in usefulness and honor, and in the affectionate
esteem of numbers who owed to his wise guidance and
counsel much of their happiness and success iu life.

The name Townsend is very old, and we append a
brief account of its early history, as given by Malcolm
Townsend, Esq., of Brooklyn, N. Y., foreign freight
agent of the Pennsylvania Railroad. The name has been
spelled in at least fifty-seven different ways, each spelling
found in print. The original Townsend in England came
from Normandy with William the Conqueror in 1066,
and took part in the battle of Hastings. For his services
to William the Norman, he received a grant of land in
Norfolk and named it Raynham,. "Rayn" means river,
and "ham" (hame) means home, and thus Ravnham
means river home. This grant of land from William the
Conqueror still remains in the possession of the Town-
sends. Very few of the English nobility are now seated
on the original grant of land made to them, but the Town-
sends have retained their possessions for over 800 years,
and through all the revolutions and wars in which Eng-
land was engaged during that period. The name then
was Norman ; and, while meaning the same as Townsend,
It was spelled de Hauteville— "de" means "at," "Haute,"
"head" or "end;" and "ville," town; de Hauteville i'n
Norman, means at Town's-end in English. Seventeen of
the fifty-seven spellings begin with the preposition "at," as
atte Town-end." In French the name is spelled de
Bouteville: "de" means "at," "Boute" means "end" and
ville, of the town" [at the town's end]. In Latin
the name becomes Ad Exitum Villae, "Ad" meant "af'
"Exitum," "end;" "Villae," "town." These different names
and spellings become very important should any future



BIOGRAPHICAL



453



Townsend choose to continue archaeological researches in
this direction. Townsend is the proper modern spelling
both in England and in this country. That the name is
uniformly spelled Townsend is a matter of congratulation
and prevents many inconveniences. For the spelling
Townshend, there is high authority. Edmund Burke, the
great English statesman, says, "It seems not improbable
that Townsend is the more correct, 'hend' being derived
from 'henden' [Saxon] or Latin 'hendere,' to take or
hold."

On the monument to commemorate the battle at Sara-
toga, N. Y., Oct. 17, 1777, is a bronze relief of "The King
and his Ministers." In this picture beginning on the left
are William Ktt, Lord Charles Townsend, Earl of Bute,
Lord North, Archbishop Markham, and King George III.
Lord Charles Townsend, prime minister, with outstretched
hand is advising King George III. to some course of
action. "The present Marquis of Townsend, whose father
was Lord Chancellor to Queen Victoria, and whose pic-
ture is in the group, 'Victoria and her Court,' married
a sister of the Duke of Fife, whose son, owing to his
marriage with a daughter of the Prince of Wales, may
some day reign in England." Should this Townsend
ascend the English throne and become King of England
and Emperor of India, then the English Sovereign,
through his great-grandmother, Queen Victoria, and by
thirty-five different lines of descent, could trace his re-
lationship to Egbert, the first English King who held
a Grand Lodge of Masons at York in 826.

Many other interesting references have been found
concerning the three brothers who settled at New York
City and became very wealthy. Richard and William
Townsend sailed in the ship "Welcome" with their worthy
friend, William Penn, arriving at Newcastle, Delaware,
in 1682. William Townsend emigrated to Pennsylvania in
1712, settling near West Chester, Pa., in 1725. From these
the Townsends of Chester and of Lancaster counties are
descended.

DR. ELIAS CAREY KITCHIN, of Amity township, one
of the most distinguished and best known citizens of
Berks county, was born in Solebury, Bucks Co., Pa., Nov.
27, 1827, son of WiUiam and EUenor (Carey) Kitchin,
and grandson of William Kitchin, and died at his home
in Brumfieldsville, March 13, 1909.

William Kitchin, the grandfather,. was a farmer in Bucks
county. He was a man of much learning, devoted to
scientific pursuits, and he was prominent among the old
orthodox Quakers. His wife was Ann Paxson, a member
of an old Quaker family.

William Kitchin, the Doctor's father, was born in Sole-
bury township, Bucks county, Feb. 12, 1789, and died
Oct. 16, 1873; he was buried at Solebury Quaker meeting-
house.i Like his father he was a strict orthodox Quaker.
For seventeen years he was president of the Bucks County
Fire Insurance Company. In 1812 he married Ellenor
Carey (1794-1877), daughter of Elias and Hannah Carey,
and eight children were born of this union: Elia% (died
small), John, Ann, Thomas, William (a retired merchant
of Bucks county). Dr. Elias C, Paxson (of Northampton
county) and Samuel (deceased).

Elias C. Kitchin gave evidence of an unusually brilliant
mind as a very small child, being able to read before he
was three years old. His father was superintendent for
the contractor making the Delaware division of the Penn-
sylvania canal that was finished in 1830, and the Doctor
is still able to sing songs he heard the workmen sing
there. In 1833 he was sent to a Quaker school, where he
spelled in a class with girls fifteen and sixteen years
old. In 1844 he went to work on the Bucks County In-
telligencer, published at Doylestown, but this work proved
too hard for him, and it was four years before "he re-
covered his health. During these years of ill health he
became interested in medicine, and Dr. Livezey, a graduate
of Princeton, who afterward became a professor in the
Female Medical College, Philadelphia, took him in charge,
and in 1850 he graduated in medicine. In January, 1851,



Online LibraryMorton L. (Morton Luther) MontgomeryHistorical and biographical annals of Berks County, Pennsylvania, embracing a concise history of the county and a genealogical and biographical record of representative families, comp. by Morton L. Montgomery .. → online text (page 119 of 227)