Morton L. (Morton Luther) Montgomery.

Historical and biographical annals of Berks County, Pennsylvania, embracing a concise history of the county and a genealogical and biographical record of representative families, comp. by Morton L. Montgomery .. online

. (page 125 of 227)
Online LibraryMorton L. (Morton Luther) MontgomeryHistorical and biographical annals of Berks County, Pennsylvania, embracing a concise history of the county and a genealogical and biographical record of representative families, comp. by Morton L. Montgomery .. → online text (page 125 of 227)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


within 1,383 votes of carrying the district. Mr. Plank is
a communicant of the Episcopal Church, with membership
at Christ Cathedral in Reading.

Mr. Plank married Sept. 39, 1897, Helen A. Althouse,
daughter of the late Franklin A. Althouse, of Reading, who
for forty-one years was in the railroad service.

SALLADE. The Sallade family is of French Hugue-
not origin. At the time of the Revocation of the Edict of
Nantes, the head of the family fled to Zwei-Briicken,
Rheinpfalz, whence five of his sons came to America.
These five were : Jacob, who came over in 1749, and located
in Tohickon, Bucks Co., Pa.; Peter, who came in 1750;
Frederick, in 1751; Nicholas, in 1753 (died in 1770); and
Thomas, in 1764. One of the sons went to Lancaster
county, Pennsylvania.

Nicholas Sallade, who came to Pennsylvania in 1753,
located in Dauphin county, where he died in 1770. He
had a son John.

John Sallade, son of Nicholas, became a man of promi-
nence in the State, and served as an oiBcer in the Revolu-
tion. He married a daughter of George Eberhart, of Berks
county. In 1755 when but eight years old she was carried
into captivity by the Indians and taken to Miami county,
Ohio, but after many years was rescued by the expedition
under Col. Henry Banquet. Among the children of John
Sallade were two sons : George, mentioned below ; and Col.
Simon (1785-1854), who served several terms in the State
Legislature.

George Sallade, son of John, was born Feb. 4, 1766, and
died April 1, 1853. He moved from his native town of
Woraelsdorf to Royersford, and then to Hereford. From
Plereford he went to Alburtis, but after a short stay there
returned to Hereford, and that place was his home from
that time on. By occupation he was a blacksmith. I-Iis
remains were interred in the cemetery at Huff's Church.
Pie married Eve Kintner, who died April 33, 1837, aged
sixty-six years. She was born in Womelsdorf. Their
children were: William, who lived at Millersfown, Lehigh
county; Charles, Abraham, Rebecca, Elizabeth, Sarah and
Anna.

Abraham Sallade, son of George, was born at Royers-
ford, in Montgomery county, Aug. 16, 1809, and was but
a boy when he accompanied his parents to Berks county.
He followed his trade of shoemaker near Harlem, on the
property now owned by Jacob M. Gery, and he did an
extensive business for the time, employing one or two
apprentices. For two years he was proprietor of the hotel
at Huff's Church. He died Mav 30, 1865, and is buried
at Huff's Church, as is a1sn his wife. Fi\'e generations of
the family sleep here. Abraham Sallade married Julia



Levan, who was born Jan. 13, 1819, and died April eO,
1884, in the sixty-sixth year of her age. They had eight
daughters and three sons : William H. ; Sarah Ann ; Hannah
M. ; Eliza ; Louisa ; Dr. James W., of Auburn, Pa. ; Lydia
Ann; Telera; Abraham G.; Amanda, who married John
W. Gilbert ; and Ida, wife of John Rush (who now lives
at Pottstown), who died six miles below Norfolk, Virginia.

William H. Sallade, son of Abraham and Julia, was
born at Alburtis, Lehigh county, March 25, 1839, and was
but a year old when his parents located in Hereford town-
ship, Berks county. He was educated in the common
schools and in Reading Academy under the instruction
of William A. Good. In 1848 he was licensed to teach
school by the first county superintendent, William A. Good,
and taught his first term that fall. He also taught under
ccmnty superintendents John S. Ermentrout and David
B. Brunner. After teaching eleven consecutive terms, he
spent one year, from April, 1859, to 1860, clerking, and then
re-entered the school room, teaching one term in Here-
ford, ten in Harlem, and one at Huff's Church. In 1861
he learned the stone-cutting trade during the summer and
out of school hours, and has followed it ever since with
the exception of five 3'ears when in office. He still has a
small establishment, and he has made many tombstones in
his time. Prior to entering politics, he employed a number
of men and carried on the business very extensively. His
son, J. Frank, is now in the business having his yard at
Pottsville, opposite the Charles Baber cemeterjr. In poh-
tics Mr. Sallade is a Democrat, and from his youth has
been keenly interested in his party. At the age of twenty-
two he was inspector of elections, and since then he has
helped to hold elections over thirty years in all. He has
been school director, auditor and delegate to county con-
ventions ; was county auditor from 1874 to 1878 ; clerk of
Quarter Sessions Court, 1891-1894 ; deputy county treasurer
1894-96; justice of the peace 1875-1891, and 1900-1905, and
he is one of the best known men in his township. He has
a valuable tract of thirteen and one-half acres, and in 1896
built his present home. He and his family are members of
Huff's church, belonging to the Lutheran congregation.

On Jan. 16, 1863, Mr. Sallade married Sarah Ann Gery,
daughter of Ephraim N. Gery (who is now aged ninety-one
years), and they have had five sons and five daughters,
namely: James A., J. Frank, Ida L., Mary A., Jerome W.,
Anna M., J. Henry (killed on the railroad), i Sarah J., Ira
E. and L. Stella. Fraternally Mr. Sallade belongs to
Huguenot Lodge, No. 377, Kutztown ; Pennsburg Lodge,
I. O. O. F., and also the Encampment; East Greenville
Castle, No. 398, K, G. E.; and Washington Camp, No.
470, P. O. S. of A., Siesholtzville, and in 1863 was district
president of the southeastern district of Berks county.

Dr. James W. Sallade, veterinarian of Auburn, Pa.,' was
born in Hereford township, Berks count}', Aug. 14, 1850,
son of Abraham and Julia. He attended the public schools
of his native township, and in East Greenville, Montgomery
county, and then entered Kallynean Academy at Boyertown
and later the Keystone State Normal School. Pie taught
school six terms in Hereford and Boyertown, and then
worked in the iron ore mines and assisted in the building
of the Colebrookdale Railroad. During school vacations he
also worked in a grist mill and clerked in a country store
He was always ambitious, and whatever his occupation he
has always been looking forward to something better and
somethmg higher. Li 1875 while teaching school he or-
ganized the Hereford Debating Club, which became the
parent of the Hereford Literary Society, which has had
so much to do with the development of literary tastes in
that locality. In his young manhood Dr. Sallade became
interested m politics, and in 1873 he was appointed clerk
and deputy warden of the Berks county jail, after which he
was made steward of the Insane Department of the Berks
County Poor House, a position he held six vears Fle then
matriculated as a student at the Ontario Veterinarv Col-
lege, from which he graduated as honor man in 1SS3 Fie
opened an office in Reading and practised there a short
time, after which lie was in Topton until 1885. I-Te then
moved to Pottsville, Schuylkill county, where ho established
an extensive practice, being the first graduate veterinarian



BIOGRAPHICAL



4(59



in the county. He employed several assistants, and trained
a number of young men for college, fourteen successful
practitioners in various parts of the country owing their
early training to him. Dr. Sallade graduated in March,
1883, and in August of that year he took an active part in
organizing the Pennsylvania State Veterinary Medical As-
sociation, of which he was elected the first president, serv-
ing as such in all for four years. In 1888 he became a
member of the United States Veterinary Medical Associa-
tion, and in 1894 issued the call and organized the Schuyl-
kill Valley Veterinary Medical Association. In 1895 he
was appointed by the Governor of the State a member of
tlie Pennsylvania State Veterinary Medical Examining
Board, a position he still holds. In 1906 he successfully
passed the Veterinary Civil Service examination and is now
employed by the Federal government in scientific work.
For three years of his residence in Schuylkill county he
has been in charge of the sheriff's office and the same num-
ber of years of the County Almshouse. He is a man of
remarkable application, and by his power of systematizing
his work, is able to accomplish more than most men. He
has a high ideal, and is endeavoring to perform his duty as
a man and a citizen, giving of his time and his knowledge
to the safe guarding of the public.

In 1872 Dr. Sallade married Mary Ann Covely, daugh-
ter of David Covely, and granddaughter of the late Michael
Gery, former county commissioner of Berks county. To
this union have been born three children: Anna Maria,
wife of Dr. F. H. McCarthy, a former student of Dr.
Sallade's who succeeded to the latter's practice; Katie
May, an accomplished young lady at home ; and Ira Jason,
who was accidentally killed on the railroad in 1893, at the
age of thirteen.

Abraham G. Sallade was born in Hereford township,
April 23, 1857, son of Abraham and Julia. He was reared
on the farm and obtained his education in the public schools
of his native township. He began life for himself by driv-
ing ore teams at the Siesholtzville mines, and later was
fireman at the same mines, then engineer, and then for- a
number of years was underground. His next work was as
a mine contractor, and then he became superintendent of
the Siesholtzville mines, and also superintended numerous
other mines in the same locality. In 1892 owing to fail-
ing health he quit the mine business, and engaged in the
lumber business, a line he followed for fourteen years. In
1906 he went South, and located at Birmingham, Ala.,
where he had charge of a coal mine for the Berks, Coal
Company, and conducted it successfully until they sold out
to another company. When Mr. Sallade returned north
he was made foreman for Fehr & O'Rourke, at Reading.
In January, 1909, he became deputy county treasurer under
Treasurer William M. Croll, and this office he is filling
at the present time. In politics he is a Democrat, and has
long been active in the party ranks. He is the second
of his family to hold the office of deputy county treasurer.
All three brothers have held County offices, either elective
or appointive.

GEORGE ROBERT GREGORY, register of wills of
Berks county, Pa., is a representative of the sixth genera-
tion of the Gregory family in America. He was born in
Hereford township, Dec. 19, 1869, son of Nathaniel and
Matilda (Wiegner) Gregory.

(I) As far as can be ascertained, the first of the Greg-
ory family to come to America was Richard Gregory, who
settled in Hereford township, Berks county. Pa., possibly
as early as 1725. He died in 1765. He was the father of
fifteen children: John, Richard, David, Andrew, Jacob,
George, Christian, Mrs. Mary Jones, Mrs. Elizabeth Mack,
Mrs. Judith Rhoads, Mrs. Anna Betty, Mrs. Margretha
Foige (who settled in Longswamp township), Mrs. Eliza-
beth Kurtz, Sarah and Hannah. In 1759 among the taxables
in Hereford township were Richard Gregory, Sr. (£15),
Richard Gregory, Jr. (£6) and John Gregory (£12).

(II) Jacob Gregory, son of Richard the pioneer, mar-
ried Catharine Gehris, of Hereford township, daughter of
Jacob Gehris (the executors of whose will were Peter
Hauk of AUentown, and Peter Gehris of Hereford town-



ship). They went to North Carolina, where they were
living -when he received the legacy of his father Richard
in 1782 (the father's estate apparently was not finally
settled until 1782 when the release was filed in the Record-
er's office at Reading). He later removed to Green township,
Columbiana county, Ohio, and was there living when he in-
herited property from his father-in-law Jacob Gehris, in
1822.

(II) John Gregory, eldest son of Richard, died in 1784.
He was a Captain in the French and Indian War. His
children were: John, Peter, Richard (resided in Long-
swamp township, and had a son John), Mary (m. John
Swartz), Mrs. Christina Finch, Susannah (died unmarried
in 1808, and her brother John administered her estate),
Elizabeth and Nancy.

(III) John Gregory, son of John, was born Sept. 16,
1751, and died Dec. 24, 1835. His wife, Maria Elizabeth,
was born June 6, 1753, and died Aug. 6, 1837. Their
children were: Philip (settled in Erie county, Pa.), Peter,
Samuel (born Dec. 26, 1790, died unmarried in Hereford
township, Jan. 18, 1866), Richard, Robert (born March 31,
1795, died April 29, 1877, married Catharine Wiand, born
Jan. 6, 1804, died Nov. 19, 1887), David (of Monroe county,
Pa.), Catharine (Mrs. Conrad Weinman, of Erie countv,
Pa.), Elizabeth (Mrs. Jacob Gery), Judith (Mrs. Henry
Mester) and Lydia (1801-1851). Letters on the estate of
Lydia Gregory, a single woman, late of the township of
Hereford, Berks Co., Pa., were granted to her brother
Samuel in 1851. In 1790 in Hereford township, there is
record of a Jacob and a John Gregory, both heads of
families.

(IV) Peter Gregory, son of John, died in 1852, the
father of John, Henry and Anna Margaret.

(IV) Richard Gregory, son of John, was born in Hereford
township Berks county, but settled in Chestnuthill town-
ship, Monroe county. Pa. He became the father of four
sons and two daughters: (1) Thomas. (2) Cornelius
resided in Iowa county. Wis., at the time he inherited a
legacy from his uncle Samuel Gregory in 1869. (3) John
Gregory was living in Chestnuthill township, Monroe
county, at the time he inherited from his uncle Samuel in
1869. (4) Samuel lived in Burlington, Des Moines Co.,
Iowa, when he received the legacy from his uncle Samuel
in 1869. (5) Susanna married Reuben Henry, and died
the mother of Mary Jane, Annetta, Alfred, of whom Mary
Jane married Emanuel Arnold. All of these resided in
Monroe county. Pa., and all received from the estate of
Samuel Gregory. (6) Clara died leaving no children.

(IV) Robert Gregory, son of John and Maria Elizabeth,
was born March 31, 1795, and he died at 11 :00 a. m., April
29, 1877. He married Catharine Wiand, who was born
Jan. 6, 1804, and who died Nov. 19, 1887. Their children
were: William, who left no issue; Nathaniel; Lydia, Mrs.
Seip, who died leaving a son, Edward G., now of Long-
swamp towftship, Berks county; and Sarah, Mrs. John M.
Snyder, of Upper Milford township, Lehigh county, whose
children were— Allen, Jacob and Katie (Mrs. Yoder).

(V) Nathaniel Gregory, son of Robert, was born in
Hereford township, April 1, 1838. He was reared to farm-
ing, and followed it for many years. About 1880 he en-
gaged in the hotel business at Hariem, and in this he has
since continued. His stand was formerly known as "Gery's
Hotel," and the village was called Perryville. In politics
he was a Democrat, and for many years he served as
school director. He was a delegate to many county con-
ventions, and he has always been actively interested in his
party's success. He is a member of the Reformed congre-
gation at Huff's Church, and has been both deacon and elder
Since the institution of Harlem Castle, K. G. E., at Harlem'
he has been keeper of the Exchequer. His wife Matilda
Wiegner, was born April 7, 1836, daughter of George Wieg-
ner, of Hereford township, who owned the old historic
Wiegner s Mill on the Perkiomen. Their children were • (l)
George Robert. (2) Eugene Harvey m. Lizzie Gery ' No
children (3) Howard William m. Mary Rauch, and has
two children, Annie and Elsie._ (4) Diana ra. Adam Seis-
holtz. and had children, Calvm, Herbert, Annie, Mamie
Gertie and Florence.



470



HISTORY OF BERKS COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



(VI) George Robert Gregory received his early educa-
tion in the public schools of his native district, and later
attended the Normal School at Kutztown, graduating there-
from in 1892. When eighteen years old he began teaching
in the public schools of Pike township, his first certificate
being granted by Prof. D. S. Keck. He taught in all nine
terms, eight of which were in Hereford township. .Since
he was nineteen Mr. Gregory has taken a great interest
in Democratic politics. For four years he served as com-
mitteeman from Hereford township, and he has been
delegate to a number of county conventions. In 1896 he
was made assistant clerk in the county commissioner's
ofBce, a position he ably filled three years. He then became
a clerk in the office of the Register of Wills, Levi
S. Mabry (1899-1901), and at the end of two years was
appointed deputy register, serving one year more under
Mr. Mabry. He continued to fill that office under the ad-
ministrations of William R. Kemmerer (1902-1904) and
also under Wilson M. Dumn (1905-1908), when Mr. Greg-
ory became Register of Wills himself, having been elected
by the remarkable primary vote of 8,011, and general elec-
tion vote of 16,024. His long service as deputy fitted him
for his position, and he is a very obliging and able official.
He resided in the Twelfth ward of Reading from 1902
until the fall of 1908, when he purchased his handsome
residence No. 1634 Mineral Spring Road in the Sixteenth
ward.

Mr. Gregory has been connected with a number of secret
societies. At the present time he is Worshipful Master of
St. John's Lodge, No. 435, F. & A. M. ; member of Reading
Lodge of Perfection, 14th degree; Oley Lodge, No. 218, I.
O. O. F., in which he is Past Grand; East Greenville Lodge,
No. 232, K. of P.; Cashmere Temple, No. 37, D. O. K. of
K. ; Court Victory, No. 123, Foresters of America; Plarlem
Castle, No. 335, K. G. E., in which he is past chief; and
Mt. Penn Commandery, uniformed rank, K. G. E. In
the Eagles he has been District Grand Chief of District No.
2, since 1905, and has also served as Second Grand Guards-
man. He is one of the few men in the Order who have
committed the entire Ritual, and he has taken an active
interest in everything that tended toward increasing the
membership and the finances.

Mr. Gregory married June 13, 1901, SalHe A. Rothenberg-
er. and they have had three children ; Homer L., George W.
and Matilda R., the last named dying Dec. 22, 1907.

GARRETT BROCK EVERTS, of the Reading Times, is
the grandson of Garrett Everts, who was court crier of the
Lancaster county courts for many years, and who died at
the age of eighty-three years. Garrett Everts had four
children : Garrett H., Strickler R., Jacob R., and Catherine
(m. Samuel K. Lichty, of Lancaster, a well known tailor,
who met his death while standing at the cutting table). Of
these children three are living, Strickler and Mrs. Lichty,
who live in Lancaster, and Garrett H., the father of Gar-
rett B., a retired tailor who now makes his home with a
married daughter in Harrisburg. Garrett B. Everts' moth-
er, who was Sarah Brock before marriage, died June 19,
1886, leaving three children : Annie, who died Feb. 6, 1902 ;
Mary, the wife of H. A. Robinson, proprietor of an exten-
sive department store in Harrisburg; and Garrett B., of
Reading.

Garrett B. Everts was born in Baltimore, Md., Oct. 9,
1855, and was educated in Baltimore and in Lancaster, Pa.,
after which he became an apprentice to the printer's trade
in the office of the Lancaster Intelligencer, this being in
1872. On Oct. 25, 1881, Mr. Everts removed to Reading,
when he has ever since resided, his first position being with
the Spirit of Berks, as a compositor, with which he re-
mained one year, then becoming connected with the Read-
ing Times in a like capacity. In 1898 IMr. Everts was
transferred to the linotype department of this publication,
and he now holds a responsible position therein.

Mr. Everts belongs to the Foresters, Typographical Union
No. 8fi, the West End Social Club and the Keystone Hook
& Ladder Co. In religion he is a Presbyterian, and he is a
constant attendant and liberal supporter of that denomina-
tion. Tn politics Mr. Everts is a Democrat, Garrett B.



Everts's uncle, Strickler R. Everts, was for many years
the champion skater of Lancaster county, and, although
now advanced in years, can to-day give the younger gener-
ation lessons in the art of fast and fancy skating. The
Everts family was one of the oldest and best known in
Lancaster. Garrett B., its representative in Reading, who
has spent twenty-five years of his life in this city, has de-
termined to make the "Capital of Old Berks" his permanent
abiding place.

AARON R. WARNER, chief burgess of Mohnton, and
substantial business man, was born Sept. 14, 1854, near the
"Kurtz House" in Cumru township, son of Levi and Mary
(Reich) Warner.

Levi Warner spent his entire life in agricultural pur-
suits in Cumru township, where he died at the age of sixty-
seven years. He married Mary Reich, daughter of Samuel
Reich, and 1o them were born children as follows : Cather-
ine m. David Schlichter ; Sarah m. (first) Henry Thomp-
son, and (second) Henry Myers; Mary m. Samuel Fitter-
ling; Rebecca m. William Boyer; Franklin R. ra. Agnes
Marks, of Mohnton; and Aaron R.

Aaron R. Warner attended the schools of Cumru town-
ship, and at the age of eighteen years learned the hatting
trade with George Hendel, being later employed with John
H. Spatz, his father-in-law, with whom he continued for
about fifteen years, and when the company of John H.
Spatz & Co. was formed he became a partner. At the
death of John H. Spatz, Mr. Warner and Isaac S. Spatz
continued the company until 1901, when Mr. Warner with-
drew from the firm. He has a farm, in Cumru township,
adjoining Mohnton, of 154 acres of land, which he pui"-
chased in 1898. In the same year he erected his handsome
residence in Mohnton, one of the finest on Wyomissing
avenue. In 1900 he erected the Mohnton Electric Light
Plant, a brick structure of one story, and this is the means
of lighting many factories and private residences of Mohn-
ton, as well as lighting the public streets. Mr. Warner
was elected chief burgess of Mohnton borough on the
Republican ticket, Feb. 16, 1909, receiving 212 of the 261
votes cast.

Mr. Warner married Annie S. Spatz, daughter of John
H. and Mary (Snader) Spatz, and to them have been born:
Maysie ; Paul S., who has Rural Free Delivery route
No. 2, from Mohnton; Clayton, attending the Philadelphia
College of Pharmacy; Warren, attending school; Aaron,
Jr., also attending school; and Edwin. Mr. Warner is a
member of Zion's U. E. Church, being trustee and treasurer
thereof, and for the past fifteen years has been a teacher
in the Sunday-school.

NAFTZINGER. The Naftzinger family now well rep-
resented in upper Berks county was founded here by (I)
Matthew Naftzinger, who came to this country from Switz-
erland and settled in an early day in Bern (now Upper
Bern) township. He took up land, and passed the re-
mainder of his life on the property, being buried at the
gable end of the barn now owned by James M. Hix, in
Upper Bern township, about one mile due west of St.
Michael's Church, at the place where he made his settle-
ment.

(II) Jacob Naftzinger, son of l\Iatthew, took the farm
of his father and lived and died there, and he, too, was
buried in the home burial plot. The farm then comprised
110 acres.

(III) Peter Naftzinger, son of Jacob, is buried at St.
Michael's Church. He also owned the old homestead,
where he passed his life. He married Magdalena Haines,
of Schuylkill county, Pa., and to them were born the fol-
lowmg chddren: Rebecca lives in Williamsport, Pa.;
Jacob died aged sixty-two years ; Sarah is living in Centre
township; Isaac H. is mentioned below; Joseph died at
the age of twenty-seven years; Pollv lives at Centreport,
Berks county; Fiaetta is deceased; Hon. Frank, of Tilden
township, Berks county, served in the State Assembly;
Peter died young.

(IV) Isaac H. Naftzinger was born on the old home-
stead in 18-15, and passed his active years in farming, now



BIOGRAPHICAL



471



living retired on a place adjoining the homestead taken
up by his great-grandfather. He owns fifty-two acres of
valuable land, and was engaged in its cultivation until
1904, since when he has lived retired. Mr. Naftzinger
married Mary A. Epting, daughter of Henry G. Epting, .o-f
Tilden township, and ten children have been born to this
union, namely: Harry E. ; Lillie, wife of Frank S. Reber;
Peter E. ; Katie A., who died when sixteen years old;
Jacob E. ; Mary, wife of Joseph Seyfert; Sarah, who died
when two years old; Fayetta, wife of William Tobias;
Polly, who married Jerome Bagenstose; and Rebecca, who
married Milton Klopp and resides on- the old homestead.

(V) Harry E. Naftzinger, son of Isaac H., was born
in Upper Bern township Aug. 12, 1866, and attended the
local schools. He is now successfully engaged as a huck-
ster. In politics he is a Republican, and has held a num-
ber of township offices. He married Lillie R. Epler, daugh-



Online LibraryMorton L. (Morton Luther) MontgomeryHistorical and biographical annals of Berks County, Pennsylvania, embracing a concise history of the county and a genealogical and biographical record of representative families, comp. by Morton L. Montgomery .. → online text (page 125 of 227)