Morton L. (Morton Luther) Montgomery.

Historical and biographical annals of Berks County, Pennsylvania, embracing a concise history of the county and a genealogical and biographical record of representative families, comp. by Morton L. Montgomery .. online

. (page 126 of 227)
Online LibraryMorton L. (Morton Luther) MontgomeryHistorical and biographical annals of Berks County, Pennsylvania, embracing a concise history of the county and a genealogical and biographical record of representative families, comp. by Morton L. Montgomery .. → online text (page 126 of 227)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


ter of J. K. Epler, of Tilden, and they have two sons,
Isaac N. and William J. Mr. Naftzinger is a Reformed
member of St. Michael's Church,

(V) Peter E. Naftzinger, son of Isaac H., was born
Dec. 25, 1870, in Tilden township. There he attended the
local schools, and in 1888 began teaching, which profession
he has since followed, being well known in this connec-
tion. He is now teaching the West Hamburg school in
Tilden township for the sixth term. Mr. Naftzinger has
also been successful in business, in April, 1906, having
been one of the founders of the firm known as the Berne
Shirt Company, of which he is the manager. His partners
in this business from the beginning have been his brother,
Jacob E. Naftzinger, and Mr. John H. Hamm. They are
located at Bern Station, where they have a factory 26 x 40
feet in dimensions, and employ from forty to fifty hands
in the manufacture of all kinds of men's and boys' shirts.
All the latest improved machinery is employed in the pro-
duction of their output, which has a ready sale, the com-
pany dealing directly with the retailers. The industry is
an important one in this section, providing profitable em-
plojTnent for so many, and the owners have high standing
in the community both personally and in a business sense.
Mr. Naftzingfer is assistant postmaster at Berne.

Mr. Naftzinger married Miss Katie A. Hartman, who
died July 14, 1906, and is buried at St. Michael's Church, in
what is now Tilden township. Two children were born
to this union : Florence R. and Esther R. Mr. Naftzinger
is a Reformed member of St. Michael's Churcli and is
now serving as deacon, and as a member of the Consistory
of that church. In fraternal connection he belongs to Lodge
No. 103, I. O. O. F., of Hamburg, Pa.; to the Knights of
the Maccabees at Shoemakersville ; and to Camp No. 146,
P. O. S. of A., at Centreport.

(V) Jacob E. Naftzinger, son of Isaac H., merchant
and postmaster at Berne, Berks county, was born in Tilden
township Nov. 22, 1873. He received his education in the
township schools, and was only sixteen when he began
teaching school, a profession he followed altogether five
terms in Greenwich, Bern, Tilden and Upper Bern town-
ships. For the next four years he was engaged in clerk-
ing in Hoff & Bros, hardware store, in Reading, after
which he went to Milford, Va., where he embarked in
business as a store-keeper. He remained there eighteen
months, and in 1899 bought out M. H. Zimmerman, at
Bern Station, Berks Co., Pa., taking over the general
merchandise business, which he has since conducted, being
now at the head of the firm of J. E. Naftzinger & Co.
In addition to the regular business of the general store
they deal in country produce, coal, etc., and ship dressed
hogs and hides. On May 19, 1899, Mr. Naftzinger was ap-
pointed postmaster, the station being known as Berne,
and he has since served in that capacity, giving general
satisfaction to the community. He is also a member of
the Berne Shirt Company, manufacturers of men's and
boys' shirts, and is a prosperous and substantial business
man in every way. Some idea of the extent of his produce
transactions may be gained from the statement that in
1907 he shipped 18,000 bushels of apples and 15,000 bushels
of potatoes. He has been a director of the First National
Bank of Hamburg since its organization.



Mr. Naftzinger married Esther N. Seyfert, daughter of
Franklin and Caroline (Wagner) Seyfert, and they have
a family of four children: Herman, Samuel, Wayne and
Ruth. In politics Mr. Naftzinger is a Republican. He
belongs to St. Michael's Church, being a member of the
Reformed congregation, and socially holds membership
in Vaux Lodge, F. & A. M., of Hamburg; Lodge No. 103,
I. O. O. F. ; and Camp No. 443, P. O. S. of A., of Centre-
port.

SHERMAN S. FOUTZ, supervising deputy of the
Knights of the Maccabees for eastern Pennsylvania, is a
well-known and very popular citizen of the city of Read-
ing, Pa. Mr. Foutz was born in Harrison county, Ohio,
Sept. 3, 1867, where his parents Jonathan and Rebecca Jane
(Caldwell) Foutz, were also born on the old Foutz home-
stead. The father died in September, 1900, aged fifty-five
years, while the mother still survives. '

Sherman S. Foutz was educated in the Harrison county,
Ohio, public schools, and the New Hagerstown Academy,
and after leaving the latter engaged in the fire insurance
business for four years. He was then appointed to a clerk-
ship in the United States Treasury Department, at Wash-
ington, D. C, under President Cleveland. He remained in
this position for two years, at the end of which time he
resigned his position to become manager of the Knights
of the Maccabees for the District of Columbia and Virginia.
On April 11, 1903, Mr. Foutz was appointed supervising
deputy of the Maccabees for Eastern Pennsylvania. When
Mr. Foutz took this office there were but ninety-two mem-
bers in Eastern Pennsylvania, and there are now therein
3,500 members. Mr. Foutz's duties take him all over the
Eastern part of the State, and he is a member of the
Supreme body, which meets every four years.

Sherman S. Foutz married Aug. 11, 1887, Elizabeth
Wilson, daughter of John Wilson, of Harrison county,
Ohio. Two children were born to this union : Oscar W., at
home; and Grace, attending Irving College, Mechanics-
burg, class of 1910. Mr. Foutz, besides the Maccabees
belongs to the Knights of Pythias, the Knights of Malta
and the Modern Woodmen. In religious faith he is a
Lutheran, and in political principle a Democrat. Mr. Foutz
is very popular throughout the Eastern part of the State,
where he is well known and highly esteemed for his
many sterling traits of character.

WELLINGTON VAN REED, secretary and treasurer
of the Sinking Spring Fire Insurance Company, vice-pres-
ident of the Auburn Shale Brick Company, and a director
in the Schuylkill Valley Bank, is one of Reading's leading
business men. Mr. Van Reed was born at Sinking Spring,
Berks county, Oct. 15, 1840, son of Thomas and Eliza.
(Ruth) Van Reed, and grandson of John Van Reed, who'
descended from an old and honored Holland Dutch
family.

John Van Reed was born in Berks county, Pa., and his;
•education was secured in the old fashioned log school-
house, where oiled floors and varnished seats were un-
known. He became one of Sinking Spring's leading farm-
ers and a man of much influence in his locality. He and
his wife had a family of children, of whom are recalled:
John, Charles and Thomas. In religious belief the family
have been members of the Reformed Church for many
generations and have done much in its support in this:
section. In politics the Van Reeds were never office
seekers, but they were often sought by offices, and officials
both Republican and Democratic have come from the
family.

Thomas Van Reed, father of Wellington, was born in
Spring township, Berks county, and his education was
obtamed in the common schools. When a young man
he learned the wool fuller's trade, which he followed for
many years, also owning and conducting a valuable farm
He died m 1889, at the age of seventy-five years his
wife dying when sixty years of age. They were the
parerits of the following children: Levi, Henry, Daniel
Wellington, Charles, Thomas, John and Eliza (m. to Adam
G. Lerch, and living in Wernersville, Pa.). Thomas Van



473



HISTORY OF BERKS COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



Reed conducted an old-fashioned inn at Sinking Spring,
but when the Lebanon Valley Railroad was built he gave
it up. He was a man of good principles and was highly
esteemed in his community.

Wellington Van Reed received his education in the
common schools of Spring township, and also attended
the old Reading Academy for three years. When a young
man he entered the employ of the mercantile establish-
ment of Henry M. Otto, with whom he remained seven
years, and then resigned to engage with the old Reading
Adler, when Charles Kessler was proprietor and owner.
He clerked in this well-known establishment for six years,
but in 1865 resigned to engage in business for himself,
locating on Penn street, between Third and Fourth. Here
he opened a store for the sale of wool suitings, linings,
trimmings, etc., and does an extensive business today at
the same location, having never changed his place of busi-
ness. The greater part of his time, however, is given
to insurance and financial ventures. For the past thirty
years he has been prominently identified with the Sinking
Spring Fire Insurance Company, which was organized in
1S43, and is one of the most reliable companies in the
State. It insures farm and city property, and the com-
pany has gained the reputation of being one of the solid,
safe and conservative institutions of the country.

In 1859 Mr. Van Reed married Catherine Kessler,
daughter of Charles Kessler, and to this union there were
born : Elizabeth m. E. L. Lindenmuth ; Annie m. J. E. Leb-
kicker; Mary is single; and Helen m. James A. Behm.

Politically Mr. Van Reed is a Democrat, but has never
been an office seeker. He has been a member of the Read-
ing school board for the past thirty-four years, being the
oldest member. He and his family are members of the
Second Reformed Church, in which he has served in
many official capacities. Fraternally Mr. Van Reed is a
member of Oley Lodge, I. O. O. F.; Lodge No. 62, F. &
A. M. ; Excelsior Chapter, No. 237; Reading Commandery
No. 42, K. T. ; Rajah Temple, A. A. O. N. M. S. ; Knights
of the Golden Eagle; Mt. Penn Council, Royal Arcanum;
and the Improved Order of Heptasophs.

JESSE G. HAWLEY, lawyer, journalist and public-
spirited citizen, was for over forty years a leading resident
of Reading. He was born at Pughtown, Chester county,
Aug. 8, 1839, and died April 19, 1903, aged sixty-three
years, eight months, eleven days.

His parents were Jesse and Esther Trimble (Meredith)
Hawley, and his ancestors were among the earliest settlers
of eastern Pennsylvania. He first attended the South
Coventry public schools, of which his uncle, James M.
Meredith, was the teacher. Next he was sent to the
Greenwood Dell Boarding School, in West Bradford
township, taught by Jonathan Cause. Later he went to
the Millersyille State Normal School, and having chosen
law for his profession he entered the National Law
School at Poughkeepsie, N. Y. His studies there were
interrupted for a time, and he engaged in teaching school
— a vocation which has been the stepping-stone for so
many successful men. After this he taught in Amity
township, Berks county, in the meanwhile reading
law. In September, 1859, he came to Reading, and
oornpleted his legal preparation in the office of the late
Major Samuel L. Young. He was admitted to the prac-
tice of his profession in September, 1860, and at the
Berks Bar took his place as a speaker of force, and he
won some notable victories before juries. He practised
law about four years, but it wz.s toward journalism that
the natural bent of his inclination led him. On April 1,
1864, he, with the late William S. Ritter, purchased of
Charles Kessler the Readinger Adler, the oldest German
weekly in the United States, and the Democratic organ
of the county. 'Mr. Hawley soon sought a wider field
for his talents, and on Jan. 28, 1868, Messrs. Ritter and
Hawley founded the Reading Daily Eagle. This marked
the transition period in Berks county between the day
of the German newspaper and the rapidly rising tide of
its successor — the English daily. The Eagle was started
as a four-page paper of six columns to a page. In the



meantime they secured by purchase the Gazette and Dem-
ocrat, a weekly founded about 1830, changing its name
to the Weekly Eagle. Mr. Hawley brought to the field of
daily newspaper work a fine physique and mature mind.
He was an able writer and possessed the unerring instinct
for knowing the needs of the people and supplying them.
He had ideas and put them into practice. They were
new, but they proved to be the foundation on which
the success of the paper was built. Life, energy and
enthusiasm were put into the work, and the Eagle soon
began to attract attention. Mr. Hawley recognized from
the start that there were two sides to every question ;
that each had a right to a hearing, and he readily granted
it upon all occasions. He believed in printing facts and
allowing the reader to draw his own conclusions. He was
probably the first American newspaper publisher to estab-
lish a complete system of rural correspondence, but since
then he has had a host of imitators among those who rea-
lize that local news is the prime source of a paper's suc-
cess. The Eagle was a Democratic paper until 1875, when
it became independent. In the meantime Mr. Hawley be-
came sole proprietor; and having next launched the
Sunday Eagle he imbued the papers as never before with
his own personality. He realized at this period that
the independent newspaper could perform a higher type
of public service by standing aloof from all partisanship.
He gave his readers all the information possible on every
important subject. He believed that the people were
intelligent enough to draw their own conclusions and
gradually, except upon important occasions, he abandoned
the editorial column. But when the situation called for
an expression of opinion from the Eagle he was prompt
to respond to this public duty, and he did it with vigor
and without fear or favor. His newspaper is published
to-day according to the policy laid down by him years
ago, and that this has been fully justified is apparent,
wrhen it is shown that the Daily Eagle of to-day has a
circulation of over twenty thousand, while in size it is
eight columns to a page, with ten or twelve pages, accord-
ing to the pressure of news and advertisements. Mr.
Hawley was a strong friend of the public school system.
In his earlier years he was a member of Reading's board
of control, and took a prominent part in the proceedings.
For years he offered prizes to the Reading high school
boys for the best essay in literature, and prizes for mer-
itorious work by pupils in the county schools. He realized
that the school was the foundation of the true greatness
of the State, and he did much to advance the cause of
education. He was a contributor to every worthy object,
though in many cases his name was not connected with
the giving. He was ever enterprising and progressive in
his ideas. He devoted his newspaper to building up and
advancing the interests of his community and never for
the purpose of striking down either an organization or
an individual. Though he wielded power, he never used
it to advance his own interests but remained until the end
a splendid example of the independent editor. He left
a lasting impression on the community in which he lived.
Mr. Hawley married, Dec. 15. 1863, Kate E. Ritter,
daughter of the late Louis Ritter. When the Reading
Eagle Conipany was formed in 1904, Mrs. Hawley be-
came president, in which capacity she served until her
death, June 1, 1906. Two daughters remain : Edith, wife
of William Seyfert; and Helen, wife of Edwin A. Quier.
Mr. Seyfert is now president of the corporation, and
Mr. Quier vice-president.

CHARLES R. BUCK, proprietor of the Boyertown
Steam Laundry and one of the enterprising business men
of that borough, was born at Red Hill, Montgomery county,
Nov. 7, 1850, son of Charles Buck, and his wife Christena,
and grandson of Jacob Buck.

(I) Jacob Buck was a native of Berks countv, and by
trade was a blacksmith, for some years living and work-
ing at Longswamp. He moved to Hereford, Berks county,
and then to Sumneytown, Montgomery county, and always
followed his trade. He is buried at Old Goshenhoppen
cenietery. His wife was a member of the Schmeck family
of Berks county, and is buried by his side. They had issue





/ 'r



y&^^^/y^




BIOGRAPHICAL



473



as follows: Charles, Daniel, Henry, Jacob, James, Camilla,
Maria,' and Caroline. Jacob Buck had a brother Joseph,
who lived and died at Hamburg, Berks county, and another
brother who lived at Ashland, Pa. Joseph Buck had a
son Harry P. who lives at Hamburg, Berks county.

(II) Charles Buck, son of Jacob Buck, and father of
Charles R., was a native of Longswamp township, Berks
county, and was born Aug. 3, 1820. He died Dec. 18, 1903,
aged eighty-two years and four months, and is buried at
New Goshenhoppen Reformed church, East Greenville,
Montgomery county. He was also a blacksmith by trade,
and followed that trade a number of years. In April, 1862,
he moved from Red Hill to Green Lane the same county,
and engaged in farming, and nine years thereafter retired
in comfortable circumstances. He was an active man in the
church, and he and his family were members of the Re-
formed church at New Goshenhoppen where he and his
wife rest from their labors. In politics he was a Democrat,
and served very acceptably as school director in Marl-
borough township, Montgomery county. His wif6 was
Christiana Royer, a descendant of one of Pennsylvania's
old and honored settlers, and she was born in 1834, and
died in 1883. They had three children: William H., of
Green Lane, formerly a school teacher, is now a farmer and
a prominent mian in his locality, and he has been a
justice of the peace for thirty-three years, serving
his seventh continuous term, and has also served contin-
uously as school director since 1880 ; Charles R. ; and
Ellen R., married Herman Hillegas, a coal, feed and lumber
merchant at Pennsburg, Pennsylvania.

(III) Charles R. Buck was educated in the common
schools of Montgomery county, and Mount Pleasant sem-
inary, Berks county, under the tutorship of Prof. L. M.
Koons. When Mr. Buck was twenty, he learned the mill-
ing trade from John R. Kepler, of Upper Hanover town-
ship, Montgomery county, and followed it for fourteen
years in Berks county. In 1885 he had the misfortune of
being burned out, his mill and contents at Morysville, in
Berks county, being consumed. Having lost his property,
Mr. Buck went to work for P. A. Brauss & Co., in the
cigar and box factory, as paying clerk, and thus continued
for three years. In 1888 he embarked in the huckster
business, operating between Boyertown and Philadelphia
for ten years. In this he prospered, and built up a large
trade, shipping as many as 1,000 dozen eggs per week as
well as all other kinds of produce in like proportion. In
1898 Mr. Buck organized the Boyertown steam laundry,
which he has since operated with marked success. Em-
ployment is given seven people, and he commands the
trade and approval of the very best people of Boyertown.
The plant is conveniently located on Jefferson street, be-
tween Rhoades and Philadelphia avenue, and it is 40 x 24
feet with an annex.

Mr. Buck is a Democrat in politics, and served very
creditably as justice of the peace, from 1898 to 1903. He
was a member of the school board in Colebrookdale town-
ship for four years and has always taken an active interest
in local events. He has been a delegate to the county
convention, and was a candidate for the office of prison
inspector of Berks county. Fraternally Mr. Buck is a
member of Washington Camp, No. 104, P. O. S. of A. of
Bojrertown; Rosalind Castle No. 328, K. G. E. of Boyer-
town, and is Clerk of exchequer of the Castle, having
held that office since 1903. He and his family are members
of the Reformed Church of the Good Shepherd, of which
he is trustee ; he was made an official of the church
in 1894, and has continued in office ever since. He is
very liberal in his contributions and can always be de-
pended upon to do even more than one man's part towards
the advancement of any measure, either in church or
civic life, tending towards the uplifting of humanity.

On Nov. 6, 1875, Mr. Buck married Sarah Johnson,
daughter of Abraham B. and Catherine (Gruber) Johnson,
of Colebrookdale township. Mrs. Buck was born July 30,
1854, and died Dec. 35, 1903. Her many virtues are tend-
erly cherished by her husband and children and her loss
is still mourned. The children born to Mr. and Mrs. Buck
were : Flora, m. to Milton W. Briel, who is connected with



the Boyertown Casket Company and they have two chil-
dren, Kathryn and Lillian; and Charles A., born April 15,
1885, who is his father's assistant and a bright, young
business man. The family stands very high in the com-
munity, in both a business and a social way.

NICHOLAS BUCK, the emigrant ancestor of many of
the name, was descended from an ancient family long
established in the vicinity of Thionville, Lorraine.
The date of his birth is unknown. The Buckville
branch of the family descended from Nicholas Buck, Jr.,
his third son, who was iiineteen years old at the time
of his father's death. Lorraine is within the valley of
the Rhine and on the frontier of Germany, Belgium, Hol-
land and Luxembourg, and suffered severely from war dur-
ing the years between 1670 and 1733. The calamities oc-
casioned by such long strife induced one Nicholas Buck, .a
single man, to embark at Rotterdam, on the ship "St.
Andrew" for America. He arrived in Philadelphia, Sept.
2S, 1752. For a short time he lived near Reading, and then
came by way of Goshenhoppen to Springfield township,
Bucks county. There he settled down and spent the re-
mainder of his life. There is doubt as to the exact year
of the emigration of Nicholas Buck. The ship "Edin-
burgh" arrived in Philadelphia Sept. 5, 1748, from Rotter-
dam. In the list of passengers were mentioned Michael
Hartman and "John Nickel Buck," the former no doubt
the father of Nicholas Buck's second wife whom he mar-
ried in 1766. In 1760 he signed a petition asking for a
road in Springfield township. On this he wrote his name
"Nickly Buck." On April 21, 1761, he married Mary
Abigail, daughter of George and Barbara Kohl, of Nocka-
mixon. The first child, Leonard, was born Sept. 1, 1763,
and the second son, Joseph, in 1764. The wife and
mother died Jan. 7, 1765, at the age of twenty-two years.
On May 12, 1766, Mr. Buck married (second) EHzabeth,
daughter of Michael and Margaret Hartman. The chil-
dren of the second union were : Nicholas, Jacob, John,
Catharine, Barbara, Elizabeth, Magdalena and Mary Ann.
In his last marriage record the father is mentioned as a
widower and farmer. In 1768 he purchased from Ludwig
Nuspickel, a tract of land of forty-six acres. In 1777 he
was in the Revolutionary war.

Leonard Buck, son of Nicholas, married Elizabeth Kra-
mer, born in 1769. He was a farmer. In 1786 he inherited
under conditions half of his father's esfate. He died in
1809, aged forty-six years. His widow survived some
years. Their four children were : Mary, Catharine, Sarah
and Abigail.

Joseph Buck, son of Nicholas, married Rosina. He
had a son John and other children. He sold to his brother
his holdings in real estate and removed to Whitehall
township, in Lehigh county, in 1800.

Capt. Nicholas Buck, third son of the ancestor Nicholas,
in 1789 married Mary Magdalena, daughter of John Eck,
Oi Upper Salford. In 1792 he bought a tract of sixty-four
acres. In 1803 and feter he was a collector of taxes in
Nockamixon. In 1807 he raised a company and had it
fully equipped and prepared for action the following
spring. This company of militia continued to have him
as its captain until a few years before his death. Pie
had six children : Elizabeth, Nicholas, Sarah, Mary Mag-
dalena, Jacob S. and Samuel.

Major Jacob Buck, fourth son of the ancestor Nicholas,
was born in Springfield, May 1, 1770. He was a farmer.
In 1790 he married Susanna, daughter of Philip and Eliza-
beth Haring, of Haycock. He conducted a public house
at Nockamixon in 1800. In 1814 or sooner he became
owner of the "Bear Tavern" at Red Hill. About the
same time his brother John became the owner of "Sorrel
Horse." Major Jacob Buck's children were: John, Jacob,
Elizabeth, Nicholas, Samuel, Catharine and Joseph. His
descendants are numerous and reside chiefly in Bucks
county, Philadelphia and New Jersey.

Major John Buck was the youngest of the ancestor's
sons. He was born Feb. 19, 1775. In 1795 he married
Salome McCarty. He, too, early in life had a penchant
for the militia. In 1808 he was a captain of a company



474



HISTORY OF BERKS COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



organized by his brother Jacob. He served this company
as major until the close of the war with England. In
1808 he purchased his brother Jacob's property at Revere.
The tract consisted of 136 acres and on it was the famous
"Sorrel Horse" hotel, which was built of logs. After
many years' service this was torn down in 1818. He was



Online LibraryMorton L. (Morton Luther) MontgomeryHistorical and biographical annals of Berks County, Pennsylvania, embracing a concise history of the county and a genealogical and biographical record of representative families, comp. by Morton L. Montgomery .. → online text (page 126 of 227)