Morton L. (Morton Luther) Montgomery.

Historical and biographical annals of Berks County, Pennsylvania, embracing a concise history of the county and a genealogical and biographical record of representative families, comp. by Morton L. Montgomery .. online

. (page 127 of 227)
Online LibraryMorton L. (Morton Luther) MontgomeryHistorical and biographical annals of Berks County, Pennsylvania, embracing a concise history of the county and a genealogical and biographical record of representative families, comp. by Morton L. Montgomery .. → online text (page 127 of 227)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


the father of ten children: Elizabeth, John, Joel, Edward,
Martha, Reading, Enoch, Theodore, Rebecca and Nicholas.
His descendants live in Bucks county, Philadelphia, New
Jersey, Illinois and the West.

GEORGE R. MALTZBERGER, a prominent tobacco
manufacturer of Reading, bears a name well konwn in
that city as a synonym for honesty and reliability.

John Maltzberger, father of George R., was for many
years one of Reading's most honored citizens, although
others occupied positions more in the public eye. He was
born in Reading March 17, 1815, and his whole life was
identified with the city. He was given a common school
education and then learned the manufacture of tobacco
products. Later he learned brick laying and was engaged
at that work until 1846, when he returned to the tobacco
business and laid the foundations of the large concern now
conducted by his son. At first he had only a small estab-
lishment in the house where George R. Maltzberger now
lives, at No. 38 South Fifth street, and he continued to
do business there until the close of the war. Then he
acquired the property now occupied by the store, adjoin-
ing the residence, at No. 36 South Fifth street, where he
was until his death.

John Maltzberger was married to Miss Elizabeth Cole-
man, and children were born to them as follows : Henry,
deceased; INIary, Mrs. James C. Brown, deceased; Harri-
son, a prominent attorney in Reading, now deceased;
Charles, deceased ; Emma, Mrs. John O. Geise, of Ger-
mantown. Pa. ; and George R. The father of this family
passed away in January, 1878, aged sixty-three, and his
wife survived him until February, 1882, when she, too,
died, aged sixty-seven. He was a member of the Re-
formed Church and she of the Lutheran. They were
very popular in Reading, where they had a host of friends.
Mr. Maltzberger was widely known as a man of absolute
adherence to his word, and was held up as a constant ex-
ample to others. He was a prominent member of Lodge
No. 62, F. & A. M, and also took an active part in the
Odd Fellows, belonging to Rd^ontgomery Lodge. From
1865 to 1867 he served on the water commission of Read-
ing, and also for a long time was on the board of direc-
tors of the Reading Hospital. He was one of the found-
ers of that institution, and subscribed a large amount of
money for its support, after his son Harrison succeeded
to his place on the board. John Maltzberger made many
other donations to charitable institutions, besides giving
much help to individuals, but kind hearted and generous
as he was known to be, the full extent of his philanthropic
work was never made public.

George R. Maltzberger was born in Reading Aug. 27,
1846. He went first to the public schools, in an old build-
ing on the site of the present Chestnut street school, and
then to the Reading high school. He also went for a while
to a school at Second and Chestnut, now a part of the old
foundry property. When he had finished his studies he
went into his father's tobacco store, and was still there
when the latter died. From that time until 1882, the
business was conducted by the estate, but in that year
George R. Maltzberger purchased the establishment and
has since managed afifairs for himself. He manufactured
a good grade of five and ten cent goods, and is engaged
for the most part in a wholesale trade filling orders in
the different States. He has been eminently successful
and has also built up a very large trade.

Mrs. Maltzberger was a Miss Ella C. Kershncr, daughter
of the well-known carriage manufacturer of Reading,
John H. Kershner. They have had five children, but two of
them are deceased. The others are : Elizabeth, George
R., Jr., and John S. l\Ir. Maltzberger is a Presbyterian
in religious faith, but has never united with any claurch.



In political views he is a Republican, as was also his
father in later years, though just before the war he was
one of the stanchest Abolitionists.

SAMUEL W. DIEFFENBACH, a highly esteemed citi-
zen of Tulpehocken township, Berks county, and the popu-
lar proprietor of the "Brown House" at Mount Aetna, was
born June 15, 1866, in the same township, son of Samuel
and Elizabeth (Fisher) Dieffenbach.

John Jacob Dieffenbach, the great-great-grandfather of
Samuel W., had the reputation of being the first American-
born citizen to make a pipe organ in this country, one of
his first instruments being made in 1787 for the Tulpe-
hocken church. He lived about one and one-half miles
west of Millersburg, Bethel township, Berks county, where
his son. Christian, who succeeded him, continued the busi-
ness for many years. John Jacob Dieffenbach came to
the Tulpehocken settlement from Schoharie, N. Y., and
was first engaged in building wagons, plows and harrows
for the farmers. He had, however, an ambition to build
church organs, and while on a trip to Philadelphia, carefully
inspected the imported organs. Returning home he began
work, but he did not know how to weld the seams of
the metal pipes, nor did any one else in all this part of
the country. Finally a foreign tramp came along, and he
taught Mr. Dieffenbach the secret of the work. This was
the beginning of an extensive industry. Mr. Dieffenbach
first -used animal bones for the keys, but later procured ele-
phant's tusks, sawing them into shape and polishing them
himself. Among his children were Christian and Thomas.
The last named was succeeded in the cabinet making
and undertaking business by his oldest son Henry, now ad-
vanced in years and living on the old homestead.

Christian Dieffenbach, son of John Jacob, succeeded to
the organ business. He died at an advanced age, the
father of the following children : David, grandfather of
Samuel W. ; Elizabeth, who died in Millersburg, at the
age of eighty-one years (m. John Wagner) ; Catherine,
who resided near the old homestead, where she died
aged about seventy-five years (m. Joseph Naftsinger) ;
July, who died unmarried when over seventy years of
age ; and Jonathan, who died in Miamisburg, Ohio, aged
sixty-eight years.

David Dieffenbach, son of Christian, carried on the
business founded by his grandfather and built a number
of instruments, being later succeeded by his son, Thomas.
He married Margaret Smith, and to them were born the
following children: Elias, a cabinet maker and contractor
in Bethel township, making a specialty of bridges and
churches, died aged eighty-six years (he m. Catherine
Holtzman) ; Thomas, born Jan. 22, 1821, and died in Mil-
lersburg in his eightieth year (he m. Maria Loose) ; David,
born in 1823 (m. Mary Rollman) ; Lovina (m. Amos De
Hart of Myerstown) ; Caroline, who died unmarried aged
seventy-six ; and Samuel.

Samuel Dieffenbach was born near Freystown, Bethel
township, where he received his education and learned
the trade of shoemaker, at the same time working more
or less at carpentering and wheelwrighting with his brother
David. Subsequently he engaged in huckstering, and this
he carried on until his death Aug. 26, 1906. On Jan. 29,
1861, he married Elizabeth Fisher, daughter of Peter and
Susanna (Stoudt) Fisher. She is now making her home
at Mt. Aetna, in the house built by Mr. Dieffenbach in 1876.
Of the six children born to Samuel Dieffenbach and wife,
four sons died young, the survivors being Miss Mary,
who lives with her mother; and Samuel W.

Samuel W. Dieffenbach received his early education in
the public schools of the district and the high school, and
after leaving school he assisted his father in the business
for some time, and was then appointed U. S. storekeeper
and gauger at ^'arious distilleries throughout the country
for a period of six years. He married Lizzie Harnish,
daughter of Christian and Sallie (Smith) Harnish, Two
children were born of this union: Ella Mary, at home;
and Anna Maria, who died aged one year. Mr. and Mrs.
Dieffenbach reside at :\It. Aetna, where for eight years
they have successfully conducted the "Brown House"."



BIOGRAPHICAL



475



Mr. Dieffenbach is an active member of the Lutheran
denomination, while his wife belongs to the Reformed
faith. He is a Democrat in politics, but has never aspired
to office. Fraternally he is connected with Camp No. 69,
P. O, S. of A., and the O. of U. A. He hasi a pleasing
personality, and is very popular throughout the township
and county.

B. FRANKLIN KLEINGINNI, a versatile and useful
citizen of the borough of Mohnton, Pa., where he is ef-
ficiently serving as a councilman, was born Nov. 18, 1858,
on the old family homestead in Cumru township, Berks
county. The name was originally spelled Kleinginny.

(I) Johannes Kleinginny, great-great-grandfather of B.
Franklin, was a native of Switzerland, and came to Amer-

■ ica on the "Bilander Thistle," George Huston, commander,
sailing from Rotterdam. He landed at Philadelphia, and
took the oath of allegiance Oct. 28, 1738. In 1759 he
owned land in Cumru township, paying four pounds (equal
to about $10.64). He died in 1773, and his son Johannes,
according to records in the Berks county courthouse, was
made executor of the estate.

(II) Johannes Kleinginny, son of Johannes the emi-
grant, was a farmer in Cumru, where he owned
land. He bought three tracts, the first of thirty-nine
acres on Feb. 6, 1783, from Elizabeth, widow of Benjamin
Lightfoot; the second of twenty- four acres Feb. 3, 1790,
from Peter Gower; the third of fifty acres June 23, 1795,
from George Breining. On his property is an old cemetery
in which, it is believed, he is buried, but the graves are
marked with only rough sandstones from which the in-
scriptions have long since been effaced. Among his chil-
dren were: John, born July 16, 1776, died Jan. 23, 1860,
aged eighty-three years, six months, seven days ; Daniel,
born May 14, 1778, died unmarried Dec. 4, 1856, aged
seventy-eight years, six months, twenty days ; John Adam,
Ijorn May 3, 1783, died March 15, 1861, aged seventy-seven
years, ten months, twelve days; and Benjamin, born July
11, 1791, died Oct. 12, 1878, aged eighty-seven years,
three months, one day..

(III) John Kleinginni, son of Johannes, born July 16,
1776, followed in the footsteps of his father,' and engaged
in agricultural pursuits, becoming in time the owner of
the homestead. He married Susan Krick, who was born
April 26, 1788, daughter of George Krick; she died Sept.

10, 1854, the mother of the following family: Levi, who
settled in Exeter township; Benneville, mentioned below;
Harriet, m. fo George RoHtian, of Cumru township; Su-
sanna, m. to John Haas, of Cumru township ; and Mary, m.
to Elias Warren, of the same township.

(IV) Benneville Kleinginni, son of John, was born Nov.

11, 1819. He early learned the principles of successful
farming under the guidance of his father. He devoted his
entire life to that calling, and was the owner of the old
family home in Cumru, consisting of 164 acres of land.
His father had erected most of the buildings, but he him-
self erected the summer house the year he died. He was
an old-time school master, and taught for five years, meet-
ing with no little success as he was an able scholar, and
an excellent penman, a high accomplishment in his day.
He died March 13, 1875, aged fifty-five years, four months,
two days, well-respected and well-known, with many dear
friends. He was one of the founders of the Wyomissing
cemetery, in which his remains were interred. In politics
he was a Republican, and he held various township offices,
giving of his time and ability freely for the good of the
community. He was earnest and progressive, and he
had the unbounded confidence of the people. He married
Eliza Ann Glassmyer, who was born Oct. 31, 1834, and
who died Oct. 6, 1895, aged sixty years, eleven months,
five days. They were the parents of thirteen children,
namely : Rosa m. John Coldren ; Elmira m. John Reisch ;
Rebecca m. August Hoschaur; Susanna M. died young;
B. Franklin; Henry M., William E. and an infant son
all died of scarlet fever close together; Manalvy A. m.
August Schweitzer, of Reading; Kate m. George Hain, of
Reading; Sallie is mentioned below; James P. m. Maggie



Krick; and Walter S. .m. Carrie Wolf skill, and resides in
Mohnton.

(V) B. Franklin Kleinginni, son of Benneville, was born
at the old family home, and there reared, attending the
township schools -and assisting on the farm. At the age
of sixteen he left home to learn the hatter's trade with
George Hendel & Son, of Edison. Since March 1, 1879,
he has followed this trade during the busy season. He
has a remarkable aptitude for the handling of tools- and
for mechanics in general. As a young man he learned the
watch making trade by analyzing an old grandfather's
clock which had wooden wheels, and he does a great deal
of repairing in the evenings. He is also an able electrician,
having learned in company with several of his neighbors
in Mohnton, and he has wired a number of buildings, in-
cluding Zion United Evangelical Church of Mohnton. He
can handle a saw and chisel as well as a good carpenter, and
he has helped in the erection of a number of houses and
factories. His own residence in Mohnton is at the corner
of Main and Church streets, and is fitted with all modern
improvements, and surrounded by a well-kept lawn and
cement pavements.

Mr. Kleinginni is a Republican, and served the district as
judge of election. In the spring of 1907 when Mohnton
was incorporated into a borough, he was elected a council-
man, and is now serving on the Highway committee. He
and his family attend the Gouglersville Church.

On April 18, 1885, Mr. Kleinginni was married to Miss
Eva Ann Matz, who was born Jan. 13, 1866, daughter of
Henry and Amanda (Huyett) Matz, the former a farmer
in Cumru, and the latter a daughter of John Huyett.' To
Mr. and Mrs. Kleinginni were born three children, one son
and two daughters, as follows : Mayme m. Edward Rudy,
a cigar maker at Mohnton, and they have a daughter,
Helen; a son died in infancy; and Carrie May m. Cleve-
land Hawkins, of Mohnton.

(V) Miss Sallie Kleinginni, daughter of Benneville
and sister to 'B. Franklin, was born in Mohnsville, and is
one of the most remarkable women in the world. She was
born without hands, and only a stump about eight inches
long in lieu of her right arm, and a slightly shorter one
for the left. She has no knees, her feet being where the
knees should be, and each foot has but three toes. Not-
withstanding this misfortune, Miss ICleinginni is far from
helpless. She is as capable a housekeeper as can be found,
does all sorts of needlework, even to making her own
clothes, cares for her garden, with whose flowers she has
phenomenal success, plays the organ, carries on an exten-
sive correspondence, and in fact accomplishes more than
the majority of women blessed with the usual number
of hands and feet. She lives alone in a property inherited
from her father, and her cheerful happy disposition has
endeared her to many friends. She devotes inuch time to
reading, and is a devout student of the Bible. She is
a regular attendant at the United Evangelical Church at
Mohnsville. Many of the things she does are done by in-
tuition, and she cannot explain either manner or method
except by illustrating. She receives many callers, and all
with courtesy. Knowing that her accomplishments are re-
markable, she is exceedingly patient with her visitors,
and cheerfully shows how she manages the many things
she does, and when it comes to that, those who have
seen her ask "Is there any thing a woman with two hands
could do, that this woman has not done successfully?" So
far it is safe to say she has accomplished every thing she
has tried, but she regards the killing and dressing of her
first' chicken as her most difficult feat, although since the
first one she has killed several others.

Miss Kleinginni sells some of her needle-work and also
photographs of herself, and is in comfortable circum-
stances. She lives her bright independent life, and finds
happiness and contentment in a knowledge of duty done,
and she takes great pleasure in her many friends.

CHARLES WANNER SNYDER, a popular citizen of
the borough of Kutztown, Pa., who has been known to the
people of that city as a professional photographer and
artist, was born April 25, 1852. in Kutztown.



476



HISTORY OF BERKS COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



Benjamin Snyder, grandfather of Charles W., was a
shoemaker of Alsace township, but in later life removed
to Kutztown, where he died Dec. S3, 1817, aged eighty-six
years, in, the old historic house on Walnut street which
is now 169 years old. For many years he lived in the
house at the corner of West Oak and Walnut streets,
which has been remodeled and is now owned and occupied
by his grandson, Charles W. Benjamin Snyder married
Eliza Binder, whose parents came from Germany, and
their children were : John (m. Abbie Strausser) ; Anna
(m. George Bossier); Samuel; William (m. Matilda
Ziegler) ; Mary (ra. Frederick Sellsderf ) ; Sarah (m. Isaac
Ziegler) ; and Daniel (m. Caroline Bieber).

Samuel B. Snyder, son of Benjamin, was born March
30, 1817, in Alsace township, Berks county, and died in
December, 1893. Early in life he came to Kutztown, where
he learned the trade of shoemaker, an occupation which
he followed all of his life. Mr. Snyder married Lydia
Adam, daughter of Jacob Adam, of Perry township (whose
genealogy appears elsewhere), and to this union were
born children as follows ; Alinda m. Henry Kemp ; Henry
and Alfred died in infancy; Catherine was twice married,
left one daughter, Minnie Keyser, and died in 1885, in her
thirty-fifth year; Charles W. ; and Annie died in her
twenty-fourth year.

Charles Wanner Snyder was taken by his parents when
seven years of age, to Maxatawny township, and there
obtained his early education in a select school near Roth-
rocksville, and later at the Siegersville Academy, which
was in charge of Prof. George H. Heffner. He then
attended the Keystone State Normal school, after leaving
which he learned the trade of harness-making which, how-
ever, he pursued for but one year. Mr. Snyder had
learned shoemaking at home, and this he followed for a
few years only. After leaving school he learned, during
spare moments, the art of photography with James Eck,
and this he has followed to the present time with much suc-
cess. He also learned free-hand crayon work under Miss
Clara Hartman, now the talented wife of Dr. Samuel A.
Baer, Ph. D. Mr. Snyder is a scenic artist of some note
and a skilled sign painter. Since 1872 he has, however,
given the greater part of his time to photography.

Mr. Snyder is the honored president of the town council,
a position which he has held for five years, having been
Democratic member of the borough council for the past
six years. He and his family are members of St. Paul
Reformed Church, of which he is an elder. Mr. Snyder
is very public-spirited, it being through his quick action
that the grove which is now famous Kutztown Park was
saved from the woodmen. Mr. Snyder began the move-
ment for the saving of the park through public subscrip-
tions and in this he was very successful.

On Nov. 33, 1877, Mr. Snyder married Sallie A. Jackson,
daughter of Charles H. and Amanda (Busby) Jackson;
and to this union have been born these children : L. Girl
m. Albert Lesher, now deceased, and has two children
Carl and Earl; Annie A. m. Wayne Hammel, and has had
two children, W. Errol and Robert E. (died when two
years old); Grace E. died in her fourth year; James
E. died in infancy; Sadie E. graduated at the age of sev-
enteen years from the Keystone State Normal School ;
and Mary R., George C. and Walter E. are at home. Mrs.
Snyder died Feb. 8, 1909.

STRUNK-STRUNCK. A Strunck family lived, as is
supposed from all accounts, in Upper Engelheim, in what is
termed Rhine Prussia, on the west side of the river Rhine
on or near the river Moselle, between the towns of Trier
and Coblentz, about 50 degrees north latitude and about 7
degrees east longitude, from Greenwich. This family left
two sons, Andrum and John Wyant. Andrum died in
1714.

(I) John (Johan) Wyant Strunck, the ancestor who
founded this old family in Berks county, was born in
1693. He came to America in the ship "Phoenix," land-
ing at Philadelphia Oct, 20, 1744. There were 104 pas-
sengers on board this ship. Coming on to Berks county,
he settled in Heidelberg township, engaged in farming, and



was successful in tilling the soil. He reared a large family
to follow in his footsteps, and his descendants reside in
that section of Berks county as well as in the southeastern
part, and are numbered among the most representative
people of this portion of the Keystone State. Johan Wyant
Strunck spent his last years at the home of his son
Lorentz, Avhere he died April 36, 1783, and is buried on
the Strunck private burial-ground in Amity township, now
almost entirely destroyed, on land formerly owned by
Jacob Strunk.

(n) Lorentz Strunck, son of Johan, was the first of the
name to locate in Amity township. He, too, was a farmer,
and is buried probably in the private burial-ground. One
of his sons was Jacob.

(in) Jacob Strunck was a resident of Amity township.
He was born Aug. 18, 1761, and died Nov. 1, 1838, aged
sixty-seven years, two months, thirteen days. He owned
and lived on the farm which is now the property of Frank-
lin Sailer. This was the old Strunck homestead in Amity.
He was twice married. On Sept. 4, 1792, he married Maria
Kutz, and of the eleven children of this union, one died
in infancy. He married (second) Caroline Ginder, who
came from Germany and was first married to a Mr. Knabb.
By her marriage with Mr. Strunck she had one son
and one daughter : Samuel and Caroline (m. Elam Kline
a farmer of Exeter township, who died and is buried at
Schwartzwald Church). Jacob Strunck and his wife are
buried side by side in the north corner of the old burial
ground at Amityville Church.

■(IV) Amos K. Strunck, youngest son of Jacob and
Maria (Kutz) Strunck. was born Nov. 9, 1812, m Amity
township. He came to the vicinity of Boyertown, Berks
county, at an early age. He married Amielia B. Haws,
daughter of John V. R. Haws, and they had five children,
three girls and two boys. Amos K. Strunck
took an active interest in public affairs. From historical
records it appears that he held official positions ,in town,
township and county for a period of forty years. He held
a commission as justice of the peace for about twenty
years in Boyertown. He also published a book of all the
persons who held office in Berks county from 1752 to
1860. This work required a great amount of patient re-
search and an accuracy that could challenge criticism. The
citizens of the county did not fully appreciate the value
of his services, but he found much pleasure in the com-
pilation, because it added much value to the history of
the county in which he spent nearly his whole life.

(V) Ohver H. Strunck, youngest son of Amos K. and
Amelia B., was born in Nesv Berlinville, Berks county,
Nov. 8, 1847. Unlike his father he did not remain in
Berks county, but at an early age traveled over the
country so that he had the advantage of seeing at least
fifteen of the states in the United States. He came back
to Berks county at the age of about twenty-three. He
attended the Mt. Pleasant Academy, in Boyertown, of
which L. M. Koons was principal. Here he prepared
for Franklin and Marshall College, at Lancaster, and was
graduated from that College in 1877, as valedictorian of
his class. In the fall of the same year he entered the
Reformed Theological Seminary at Lancaster, and gradu-
ated from that Institution in 1880. He was ordained a
minister in the Reformed Church at Bloomsburg, Pa., in
the same year. He was called to the Bloomsburg charge
and served as their minister four years and a half. He
resigned the charge to become the" pastor of St. John's
Reformed Church at Schuylkill Haven, Pa., and he entered
upon his work there Dec. 15, 1884, and has served this
congregation for nearly twenty-five years. The member-
ship in church and Sunday school, and the benevolence of
the people have about doubled in this period. He is
the only minister of the gospel in the Strunck fam-
ily. He married Josephine L. Rutledge, of Lancaster, Pa.
They had five children, two of whom are living, the
son in New York City and the daughter at home.

(IV) Samuel Strunk, son of Jacob and Caroline (Gind-
er), was born in Amity township in 1835, and died in
1889. He is buried at Schwartzwald Church in Exeter



BIOGRAPHICAL



477



township. By occupation he was a farmer, and he owned a



Online LibraryMorton L. (Morton Luther) MontgomeryHistorical and biographical annals of Berks County, Pennsylvania, embracing a concise history of the county and a genealogical and biographical record of representative families, comp. by Morton L. Montgomery .. → online text (page 127 of 227)