Morton L. (Morton Luther) Montgomery.

Historical and biographical annals of Berks County, Pennsylvania, embracing a concise history of the county and a genealogical and biographical record of representative families, comp. by Morton L. Montgomery .. online

. (page 130 of 227)
Online LibraryMorton L. (Morton Luther) MontgomeryHistorical and biographical annals of Berks County, Pennsylvania, embracing a concise history of the county and a genealogical and biographical record of representative families, comp. by Morton L. Montgomery .. → online text (page 130 of 227)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


second and third wives, respectively, of Jacob Gery, an
early resident of Hereford township, who was married
three times.

David M. Treichler, born May 6, 1809, died of Bright's
disease May 24, 1878. He was a farmer and miller at
Treichlersville, and successful in business. He was a Re-
publican in politics, a member of the Reformed Church,
and is buried at New Goshenhoppen Church at East
Greenville, Montgomery county. Mr. Treichler was mar-
ried in May, 1840, to Luzetta Gaumer, daughter of John



BIOGRAPHICAL



483



Adam Gaumei; born Nov. 20, 1814, died Dec. 5, 1898,
aged eighty-four years, fifteen days, and they had these
children : Sarah Ann m. William Butz ; Mary is unmar-
ried; James G. is mentioned below; Emma m. Jacob Bit-
tenbender; Lucinda m. John Smith and died in 1888;
David G. m. Maria Schantz; Caroline m. J. M. Grimley;
Samuel m. Amelia Lorentz.

James G. Treichler was reared on his father's farm
and attended the schools of his district and the Normal
Academy at Quakertown, of which Rev. Dr. A. R. Howe
was principal, and later the Macungie Academy, of which
Prof. Oliver Fell was principal. In 1877 he left the farm
and became a salesman for Artman & Treichler, dealers in
carpets, oilcloth and woodenware, of Philadelphia, and dur-<
ing a period of eighteen years he was their traveling sales-
man, his field being all over the eastern part of Pennsyl-
vania and also the central part of the State. In the
spring of 1895 he moved to Kutztown, on the old Kutz
farm, which came into his possession and which he owns to
this day, and for six years his fine team carried milk
in Kutztown and vicinity from his dairy. He had about
forty head of Guernsey and Jersey cows, all high-bred
stock, for which he paid as much as $240 a head. His
farm is in the highest state of cultivation and is one of
the finest farms in the rich Maxatawny valley. His was
one of the first barns in Berks county to be lighted by
electricity. In every detail he is an up-to-date agricul-
turist and operates his land with modern, improved ma-
chinery.

Mr. Treichler was instrumental in starting building op-
erations in the section of Kutztown north of the
Sacony creek, and since the spring of 1900, when the
building boom started, more than sixty fine residences
have been erected, of which the Treichler mansion at
the corner of Park and Treichler avenues is one of the
handsomest and most modern buildings in the community.
He is a director in the Building and Loan' Association
and was also director and treasurer of the Kutztown Park
Association.

On Oct. "i, 1876, he married Anna Eliza Levan, daughter
of David Levan, a prosperous farmer of Maxatawny town-
ship, and his wife, Lydia Jarrett, who had three children,
viz. : Anna Eliza m. James G. Treichler ; Sarah m. H. R.
Nicks ; Alvin lived in Reading many years, but died in
Kutztown where he is buried.

Mr. and Mrs. Treichler have two children : Annie L.
has been thoroughly educated; David L., who resides
at home, assists in managing the estate. In politics
Mr. Treichler is identified with the Republican party. He
and his family are members of St. John's Reformed
Church at Kutztown, in which he has been an elder
for some years.

ERWIN C. GERY is the present proprietor of the hotel
at Siesholtzville in Hereford township, Berks county,
which has been in the hands of the'Gery family for over
fifty years. This family was established in Berks county
one hundred and seventy years ago by Jacob Gery, Erwin
C. Gery being a member of the fifth generation in direct
line of descent from this (pioneer.

Jacob Gery, born May 9, 1721, came to this country from
Switzerland, landing at Philadelphia Sept. 3, 1739. He was
a "redemptioner," and to pay for his passage served a nurn-
ber of years with Valentine Griesemere, of Hereford, in
Berks county, Pa. In later years, like his Biblical namesake,
he married his master's daughter, Gertrude Griesemere,
born May 15, 1738. Jacob Gery purchased six hundred
acres of land, located partly in what is now Upper Han-
over township, Montgomery county, and partly in Here-
ford township, Berks county. He sold some of it, clearing
the remainder, upon which he erected the necessary build-
ings and made many improvements. His old place is now
the property of a descendant, Thomas H. Gery. The orig-
inal dwelling was used as late as 1803, when the house
which is at present on the place was built. The old dwell-
ing served as a schoolhouse for a number of years. Jacob
Gery understood th« art of making tile, and erected a hut
and kilns for manufacturing the same, and on this account



the place was known from the Delaware to the Schuylkill
river as Gery's Tile Hut or "Ziegel Huette." Jacob Gery
died Feb. 25, 1808, some years after his wife, who passed
away Feb. 8, 1802. They are buried in the old graveyard
at New Goshenhoppen Church.* Nine children were born
to this pioneer couple: Jacob, John Adam; John, Peter,
Michael, Rebecca, Elizabeth, Anna Maria and Catharine.

Jacob Gery, son of Jacob and Gertrude, was born Feb.
11, 1754, in Montgomery county, Pa., and died Sept. 28,
1828, aged seventy-four years, seven months, seventeen
days; he is buried at New Goshenhoppen Church. By
occupation he was a farmer, owning a large farm. He
was married three times, first to Elizabeth Lauer, by
whom he had four children, Jacob, Peter, Sarah and John.
His second wife, Anna Treichler, 1763-1792, bore him one
child, that died in infancy, and by his third union, with
Elizabeth Treichler (1768-1851), sister of Anna, he had
children as follows : Elizabeth, Michael, Joseph, David,
Maria (or Polly) and Julia.

Michael Gery, son of Jacob and Elizabeth, was bom
Feb. 22, 1795, on the old Gery homestead, and died at Perry-
viile (now Harlem), in Hereford township, Aug. 17,
1870, aged seventy-five years, five months, twenty-five days.
Coming to Hereford township in 1823, he passed the rest
of his life there, owning a seventy-four-acre farm at what
is now Harlem, which he cultivated. He also carried on an
oil mill which stood on his farm, at the source of the
Perkiomen creek, running this mill profitably for a period
of twenty-two years, and he was likewise successful as a
store and hotel keeper, conducting the hotel at Harlem
from 1832 until 187-. His hotel was a popular resting
place for the early residents of Upper Berks' county who
passed through on their way from Albany, Greenwich,
Windsor, Richmond, Maxatawny and Longswamp town-
ships to Philadelphia, whither they took their grain and
produce to market. Michael Gery's son, Charles N. Gery,
now one of the venerable residents of Hereford township,
recalls that on a Monday morning fifty-two teams stopped
there. Whiskey then sold for three cents a glass, and a
cigar was given for good-will to each "smaller." As might
be expected from one of his energetic nature and wide
acquaintance, he was a leading and influential spirit in his
community, active and aggressive, interested in politics ancl
alive to the needs of his community. In 1852 he was
county commissioner, during that time assisting in the
erection of the Berks county prison. He was one of the
organizers of the Goshenhoppen Mutual Fire Insurance
Company, of which he was a director many years, and
the family has been represented on the board of directors
up to the present time, Michael Gery retiring in favor of
his son Charles N., who after a service of thirteen years
retired in favor of his son, Erwin C, who has been a
director of the company since 1890. Michael Gery and
his son and grandson have been chosen many times as
county and State delegates in their connection with this
concern. The grandfather was a man of medium height,
but stout, commanding in appearance, and much respected
among his friends and acquaintances. He was twice mar-
ried, first to Sally Nuss, born March 7, 1795, died July
25, 1844, aged forty-nine years, four months, eighteen
days, and they had a family of twelve children, six sons
and six daughters: Daniel, Ephraim, David (1830-1884),
Charles N., Polly, Elizabeth, Judith, Sarah, Franklin, Caro-
line, Matilda and Michael. By his second wife, Elizabeth
(Moll), he had two sons, Milton M. (who is an auctioneer)
and Jacob M. Michael Gery and his family were German
.Reformed members of Huff's Church, where he is buried.

Charles N. Gery, 5on of Michael, was born Oct. 28,
1823, in Upper Hanover township, Montgomery county.
He was less than a year old -when his father settled in
Hereford township, Berks county, and there he received
his education, attending the old pay schools then in Vogue.
Remaining upon the farm until he was eighteen, he then
entered the store at Henningsville, in Longswamp township,
as a clerk, being engaged there four years. In 1845 he moved
to Siesholtzville, where in partnership with his father he
kept the store for one and a half years, after which they
conducted the store at Harlem (then Perryville) for eight



484



HISTORY OF BERKS COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



and a half years, at the end of that time dissolving partner-
ship. Returning then ta Siesholtzville he again com-
menced keeping store there, and he has been interested in
that business ever since, the firm now being Gery & Moll,
as it has been ever si^^e he admitted his son-in-law,
William' B. Moll, to a partnership. They carry a full line
of general merchandise, and are considered the most re-
liable merchants in this section. Mr. Gery was appointed
postmaster at Siesholtzville in 1854, by President James
A. Pierce, and served until the post office was abandoned,
Nov. 30, 1908, upon the establishment of a rural free
delivery route. No citizen of eastern Berks county is
held in higher esteem than Mr. Gery, who is one of the
oldest and best known residents of that locality. He has
always been an active man, winning success by industry
and devotion to business, and he is one of the heavy tax-
payers of his township, owning the store and hotel prop-
erty as well as several dwellings at Siesholtzville. He.
served one term' of three years as township auditor when
the office was literally thrust upon him, but with this ex-
ception has taken no part in public life, having stead-
fastly refused offers of preferment and trust.

In 1848 Mr. Gery married Elizabeth Moll, born Jan. 24,
1827, died Dec. 26, 1895, and six children were born to
them : (1) Malinda m. William B. Moll, who is mentioned
elsewhere in this work. (2) Sally Ann m. Alfred A. Schall,
and is deceased. (3) Erwin C. is mentioned later. (4)
Allen G. is mentioned elsewhere. (5) Cassie Ann m. Dr.
J. L. Roth, of Red Hill, Montgomery Co., Pa., and is de-
ceased. (6) Dr. Ambrose M. is a prominent physician and
surgeon at Coopersburg, Pa., where he is also the pro-
prietor of the "Vanness Hotel." Charles N. Gery and his
family are Reformed members of Huff's Church, which
he served as treasurer for fourteen years.

Erwin C. Gery was born Dec. 2, 1852, and has passed
practically his entire life in Hereford township. He re-
ceived a thorough education, which was begun in the
township schools and continued at the Keystone State Nor-
mal School, at Kutztown (where he was under three
principals, Profs. John S. Ermentrout, Horn and Schaeff-
er), the Seminary at Kulpsville, Montgomery county, and
the Eastman Business College, at Poughkeepsie, N. Y.,
from which he was graduated in 1875. His boyhood days
were spent in Siesholtzville, where he clerked, in his fath-
er's store from the time he could be of any use, also as-
sisting in the hotel and upon the farm. After graduating
from the business college he clerked in the store until
early in 1877, on March 27th of which year he took charge
of the hotel at Siesholtzville, which he has conducted
ever since. It is one of the oldest hostelries in the county,
and has been in the Gery family since 1854, Charles N.
Gery having carried it on for twenty-one years before
Erwin C. Gery took charge. There are sixteen rooms, and
the place is well patronized by the traveling public, Mr.
Gery being one of the most popular landlords in his sec-
tion, for he conducts a reliable hotel and bears a favor-
able reputation among the best citizens of the county.
Siesholtzville is located on the road from Hamburg to
Philadelphia, and from Allentown to Reading, and the
hotel is one of the landmarks in its neighborhood. The
building is an old stone structure erected during the
French and Indian war.

Mr. Gery owns considerable real estate in and around
Siesholtzville, having several houses in the vicinity which
he rents, and in connection with the hotel property he
has thirty acres of land. Since 1890 he has been con-
nected as a director with the Goshenhoppen Mutual Fir^
Insurance Company, which has risks at present amounting
to nearly $16,000,000. He has been a director of the
National Bank of Topton since its organization in 1905.
He is one of the best known Democrats in Berks county,
being a strong advocate of the principles of his party, in
whose interests he has been an active worker from the
age of nineteen years. He has served many times as
county and State delegate, was school director of his
towns.hip for three years, and in the spring of 1908 was
a candidate for the office of county treasurer, making a
very creditable run. Mr. Gery is well known in fraternal



circles, being a member of Perkiomen Lofige, No. 595, F.
& A. M., of East Greenville, Pa.; of Covenant Command-
ery, No. 58, A. & I. O. K. of M., of Alburtis, Pa.; and
a charter member of Camp No. 470, P. O. S. of A., of
Siesholtzville, of which he was the first past president, and
which he has represented many times as delegate at State
and district conventions.

On June 24, 1876, Mr. Gery was married to Lizzie Baus,
daughter of John and Elizabeth (Geissinger) Baus, of
Hereford township. To this union have been born three
children : Harry C, born June 12, 1877, is married to
Jennie Reinert, and they reside at Reading, Berks Co.,
Pa.; Lizzie, born in 1882, died in 1886; Donald E. was
born March 9, 1897. Mr. Gery and his family are Re^
formed members of Huff's Church. He was the leader
of the choir there for nine years, during which time
he sang bass, and he was connected with the choir in all
twenty-three years. He was one of the last class of
catechumens taught by Rev. Alfred Hennan at Huff's
Church.

WILLIAM T. SNYDER, alderman of the Fifteenth
ward of Reading, Pa., and one of the successful and in-
fluential business men of the city, is the grandson of
Daniel H. Schneider, who is remembered by the older
residents of Berks county as a prominent farmer and miller
of Exeter township, and the son of W. H. Schneider,
for many years a miller in the same township, and for
thirty years its justice of the peace. He died in Reading,
Oct. 9, 1905, at the ripe age of seventy-eight years. The
Alderman's mother was Hannah Tobias, who died in 1865,
the daughter of a Berks county farmer. To W. H. and
Hannah Schneider were born six children, one of whom,
Susan, died at eighteen. Those living are : Kate, widow
of John K. Young, proprietor of "Stonersville Hotel" in
Exeter township at the time of his decease; Hannah,
wife of Howard E. Ahrens, a contractor of Reading;
Deborah, wife of Albert H. Adams, truck and dairy
farmer of Exeter township; Elizabeth, wife of Charles M.
Richardson, proprietor of a creamery at Bernville, and
one of the owners of the Ahrens & Richardson cream-
eries; and William T.

William T. Snyder, who Americanized the spelling of
the family name, was born on the old homestead in Ex-
eter township, Dec. 3, 1858. He received a fair common
school education, and then passed the time until a year
after his majority in helping his father about the mill.
At twenty-two he left home and entered the service of the
Philadelphia & Reading Railway Company at Pottstown,
and after three years came to Reading, where he was
for the same period of time proprietor of the "Bridgeport
Hotel." On the passage of the Brooks high license law
he closed the hotel and started coal, flour and feed busi-
ness. In 1894 he erected the fine business building which
he now occupies and continued the business, adding a
stock of fancy groceries.

Mr. Snyder even as a boy had opinions as to public
matters. When he reached man's estate and went into
business for himself this characteristic became more
marked, and with the wisdom tfeat came with experience
personal and by observation, these opinions began to at-
tract the attention of his friends and neighbors on account
of their soundness. At thirty he was in Reading's com-
mon council, where for two terms his voice was heard and
respected m the framing of ordinances for the betterment
of the city. This was back in 1887-88. Again in 1894 he
became a member of the city's legislative body, this time
as alderman from the Fifteenth ward, and he is now serv-
ing his fourth term. Though a Democrat in political faith.
Alderman Snyder does not allow politics to enter into
questions upon which he is called upon to vote in the
sessions of the board. In national, State and county affairs
he IS however, a partisan, believing thoroughly in the ef-
ticacy of Democratic principles and policies.

Unhke many leading men. Alderman Snyder takes a
lively interest in religious affairs. He is a working mem-
ber of the St. Mark's Reformed Church of Reading and
tor the past ten years has acted as treasurer. During



BIOGRAPHICAL * 485

the building of the splendid $55,000 church edifice in which (1) Matthias m. (first) Sallie Ludwig, and had two children,

the congregation now worships, Mr. Snyder was a member William and Ethel; and m. (second) Lilla M. Keiger,

of the Building committee and disbursed the funds, call- who bore him five children, Russell^ Anna, Ellsworth,

ing forth the thanks of his church brethren for the satis- Robert and George. (3) Ellsworth is unmarried. (3)

factory manner in which that part of the work was done. Irvin m^ Annie Knabb, and has one child, Paul. (4)

In the business world Alderman Snyder is regarded Isaac m. Anna Nagle, and has three children, Ralph, Syj-

with confidence by his associates, being the first president vanus and A. Florence. (5) A. Delila m. Henry Harri-

of the Pennsylvania Retail Coal Merchants Association, son Koch, and has five children, Sarah, Ruth, Esther,

and now secretary of the Retail Coal Dealers Association Isaac and Henry M. (6) Morris m. Ida Herflicker (no

of Reading. Since the death of his father he has been issue). (7) John died at the age of five days. (8) Linton

treasurer of the Oley Turnpike Road Company. He is ra. Leah Hoffman and has one child, Linton E. (9) Mary

also a member of the fraternal organization known as the F. m. John R. Haws, and has one child, John M.
P. O. S. of A.; and of the Masonic fraternity.

On July 3, 1881, Mr. Snyder married Sarah H., daugh- JAMES B. FUNK, miller near Clayton, in Hereford

ter of John G. Brower, of Boyertown, a contracting car- township, Berks county, was born Jan. 17, 1845, in Wash-

penter of that place. To this union have been born three ington township, this county, and has lived at his present

children, as follows : Elmina, born 1883, wife of John D. place, on the Butter Valley creek, since 1873. He is a

Bear, of Reading; William B., born 1887, in business son of Philip H. Funk and grandson of Rev. Henry Funk,

with his father; and John LeRoy, a student in the public (I) The first of the Funk family to come to America

schools. The life of Alderman Snyder has been one of was Henry Funk, who emigrated from the Palatinate or

earnest endeavor for the advancement of society in general from Holland in 1719, and settled in Franconia township,

and Reading in particular, and he is now enjoying the Montgomery county, Pa. He built a mill along Indian

merited esteem of a host of friends, who delight to do Creek, and also carried on a large farm. He was a deep

him honor on all proper occasions. scholar, and was well educated for the times, and was

the author of two books which passed through several
ISAAC F. MARCH, late one of the most respected editions. His greatest work probably was when, in con-
citizens of Birdsboro, where he had been prominent in nection with Diehlman Kalb,,be supervised the translation
the business world and active in the town government for from Dutch into German of "The Martyrs Mirror," a
many years, was a native of Philadelphia, born there July great historical work on the Mennonites, 1,512 folio pages,
6, 1841. which was printed at Ephrata, Pa., in 1748, and was the
Early deprived of his parents he was reared by rela- largest work published in Colonial times. Henry Funk was
tives near Pottstown. As soon as he was old enough to a minister and bishop in the Mennonite Church. He died
learn a trade, he was sent to a grist mill near Amityville, in 1760. By his wife, Anne Meyer, he had ten children —
there to acquire such knowledge as would enable him to be four sons and six daughters — one of the sons bearing the
a first class miller. For many years he worked at the father's name, Henry (3).

Livingood mill on Ironstone creek, and later he operated (II) Henry Funk (2) son of Rev. Henry,' was born

March's Mill on the Manatawny near Pottstown, and for in Montgomery county. Pa., about 1730. In 1786 he

about five years was similarly engaged at Monocacy. In moved to Virginia, where he died some years later. For

1880 he came to Birdsboro and engaged in the lumber and many years he was a Mennonite minister, but during the

coal business, but in time gave it up and opened a like Revolutionary times, he took the part of Congress and

line at Bridgeport under the firm name of I. F. _ March the American people, and for this he and his adherents

S: Son. At the end of a few years he sold out to his sons, were expelled from the Mennonite communion. However,

who still carry it on under the name of I. F. March's Sons, he afterward preached independently. He married Barbara

During the last three years of his life he had a number Showalter, and they had thirteen children, all of whom

of interests, and among the positions he held may be men- except Jacob accompanied their father to Virginia,

tioned: president of the Alabama Coal, Mineral and Lum- (III) Jacob Funk, son of Henry (2), was born in 1761,

ber^ Company, of Cordova, Ala. ; general manager of the and died in Chester county. Pa., in 1817. He, too, became

Berks Coal Company, of Jasper, Ala.; president of the a minister in the Mennonite church. He married Mary

Watts 'Creek Jellico Coal Company, of Wofford, Ky. ; Shelly, and they had nine children — six daughters and

director in the Pennsylvania Coal Company, of Drifton, three sons.

Ala.; vice president of the First National Bank of Birds- (IV) Henry Funk, son of Rev. Jacob, was born in 1787,
boro. and died in 1826. He became a Mennonite minister in
Mr. March was always a busy man, but like most busy Hereford, now a part of Washington, township, Berks
men he kept constantly on the alert for anything that county. He married Mary Hoch, and they had six child-
affected the interests of his community. He was keenly ren, among_ them a son named Philip H.
interested in public affairs, and was active in the work of (V) Philip H. Funk was born in Washington township,
the Democratic party. In 1891 he was elected treasurer near Schultzville, and in his earlier life taught school in
of Berks county, and served a three-year term. He also Lancaster county, but later engaged in farming. He was
served three years in the town council of Birdsboro, being a Mennonite, and is buried at the Hereford meeting-house
the first Democrat to win that honor after the two parties at Bally. His wife was Anna Bechtel, daughter of John
had named candidates or changed from the former method Bechtel, and they had two children, Mary (m. Abraham
of uniting on a citizens' ticket. He was connected with the Clemmer) and James B. After the death of Philip H.
Birdsboro Electric Company and Friendship Fire Company, Funk his widow married Jacob Johnson, by whom she
No. 1. He had been a member of and an official ,in the had three children : Ephraim ; Abraham, who died at Read-
Amityville Lutheran Church, and after locating in 'Birds- ing, where he was a well-known dentist; and Milton, of
boro joined St. Mark's Church. He was prominent in New Berlinville, Pennsylvania.

Masonic circles, and also belonged to Neversink Lpdge, No. (VI) James B. Funk received his education in the public

514, I. O. O. F. In all his business affairs Mr. March schools and at Freeland Seminary (now Ursinus College),



Online LibraryMorton L. (Morton Luther) MontgomeryHistorical and biographical annals of Berks County, Pennsylvania, embracing a concise history of the county and a genealogical and biographical record of representative families, comp. by Morton L. Montgomery .. → online text (page 130 of 227)