Morton L. (Morton Luther) Montgomery.

Historical and biographical annals of Berks County, Pennsylvania, embracing a concise history of the county and a genealogical and biographical record of representative families, comp. by Morton L. Montgomery .. online

. (page 132 of 227)
Online LibraryMorton L. (Morton Luther) MontgomeryHistorical and biographical annals of Berks County, Pennsylvania, embracing a concise history of the county and a genealogical and biographical record of representative families, comp. by Morton L. Montgomery .. → online text (page 132 of 227)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


wife, of Reading, and they became the parents of two chil-
dren : Ida Catharine, who died at the age of twelve years,
and Charles Henry, who died at the age of fifteen years.
In all Mr. Huntzinger's labors as a clergyman, Mrs. Hunt-
zinger has given him her warmest sympathy and most
effective co-operation, to which he attributes a considerable
share of his ministerial success. Mrs. Huntzinger's father
died in 1876, aged seventy-two years ; and her mother
(daughter of Charles Birch) died in 1890, aged seventy-
nine years.

In 3887, Mr. Huntzinger's health having become im-
paired, his congregation granted him leave of absence, and
he made an extended trip to Europe for recreation and
recuperation during a period of three months. He was
accompanied by a personal friend, George Eltz, and they
together visited Ireland, Wales, England, Holland, Bel-
gium, Germany, Austria, Italy, Switzerland and France.
In 1897, he made a second foreign tour, visiting the
northern and central portions of Germany, the land of
his forefathers. In 1902, in company with Mr. Edwin
Boone (cashier and vice-president of the National Union
Bank of Reading), he spent a month visiting Jamaica, one
of the West Indian Islands. In 1905, with Mr. Boone again
as a companion, he made a third journey to Europe, cov-
ering five weeks, they having visited France, England. Hol-
land and the Rhine country, and they again in 1907, during
July and August, traveled abroad, visiting Norway, Swed-
en, Denmark and Germany. On the fifth day of the trip
going (which was a Sunday) Rev. Mr. Huntzinger was
invited to conduct religious services, and in appreciation of
his most interesting sermon a large audience raised a
sum of money which, at his suggestion, was presented to
the South Holland Life Saving Association.

Rev. Mr. Huntzinger took a sixth trip abroad by visiting,
from Jan. 22d to Feb. 23d, 1909, a number of the West
Indian Islands (St. Thomas, Porto Rico, Haiti, Santo
Domingo, Grenada, Dominica, the Bahamas, Martinique,




a". /^//^f^iT^:^^



■-u/e-ir



BIOGRAPHICAL



489-



Cuba, Jamaica), Venezuela and Panama, where the con-
struction of the canal^ was going on and in two hours
passed from the waters of the Atlantic ocean to the
waters of the Pacific. While inspecting the canal he
met the distinguished party of President-elect Taft. On
his Way home he had the extraordinary pleasure of wit-
nessing the Presidential reception of the battle-ship fleet
from its cruise around the world at Hampton Roads, the
fleet passing his ship, the "Oceana," on both sides within
speaking distance. During the homeward journey on the
vessel, Mr. Huntzinger was invited to hold religious ser-
vices on Sunday, Feb. 21st, and on that occasion the aud-
ience, comprising over three hundred passengers (who had
come to know that he had .been pastor of St. Luke's
Lutheran Church at Reading for forty years), openly
said that they could well understand how a pastor of such
ability and pleasing address should continue his ministra-
tion to a single congregation for so long .a period of time.

JEREMIAH DIEROLF, burgess and one of the leading
citizens of Bechtelsville, Pa., was born in Pike township,
Berks county, Sept. 23, 1851, son of George, grandson of
Adam and great-grandson of Andraes.

(I) Andraes Dierolf, the ancestor of the family in Amer-
ica, is found in 1782 already settled in Earl township,
Berks county, where he probably located during the Revolu-
tion. His will, which he made Jan. 10, 1803, is on record
in Will Book 4, page 262, in the Berks county court-house.
Andraes Dierolf died in December, 1804. His children
were as follows: Peter; Henry; Adam; John; Abraham;
Abraham; Elizabeth, wife of Philip Endi; Catherine, wife
of John Faver; and Christina, who died before her father,
her child, Elizabeth, being mentioned in Andraes Dierolf's
will. The executors of the will were Peter Dierolf and
John Faver.

(H) Adam Dierolf lived in Pike township, back of the
Hill Church, where he is buried. He was a Lutheran
member of that church. He was born Nov. 1, 1770, and
died Jan. 13, 1847. His wife, Margaret, was born in 1771,
and died in 1841, in her seventieth year. They had these
children : Rebecca m. George Fraunheiser ; Maricha m.
John Moyer ; Betzy m. Adam Shenkel ; Adam ; George ;
Andrew had children as follows — ^John, Levi, William,
Abraham and Caroline; and Charles had children as fol-
lows — ^James, Adam, Charles, Lizzie, Mary and another
daughter.

(HI) George Dierolf, son of Adam and father of Jere-
miah, was born Dec. 1, 1803, lived near Hill Church in
Pike township, and was a shoemaker by trade, also culti-
vating his own small tract of land. He died Sept. 23, 1884,
and is buried in the cemetery at Hill Church. His wife
was Elizabeth Fraunheiser, daughter of John Fraunheiser.
She was born in 1812 and died in 1890. They had these
children : John F. ; Polly, widow, of Wendel Bassinger, a
native of Germany; Elizabeth, widow of Percival Heydt;
Jeremiah; Jacob; Samuel; Adarh and Catharine.

(HI) Adam Dierolf, son of Adam and brother of
George, married Polly Moyer, of Pike township, and they
had the following children : Adam, John, Jacob, Mary,
Kate and Sally. Shortly after his marriage Adam Dierolf
moved to Clarion county, Pennsylvania.

(IV) Jeremiah Dierolf son of Georgs, was reared in the
township in which he was born, and attended the district
schools, until twenty. He early became, acquainted with
farm Ufe, and learned all its details. About 1887 he em-
barked in a tailoring business at Bechtelsville, and followed
it twenty years. He employed as many as thirty people,
having a pay roll larger than that of any other man
in Bechtelsville. He manufactured trousers, his goods being
cut by houses in Philadelphia and made up in Bechtels-
ville, but returned to Philadelphia. Mr. Dierolf was very
successful in this business. He has a fine peach orchard
covering seven acres in Colebrookdale township, and one
of nine acres in Washington township. The family resi-
dence is on Spring street in Bechtelsville borough, of
which he is the leading citizen, and most influential man.
In politics he is a Democrat, and served the borough as
school director for a number of years, being treasurer of



the board the greater portion of the time. He is chief
burgess of Bechtelsville and is interested in the best enter-
prises of the town. Fraternally he is a member of Landis-
ville Council, No. 1007, O. of I. A. He and his family are
consistent members of the Lutheran denomination of Hill
church, where many of the Dierolfs are buried.

On July 14, 1877, Mr. Dierolf was married to Mary Ann
Fry, daughter of the late Isaac and Maria (Dotterer)
Fry, of District township. Their children are : Harvey
is a farmer in Washington township ; Annie married
Charles Moyer, and lives at Bechtelsville; Gertrude mar-
ried Rev. Aaron L. Brumbach, of Spring Grove, Pa.;
Clara died in infancy; and John is an operator for the
Pennsylvania Railroad. The family are well and favorably
known throughout Berks county, and Mr. Dierolf can well
be proud of what he has accomplished in his long and
useful life.

(IV) John F. Dierolf, son of George and brother of Jere-
miah, was born April 29, 1832, at Kummers Mill in Wash-
ington township, and now resides in Colebrookdale town-
ship. He was reared to farm life, and is a laborer. He
makes his home with his son John H., in Colebrookdale
township. He and his family are all members of Hill
Church. He married Leah Heydt, daughter of Jacob
Heydt, of Washington township. She died in 1906, aged
seventy-four years, four months and fifteen days, and
is buried at Hill church. Their children were : John H. ;
Amanda m. Henry Meitzler; Jacob resides at Reading;
Dianah m. Addion Muther, of Boyertown ; and Mary Ann,
Elizabeth and George are all three deceased.

DR. ALBERT RIGGS DURHAM, a well-known drug-
gist at Reading, Pa., holding especially close relations with
the citizens of that place by his untiring efforts on behalf
of the Reading Library, in which he was serving as librarian,
as well as secretary and treasurer of the board of the
original company, devoting to that cause a whole-hearted
zeal to which was largely due the flourishing condition of
the institution, died at his home, March 21, 1907.

Albert R. Durham was born in the village of Tunk-
hannock, Wyoming Co., Pa., in 1842. His father, a mer-
chant, was seized with the gold fever and in 1850 went to
California. He died on his way home three years later,
worn out by the exposure and hardships he had under-
gone. Left an orphan at this early age, the boy's youth
was passed in various places, and he lived in Northern
New Jersey, Schuylkill county, Pa., the Wyoming Valley
and at Davenport, Iowa. In the latter place he saw real
frontier life, for at that time the only railroad to the
West stopped at what is now Rock Island, 111., and on the
opposite shore of the Mississippi river - Indians were
camped.

In 1857 Dr. Durham, then fifteen years of age, settled
in Reading for what proved to be a permanent residence.
He was admitted to the high school on a special examina-
tion, and three years later was graduated at the head of
the class of 1860. During this period he began writing for
the Reading newspapers, and finally drifted into' the
office of the Gazette, and later of the Schuylkill Journal.
During the Lincoln campaign he also did a great deal of re-
porting for the Leader. His first experience in library
work was also gained at this period and aroused the
deep interest in the subject from which later Reading was
to profit so much. In the latter part of his high school
course he was librarian of the library there, and his work
was so satisfactory that shortly after his graduation he
was chosen to take charge of the Reading Library. This
institution had up to this time passed through various
fluctuations, but it was then flourishing and occupied quart-
ers in the building on North Sixth street, where the Daily
Times office is now. His connection with it, however, was
not destined to be very lengthy.

During the Civil war Mr. Durham was enlisted in times
of special stress, first in Company E, 11th P. V. I., and his
regiment was one which took part in the battle of An-
tietam. He enlisted a second time when Lee invaded
Pennsylvania, joining Company C, 42d P. V. I. In both
cases he received honorable discharges.



490



HISTORY OF BERKS COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



Returning to Reading in 1868, be began studying pbar-
macy under Dr. J. K. McCurdy, and be was ever afterward
engaged in tbat business, bis career covering about tbirty-
eight years. For tbe greater part of that time he was
alone, but for nearly eleven years be had been in partner-
ship with Dr. McCurdy, at No. 16 South Fifth street.
Dr. Durham belonged to the Berks County Pharmaceutical
Association, and also to the State Association, having
been a member of tbe latter organization from its in-
ception. He was one of the few druggists who by law are
entitled to use the prefix "Dr." to their names.

When the Reading Savings Bank closed its doors in
1877, the Reading Library was involved in its failure, be-
cause tbe president of the bank was also president of the
Library Company, and held all its property in bis own
name as trustee. Dr. Durham promptly began a can-
vass among the stockholders of the Company, enlisting
its friends in an attempt to save it, and came to a meeting
called for the purpose of reorganization, with proxies
enough to elect a board of directors, whose plans and
patient labors have since culminated in the great achieve-
ment of establishing the library firmly upon its own feet.
From that time on until his death Dr. Durham was a
director, while in December, 1891, he was not only chosen
secretary and treasurer of the board, but was made librar-
ian. From the date of his installation there was no
baiting in the progress of the Free Library movement.
The time was ripe, and there were many friends able and
willing to assist in the work. The result is more than
gratifying; within the last two years the number of per-
sons drawing books has risen to over 13,000 while there
are now over 19,000 books in the library, in addition to
about 6,000 government publications, a collection gathered
in a special room on the third floor. Dr. Durham was
well read and conversant with a number of languages, and
was familiar with the best in tbe literature of all coun-
tries. He was often called the "Father of the Public
Library of Reading."

Dr. Durham was married Feb. 9, 1869, to Miss Sarah
Ann McCurdy, daughter of his late partner. In tbe
years after their marriage eight children were born to
them, five of them now deceased — Annie Blythe, John Mc-
Curdy, Elizabeth Riggs, Caroline Rose and Sallie McCurdy.
The three who survive are : Helen, Mrs. Frederic C.
Heckman; Marian; and Donald Blythe, an instructor in
Mt. Tamalpais Military Academy, San Raphael, Cal. Dr.
Durham was a consistent member of the First Presby-
terian Church, a member of the choir, and for some time
choir master. ' He belonged to tbe Reading Choral Society,
Reading High School Alumni, Keim Post, No. 76, G. A. R.,
Pennsylvania Library Club, and the Keystone State Library
Association.

JOHN S. SCHAPPELL, a resident of New Berlinville,
Berks county, was born July 23, 1858, in Greenwich town-
ship, son of Jesse Schappell. He is a member of a family
long and numerously represented in the county, and ac-
counts of its early history and origin will be found
elsewhere. Here we give only the direct line of John S.
Schappell.

(I) According to tbe tombstone inscription at Zion's
Church, in Perry (formerly Windsor) township, Jere-
mias Schappelle was born in 1715, and he died Oct. 15,
1804. His wife Catharine, born in 1724, passed away
June 8, 1801. Tbe will of Jeremiah Shappel is on record
in Berks county court-bouse in Will Book A, p. 505. It
was made Feb. 11, 1803, and probated Jan. 7, 1805. At
the time the will was made he was a resident of Windsor
township. The following children are mentioned in the
will : Jacob (who was made executor of his father's
estate), Matthias, Jeremiah, Magdalena and Catharine.
In the cemetery at Zion's Church is a tombstone bearing
tbe following inscription: "Elizabeth Schappelle, wife of
Jeremias, formerly of Deitschland, born Feb. 16, 1771,
died July 9, 1817, aged forty-six years, five months, twenty-
three days." This probably refers to the wife of Jeremias
or Jeremiah, son of (I) Jeremias.



Earlier forms of this name were Schappelle, Choppelle,
Scbobbel and Shobel, but it is now more commonly found
Shappell, Schappell and Schappel.

(II) Jacob Schappell, son of Jeremias, was better known
as "Jockey," a nickname evidently taken from the German
pronunciation of his name. He was born in Wittenberg,
Germany, Feb. 2, 1744, and he died Sept. 11, 1826. As
stated above he was tbe executor of his father's will
in 1805. His wife Susanna was bom Feb. 2, 1731, and
she died July 24, 1828. They are both buried at Zion's
Church. Jeremias, Eberhart and Jockey Schappell were
founders of the original Zion's Church. Tradition says
Jacob and Susanna reared a large family, some of their
children, however, dying in infancy and childhood. Of
those of whom there is record may be mentioned : Peter,
born April 19, 1770 ; Col. Jeremiah, born March 20, 1774 ;
Daniel, -who was a taxable resident in Manbeim township,
Schuylkill county, in 1790, where he reared a family and
where his descendants still live; and Hannah, who mar-
ried Georg Hoffman, a farmer of Perry township.

There is a valley in Perry township known to the resi-
dents there as Schappells Dale, because of the many
Schappells living there.

(III) Peter Schappell, son of Jacob and Susanna, born
April 19, 1770, died Nov. 18, 1851. He was a farmer in Wind-
sor township, and he and his family all belonged to Zion's
Church, and are buried in the cemetery there. He was
twice married. His first wife was Elizabeth Lenhart
(1708-1790), and his second Annie Kosch (1778-1841).
His children were: Jacob located in Schuylkill county;
Benjamin died young; Daniel settled in Schuylkill county;
Samuel settled in Windsor township ; John settled in Rich-
mond township, Berks county; Mary m. William Miller;
Kate m. Martin Eisenbaur; Elizabeth m. Jacob Boyer;
a daughter m. Anthony Adam; and Solomon.

(IV) John Schappell, son of Peter and Annie (Kosch),
was born in 1801 and died aged forty-eight years. By
trade he was a weaver, but he also worked on farms in
Windsor township. He married Sarah Hefifner, daughter
of Jacob and Beckie (Dietrich) Heffner, and they bad is-
sue as follows: John; Betsey m. Moses Miller; Benjamin
died young; John (2); Simon died aged seventeen years;
Jesse became a farmer of Perry township ; Mary m. Jacob
Levan; Ann m. Isaac Hardinger ; Kate m. (first) Henry
Kemmerlmg and (second) Samuel Trautman; and Samuel
settled in Albany township.

(V) Jesse Schappell, son of John and Sarah (Heffner),
was born in Windsor township July 17, 1829. When quite
young his father sold his services to a farmer for seven
years, one of the stipulations of tbe contract being tbat
young Jesse should be sent to school for a period of
nine months, but when reckoning was made it was found
that he had secured less than eight months' schooling.
During this time he learned to read and write German
fairly well, which was tbe only education he ever re-
ceived. Mr. Schappell and bis wife are devoted Chris-
tians and regular attendants at the U. B. Church in Shoe-
makersville. On Dec. 14, 1850, Mr. Schappell married
Elizabeth Shiffert, born Jan, 18, 1832, daughter of Reuben
and Susanna (Angey) Shiffert. To them have been born
the following children: P. Sassaman ; William H died in
infancy; Josiah W, lives at Danville. Ill • Alfred H is
of Virgmville, Pa. ; John S. ; Sarah died unmarried, aged
forty-three years; George Washington resides at Allen-
town ; Samuel D. settled in Arkansas; Charles R. lives at
Danvdle, 111 ; Oscar D. is of Centreport, Pa.; and Sevena
Andora died in infancy.

,jyP J°hn S._ Schappell attended the public schools of
Windsor township until his parents moved to Perry town-
ship, where he went to school until he was fifteen years
old. He was reared to farming, and when twenty-one
years old commenced to learn stone-cutting, with D H
Leeser, then of Boyertown, now of Wernersville ' He
remained in Mr. Leeser's employ for six years, after that
in 1884 engagmg m business on his own account at Boyer-
town. After continuing the business very successfullv
for seventeen years he sold out to W. S. Shollenberger
and subsequently lived retired for a brief period, owin| to



BIOGRAPHICAL



491



poor health. He then entered the employ of H. L. Minter,
of Pottstown, working for him five years. In 1905 he
bought the fine residence at New Berlinville where he now
lives, though he is engaged at the establishment of Horace
Storb, in Pottstown, as marble and stone cutter. He is in
cojmfortable circumstances and one of the substantial
citizens of his locality.

On Nov. 1, 1884, Mr. Schappell was mSrried to Clara
L. Stauffer, daughter of Jacob B. Stauffer. No children
have been born to them, but they have an adopted daugh-
ter, Ida M. Schappell, daughter of Charles iC and Alice
Schappell, of Shoemakersville, who has been with them
since she was five months old. She is at present a student
in the Myerstown College, at Myerstown, Pa., taking the
full college course, and is especially talented as a musi-
cian.

Mr. Schappell and his family are consistent and active
members of the United Evangelical Church at Boyertown,
Pa., and he was formerly a working member of the
church at Pottstown, serving as steward and trustee dur-
ing his residence at that place. He is liberal in his sup-
port of the church and religious movements generally.

WILLIAM M. CROLL, county treasurer of Berks
county and junior member of the well-known clothing firm
of Heffner, Gilbert & CroU, of Reading, Pa., was born
April 9, 1866, in Upper Macungie township, Lehigh Co.,
Pa., son of Martin S. and Elizabeth (Grim) Croll.

William M. Croll received his early education in the
public schools of Berks county, and this was subsequently
supplemented by a course at the Keystone State Normal
school, and the Eastman Business College at Poughkeepsie,
N. Y. He taught school for one year, but in 1889, in
company with William H. Smith, engaged in the mercan-
tile business at Rothrocksville, Berks county, this firm
continuing in existence until 1897, when Mr. Croll formed
a partnership with D. A. Heffner and John W. Gilbert.
The firm of Heffner, Gilbert & Croll are the largest dealers
in clothing and gentlemen's furnishings in this section of
the State. The business was first conducted at No. 528
Penn street, whence in 1904 it was removed to the old
Illig stand, larger quarters being necessary, and here it
has since continued. Mr. Croll is a thoroughly capable
business man, as are his partners, and the firm enjoys
the confidence and patronage of the entire community.
He is also secretary and treasurer of the Berks Coal
Company, at McCalla, Ala., and in January, 1909, was
elected a director of the Berks County Trust Company.

In political matters Mr. Croll is an unswerving Democrat
and while at Rothrocksville served as postmaster for the
Maxatawny postoffice. On April 11, 1908, he was nom-
inated for the office of county treasurer by over 3,800
majority over the next man, and by 1,091 over the other
four candidates together. At the election in November fol-
lowing he was elected by 6,289 majority, about 3,000 ahead
of the National ticket.

In 1889 Mr. CroU was married to Miss Annie M. Kuhns,
daughter of L. F. Kuhns, proprietor of the "Arlington
Hotel," at Slatington, Pa., and two children have been
born to them— Amy and Mabel. The family are members
of the Lutheran denomination, and attend Trinity Church,
Reading. Mr. Croll is a member of Huguenot Lodge, F.
& A. M., Kutztown; Reading Chapter, No. 267; Reading
Commandery, No. 42, K. T.; and Philadelphia Consistory,
33d degree; Lodge of Perfection, Reading; Rajah Temple,
A. A. O. N. M. S.; the P. O. S. of A.; Knights of the
Golden Eagle; KJiights of the Maccabees; Harmonie
Maennerchor; Lodge No. 115, B. P. O. Elks; and Read-
ing Aerie, No. 66, F. O. E.

MICHAEL K. KEITH, merchant and postmaster at
Brownsville for nearly forty years, was born in Lower
Heidelberg township, Berks Co., Pa., Sept. 21, 1844. -He
''' was educated in the public schools and brought up to farm-
ing, and when he became of age he entered the general
store of Samuel K. Lutz, at Fritztown, and was employed
there for two years. He then entered the general store
of Flickinger & Lutz, at Brownsville, and after being in



their, service for a year purchased the business and con-
ducted it himself until 1898, when he bought the store
property. Forming a partnership with his son, Harvey,
they have traded since under the name of Michael Keith
& Son.

In 1893 Mr. Keith erected a creamery, and a cidermill
near the store. In 1898 farming implements were added
as a special business line, and in 1904 a butchering de-
partment was also included for the purpose of manufactur-
ing smoked sausages, curing hams, etc., and these several
branches have been carried on successfully until the
present time. A postoffice was established in the stofe in
1869, and Mr. John B. Flickinger was the postmaster until
1900, since when Mr. Keith has filled the position. '

Mr. Keith married Maria Maurer, daughter of Daniel
Maurer, of Fritztown. Daniel Maurer was married twice.
By his first wife he had children: Isaac m. Anna Texter;
Amanda m. Adam Becker; Hannah m. John Texter; and
Maria. His first wife dying in 1898, Daniel Maurer then
married Mrs. Elizabeth Werner, widow of Joseph Werner.
Michael K. Keith and his wife had three children:
Harvey m._ Elizabeth Bohn ; Adeline m. Jacob Heffner;
and one died in infancy. The mother of these children
died in 1898.

Jacob • Keith, father of Michael K, was a farmer of
Lower Heidelberg. He married Rachel Kegerize, daugh-
ter of Christian Kegerize (whose wife was a Harting),
and by her he had twelve children : Angeline m. Nathan-
iel Moyer; Catharine m. Levi Binkley; Michael K; Mary
m. David Claujly; Mollie m. Henry Gensemer; Susan m.
Jonathan Ruth; Levi m. Anna Ebling; Rachel m. Am-
brose Zeller; Emma m. Joseph Hoppman; and three died
young.

Michael Keith, the grandfather, was also a farmer in
Lower Heidelberg township. He married Elizabeth Shin-



Online LibraryMorton L. (Morton Luther) MontgomeryHistorical and biographical annals of Berks County, Pennsylvania, embracing a concise history of the county and a genealogical and biographical record of representative families, comp. by Morton L. Montgomery .. → online text (page 132 of 227)