Morton L. (Morton Luther) Montgomery.

Historical and biographical annals of Berks County, Pennsylvania, embracing a concise history of the county and a genealogical and biographical record of representative families, comp. by Morton L. Montgomery .. online

. (page 137 of 227)
Online LibraryMorton L. (Morton Luther) MontgomeryHistorical and biographical annals of Berks County, Pennsylvania, embracing a concise history of the county and a genealogical and biographical record of representative families, comp. by Morton L. Montgomery .. → online text (page 137 of 227)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


ket in the city. This was incorporated in January, 1907,
as the Farmers' Market House Company. For the accom-
modation of out-of-town patrons he has erected a three-
story stable, with sleeping apartments attached.

Kissinger's Storage House is a four-story structure,
60x120 feet in dimensions, weekly and semi-weekly sales •
being held therein. On March 1, 1885, C. Carroll Briner
was admitted to partnership in the feed, flour and stor-
age business under the firm name of Kissinger & Briner,
the location of the house being as at present. This con-
tinued till Mr. Briner's retirement in February, 1897,
after which the firm of Kissinger & Son was formed.
This continued four years, since which time Mr. Kissinger
has been sole proprietor. Under Mr. Kissinger's ener-
getic and able management, the business has developed
to large proportions. On Jan. 17, 1907, in company with
others he formed the Kissinger Market House Company,
embracing the following markets : Nos. 2, 3 and 4, located
at Ninth and Cherry street. Peach and Cherry streets,
and Nos. 834-836 Penn street. They have recently inaug-



504



HISTORY OF BERKS COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



urated the successful Saturday afternoon and evening
market, in addition to their tri-weekly markets.

Personally Mr. Kissinger has reached a leadership in
the busmess field in a time of life which makes it prob-
able that his future will bring him into even more than
State prominence. Mr. Kissinger is connected with no
secret organizations, although socially he is very genial
and popular. JFor his standing he has depended upon no
extraneous efforts, solely upon his individual honesty, as-
siduity and ability. He is a member of Trinity Lutheran
Church, and has served as a vestryman of that organiza-
tion at different times for nine years.

On April 16, 1874, Mr. Kissinger was married to Miss
Sallie R. Spohn, of Reading. She died March 11, 1903,
leaving three children : Clifford W., Sarah E. and Anita
M. On Oct. 19, 1904, he married (second) iMiss Mary L.
Warren, of Ohio, and to this union has been born a son,
Warren Nicholas. Mr. and Mrs. Kissinger reside at
their comfortable home. No. 1030 Penn street, Reading,
enjoying the comfort and culture attendant upon the
prosperity and intelligence of the modern business man.

DR. ROBERT WALTER, founder and proprietor of
"The Walter Sanitarium," near Wernersville, in Berks
county, the largest and most successful health resort in
Pennsylvania, was born Feb. 14, 1841, in Canada (town-
ship of Esquesing, county of Halton, Province of Ontario).
He received his early education in the township schools
and afterward by his own efforts. When fourteen years
old, he entered a store as clerk and filled the position
successfully for a year, after which he was employed as
cashier and bookkeeper in a large tannery, where he
continued until the chief employer died one year after-
ward. Notwithstanding his youth, the interested parties
retained him to settle up the estate, which he accom-
plished satisfactorily; and his grandfather dying he was
requested to administer his estate also, and this he did
in such manner as to lead to the settlement of other
estates. For a year he was assistant Division court clerk
and then he directed his attention to teaching in the
public schools for several years; and learning stenog-
raphy, he followed this occupation for some time, being
employed for a while in the land office of the Northern
Pacific Railroad Company at New York.

During much of this time he was more or less of an
invalid, with the chances for continued life against him,
and though his case was regarded as hopeless he never-
theless finally recovered. He attributed his recovery to
a course of treatment which he himself had originated,
and which had come to be everywhere employed in the
sanitariums. The results so encouraged him that he re-
signed his position in the land office and devoted him-
self to a more complete study of medicine, to which he
had devoted much labor for several years.

In 1873, he married Eunice C. Lippincott, of Dirigo,
Maine (a graduated physician from the Hygeio-Thera-
peutic College of New York in 1865), and accompanied
by his wife located in New Jersey, where he delivered
lectures on mental science, a subject which had received
a great deal of his attention for a number of years. He
attended a course of medical lectures in the college from
which his wife was graduated ; and he too was graduated
from the institution in 1873. Upon his graduation
he took charge of a sanitarium and mountain home in
Franklin county. Pa., and while serving this position
he was invited to visit Berks county and carry on a
health resort on South Mountain, near Wernersville. He
accepted this invitation, and leasing the place, conducted
it successfully for three years. During this time he
abandoned the water-cure idea and originated the sani-
tarium treatment, as it is now understood.

Toward the termination of his lease. Dr. Walter de-
cided to start an establishment of his own, and in 1876
began the erection of the first institution in this, and it
is believed the first in anj', country, devoted to the treat-
ment of invalids and the preservation of the health of
well people by purely sanitary methods. This building



was erected on South Mountain, one mile south of Wer-
nersville, and he moved into it in May, 1877, his success
already established becoming still more pronounced, and
has continued without interruption for thirty-five years.
His patronage almost from the first came from all parts
of the United States, and his establishment necessarily
grew with his patronage until it became one of the famous
resorts of the country. Now it is admittedly the largest,
most complete and most successful sanitarium in Penn-
sylvania.

The institution comprises a number of contiguous, sub-
stantial stone buildings, five stories in height, 350 feet
long, and numerous tracts of farming and woodland,
which altogether cover 500 acres. It is thoroughly equip-
ped with all modern conveniences and appliances. The
view in the rear along and about the mountam sides is
picturesque, but the extensive view in front, reaching from
the mountains of Reading in the east to the hills of
Lebanon county in the west, a distance of thirty miles,
and from the South Mountain across the rolling fields
and hills of the Tulpehocken, Schuylkill and Ontelaunee
Valleys to the Blue Mountains, a varying distance of
from twenty to forty miles, with all the growing towns,
rich enterprises and internal improvements, is indescrib-
ably grand.

During the great development of his sanitarium and his
sanitary methods. Dr. Walter was also intellectually a
thoughtful and busy man, for he published a monthly
journal of health, numerous pamphlets relating to san-
itary topics, an octavo volume of 320 pages entitled
"Vital Science," and a large octavo volume of 300 pages
entitled "The Exact Science of Health," the latter being
based upon the same principles that have made astronomy
and chemistry to be regarded as among the exact sciences.

Besides graduating from the Hygeio-Therapeutic Col-
lege of New York in 1873, Dr. Walter took a special
course of lectures in Hahnemann Medical College at
Philadelphia, and was graduated from that institution in
1888.

Dr. Walter and his wife have five children: Maud
M.: Robert L. (m. Alice Betts) ; Mabel H.; Estella M.;
and Earnest A. The first two are graduated physicians.
His wife and the first three children from the time of
quitting school have co-operated most earnestly with him
in the successful development of his great sanitarium.

His father was George Walter, of Devonshire, Eng-
land, by occupation a farmer and by relationship con-
nected with the Walter family of Southern England. He
married Elizabeth Vodden, a daughter of Robert Vodden,
also of Southern England. They emigrated to Canada
m 1837, and to Ontario in 1339, thus being among the
pioneers of that section. He died in 1892, at the age of
eighty-four years ; and his wife died in 1884 at the age of
sixty eight. They had ten children: William. John
George, Robert, Sarah, Mary, Albert Lorenzo, Elizabeth,
Frances Amelia, Augusta, and Emma Maria. Mrs. Walter
IS the daughter of John Lippincott and Sarah Kitchen,
his wife. John Lippincott's father was Jacob Lippin-
cott, of Shrewsbury, N. J., who being a Friend and con-
scientiously opposed to war, migrated to Nova Scotia to
avoid Revolutionary operations. Jacob Lippincott was of
the same lineage as the numerous Lippincotts of Penn-
sylvania and New Jersey.

JA]\IES GICKER MATTERNES, M. D., of Centreport,
has been located there in the practice of medicine ever
since his graduation and is in command of a good pat-
ronage. He was born Sept. 16, 1869, in Lower Heidel-
berg township, son of Abraham and grandson of Isaac
Matternes.

[-leinrich Matternes, the great-grandfather, was an early
settler in Cumru township and followed milling there.
Isaac Matternes, the Doctor's grandfather, was raised on
the South Mountain, back of Wernersville, and attended
the Hains Church school. He learned the shoemaker's
trade and followed it for some time at Reading, eventually
moving to Mt. Pleasant, in Penn township, where he died



BIOGRAPHICAL



505



at the age of eighty-three years. He assisted in digging
for the foundation of the second house erected at Wern-
ersville. He was a well-known man in his day. His first
wife, whose maiden name was Mell, died at the age of
thirty years, the mother of five children : Abraham, Isaac,
Jr., Amanda, Mary (m. Peter Miller) and one that died
in infancy. For his second wife Mr. Matternes married
a Mrs. Paff, by whom he had no children.

Abraham Matternes, son of Isaac, was born in Lower
Heidelberg township. He learned milling, which he fol-
lowed a few years, and then went to work in Van Reed's
paper-mill, where he contracted smallpox, from which he
died in March, 1873, at the early age of thirty-three years.
He was twice married, first to Amelia Shell, of Bern
township, who died without issue. His second marriage
was to Mrs. Caroline Hinnershitz, daughter of Daniel
Gicker, and to them were born two children : James Gicker
and Sallie, the latter the wife of Harry Haag, of Lower
Heidelberg township.

James Gicker Matternes attended the Blue Marsh school
in Lower Heidelberg township and had two months at
select school in Mt. Pleasant. In tlie spring of 1887 he
entered the Keystone State Normal School at Kutztown,
from which he was graduated in the spring of 1891, after
which he engaged in teaching, five terms in all. For
three terms he was in Lower Heidelberg township, one
term in Washington township and one term in Penn
township, and meantime he began preparation for the
profession to which he intended to devote his life. He
read medicine with Dr. D. H. Hain, of Mt. Pleasant, for
three . summers, and in 1894 entered Jefferson Medical
College, at Philadelphia, graduating in 1897. He has since
been located at Centreport borough, where he has gained
a large practice, being one of the best known physicians
of his locality. He is a member of the Berks County
Medical Society and the Pennsylvania State Medical So-
ciety, and has various fraternal connections, belonging to
Vaux Lodge, No. 406, 'F. & A. M., of Hamburg, Pa.;
Excelsior Chapter, No. 237; Reading Commandery; and
Rajah Temple, A. A. O. N. M. S.; to the K. .O. T. M.; to
Camp No. 446, P. O. S. of A., of Centreport; and Perry
Lodge, No. 1055, I. O. O. F. ^

In 1899 Dr. Matternes married Miss Mary E. Phes,
daughter of Benjamin Plies, of Bernville, this county,
and they have had two children, Helen May and Law-
rence Abraham. The Doctor is a member of the Bern Re-
formed Church. He is a Democrat in politics and has
been school director at Centreport.

DAVID ENGLE STOUT, deceased, paymaster of the
Philadelphia & Reading Railroad Company for forty
years was born in Muhlenberg township, Berks county,
six miles north of Reading, Feb. 10, 1820. He was edu-
cated in the local schools and at an early age became a
clerk in the hardware store of John M. Keim, at Read-
ing where he continued until 1844, when he entered the
employ of the Philadelphia & Reading Company. In 1847
he was appointed paymaster, and this responsible posi-
tion he filled in a most satisfactory manner for forty
years, retiring in 1887, with the highest respect_ of the
officials He lived retired from that time until his death
at Ocean Grove, N. J., Sept. 12, 1894. , , _ . ,
Mr. Stout took an active part in the local atlairs _ot
Reading for many years, more especially of a financial
nature having assisted in the organization of the Union
Bank, the Reading Gas Company and the Reading Trust
Company, and he served as a director in each. He also
served as a school controller for several terms. In his
early manhood he was interested in the Junior Fire Com-
pany acting for a time as secretary. He became a mem-
ber of Christ Episcopal Church at an early age, and show-
ed a constant interest in the welfare of the congregation,
officiating for a time as superintendent of the Sunday-
' school, and as vestryman and warden of this church, and
of other parishes with which he was subsequently identi-
fied for upward of fifty years. He was also greatly in-



terested in the charitable societies of Reading, contributing
liberally toward their success.

In politics Mr. Stout started as a Whig and became a
Republican upon the formation of that party. He re-
presented the Berks districL-of Pennsylvania in the Na-
tional Republican Convention of 1860, which nominated
Abrahani Lincoln for President; and in 1864 he was a
member of the Pennsylvania Electoral College on the
Republican ticket headed by Lincoln. -The several posi-
tions which he filled at Reading for many consecutive
years evidence his prominence and superiority as a man
in the community. He was identified with the Free Ma-
sons for a long while; was a charter member of the De
Molay Commandery; and a member of the Grand Com-
mandery of Pennsylvania, having for a time officiated as
District-Deputy Grand-Master of Berks county.

In 1848 Mr. Stout was married to Margaretta Duey, of
Philadelphia, by whom he had five children : Emily D.,
who married Samuel R. Kerper; Edward H., who married
Katherine Kerper; David D.; William H., who married
Mary McCoy; and Charles E., who married Mary Pid-
geon.

His father was John Stout, born at Schuylkill Bend, in
Maiden-creek township, and he carried on farming. He
married Elizabeth Engle, and had ten children: Mary,
John, Solomon, Esther, Valentine, James, Jacob, David,
Caroline and Alfred.

His grandfather was John Stout, who was born in Bern
township, in 1737', and who was brought up to farming.
In 1772 he purchased a farm of 162 acres in Maideri-
creek township, and then moved there carrying on the
cultivation of this land until his death, in 1801. He was
married to Maria Catharine Kershner, by whom he had
eight children : George, Jacob, John, Daniel, Samuel,
Catharine (who married Henry Body), Barbara (who
married George Snyder) and Elizabeth.

His great-grandfather was John Michael Staudt, who
emigrated with his father from Germany in 1733, when
twenty-two years of age, and settled at Schuylkill Bend,
above Reading (now Stout's Ferry), where he carried on
farming until his death in 1776. He had nine children :
John Jacob, Michael, George William, John George, Jost,
Anna Barbara, Catharine Elizabeth, Appolonia and Cath-



REV. ACHILLES JOHNSON LONG. A. M., the well-
known Lutheran minister at Rehrersburg, whose pasto-
rate included the churches at Stouchsburg, Rehrersburg,
Newmanstown, Millbach, Little Tulpehocken and Schaef-
ferstown, gave his entire mature life to the work of
Christ, and the great good he accomplished is manifest
in the spiritual well-being of the many who came within
the radius of his influence. He was born at Claussville,
Lehigh county, Oct. 20, 1847, son of Ephraim and Hannah
(Kline) Long. ;

The Long family is of Scotch-Irish descent. About
1790 four brothers came to this country, and located in
New Jersey. John Long, grandfather of Achilles John-
son, went from New Jersey into Lowhill township, Lehish
Co., Pa., where he followed his trade of millwright. He
married Elizabeth Heilman, and* among their children
was a son Ephraim.

Ephraim Long was born in Lowhill township, but on
reaching manhood he went first to Allentown, and later
to Schnecksville. ' From the latter place in 1850 he moved
to Egypt, and there he continued to reside until his death
June 6, 1901. He had a large general store and hotel,
and was also engaged in a real estate business, and had a
wide acquaintance. He married Hannah Khne, who was
born in Lehigh county, and who died in 1893. Their
children were : Achilles Johnson : Alice m. Rev. S. H.
Fegley, of Lehigh county; Josephine died in 1895; Ag
nes m. Samuel Black of Ashley, Pa. ; Alfred is engaged
as a coach manufacturer at Blooming Glen. Pa, ; Eugene
assisted his father in the store at Egypt; Harvey is un-
married and at home ; and Walter has a music store at
Allentown. The family were all reared in the Lutheran
faith, and have been active in church work.



506



HISTORY OF BERKS COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



Rev. Achilles Johnson Long received his first mental
training in the commoni schools, and in 1865 he went to
Freeland Seminary, Trappe, Montgomery county, and m
1866 to Fort Edward Institute, New York. In 1867
he entered the Academic Department of Muhlenberg Col-
lege, and the following year the College proper, graduating
in 1871, and receiving a purse of twenty-five dollars for
his German oration. While there he distinguished himself
as a member of the Euterpean Literary Society, and the
Chi Phi fraternity. Acting upon his decision to enter the
ministry he became a student in the Theological Seminary
at Philadelphia, and in May, 1874, graduated therefrom.
He received a call to Christ Evangelical Lutheran Church
on the Tulpehocken (near Stouchsburg), and was or-
dained to the ministry in Trinity Lutheran Church, June
2, 1S74, and was installed as pastor of the Tulpehocken
charge, Christ Evangelical Lutheran Church, June 13,
1874, by the Rev. Dr. Hinterletner, president of the
Third Conference, and Rev. Dr. Home, principal
of the Keystone State Normal School, Kutztown, and
on the same day was also installed as pastor of the Rehr-
ersburg Church. He served these churches thirty-four
years, and also had charge of St. Elias Church at New-
manstown, St. Paul's Union Church at Millbach, Little
Tulpehocken in Jefferson township, and St. Paul's at
Schaefferstown. In 1893 the Sesqui-Centennial of Christ
Church was celebrated, and the good work accomplished
there by the Rev. Mr. Long was highly praised. This
church has prospered under, or in spite of, great difficul-
ties. The original church was built in 1786, and this build-
ing was badly damaged by a dynamite explosion Nov. 6,
1884. It was rebuilt and Aug. 1, 1887, was struck by
lightning and this time wholly destroyed. Though sadly
disheartened, the members went to work and in spite of
the heavy financial loss, the church was rebuilt. Alto-
gether during his ministry the Rev. Mr. Long erected five
splendid churches. On June 17, 1907, the Sesqui-Centen-
nial of the Rehrersburg church was appropriately celebrat-
ed, and the thirty-two and one-half years of Pastor Long's
pastorate stand out conspicuously in the history of the
church for the wonderful results he obtained financially
and spiritually. He was close to the hearts of his parish-
ioners and his unselfish devotion to duty merited the high
esteem and affection in which he was held. Ministers from
many places came to join in the celebration and to pay
tribute of praise and respect to Rev. Mr. Long. The oc-
casion was a most happy one, and will long be remembered
by those fortunate enough to participate in it.

On Jan. 4, 1876. the Rev. Achilles Johnson Long was
married to Deborah I. Minnich, born in North Heidel-
berg township, daughter of Adam and Isabella (Klopp)
Minnich, the former a school teacher in early life but
now a farmer in North Heidelberg. This union was
blessed with three daughters — Laura E., Anna L. and
Mabel M. The Rev. Mr. Long was a practical business
man, and he brought his churches all to a sound financial
condition. He was a director in the Womelsdorf Na-
tional Bank and a member of the board of trustees of the
Orphans' Home at Topton. He was a charming com-
panion, intelligent, brojid minded and charitable, and he
had the confidence of the entire community. He died
Sept. 13, 1908, beloved by all who knew him.

JOHN A. BRITTON, a substantial citizen of Read-
ing, Pa., as a member of the well-known dry-goods
firm of C. K. Whitner & Co. is prominently identified
with the business interests of the city. He was born in
Reading in 1853, son of John A. and Leah (Borkert)
Britton.

John A. Britton was educated in the public schools of
Reading, and at the age of fourteen years started in to
work as an errand boy for Lewis Briner, at the corner of
Penn and Third streets. After four years with Mr. Brin-
er, he entered the employ of John D. Mishler, proprietor
of the original Globe Store, and here learned the business
in all of its details, finally resigning to become salesman
for Dives, Pomeroy & Stewart, at the time that that firm
occupied the quarters now held by C. K. Whitner & Co.



Later he engaged in a mercantile business for one year
with John E. Lewis, at .Lebanon, Pa., but disposing of his
interests he returned to Reading and engaged with C. K.
Whitner as salesman, later becoming manager, and in 1898
he was admitted a member of the firm.

In 1891 Mr. Britton married Sally A. Ruth, and to thepi
have been born two children, namely, Calvin A. and Ruth
A. By a former marriage Mr. Britton had one son, Har-
ry A. Mr. Britton is fraternally connected with several
societies, in which he is very popular. He is a member of
the St. Paul's Reformed Church. His business interests
connect him with the Board of Trade and also the Mer-
chants Association.

PROF. GEORGE L. KLEINGINNA, JNI. E., Ph. B.,
an author of some note, and for some years a well-known
and popular educator of Berks county, was born there
Dec. 31, 1872, in Bern township, son of Joseph and Leah
(Leisy) Kleinginna.

Mr. Kleinginna was reared on his father's farm, on
which he lived until twenty-one years of age. He ob-
tained his early education in his native township, and in
1893 entered the Keystone State Normal School at Kutz-
town. from which he was graduated in 1895. Prior to
entering this institution, Prof. Kleinginna had taken a
commercial course in the Reading Scientific Academy,
under the supervision of the late Hon. D. B. Brunner.
He began teaching school in Bern township when nineteen
years of age, ^nd after graduating from, the Normal school
he was appointed teacher of the Shillington grammar
school, in Cumru township, where he continued success-
fully for six terms. He then purchased the Reading
Scientific Academy from Prof. D. B. Brunner, and con-
ducted it very ably for four years, at the end of that
time selling out to the Reading Commercial Business Col-
lege, by whom the Academy is now being conducted.
During the school term of 1905-06, Prof. Kleinginna
taught the Mohnton grammar school. In 1900 he received
the degree of Ph. B. from the University of Michigan.
He gave up teaching in the spring of 1908, to become a
member of the Saylor Drug Company, at Allentown, Pa.,
of which he is now vice-president. He organized the
Berks County Teachers' Association, incorporated in 1909,
and was elected its first president, which office he still
holds. He is one of the organizers and original directors
of the National Text Book Company, located at Reading.
Prof. Kleinginna is an author of some prominence, his
"James Snow," written while he was conducting the Read-
ing Academy, meeting with a large sale. While at the
same institution he also conducted a monthly pamphlet
entitled the "University Chronicle," which met with much
success.

In politics Mr. Kleinginna is a Democrat, placing prin-
ciple before partisanship. He is a leading citizen of his
community and has shown himself to be very public
spirited; he was one of the original spirits in the move-
ment which ended in the incorporation of Shillington as
a borough. He and his family are connected with Grace
Lutheran Church, where he has been a member of the
Consistory since 1903.

On April 9, 1898, Prof. Kleinginna was married to Annie



Online LibraryMorton L. (Morton Luther) MontgomeryHistorical and biographical annals of Berks County, Pennsylvania, embracing a concise history of the county and a genealogical and biographical record of representative families, comp. by Morton L. Montgomery .. → online text (page 137 of 227)