Morton L. (Morton Luther) Montgomery.

Historical and biographical annals of Berks County, Pennsylvania, embracing a concise history of the county and a genealogical and biographical record of representative families, comp. by Morton L. Montgomery .. online

. (page 138 of 227)
Online LibraryMorton L. (Morton Luther) MontgomeryHistorical and biographical annals of Berks County, Pennsylvania, embracing a concise history of the county and a genealogical and biographical record of representative families, comp. by Morton L. Montgomery .. → online text (page 138 of 227)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


E. Kauffman, born May 12, 1876, daughter of Samuel and
Priscilla (Kauffman) Kauffman, and two children were
born to this union : Pearl E., born Nov. 11, 1900, who
died Nov. 9, 1903; and Paul R., born March 27, 1903.
On March 23, 1909, the Professor and his family moved
to No. 243 South Twelfth street, Reading. Both he and
his wife have many warm friends.

CHARLES W. HERBINE, a well-known business man
of Reading. Pa., who was formerly superintendent of the
Pennsylvania Knitting Mills, was born in Reading, in
1869, son of Charles and Catherine (Rapp) Herbine, na-
tives of this city.

Charles Herbine was for many years engaged in the
hotel and baking business in Reading, and became a sub-
stantial man. He died March 3, 1899, and his wife sur-



BIOGRAPHICAL



507



vives him. Of their seven children five are living, as
follows.: Emma; Oliver; Edward; Fannie (m. E. M.
Quackenboss), and Charles W. The family as far as is
known were members of the Reformed Church. Mr.
Herbine was a Democrat in politics.

Charles W. Herbine was educated in the common
schools of his native city, and early in life accepted a po-
sition with the Philadelphia & Reading Company, learn-
ing the machinist's trade. After a period of twelve years
with this company, he severed his connection therewith
to engage in the hosiery business. This he conducted in
a very successful manner, but finally sold out to the
Pennsylvania Knitting Mills Company, and from the in-
corporation of this concern he was its superintendent up
to March. 1, 1907, when he resigned and connected himself
with the Gehris-Herbine Company. This enterprise, which
employs about sixty hands, manufactures high-grade
hosiery, and has a trade that extends to the leading cities
of the country. It holds patents for its class of work on
knitting machines and also dyeing machines. The officials
of the company are : Charles W. Herbine, president and
general manager; L. Howard Gehris, secretary and treas-
urer.

Mr. Herbine is a member of a number of social and
secret societies, in all of which he is popular, among them
being the Knights of the Golden Eagle and the Knights
of Malta, as well as the Reading Hose Company. He is
a Democrat in politics and was a candidate for council-
man at the primaries in 1907.

Mr. Herbine married Mary Mathias, and to them there
has been born one child, Walter. Mr. and Mrs. Herbine
attend the Reformed Church.

JOHN H. KEPPELMAN. superintendent of the Gas
Company at Reading since 1887, was born at Reading, Feb.
16, 1853, and educated in the local schools, graduating
from the high school in 1870. He then learned the trade
of molder in his father's iron foundry and worked at it
for nine years ; after ; which he served 'as city clerk from
1879 to 1884. In 1887 the Consumers' Gas Company elect-
ed him superintendent to manage its extensive operations,
and he has filled that responsible position in a most
efficient manner to the present time.

Mr. Keppelman represented the Sixth ward in the city
councils from 1885 to 1897, four years in the common
branch and eight years in the select; during which time
many public improvements were ably advocated by him
and established by a vote of the electors, more especially
the sewer system and paved highways. Since his early
manhood he has been an earnest adherent of the Demo-
cratic party. He became a Freemason in 1881, in Teutonia
Lodge, No. 367, which was mainly organized by his father
in 1865; and he is a member of the Harrisburg Consistory,
and of. the Shrine at Reading. He was chiefly instru-
mental in having established at Reading the Reading
Council of the Royal Arqanum, a mutual life insurance
association, which has secured a large membership.
Mr. Keppelman is president of the Board of Trade (1909).
He is. a member of the board of managers of the Read-
ing Public Library, and a director of the First National
Bank.

In 1876 Mr. Keppelman was married to Mary E. Ar-
thur, daughter of Col. John E. Arthur, and Rebecca
Moyer, his wife, of Reading, by whom he had three chil-
dren: Mamie, who died in infancy; Robert, who died
in youth; and Arthur, an attorney at Reading, m. to May
Sternbergh.

John Joseph Conrad Keppelman, father of John H.,
was born in 1827, in Baden-Baden, Germany, where he
learned the trade of locksmith. He emigrated to Penn-
sylvania in 1848, and located at Pottsville, but he remain-
ed there only a short while when he moved to Reading
and engaged in the foundry business which he ' carried
on quite extensively for many years, having established
and operated very successfully three plants, the first on
North Sixth street, the second on North Fifth street and
the third in Riverside. He died in 1907. He married



Christiana Bauer, daughter of John and Wilhelmina
(Beltz) Bauer, of Reading, by whom he had ten chil-
dren: William m. Ella Brown; John H. (above); Em-
ma m. Dr. Samuel Ermentrout; Edward m. Ella Beach-
er; Howard m. Ida Seiders; Ida m. Joseph Veasey;
Katharine m. Dr. F. X. Wolf; Albert m. Catharine
Schroeder; Theodore m. Sallie Rowe; and Florence m.
Howard Frees.

John Keppelman, the grandfather, was a distinguished
soldier under Napoleon, ^nd for valorous conduct at
the battle of Wagram was awarded two medals of honor,
which have come into the possession of his grandson, and
are highly prized by him. He died at the age of forty-
six years, and his wife lived to be ninety years old. They
had four children, but their son John was the only one to
come to America.

ABRAM HERR, D. D. S., one of the leading dental
practitioners of Reading, Pa., is a member of one of the
earliest settled families of Lancaster county, Hans Herr,
a Mennonite minister, having emigrated from Switzer-
land, and settled in that county in 1709. Dr. Herr was
born in Lancaster county, July 27, 1839, son of Abram
and Hannah (White) Herr, grandson of Abram, Sr.,
and great-grandson of Hans Herr.'

Abram Herr, Sr., the grandfather of the Doctor, was
a farmer and distiller in Lancaster county, and followed
these occupations throughout life, becoming very siiccess-
ful. He was a prominent man of his generation, and was
a leader in the ranks of the Whig party. He and his
wife were members of the Mennonite Church. They
were the parents of the following children : Abram, Mar-
tin, John, Barbara and Sallie.

Abram Herr, son of Abram, Sr., was born in 1803, in
Lancaster county, and early in life began driving teams
between Philadelphia and Pittsburg, before the days of
the railroad in Pennsylvania. He married (first) Han-
nah White, by whom he had six children : Annie, Lo-
vina, Elizabeth, Martha, Mary and Dr. Abram. His first
wife died in her fifty-fourth year, and he married (sec-
ond) a Mrs. Long, but no children were born to this un-
ion. Mr. Herr died in 1893 at the age of eighty-nine
years.

Dr. Abram Herr received his preliminary education in
the schools of his native county, after which for a year
he studied under Dr. Farnstock. He then went to Ash-
land, Ohio, where he spent two years studying dentis-
try, then going to Philadelphia. After practising in the
latter city for two years, he came to Reading in 1866,
opening an office on Penn street, above Sixth, where he
was located for seven years. In 1876 he located at his
present place. He has been a close student and is a care-
ful practitioner, is successful in his business, and is very
highly esteemed in his community, where he has taken
a great interest in local matters, especially in education.

In 1861 Dr. Herr married Louisa Ferguson, and to them
were born eight children, only three of whom now sur-
vive : (1.) Elmer E., born in Ashland, Ohio, May 31, 1862,
m. Catharine Schrack, of Reading, and has three chil-
dren : Lulae L., a teacher in the Reading public schools ;
Villanella, m. to Edward Rush, of Philadelphia, where
they reside; and Chester A., a telegrapher for the Penn-
sylvania Railroad Company, at Reading, m. to Gertie
Frey, of Reading, where they reside. (2) Luther, born
in Reading, Oct. 29, 1867, now living in Philadelphia,
m. Catherine V. Hartman, of Reading, and has seven
children : Walter A., working on railroad locomotives for
the Pennsylvania Railroad Company, with his father
who is foreman of the plant; Franklin R., preparing
for college in the central boys' high school, Philadel-
phia; and Luther, Jr., Hellen L., Meriam N., Carrie and
Marie, all in school. (3) Walter S., born in Reading
July 1. 1875, a graduate of the Pennsylvania College of
Dentistry and now practising dentistry with his father,
m. Ella J. Potteiger of Reading, and has one son, Abram
Walter Scott. Dr. Abram Herr is a member of the Read-
ing School board from the Eighth ward. He is a stanch



508



HISTORY OF BERKS COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



Republican in politics, and fraternally is connected with
the I. O. O. F., being a charter member of Vigilance
Lodge, No. 194.

DR. REUBEN D. WENRICH, proprietor of the "Grand
View Sanatorium," near Wernersville, was born in Low-
er Heidelberg township May 15, 1842. He received his
preliminary education in the township schools until he
was fourteen years of age and for the next five years
attended advanced institutions at Wom«lsdorf, Stouchs-
burg, Pughtown, Trappe and Millersville. He then took
a complete course in Duff's Commercial College at Phil-
adelphia in 1861. During the winter months from 1838
to 1863, he taught public school, and while teaching he
determined to become a medical practitioner. In the
summer of 1862, he entered the office of Dr. D. D. Det-
weiler at the Trappe, where he continued during that sea-
son, and the next summer he read medicine in the office
of Dr. William J. Schoener, at Strausstown, Berks coun-
ty. During the winter months he attended lectures in
the Medical Department of the University of Pennsyl-
vania, graduating from that institution in 1864. He
then selected Wernersville as a place to start the prac-
tice of medicine, and after carrying on a successful prac-
tice there for nearly ten years he became a partner of
Dr. James W. Deppen, an experienced physician at Wer-
nersville, in medical practice. They also engaged in a
general' merchandise business, and dealt in coal, lime
and lumber. Dr. Wenrich was associated with Dr. Dep-
pen in a most agreeable and successful manner until his
decease in 1895, a period covering more than twenty
}-ears.

In 1879, Dr. Deppen and Dr. Wenrich purchased the
"Mountain Home," a famous health institution situated
on the South Mountain, two miles south of Werners-
ville, which had been carried on for about thirty years
by different parties. Then they directed their attention
to this great enterprise and gradually withdrew from
business operations at Wernersville. Their joint man-
agement of it until Dr. Deppen's decease was very suc-
cessful, they having increased and improved the plant
in various ways, and developed its patronage to extend
throughout the United States. They changed the name
to "Grand View Sanatorium," and it has been so known
up to the present. Its situation commands a magnificent
view of the Lebanon and Schuylkill Valleys, reaching to
the Blue Mountains on the north, and to the city of Read-
ing on the east, a view which has won the admiration and
praise of the numerous patrons of the institution. On
the settlement of Dr. Deppen's estate, Dr. Wenrich be-
came the sole owner of the institution, and since then
he has secured adjoining farms and woodland, there-
by increasing the total land area to about 600 acres.
Costly permanent improvements were made to the plant,
in January, 1907, comprising a large carriage house and
barn, 101x120 feet; extension of main building for
commodious dining-room to accommodate the guests,
numherin.a; at a time from 100 to 200 ; and power-house
for installing electric plant and boilers for power, light
and heat for the buildings. It is recognized as one of
the finest and most complete health resorts in the United
States.

On the organization of the National Bank at Wer-
nersville in April, 1906, Dr. Wenrich gave it his ac-
tive encouragement, and he has since served as one of
the directors thereof.

In 1865 Dr. Wenrich married Miss Sarah Gockley, daugh-
ter of Moses Gockley. of Wernersville, and by her he
had seven children : Dr. George G.. a graduate physi-
cian of the University of Pennsylvania, m. to Anna May
Coar ; Dr. John A., also a graduate physician from the
State University, m. to Grace Alvana Gaddis (he and
his br.other are on the medical staff of the Sanatorium) ;
Eva Ann, m. to Alvin J. Gibbs, of Canton, Ohio; and
four who died young. Mrs. Wenrich died in 1896, aged
forty-eight years. Her father was the son of Deitrich
and Eva (Moore) Gockley, and the grandson of John



Gockley, a farmer of Cocalico township, Lancaster Co.,
Pa., who had settled there before 1790.

Dr. Wenrich's father was Adam Wenrich, a farmer
of Lower Heidelberg. He was married to Eliza Klopp,
daughter of John Klopp, of North Heidelberg, and by
her had five children : Richard M. m. Mary Koch ; Frank-
lin J. m. Sarah Klopp; Emma E. m. Franklin Miller;
Reuben D. ; and Jemima m. Jacob S. Yoder. The father
died in 1851, aged forty-seven years; and the mother
died in 1877, aged sixty-eight years.

Matthias Wenrich, Jr., father of Adam, was a farm-
er of Heidelberg. He married Sophia Kalbach, and
by her had eleven children: Daniel m. Hannah Hain;
Adam; John m. Anna Schaeffer; David L. m. Magda-
lena Gockley; Maria m. John Fisher; Catherine m. Chris-
tian Walborn ; Sarah m. John F. Miller; Sophia m. Jo-
seph Nagle and upon her decease he m. her sister, Su-
sanna; and Elizabeth m. Michael Hain, who upon her
decease m. her sister Rebecca. The father died in 1S40,
aged seventy-seven years, and his wife in 1841, aged
seventy years.

Matthias Wenrich, Sr., father of Matthias, Jr., was
a farmer of Heidelberg. His father was also named
Matthias, and he was a farmer of the same township,
his farm having continued in the name from 1739 un-
til 1889.

JOHN W. FISHER, one of Berks county's represen-
tative citizens and substantial men, who served as direc-
tor of the poor of Berks county, and as justice of the
peace of North Heidelberg township, was born Nov.
9, 1844, in Marion township, son of Daniel and Sarah
(Gruber) Fisher.

It is traditional that this branch of the Fisher fam-
ily had its origin in America in one Sebastian Fischer,
who in 1723 was a member of a party of thirty-three
families to come from the Schoharie Valley, N. Y.,
and settle in Tulpehocken and Heidelberg townships,
Berks county. In 1759 these Fishers were taxables of
Heidelberg township : Jacob who paid twenty pounds
tax ; Ulrich. who paid five pounds fax ; and Adam and
Ludwig, who paid one pound each : and from one of
these ancestors descended John Fisher, the grandfather
of John W.

John Fisher came to Berks county from Schuylkill
county, and settled one mile west of Womelsdorf. where
he engaged in farming. He married Elizabeth Leinin-
ger, and to them were born these children ; Elizabeth
m. Henry Grime, of Penn township; John settled in
Logan county. Ohio; Daniel; Henry lived in Marion
township, m. Molly Kreicher, and had one son, Edwin;
Jeremiah settled in Logan county, Ohio.

Daniel Fisher was bom in Schuylkill county, in Aug-
ust, 1814. and when a boy was brought to Berks coun-
ty, where his early days were spent in farm laboring.
By economy and industry he managed to save enough
from his earnings with which to purchase a thirtv-acre
tract in North Heidelberg township, and there he "spent
the rest of his active life, engaged in truck farming. His
last years were spent with his son John W.. at whose
lesidence he died. Mr. Fisher was a man of high moral
character,_ and was an active member of the Lutheran
Church, in which he served as deacon. In politics he
was a Democrat. To Mr. and Mrs. Fisher were born
two children: John W. ; and .Mbert Adam, a resident of
Lower Heidelberg township.

John W. Fisher received his education in the public
schools of North Heidelberg township, and also spent
one year in Freeland Seminary, now Ursinus College.
When but seventeen years of age he began teaching
school, his first term being in Centre township, and in
all ^ was an educator for twenty-five terms, sixteen of
which were taught in the home district. In addition
to school teaching, Mr. Fisher spent the summer months
in work on his thirty-acre tract, and was also perform-
ing the duties of justice of the peace, a position to which
he had been elected when he was but twenty-one years old.
In 1877 he leased a larger farm, belonging to Jonathan



BIOGRAPHICAL



509



E. Stump, a tract of ninety-one acres, which was still
later increased to 110 acres, and cultivated this prop-
erty for twenty-six years on shares or one-half. Mr.
Fisher subsequently purchased the farm adjoining, known
as the William L. Klopp farm, which consists ' of 133
acres, and he also owned the eighty-acre tract purchased
by him some sixteen years prior.

Mr. Fisher always took a great interest in edu-
cational matters and held a permanent State certifi-
cate. When but twenty-one years of age he was elected
to the office of justice of the peace, in which he served
for forty-one years and so impartial were his judgments
that he never had a decision reversed. He was elected
director of the poor in 1903, and served in that office
for three years. He was always an active Democrat.
In March, 1907, Mr- Fisher removed from the farm
to Robesonia, and in the same year he erected a
handsome double brick residence, in which he resided
until his death. He was a director of the Farmers' Mu-
tual Assistance and Fire Insurance Company, of Berks
county, and served as treasurer of this organization for
nine years. Mr. Fisher was a member of the Lutheran
Church, while his widow is of the Reformed faith, and
both have been active in church work.

In 1864 Mr. Fisher married Ellen M. Lamm, daughter
of the late Benjamin and Lydia (Ruth.) Lamm, of North
Heidelberg township, and twelve children were born
to this union, the survivors all being of Berks county:
Adelaide E. died at the age of sixteen years; Lillie A.
m- Nelson L. Brossman, of North Heidelberg township;
Emma V. m. Henry G. Stump, of North Heidelberg
township; Sallie L. m. Michaiel A. Fox, of Jefferson
township; Heela M. died at the age of six years; E.
Noira is at home; Diana R. m. W. Alvin Christman, of
Womelsdorf; William E., an attorney and builder of
Reading, m. Minnie E. Moyer, of Heidelberg town-i
ship; John C, a minister of the Lutheran faith, ordained
by the Ministerium of Pennsylvania in May, 1907, and
now in charge of the Evangelical Lutheran Church of
The Advocate in Germantown, Philadelphia, Pa., m.
Kathryn Wotring, of Allentown; Cora C. m. Lloyd K.
Minnich, of North Heidelberg township; Anna G. m.
Howard E. Brown, of Robesonia; F. May m. Herbert
C. Schell, of Friedensburg, Oley township.

Mr. Fisher died Feb. 12, 1909, and his remains were
interred in the family plot in Heidelberg cemetery, of
which Association he was one of the organizers and
secretary fro.n the dale of its organizati^^n, 1880, up
to the time of his death.

MARCUS BEHM EACHES, business manager of
The Reading Herald, was born in Reading April 15, 1869,
and with the exception of one brief interval has been
identified with printing and the newspaper business prac-
tically from the time he was thirteen years old. At that
age, in 1882, he entered the printing office of B. F. Ow-
en, Nos. 515 and 517 Court street. Reading, and there
served at the case and trade until 1889. In the latter
year he became pressman in the employ of John B. Damp-
.tnan, owner of The Reading Herald, then located at No.
506 Court street. In the spring of 1890 he was ad-
vanced from pressman to advertising solicitor, v;hich
position he held until 1895, when he changed to the Read-
ing Eagle, having charge of the Eagle Book Store as
manager for a period of twelve months. Following that,
for about seven months, he was with the Pennsylvania
Telephone Company as specikl agent, in November, 1896,
returnmg to his connection with the Herald, with which
he has remained ever since. He was advertising manager
for three months after his return to the Herald, and was
then appointed business manager, which' .position he
has since occupied. Mr. Eaches takes pride in the fact
that his associaton with the Herald covers a period of
substantially twenty-eight years, as he was one of the
first carrier boys on the Spirit of Berks (started by
Daniel Francis and issued early in 1S81), predecessor
of the Herald, and has since retained his interest and
connection.



During the Spanish-American war the Herald, origi-
nally a morning paper, under the new ownership of
William McCormick, the present proprietor (the business
being looked after by Mr. Eaches), added an afternoon
edition, running two complete papers from one equip-
ment. The business of the afternoon edition so over-
topped that of the morning edition that after a period of
about eight months the morning edition was dropped
altogether.

Mr. Eaches long ago demonstrated his reliability and
worth in his chosen field. To his energetic and pro-
gressive tactics the paper owes much of its popularity
and success, and its steadily increasing growth is the
best commendation of his policy. He is a man who has
been successful, judged from the broadest standpoint,
and not merely by the financial standards. In his act-
ive career he has seen much of his country and has
a wide acquaintance with associates in the same line
of interest. He is a member of Reading Lodge No. 549,
F. & A. M., the Press Club, and St. Paul's Reformed
Church.

In 1892 Mr. Eaches married Mrs. Kate Shafer, and
has one son, Robert - Morse Eaches, born Dec. 28, 1894.
The family residence is at No. 1154 Franklin street, Rea3-
ing.

JOEL H. WELLER, merchant and succrssful business
man of Boyertown, Berks Co., Pa., was born near Hill
Church, Pike township, Oct. 29, 1849. The family his-
tory of the Wellers is very interesting and is as fol-
lows :

(I) Peter (he spelled the name "Peatter") Weller
came to America in 1749 from his native land, Germany,
where he was born in the year 1730, and he located in
District township. He died in 1795, aged seventy-five
years, and is buried at the Hill Church, his grave be-
ing marked by a monument erected in 1890 by his des-
cendants. This monument was dedicated Aug. 34, 1890.
Joel H._ Weller and his father, Gideon Weller, were
the moving spirits in erecting the monument to the mem-
ory of their honored ancestors, and it was their ear-
nest desire that the younger generations of the family
should assume the responsibility of the care of ground
and monument. Peter Weller had three sons: Philip,
John Adam and Peter, Jr.

(II) Philip Weller had sons as follows: Abraham;
John; Peter; George; Philip, and Jacob. The two broth-
ers of Philip had no issue.

(III) Abraham Weller had sons as follows: John,
Samuel, Peter and Abraham. John, brother of Abra-
ham, and son of Philip, had these sons: Adam; George;
Benjamin; Joseph, and Peter. Peter, brother of John
and Abraham, had these sons: Charles; Jacob; Benja-
min and David.

(III) George Weller, son of Philip, had these sons:
Thomas, Gideon (father of Joel H. Weller), Israel,
Joseph, David, Adam, George and Isaac.

(IV) Gideon Weller was born in District township on
the Weller homestead, Dec. 13, 1831, died Jan. 5, 1909,
aged 87 years, 22 days, and was buried at Hill Church. He
lived in Pike township near Hill Church, on his farm of
100 acres, and during his active life he was a farmer.
But he had been confined to his bed for some years be-
fore his death. His first wife was Mary Hartlein, daugh-
ter of George Hartlein, of Earl township. She died in
1872, aged forty- four. Their children were : Joel H •
Daniel, of Pottstown; Lewis, of Hill Church; Jessiah,
of Hill Church; Mrs. Catherine Weiser, of Boyertown-

"Mrs. Amanda Kemp, of Landis Store, Pa. He married , , „
(second) Hettie Fronheiser, who died in 1898. By her
he had five children: Olivia; Lizzie; Alice; Sivilla and
James. Since 1899 the Weller family has had re-unions,
and the gatherings which take place at Gideon Weller's
are occasions of much interest and pleasurable enjoyment
The Weller family has long been identified with District
township, where George Weller, the grandfather of Joel
H. Weller, was born, as well as his son Gideon.



510



HISTORY OF 'BERKS COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



(V) Joel H. Weller attended the schools of his town-



Online LibraryMorton L. (Morton Luther) MontgomeryHistorical and biographical annals of Berks County, Pennsylvania, embracing a concise history of the county and a genealogical and biographical record of representative families, comp. by Morton L. Montgomery .. → online text (page 138 of 227)