Morton L. (Morton Luther) Montgomery.

Historical and biographical annals of Berks County, Pennsylvania, embracing a concise history of the county and a genealogical and biographical record of representative families, comp. by Morton L. Montgomery .. online

. (page 141 of 227)
Online LibraryMorton L. (Morton Luther) MontgomeryHistorical and biographical annals of Berks County, Pennsylvania, embracing a concise history of the county and a genealogical and biographical record of representative families, comp. by Morton L. Montgomery .. → online text (page 141 of 227)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


Annie Hartman; George C. born 1870; and Ellen N.,

born 1873, died in infancy.



516 HISTORY OF BERKS COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA

(VI) George C. Bordner was reared on the old Bord- three years and natural sciences four years, and also
ner homestead and attended the public schools of Mil- gave instruction in German. Meantime he began the
lersburg in Bethel township until 1886, when he began study of the law under the direction of Hons. A. H.
to teach school, teaching one term in Jefferson town- Dill and Isaac Slenker and resigning his position in
ship, four in Bethel township, and one in the Mt. _Aetna the Union Seminary in 1862 spent a year in the office
Grammar School, in Tulpehocken township. In tha of Isaac Slenker, Esq., and was admitted to the Bar
spring of 1892 he entered the Keystone State Normal at Lewisburg, Pa., in December, 1863. At the instance
School, and was graduated in June, 1893. During the of some of his wife's friends he returned to his native
year following graduation he was principal of the Kutz- county and soon acquired a large and lucrative practice,
town high school, and in the spring of 1894 was^ elected He continued in the general duties of his profession un-
an add;t.ona teacher in mathematics in the Keystone til 1875, when he was elected additional law judge of
State Normal School In the fall of 1894 he re-entered j^^ ^^^,^^3 ^f g^^j^^ ^ ^ full term
the Normal School to prepare for the Sophomore class „r ,„„ , to ,„„.. . t , „„„ tt
at Franklin and Marshall College, and again taught math- °^ ten years, from Jan. 2, 1876 to Jan. 4, 1886. Upon
ematics at the Normal during the spring of 189.5. In "'^ retirement from the Bench Judge Sassaman returned
the fall of 1893 he entered Franklin and ^Marshall Col- '° '"^ practice of the law, and he died at the age of sixty-
lege and graduated in the classical course in June, 1898, °"^ y^^i'S. Spt. 17, 1895, nine years after his retire-
receiving the degree of .\. B., and three years later, in "'="' ^fo™ '"« Bench. His wife was Louisa DeTurk,
course, the degree of A. M., from his Alma Mater. Dur- ^ member of a noted old Berks county family of Hugue-
ing the last two years at college he specialized in math- "°t ong"i, she being a daughter of Jacob DeTurk, a
ematics, physics and astronomy, and attained to great farmer.

proficiency in these departments. While still at college Louis A. Sassaman was the only child of Augustus
he conducted for two seasons a summer normal school ?• aiid Louisa Sassaman. He was born Sept. 15, 1868,
at Bernville, Pa., where he prepared many young men '" .Amity township, Berks county. His early literary
and women for teaching and for entrance to various training was secured in the common schools and at Car-
colleges. After graduating he took charge of the Bern- JP" Institute, Reading, and he later attended Palatinate
ville high school and conducted it very successfully for College, Myerstown, and Dickinson College, Carlisle,
one year, and after being re-elected in the summer of where he graduated in 1891. He at once began read-
1899, he resigned to take charge of the department of \"S law with his father. After leaving Dickinson Col-
Higher Mathematics in the Keystone State Normal school, '^ge he served four years as deputy ckrk in the Quar-
his appointment to this position indicating the esteem in ter Sessions court, and in 1894 he was admitted to the
which he is generally held. While serving in this cap- ^ar of Berks county. His admission to the Superior,
acity ever since he has taken advantage of every oppor- Supreme and United States District courts was a mat-
tunity to raise the standard of his department both peda- ter of later date. Mr. Sassaman at once began prac-
gogically and scientifically, and by so doing has given tice, being fortunate in having the advice of his fath-
it a standing second to none of its kind in the State. ^r, who was then living in retirement in Reading. He

Fraternally, Prof. Bordner is prominently connected soon built up a flattering clientele, and has for the most
with Bethel Lodge, No. 820, I. O. O. F.. and Huguenot Part engaged in private practice, but has served the pub-
Lodge, No. 377, F. & A. M. In politics he is a stanch I'c i" several positions, notably as solicitor of Berks
Democrat, and as such takes an active interest in the county and as prison inspector, which latter office he
affairs of the borough of Kutztown, having served for has held since 1899.

some time as a member of the borough board of school ^l""- Sassaman married Sept. 26, 1895, Mary A. Zim-
directors in the capacity of secretary of the board. He merman, daughter of William Zimmerman (deceased),
is a member of the Association of Mathematics Teach- of Lebanon county, and to this union was born a daugh-
ers of the Middle States and Maryland, as well as of ter. Marie, now in attendance at school,
the American Federation of Science and Mathematics Mr. Sassaman is a well-known figure in the Demo-
Teachers, cratic politics of the city, county and State. He has

In March, 1898, Prof. Bordner married Mary M, Ber- always been interested in politics and from the time

ger, daughter of Levi and Rebecca (Bertram) Berger, he attained his majority has been in demand as a cam-

The former is a valued citizen and successful business paign speaker. His ready wit and keen, forceful logic

man of Bernville, and during the administration of Pres- carry conviction, and he is thus valued greatly by the

ident Cleveland was postmaster of that town. Prof, party leaders in campaigns. He is an active party work-

and Mrs. Bordner have four children, namely : Paul er and is seen at all of the conventions of the party,

B., Claude L., Grace A. and Mary H. having been delegate to many county conventions. In the

memorable campaign which placed Mr. Pattison in the

LOUIS A. SASSAMAN, of Reading, belongs to a Governor's chair he was a tireless worker,
family several of whose members have attained prom- _Mr. Sassaman is a member of the Woodmen of the

inence in the law, being a son of the late Judge Angus- World, and has for many years been a member of Friend-

tus S. Sassaman, for many years a lawyer of pre-emin- ship Fire Company No. 4, of Reading, and Aerie No.

ence in Berks county. 66, Fraternal Order of Eagles. His religious affiliations

Mr. Sassaman comes from German ancestry, whose are with the Reformed Church,
first renresentatives came to America manv vears ago,

immediately after the Revolution, and settled "in eastern REV. GEORGE SMITH KRESSLEY, .\. M., Pro-
Pennsylvania. They have been in Berks county since lessor of Latin, Greek and German, in the Keystone
the days of his great-grandfather, John Sassaman, a State Normal School at Kutztown, Pa., was born Feb.
native of Germany, who was a farmer and lived in Doug- 8, 1877, in the village of Rothrocksville, in jMaxatawny
lass township. He was a man of thrift and shrewdness, township, Berks county.

and left a large estate to his son Christian, who lived Nathan Kressley, grandfather of George S., was a

and died on one of the best properties in Douglass farmer and machinist. In early life he was a resident

township. of Lowhill, Lehigh county, but later he removed ,to

Augustus S. Sassaman was born on the old homestead ]\Iaxatawny township, where he ov^'ned land, and where

in Douglass township Feb. 7. 1834. and received his early he engaged in agricultural pursuits. Pie is buried at

education in the local schools and at a classical seminary alorgenland Church in Lehigh county. Mr. Kressley

at Boyertown. In 1853 .he entered the junior class at married Abhie Moyer, and "they had these children r

Dickinson College, Carlisle, where he graduated in 1855, Frank, Pcrcival i\i., Oliver, Amanda, Jane, iSLaria and

after which he engaged in teaching at New Berlin. Un- .Annie.

ion county, in an institution which in 1856 was merged Percival Al. Kresslev, son of Nathan, was born in

into Union Seminary. He taught ancient languages Lowhill, Lehigh county. Sept. 5, 1849, and died Feb.



BIOGRAPHICAL



517



21, 1906. He was a farmer in Maxatawny township
for about twenty-eight years, owning excellent land
near Rothrocksville, at which place he had engaged in
the mercantile business for many years prior to engaging
in agricultural pursuits. He was a good, representa-
tive citizen, and in political matters he was a Republican.
On June 27, 1874, Mr. Kressley married Martha R.
Smith, daughter of Stephen and Caroline (Smoyer) Smith,
and to this union there were born these children : Rev.
George Smith; Howard S. ; and Annie S., a graduate
of the Keystone State Normal School, class of 1907, and
now engaged in teaching.

Rev. George Smith Kressley received his early edu-
cation in the schools of Maxatawny township, attend-
ed the Keystone State Normal School, and then entered
Muhlenberg College, from which he graduated in 1898.
He later took a course at the Theological Seminary at
Mt. Airy, Philadelphia, and graduated therefrom in 1901,
being ordained a minister of the Lutheran Church in
June of that year. Previous to his graduation from
the seminary he had been appointed to the Department
of Latin, Greek and German, in the Keystone State
Normal School, in which capacity he has served to the
present time with great credit to himself and to the in-
stitution. Latin is a part of the regular Normal course,
but the school makes a specialty of regular college prepar-
atory work, and Prof. Kressley has been especially success-
ful in this line, having prepared during the short time
in which he has presided over the department over fifty
students for the various colleges of the country.

On Aug. 5, 1902, Dr. Kressley was married to Anna
R. Fretz, daughter of Reed and Maggie (Landis) Fretz,
of Bucks county, and to this union there has been born
one daughter : Helen Elizabeth.

JOHN W. RAUCH, secretary, treasurer and general
manager of the Reading Eagle Company, is descended
from old established families of Pennsylvania. The Ul-
richs, his ancestors on the maternal side, were among
the early farmers of Heidelberg township, Berks coun-
ty, while the Ranch family belonged origiiially in Dau-
phin county.

William Rauch, father of John W., was born in Han-
over township, Dauphin county. Though his father spent
his early life farming, he learned the carpenter's trade
and came to Berks county as a journeyman. William
became a contracting carpenter, and followed that trade
till his death in 1872 at the comparatively early age of
fifty-four years. He married Matilda, daughter of George
Ulrich, a well-known farmer of Berks county, and to
their union eight children were born, namely: one who
died in infancy; Bayy, who died aged six; Sarah, Mrs.
Jacob Stupp,' of North Heidelberg, who dipH when fortv-



two years old: Mary E., deceased wife of 1 T. M. Landis.j
nri vatp secretary o f V"-p- ^^rp^;lf1f^nt_■^^QQrllees.^t the;
PETIadelphia & "keadiii£_iailiaa4 i George U., a farmer
in J ackd(itrtownsKip7 Lebanon county; Rebec ca, wife of
William Zartman, also a farmer in Jackson township;
Frank I., assistant superintendent of the Eagle Company;
aiiH John W.

John W. 'Rauch was born in Heidelberg Nov. 8, 1848,
and he attended the public schools of that district. His ■
opportunities for an education were limited, however, |
for when he was twelve and a half years old he was ■
taken from school and put to work on a farm. He con- I
tinned at this connection till he was eighteen, and then
went as clerk in country stores, .remaining two years
and six months in the first place, six months m two
other stores, and then returning to his first store posi-
tion he remained there three years more. In 1872 he
moved to Reading where he was at first engaged again
in a dry good's store, but after five months he secured
a position with the Reading Eagle Company, and has
ever since been connected with that, rising steadi y.
When he began Feb. 34, 1873, he was subscription clerk;
the following year he was made bookkeeper; Dec. 6,
1881, was promoted to the position of superintendent;
and ' Feb. 1, 1904, had the added responsibilities of the



office of secretary and treasurer laid upon him. There
are 117 people on the pay-roll of the Eagle Company,
and all of these employes as well as the general inter-
ests of the company are under Mr. Ranch's personal
supervision. The phenomenal growth of the Eagle in
popularity and the extent of its circulation and patron-
age give unimpeachable evidence of Mr. Ranch's en-
tire fitness for the position he fills.

On Oct. 3, 1868, Mr. Rauch was united in matrimony
to Miss Maria E. Anderson, and three children have
been born to this union : Harry, a linotype operator .
on the Eagle; William B., head of the mechanical part
of the Eagle advertising department; and Lillie May, wife
of Peter B. Graeff, a stenographer at Washington, D. C.
Mr. Rauch was formerly a member of St. Paul's Re-
formed Church, and belonged to the Consistory of that
body, but his name is now on the rolls of the First Re-
formed Church. He is a man of wide and varied in-
terests, as is shown by the character of the many or-
ganizations with which he is connected. These include
Teutonia Lodge, F. & A. M. ; Harrisburg Consistory ;
Rajah Temple, Mystic Shrine, Reading; Reading Lodge,
B. P. O. E. ; Fraternal Order of Eagles; Royal Arca-
num; Loyal Addition to the Royal Arcanum; Wyomis-
sing Club; Elks' Home Company; Eagles' Mountain
Home Company; Americus Club; Commercial Club;
Maennerchor : Liederkranz : Turnverein ; and the Board
of Trade. In the wide circle of acquaintance resulting
from this diversity of association Mr. Rauch has num-
erous warm friends and is held in high esteem by all.
He has the respect of all the employes of the Reading
Eagle Company for the executive ability and the energetic
yet courteous manner in which he manages that estab-
lishment. In February, 1898, on the twenty-fifth anni-
versary of his service at the Eagle office, he was suprised
by the employes, who tendered him a banquet at the
"Mansion House," when toasts were drunk to his health.
In the speeches many complimentary remarks were made
respecting him. Some 'sixty persons, including repre-
sentatives of other Reading newspapers, participated. It
was marked by a cordiality which spoke volumes of the
harmony and good feeling prevailing in the Eagle office
and toward all its neighbors. Mr. Rauch , was escorted
by a committee to the "Mansion House" and introduced
to the company while they were seated around the ban-
queting board.

JOSEPH RAMBO DICKINSON, a member of the
Berks county Bar, is a son of W. Scott and Mary A.
(Rambo) Dickinson, and was born in Reading July 31,
1872. On the maternal side he is a grandson of Joseph
Rambo. a drover and hotel-keeper of Reading. Mr. and
Mrs. W. Scott Dickinson had three children, viz. : Jos-
eph R. ; ■ Nelson H., a molder of Reading ; and William
S., a teller of the Berks County Trust Company.

Mr. Dickinson graduated from the Reading high school
in 1889, and immediately, afterward entered the office of
Jeremiah K. Grant, then district attorney of Berks coun-
ty, remaining there until September, 1900, when he en-
tered the employ of Ermentrout & Ruhl, a firm com-
posed of the late Daniel Ermentrout, a member of Con-
gress, and C. H. Ruhl. While clerking for these law-
yers he read law and was admitted to the Bar in 1899.
He is a member of the Superior and Supreme Courts
! of the State and the United States District, Circuit and
1 Circuit Court of Appeals. _ He is engaged in the active
practice of the law and enjoys an extensive practice.
' He is a Mason; a member of the B. P. O. Elks, Fra-
iternal Order of Eagles, Red Men, Liberty Fire Company,
land maijy other social organizations. He belongs to the
'Trinity Lutheran Church. In politics he is a Democrat,
and he is interested in a number of financial and indus-
trial enterprises.

On April 8, 1900, Mr. Dickinson was married to Eva
M. Moyer, daughter of Charles Moyer, of Reading. They
have two children, a daughter Anna, named in honor of
Ithe noted lecturer and authoress, Anna Dickinson, and a
(son, Joseph R.



;V3



t^^Lr^r\-lr%^\'^-m^ -



QiU



A A K.n. X D.



_>



518



HISTORY OF BERKS COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



WAYNE LEINBACH SHEARER, B. S., M. S., M.
D., was born in Reading, Berks Co., Pa., Oct. 3, 1876.
His early school life he spent in the private school of
Miss Jennie Cooper, on South Fifth Street, later attend-
ing the Reading public schools at North Seventh and
Dick streets and Washington and Rose streets. He was
prepared for College in the Carroll Institute, ^ of which
Professor Edward Carroll, a graduate of Trinity Col-
lege, Dublin, Ireland, was principal. Dr. Shearer was grad-
uated from the Pennsylvania State College June 13, 1900,
receiving the degree of Bachelor of Science, and in the
Fall of the same year entered the University of Pennsyl-
vania, Medical Department, from which he was graduated
June 15, 1904, receiving the degree of Doctor of Medi-
cine. On June 13, 1906, the degree of Master of Science
was conferred by the Pennsylvania State College upon
Dr. Shearer.

He has been active in the practice of medicine since
his graduation from the University of Pennsyjvania.
In addition he is treasurer of the Leinbach Box Com-
pany a corporation, engaged in the manufacture of
wooden packing cases, crates etc., also secretary and
treasurer of the Reading Manufacturing Company, a
corporation, manufacturing washing macbmes.

Hi. is a member of the Sigma Alpha Epsilon Frater-
nity and the Theta Nu Epsilon Fraternity, the former
of which Greek Letter societies is still active at both
the University of Pennsylvania and the Pennsylvania
State College. He is also a member of St. John's Lodge
No, 435^ F. & A. M. ; of Excelsior Chapter No. 237, R.
A. M. ; and of Reading Commandery, No. 42, K. T.

Doctor Shearer is the only child of Benjamin Y. Shear-
er and Clara A. Shearer (nee Leinbach). His father,
Benjamin Y. Shearer, was born in Bern township, Berks
county, Dec. 15, 1S48, where he received part of his
preliminary education ; later he attended the Reading
Classical Academy. He taught school from 1864 to 1874,
and during the latter part of that period devoted his
spare time to the study of law ; also the entire year from
1S74 until the time of his admission to the Berks County
Bar on April 12, 1875, since which time he has been
steadily engaged in the practice of law. He married, Oct.
14. 1875, Clara A. Leinbach. He is a member of St.
John's Lodge No. 435, F. & A. M.; Excelsior Chapter,
No. 237, R. A. M. ; and a past commander of Reading
Commandery, No. 42, K. T.

Benjamin Y. Shearer is a son of Samuel T. Shearer.
born Feb. 29, 1808, died in 1881, and Catharine D. Shear-
er (nee Yorgey), born April 1. 1810, died July 1, 1893.
He is a brother to William Y. Shearer, James Y. Shearer,
M. D., Catharine Y. Hain, Elizabeth Y. Dundore, Sarah
Y. Weitzel (deceased), Aaron Y. Shearer, Amos Y,.
Shearer, and Brigetta Y. Hiester (deceased). Flis fath-
er, Samuel T. Shearer, was a son of John Shearer, born
in 1773, and died in 1847, who in turn was a son of John
Christopher Sherrer, who came to America from Ger-
many in 1769, landing at Philadelphia. Pa., in the ship
"Minerva," Thomas Arnold captain. During the Revolu-
tion he was under Washington when he crossed the Del-
aware on Christmas, 1776, at Chadd's Ford, etc.

Dr. W. L. Shearer's mother, Clara A. Shearer (nee
Leinbach), was born in Bern township, Berks county,
June 28, 1851, where she received the greater part of
her early education. She was married on Oct. 14, 1873,
to Benjamin Y. Shearer. She was a daughter of Chris-
tian R. Leinbach and Catharine S. Leinbach (nee Es-
terly). Her father Christian R. Leinbach, born Dec.
6, 1820, died July 10, ]892, was a son of William Lein-
bach and Elizabeth Leinbach, (nee Rich), an aunt to Mrs.
William Arnoiid, Cyrus Rich, James Rich, etc. Mrs. B.
Y. Shearer's mother Catherine S. Leinbach (nee Es-
terly), born May 5, 1837, died March 15, 1859, was a
daughter of Amos Esterly and Ann Barbara Esterly
(nee Stichter), a daughter of Peter Stichter, born in
1761, died in 1843, and Catharine Stichter (nee HofF).
Mrs. B. Y. Shearer is a sister to Annie E. Althouse, B.
Franklin Leinbach, J. Calvin Leinbach, Catharine E.
Graeff (deceased), and Timothy J. Lembach.



Benjamin Y. Shearer and Clara A. Shearer are living
at No. 146 North Fifth street, Reading.

Dr. W. L. Shearer was married on June 1, 1905, to
Marie Carolyn Hoffman, of Philadelphia, daughter of
George H. Hoffman and Emma S. Hoffman (nee Schnei-
der). Dr. Shearer has his office and residence at the
Northwest corner of North Front and Greenwich streets,
Reading, Pennsylvania.

JOHN H. BRIDENBAUGH, lawyer, of Reading, with
offices at No. 529 Court street, is a native of Martinsburg,
Blair Co., Pa., born Jan. 5, 1877. He has been in the
active practice of his profession since the year 1902.

Henry Bridenbaugh, his grandfather, was a farmer of
Martinsburg, Blair county. Rev. Samuel R. Bridenbaugh,
D. D., his father, is pastor of the Second Reformed
Church of Reading. Dr. Bridenbaugh married Lydia
A. Bowman, daughter of John Bowman, a merchant, and
niece of Dr. J. C. Bowman, of the Reformed Theologi-
cal Seminary at Lancaster. There were three children
in their family, of whom Paul died Aug. 31, 1904, when
just entering upon his career in the ministry of the Re-
formed Lhurch ; he was twenty-four years of age, and a
graduate of Harvard Theological Seminary. George B.
is a student at the New England Conservatory of Music,
Boston.

John H. Bridenbaugh received his early educational
training at Berlin, Somerset county, and at Carroll In-
stitute, Reading. Having been thoroughly prepared for
college at these institutions he matriculated at F'ranklin
and Marshall College, Lancaster, where he graduated in
1899. In carrying out his decision to enter upon a ca-
reer at the Bar he then went to Harvard Law School,
where he graduated in the class of 1902, in which year
he was admitted to the Berks county Bar. Fie has since
been admitted to practice in the Supreme court. At
Reading he read law in the office of Baer. Snyder &
Zieber. He engages in general practice.

While at college Mr. Bridenbaugh became a member
of the Phi Kappa Psi chapter at Franklin and Mar-
shall. He was also connected with the Diagnothian Lit-
erary Society at that school, is a member of the Harvard
Club of Reading, and is a member and chairman of the
executive committee of the Reading Canoe Club. He
belongs to the Second Reformed Church, in the work of
which he takes an active part, being at the present time
superintendent of the Sunday-school.

WILLIAM H. LUPPOLD, senior member of the real
estate and insurance firm of Luppold & Whitman, of
Reading, Pa., and a gentleman of wide influence and
great activity in business circles, is on his native heath,
having been born in Reading Nov. 5, 1870.

The grandfather of Mr. Luppold, John George Luppold,
was a farmer of Brecknock township, Berks county, while
his father, John Luppold. now retired, was for many
years in the grocery business in the city. Air. Luppold's
mother was Elizabeth Stuber. daughter of Charles Stu-
ber, who was a farmer of Maiden-creek township. There
were but three children, Elizabeth, who died at three years,
a daughter that died in infancy, and William H.

William H. Luppold is a product of nineteenth century
methods in education and business, and he is an example
cf what they can do when coupled with a fair share of
native wit and energy. He passed through the various
grades of the city schools, and then took a thorough
course in Brunner's Business college. His father being
in the grocery business, he began his career as an as-
sistant to him. remaining in that capacity for some ten
years. Having become convinced of the possibilities of
the real estate business in Reading he, in 1904, in company
with Mr. J. Benton Whitman, established offices at No.
526 Court street, and as a member of the firm of Luppold
& Whitman has since spent his activities in that line.
Mr, Luppold's judgment was not at fault, and he has
succeeded beyond the most sanguine e.\.pectations of his
friends. The strong point with Mr. Luppold is the per-
fect knowledge he seems to have of the territory in



BIOGRAPHICAL



519



which he, is working. Having been reared in the city,
there is not a foot of ground unfamiliar to him; this,
coupled with the fact that he has an intuitive knowledge



Online LibraryMorton L. (Morton Luther) MontgomeryHistorical and biographical annals of Berks County, Pennsylvania, embracing a concise history of the county and a genealogical and biographical record of representative families, comp. by Morton L. Montgomery .. → online text (page 141 of 227)