Morton L. (Morton Luther) Montgomery.

Historical and biographical annals of Berks County, Pennsylvania, embracing a concise history of the county and a genealogical and biographical record of representative families, comp. by Morton L. Montgomery .. online

. (page 144 of 227)
Online LibraryMorton L. (Morton Luther) MontgomeryHistorical and biographical annals of Berks County, Pennsylvania, embracing a concise history of the county and a genealogical and biographical record of representative families, comp. by Morton L. Montgomery .. → online text (page 144 of 227)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


to May, 1898, he wa-s transferred to Division Superinten-
dent Wilson's office at Reading. Until Feb. 12, 1900, he
filled the duties of his position acceptably, at which time
he was offered the position of draughtsman in the Read-
ing Water Department, which he filled with efficiency.
On Oct. 8, 1907, he resigned and went to Marshall, Tex-
as, to manage a project for Mr. H. A. Brown, but not
being well satisfied accepted a position with the Texas
& Pacific Railroad Company under Master Car Builder
Mr. W. D. Minten. He then left this position to become
general storekeeper and chief clerk to Master Mechanic A.
C. Miller, of the Texas Midland Railway at Terrell, Tex-
as. This position he accepted on Dec. 10, 1908.

Mr. Townsend is as yet an unmarried man. He votes
with the party of Lincoln and McKinley and is a com-
municant of St. Peter's Catholic church. A young man
of worth and energy, his future lies in his own hands.

ROBERT McKITTRICK, a well-known resident of
Reading, who is employed by the American Steel & Iron
Manufacturing Company, of the city, was born March 4,
1847. in Cumberland, England, son of Robert and Mary
(Taggert) McKittrick.

Robert McKittrick, the elder, was also a native of
Cumberland, England, and received his education in the
common schools there, being later employed around blast
furnaces. He became what is known as a furnaceman,
and was an expert iron maker, following this occupation
for many years. He had been previously employed in
a chemical works, but gave this up for the iron work.
Mr. McKittrick died in 1890, aged eighty-one years, as
a result of injuries received in an accident. He and his
wife were Presbyterians in religious belief. They were
the parents of six children : James ; Agnes ; Sarah, who
lives in South Africa, the wife of William Davidson;
Elizabeth, also of South Africa, the wife of Thomas
Harrison; Robert; and Henry, of South Africa.

Robert McKittrick, the younger, was educated in the
schools of his native Cumberland, and as a boy learned the
molder's trade which he followed for four years, and
later acquired a thorough knowledge of the machinist's
trade, being employed for eighteen years as superintendent
of the blast furnaces at Cleater Moor. In June, 1889,
Mr. McKittrick came to America, locating at Talladega,
Ala., for about two years, and then located in Pennsyl-
vania, accepting a position at Sheridan as foreman of
the Sheridan furnace. He remained there for two years
and nine months, and then, coming to Reading, he entered
the scale works, where he was employed until he entered
the employ of J. H. Sternbergh, now the American Steel
& Iron Manufacturing Company.

In 1873 Mr. McKittrick was married to Anna Walker,
a native of Cumberland, England, and to this union have
been born children as follows : Ada, Margaret Ann, Agnes
(deceased), Aaron Edward, Robert, Marie, William H.
and Harry. Mr. and Mrs. McKittrick are both members
of the Episcopal church. In his native country Mr. Mc-
Kittrick was a member of Sterling Lodge, F. & A. M.

IRWIN M. SHARMAN, a prominent citizen of Onte-
launee township, Berks Co., Pa., who is now in the em-
ploy of the P. S. V, Railroad Company as operator and



leverman near Leesport, has been closely identified with
the public interests of his township, where he has served
as justice of the peace and State legislator. Mr. Shar-
man was born Sept. 5, 1862, at the old West Reading toll
house in Spring township, Berks county, son of Levi and
Emeline (Moyer) Sharman.

John Sharman, grandfather of Irwin M., was for many
years proprietor of the old hostelry known as the "Dry
Tavern," near State Hill and Cacoosing, in Spring town-
ship, and also owned the adjoining farm, but subsequent-
ly rerhoved to Reading, where he died aged about eighty
years. He married (first) a Miss Graeff, by whom he
had all of his children, and after her death he m. Han-
nah Graeff, sister to his first wife. The children of John
Sharman were: Isaac, John, Daniel, Levi, Reuben and
two daughters.

Levi Sharman was born in 1818 at the "Dry Tavern''
in Spring township, received the ordinary education of
the times and later learned the trade of carpenter, an
occupation which he followed at Reading, where his death
occurred at the age of seventy-six years. He was mar-
ried to Emeline Moyer, daughter of Jonathan and Mary
Moyer, and to them were born four children:
Howard is an employe at the City Hall, Reading; John
married Lizzie Sturtz, and has four children, Ralph, Bir-
die, Harry and Howard; Irwin M.; and Edward with his
brother John works at locksmithing at Harbster's.

Irwin M. Sharman received his education in the schools
of Reading, whither his parents had come when he was
three years old, and when eighteen years old he learned
the trade of tinsmith with William Breidegam of that city.
In 1884, in company with his friend Squire Henry Wentz,
then of Reading but now of the State of Washington,
he made an extensive trip through Ohio, Indiana, Illinois,
Iowa, Nebraska, Colorado, Wyoming, Kansas and Mis-
souri, and returned in the fall of the year just in time
to cast his vote for Grover Cleveland for President. He
then made a trip through the South, finally locating at
Bluefield, W. Va., and worked on the New River division
of the N. & W. Railroad under Superintendent Hardy,
formerly trainmaster of the P. S. V. Railroad at Read-
ing, until 1894, when he rernoved with his family to
Leesport, where he is now ernployed by the P. S. V. road
as operator and leverman. Mr. Sharman has always taken
a great interest in matters pertaining to the welfare of
his township, and in 1896 was elected justice of the peace
for a period of five years, receiving the re-election in
1901. In 1906 he was elected to the State Legislature,
where he served his term to the complete satisfaction of
his constituents, and was re-elected in 1908. He is a mem-
ber and past grand of Leesport Lodge No. 141, I. O. O.
F., a charter member and past chief of Leesport Castle
No. 503, K. G. E. ; venerable councilor of Camp No.
9284, Modern Woodmen, since its institution ; charter
member and R. S. for three years of Ontelaunee Council
No. 985, I. O. A. ; financial secretary and trustee of Un-
ion Fire Company No. 1, Leesport; and a member of
the Order of Railroad Telegraphers, Despatchers, Agents
and Signalmen.

On Feb. 13, 1894, Mr. Sharman was married to Annie
M. Dack, daughter of Jonathan and Mary Dack. Mr. and
Mrs. Sharman are members of the First Reformed
Church.

SAMUEL G. BURKHOLDER, M.D., a rising young
physician of Reading, was born in Brickerville, Lancaster
Co., Pa., March 12, 1871. He is a son of the late George
and Elizabeth (Gockley) Burkholder, who followed farm-
ing in the above named county until 1891, when they re-
tired and moved to Denver, Pa., where the mother, Eliza-
beth- Burkholder, still resides. George Burkholder died
April 8. 1906.

Dr. Burkholder attended the public schools at Brick-
erville ard at Denver, Pa., during his boyhood days, and
later comoleted his preliminary education at the Millers-
ville State Normal School. In early youth he decided
to prepare for t'le medical profession.' This was strenu-
ously opposed by his father who finally persuaded him



526



HISTORY OF BERKS COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



to take up veterinary medicine instead. Accordingly he
entered tlie Ontario Veterinary College in the fall of
1889, from which institution he graduated with honors
in the spring of 1891. He was awarded a medal and other
prizes by the above named institution as evidences pi
proficiency. His Alma Mater offered him the chair of
veterinary anatomy on the faculty before he was twenty-
one years of age. This he declined, and started to prac-
tice his profession in the summer of 1891 at Denver, Pa.
Shortly after locating at Denver he became joint owner
and editor of the Denver Press, in partnership with .E. B.
Wolf. In 1896 he sold his interest in the Denver Press
to his partner, E. B. Wolf, and in the fall of same year
he took a civil service examination for the position of
federal meat inspector. He had the highest average made
at the fall examination in 1896. and was promptly appoint-
ed assistant meat inspector by the Bureau of Animal
Industry, and ordered to Chicago, III., to assist in the
work in that citv. Shortly after he reached Chicago,
he matriculated as a student in the Harvey Medical
College, a night school in good standing. From this
institution he graduated in June, 1898, with the
highest average ever made by any student up to this time.
(The college is now extinct). He continued in the meat
inspection service at Chicago until Dec. 1, 1898, when he
was transferred to Nashville, Tenn., to inaugurate inspec-
tion there. In the fall of 1898, before leaving Chicago,
he was appointed by the management of the McKillip
Veterinary College of Chicago to inaugurate a course
in meat and milk inspection to prepare the students for
federal positions in this line of work. He was also lec-
turer on comparative anatomy at his alma mater.
His sudden departure from Chicago for Nashville, Tenn.,
terminated his connections with the above named schools,
but only temporarily. He resigned his position as meat
inspector at Nashville. Tenn., Jan. 13, 1899, and immed-
iately returned to Chicago, resumed his work at the schools
and started to practise his profession, locating on West
Congress street, that city. In the fall of 1899 he matricu-
lated as a senior student in the Northwestern University
Medical College, Chicago, from which institution he grad-
uated in June, 1900. In March, 1900. he received the hon-
orary degree D. V. M. from the McKillip Veterinary Col-
lege. Shortly after graduating fromi the Northwestern
University Medical College, he returned to his native State,
Pennsylvania, and in August, of the same year, he located
at Rothsville, Pa., where he practised his chosen profes-
sion until February, 190.5, when he sold out his practice
there, and returned to Chicago to take up post-graduate
work. Besides taking a general review in internal medi-
cine he took a special course at the Illinois School of
Electro-therapeutics. In April, 1905, he returned east and
located at No. 613 Walnut street. Reading, Pa., where he
is enjoying a large practice. Besides doing general prac-
tice Dr. Burkholder is Medical Director of the Reading
Mutual Life Insurance Company, and also secretary of
the Corporation Funding and Finance Company. Both of
these companies are rapidly forging to the front in their
chosen lines.

In October, 1900. Dr. Burkholder married Miss Rheba
G. Smith, of Blainesport. Pa. The union was blessed with
two children both of whom died in infancy. Dr. Burk-
holder holds membership in various fraternal organizatious,
principal among them being the Knights of Malta and the
Masons. The latter order he joined while in Chicago,
being a member of Mizpah Lodge, No. 768, of that city.
He is also a member of the City, County, State, and
American Medical Associations.

OLIVER JNT. WOLFF, a prominent young professional
man, of Reading, Pa., senior member of the law firm of
Wolff & Sho'mo, was born May 28. 1879, in Hamburg,
Berks county, son of Oliver J. Wolff.

Abraham Wolff, great-grandfather of Oliver M., was
located in Hamburg, where he was engaged in business
as a harness maker.

Daniel Wolff, son of Abraham, was born at Hamburg,
in 1800, and he. too. became a harness maker. From



1830 to 1861 he also engaged in farming, and he died in
the latter year. He married Sevilla Fasig, a direct des-
cendant of Conrad Weiser, and their children were:
Charles, Rufus, Mahlon, Frank, Daniel, Sevilla, Elmira,
Helen, Adelaide, Walter, Oliver J. and Virginia.

Oliver J. Wolff was bom in Hamburg, Pa., Feb. 2,
1849, and received his education in his native locality. In
his youth he learned the harness-making business, which
he followed with his brother Rufus until 1888, when he
came to Reading. The same year he entered the prothono-
tary's office as clerk under D. H. Schwoyer, and in 1895
he was elected to the position of prothonotary of Berks
county, on the Democratic ticket, serving the full term
of three years. From 1898 until 1903, Air. Wolff clerked
in the office, and in the latter year retired, since which
time he has been living at his home, No. 346 North Fifth
street, Reading. In 1873 he had engaged in boat building,
making sailing vessels, etc. While in Hamburg, Mr. Wolff
served as justice of the peace from 1875 to 1888, served
six years on the school board, being secretary thereof, and
several years as borough treasurer. Oliver J. Wolff mar-
ried Annie M. Miller, daughter of Joel and Catharine
Miller, and to this union were born: Laura m. Charles L.
Oaks, of Reading; Ada m. I. B. Dubell, of Philadelphia;
and Oliver M. Mr. Wolff is a member of Vaux Lodge,
E. & A. M., No. 406, of Hamhurg; Washington Camp,
No. 74, P. O. S. of A.; Council No. 74, O. U. A. ML;
Union Eire Company of Hamburg; and Council No. 1104,
R. A. He was a member of St. John's Lutheran Church
of Hamburg, in which he served as deacon and trustee,
and while in Hamburg he was superintendent of the
St. John's Sunday-school of the Lutheran and Reformed
Church. He is a member of Trinity Lutheran Church of
Reading.

Oliver M. Wolff received his preliminary educational
training in the public schools of Ham'burg, coming to
Reading with his parents and here later attending the
high school, graduating with the class of 1898. He en-
tered the University of Pennsylvania, graduating from
the Law Department in 1901. He read law in an office
in Philadelphia, and was admitted to practice in the sev-
eral courts of Philadelphia June 19, 1901, and to the
Berks county Bar Sept. 8. 1902. On Aug. 20, 1905. j\Ir.
Wolff formed a partnership with William A. Shomo, and
they have continued together since that time, with offices
at No. 522 Washington street, Reading, Pa. Mr. Wolff's
profession connects him. with the Berks County Bar Asso-
ciation. He is also a member of the Supreme, Superior,
and several County Courts of Pennsvlvania. He is a
member of the Alumni Association and Kent Law Club
of the University of Pennsylvania; of the Alumni Asso-
ciation of the Reading High Schools, and in 1907 and
1908 was elected treasurer thereof; and is president of
the Penn Wheelmen of Reading, having been re-elected
four successive years. He belongs to Trinity Lutheran
Church at Reading.

'WILLIAM A. SHOMO, one of the leading voung at-
torneys at law of the Berks countv Bar, and a member of
the well-known law firm of Wolff & Shomo. was born at
Hamburg, Pa.. Dec. 25, 1879, son of Harrv P. and Emma
R. (Confer) Shomo.

Mr. Shomo is a member of one of the oldest families
in Berks county, his great-great-grandfather. John Shomo,
having lived here as earlv as 17.i2. Tohn Shomo was a
son of Bernard Shomo, who emigrated to Philadelphia
from France in the early part of the eighteenth century.
The latter was a civil engineer of repute in his native coun-
try, and he continued to follow this profession after com-
ing to .America. He died in Philadelphia, in 1793. John
Shomo, like his father before him, became a civil engineer,
and, so far as known, followed his profession up to the
time of his death. May 5. 1836. It was he who originally
surveyed the Schuylkill county coal fields, and he is known
to have owned a large acreage of land in that section.
He was a Revolutionary soldier. He resided in Reading
up to the year 1800, when he moved with his family to




^cx..^ ^.}n.



OULX^QL^A.



BIOGRAPHICAL



527



Hamburg. He was the father of four children: Eliza-
beth, Joseph, John and William.

William Shomo, son of John Shomo, was born m 1796
and died Dec. 18, 1842, at the age of forty-six years. He
was a successful merchant. He was the father of four
children : John, deceased, late of Washington, D. C. ;
Henry, deceased, late of Fremont, Ohio; Sarah, deceased
(m. Thomas P. Wren, of Pottsville) ; Elias, deceased,
late of Hamburg.

Elias Shomo, son of William Shomo, was born in Ham-
burg March 26, 1827, and died there May 13, 1894, hav-
ing been a life-long resident of that place. For some
years he was engaged in the 'furniture business, but later
he purchased the "Central House" property, one of Ham-
burg's leading hotels, and there conducted a successful
hotel business for many years. He retired from busi-
ness several years before his death. He was at one time
postmaster of Hamburg, and was a leading and influential
man of his day. He married Elizabeth Schatz, of Ger-
man-ancestry, and to them were born six children: Sarah,
James, Laura, Harry P., Allen L. and Elizabeth.

Harry P. Shomo, son of Elias Shomo and father of
William A., was born in Hamburg, Pa., Sept. 28, 1860.
He received his education in the public schools of Ham-
burg and under private tutors. For a number of years
he has been prominently identified with the Auditor Gen-
eral's Department, at Harrisburg. He is a highly respected
citizen of Hamburg and has a wide acquaintance through-
out the county. Mr. Shomo married Emma R. Confer,
daughter of Alfred Confer, deceased, and to this union
have been born three sons : William A., Allen E. and J.
Harold. The latter died during January, 1908, at the
age of nineteen years.

William A. Shomo spent his boyhood days in the borough
of Hamburg, where he attended the public schools, gradu-
ating from the high school in the spring of 1898. In the
fall of that year he entered Dickinson College, Carlisle,
Pa., matriculating as a mernber of the Class ■ of 1901,
He pursued the Latin Scientific course, and at the end
of his' sophomore year left the college to enter the Dick-
inson School of Law. From the latter institution he grad-
uated three years later as a leading member of the Class
of 1903, with the degree of LL. B. While at College,
Mr. Shomo became a member of the Belle Lettres Society
and the Sigma Chi Fraternity, and took an active part
in the affairs of both. In the law school, he was a mem-
ber of the Allison Law Society, and was chosen one year
as president of his class. While a student at college, he
was awarded a gold medal as first prize in an oratorical
contest held under the auspices of the State Convention
of the P. O. S. of A.

Upon graduating from the Dickinson School of Law,
Mr. Shomo was admitted to practice before the Cum-
berland County Bar, but soon thereafter returnedto his
native county to follow his profession. At Reading, he
entered the law office of Stevens & Stevens, where he re-
mained for one and one-half years, and, then in June,
1904, he passed the State Board examination for admis-
sion to practice before the Supreme Court. On Oct. 3,
1904, he was admitted to practice in the several courts of
Berks county, and on Sept. 1, 1905, he formed a partner-
ship with O. M. Wolff, Esq., under the firm name of
Wolff & Shomo. This firm have a fine suite of offices
at No. 522 Washington street, Reading. They enjoy an
enviable reputation, and have won the confidence of a
large clientage. Mr. Shomo is a member of the Berks
County Bar Association, Chandler Lodge, No. 227, F. &
A. M., Reading Board of Trade, American Academy of
Political and Social Science, and other organizations.

On Aug. 10. 1905, Mr. Shomo was married to Marian
Rae Fisher, daughter of the late George and Elizabeth
Fisher, of Reading.

WESLEY D. MOHN, merchant and contractor at
Mohnton, Pa., was born in Cumru townshi.o, Berks county,
Mav 5, 1853, son of the late Benjamin and Harriet (Deeds)
Mohn.



Benjamin Mohn, who was born in Cumru township in
1806, learned the shoemaking trade when a boy, but later
went to farming. In 1846 he founded Mohnsville, now
known as Mohnton, building the first house at this place.
He also erected a gristmill in the same year along Wyo-
missing creek, engaging in this business for about twenty
years in connection with clearing his land, ..and then he
engaged in the manufacture of boxes, in which he was
very successful, to the time of his death. His death,
caused by a fall down a stairway, occurred in his eighty-
third year, and he was buried at the Mohnton cemetery.

Wesley D. Mohn attended the township schools, and
when a young man learned the blacksmith's trade, and also
the wheelwright's trade with Daniel Peiffer at Mohnton.
He engaged in the manufacture of wagons, and this he
followed successfully for twenty-two years, then engag-
ing in contracting, in which he still continues. He es-
tablished his store at Mohnton in 1891, and this has be-
come the leading general store of Cumru township. In
January, 1906, Mr. Mohn admitted his son, H. Irwin, to
partnership, and the firm has since been known as W. D.
Mohn & Son. From 1891 to 1897 Mr. Mohn was post-
master, this office having been established by a cousin,
Mr. S. K. Mohn. Mr. Mohn is also interested in many
other business enterprises, having been connected with the
AUentown & Reading Traction Co. since 1897, serving as
its treasurer in 1903 ; he has been a director and second
largest stockholder in that company since that time. At
present he is vice-president of that corporation. He is a
director of the Kutztown Electric Light & Power Com-
pany, one of the founders of the Mohnton Water Com-
pany, and superintendent of the latter industry. Mr. JVEohn
was one of the instigators in building the Reading &
South Western Electric Railway (connecting Mohnton and
Reading). He secured the rights of way for this road,
and also raised $30,000.00 in stock at Mohnton. This
stock was paid back, along with interest at six per cent.,
when the road changed hands. Mr. Mohn is also senior
member of the machine company located at Carpenter and
Cherry streets, Reading, known as W. D. Mohn & Co. His
interests are many and varied, and he is considered one of
the most substantial citizens of Cumru township.'

On March 1, 1873, Mr. Mohn married Sarah Binkley,
daughter of Jeremiah and Mary (Kline) Binkley, and to
this union were born children as follows : Margaret, a
.graduate of the Keystone State Normal School in the class
of 1901, has taught school for several years ; Irwin, in
business with his father, married Sarah Fitterling; Minnie
A. is interested in charitable and religious work;
Clara E., married Adam Bear; Anna, a graduate of the
Keystone State Normal School, class of 1904, is now
engaged in teaching school; Wayne, a graduate of the
Kirst College of Stenography, is employed at the Mohn-
ton store ;_ and Pearl attends the township high school.
Mr. Mohn is a Republican in politics, and his fraternal
connections are with the K. of P., No. 485; the K. G. E.,
No. 211; and 0. U. A. M., of Mohnton. He is a faithful
member of the Zion United Evangelical Church, having
been trustee thereof since 1885, and a liberal supporter
of the church.

DAVID F. MAUGER. Being descended through his
father from a line of Palatinate German ancestry, _ and
through his mother from the French Huguenots, David F.
Mauger has the admixture of blood which stands for the
highest type of citizefiship in Pennsylvania. He is a son
of the late David B. Mauger, and his wife, Amanda Lorah.

David B. Mauger, who died April 2, 1906, at the age of
eighty-four years, was a man of great usefulness to his
community in his generation. For a period of fifty-five
years, he served continuously in the office of justice
of the peace. He had a thorough knowledge of the
law relating to the administration of his office, and he
probably filled the English idea of the country squire and
gentleman more nearly than any local justice of his time.
He was an expert surveyor and his surveys and drafts on
disputed boundaries and land titles have so effectively
settled questions of that character in Lower Berks, that the



538



HISTORY OF BERKS COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



courts of law are seldom invoked to give judgment upon
them. He was identified with many local interests and
corporations, and served his community 'faithfully in a
manifold way as executor, administrator, guardian, trustee
and ill many another fiduciary capacity. He reared his
family in the Reformed Church, and gave to each
of his children a liberal education. His eldest son, D.
Lorah Mauger, is now the assistant passenger agent of the
Philadelphia Sz Reading Railway Company, with offices at
Reading ; the youngest son, Henry S. Mauger, is a success-
ful druggist in the City of Philadelphia. His only daugh-
ter, Salfie, is the wife of Dr. S. H. Shingle, of Philadel-
phia, and the remaining son, David F. Mauger, is the sub-



Online LibraryMorton L. (Morton Luther) MontgomeryHistorical and biographical annals of Berks County, Pennsylvania, embracing a concise history of the county and a genealogical and biographical record of representative families, comp. by Morton L. Montgomery .. → online text (page 144 of 227)