Morton L. (Morton Luther) Montgomery.

Historical and biographical annals of Berks County, Pennsylvania, embracing a concise history of the county and a genealogical and biographical record of representative families, comp. by Morton L. Montgomery .. online

. (page 145 of 227)
Online LibraryMorton L. (Morton Luther) MontgomeryHistorical and biographical annals of Berks County, Pennsylvania, embracing a concise history of the county and a genealogical and biographical record of representative families, comp. by Morton L. Montgomery .. → online text (page 145 of 227)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


ject of this sketch.

David Franklin ^lauger is a graduate of Franklin and
Marshall College of Lancaster. At this institution, he be-
came a member of the Phi Kappa Psi College Fraternity
and the Goethean Literary Society. He was graduated
with high honors in 1886 which entitled him to an election
in the Phi Beta Kappa Society. Upon leaving college, he
became principal of the high school in Center Hall, Penn-
sylvania, which position he filled with credit for two terms.
He then entered, as a student, the law office of George F.
Baer, Esq., now the president of the Philadelphia & Read-
ing Railway Company, and was admitted to the Bar at
Reading in 1889. Upon his admission to the Bar, he en-
tered into a partnership with his college friend, Abraham
H. Rothermel, under the name of Rothermel & Mauger,
with which firm he is still associated. This co-partnership
is one of the well-established firms of lawyers in the City
of Reading, enjoying a large and lucrative practice in all
the Courts. Mr. Mauger has served for a term of three
years as the county solicitor and for a like term as assist-
ant district attorney. He is affiliated with the Democratic
party. As an adviser and counselor Mr. Mauger is able
and sound, and as a practitioner before the courts and
juries, he is skillful and persuasive.

Mr. Mauger is happily married to Miss Mary Gorrell,
daughter of the late Robert Gorrell, of Douglassville, for-
merly an extensive operator in anthracite coal in Schuylkill
and Columbia counties. Their marriage has been blessed
with two daughters Dorothy and Marion. He resides at
Douglassville. Pennsylvania.

His grandfather was David Mauger, a farmer of Doug-
lass township. He died in 1875, aged seventy-eight years.
He was married to Sarah Bechtel, a daughter of George
Bechtel, of Pottsgrove township, Montgomery county. She
died in 1881, aged seventy-nine years.

His great-grandfather was Henry Mauger, who emi-
grated from the Palatinate about 1762, and settled in
Douglass township.

His mother, who was eighty-four years of age on the
35th day of April, 1909, was the daughter of Daniel Lorah,
of Amity township, and granddaughter of George Lorah,
also of Amity township. Her mother was Hannah Knabb,
of Oley township. George Lorah was a son of John
Lorah, who emigrated from France in 1710, during the
time of the persecution of the Huguenots, and settled in
Amity township.



WILLIAM HARBSTER (deceased), for many years
one of the leading spirits of the manufacturing interests
of Reading, Pa., was born Oct. 20, 1823, in Albany town-
ship, Berks county, son of Henry and Mary (Bucher)
Harbster.

John Harbster, grandfather of William, emigrated to
America from Germany, settling in Albany township,
Berks county, and later lived in Montgomery and Lehigh
counties, following farming in the, several localities.

Henry Harbster, son of John, was born in Berks county
and educated in the subscription schools. In early life
he learned the blacksmith's trade, which he followed some
years. He also invented and manufactured coffee mills
in Berks, Montgomery and Lehigh counties, in which
he met with more than ordinary success. He was a
Democrat in political belief, but only took a voting interest
in politics. He married a daughter of Sebastian Bucher,



and their children were: Matilda, wife of Casper Aman;
Hannah, whose third husband was Jacob Newkirk; Ellen,
deceased wife of William M. Griscom ; Henry ; Saniuel,
who died in youth; Matthan, of Reading; and William.
Of this family in 1906 were still living Hannah and
Matthan.

William Harbster received his education in the com-
mon and subscription schools of Albany township, after
which he removed to Boyertown, where he apprenticed
himself to learn the blacksmith's trade, remaining in
that locality seven years. After hig apprenticeship had
been served he worked as a journeyman, and then removed
to Reading, where he engaged in work in a foundry and
was subsequently employed with the Philadelphia & Read-
ing Railroad Company. Not liking the change, he decided
to commence operations in the northern part of the county,
and, locating in Hamburg, he opened a smithy, manufactur-
ing the iron work for carriages, etc. After remaining
here two years, he returned to Reading, and with the as-
sistance of his brother-in-law, William M. Griscom, he
founded the Reading Hardware Works. Beginning under
very humble circumstances, and at first manufacturing
but a few articles, by his incessant energy, excellent man-
agement and skilled workmanship the business increased
and far exceeded the fondest hopes of its originator and
founder. He found it necessary to admit more help,
subsequently admitting Matthan and John, his younger
brothers, as partners, under the style of Harbster Bros.
The business continued to prosper under the new man-
agement and the brothers succeeded in building up one
of the most extensive plants in the world, the Reading '
Hardware Company.

Mr. Harbster was also the head of the Reading Nickel
Plating Works. His advice was much sought after on
account of his being so successful in his own business, and
he later became officially connected with banks and other
business organizations. In fact, if any new enterprise
was founded in which he was not interested, investors
seemed to lose confidence, such was the esteem in which
he was held. He was a man of noble character, honest
and upright in all of his dealings, and a great friend
of the poor and needy. He gave liberally to any and every
just cause and the extent of his philanthropy will never
be known to the outside world. Through his death Read-
ing lost one of its most prominent citizens.

Mr. Harbster married June 15, 1848, Ellen Matthews,
daughter of George Matthews, a native of Lebanon county,
Pa. He was of Irish descent, and belonged to a family,
the descendants of which figured conspicuously in the
affairs of the State. To Mr. and Mrs. Harbster the fol-
lowing children were born: Emma R. m. William Kensel;
Cecelia m. John G. Mohn ; John F. ; Morris G. is deceased ;
Annie R. m. John Goodman; Howard E. ; and Mary Mar-
garet m. J. Wilhelm Hartraann, native of Germany, and a
graduate of the Hamburg Conservatory of Music and that
of Munich, from which institutions he received the high-
est honors, and he has become a composer of much note.

Mr. Harbster was a Republican in his political belief,
but never aspired to public preferment. He was a member
of Chandler Lodge of Masons No. 237; Reading Chapter
No. 153; Creigh Council No. 16; and De Molay Com-
mandery No. 9. He was a consistent member and liberal
supporter of Trinity Lutheran Church for many years
Mr. Harbster died June 16, 1885.

JAMES PHILIP SELLERS, clothier at Reading for
forty years and still in active business, was born at Allen-
town, Pa., May 9, 1S44, and there educated, in the public
schools and the Allentown Academy. At the suggestion
of his uncle, James Jameson, he went to Reading in 1865,
and after working in the Philadelphia & Reading Railway
Company's shop for eighteen months, entered the large
wholesale and retail clothing house of his uncle at the
northeast corner of Penn square, where he has continued
to the present time.

For ten years Mr. Sellers was a salesman in the store
and his great interest and success in the business so won
the confidence of his uncle that he was then admitted as





'f{l:




6h^



BIOGRAPHICAL



539



a partner in the firm which has been trading for many
years at the same stand as J. Jameson & Co. In 1890 Mr.
Jameson died; then the firm was re-organized by the sur-
viving partners, William A. Medlar, Mr. Jameson's son-in-
law, Charles S. Bachman, a former employe for many
years, and Mr. Sellers, as Sellers, Medlar & Bachman, the
nephew having taken the uncle's place as the senior part-
ner in the business, which evidences his superior character.
In 1900 Mr. Bachman withdrew from the firm on account
of his age, and his interest having been purchased by Wil-
liam R. Fenstermacher, of Lenhartsville, the name of the
firm was changed to Sellers, Medlar & Co. Mr. Medlar
. having retired in 1903, his interest was purchased by Wil-
liam J. Frederick, of Allentown, a nephew of Mr. Sellers,
when the name was changed to J. P. Sellers & Co. And
thus it has continued to the present time. In 1908 Joseph
Ritter Sellers, a son of the senior member, was admitted
as a partner.

In 1882 the electors of the Seventh ward elected Mr.
Sellers to represent them in the Common branch of the
city councils, and he served one term of two years, having
been elected on the Republican ticket. In 1890 he became
identified with the Board of Trade, and after serving on
different committees, he officiated as its president in 1901
and 1902. During the observance of the sesqui-centennial
of Reading in 1898, he was president of the executive com-
mittee, and much of its success was due mainly to his un-
remitting labors during a preparatory period of two years.
Mr. Sellers has also been identified with the financial af-
fairs of Reading, serving as a director of the Reading
Mutual Fire Insurance Company, and of the Pennsylvania
Trust Company.

In 1868 Mr. Sellers was married to Elizabeth Ritter, the
only child of Joseph Ritter and Eliza Witman, his wife,
both of whom were descendants of the earliest inhabitants
of Reading. By her he is the father of a son Joseph Ritter,
who married Minnie Heffner, daughter of Daniel Heffner
of Reading, and they have one son James Heffner Sellers.
Mrs. Sellers died in 1908. She was a devoted member
of Trinity Lutheran Church from her childhood, as her
parents and grandparents had been in the early history of
the church, and, on account of her superior voice was
chosen as a singer in the choir for fifteen years. She
took an active part in the Sunday-school work for many
years, and also in works of charity for the congregation
as well as the community at large.

Joseph Ritter, father of Mrs. Sellers, was the honored
court crier of the Berks county courts for forty years
from the establishment of the court house at Sixth and
Court streets in 1840, and upon his decease in 1830 the
judges and lawyers, at a public meeting held for that
purpose, passed highly complimentary resolutions eulo-
gizing his superior character. At a Bar supper, Dec. 20,
1872, in appreciation of his distinguished services and
uniform courtesy, they presented him with a fine gold
watch and chain.

The 'father of Mr. Sellers was Philip Sellers, a whole-
sale tobacco and cigar manufacturer at Allentown for fif-
teen years. He died in 1851 aged forty-six years. He was
.married to Elizabeth Worman, daughter of Henry Wor-
man, of Allentown, who died in 1876, aged seventy-three
years. They had three children : James P. ; Henry ; and
Mary. m. to Benneville Frederick, of Allentown, whose
son William J. is now a member of J. P. Sellers & Co.
His antecedents were brought up in the vicinity of Sellers-
ville, in Bucks county, Pennsylvania.

COL. WILLIAM TREXLER, long prominent and
widely known throughout Berks county, died at his
home in Longswamp township Dec. 19, 1905. He was
born in that township Sept. 2, 1816, son of Reuben and
Anna (Lesher) Trexler.

The Trexler family in America, so far as is known,
was founded by John Peter Trexler, who made his home
in Northumberland county. Pa., where he became very
influential.
34



Peter Trexler, the paternal grandfather of Col. William,
engaged in farming at Mertztown, where he spent his ac-
tive days. He married Catherine Grim.

Reuben Trexler, son of Peter, was an iron master, and
that calling together with farming he followed all his
active years. He died in 1846, at the age of sixty-four.
He married Anna Lesher, who was born in Longswamp
township, Berks county, daughter of Jacob Lesher, an
iron master of Berks- county, who moved to Pottstown
after retiring from business. Five children were born to
Reuben Trexler and wife, namely: Horatio, who at the
time of his death was president of the National Union
Bank, at Reading; William; Lesher, who became a suc-
cessful physician at Fort Wayne, Ind., and is now de-
ceased; Caroline, deceased wife of William Schall, of Nor-
ristown. Pa.; Lucinda, who married James Rittenhouse,
and both are now deceased.

Col. William Trexler was given a good common school
education, and on reaching young manhood engaged in
farming, afterward taking up tanning at his late home
farm. He then tried milling and later the coal business,
all proving successful ventures and he finally added a gen-
eral mercantile store. The last few years of his life were
spent in retirement. He took great pleasure in his beauti-
ful home, located in Longswamp township.

In 1842 Colonel Trexler was married to Mary Ann Sing-
master, of Macungie township, Lehigh county, daughter
of John Singmaster, a farmer and tanner. Mrs. Trex-
ler died in 1877. To this union were born the following,
children: Reuben, deceased; Alonzo, late of Hunting-
don county, Pa., now deceased; Annie, widow of Harrison
Maltzberger, an attorney at Reading: Alvin S., who
conducted a tannery and coal yard in Longswamp town-
ship, but is now retired; William'; Lesher Ashley, a prac-
ticing physician at San Antonio, Texas, now deceased;
John L. S., of Macungie, Pa.; Mary, who married Hiram
Weiler, and who is now deceased; and Henry Clay and
Myra, both deceased. Colonel Trexler married (second)
Amelia Schall, who died in February, 1890.

In politics Colonel Trexler was a Republican, and for
fifty-three years was postmaster at Longswamp. He was
justice of the peace for many years, and also held a num-
ber of other local offices, never being defeated if he offered
himself as a candidate. He was a Mason, belonging to
Burgess Lodge No. 333, F. & A. M., Allentown. In his
religious faith he was a Lutheran.

JOEL H. KRICK, the well-known proprietor of the
"West End Hotel," one of the popular hostelries of Read-
ing, located at the corner of Schuylkill avenue and Button-
wood street, was born in Reading, Dec. 4, 1861, son of
Levi J. R. and Mary (Hinnershitz) Kirick, and grandson
of Peter Krick.

Peter Krick was a native of Heidelberg township, Berks
county, and was a well-known boat-builder in the
days when the Schuylkill canal was one of the principal
means of transportation in this section of Pennsylvania.
He followed his vocation for many years at the foot of
Buttonwood street, Reading, where his boat-building yard
was located, and became very successful. Mr. Krick mar-
ried Susan Reber, of Berks county, and she bore her hus-
band these children: William R., Joel R., Adam R., Levi
J. R., Peter, R., Emma (m. William Leas) and Catherine.
Mr. Krick was very liberal in his religious views, but was
kind and charitable, and few indeed were the subscriptions
for a worthy cause that, did not bear his name. In politics
he was a stanch Democrat, but he never cared for, nor
sought, public office.

Levi J. R. Krick learned boat-building under the skilled
tuition of his father, following that occupation for many
years. In 1887 he turned his attention to the hotel busi-
ness, following that occupation until his death in 1905, at
the age of sixty-six years. He was known for his many
sterling traits of character, and was ever liberal to those
in need. The children born to Levi J. R. Krick and his_
wife were: Joel H., Peter M., Annie (m. Harry Shrump,
deceased), Emma (m. Daniel Whitmoyer, deceased), Mary
(deceased, m. Harvey Kissinger) and Rebecca (deceased).



530



HISTORY OF BERKS COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



In religious belief the family were connected with the Re-
formed Church. He was a loyal Democrat, and was elect-
ed to fill positions of honor and trust, serving in both the
common and select councils, and at one time being market
commissioner. He was a letter carrier during President
Cleveland's first term. He was connected with several fra-
ternal organizations, and was a member of the Junior
Fire Company. Mrs. Krick died in 1891, aged about
forty-eight years.

Joel 'H. Krick received his education in the public schools
of Reading, and when a boy worked in the boat yard
which had been founded by his grandfather. Learning
the trade of boat builder with his father, he followed this
occupation, for some time, and in 1885 was appointed under
Mayor Getz, a member of the Reading Police Force, con-
tinuing as a member until 1887. During Mayor Merritt's
administration Mr. Krick was again appointed to that po-
sition, 1890-1893, and upon the expiration of this term
he entered the employ of his father in the hotel, in which
he has since continued. In 1897 he was elected a member
of the board of prison inspectors for Berks county, serv-
ing nine years, and for seven years was president thereof.
He was elected by the firemen of the 2nd district as assist-
ant chief of the Reading Fire Department, serving three
years. Mr. Krick has always been a stanch Democrat, and
has always been a. valuable party man in the Sixth ward.
He has been a delegate to various county and State con-
ventions. On Nov. 3, 1908, by n large majority Mr. Krick
• was elected a director of the poor of Berks county, for a
term oj three years. He is very popular fraternally, hold-
ing membership in the following orders : I. O. O. F. ;
Fraternal Order of Eagles; P. O. S. of A.; the Indepen-
dent Gun Club; the Eagles Mountain Home Association;
the Harmonic Association; and the Schuylkill Fire Com-
pany. He was a member of the Junior Fire Company for
twenty years, but resigned to join the Schuylkill Fire Com-
pany in 1901. He is also connected with the Northwestern
Beneficial Association. In religion Mr. Krick is connected
with the Reformed Church.

In 1885 Mr. Krick married Rosa Weidner, and to this
union were born five children, four of whom are living, as
follows: James, Joel, Jr., Maud (who married Edward
Englehart, is living at No. 252 W. Buttonwood Av., and
is the mother of Joel Henry) and Esther.

ADODPH KRAER1ER, of Reading, Pa., the owner
and manager of a printing and publishing establishment
at No. 236 North Ninth street, was born July 28, 1875.
and is a son of Joseph and Balbina Kraemer, who emigrated
from the Duchy of Baden. Germany, locating at Phil-
adelphia, for a period of time, and in 1883 settling in
the northeastern section of Reading, Pennsylvania.

Adolph Kraemer attended the Reading schools until
fourteen years of age, whereupon he entered the print-
ing office of Mr. W. Rosenthal to learn the printer's trade.
For a period of five years he remained at this establish-
ment, working his way during the day into the secrets
of the art of printing, and at night studying his books
to advance himself further in the knowledge of gener-
al literature. For nearly three years he attended a local
college, taking courses in business, literature and lan-
guages. During 1894 he made a tour of the States for
the purpose of studying the various conditions, methods
and systems of printing establishments throughout the
country, being during this tour employed in about thirty
different printing plants. In the fall of 1894, he returned
and engaged in the printing business at No. 621 Moss
street (the residence of his parents) in a small back
room, operating his one job press by foot power.

In 1897 Mr. Kraemer removed his establishment to larg-
er quarters at Ninth and Oley streets where he acquired
the use of an electric motor. In 1898 he removed his
place of business to No. 208 North Ninth street, and six
months later to No. 310 North Ninth street, where he re-
mained for seven years. In 1905 he purchased his pres-
ent quarters, the desirable property at No. 236 North
Ninth street, vvhich he remodeled and rebuilt to suit his
increased requirements and he has occupied same since



September, 1905. During 1909 he entered into the career
of publisher of fiction under the name of The Kraemer
Publishing House — in addition to his Book and Job
Printing.

On Sept. 2, 1897, Mr. Kraemer married Miss Mary L.
Ott, of Reading, daughter of Magnus and Josephine (Al-
brecht) Ott. This union has been blessed with five chil-
dren : Louisa M., Marie A., Gertrude L., Theresa B.
and Herman J.

HARRY KLINE, postmaster and general merchant at
Rehrersburg, Pa., and one of Tulpehocken township's
representative citizens, was born at Rehrersburg, June
25, 1874, son of Frank S. and Rebecca E. (Forry) Kline.

Philip Kline, the great-grandfather of Harry, was born
Dec. 26, 1788, and was a resident of Rehrersburg, where
for many years he kept a large tannery and general store,
and where he died July 18. 1855. He married Catharine
Shollenberger (born Aug. 4, 1791. died Jan. 27, 1867),
and they had these children: Benjamin, grandfather of
Harry; Alexander; and Anna Maria, born Aug. 17, 1799,
and died June 6, 1842.

Benjamin Kline was also born in Rehrersburg, and
after the death of his father took charge of the tannery
and general store, the latter of which was closed out
at the time of the death of his brother Alexander who
had been his business partner. Mr. Kline continued the
tannery business until about 1886, when he sold out to
Barnett Brothers, and the remainder of his life was
spent in retirement with his son-in-law, Dr. Daniel Dec-
hert, Schuylkill Haven. Mr. Kline married Catherine
Lutz, daughter of Benjamin Lutz, and to this imion there
were born children as follows : Sarah m. Joel Dewaldt,
who conducted a hardware business in Lebanon county
for many years, and died there in 1893 ; Martha, who died
in 1896, m. Isaac Harner, a hotel keeper of Rehrersburg;
James, who for many years worked in his father's tan-
nery, now resides at Lebanon ; Genevieve m. Dr. Daniel
Dechert, and died in 1882, leaving one daughter; Anna,
who died in 1896 at Pinegrove, Schuylkill county, m.
John Harding, who subsequently removed to Reading;
and Frank S.

Frank S. Kline was reared in Rehrersburg, where he
learned the trade of tanner with his father, and was
employed in the tannery from the age of twelve years
until the 'business was discontinued, when he went to
Myerstown, Lebanon county, and there continued many
years. He is now engaged principally in finishing in
the spring and fall oif each year at East Berkley.

Mr. Kline married Rebecca E. Forry, daughter of Jacob
and Rebecca (Troutman) Forry, and to this union there
were born the following children : Harry ; JNIatilda m.
Paul Furman, of Strausstown, Berks county, and has
one son, Robert, m. Clara Bertram, daughter of Daniel
Bertram, and is engaged in agricultural pursuits in
Rehrersburg; Edward is single; Laura is employed at
the shirt factory; and Marguerite lives at home. Ed-
ward Kline served three years in the Spanish American
war, being a member of Troop B, 14th U. S. Cavalry,
stationed in the Philippines, and the last nine months
of his enlistment were passed in the United States, where
he engaged in racing various cavalries. He won the
U. S. Rescue races from representatives of twenty-one
cavalries, and rode races Cossack style in every "State
west of the Mississippi, losing onlv three races, and
he_ also holds medals for sharpshooting and marksman-
ship for the three years of his enlistment. He ranked
as first sergeant. After receiving his honorable discharge,
Mr. Kline returned to his home, and three months later
enlisted in the State police force at Punxsutawnev, where
he is still in service at the present time. He stands very
high, and he is said to be an expert horseman and very
well liked by everybody.

Harry Kline was educated in the common schools of
his district and the high school at Millersburg. At an
early age he learned butchering at Hazleton. and the
trade of painting, at home, the latter of which he fol-
lowed for some years. At one time he aspired to enter



BIOGRAPHICAL



531



the medical profession, but gave up this idea and took
up boatinsf as an occupation, following it on the Schuyl-
kill, Raritan, Erie, Northern and Delaware canals. He
now conducts a general store at Rehrersburg, where he
is discharging the duties of postmaster.' Mr. Kline is
a member of the Reformed Church, while his wife is a
Lutheran. In politics he is a Republican, and for some
years has been standing committeeman of his township,
and fraternally he is connected with Vigilance Lodge, No.
149, I. O. O. R, at Reading; and Camp No. 597, P. O.
S. of A., at Rehrersburg, of which he is a charter mem-
ber.

In 1897 Mr. Kline married (first) Miss Nettie Stam-
baugh, daughter of Rev. L. D. and Henrietta (Smith)
Stambaugh, and one child, Grace, was born to this un-



Online LibraryMorton L. (Morton Luther) MontgomeryHistorical and biographical annals of Berks County, Pennsylvania, embracing a concise history of the county and a genealogical and biographical record of representative families, comp. by Morton L. Montgomery .. → online text (page 145 of 227)