Morton L. (Morton Luther) Montgomery.

Historical and biographical annals of Berks County, Pennsylvania, embracing a concise history of the county and a genealogical and biographical record of representative families, comp. by Morton L. Montgomery .. online

. (page 149 of 227)
Online LibraryMorton L. (Morton Luther) MontgomeryHistorical and biographical annals of Berks County, Pennsylvania, embracing a concise history of the county and a genealogical and biographical record of representative families, comp. by Morton L. Montgomery .. → online text (page 149 of 227)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

as follows: Jacob, Elizabeth, Moses, George, Daniel, The great-great-great-grandfather of Dr. Bower,

Samuel, David, John and Michael. Moses Bauer, or Bower as the name is now spelled,

Moses Bower, the great-great-grandfather, and his and his wife Catharine and four children — Michael,
wife Catharine and four children, Michael, John, Moses John, Moses and Labright — were the first of this fam-
and Labright, were the first settlers of this family in ily to come to America, and came from Germany,
America. They arrived in Philadelphia, Sept. 10, 1753. landing in Philadelphia, Sept. 10, 1753. Moses Bower
In 1773, he purchased 137i acres of land in Amity died in 1805, and was survived by his wife, one son
township, a large part of which constitutes the present Michael and twenty-nine grandchildren. He was in-
Bower homestead. He died in 1805, and was survived terred in the old graveyard at Amityville.
by his widow, one son Michael and twenty-nine grand- The great-great-grandfather, Moses, was the third son
children. He provided amply for his widow, and to of his father Moses. He was twice married, and was
his son Michael and grandson Jacob, the grandfather the father of nine children: Jacob. Elizabeth, Moses,
of the subject of this sketch, he bequeathed his farm George, Daniel, Samuel. David, ,John and Michael,
to be divided in equal portions subject to certain cash Jacob Bower, the great-grandfather, was born Oct.
payments on the part of said son Michael and grand- 16, 1781, and was the eldest child of Mioses and Bar-
son Jacob, to his grandchildren. He was buried at bara (Frederick) Bower. He was married to Susanna
Amityville in the old burying ground connected with Happel who died Dec. 28, 1854. They had ten chil-
the Lutheran and Reformed Church. dren: Daniel. John. Jacob H.. William, Elizabeth

(m. William Updegrove), Hannah (m. Jacob Moyer),

JOHN LINCOLN BOWER, M. D., was born in Mary Ann (m. Benjamin Rhoads), Catharine (m. Da-
Amity township, Berks county, on the Bower home- vid Scheetz), and Susanna and Samuel died in early
stead, July 13, 1865. The Bower homestead is nart life.

of a five hundred-acre tract of land purchased by Otto Daniel Bower, his grandfather, was born Oct. 17,

Earnest Koch from the commissioners of William 1807, in Amity township, and died March 30, 1894.

Penn, by patent bearing the date of June IL 1705. He married Elizabeth Matilda Lewis, of Robeson town-

This property was given and granted by said Otto ship, who died Jan. 13, 1868, aged fifty-seven years.

Earnest Koch to his son Zacharias (who signed his name They are buried in St. John's Church Yard, in Robe-

Zacharias Cock) by a grant dated the "Thirteenth day of son township. There were seven children born to

Aprill in the Fourth year of the Reign of our Sovorain them as follows: Catharine, deceased, m. to John

Lord King George, Anno Dom. 1718" and remained W. Hartranft; Jacob L. ; Samuel L., deceased; Justina.

in his possession until March 10, 1723, when it was living in Birdsboro; Lewis A., of Wilmine-ton, Del.;

acquired by John Waren, who dying without issue, Susan M.. widow of William R. Potts, Birdsboro.

April 24, 1734, bequeathed 150 acres of said property Pa.; and John N., Birdsboro, Pennsylvania,

to his brother Jacob Waren. On March 10, 1764, 113 Jacob L. Bower, father of Dr. Bower, was born

acres of this tract of land were sold by Jacob Waren Nov. 23, 1834, in Robeson township. He resides on

and his wife Ann to their son Thomas (who signed the old homestead. Mr. Bower for many years con-

his name Warren). Thomas Waren or Warren was ducted the farm and sawmill with unusual success, but

possessed of additional property, for the records show for some years he has lived retired. Some years ago,

that April 13, 1772, he and his wife Eva sold 137j acres Mr. Bower served his township as school director,

of land to Moses Bauer (since Anglicized to Bower) He is a solid, substantial and progressive man, and

the great-great-great-grandfather of Dr. Bower, for a has always endeavored to live up to his high ideals

consideration of £480 7s. 6d. of good citizenship. On November 4, 1860. he married

Moses Bower was not the first of his family to Sarah Babb, daughter of the late John and Mary

hold property in this section, for on June 37. 1763, Ja- (DeHart) Babb, of Alsace township. They had these

cob Waren sold to Michael Bower, eldest son of children, and all survive: Dr. Elmer E., a dentist of

Moses Bower, thirty acres of land, but May 7, 1767, Camden. N. J.; Emma; Dr. John L. and Miary S.

this was purchased by Eleanor Lotz. Moses Bower Dr. Bower attended the public schools of his dis-

died in 1805, and in a will dated March 14th, of the trict and this was supplemented by several terms at

same year, he bequeathed his "plantation" in equal the Amityville Seminary, following which he taught his

shares to his only surviving son Michael and his grand- home school. Leopard No. 4. for one term. He was

son Jacob, son of Moses Bower, and great-grand- graduated from the Jefiferson Medical College in 1888

father of Dr. Bower— Michael to have the lower half and became a resident physician at the Philadelphia

and the grandson Jacob to have the remaining portion Hospital, and remained there for a little more than fif-

of the "plantation." By reason of these bequests cer- teen months. After this he entered the service of

tain cash payments were required to be made by said the Pennsylvania Railroad Co. and is one of its oldest

Michael and Jacob to the widow and grandchildren medical examiners, having been located in Reading

of Moses Bower. since Oct. 15, 1892.

Upon the death of Michael Bower in 1823 the prop- Dr. Bower is a member of the Berkshire Country
.^.[.*?f,R^T!lll *° ,'IJ°".J.^f°:^Z!^°„.'!!llTlJPu°^^ Club, ,tlie .Wyomissing_ Club, the Union League of

y. the
I,' The
aer of

•, \t , ,„ „.,„ L — -^ .-.-... - ^-.. - .—„.. v^iuu, tne vvyomissing i_iuD, tne Union League ui

until March 13 1839, when it was purchased by Daniel Philadelphia, and the Pennsylvania German Society,
idfather^ of Dr.^ ^o^^^L] u".!..*?'^ .f"'°'''r Professionally he js a member of the Reading Medical


owner and the father of the subject of this biograph- the Medical Staff of the Reading Hospital,
ical sketch. The farm now consists of 104 acres, com- ° '■^

posed largely of the portion bequeathed by Moses GOETZ. Among the leading business enterprises of

Bower to his son Michael, and lies nn both sides of Reading, Pa., is that of Ferdinand Goetz Sons Company,

what was formerly known as the Reading and Perki- with main offices at No. 26 Spruce street. New York City!

omen Pike, the main highway from Reading to Phila- The business now conducted by tlijs firm was first es-

delphia, and is intersected by the Monocacy creek. A tablished in Reading in 1869, by Winters & Blotz Mr

landmark of the place is a sawmill more than a century Ferdinand Goetz. who was admitted to the firm upon Mr



Blotz's retirement, was born in Germany in 1850, and
emigrated to America in 1868, first settling in Maryland,
and finding employment as a farm laborer. In 1870 he
came to Reading, here finding employment as a laborer
in the building trade. He then secured a position as re-
porter on the German Daily Post, owned and published
by Mr. William Rosenthal, but finally he became ac-
quainted with the firm of Winters & Blotz. Upon Mr.
Blotz's retirement, Mr. Winters offered Mr. Goetz an
equal interest in the business, which the latter subse-
quently accepted. From the start the business prospered,
and from a poor farm laborer Ferdinand Goetz became
one of Reading's best-known business men. At the time
he joined the firm they were operating their tannery at
the foot of Jefferson street, but in 1882 it was removed
to its present quarters, formerly occupied by the Fink
Planing Mill Company. Here the business was conduct-
ed under the style of Winters & Goetz until 1904, when
Mr. Gpetz died, the business being reorganized into a
stock company under the style of The Ferdinand Goetz
Sons Company, with the following, officers; Fred W.
Goetz, president; W. C. Billman, secretary and treasurer;
and Karl Goetz, George Rumer and Charles E. Miller,
as members of the corporation. This company manufac-
tures the white and fancy colored alum tanned lamb,
sheep, calf skins and hides for suspender, shoe and belt
work, and white and fancy colored slipper calf as special-
ties, their straight line bearing a world-wide reputation.
Each member of the firm is an expert in the business,
and takes an active part in conducting one of the several

Fred W. Goetz, president of the firm, was born
in the city of Reading, in 1877, received his education
in the common schools and also took a course in a busi-
ness college in Brooklyn, N. Y. While still a boy he worked
in the tannery of his father, learning all the details of
the business. He married in 1899 Miss Elizabeth B.
Potteiger, of Stouchsburg, Pa., and to this union have
been born two daughters, Ruth and Grace. The family
are Lutherans in their religious belief.

LEVI S. STAMM, a resident of West Reading, has
been engaged at the carpenter's trade since 1867, and is
one of the thrifty, intelligent citizens of the borough. He
has been a lifelong resident of Berks county, having been
born Aug. 21, 1848, in Penn township, where his ancestors
have lived for over a century.

The name Stamm or Stam is found frequently among
the lists of emigrants to America. On the passenger list
of the "Hope," Daniel Reed, master, from Rotterdam,
qualified Sept. 23, 1734, is the name of Peter Stam, aged
twenty; on the "Samuel," Hugh Percy, captain, from
Rotterdam, qualified Dec. 3, 1740, that of Adam Stam,
aged twenty-five; on the "Francis and Elizabeth," George
North, master, from- Rotterdam, qualified Sept. 21, 1742,
those of Johann Adam Stam and Werner Stam; on the
"Snow Charlotte," John Mason, master, from Rotterdam,
Sept. 5, 1743, Johann Jacob Stam ; on the "Phoenix," Wil-
liam Wilson, commander, from Rotterdam, Sept. 30, 1743,
Johannes Stamm; and on the "Union," Andrew Bryson,
captain, from Rotterdam, Sept. 30, 1774, Adam Stam.

The Stamm family is one of the oldest in Berks county.
(I) Werner (or Peter*) and Johann Adam Stam (or
Stamm), brothers, were natives of Switzerland, and emi-
grated to the New World on the ship "Francis and Eliza-
beth," George North, commander, from Rotterdam. It
qualified at Philadelphia Sept. 21, 1742, and of the 141
male emigrants who had taken passage many settled in
Berks county, their descendants being still found in
goodly numbers in the districts where they located.
Where Johann Adam Stam settled, or what became of him,

* The name Peter is said to have been "Werner Stam. There
is a "Werner Stam buried at the Bern Church. The Pennsylvania
Archives record the name as Peter, but this is reputed to be an
error, the tax-iists, church records, etc., all bearing: evidence to
the contrary. However, it is reasonable to suppose that Werner
Stamm was under age when the two mentioned in the Archives
arrived, and that for that reason his name does not appear.
The date of their landing agrees with the date tradition and old
members of the family have of Werner's coming to America.

we do not know. The other brother, Werner, was the
ancestor of the Stamms of Berks county. He was born
Nov. 13, 1736, in Bern, Switzerland, and died May 16,
1795. He settled in what is now Bern township, in 1763,
obtaining a large tract of land in the vicinity of Mount
Pleasant, in this county, where he lived and died. He and
his wife are buried at the old Bern Church. He married
May, 26, 1748, Catharine, born in 1728, died Nov. 4, 1812.
Among his children were two sons named Nicholas and
Frederick, the latter the next in the line of descent we
are tracing.

(II) Frederick Stamm, son of Werner, the emigrant
ancestor, had the following children: John; Frederick;
Jacob; Catharine married Abraham Good; Mary m. Dr.
Schwartz; Maria Magdalena m. Peter Bright (1793-1877).

(HI) John Stamm, son of Frederick, had these children:
Benjamin; John; Levi; Henry; William; Lydia m. George
Staudt; Maria m. Jonathan Eberling; Catharine m. John

Billman; Julian m. Joseph Greth; Cassia m. Bohn;

Eliza died unmarried.

(III) Frederick Stamm, son of Frederick, and grand-
father of Levi S., was born June 20, 1790, in Penn town-
ship, and died Oct. 3, 1860. He married Susanna Gerhart,
born Dec. 22, 1792, died Sept. 8, 1876, and he and his wife
are both interred at the Bern Church. Their children
were: Emanuel; Isaac; William; Adam; Jacob; Elias;
Levi; Serena m. Nathan Billman; Catharine m. Adam
Moyer; Harriet m. William Hetrich; Mary m. Jonathan
Spangler. Frederick Stamm, the father of this family,
was a farmer by occupation. He was a prominent man
in his day, serving as county commissioner from 1822
to 1825.

(III) Jacob Stamm, son of Frederick, lived at Orwigs-
burg, Schuylkill Co., Pa., and his family consisted of tiyo
children, Israel and Mary. The latter married a Walborn,
of Millersburg, Pa., 'and later they lived at Orwigsburg.

(IV) William Stamm, son of Frederick and father of
Levi S., was born in Penn township Oct. 23, 1815, his
birthplace being near Stamm's Hotel, which is now known
as the Pleasant Valley Hotel. In early manhood he
learned shoemaking, but he did not follow the trade for
long, farming- being the principal business of his life. For
a period of sixteen years he was engaged in farming in
Jefferson township, this county, whence he moved to Penn
township, continuing to carry on agricultural pursuits
there until his retirement, in the year 1885.- He now re-
sides with his daughter, Mrs. Fietta Shade. Though over
ninety-three years old he enjoys comparatively good health,
and he is a man of genial disposition and pleasant man-
ners, highly honored and universally liked in his commu-
nity. His upright life has won him the good-will and
respect of the many who have known him, and he is
accorded the utmost consideration wherever he goes — not
only the veneration due to his 'years but the recognition
of a life well spent.

Mr. Stamm m. Magdalena Schneider, daughter of Wil-
liam Schneider, whose wife was a Rothenberger. To them
were born children as follows : Cassia m. Daniel F. Kline,
of Strausstown, Pa., and lives in Upper Tulpehocken town-
ship; William was a member of Company G, 151st P. V.
I., and was killed at the battle of Gettysburg; Adam S., a
miller, is living in Penn township, near Mt. Pleasant; Al-
bert was a miller at Centreport, this county, throughout his
active years, retired in 1906, and now makes his home at
Shoemakersville; John is a farmer of Jefferson township;
Levi S. is a resident of West Reading; Fietta m. Jacob
Shade and resides in Penn township; Franklin, now living
retired at Bernville, was a farmer all his active life; Re-
becca m. William Lengel and resides in Penn township;
Allison A., M. D., is engaged in the practice of medicine
at Mohnton, Pa.; James, a farmer of Penn township, m.
Clara Wenrich. The mother of this family died Sept. 12,
1885, at the age of sixty-six years, and her remains rest
in the Bernville cemetery.

William Stamm has always been active in the religious
life of his community and a' zealous worker for churches



and church enterprises. He is a member of the Reformed
denomination, has filled the offices of deacon and elder in
his church, and had the honor of taking out the first
spadeful of earth removed when the construction of the
St. Thomas Union church was commenced, in 1904. In
political opinion he is a Democrat, and he took a public-
spirited interest in the administration of local affairs, serv-
ing as supervisor and school director of Penn township.
During his early manhood he belonged to the State militia.

(V) Levi S. Stamm attended the schools of Jefferson
township during his boyhood and youth, meantime assist-
ing with the farm work at home until ready to commence
carpentering. He learned his trade in Tulpehocken town-
ship. During the years 1885 and 1886 Mr. Stamm was
in Carbon county. Pa., and thence removed to Columbia
county, this State, where he lived for about eight years.
In 1896 he returned to Berks county, remaining in Read-
ing until his removal to West Reading in 1899. Mr. Stamm
has found steady employment at his trade in his present
location, being in the employ of a contractor, and bears a
reputation for skill and reliability which brings him all
the work he can attend to. His character is above re-
proach, and he receives the respect which he deserves.

In 1870 Mr. Stamm m. Matilda R. Blatt, daughter of
Joseph and Catherine (Reigle) Blatt, and to this union
have been born the following named children : Robert died
in infancy; Rev. James C. is pastor of St. Paul's Reformed
Church at Pottstown, Pa. ; Maggie and Clara died in in-
fancy; Ida has been teaching in West Berwick, Columbia
Co., Pa., since 1904; T. Wilhelm is at present a student at
Ursinus College; Laura M. has taught school in West
Reading since 1902; Gertrude died young; Charles L. is a
pupil at the West Reading high school. The family are all
identified with the Reformed Church, in which Mr. Stamm
was formerly quite active, having served as deacon during
his residence in Bernville. tie is a Democrat on political

(VI) Rev. James Calvin Stamm, son of Levi S. Stamm.
was born in Bernville in 1876, and was nine years old
when the family removed to Birdsboro. Later they moved
to Bloomsburg, where he was confirmed in Trinity Re-'
formed Church and graduated from high school with cred-
itable standing. When the family moved to Reading he
learned the locksmith's trade at the Penn Hardware
Works. But it was his ambition to secure a higher edu-
cation and engage in professional work, and he accordingly
entered the Keystone State Normal School, at Kutztown,
\''here he was given a teacher's certificate at the end of a
year's study. He immediately obtained the position of in-
structor at the Butler Orphans' Home, near Pittsburg,
where he was principal of the school-room for one year,
resigning to become a traveling salesman, in which line he
was also successful. He covered the entire South, selling
stereoscopes and similar goods, but after almost a year
at that work he decided to take up chemistry. However,
he changed his mind before he had taken any serious
steps in that direction, determining that he would devote
his life to the ministry. Entering the Ursinus School of
Theology, at Philadelphia, he took the three years' course
graduating May 3, 1906. The same year he was made a
licentiate by the Reading Reformed Classis. Meantime
he had gained experience in the practical duties of a mini-
ster of the gospel by serving St. Paul's Church, at Potts-
town, as supply, and upon his graduation he was called to
become the regular pastor of that congregation. He ac-
cepted, vi-as ordained and installed May 27, 1906, and has
since been in charge of that pastorate. He gave early evi-
dence that he possessed the requisites of a forceful preach-
er, and his energy has found many useful outlets in the
field in which he is located.

Rev. Mr. Stamm m. in the fall of 1906 Miss Pauline
Herbrecht, of Doylestown, Pa., formerly of Philadelphia.

(V) Adam S. Stamm, son of William, was born May
22, 1841, in Penn township, and since he was twenty-one
years old has conducted the old Stamm mill in Penn town-
ship. He has followed farming and milling all his life, and
has been very successful in material matters, being a man
of thrift and intelligence, energetic and honorable. His
business has naturally brought him into contact with most

of the residents of his section, and he is held in high
esteem by all who know him, being regarded as a straight-
forward business man and an excellent citizen. Like the
members of the Stamm family generally he belongs tothe
Reformed denomination, being a member of Christ's Little
Tulpehocken Church.

Mr. Stamm m. Anna E. Kalbach, who was born Feb.
17, 1841, daughter of Joseph and Anna Elizabeth (Stump)
Kalbach, and this marriage has been blessed with nine
children: Morris K., Francis and Martha (twins), Isabella
R., Ella K. and a son that died in infancy, Edwm A.,
William J., and Maggie K.

(VI) William J. Stamm, son of Adam S., was born
July 5, 1873, in Jefferson township. He received his edu-
cation at the schools of Penn and Upper Tulpehocken
townships, attending until he was fourteen years old, since
which time he has been engaged at the carpenter's trade,
with the exception of three years he worked for his father.
He served his apprenticeship with John Meyer, of Bern-
ville, in whose employ he remained for a year and a half
as apprentice, until he went to Reading. There he was
employed by George F. Foos, contractor and builder, and
in 1901 he removed to the borough of West Reading,
where he has since lived and labored. For three years
Mr. Stamm worked for his father at milling. During his
residence in West Reading he has built up a large local
patronage in his line, particularly in the execution of fine
cabinet work, in which he is especially skillful. There
are few mechanics as proficient as Mr. Stamm. He de-
lights in intricate and difficult work, the kind that requires
artistic ability and patience as well as expert workmanship,
and several specimens of his art are worthy of mention.
In 1904 he finished a chest 17 by 8i inches, and 10| inches
deep, which contains 2,384 pieces of wood of seven differ-
ent varieties ; the smallest pieces are diamond shaped, and
measure %g by 9io inches. Mr. Stamm has also made
puzzles of various kinds. Pie is a master hand at any
kind of wood-working. He enjoys the highest standing in
his line, and is a prominent member of the Carpenters'

Upon his removal to West Reading Mr. Stamm pur-
chased the brick residence at No. 113 Obold street where
he and his family have since resided. He m. in 1S93 Emma
E. Bohn, born Nov. 12, 1870, died Nov. 14, 1900, the
mother of five children, viz. : Bertha M., Elsie E., Simon
S., William J. and Elizabeth E., of whom Bertha is the
only survivor. The others died in childhood, and are laid
to rest in the cemetery of Christ's Little Tulpehocken
Church, where their mother is also interred.

In 1901 Mr. Stamm m. (second) Lillie M. Webber, born
Oct. 8. 1876, daughter of Davilla and Caroline (Strause)
Webber, the former of whom is now deceased. One child
has been born to this tinion, Caroline M. Mr. Stamm and
his family are members of St. James Reformed Church,
in which he at present holds the office of deacon. He is
an active worker for the welfare of the church, and has
aided faithfully in its upbuilding. In politics he is a
member of the Republican party.

CORNELIUS S. STAMM at the time of his death
was a well-known resident of Reading. He was born in
Bern township, Berks county, March 21, 1828, son of
Benjamin and Sarah (Seaman) Stamm.

(I) Werner Stamm, his earliest ancestor in this country,
is mentioned above.

(II) Nicholas Stamm, son of Werner, born April 22,
1752, died Oct. 6, 1828. He m. Catharine Lerch, born
April 21, 1754, died May 16, 1844. Like his parents, they
are buried at the Bern church. Among their children
were: Johann Adam, Frederick. Peter, John, Mrs. Benja-
Imin Graeff, Philip, William, Catharine (m. Peter Rein-
hart) and Benjamin. Some of this family moved to
Lycoming, Snyder and Northumberland counties, Penn-

(III) Benjamin Stamm, youngest son of Nicholas, was
born Feb. 21, 1795. He became interested in the stone-
mason's trade early in life, and followed it throughout
his active career. For several years prior to his death.



on Dec. 20, 1873, he lived retired. Mr. Stamm was twice
married. By his first wife, whose maiden name was Sea-
man, he had four children: (1) William S., chief engineer
in the United States navy, was on the retired list at the
time of his death, June 27, 1897; he married Emily Pax-
ton, and had four children, of whom Norman, a resident
of Philadelphia, survives. (2) Cornelius S. (3) Mary A.
became the wife of James P. Walter, of St. Louis, Mo.
(4) Elmira married Samuel Fulton. Benjamin Stamm
married (second) a widow, Mrs. Heacock (born Oct.
13, 1814, died April 11, 1897), and three children were
born of this marriage, namely: Franklin, Jane (deceased)
and Wellington. The family were at one time members of
the Reformed Church but later became Universalists. Mr.

Online LibraryMorton L. (Morton Luther) MontgomeryHistorical and biographical annals of Berks County, Pennsylvania, embracing a concise history of the county and a genealogical and biographical record of representative families, comp. by Morton L. Montgomery .. → online text (page 149 of 227)