Morton L. (Morton Luther) Montgomery.

Historical and biographical annals of Berks County, Pennsylvania, embracing a concise history of the county and a genealogical and biographical record of representative families, comp. by Morton L. Montgomery .. online

. (page 150 of 227)
Online LibraryMorton L. (Morton Luther) MontgomeryHistorical and biographical annals of Berks County, Pennsylvania, embracing a concise history of the county and a genealogical and biographical record of representative families, comp. by Morton L. Montgomery .. → online text (page 150 of 227)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


Stamm was a Whig in politics, but on the organization
of the Republican party cast his vote in its support.

(IV) Cornelius S. Stamm was educated in the schools
of Reading. He learned the brick-layer's trade, and fol-
lowed it for many years, later, however, engaging in
contrasting, a business he followed for many years. Mr.
Stamm was prominently connected with the Masons, be-
longing to Chandler Lodge, No. 227, F. & A. M. ; Reading
Chapter, No. 152, R. A. M.; and DeMolay Commandery,
No. 9, K. T. For many years he also belonged to the
I. O. O. F. In his political views he was a stanch Re-
publican, and for several years he was a member of the
city council. He died Feb. 21, 1902, sincerely regretted,
the people realizing the city had lost an able business
man and public spirited and valuable citizen.

On Feb. 13, 1870, in Reading, Mr. Stamm was married,
by the Rev. Aaron Leinbach, to Emma M. Rick, daughter
of John and Elizabeth (Fisher) Rick; her father born
Feb. 28, 1799, died Jan. 29, 1839. To this union were born :
William W. B.; and Emily E., born 1876, a teacher in
the public schools and an accomplished musician, who
died Aug. 24, 1897.

William W. B. Stamm, son of Cornelius S. and
Emma M. (Rick) Stamm, was born in Reading April 9,
1874. He attended the public schools and graduated from
the high school in 1892. He then took a course in me-
chanical drawing at Franklin Institute, in Philadelphia,
and completed it in 1894. From 1895 to 1897 he studied ap-
plied electricity at Drexel Institute, and he is now a thor-
oughly equipped and practical mechanical draughtsman
and machinist with the E. & G. Brooke Co. at Birds-
boro, Pennsylvania.

Mr. Stamm is very prominent fraternally. He belongs
to Chandler Lodge, No. 227, F. & A. M., which he joined
in 1901, and he w^as Worshipful Master in 1908, when
the lodge celebrated its sixtieth anniversary; he rgp-
sented it at the Grand .Lodge in 1909. He is a, member
of Williamsport Lodge of Perfection, fourteenth degree,
and Williamsport Consistory, thirty-second degree, serv-
ing as a member of the choir. Among other Masonic
bodies to which he belongs are Excelsior Chapter, No.
237, R. A. M. ; Reading Commandery, No. 42, K. T., and
Rajah Temple, A. A. O. N. M. S. Mr. Stamm resides
with his mother at No. 316 Washington street, Reading.

HON. WILLIAM KERPER STEVENS, Additional
Law Judge of Berks county, was born at Reading in
1861. He attended the public schools for several years
and after taking a special preparatory course under a
private tutor, entered Yale College where he pursued
the regular course and was graduated in 1883. Choos-
ing the law as his profession, he entered the office of
Isaac Hiester, Esq., of Reading, and pursuing the reg-
ular course of reading under Mr. Hiester's direction,
was admitted to the Bar Nov. 10, 1884. He immiediately
engaged in active practice in the office of his precep-
tor and after carrying it on several years in a success-
ful manner formed a law co-partnership with Garrett
B. Stevens, Esq. (an older attorney, but no relative),
and they continued to practise together with increasing
success until Sept. 10, 1908, when he received the ap-
pointment of additional law judge to fill the vacancy
caused by the promotion of Hon. G. A. Endlich to



the office of president judge; then the co-partnership
was dissolved and he has been performing the duties
of additional law judge until the present time in a most
satisfactory manner. The term for which he was ap-
pointed by the Governor terminates on the first Mon-
day in January, 1910. At the primary election of the
county in June, 1909, his name was placed on the Re-
publican ticket for the office of judge and he was nom-
inated without any opposition, which evidences the
superior manner in which he performed his judicial
duties.

Immediately after being admitted to the Bar, Judge
Stevens identified himself with the Republican party
and took much interest in the management of its affairs.
In appreciation of his services and ability he was se-
lected as school solicitor for the years 1892, 1893 and
1894, and as city solicitor in 1895. In 1901 he was the
nominee on the Republican ticket for Congress from
this District. He served as chairman of the county
committee for some years and also as a mtember of the
State central committee. He assisted in organizing the
Reading National Bank in 1893, the Berks County
Trust Company in 1900, and the American Casualty
Company in 1903, and served as a director until he be-
camle additional law judge, when he resigned. He co-
operated earnestly with other gentlemen of Reading in
the establishment of the Wyomissing Club, and the
Berkshire Club, and has since taken much interest in
their affairs. He is a member of the University Club
of Philadelphia, and of the Yale Club of New York.

In 1887 Judge Stevens was married to Mary Depuy
Davis, daughter of Col. Depuy Davis, and they have a
son Frederick William.

His father was Dr. Sadosa S. Stevens, a prominent
and successful druggist at Reading for fifty years. He
was born in Cumberland county in 1825, and there ob-
tained his education in the subscription schools until
he was fifteen years old, when he went to Carlisle and,
entering a drug store, became a druggist. He was then
engaged for several years until 1849 in a drug store
at Philadelphia when he located in Reading and em-
barked in the drug business, which he carried on in
a successful manner until his decease in 1900. In the
organization of the board of health, he was selected as
one of the members and served on the board from 1874
to 1882. He also took much interest in the Reading
free library, and the Historical Society of Berks County.
In 1852 he was married to Eleanora B. Kerper, daugh-
ter of Abraham Kerper and Elizabeth Boyer, his wife,
of Reading, and they had four children: Frank and
Emily (died young); William Kerper; and Bessie Ker-
per (m. Rev. William P. Taylor, an Episcopalian cler-
gyman at Morristown, New Jersey).

The first ancestor of Judge Stevens in America was
Thomas Stephens, a native of Leicestershire, England,
who emigrated from^ that place to Philadelphia . in
June, 1777. Two months after his arrival (Aug. 3, 1777),
was born his son George, who became a prominent
woolen manufacturer of Cumberland county, where he
lived until he died at the age of ninety years. He was
enlisted in the English War of 1812-15. In 1797, he was
married to Margaret Clendenin, and they had two sons:
John C. and Thomas Jefferson.

Thomas Jefferson Stevens, grandfather of Judge Stev-
ens, was born in Cumiberland county in 1800, and after
becoming of age succeeded his father in the woolen
business which he carried on for a number of years.
He was a man of unusual literary culture, and displayed
great fondness for music and painting. He became an
intimate friend of the famous scientist and superin-
tendent of the Smithsonian Institute at Washington,
D. C, Spencer Baird, and through his association with
Mr. Baird accumulated a large and interesting collec-
tion of curios. He died in 1884 leaving to survive him
his eldest son, Dr. Stevens, who died April 17, 1900.



544



HISTORY OF BERKS COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



PHILIP S. ZIEBER, a prominent member of the
Berks County Bar, bears a name familiar in the city of
Reading, and, indeed, throughout eastern Pennsylvania,
his father and grandfather before him having been
identified vs^ith the manufacturing interests of the city
as makers of wool hats. His grandfather Philip Zieber
■was the pioneer in this industry in Berks county, while
Samuel Zieber, father of Philip S., continued the busi-
ness in New Holland, Lancaster county, though he
maintained his residence in Reading. Samuel Zieber
was born in that city in 1794, and died in 1868. He mar-
ried Matilda Schmeltzer, daughter of Andrew, a farmer
of Bethel township, Berks county, and to them were
born three children, of whom Catherine and Emma still
reside at home, while Philip S. is the third.

Philip S. Zieber was born June 30, 1861, in Reading,
and was carefully schooled in his native city, graduating
from the Reading high school in 1876, as valedictorian
of his class. In 1879 he was sent to Lafayette College,
at Easton, entering the junior class, where he grad-
uated in June, 1881. Returning to Reading he began
reading law in the office of George F. Baer, then one
of the leading attorneys of the city, but now president
of the Philadelphia & Reading Railway Company, and
in November, 1884, successfully took the examination
for admission to the Bar. Mr. Zieber won his spurs
alone, and had established himself firmly when, in 1889,
he was asked to become a member of the firm of his
former preceptor, then Baer & Snyder. His acceptance
changed the firm name to Baer, Snyder & Zieber, and
it remained so until Mt. Baer's election to the presi-
dency of the railway company caused his retirement,
when it became Snyder & Zieber. The firm has always
enjoyed a large and select practice, serving such im-
portant concerns as the Philadelphia & Reading Rail-
road, the Philadelphia & Reading Coal & Iron Com-
pany, the Reading Iron Company, the Farmers Na-
tional Bank, Penn National Bank, and numerous smaller
private corporations. It will be seen at a glance that
Mr. Zieber bids fair to establish himself in the front
rank of his chosen profession.

On Nov. 26, 1889, Mr. Zieber married Miss Annie
Gillespie Fry, daughter of Rev. Jacob Fry, D. D., for
thirty-five years the beloved and able pastor of Trinity
Lutheran Church of Reading, and now occupying the
chair of Homiletics and Sacred History at the Luth-
eran Theological Seminary at Mt. Airy. Two children
came to brighten the Zieber home, one of whom, Anna,
the younger daughter, passed away July 15, 1904, at the
age of twelve years. Catherine Fry Zieber, the surviv-
ing daughter, is a student at Smith College, Northamp-
ton, Massachusetts.

In his private life Mr. Zieber is most exemplary,
taking a lively interest in the welfare of the com-
munity. He holds membership in the Odd Fellows, is
a director in the Penn National Bank and also of the
Berkshire Country Club and votes with the Democratic
party. In the religious life of the city he is equally
helpful and prominent, being a vestryman of the Trin-
ity Lutheran Church, and is identified with its national
organization as a member of the Foreign Mission
Board of the General Council of the Lutheran Church
in North America, of which board he was treasurer for
a number of years.

CYRUS RICK, who died at his home in Reading, Pa.,
in 1895, was one of that city's leading business men, and
was for many years well known in the manufacturing cir-
cles of Berks county as a member of the foimdry firm of
Rick Brothers. Mr. Rick was born Sept. 3, 1837, in Bern
township, Berks county, son of Charles and Ellen Louisa
(Ruth) Rick,

Herman Rick, the great-grandfather of Cyrus, came
to this country with his parents in the early part of the
eighteenth century, when about twelve years old, and
received his education in the pay schools of Bern town-
ship, after leaving which he engaged in farming, an occu-
pation which he carried on throughout life.



John George Rick, son of Herman, was also a farmer,
and he became a large landowner and. influential citizen
of Bern township, where all of his life was spent. He
and his wife, Catherine Weiser (a grand-niece of Conrad
Weiser), were members of the German Reformed Church,
and in political matters he was a stanch Whig.

Charles Rick, son of John George and father of Cyrus,
received his education in the early schools of his native
township, after leaving which he engaged in a general
merchandise business at Centreport and Peacock's Locks.
In 1841 he came to Reading, where he was engaged in
mercantile business and in real estate operations for a
number of years and where he lived retired the remainder
of his life. He died in 1878, and his wife, whose maiden
name was Ellen Louise Ruth, in 1880, both in the faith
of the German Reformed Church. They were the parents
of children as follows : (1) Cyrus. (2) John, who died
in 1900, was a member of the firm of Rick Brothers. He
married Emma Ammon. (3) Charles, a retired citizen
of Reading and veteran of the Civil war, was also a
member of the firm. He m. Emma Paul. (4) Mary m.
Franklin Dundore, of Philadelphia, and had three children,
Charles, Frank and Ella. (5) James is mentioned below.
(6) Ellen m. William A. Arnold, deceased, and had six
children, William, John, Franklin, Anna, Ellen and Mary.

Cyrus Rick was educated in the schools of his native
place, and at an early age he entered the Farmers' National
Bank, of which he later became cashier, becoming widely
known in financial circles. On the establishment of the
firm of Rick Brothers he was made a member in 1873,
and he continued as such until his death, in 1895, in the
faith of the Reformed Church.

In 1868 Cyrus Rick m. Emma R. Madeira, daughter of
William S. and Rebecca (Shepp) Madeira, and five chil-
dren were born to this union, four of whom are living;
Ella (m. S. K. Spang, and has two children, Emily and
Mary), Anna, Mary and Charles.

James Rick, son of Charles and brother of Cyrus, and
a prominent business man of Reading, Pa., being at the
head of the Rick Knitting Company, was born in Reading
in 1844. He was educated in the local schools and served
his apprenticeship with one of the large carpenter firms.
Later he engaged in pattern-making, and also clerked for
the West Reading Iron Company in 1866. In 1867, with
his brother John and Franklin Dundore, he engaged in
the hardware business under the firm name of Dundore,
Rick & Co., their plant being at Third and Buttonwood
streets. In 1869 Mr. Dundore withdrew from the firm
and sold his interest to Charles Rick, and then the firm
changed to Rick Brothers, but the last named did not take
an active part. In 1873 one-fourth of the interest was
sold to Cyrus Rick, also a brother, as it was the father's
wish to have his four sons together in business, but Cyrus
never took an active part in the management. In 1904
this property was sold to the Keystone Hardware Com-
pany, and leased to the Consolidated Hardware Company.
In 1905 Mr. James Rick organized the Rick Knitting Com-
pany, and has associated his sons with him in the business.
The firm was incorporated in 1906, and has one of the
successful industries of the city. The officers are: James
Rick, president; Edward Rick, vice-president; James Rick,
Jr., secretary and treasurer; and Albert Rick, a member
of the board of directors.

Mr. Rick has been twice married. His first wife, Ellen
Trate, died in 1881. In 1883 he m. (second) Julia G.
O'Hara, and they have had six children, namely: Helen
(deceased), James, Jr., Edward, Albert, Julia and Har-
rison. Mr. Rick and family are members of Calvary Re-
formed Church, in which he is a deacon. He has always
taken an active part in civic affairs, and from 1888 to
1892 served as a member of Ihe board of water commis-
sioners. He is a member of several business and social
clubs of Reading, including the Wyomissing, Berkshire
and Maiden Creek Fishing Clubs (of which latter he
was one of the organizers and has been president).



BIOGRAPHICAL



545



CHARLES L. MOLL, who was the competent and
faithful city comptroller of Reading, Pa., is descended
from German ancestry, who came to America several
generations ago, his grandfather, George Moll, having
been born in this country.

Alfred Moll, father of Charles L., was born in Maid-
en-creek township, Berks county, raised at Strauss-
town, same county, followed milling, and later engaged
in farming. He married Emma E. Boltz, daughter of
Isaac M. Boltz. He served with the famous 151st P.
V. I., and was slightly wounded at Gettysburg. Two
sons were born to Mr. Moll: Lehman, who has charge
of the stock of the Hooven Mercantile Company, whole-
sale grocers; and Charles L.

Charles L. Moll was born at Strausstown, Berks
county, April 3, 1866, and was educated at the Bernville
high school and at the Eastman Business College,
Poughkeepsie, N. Y., from which latter institution he
was graduated in 1884. He taught school for six years
in Berks county, and later engaged in the grocery busi-
ness, continuing therein in Reading for eleven years.
In 1899 he was elected city comptroller for a term of
three years, and was re-elected in February, 1902, his
second term being readily and heartily accorded him
for the capable manner in which he had discharged the
responsible duties of the office. He was again re-
elected in 1905 for another term of three years, and
continued in office to the end of his term, when in 1908
he became the secretary and treasurer of the Mt. Laurel
Slag Company, which position he still holds.

Mr. Moll was married Dec. 4, 1886, to Catherine
Obold, the daughter of Elias Obold, a retired merchant
and justice of the peace of Mount Pleasant, Berks
county. Six children were born to this union: Alfred,
with the Mt. Laurel Spring Water Company; Abner,
with the City Laundry Company; Lloyd, a graduate
of the Reading high school, 1909, now assistant ship-
per for the Barbey Brewing Company; Herbert, with
Orr & Sembower, learning the machinist's trade; and
Florence and Russell, at school. Mr. Moll belongs to
the Order of Elks as well as a number of other secret
organizations. Politically he is a Derrtocrat, but he is
very popular with men of all parties. He is a member
of St. Stephen's Reformed Church.

ADAM M. ROLLMAN, formerly postmaster at
Shillington. and now living retired, was born in Cumru
township, Berks County, Oct. 7, 1841, son of Henry and
Elizabeth S. (Matz) Rollman.

The family has long been resident in Cumru town-
ship. William Rollman, grandfather of Adam M., was
a farmer and landowner in that section, and his farm
descended to his son Henry. He married a Miss Eliza-
beth Spohn. and they had five children, viz.: Joshua,
a farmer and butcher near the "Five Mile House"
m. to Miss Amelia Mengel; Henry; William and Sallie,
who both died unmarried; and Molly, m. to William
Matz, of Reading.

Henry Rollman, born Jan. 21, 1819, was a farmer for
the better part of his life. Until 1851 he operated his
father's farm of ninety-six acres near Sinking Spring,
but in that year he sold the place and bought instead
the Schwartz farm, of 300 acres, on Mt. Penn. There
he remained till 1873 when he sold this second farm
also, and moving to Reading, opened a shoe store. He
conducted this a number of years, but finally retired
not long before his death, Sept. 3, 1890, when he was
aged seventy-one years, seven months and twelve days,
and he was buried at Sinking Spring Union Church.
Mr. Rollman married twice. On July 11, 1840, he m.
Elizabeth Sharp Matz, who died April 22. 185 — , aged
thirty-eight years, one month and twenty-eight days,
and was buried at Sinking Spring Church. The only
child of this marriage was Adam M. On Oct. 28, 1856,
Mr. Rollman m. (second) Marguerite, daughter of
John and Elizabeth Swartz. The issue of this second
union was two daughters, viz.: Elizabeth, m. to Albert
35



Schuck, of Hyde Park, Pa.; and Mary, m. to Martin
Leininger, of Reading. Mr. Rollman and his family
were Lutherans in their religious faith, members of
the Sinking Spring Church.

Adam M. Rollman grew up at home, familiar with
the routine of farm life, but he was sent to school for
a generous portion of the time, attending first the
township schools and then a private one in Reading.
At the age of twenty-five he took up butchering, and
has made that 'his trade for the greater part of his
life since. He learned his trade from his uncle
Joshua Rollman, under whom he worked a year, and
then until 1871, did butchering among the farmers.
The next two years he was associated with John Yerg-
er, of Reading, and then from 1873 till 1877 he worked
for H£rir_3E_-HQ0ver, of that city. When he left Mr.
Hoover it was with the intention of going into business
for himself, and he selected Shillington as his location,
opening a butcher shop there in 1877, which he con-
ducted with most satisfactory results till his retirement
in 1901. This, however, was not his only interest, for
his wife had previous to her marriage carried on a
mercantile business, of which after 1884 her husband
assumed a joint management. The preceding year
they had built a home on Lancaster avenue and planned
it with reference to continuing and enlarging this busi-
ness at this new location. The enterprise proved in-
creasingly profitable, and was maintained till 1904.

Mr. Rollman also combined with his other duties
that of postmaster for Shillington from 1884 till 1894.
He was the first incumbent, as the office was estab-
lished at that time. The village had been called Shil-
lingsville, after the Shillings residing there, but
on establishing the office there the postal depart-
ment asked Mrs. Rollman to suggest a name for the
station. As there were so many "villes" in that sec-
tion already, she proposed the present form. Shilling-
ton, and it was at once adopted. Mr. Rollman has
always been a strong Republican and his appointment
was made by that party. On Sept. 1, 1908, he was
elected first chief burgess of Shillington, and declined
a renomination, as he felt he had had honor enough.

On April 26, 1877, Adam Rollman was married to
Mary, daughter of Henry W. and Elizabeth (Penny-
packer) Deeds. The other children in the family of
Mr. and Mrs. Deeds were: Angeline, m. to Richard
Schnader; Elizabeth, m. to John F. Leib; Owen, and
Henry. The paternal grandparents, Henry and Mary
(Warner) Deeds, were the parents of five daughters
besides the only son, Henry W., viz.: Susan, Mary,
Leah, Harriet and Nellie. Mrs. Rollman is a lady of
much intelligence and has an unusually good memory.
From 1867 till 1874 she was a teacher in Cumru town-
ship, but in July of the latter year she definitely a-
bandoned that profession and opened the store in
Shillington referred to above. Both Mr. and Mrs. Roll-
man are Lutherans, and members of the Sinking Spring
Union Church.

In person Mr. Rollman is tall and well-built and of
considerable physical power. A good business man,
practical and energetic, he has accumulated a good
property, and is now able to live comfortably free from
all cares and responsibilities.

EDWARD J. MORRIS gave efficient service as
prothonotary of Berks county, elected in 1903 for a
term of three years.

John Morris, Sr., grandfather of Edward J., lived in
Ireland, where he reared a considerable family.

John Morris, son of John, Sr., became the father of
Edward J. He came to America in October, 1859,, and
stopped for a year in New York, then settled in Read-
ing, Pa., where he has since lived. He is at present
the tipstaff of Judge Bland's court. After coming to
this country he married Catherine, daughter of Charles
Rogers, a brewer of Cleveland, Ohio. Two of the five
children born to this marriage are now deceased, Rose
and John; those living are, Sallie C. a school teacher



546 HISTORY OF BERKS COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA

in Readino- Toseoh F wholesale grocer; and Ed- the National Biscuit Company. Mr. Esterly remained
in Reading, josepn r., wriu = ^^.^^ ^^^ ^^^^^^ ^^^ ^^^.^ ^^.^ branch of the busmess

"^Edward T Morris was born Nov. 3, 1864, in Reading, was closed. In April, 1903, Mr. Esterly, with his br.oth-
He passed through the public schools of the city, and er, H. S., formed a partnership, and since that time
at an early age began his business life as a cleric in a they have engaged successfully in the baking of cakes,
grocery store. He continued in this line for nearly ten crackers and biscuits under the firm name of the Read-
years when he embarked in the grocery business on j^^g Biscuit Company. They have a fine large four-story
his own account. Mr. Morris is still interested in the building at No. 120 Third street, 60x130, well equipped
business. He was elected prothonotary m Novem- ^^^^ ^j, ^^^ j^j^^j machinery and improvements, em-
ber, 1903. He leads a very busy hfe. being pitying forty- five skilled workmen. The firm works
connected with a number of the fraternal organiza- ^p ^^^ average of 135 barrels of flour weekly, and be-
of the city, and also is closely identified with local and ^j^j^g enjoying a good, steady local trade, ships the
Slate poHtics. He is a member of the B. P. O. Elks, prQ^^gt throughout the surrounding country.
Fraternal Order of Eagles, Knights of Columbus Total ^^ Romanus Esterly married Miss Sallie Brown,



Online LibraryMorton L. (Morton Luther) MontgomeryHistorical and biographical annals of Berks County, Pennsylvania, embracing a concise history of the county and a genealogical and biographical record of representative families, comp. by Morton L. Montgomery .. → online text (page 150 of 227)