Morton L. (Morton Luther) Montgomery.

Historical and biographical annals of Berks County, Pennsylvania, embracing a concise history of the county and a genealogical and biographical record of representative families, comp. by Morton L. Montgomery .. online

. (page 157 of 227)
Online LibraryMorton L. (Morton Luther) MontgomeryHistorical and biographical annals of Berks County, Pennsylvania, embracing a concise history of the county and a genealogical and biographical record of representative families, comp. by Morton L. Montgomery .. → online text (page 157 of 227)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


ried on business until January, 1867, when they re-
moved to Reading, having erected a plant on Maple
street south of Chestnut. Here they traded for three
years and then dissolved the partnership. In 1871, he
and his brothers, John and Henry B., formed a co-
partnership under the name of John Hendel & Bros,
and purchased the Wyomissing Woolen Mills, situated
on Fifth street below Laurel, which they remodeled
and supplied with superior machinery for manufactur-
ing wool hats, and he continued in the firm until 1895,
when he sold his interest to his brother John.

In 1878, Mr. Hendel erected a wool hat factory along
the Wyomissing creek, near Shillington, and he and
his brother John carried on business there until 1895
as Hendel Brothers; and in 1886, they erected another
wool hat factory along the Cacoosing creek at Mon-
tello, which they operated under the name of Hendel
Hat Company until 1895; then he purchased the in-
terest of his brother in the two plants. The former
was converted into a fur hat factory, and it has since
been carried on by him and his two sons, trading as
George Hendel & Sons, emplojang about 225 hands.
The wool hat business in the Montello factory was
continued by him and his two sons as the Hendel Hat
Company until 1901, when they dismantled the plant
and removed the machinery to a factory at Tenth and
Spruce streets, Reading, and here they have continued
the manufacture of wool hats under the same name
until the present time, employing about one hundred
hands.

Mr. Hendel was made a Free Mason in Chandler
Lodge. No. 227; and he is a member of DeMolay Com-
mandery No. 9, K, T. In politics he has been a Re-
publican for fifty years; and in religious matters
identified with the Evangelical church since 1864. He
was married to Catharine Mohn, daughter of William
Mohn and Polly Gerner his wife, by whom he has
two sons: John R. and William H. His wife died in
1902. Mr. Hendel's father was Levi Hendel. a hat
manufacturer at Adamstown for many years. [See
sketch of his older brother Jolin Hendel in this publi-
cation.!






/y^-^^i^^v^^



<:$^^-;



BIOGRAPHICAL



565



MAHLON E. WEIDNER, director of the National
Bank of Boyertown, proprietor of the Manatawny
Flour Mills, in Amity township, and extensive land
owner, is a member of an early settled Berks courity
family.

(I) David Weidper, son of Adam of Oley township,
located in Amity township prior to 1752, and settled on
a farm now (1909) owned by Matthias Levengood, but
which at that time was much more extensive, including
the adjoining property now owned by Anthony Al-
bright. On the LevenFOod farm was a private burial
ground which since 1900 has been under cultivation.
Here were buried David Weidner and wife, and some
of their children and grandchildren. David Weidner
was a farmer by occupation. He married Hannah
Moser. In the federal census of 1790 he is recorded
as the head of a family consisting of nine persons,
as follows: father and mother, one son above sixteen
years of age, and two sons below sixteen years of age
and four daughters.

(II) Jacob Weidner, son of David, in the federal
census report of 1790 is recorded the head of a family
consisting of eight persons: the parents, four sons un-
der sixteen years of age, and two daughters. Jacob
Weidner married Barbara Weidner, and their children
were: Peter; Jacob lived in Amity township, where
he owned a small farm now the property of a Fry-
muth; David m. and lived at Birdsboro (No issue);
Susanna m. a Romich, and had a blind daughter, Sus-
anna; Elizabeth m. Tobias Fisher; %nd one whose name
is not given. Jacob Weidner owned the farm on the
Swamp road in Amity which later became property
of John Swavely.

(III) Peter Weidner, son of Jacob, was born Dec.
4, 1787, and died Nov. 9, 1847. He was a weaver by
trade, and had a shop in'Amityville on a lot now owned
by John Bertolett. He also owned a small farm at
Amityville, which became the property of his son
Charles. He married Elizabeth Levengood, born May
1, 1793, and died May 21, 1844, and they are both buried
west of the present church at Amitjrville. They were
members of the Reformed congregation. Peter Weid-
ner and his wife became the parents of twelve children,
namely: Harijiet m. Jared Jones. Charles and Samuel
were twins. Nellie m. Charles Goodman. Sallie m.
John Lundy, and they moved to Greencastle, Ind.,
where both died. Lewis (Ludwig) is mentioned be-
low. Anna, born Jan. 6, 1823, m. in 1852, Christopher
Renz, a native of Germany, who died Nov. 10, 1876.
aged seventy years, the father of Lydia, Emma, Rosa,
Albert, Annie and Laura, and Mrs. Renz now lives
with her daughter Laura, widow of Edward G. Davis,
of Reading. Peter was next in the order of birth.
Aaron, born 1826, died 1847. Elizabeth m. William
Schaeffer. Catharine is the widow of Samuel DeHart,
of Bloomsburg, Pa. Lydia died aged nineteen years.

(IV) Lewis (Ludwig) Weidner, son of Peter, was
born in Amity township, Dec. 27, 1820, and died Aug.
25, 1907. He was a laborer and post fence maker, be-
ing an expert at the latter. In the possession of his
son, Mahlon E., is the following document: "On the
19th day of August, 1843, Lewis Weidner was honor-
ably and legally discharged from all the duties enjoined
of him as a member of the National Blues attached
to the Washington Battalion o£ Volunteers, within the
Second Brigade, 6th Division of P. M. Cjiven under
my hand and seal the day and year above written. J.
W. Rhoads. Capt." Lewis Weidner was a private in
Company B', 205th Pa. V. I., enlisting Aug. 24, 1864, to
serve one year. On June 2, 1865, he was honorably
discharged. During the latter years of his life he lived
with his son Mahlon E., and from the time of the Span-
ish-American war in 1898, in which James S. (son of
Mahlon E.) served as a private under Gen. Nelson A.
Miles in the Porto Rico campaign, three generations
of one family lived in the same house, who had served
their country in time of war. Lewis Weidner married
Hannah Engel (daughter of Jacob and Elizabeth), born
Oct. 1, 1820, died Dec. 3, 1895, and both she and her hus-



band are buried at Amityville, where they were Re-
formed members of the Amityville Church. Their
children were: Mahlon E.; Francis, of Amityville;
George, who died in 1867; Bertolet, of Pottstown; and
John, of Reading. Lewis Weidner was a stanch Repub-
lican from the time of the organization of the party.

(V) Mahlon E. Weidner was born in Amity, Oct. 2,
1844. His schooling was limited, and was all received
in the common schools of Amity. From the time he
was ten years of age he worked among the neighboring
farmers, and at fifteen he was apprenticed to learn the
wheelwright's trade. He had served eighteen months
of his time when the Civil war broke out. He enlisted
Sept. 30, 1861, at Lebanon, Pa., in Company B, 93d Pa,
V. I., under Capt. John E. Arthur (afterward Col.
Arthur), and was assigned to the Army of the
Potomac, and served principally in the Sixth
Army Corps, While with the regiment (which
was one of the fighting regiments from Pennsylvania) v
he participated in the battles of Williamsburg, Fair
Oaks, Seven Days' Retreat, Malvern Hill, Chantilly,
Harper's Ferry, Antietam, Fredericksburg, Marye's
Heights, Salem Heights, Gettysburg, Mine Run, and
the Wilderness. In the last mentioned battle Mr.
Weidner was wounded in the right fore arm (May 5,
1864), and was confined eight months in the Carver
General Hospital, Washington, D. C. He was first
honorably discharged Dec. 31, 1863, at Halltown, Va.,
and re-enlisted as a Veteran Volunteer Jan. 1, 1864,
and was promoted for merit to corporal, and was
honorably discharged at Carver General Hospital Jan.
27, 1865, .because of wounds received in battle.

After the war Mr. Weidner learned the milling trade
at Solomon Rhoads' mill, serving an apprenticeship
of two years. He then worked two years more as a
journeyman at the same place and eight years at a
neighboring mill. In the spring of 1879 he took
possession of the Manatawny Flour Mill, which he had
purchased of the Solomon Rhoads estate in the fall of
1878, and he has successfully conducted this mill for
thirty years. In 1884 he entirely remodeled the mill,
and installed the roller process, and since then has
made many other improvements, having one of the
most up-to-date mills in the county, with a capacity
of two and one-half barrels an hour. There is a tract
of sixty acres of land with this mill, on which in 1899
Mr. Weidner built a new barn 43 x 70. The large stone
house was built in 1807 by Othniel R. Sands. In 1893
Mr. Weidner purchased the Amity mill, also on Mana-
tawny creek, and this has been named the Glen Alpine
Flour Mill. It also has the roller process and a capac-
ity of two barrels per hour. To this mill belongs
thirty acres of land. On this property was a stone
mill erected in 1745, but the present brick mill replaced
it in about 1840. This mill is conducted by Mr. Weid-
ner and his brother Francis, under the firm name of
F. E. Weidner & Brother. The flour is shipped to
Philadelphia. Mr. Weidner owns the Ezekiel Rhoads
farm of 122 acres in Amity township, which he pur-
chased in October, 1907. He is a director of the Na-
tional Bank of Boyertown, tp which position he was
elected in 1896. He is one of the substantial and fore-
most citizens of the township, and wields great in-
fluence in public affairs.

In politics Mr. Weidner is a stanch Republican, and
from 1866 to 1902 served as a member of the county
committee, giving efficient and faithful service. He
has, however, always refused to hold office. Frater-
nally he belongs to Camp No. 43. Union Veteran Le-
gion, of Reading; Post No. 16, G. A. R., of Reading;
and the P. O. S. of A., No. 213, of Amityville.

On Sept. 23, 1865,. Mr. Weidner married Amanda
Shadier, daughter of Jeremiah and Harriet (Schealer)
Shadier, who in later years lived near Republic, Ohio,
where they died and were buried. They became the
parents of eleven children: Mary Ellen m. Irwin Rein-
ert; George is deceased; Grant C. died in infancy; Emma
m. Marks Boyer, and both are deceased: William H
is a miller at the Glen Alpine Mill; Anna m. George



566 HISTORY OF BERKS COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA

Delcamp; Louisa ra. Jeremiah Hine; Irwin died in bushwhackers, and equipped for both land and water

infancy; John is a farmer in Amity; James operats engagements. He served until the discharge of his

the Manatawny roller mills; and Sallie died in infancy. Command per General Orders in 1865.

After the close of the war Dr. Cleaver settled in

ISRAEL CLEAVER, M. D., a prominent physician Luthersburg, Clearfield Co., Pa., and remained there

of Reading, represents a family that dates back to the a year, when he removed to Philipsburg, Centre coun-

time prior to the Revolution. The first of the name in ty, and entered upon a professional career that lasted

Pennsylvania of whom record is found was Derrick until 1871. In 1871 he left Centre county, and after a

Cleaver. course in certain special branches he located in Read-

(I) Derrick Cleaver was twice married. By his first ing, Pa., in the spring of 1872, being still in practice in
wife he had one child, John. By his second marriage this city. He is connected with a number of profes-
there were seven children, one of whom was also sional organizations viz.: the Berks County Medical
n#med John, and he became the great-grandfather of Society, the Reading Medical Association, Pennsylvania
Dr. Cleaver.' State Medical Society, the American Medical Associa-

(II) John Cleaver was also married twice. By the tion, and the Lehigh Valley Medical Association. He
first union were born Joseph, John and Ruth. On is a member of the board of managers of the Reading
Nov. 2-, 1767. John Cleaver was married by Rev. Hospital, and secretary of that body. He holds the
Joseph 'Miller, to Catherine Kline, and they had seven position of County Medical Inspector, Pennsylvania
children, Peter, Derrick, Isaac, Jonathan, Martha, Re- Department of Health, and is in charge of the local
becca and one that died in infancy. John Cleaver died Dispensary for tuberculosis under the Department,
in 1790, and his widow married Benedict Martz. After In 1866 Dr. Cleaver was married to Miss Lorena
about forty years of wedded life she was again left a Moore, daughter of the late Wilson Moore, of Clear-
widow, and survived Mr. Martz ten years. She died field county. Pa. Of their four children Mildred died
April 14, 1841, aged ninety-two years, eleven months at the age of four years; Wilbur M. is the office man-
and seventeen days. John Cleaver was a Quaker in ager of J. C. McCrorey & Co., New York City; Hattie
religious belief, but as he married out of the church m. J. Freeman Boas, office employe of the Reading
he was dropped from the Society. Hardware Company; and Helen Guthrie is at home, a

(III) Jonathan Cleaver was born in 1781, in Earl graduate of the Reading high school and a teacher in
township, Berks county. Pa. He learned the business Sternberg School of Music, Philadelphia. The family
of woolen manufacturing, later owning and operating belong to the M. E. Church. Fraternally Dr. Cleaver is
a woolen mill. He was interested in military matters, a member of Reading Lodge, No. 579. F. & A. M.,
and during the period of "training days" held rank as a and of the Militafy Order of the Loyal Legion, Pennsyl-
colonel. He died in 1862. vania Commandery. He is also a m'ember of Gen. Wil-

Jonathan Cleaver married Elizabeth Boyer, born In Ham H. Keim Post No. 76, G. A. R., while his loyal in-

1782. daughter of Samuel and Catherine Boyer, and terest in the school of his early days is evinced by his

children were born to this union as follows: Anna, born connection with the local alumni association of the Uni-

July 4. 1806, m. to Samuel Armpreister; Esther, born versity of Pennsylvania.
July 17, 1808; Peter, born April 1, 1810. father of Henry

Tyson Cleaver, an engineer in the United States Navy; EDWIN L. MOSER was for many years at the

Elizabeth, born Feb. 2, 1812, m. to Isaac Bertolet head of the drafting room of the motive power depart-

(their son was Dr. Jonathan Bertolet late of the U. ment of the Philadelphia & Reading Railway Com-

S. Navy); Jonathan, born April 30, 1814; George K., pany, located at Reading, Pa. He learned his trade in

born May 18, 1816; Lewis, born Nov. 24, 1820; Mary the establishment where he was until recently engaged,

(deceased) and Catherine (twins), born Jan. 8, 1822, and with the exception of two years spent in Phila-

the latter of whom married Joel Golden; and Leida, delphia was connected therewith until May 1, 1909. He

born Oct. 14, 1824. Jonathan Cleaver was a member of was born in Reading June 5, 1865. son of Solo-

the Lutheran Church. In politics he was a Whig. mon L. and Catherine (DeTurck) Moser, members of

(IV) George K. Cleaver was educated in the com- two of the oldest families in the Schuylkill Valley
mon schools, and he learned the trade of wool fulling, in Berks county, numerously and creditably represented,
In 1852 he moved to Reading, and accepted a position particularly in the central and northern parts of the
in the county prison as assistant under the warden, county. Mr. Moser is of Swiss and French Huguenot
Dr. Henry Tyson. This responsible place he occupied descent, his French ancestors coming from Alsace-
for twelve years, but finally went back into the busi- Lorraine. Representatives of the Moser family settled
ness world and engaged in the manufacture of car- in Berks county in pioneer days, and George Moser,
pets, which occupied his attention until his death in grandfather of Edwin L., was a farmer in Baumstown.
1897. He married Miss (Christiana Neiffer, and to Berks county, during the first half of the nineteenth
them were born eight children, namely: Israel, of century. He died there in 1863.

Reading, Pa.; George W., of Hackensack, N. J.; Chris- Solomon L. Moser, son of George, was engaged at

tian H., deceased; Jonathan, deceased; John W., a various times as a carpenter, cabinet maker organ

hatter residing in Reading; James T., who died in builder and patternmaker in Reading He "married

April, 1907; Gertrude A., deceased wife of Linton Mil- Catherine De Turck, daughter of Jacob De Turck who

ler, who. left two children Earl and Alma J.; and for many years owned and operated a fulling mill near

Charles E.. deceased. The mother of these children Bauinstown. To Mr. and Mrs. Moser were born the

died in 1893. In early life a Lutheran, later Mr. Cleaver following children: Calvin De T ■ Amanda E • Emma

united with the M. E Church. ^ ^^ M.; Howard L. and Henry I. died in infancy; and

(V) Israel Cleaver, M. D., was born Nov. 26, 1S42, Edwin L.

and in his early childhood was sent to the public Edwin L. Moser was educated in the public schools

schools m Readmg. He completed the high school of Reading, and during the winter of 1881-82 taught

course, and then after his graduation began his medical school, in Spring township this county From Anril

studies in the office of Dr. Henry Tyson. He took 1882, until August, 1883. he was in the employ of

his medical course in the University of Pennsylvania the Reading Hardware Co. and on Seot 1 IBS'?

in
is
in

Stanton then Secretary of VVar, as assistant surgeon department."" Finishing hVs'Vradrinl887"he' condnued

in the Mississippi Marine Brigade and Ram Feet, a intermittently in the shops and the drawing room until

special organization designed to keep the river clear of transferred to the latter in August, 1888 There he




BIOGRAPHICAL



567



remained, engaged as a draftsman, until June 1, 1891,
when he was advanced to the position of chief drafts-
man. Upon the resignation of Samuel F. Prince, Jan.
1, 1892, Mr. Moser was promoted to be mechanical
engineer, and was thus engaged until Nov. 15, 1897,
when he resigned and accepted a position in the
Baldwin Locomotive Works, at Philadelphia. While
there he devoted his time principally to designing
electrical locomotives. On Nov. 1, 1899, he returned to
the service of the Philadelphia & Reading Company,
as chief draftsman in the Motive Power Department —
the position of mechanical engineer having been
abolished — where he remained until May 1, 1909, when
his health demanded his retirement from the con-
finement of office work.

Mr. Moser has been twice married. On May 24, 1888,
he m. Sallie Schaeflfer, a native of Berks county, who
died May 12. 1905. To this union were born two
children. Esther A. and Ruth K. On Nov. 27, 1907,
he m. (second) Elizabeth R. Brunner, daughter of
Hon. David B. and Amanda (Rhoads) Brunner. Mr.
Moser is a Lutheran in religious belief, and served three
years as deacon of Grace Church. Fraternally he is a
Mason, belonging to Reading Lodge No. 549, F. & A.
M.; Excelsior Chapter, No. 237, R. A. M.; Reading
Commandery, No. 42, K. T. ; and Rajah Temple, A. A.
O. N. M. S. He is also a member of Washington
Camp, No. 61, P. O. S. of A.; and of Mt. Penn Coun-
cil, No. 495, Royal Arcanum.

DANIEL J. DRISCOLL, manufacturer of seamless
steel tubing, was born at Reading Dec. 25, 1862. He
received his education in the schools of the city and
in the Naval Academy at Annapolis, Md. Resigning
from the navy he entered the employ of the Philadel-
phia & Reading Railway Company as a clerk in the
office of the superintendent of motive power. After
serving there several years he secured a position in
the large establishment of J. H. Sternbergh, manufac-
turer of nuts and bolts, for the purpose of learning
the business, and he continued with Mr. Sternbergh
until 1887, when he established a plant of his own at
Auburn, in Schuylkill county, along the Schuylkill
river, twenty-five miles north of Reading.

Mr. DriscoU operated this plant in a successful man-
ner until 1896, when he abandoned the further manu-
facture of nuts, bolts, rivets and bar-iron, and sub-
stituted machinery for the manufacture of seamless
steel tubes, his establishment being the first plant of the
kind in the United States to manufacture seamless tub-
ing from American steel. His product was highly
appreciated by the Navy Department of the National
government, and he came to supply a considerable pro-
portion of the seamless steel tubes in the building of
the monster war-ships for the new navy. He continued
to operate the plant until 1903, when it was absorbed
and abandoned by the United States Steel Corporation.
However, in one year, Mr. Driscoll succeeded in re-
purchasing the plant, and after installing new machin-
ery resumed the manufacture of seamless steel tubes.
Since then he has carried on a large business under
the name of Delaware Seamless Tube Company.

In' 1888 Mr. Driscoll married Laura B. May, daugh-
ter of Isaac May, and Mary Sterling, his wife, of
Shamokin, Pa., and they have four children: Marie,
James, Caroline and Elizabeth. They are members of
St. Peter's Roman Catholic Church. Mr. Driscoll has
established a superb country home, "Doneraile," in Bern
township, on a bluflf along the west bank of the Schuyl-
kill river, a short distance beyond the Berkshire Club,
which commands a fine view of the river and the sur-
rounding country. He is a director of the Keystone
National Bank, and a trustee of St. Joseph's Hospital,
both of Reading.

Daniel Driscoll, his father, was born in 1824, in
County Cork, Ireland, and was an infant about a year
old when his parents emigrated to America, locating
at Pottsville, in Schuylkill county. Pa. He learned the



trade of machinist in the large works of Haywood &
Snyder, and continued with them until 1848, when he
removed to Reading and entered the machine shop of
the Philadelphia and Reading Railway Company. He
worked continuously for this company in the same shop
for nearly thirty-five years, filling the position of fore-
man of one of the departments in the large shop for a
considerable part of the time. He lived in retirement
for about ten years before his decease, in 1894. He
married Elizabeth Grady (who died in 1905, aged eighty
years), daughter of Patrick Grady and Margaret
(Hayes), his wife, who also emigrated from County
Cork (Doneraile), Ireland, in 1840, and settled at
Philadelphia. They had thirteen children, of whom
the following reached maturity: Catharine, who be-
carne a sister in the Notre Dame Convent at Cincinnati,
Ohio; Agnes, a graduate of the Reading Girls' high
school and teacher in the public schools; Johanna, m.
to Matthew J. Buckley, mechanical superintendent of
the U. S. Mint at Philadelphia; Daniel J.; and another
son, John A., who was educated for the priesthood in
St. Charles Seminary at Overbrook, Pa., ordained as
a priest in 1892, and stationed at St. Mark's Church,
in Bristol, Pa., but died four years afterward. [See
succeeding sketch.]

Mr. DriscoU's grandfather, also named Daniel, was
born and brought up in County Cork. He was rnarried
to Mary Conway, of the same county. Their families
were prominent in that section of Ireland.

Mr. DriscoU's wife's father was born in Cornwall,
England, emigrated to America when a young man,
and settled in Schuylkill county, afterward removing
to Shamokin, where he became a prominent mine
operator.

REV. JOHN A. DRISCOLL, Catholic priest at Bris-
tol, Pa., for a time, was born at Reading Oct. 14, 1867,
and received his preliminary education at the Con-
vent of the Immaculate Heart at Reading, wljere he
attended until he was thirteen years old. He was then
a pupil at the Boys' high school until he was fifteen,
when he entered the Seminary of St. Charles Borromeo,.
at Overbrook, Pa., for the purpose of preparing to en-
ter the priesthood of the Roman Catholic Church.
He devoted nine years to his studies in the most assid-
uous manner, and finally reaped the reward of his great
industry and perseverance by being ordained at the
Cathedral in Philadelphia on June 11, 1892. He cele-
brated his first Mass at St. Peter's Church in Reading
on the following day. Shortly afterward he was given
his first charge at St. Patrick's Church, in Norristown,
but his health failing he was transferred to St. Mark's
Church, at Bristol, where he continued in, the active and
successful performance of his duties, winning the great
love and confidence of the members of his congrega-
tion, for nearly four years, when his physical condi-
tion was so weakened and he himself so incapacitated
that he was relieved of his charge and returned to the
home of his mother at Reading (the house in which he
was born). There he died on Tuesday, Nov. 24, 1896.



Online LibraryMorton L. (Morton Luther) MontgomeryHistorical and biographical annals of Berks County, Pennsylvania, embracing a concise history of the county and a genealogical and biographical record of representative families, comp. by Morton L. Montgomery .. → online text (page 157 of 227)