Morton L. (Morton Luther) Montgomery.

Historical and biographical annals of Berks County, Pennsylvania, embracing a concise history of the county and a genealogical and biographical record of representative families, comp. by Morton L. Montgomery .. online

. (page 159 of 227)
Online LibraryMorton L. (Morton Luther) MontgomeryHistorical and biographical annals of Berks County, Pennsylvania, embracing a concise history of the county and a genealogical and biographical record of representative families, comp. by Morton L. Montgomery .. → online text (page 159 of 227)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


test over Daniel Ermentrout for member of Congress
from the Ninth Congressional District of Pennsyl-
vania. The confidence imposed he kept sacred, and
he proved to be a remarkably able and useful repre-
sentative and in 1890 was re-elected. He was a man
of quiet and retiring disposition, and was more of a
student than a politician. As a speaker he expressed
readily what he had to say, but laid no claim to the art
ot oratory. He was impressive but had no great
amount of personal magnetism. He made friends,
however, whom he kept, and whose respect his Christ-
ian manhood retained. He was a conscientious official,
a true patriot and noble man. He died Nov. 29. 1903,
and was buried in the Brunner lot at Amityville.

WiLLiAii B. Brunner, of Amity township, was born
on the Brunner homestead, July 31, 1842. His



BIOGRAPHICAL



571



early intellectual training he received at home, and in
the common schools of the district which he attended
altogether thirty-three months. Later he attended
Amity Academy for fifteen days, then taught by his
brother, Prof. David B. Brunner, county superintend-
ent and congressman. In 1859 when he was seventeen
years old he was examined and passed a very credit-
able examination for teaching. He taught his first term
in Brecknock township, then one in Oley, one in
Muhlenberg, one in Ontelaunee and seven in Amity.
At the age of fourteen he learned the carpenter's
trade, which he has ever since followed during the
summer months, in his section, except for two years
that he lived in Reading. He employed a number of
men regularly and erected nearly all the houses and
barns in his neighborhood during that time. He was
active and was a master mechanic. Since the spring of
1875 he has lived on his present place, which he
bought from the Daniel Lee estate. It consists of thirty-
five acres of fertile land, located on the State road in
Amity. Mr. Brunner is tall and erect, and of com-
manding presence, and he is a fluent, easy speaker.

On March 2, i869, Mr. Brunner married Amanda
Francis, daughter of Samuel and Catherine (Koch)
Francis, of Amity township. To this union were born
four children, namely: William Benton, who in 1896
graduated from the Keystone State Normal School,
and taught school in Amity for a number of years, mar-
ried Catharine Kline, of Reading, and they live in
Harrisburg, where he is engaged in the merchandise
business; Anna, the eldest, m. Eli R. Snyder, and died
Oct. 12, 1895, aged twenty-five years, ten months, twen-
ty-seven days; Martha taught school five terms of
school, and m. M. L. Botts, a railway mail clerk and
merchant at Harrisburg; and Samuel Anson m. Annie
Graefif, and is a grocer at Harrisburg. Mr. Brunner and
his family are Lutheran members of the church at
Amityville. In politics he is a Democrat, and for six
years served as school director.

AUGUSTUS R. ANDERSON, President of the
, Board of County Commissioners and a representative
citizen of Mohnton, was born in Washington town-
ship, Berks county, March 21, 1865, son of Peter S.
and Catherine (Ritter) Anderson.

The Anderson family to which Augustus R. belongs
is of Irish origin, and is descended from James, a native
of Ireland, who came to this country before the Revolu-
tion. He became a clerk in the Oley furnace and forge
and is supposed to have boarded at "Woodchopper
City." The Httle colony known by that name was
located in Earl township, and sprang into existence
about the middle of the eighteenth century.

James Anderson (2) was born in "Woodchopper
City" in 1794, and lived to his ninetieth year, passing
away in 1883. By trade, he was a shoemaker, but also
farmed and was the owner of a tract of forty-four
acres in Washington township. He married Miss Re-
becca Spohn, the daughter of Casper and Rebecca
Spohn, and to their union children were born as fol-
lows: Hettie m. Gideon Hartline, a farmer at Shanes-
ville; Matilda m. Daniel Mosser, of Reading; Sophia
m. Henry Frunheiser, a farmer in Washington Town-
ship; Rebecca m. Jacob Seachrist, who moved to Ful-
ton county, Ohio; Catherine m. Augustus Nagel, of
Gilbertsville; James, a farmer and shoemaker of Wash-
ington Township, was twice married; Jeremiah, of
New Berlinville, Pa., m. Miss Catherine Muthart;
Peter S.; John, twin brother of Peter, a blacksmith at
Shanesville, was twice married; and Jacob died aged
twenty-two.

Peter S. Anderson was born in Washington township,
Sept. 24, 1835, and received most of his education in
pay school in that section, with one year in the public
schools. As a young man he learned the trade of wheel-
wright, at which he was employed but four and a
half years, when he turned his attention to farming. In
1878 he moved to Reading and has since made his home



there, except for a period of six years when he lived
with his son Augustus at Mohnton. On Oct. 16, 1857,
he married Catherine, daughter of Isaac and Anna
(Mosser) Ritter, and they became the parents of: James,
of Boyertown; a victim of the Boyertown calamity of
Jan. 13, 1908, m. Miss Laura Reppert; Henry died aged
nineteen; Audora, deceased, m. ilarry Levan; Lizzie ra.
Albert Reifsnyder; Jacob R. m. Miss Sallie Foust, and
he conducts a secondhand furniture and auction house
at No. 229 North Ninth Street, Reading, Pa.; Augustus
R. m. Miss Rosa H. Snyder; Anna L. and Wellington
both died during the "spotted tever" epidemic, and were
buried in the same coftin; Ida died of the same disease
two weeks later; Irwin m. Miss Norah Kline, and is a
barber in Reading, Pa.; Laura m. Adam Schnabel of
Reading, Pa.; Edwin m. Miss Emma Kelley, of Read'
ing. Pa.; and Kate m. James Bailey of Reading.

Augustus R. Anderson was sent to the public schools
during his boyhood, but left at an early age to go to
work, and for five years was employed as clerk at the
"Union House" in Reading, the beginning of his associa-
tion with hotel life. The next four years he was in
charge of the "Oley Line Hotel" at Lime Kiln, and in
1888 he engaged for a time as clerk in a hat store, and
then was employed by a tea and coffee house. In 185l
he was ready to return to the hotel business and accord-
ingly leased the "Mohnsville (now Mohnton) Hotel"
from Frank F. Mosser for two years. Results proved
entirely satisfactory and April 27, 1893, Mr. AnderS'on
bought the place and at once proceeded to remodel- it,
adding all the latest improvements. The house has
twenty-eight rooms, is well managed and regularly pat-
ronized by a large proportion of the traveling public.

Mr. Anderson is essentially a public-spirited man and
has done much to add to the convenience and pleasure
of his fellow citizens. One of his progressive enter-
prises was to purchase the Body estate at Mohnsville
(now Mohnton), held at a high figure, and to erect
on that site the upper station at Mohnton, a great
accomimodation. Just opposite this he built in the spring
of 1906 the Mohnton Auditorium, standing near the
trolley tracks. This building, 50x100 feet, is finished
throughout in yellow pine and. hard wood lumber, with
all modern appointments, and is used for sociables,
band rehearsals, basket ball, poultry shows, entertain-
ments of all kinds. In 1907 there was added at a con-
siderable expense an artistically equipped stage. Polit-
ically Mr. Anderson has made himself well known in
Berks county, working in the' Democratic ranks. He
has served as township committeeman, county and
state delegate, acting in the latter capacity at the
convention where Hon. Robert E. Pattison was nom-
inated for governor. In 1904 he was a candidate for
director of the poor, and polled a large vote.

Mohnton became a borough in the spring of 1906,
and Mr. Anderson was elected to the first council and
chosen as the first President, thus evidencing his pop-
ularity in a community not fettered by party lines. On
Nov. S, 1908, he was elected to the office' of County
commissioner by the sanction of 16,204 voters, a com-
pliment of no mean significance, and of this board he
was also chosen president. He was one of the organiz-
ers of the Mohnton National Bank, in which he has
held a directorship since its founding. Socially Mr.
Anderson is equally prominent and popular. He be-
longs to the F. O. E., Aerie No. 66, Reading; Eagles'
Mountain Home; the K. of P. No. 485, of Mohnton;
D. O. K. K. No. 37, of Reading; the I. O. O. F. No.
518, and Rebekah degree; the Knights of Friendship,
Fidelia No. 5 fall of Reading) ; to the P. O. S. of A.,
No. 221, of Oley Line, also P. O. S. of A. Commandery
Lexington No. 2, of Reading; the Liberty Fire Company
No. 5, and the Schuylkill Camp Club of Reading.

On Nov. 25, 1882, Mr. Anderson married Miss Rosa
H. Snyder, daughter of Jacob and Emma R. (Hartman)



573 HISTORY OF BERKS COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA

Snyder, the former a landlord in Exeter township, the King, his brother and many noblemen were pres-

Three children were born to them: Emma May; Wei- ent to pay tribute to his memory. His portrait hangs

lington S. who died May 1, 1896. aged eleven years; in the Admirals room in the Art Gallery at Amsterdam,

and Edna ' '^^^ ^''^^ settlers in the vicinity of Main's Church,

were a part of the 150 families who emigrated from

DR. LEONARD G. HAIN. Among the members Holland, and settled in 1723 or 1733 at Schoharie, N.

of the medical profession in Cumru township, Berks Y. In 1739 some dissension caused a removal of

county, may be mentioned Dr. Leonard G. Hain, who several families to the Tulpehocken valley, and others

has an' extensive practice in the pleasant borough of to Heidelberg township, Berks county. Among these

Shillington. Dr. Hain was born Oct. 27, 1872. in Wer- first settlers we find the name of Hain, or Hohen or

nersville, Berks Co., Pa., son of John H. and Rebecca Hean. With great industry and self-denial these pio-

(Gerhard) Hain. neers erected a church and founded a congregation

The early hotne of the Hains was in Holland, where of the German Reformed Church. The five acres

the name was spelled Heyn. Through various changes, (since increased to seven) belonging to Hain's Church

Hayn. Hohen, Hein, Hean, it is now generally used were donated by George Hean (Hain) about 1830,

Hain. At Delftshave (now Delf shaven), a suburb and according to the custom of the time the church be-

of Rotterdam, in 1590 lived Piet Heyn, with his wife came known as Hain's, though its name was St. John's

and four sons, the eldest of whom was Piet Peterson Church from the time it was dedicated to the "service

Heyn, born Nov. 37. 1577. The latter was a strong- of the Tri-une God." Early pastors of this church

willed boy, bold and adventurous, full of energy, and were Pastors Boehm, Weisse and Schlatter, followed

he was looked upon by the townspeople with some by the well known Rev. Jacob Lishy, of Lancaster

concern. School masters would have none of him. Af- county. George Hain, who gave the land for the

ter being expelled from school he went to Rotterdam, church, died in 1746.

where he found work on a boat. His father was a John H. Hain, father of Dr. Leonard Gerhard, was

fisherman, and was often away on long voyages, so born in Lower Heidelberg township, on the farm on

the elder son, who was not by any means the hopeless- which now stands the Wernersville Asylum. This

ly bad boy many thought him, went home twice a was the original home of the Hains in this section,

week to see his mother. His old enemies, young rela- He was born Aug. 18, 1843, and died May 4, 1903,

tives of the master who had expelled him from school, after a long and useful life. Mr. Hain owned the

would lie in wait for him, and endeavor to beat him. homestead of 130 acres, which is still in the family's

He was stronger than they, and in spite of their num- possession, and was engaged in farming and cattle

bers would always defeat them. One night these boys dealing, being known throughout Berks and Lancaster

gathered their friends until they had fourteen to wait counties as a man of sterling worth. A stanch Dem-

for the one lad coming home to his mother. Too ocrat in politics, he was active in the ranks of his

many were in the secret, however, and Piet's younger party, serving ably as school director for a period

brothers heard of it, but they could muster champions of nine years. Fraternally he was connected with

enough to make but nine on their side. The fourteen the Odd Fellows at Wernersville, and he and his fam-

met Piet first, with sticks and stones, but the noisiest ily attended Hain's Church, where he is buried. Mr.

one of all he threw into the water, and by that time Hain married Rebecca Gerhard, daughter of Adam

the brothers and their friends joined him, and to- and Catherine (Strunk) Gerhard, and to them were

gether they completely routed the superior numbers, born: Harry G, foreman at the Hampden Planing

and would have done them violence, but Piet interposed Mill; Dr. Leonard Gerhard; Frederick, who cultivates

and insisted that all shake hands. That same night he the old homestead farm; and Leah, m. to Charles

proved his courage and his ability to act quickly in Hain, who is engaged in the hosiery business at

an emergency by assisting in preventing a fire to Wernersville.

spread, and the boy who had been looked upon as bad Dr. Leonard Gerhard Hain was reared upon his
and unruly was lauded by all as the bravest boy in father's farm, on which he resided until entering col-
town. Shortly after this he went to sea, and became lege. His early education was obtained in the town-
a prisoner on a Spanish vessel, being held a very long ship schools, later he attended the Hughes Academy
time. He then shipped as second mate on the man- at Bellefonte, Centre Co.. Pa., where he prepared
of-war "Samson," commanded by Capt. Gerbrandt for college, and in the fall of 1888 he entered Palat-
Jansroon Sael. Before 1601, with nine other war ships inate College, at Myerstown. where he completed his
all under the command of Admiral Obdam, and English preparatory course for medicine. Entering Jefiferson
men-of-war under Admiral Lewison, they sailed to find Medical College in the fall of 1890. he graduated May
the Spanish fleet. The Spaniards were beaten at great 4, 1893, and on June 5th of the latter year engaged in
price, the first mate of the "Samson" being one of the practice at Shillington, being the first physician in
many victims. In a storm a few days later the captain the borough. He has gradually built up a large and
was swept overboard, and young Heyn became master lucrative practice in a densely settled community
of the ship. On his return home, after transactinq: within a radius of five miles, and his skillful services
business in Batacalo, he married Anetje De Reus, and have won for him the confidence and respect of the
settled in Rotterdam. He was not to be permitted to entire section. Personally the Doctor is pleasant and
live quietly, however, and the next voyage he sailed courteous, and as a consequence he is very popular
was as Vice-Admiral of the West Indian Company's with all who know him. He was one of the organ-
fleet of men-of-war sent against the Spanish. Admiral izers and is a director of the Mohnton National Bank
WiUeneus bemg in command. They captured San Sal- of Mohnton.

yador in April, ]626, and Piet Peterson Heyn became In political matters Dr. Hain is a Democrat and

Admiral, and was sent after the Silver Fleet of Spain, for three years served as Almshouse physician He

After many adventures, and the capture of many Span- is a member of Teutonia Lodge No 367 F & A M

ish vessels, in one battle taking twentv-six ships from Reading; Reading Chapter, No. 53, R A M ■ De Mo-

the enemy, he eventually found and defeated the fa- lay Commandery No. 9, K. T.; Rajah Temple A A

raous Sliver Fleet (with 13,000,000 florins captured as O. N. M. S.. Reading; Reading Elks. No lis' Aerie

booty) and carried his prizes triumphantly home to No. 66, F. O. E., Reading; Independent Americans

Holland, where great honors were heaped upon him. of Shillington; Knights of Pythias No 385 Mohn-

.■\t the battle off Dunkirch (Dunkirk), France, in the ton; and Knights of the Golden Eagle of Kutztown

North Sea, Admiral Heyn was killed June SO, 1039. He and his family are Reformed members of the

His remains were interred in the Church of the Lean- Hain Church, of Lower Heidelberg,

ing Tower at Delft, and a magnificent tomb was On Nov. 13, 1893, Dr. Hain was married to Annie

erected there to his memory. In 1870 his statue, made K. Miller, daughter of John H. and Sarah (Kinser)

of Udelsfenger stone, was unveiled by the people, and Miller, of Wernersville, Pa., and to this union have



BIOGRAPHICAL



573



been born two children: Stuart J., who died in in-
fancy; and Marguerite L.

J. MILTON MILLER is a member of the Berks
County Bar. His grandfather, Jacob Miller, was a
pioneer of this county and resided at Hamburg. Dr.
Alexander Merkel Miller, father of J. Milton, was a
physician of repute, and practised his profession at
Tower City, Schuylkill county, but died at the age of
thirty-eight years, in 1877.

Mr. J. Milton Miller was born July 25, 1872, at Tower
City. He attended public school for only a few years,
and his education was continued after he was twenty
years old at the Keystone State Normal School, at
Kutztown, Pa. In 1898 he was admitted to the Bar
of Berks County, and later to the higher courts. On
Jan. 27, 1897, he was married to Miss Sara G. Miller,
daughter of J. Russell Miller, who was in the Reading
Railroad service for more than forty years, and who
was a Corporal of Company A, 88th Pa. V. I., serving
in the Civil War for four years. J. Alexander, Rich-
mond P. and Emily L. are the children of this mar-
riage.

Mr. Miller is a Democrat in politics, a member of
the Americus Club, and belongs to the Calvary Re-
formed Church, where he takes an interest in the
church and Sunday school work.

D. NICHOLAS SCHAEFFER, one of the leading
representatives of the legal fraternity in Berks county.
Pa., and a resident of the city of R.eading, was born
Sept. 10, 1853, in Maxatawny township, Berks county,
son of David and Esther (Christ) Schaeffer.

His paternal great-grandfather was George Schaeffer,
a native of Southern Germany, north of the Rhine,
who, in 1750, with 30,000 other inhabitants of that coun-
try located in Pennsylvania. He settled upon a tract
of land in Richmond township, which is now owned
by his descendants, and there reared a family of five
children, two sons and three daughters. This sturdy
old pioneer passed to his eternal reward in 1792, after
a long and useful life.

Philip bchaefifer, grandfather of D. Nicholas, was
born on the old homestead farm in 1770, and became
an agriculturist. He manufactured the first threshing
machine in Berks county, and met with such success
as to warrant him to continue in that line of work
the remainder of his life. He was the orogenitor of
a family of twelve children: Geor"-e; Peter; Isaac;
Jonathan; Daniel; Philip; William; David; Sarah m.
Jacob De Long; Elizabeth m. Solomon Yoder; Anna
M. m. Isaac Merkle; and Esther m. Francis De Long.
In politics he was a Democrat, while in religious
attachments he was a member of the Reformed Church.
He was a soldier in the war of 1812, our second great
conflict with Great Britain, and acquitted himself with
credit. M,rs. Schaeffer died in 1849, and her husband
in January, 1853, at the advanced age of eighty-three
years.

David Schaeffer, the father of D. Nicholas, was born
in Berks county, Oct. 3, 1820, and engaged in tilling
the soil, after obtaining a good education in the com-
mon schools. He was deeply interested in the edu-
cational advancement of his community, and was one
of the charter members of the Keystone State Normal
School of Kutztown, of which he is still a trustee.
In May, 1848, he married Esther Christ, who was
born in Greenwich township, Berks county, in 1825.
Five children blessed this union, and each was given
the best educational advantages, and is now a credit
to the community in which he lives. The record is
as follows: Nathan is Superintendent of Public In-
struction of the State of Pennsylvania; William D.
is a Professor in the Theological Seminary of the
Reformed Church at Lancaster, Pa.; .D. Nicholas;
James is engaged in farming; and Charles is a physi-
cian of Allentown.

D. Nicholas Schaeffer, after completing the required
course in the common schools, attended Franklin &



Marshall College, at Lancaster, graduating therefrom
in the class of 1876. Immediately thereafter he began
reading law under the tutelage of George F. Baer of
Reading, and was admitted to the Bar in 1878. He
then opened a law office in the city of Reading, and
soon acquired a large and lucrative practice, which
is still his in a much augmented state. He is a rnan
of great determination and shrewdness, and having
once entered upon a case he works with might and
main, ana usually with pood results. He is a dutiful
citizen and a good neighbor, being held in high esteem
by a large number of friends and fellow citizens.

Mr. Schaeffer married, Nov. 11, 1880, Katherine
Grim, aaughter of Jonathan K. Grim, and three bright
and interesting children blessed their union, namely:
Forest G., Paul N. and Harry H. In politics he is
a stanch supporter of the principles . of the Demo-
cratic party, and in religious affiliation a member of
the Reformed Church of Reading, of which he is an
elder.

SCHULTZ. Among the prominent representatives
of the Schultz family in Washington township are the
brothers, Owen K. Schultz, farmer, dairyman and
stockman, now living retired, and Joseph K. Schultz,
who in the spring of 1899 retired from the milling busi-
ness.

The Schultz family came to America from Saxony.
Melchior Schultz was born June 26, 1680. and died
Feb. 15, 1734. in the fifty-fourth year of his age, at
Berthelsdorf, Saxony. His death took place just about
two months before the time set for his emigration to
America. His children were: George, M'elchior and
Christopher, the latter of whom became a noted minis-
ter.

George Schultz, son of Melchior and brother to Rev.
Christopher, married, Jan. 31, 1744, Maria, daughter of
Abraham Yeakel, and they made their home in Upper
Hanover township, Montgomery Co.. Pa. Their child-
ren were: Abraham, born March 23, 1747; and Melchior,
born March 25, 1756. George Schultz died Oct. 30,
1776, aged sixty-five years, and his wife Maria passed
away Dec. 13, 1797, at the age of seventy-nine years.

Abraham Schultz, son of George and Maria, was born
in Upper Hanover township, Montgomery county,
March 23, 1747. He was a great lover of books and
having a retentive memory and comprehensive, mind,
he became one of the best educated men of the time.
He was a member of the Schwenkfelder religious so-
ciety, and he served it in the capacity of trustee, school
inspector, teacher and catechist. The community fre-
quently called his services into requisition as scrivener
and counsellor. In 1796 he was elected a^ member of
the General Assembly from Montgomery county. He
died Dec. 25, 1822. In 1771 he married Regina Yeakel,
daughter of Christopher Yeakel, and their children
wefe: Benjamin, born July 20. 1772 (died March 20,
1802); Adam, Sept. 20. 1775; Isaac, March 4. 1778; Ab-
raham, Feb. 18, 1781 (died March 23, 1802); Freder-
ick. Aug. 10, 1784 (died Dec. 17. 1794); Joseph, Jan. 22.
1787; and Melchior, June 23, 1789.

Isaac Schultz, son of Abraham and Regina, was
born March 4, 1778, and died Oct. 15, 1867. He had
a good farm of 100 acres, besides woodland, in Upper
Hanover township, and for a time taught school. He
had eight children: Amos; Isaac; Abraham; Daniel S.;
Christina; Joel; Philip and Joseph.

Amos Schultz, son of Isaac, born May 11, 1809, died at
the home of his son. Owen K., May 10, 1895, and is
buried at the Schwenkfelder Church, Washington town-
ship. In 1861 he built the mill now owned by Joseph
K. Schultz, and operated by the tatter's son, Amos K.
Amos Schultz married Elizabeth Kriebel, daughter of
Samuel Kriebel, of Worcester township, Montgomery
county. They had eight children: Sarah, wife of Joel
Schultz. ri Upper Hanover township; Susan, deceased
wife of A. T. D. Johnson, of New Berlinville; Joseph
K.; Anna, deceased; Edwin, president of the First Nat-
ional Bank of Boyertown; Owen K. ; Lucina, who lives



574



HISTORY OF BERKS COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



with her brother Owen K. ; and Elizabeth, wife of
Josephus Gerhard, of Hereford township. Mrs. Eliza-
beth (Kriebel) Schultz was born Dec. 33, 1812. and she



Online LibraryMorton L. (Morton Luther) MontgomeryHistorical and biographical annals of Berks County, Pennsylvania, embracing a concise history of the county and a genealogical and biographical record of representative families, comp. by Morton L. Montgomery .. → online text (page 159 of 227)