Morton L. (Morton Luther) Montgomery.

Historical and biographical annals of Berks County, Pennsylvania, embracing a concise history of the county and a genealogical and biographical record of representative families, comp. by Morton L. Montgomery .. online

. (page 160 of 227)
Online LibraryMorton L. (Morton Luther) MontgomeryHistorical and biographical annals of Berks County, Pennsylvania, embracing a concise history of the county and a genealogical and biographical record of representative families, comp. by Morton L. Montgomery .. → online text (page 160 of 227)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


died March 29, 1891. Mr. Schultz was active in local
politics, and for ten years was justice of the peace in
Douglass township, A'lontgomery county, and was di-
rector of Schultzville Independent School District, and
in many other ways served his community.

Owen K. Schultz, son of Amos, was born in Doug-
lass township, Montgomery county, just across the
Berks county line, March 23, 1851. He attended the
Schultzville Independent School in Washington town
ship, whither the Amos Schultz family moved in the
spring of 1857. His early years were passed on the
home farm, and after he was twenty-one years of
age he continued working for his parents for
seven years. In 1880 he took possession of tht
farm on his own account. This consists of ninety-three
acres of excellent land, and he was very successful in
its management. He paid special attention to dairying,
and had some fine stock, as well as a complete line
of modern farm machinery. He continued to farm
until 1903, when he retired. He has the agency for the
Page Woven Wire Fence Company, of Adrian, Mich.,
and in this work he has met with success. His farm is
one of the most attractive on the west branch of the
Perkiomen. A mill dam covers a few of his acres
with water, and the mill is located but 130 feet from the
residence, and is familiarly known as the "County Line
Mill." The house was built in 1856 by his father, Amos,
and is a substantial brick structure of large dimen-
sions. It is surrounded by a carefully kept lawn,
studded with Norway and silver maple trees, and en-
closed by an iron fence. The Swiss barn was built
by Amos Schultz in 1855, and was the first barn in the
district to have running water in the stalls.

Mr. Schultz is one of the active business men of his
district. He was one of the organizers of the Niantic
Dairymen's Association, which conducts a creamery at
Niantic, and of this he has been treasurer since its
organization April 1, 1889. They make a high grade
of butter, and also have a large cheese trade, their
product being sold in the community and in Phila-
delphia. He was instrumental in having the State
Road built through his district. He has been a di-
rector of the Reading Bone Fertilizer Company since
its organization March 8. 1905; a director of the Moun-
tain Telephone Company. Inc., which has thirty miles
of wire in the eastern township of Berks county; and is
treasurer of the Douglass Telephone Company, oper-
ating ten miles of wire, and of which company there
were sixteen original shareholders. Mr. Schultz is a
stockholder of the First National Bank of Boyertown,
and acts as its agent, weekly making deposits for the
people of his district.

Mr. Schultz has been twice married. On Feb. 7, 1880,
he married Leanna Kriebel. of Worcester township,
who was born June 8, 1852, and who died April 5, 1887,
the mother of two children. Chester and Mabel, both
graduates of Perkiomen Seminary, since which time
Chester has also graduated from Princeton University,
Princeton, N. J., class of 1908, and Pierce's Business
College, Philadelphia, fall of 3908. Mr. Schultz mar-
ried (second) Sept. 31. 1889. Mary Schultz, daughter
of Adonia Schultz, of Worcester township. Montgom-
ery county. The family attend the Schwenkfelder
church.

Joseph K. Schultz, son of Amos, was born in Doug-
lass township, Montgomery county, Nov. 20, 1840.
The district school afforded him his educational ad-
vantages, and at home he was trained along agricul-
tural lines. He was twenty-two when he began work
in his father's mill, and in 1882 he succeeded to the
ownership. This mill was first a grist and flour mill,
and in 1895 a roller process was added. The present
narne of the iiiill is the Wave Roller Mill, but early
in its history it was called the County Line Mill. It
is a four-story building. 40x45 feet, with an addition



28 feet square, and it is run by water from the west
branch of the Perkiomen creek. Seventeen acres of
land are included in the mill property. At the present
time Mr. Schultz's son. Amos K., is operating the mill
and he turns out three brands of fiour that are very
popular — "Wave," "Union" and "Schultz's Best." Mr.
Joseph K. Schultz retired from the management of the
mill in 1899. With his son Elmer he organized the
Champion Manufacturing Company, Inc., of Philadel-
phia, manufacturing horse and cattle powders, and
poultry feed powders at Barto, but the main office is
at No. 427 Walnut street, Philadelphia. Mr. Schultz
has been quite an apiarian, and at one time had as many
as forty hives, producing about 500 pounds of honey
annually. He resides in a comfortable brick house
built by his father in 1867.

In 1865 Mr. Schultz married Susan Bechtel Krauss,
daughter of George Krauss, an organ builder of Upper
Hanover township. They have had four children:
Elmer, an insurance agent and real estate dealer in
Philadelphia, m. Marie Hirner. daughter of Dr. C. G.
Hirner, of Allentown, and has two children, Lloyd and
Miriam; Hannah m. Joseph B. Bechtel, a jeweler in
Philadelphia, and has two children, Francis Clarke and
Dwight Earle; Amos m. Irene Seipt, daughter of Wil-
liam Seipt. of Worcester township. Montgomery coun-
ty, and has two children, Florence and Harold; Olivia
m. John G. Deihl, Wharf Master at Port Richmond.
Philadelphia, Pa., and they have one daughter, Frances.
Mr. Joseph K. Schultz and his sons and sons-in-law
are Republican in political principle and in religious
faith he and his family are Schwenkfelders.

DANIEL H. CHRISTIAN (deceased). One of the
best known of Reading's citizens, who was for many
years identified with the construction work of the Phil-
adelphia & Reading Railroad, was Daniel H. Christian,
who died December 22, 1903. Mr. Christian was born
Oct. 17. 1849. on the old Christian homestead in Ex-
eter township, Berks county, son of Edward and Cath-
erine (Hofifmaster) Christian.

Henry Christian, the great-grandfather of Daniel H.,
was a carpenter in Switzerland, and died in that coun-
try in his fortieth year, his death being caused by a
fall from a ladder, when he broke his back in two
places. His wife, Frenna, was a seamstress and mid-
wife, and died in her eighty-ninth year, much beloved
in the village where she had lived so long. She and
her husband had three children: one son who settled
in Virginia; John, the grandfather of Daniel H.; and
a daughter who remained in Switzerland.

John Christian was born in the village of Frenk-
endorf. Basel Landschaft, Switzerland, Jan. 20. 1786,
and was baptized and confirmed in the Reformed
Church in Frenkendorf. He attended the village school
during the winter, this school being attended most of
the time by over 100 children. Later he went to a
school at Liestell for three months, but his school-
ing came to an abrupt end when Napoleon marched
into the town with his army of 200.000. Until sixteen
years of age young Christian was engaged in agri-
cultural pursuits and wine culture. The Napoleonic
army having brought hardship upon the Basel Land-
schaft, there was no money with which to pay the
heavy taxes, and times became very hard, this causing
nearly 400 families to depart from the wharves o1
the city, Mr. Christian being one and the youngest
of four single men. He started from the Rhine waters
April 10, 1804, and seventeen days later the Swiss
emigrants arrived at Amsterdam, whence they took
passage on the ship "Rebecca," bound for Philadel-
phia, the contract price being sixty-five dollars per
person over seventeen years of age, and one meal
per day. After some difi^culty the ship glided into
the English Channel from the Texel Sea, and then
to the ocean, and after a very stormy vovage, during
which sea-sickness, hunger and thirst caused the death
of sixty-four of the 374 passengers, the ship landed
en a Sunday morning, .Aug. 17, 1804, at the Lazaretto



BIOGRAPHICAL



175



below Philadelphia. After suffering from fever for
some time, Mr. Christian escaped from the overcrowd-
ed hospital and through the friendly services of ac-
quaintances was directed to Philadelphia. . Three young
friends, and many others who had escaped the ter-
rible journey went to Ohio, and Mr. Christian finally
settled at Reading in 1807, where he was married
Oct. H, 1808, to Margarete Deem, daughter of Christo-
pher Deem, and wife (whose maiden name was Settly),
of Reading, the former of whose parents had come to
America from Germany. After living near Lancaster
for one and one-half years with' his wife ana her sister
Elizabeth, Mr. Christian returned to Reading and
built a still house on a lot he had bought before his
marriage from one David Bright. Then Mr. Christian
formed a partnership with Michael Bright, this con-
nection however being of short duration, he taking
into partnership John Birkenbine, whose share Mr.
Christian bought later. In 1822 Mr. Christian sold
his interests for $2,450, $1,600 in cash and the residue
in two equal payments, and in the soring of 1823 he
bought thirty-two acres of land in Exeter township.
along the Schuylkill, where he moved his family in
the fall of that year. His children were: John, born
in 1810, a railroader, who lived in Lebanon, Pa., and
died Oct. 12, 1875; Edward, born March 13, 1817;
Frenna, born 1821. who died of a prevailing fever
when she was nearly two years old; and a son, born
Feb. 12, 1824. John Christian was a man of more
than ordinary education, and in 1865 wrote a forty-
eight page booklet, which he named "An Autobiog-
raphy of John Christian," in which he gave a graphic
account of his journey from the land of his nativity
to the land of his adoption, his trials and hardships,
and his subsequent prosperity. One of these booklets
is now in the possession of Edward Christian's familv,
of Reading.

Edward Christian, father of Daniel H., was born
March 13, 1817, at the corner of Front and Franklin
streets, Reading, where his father, John Christian,
carried on distilling until 1822, when he removed
his household effects on a boa*' which was pro-
pelled uv six hand oars, and landed near the locks
of the Big Dam. Here they built a house at a point
now called Neversink Station, ana young Christian
helped his father to cultivate five or six acres of land,
cut down trees and stack the wood in cords in dif-
ferent parts of. Exeter. Later .he attended school
about two miles below the Black Bear, where he learned
his first lessons, and subsequently a pay schopi was
started by Gustavus Lewis, where young Christian
attended. This school was fitted up in a single room
in a private house and there were but eight pupils.
Many years later a large schoolhouse was built at
the Black Bear, which he' also attended. In 1830 he
assisted his father to join shingles for the barn of
George de B. Keim, about half a mile below the
Neversink Station, and later in squaring logs for Sey-
fert & McManus' furnace. In 1838 he went at his trade,
that of milling, with Amos Esterly, at Hertzog's mill,
on the Perkiomen turnpike, and he remained here
three years, polling his first vote in 1839 at Stoners-
ville, when he voted the Democratic ticket, which was
his custom to the time of his death, missing but one
election; he voted at fifteen Presidential elections. In 1839'
he and his father built the old Sunday schoolhouse
situated on the road leading from Black Bear to the
Schuylkill river, and the building is still standing in
a good state of preservation, being called "All Sorts"
school house, on account of the different kinds of
stones used in its construction. Mr. Christian was
superintendent of the Sunday-school for ten years,
and taught a class of young men.

He married, Aug. 21. 1842, Catherine Hoffman,
daughter of Christian and Ellen Hoffman, of Stony
Creek, the former of whom was the proprietor of a
grist mill and the first owner of a wool factory in
that district. In the spring of 1842 Mr. Christian
moved back to the old homestead at Neversink, where



he engaged in farming. When the Civil war broke
out he was very active in securing recruits. He was
well preserved to the 'time of his demise. He was
five feet, eleven inches tall, and very erect, but during
the last few years of his life his eyesight failed very
rapidly. He was a school director for six years, aiding
in the establishment of many schools, and was appoint-
ed by the court to appraise damages and lay out new
roads in Berks, and in various ways he was a very
useful citizen. He was the last of his family, and at
the time of his death had sixteen grandchildren and
five great-grandchildren. His own children were: Mrs.
George Esterly; Jacob H., of Reading; Daniel H.; Ed-
ward H., of Mt. Penn., Pa.; and Solomon H., of
Reading. Mr. Christian lived in retirement from 1883
at No. 1216 Chestnut street. In religious belief he was
a Lutheran, and attended Grace Church of that denom-
ination, in the faith of which his estimable wife died
' Feb. 19, 1907, aged eighty-three years. Fraternally
Mr. Christian was connected with Salome Lodge No.
105, I. O. O. F., in which he was very popular.

Daniel H. Christian attended the schools of his town-
ship and was reared on his father's farm, assisting
in its cultivation until 1862. He then secured employ-
ment with the repairing gang of the Philadelphia &
Reading Railroad, where he worked for some years,
and in 1874 was sent to Lancaster to superintend the
laying of tracks on a new branch of the Philadelphia
& Reading, extending from Lancaster to Quarryville,
about fourteen and one-half miles. In the spring of
1876 he returned to Reading and took charge of the
West Reading branch, remaining, until 1878. when he
was sent to Shamokin as superintendent of track re-
pairs of the Mahanoy division. In 1883 he was ap-
pointed general supervisor of the Division, with head-
quarters at Mahanoy Plane, but in 1888 he resigned
to become coal and iron policeman of the Pennsyl-
vania Railroad Company at Nescopeck and Wilkes
Barre. After a short time he resigned this position
and returned to the Reading, 'in whose employ he
was, all told, twenty-one years. He was superintend-
ent of the work of changing the tracks in the Mana-
yunk tunnel and was an expert at finishing and laying
rails for large curves, being in later years frequently
consulted as to how tracks should be laid to insure
safety and easy riding. After the completion of the
tunnel Mr. Christian came back to Reading and took
charge of the erection of the electric power plant
at the Big Dam, for the Neversink Mountain Rail-
road Company, and later he was appointed super-
intendent of the road, which was built around the
mountain under his supervision. He rendered valuable
service to the company, and while thus employed
made a number of important inventions, among which
are a brake shoe and fender, the former being used
on all Neversink cars. His car fender was adopted
by the Philadelphia Traction Company. One of his
most important inventions was the automatic block
signal, which is used on the Neversink and other
lines, and he also invented an automatic switch, catch ' '
and lock, which is used on many portions of the Phil-
adelphia & Reading road at present. For the last
few years of his life he was employed as electrician
by the United Traction Company of Reading, and
was an expert in this line. He had charge of all of
the electric work on the Neversink road, including
overhead work, wires, motors and repairs and rewind-
ing of armatures. While working around the con-
trollers of summer cars at the North Tenth street barn,
removing an incandescent lamp from its socket, being
in the act of replacing it with a search light, Mr.
Christian received a shock, and soon afterward he ex-
pired in the arms of a fellow workman, where he
had fallen. Mr. Christian was held in high esteem
by his employers, and was a great favorite among the
employes, the general declaration among whom was:
"I never worked for a better man." Mr. Christiari
died Dec. 23, 1903, aged fifty-four years.



576



HISTORY OF BERKS COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



Daniel H. Christian was married Aug. 8, 1868, to
Mary Catherine Houck, born Aug. 8, 1849, daughter
of Henry G. and Hannah (Gilbert) Houck, and grand-
daughter of John Houck, of Chester county. To Mr.
and Mrs. Christian were born these children: Oliver
W.. an electrician who took his father's place with the
Reading Traction Company, m. Bertie Templin; Per-
milla m. Robert Hardy, a draughtsman at the Acme
Motor Works, Reading; Harry is an electrician and
car inspector at the Wilson avenue car barn, Cleve-
land, O.; and Daniel resides at home with his mother
at No. aso South Thirteenth street, Reading.

CHARLES E. AUMAN. The Chief of Police of the
city of Reading is necessarily a man much in the
public eye and the present incumbent of that important
office, Hon. Charles E. Auman, is one whose private
reputation and public record prove him worthy of the
trust reposed in him. Chief Auman comes of German
ancestors, both his grandfather and father being natives
of Bavaria, Germany. The grandfather, Bernard Au-
man, with his son Cornelius, then a child of three, came
to Pennsylvania in 1848, settling in Adams county,
where he and his wife were buried. Being a hard work-
er and good manager, he accumulated property and
died in advanced age, a wealthy man. His wife also
lived many years and lies beside him in the cemetery at
Littlestown.

Cornelius Auman was reared on his father's farm,
later purchasing one of his own. During the Civil War
he enlisted in Company G., 209th Pa. V. I., under Col.
Tobias B. Kauffman, and Capt. George W. Frederick. He
was mustered in at Camp Curtin, Harrisburg, Pa., Sept.
16, 1864; was wounded at Fort Steadman, Va., March
35, 1865; and was in the hospital when mustered out.
At present he lives retired at York, Pa. His wife was
Agnes Eckenroad, of Bonneyville, Adams county, Pa.
They had children as follows: John, a cigar-packer of
York, Pa., m. Miss Katie Gottwald, of Hanover, York
county; William, a cigar-packer at Schenectady, N.
Y., m. Miss Annie Culp, of Gettysburg, Adams county;
Charles E.; Margaret is the widow of Frank Sauer-
wald, and lives at Baltimore, Md.; Augustus, a car-
penter living at Gettysburg, Adams county, m. Emma
Gottwald, also of Gettysburg; Mary died at the age of
four years; Annie m. Emory Waltman of York, Penn-
sylvania.

Charles E. Auman was born at Gettysburg, Pa., Jan.
19. 1871. His boyhood days were spent in Adams
county, and there he attended the public schools until
he left to learn the cigar-maker's trade, which he has fol-
lowed at intervals all his life. He came to Reading,
April 29, 1890, and worked for Glaser, Frame & Co.
for seven years, and then for others until his appoint-
ment as police patrolman in 1899 by Mayor Adam H.
Leader. He served three years with great credit, and
in 1902 was made inspector of the 4th Precinct of the
Ninth ward. In 1908 he was appointed Chief of Police
by Mayor William Rick. In the short time he has been
in office, Chief Auman has made many very beneficial
changes, and he is resolved to mark his incumbency of
the position by a vigorous crusade against vice. Es-
pecially are his efforts directed towards the clearing out
of the undesirable places in the tenderloin district. Al-
ready there is a marked change, and the people of Read-
ing are beginning to realize the wisdom of his Hon-
or's choice of Chief.

In 1893, Mr. Auman married Catherine M. Plank,
daughter of Sebastian and Frances Plank, natives of
Germany. Mr. and Mrs. Auman have had two children:
Raymond S., who died in infancy; and Edna F.

The pleasant residence of Chief Auman is at No. 1037
Elm street. The Chief has always been an active Re-
publican, and has served many times as delegate to
city and county conventions. In personal appearance
he is a man of fine physique, tall, well built and of
good appearance, while his knowledge of conditions
of his office and the need for vigorous and energetic
action by the police is far reaching, and, as has been



said before, he is showing the people of Reading that
he knows just what to do in emergencies.

EDWARD C. NOLAN, of Reading, enjoys the distinc-
tion of being the youngest vice-president of any national
bank in America. Reading between the lines, this means
that he has a natural aptness in the management of finan-
cial affairs. While this is true, it is also true that the
death of his father threw heavy responsibilities on him at
a very early age. It is but justice to say that Mr. Nolan,
to use a common expression, has "made good." He was
born in Reading Aug. 8, 1880, son of William and Cathe-
rine (McDonough) Nolan.

William Nolan, the father, was for many years one
of the heaviest railroad contractors of the city, his death,
on Feb. 28, 1903, at the age of sixty-three, removing
from the business circles of Reading a well-known figure.
His wife, Catherine McDonough, was the daughter of
Dr. Charles McDonough, a prominent practising phy-
sician of Berks county for many years, and a member
of a family celebrated in the medical world. Their child-
ren, nine in number, were : Anna, wife of Charles P.
Bower, a prominent civil engineer of Philadelphia, but
residing in Reading; Catherine, who married Fred Jones,
of Philadelphia; James B., a contractor; William, pres-
ident of the Nolan Construction Company, and also of
Nolan Brothers; Charles J., a contractor; Thomas G., a
civil engineer; Barnard J., who studied at Villa Nova
College, class of 1907 ; Francis Reilly, a student at Villa
Nova College, class of 1909 ; and Edward C.

Villa Nova College furnished Edward C. Nolan with
his Hterary education, his graduation taking place in
1899. A course at the Inter-State Business College- fol-
lowed. Mr. Nolan's first entry into the business world
was as bookkeeper and timekeeper for his father and
brothers, William, Jr., and Charles J., the brothers at that
time conducting operations under the firm name of Nolan
Brothers, being the largest contractors in the city. After
two years Mr. Nolan engaged in the real estate business,
and had hardly made a fair start when the death of his
father occurred. This event changed the course of his
life. He at once took hold of the work which his father
had so summarily laid down, becoming a director in the
First National Bank in his stead. In 1904 JNIr. Nolan,
in company with his brother William and C. P. Bower,
organized the Nolan Construction Company, in addition
to Nolan Brothers. In 1905 he was elected vice-president
of the First National Bank, being the youngest man to
hold that important position in the country. In Sep-
tember, 1905, in company with his brother-in-law, C. P.
Bower, and William Nolan, Jr., Mr. Nolan bought the G.
W. Hawk Hosiery Co., one of the largest of the kind
in the State, and doing a splendid business, and he is
serving as treasurer of the company. Mr. Nolan is
already one of the leading business men of his city. He
continues his real estate and insurance office at No. 24
North Fifth street, having established a fine patronage in
that line. He has been president of the Keystone Vehicle
Company since February, 1907 ; is president of the Ar-
nold Safety Razor Company; and a member of the
Board of Underwriters.

Although a very busy man, JNIr. Nolan finds time to
indulge in the social amenities of life, being a popular
member of Reading's most exclusive clubs, the Wyomis-
sing (in which he is a director and treasurer) and the
Berkshire, and he is also a member of the B. P. O. E.
He belongs to the Pennsylvania Forestry Association, and
is much interested in its work. In religious life he is
a communicant of the Roman Catholic Church, with mem-
bership at St. Peter's. In political faith he is a Democrat.

On Nov. 6, 1906, Mr. Nolan was married to Cora,
daughter of Clarence H. and Emma Lou Sembower.

WILLIAM NOLAN, Jr., a prominent railroad contract-
or, residing at Sinking Spring, was born in Reading Mav
4, 1874, He was educated in the local schools, and also
at St. Alary's College, at Emmitsburg, Md. Then he




^^(uu. AAh\



Ogoj



BIOGRAPHICAL 577

learned the business of railroad contracting with the ten years old. and then went to work in a cotton mill,
firm of Nolan Brothers, of which firm his father was from which he went into a photograph gallery, learned
the senior partner, and while still under age he became the business and followed it for himself for twelve years.
a partner of Joseph P. O'Reilly. From 1893 to 1896 Retiring from this work he visited California for eight
they executed several large contracts, puttmg up iron months, and on his return to Reading bought the



Online LibraryMorton L. (Morton Luther) MontgomeryHistorical and biographical annals of Berks County, Pennsylvania, embracing a concise history of the county and a genealogical and biographical record of representative families, comp. by Morton L. Montgomery .. → online text (page 160 of 227)