Morton L. (Morton Luther) Montgomery.

Historical and biographical annals of Berks County, Pennsylvania, embracing a concise history of the county and a genealogical and biographical record of representative families, comp. by Morton L. Montgomery .. online

. (page 162 of 227)
Online LibraryMorton L. (Morton Luther) MontgomeryHistorical and biographical annals of Berks County, Pennsylvania, embracing a concise history of the county and a genealogical and biographical record of representative families, comp. by Morton L. Montgomery .. → online text (page 162 of 227)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


hanger at Reading, m. Rosa Schlanker, and has one
son, William; Wesley G.. a cigar maker of Myers-
town, m. Kate Bentz. and has three children, Edna,
Grace and Wallace; Valeria m. John Callaney, super-
intendent of the American Iron & Steel Company,
at Lebanon, Pa.; Amy F. m. Wallace W. Weighley,
a cigar maker of Richland, Pa.; and Miss Alva, with
her mother, conducts a small grocery store.

Levi J. Emrich attended the public schools of his
native locality until reaching the age of sixteen years,
and at this time went to learn the milling business
with John G. Frantz, of Mount Aetna, Pa., remaining
with this gentleman for two years. From this time
until 1894 he worked at various mills, and in that year
formed a partnership with Henry T. Wagner, under
the firm name of Wagner & Emrich, and this con-
nection has continued to the present time, with much
success. The old Womelsdorf Mills, erected in 1815,
by Martin Brown, were occupied bv the firm in 1894.
but were totally destroyed by fire on Jan. 13, 1900,
and were replaced by the present excellent structure,
which cost nearly $15,000. This building, which is
three stories high, covers a floor space of fifty square
feet, and is equipped throughout with the latest and
most highly improved machinery. The firm manu-
facture a high grade of flour, grain and feed, their
best known brand being the IXL. for which there
is a ready market not only locally, but all over the
country. The partners are industrious, capable busi-
ness men, and possess the full confidence of the com-
munity.

Mr. Emrich was married Aug. 0, 1892, to Ellen T.
Wagner, born Jan. 30. 1862. daughter of Levi and
Mary (Troutman) Wagner. Mr. and Mrs. Emrich are
members of the Reformed congregation of Tulpe-
hocken Church. In politics Mr, Emrich is a Repub-
lican, and fraternally he is connected with Golden
Rule Lodge No. 159, I. O. O. F., of Womelsdorf.

GEORGE DELL FAHRENBACH, who makes his
home in Penn township, Berks county, was born Aug.
15, 1S46, in Hesse-Cassel, Germany, but has lived in
this country from boyhood.

Charles William Fahrenbach, his father, was also
born in Hesse-Cassel, where he learned the trade of
wheelwright, but he was best known as a musician.



He taught music, being a master of many instruments,
and was also engaged as orchestra leader in opera
houses in his native land. He was a bugler in the Ger-
man cavalry, and after coming to this country served in
the same capacity in the Pennsylvania State militia. _

In 1851 Mr. Fahrenbach came to this country, bring-
ing his wife and family, which then consisted of five
children, and locating on a farm in Penn township.
Berks Co.. Pa., he followed farming and wagon-mak-
ing, finding his trade very useful in the new world. He
became a member of the Reformed Church in Penn
township, in which both he and his wife were active
workers, and he was known as a devoted student of the
Scriptures, concerning which he was very well informed.
Mr. Fahrenbach married Christiana Dell, a native of
Rhein-Sachsen. Germany, and they became the par-
ents of six children, five born in the old country and
the youngest born in America, viz.: John, who is de-
ceased; George Dell; Adam, who has been blacksmith
at the Berks County Almshouse for twenty-seven years,
being elected each year by the board of directors;
Hannah, deceased, who was the wife of Dr. O. C.
Collins; Maria, married to Christian Bohringer. of St.
Louis, Mo.: and Caroline, wife of Monroe Strouse. of
Clearfield county. Pa. The mother of this family
died in 1891, at the age of seventy-five years, and the
father preceded her to the grave in March, 1883. at the
age of seventy-four years. ,

George Dell Fahrenbach grew to manhood upon a
farm in Penn township. He had few educational ad-
vantages, and began work early, when only nine years
old. earning seventy-five cents a month in addition to
his board and clothing. After the second year his
wages were three dollars a month, and later he was
paid seven dollars a month. Though little more than
a boy when the Civil war broke out he enlisted in the
Union service, entering Company G, 151st Pennsyl-
vania Volunteer Infantry, for nine months, serving
two months overtime on that enlistment. Re-enlisting,
he became a member of Company B. 55th Pennsyl-
vania Volunteer Infantry, for three years, and after
his discharge from that command, in February, 1864.
he again enlisted, serving to the end of the war. The
list of important engagements in which he partici-
pated with his regiment is a long one: Fredericksburg,
Dec. 13, 1862; Getty.sburg. July 1-S, 1863; Oldtown
Creek, May 9. 1864; Proctor's Creek, May 13, 1864;
Drury's Bluff. May 12-16, 1864; Cold Harbor, June 1-3.
1864: Petersburg, June 15-18, 1804; Cemetery Hill, July
30. 1S64; Chapin's Farm, Sept, 29. 1864; Signal Hill,
Dec, 10, 1864; Hatcher's Run. March 30, 1865; Peters-
burg and Richmond, April 2-9, 1865; Rice's Station,
April 6. 1865; and Rappahannock Court House, April
9. 1865. On April 15, 1865. tor meritorious conduct,
Mr. Fahrenbach was promoted to corporal. He had
many thrilling experiences during his service. At the
battle of Chancellorsville he was taken prisoner while
out sharpshooting, but fortunately escaped soon after-
ward. At the battle of Gettysburg he was wounded
three times the first day, in the arm, the abdomen and
the. head, his skull being severely fractured. But he
continued in active service through the three days of
the engagement. He was sent on a dangerous mission
within the Rebel tines, and in the Confederate uniform
made his way into the enemy's camp between Peters-
burg and Richmond, at Bermuda Hundred, finding out
their numbers, plan of campaign and other things of
importance, which he reported to Generals Butler,
Gilmore and Smith, upon his return, three days later.
He subsequently made a similar trip, at Petersburg, and
obtained the desired information without going into
the enemy's lines.

After the close of his military service Mr. Fahren-
bach returned to Penn township, Berks county, where
hf worked upon a farm for a year before moving to
Luzerne county. There he operated a sawmill for
three years, in 1869 returning to Penn township, where
he began farming on his own account, renting two



BIOGRAPHICAL



581



farms, comprising 200 acres, of Daniel Strouse. These
he cultivated until 1892, and in the meantime he had
accumulated considerable propertv, having bought a
farm of 167 acres in 1887. Later he purchased others,
one of 231 acres and another of 114 acres all in Penn
township, cultivating the two larger tracts and renting
the smaller one. He has continued to add to his pos-
sessions, being at present one of the largest land-
owners in his end of Berks county, his holdings now
including 630 acres of valuable land. In 1893 he moved
to Reading, though he did not give up his farming
operations, and in 1905 he put up a fine brick residence
on the place where he now lives in Penn township,
and which is also improved with up-to-date farm
buildings. Mr. Fahrenbach has very valuable limestone
quarries on his land; and burns as many as 30,000 to
35.000 bushels of lime a year.

As an active member of the Democratic party Mr.
Fahrenbach has been prominent in the local councils,
frequently serving as a delegate to county conventions,
and he has also held various public offices. For eleven
years he was a member of the Penn township school
board and for six years served as president of the
board. He was president of the Bernville Cemetery
Association for nine years. In 1893 ,he was elected
sheriff of Berks county, and served one term of three
3'ears, during which time the Italian murderer, Pietro
Buccieri, was hung, in 1893.

Mr. Fahrenbach has taken especial interest in old
home week at Bernville, and was one of the leaders in
that movement, to which he has given much of his
time and attention. In 1907 and 1908 he acted as chief
marshal. He is a prominent member of the Reformed
Church at Bernville, and served as chairman of the
building committee that built the present St. Thomas
Union (Reformed and Lutheran) Church at Bernville in
1897, though he was still living in Reading at that
time. Sunday-school work has always received his
particular attention, and he served as superintendent
of the Penn Valley Sunday-school for a 'period of
twenty-five years. In fraternal societies he is also
very well known, belonging to Williamson Lodge, No.
307, F. & A. M., of Womelsdorf; Excelsior Chapter.
No. 237, R. A. M.; Reading Commandery, No. 42, and
Rajah Temple, A. A. O. N. M. S.— being a thirty-sec-
ond-degree Mason; he also belongs to the Knights of
the Golden Eagle, the Odd Fellows, the Grange, the
Grand Army of the Republic and Star of Welcome
Lodge, No. 60, Shepherds of Bethlehem. In spite of
his many interests and activities Mr. Fahrenbach has
found time to do considerable traveling, having visited
every State in the Union.

In 1866 Mr. Fahrenbach married Mary Ziebach, of
Bernville, and seven children were born to them, five
of whom survive, namely: Sallie, who taught school
ten years, married Rev. W. B. Werner, a minister of
the Reformed Church, of Schweiikville. Montgomery
county, and they have two children, Helen and Emily;
Frank,-who attended Stoner's Business College, taught
eight terms of school, and is now a pure food inspector
for the Government at Cleveland, Ohio (he is married
to (Tora Haag. of Williamsport, and has one son,
Frank); George W. is mentioned below; Mary taught
school before her inarriage to Charles Bender, and is
now living in Penn township (she has one child. George
Frank); Jo-hn H. received his early education in Read-
ing, and is a member of the class of 1909 at Franklin
and Marshall College, Lancaster.

George W. Fahrenbach, M. D., son of George
D., was born in Penn township April 16, 1873, and re-
ceived his early education in the public schools and
Bernville high school. Before taking his professional
course he taught school for six terms, in Robeson,
Lower Alsace and Spring townships, Berks county,
and West Cocalico township, Lancaster county. He
then entered the Baltimore Medical College, graduating
from that institution in 1900, magna cum laude. Im-
mediately afterward he located at Bernville, which he



has since made his field of practice, having a large
clientele in and around the borough. He is a member
of the Berks County Medical Society, the Pennsylvania
State Medical Society and the American Medical As-
sociation. Socially he is connected with the Sons of
Veterans and the I. O. O. F., and he is a member of
St. Thomas Church at Bernville. belonging to the Re-
formed congregation.

Dr. Fahrenbach married Miss Maggie B. Mertz,
daughter of Jacob Mertz, of Reading, and two children
have been born to this union, Margaret and Charles.

AMMON L. HAFER, member of the firm of Hafer
Bros., commission merchants at Reading and promi-
nent factors in the city's business life, was born June
3, 1866, in Exeter township, Berks county. Pa., son of
Samuel R. and Elizabeth G. (Lincoln) Hafer.

John Hafer, great-grandfather of the Hafer brothers,
was a native of Berks county. Pa., and for many
years resided on his farmi in Exeter township, which
he cultivated in addition to working at his trade of
stone mason. He assisted in the erection of the old
Schwartzwald stone church and of Spies's church in
Alsace township. He is recalled as a man of robust
appearance. His first marriage was to Gertrude
Kline. When she died she was interred at the Re-
formed Church cemetery, at Sixth and Washington
streets, Reading, Pa., but later she was reinterred, by
the side of her husband, at the Schwartzwald Church.
His second wiff was Mrs. Diehl (widow), by whom he
had no children. To the first marriage were born:
George m. Ellen Heller, and had children, William.
Phebe, Daniel and Amanda; Daniel m. Chariot Egel-
man, and had children, Charles E., Maryetta, John E.,
Rosetta, Daniel E., Wilhelmina, Edward E. and Anna;
John was twice married, and by his first wife, Rebecca
Esterly, he had four children — George, John, Mary and
Amanda — and by his second wife, Sarah Moyer, he had
— Henry, Westley, and three daughters; Sarah m. Abra-
ham Wien, and had children, John, Rebecca, Sarah and
Samuel; William m. a Miss Lerch, and had two
children, William and Margaret; Mathias m. Rachel
Romig, daughter of Jacob Romig, and had four chil-
dren, Samuel R., Amelia (wife of Daniel Yergey), Susan
(died in infancy) and Anna (widow of Henry L. Gil-
bert) ; Henry m. Julia Eigelman, and had children,
Henry, Heryetta, William, Mary, Augustus, John and
Cyrus; Levi m. a Miss Hoffa, and had children, Adam,
■Emelia. Louisa and another daughter; and Anna m.
Samuel Romich, and had one son. Franklin. All the
family are deceased.

Mathias Hafer, son of John, was born in Alsace
township, Berks county, and died on his farm in Exeter
township, in 1898, aged eighty-two years. He was a
life-long farmer and owned a tract of ten acres of land
on which he lived. Both he and his wife belonged to
the Reformed Church, and they lie buried in the
Schwartzwald cemetery. He married Rachel Romig,
daughter of Jacob Romig, and they had four children,
namely, Samuel R. ; Amelia, wife of Daniel Yergey, re-
siding in Exeter township; Susan, who died in infancy;
and Anna, widow of Henry L. Gilbert.

Samuel R. Hafer, only son of Miathias Hafer, was
born July 8, 1840, in Exeter township, Berks Co., Pa.,
and he attended the old subscription schools when his
parents paid three cents a day for his tuition, his
teacher at that time being Jonathan Moyer. He at-
tended from twenty to sixty days a season and con-
tinued until he was twenty-one years of age. Accord-
ing to the habit of the times he was hired out to neigh-
boring farmers durina; his youth. When eighteen years
of age he came to Exeter Station, where he later be-
came station agent and ennbarked also in a general
store and hotel business, which he continued for eight
years. He then moved to Birdsboro, where, for five
years, he engaged in clerking in George W|. Hain's
general store and assisted also in the lumber and coal
yard. For eight years thereafter he conducted the Co-



582



HISTORY OF BERKS COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



operative Association store, and during President
Cleveland's first administration he served as post-
master at that point. In 1888 he came to Reading and
since May, 1905, he has been bookkeeper for the com-
mission house of Hafer Brothers, his sons. For some
years after his location at Reading. Mr. Hafer con-
ducted a grocery store, for John F. Reifsnyder, whom
he later bought out. In 1864, he married Elizabeth G.
Lincoln, daughter of John D. Lincoln, a distant relative
of the great President. They have five children, namely:
Ammon L.; Adelle, wife of John Seigfried; Samuel L.;
Matthias L., a grocery merchant at Reading; and
Rachel, wife of Harry McKinney, a furniture merchant
at Reading. Samuel R. Hafer is a member of the Re-
formed Church.

Ammon L. Hafer was educated in the public schools
at Birdsboro, where his boyhood was spent, and at an
early age he commenced to work as a clerk in a store
•in that town, and later went to work in the Brooke
Nail Factory, at Birdsboro. In 1S87 he came to Read-
ing, and for two years he drove a team for Daniel S.
Esterly, wholesale grocer. In 1889, he entered the em-
ploy of John F. Reifsnyder, commission and produce
merchant, at Reading, 'both he and his brother,
this house for seventeen years, both he and his brother,
Samuel L.. becoming silent partners. In March, 1905,
Mr. Reifsnyder died, and on May 1st, following, Hafer
Brothers became sole owners, purchasing the good will,
stock, and fixtures, as per agreement.

In ,1895 Ammon L. Hafer married Nellie Lebkicher,
daughter of Alfred Lebkicher, of Reading, and they
have one son, Lloyd A. Mr. Hafer belongs to Progres-
sive Lodge, No. 470, I. O. O. F., Reading. He is a mem-
ber of the Second Reformed Church, and was an official
of the Birdsboro Reformed Church, prior to coming to
Reading.

Samuel L. Hafee, member of the firm of Hafer
Brothers, the largest wholesale commission merchants
at Reading, was born Sept. 30, 1870, in Exeter town-
ship, Berks Co., Pa. His schooling was obtained at
Birdsboro, and when sixteen years of age he became
a clerk for J. H. Brindley, of that place, with whom he
remained for three years. When nineteen years of age
he became a salesman for John F. Reifsnyder, com-
mission merchant at Reading, with whom he continued
two years and then took service with M. B. Slichter &
Co., at No. 6 South Sixth street. One year after, he
became a salesman for still another commission firm,
Claus & Silvas, where he remained for two years, when
both he and his brother Ammon L. became silent part-
ners with the late John F. Reifsnyder — a partnership
which continued until May 1, 1905. On that date the
firm of Hafer Brothers became sole owners, Mr. Reif-
snyder having died in the previous March. The mem-
bers of the firm are successful business men of high
repute, and they do the largest produce business in
Berks county. They employ fifteen men, and have six
teams in constant use. They have established trade re-
lations Avhich make them tlie leaders in the wholesale
commission line at Reading.

In 1890 Samuel L. Hafer married Ida M. Endy, and
they have three children: Earl E., Paul E., and Nellie
M. The eldest son is a graduate of the Interstate
Business College at Reading, of the class of 1906, and
he now fills a lucrative position as clerk for the Read-
ing Iron Works. The other son and the daughter are
still at school. Mr. Hafer and family are members of
the Second Reformed Church at Reading, a religious
body to which the family has been faithful for genera-
tions. He is an Odd Fellow, and belongs to Progressive
Lodge, No. 470, at Reading.

JAMES B. LEINBACH. a retired citizen residing
in Friedensburg, and one of the best known musicians
in Berks county, was born in Oley township, July 10,
1846, son of Daniel S. and Susanna H. (Barto) Lein-
bach, and a member of one of the oldest and most
prominent families of the county.



The earliest known ancestors of the Leinbachs of
Berks county were Henry Leinbach and his wife Bar-
bara Lerch, of Wetterau, Germany. From them the
line of descent to James B. Leinbach is through Johan-
nes, Sr., and Anna Elizabeth (Kleiss) ; Johannes, Jr.,
and Catharine (Riehm) ; John Daniel and Mary Mag-
dalena (Hartman); Benjamin and Catharine (Snyderj ;
and Daniel S. and Susanna H. (Barto).

Benjamin Leinbach, son of John Daniel, and grand-
father of James B., was born on his father's home-
stead in Oley township, Sept. 25, 1793, and his sponsors
\vere Benjamin and Margaret Leinbach. He died in
Oley Oct. 39, 1851. By trade he was a tailor, and he
followed that occupation in his neighborhood for many
years. In those days it was customary for the tailors
to visit the farmers, and make the clothes for the fam-
ily. These clothes were of home spun, the pioneers
raising their own flax and weaving the cloth, Mr.
Leinbach was buried at Friedensburg. He was twice
m.arried. His first wife, Catharine Snyder, was a
daughter of Daniel Snyder, of Exeter township. She
bore him three sons and two daughters: Daniel S.;
Augustus, died without issue; Dr. Benjamin died with-
out family; Lucy Ann m. Benjamin Ritter, and died
leaving no children; and Hannah m. William Glase,
and reared a large family. Mr. Leinbach m. (second)
Catharine Guldin, and two children were born of this
marriage: Sarah died in 1908, aged seventy-six years,
unmarried; and Israel G. died in 1907, aged seventy-
two years, leaving children — Benjamin, Charles and
Emma (wife of Aaron Grim).

Daniel S. Leinbach, son of Benjamin, was born in
Oley township Feb. 24, 1819, and he died Jan. 3, 1881.
In his earlier life he was a farmer, but later became
associated as clerk with B. A. Glase in his large general
store. His last years were passed in Friedensburg,
and the last year of his life he lived retired, in the
residence now occupied by his son, James B. He mar-
ried Susanna H. Barto, daughter of Benjamin and
Catharine (Hunter) Barto. She was born Nov, 16, 182-5,
and died April 17, 1901. They had one son, James B,

James B, Leinbach was reared under the parental
roof, and obtained his education in Oley Academy un-
der the instruction of Dr, D. M. Wolf. In 1867, Prof.
John S. Ermentrout licensed him to teach, and for
twelve consecutive terms he was in charge of the
Palm school in his native township. When only ten
years of age he began his musical education under
Samuel Fellen, a native German of high ability, and
later he passed under the instruction of Frederick Herr-
mann, a student of Leipsic University. In 1867 he be-
gan teaching music to the youth of his own district,
having from thirty to forty pupils in Oley and sur-
rounding townships. Since 1863 he has served as
church organist, beginning that year in Friedens Church
in Oley township, and in 1871 he went to Schwartzwald
congregation; from 1875 to 1886 he served the congre-
gation at New Jerusalem in Rockland township. He
has officiated at more than two thousand funerals. He
and his family belong to the Reformed Congregation
at Friedensburg. Since 1893 he has served as an elder,
and in 1908 was made superintendent of the Sunday
school. He has always been active in Sunday school
work, becoming a teacher when he was only fourteen
years old. In politics he is a Republican, and always
takes a keen interest in his party's welfare.

Since his retirement from active business, he has
devoted his time to the management of his farms. Two
of these came under his supervision through his wife,
one in Exeter containing 135 acres, and one in Spring
township, 130 acres.

On May 27, 1875, Mr. Leinbach married Amelia Sail-
er, daughter of Adam H. and Mar" Ann (Gring) Sailer.
Two children have been born of this union: (1) Clem-
ent Waldo, a graduate of Franklin and Marshall Col-
lege, class of 1898, taught school for four terms in the
Oley township high school, and since the spring of
1907 has been connected with A. J, Brumbach's pants
factory. He m. Chrissie Miller, daughter of Henry



BIOGRAPHICAL



583



Miller, of Monroe county and has three children: Mary
Evelyn, Anna Magdalene and Margaret Genevieve. (2)
Rev. Henry Jerome was educated in Oley Academy,
Franklin and Marshall College, class of 1901, and the
Theological Seminary of the Reformed Church of the
United States, at Lancaster, Pa., graduating in 1904. He
was ordained and licensed the same year at Reading,
and for upwards of three years served Olivet congrega-
tion, Reading, but in the fall of 1907 accepted a call to
Jonestown, Lebanon county. He m. Mary Snavely,
daughter of George Snavely, of Spangsville, and has a
son, Carl.

GEORGE W. DELANY, secretary of the Reading
Iron Company, which employs about five thousand
men, enjoys the distinction of having been private
secretary to three Reading railroad presidents. His an-
cestors came from France, Germany and Ireland, and
his father, Henry Delany, who was born in New York,
became a shoe dealer in Philadelphia, where he died
in January, 1904. aged seventy-two years. Henry De-
lany married Johanna Houck, daughter of William H.
Houck, a manufacturing saddler of Easton, Pa, :iix
of the ten children born of this union are living,
and of these George W. is the eldest.

George W. Delany was born in Philadelphia Aug.
10, 1860, and after receiving an education in the public
schools, entered the Reading Railroad service as a
junior clerk, and he remained with that road for fif-
teen years, having been during that time stenographer
and private secretary to George de B. Keim, president
of the Reading system. Later he held the same rela-
tion to Franklin B. Gowen, who also was president, and
a month after the death of the latter, in December,
1889, settled in Reading in a similar position under
George F. Baer, the present president of the company,
retaining that position until October, 1900, when he
became secretary of the Reading Iron Company. Mr.
Delany is also secretary of the Deer Park Land Com-
pany, was for three years treasurer of the Berkshire
Country Club, and is now a member of the board of
directors and secretary of the club, having resigned the
treasurership on account of its onerous duties.

Mr. Delany was married April 14, 1891, to May B.
Rothenhausler, daughter of J. N. Rothenhausler, a
wholesale dealer in glass and crockery ware in Phila-



Online LibraryMorton L. (Morton Luther) MontgomeryHistorical and biographical annals of Berks County, Pennsylvania, embracing a concise history of the county and a genealogical and biographical record of representative families, comp. by Morton L. Montgomery .. → online text (page 162 of 227)