Morton L. (Morton Luther) Montgomery.

Historical and biographical annals of Berks County, Pennsylvania, embracing a concise history of the county and a genealogical and biographical record of representative families, comp. by Morton L. Montgomery .. online

. (page 168 of 227)
Online LibraryMorton L. (Morton Luther) MontgomeryHistorical and biographical annals of Berks County, Pennsylvania, embracing a concise history of the county and a genealogical and biographical record of representative families, comp. by Morton L. Montgomery .. → online text (page 168 of 227)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


John and Jjacob Martin, early settlers of Windsor Jacob Anthony was born in Northampton countv

township, who were already settled here in 1759, when and there learned his trade of carpenter He met an

the first tax of the district was. levied, and who it is accidental death in the car shops at Packerton when

thought came to America about 1743. Samuel J. Mar- he was fifty-three years old, and he is buried at Cherrv-

tin, son of John and grandfather of Adam S., was ville, Northampton county. He was a member of the

born May 9, 1799, and lived in Windsor township, Lutheran Church and a most respected citizen Tacob

where he died Oct. 2 1871. He married Esther Breit- Anthony married Elizabeth Reber and to them were

igan (1795-1865), and they were the parents of the born the following named children: Catharine, Mary ■

following children: Benneville died at the age of sev- Elizabeth. Lewis, Lucy. Malinda William B John

enty-two years; Elizabeth died at the age of seventy; and Ellen '

Sarah died at the. age of forty-one; Rebecca died aged William B. Anthony attended the schools of North-
eighty; Joseph died at the age of fifty-one; Samuel; ampton county, and when twenty years old went to
^'"f^-M^'^ 7\'" ^^^^"'y-i"" - y"" old; Mary died learn the milling trade, which has been h°s lifl work
in childhood; James, aged seventy-five, now resides He spent three years with the Mnn<;pr Mill rrr,-„T,,^ /
at Port Clinton, Pa-; William died aged forty-eight; at Tr'eichlers, \i^d tL^ for two ^ears ^as whirtYe
and Israel died aged fifty-two. Samuel J and Esther Wolfe Company of ChambersburgfoundTrs and man-
Martin are buried in the old graveyard at Hamburg. ufacturers of mill machinery, engaged as a salesma^i

Samuel Martin was born in 1838, in Windsor town- and in the erection of mill macWnery hIs next To-

ship and was a lifelong boatman, liymg at Hamburg cation was at Centerville, Md., where he remained for

and Leesport, and in later years removing to New York, three years, thence moving to Cedarville near Allen



BIOGRAPHICAL



599



town, Lehigh Co., Pa., where he had charge of a
mill for L. H. Lichtenwalner for one year. At the
end of that time he went to Womelsdorf, Berks county,
where he engaged in business on his own account,
staying at that place for three years, until he came to
Strausstown, in 1894. Here he bought out the Webber
estate and engaged in the business to which he has
since given his time. His mill is considered the most
thoroughly up-to-date in the county, if not in the State,
the present structure, a three-story and basement stone
and brick building, having been completed in 1907 and
equipped with all the most approved modern machin-
ery. The old mill was burned May 24, 1907, Mr. An-
thony suffering great loss of both capital and business,
but he did not despair or lose any time rehabilitating
his establishment, beginning work upon his new mill
injune, 1907. It is a model plant, equipped with a
thirty horsepower auto gasoline engine and a large
water-wheel eighteen feet in diameter and four and a
half feet wide, known as the I X L steel over-shot water
wheel. Mr. Anthony manufactures and deals in high-
grade roller Rfocess flour for family and bakers' uses,
also grain, mill feed and allied products. The brand
of flour of which he makes a specialty as a manufactur-
er is a fancy patent known as "Snoflake," for which
there is a large and steady demand; it is sold mostly
in Schuylkill county. There are fourteen acres of land
connected with the mill property, about six acres being
under cultivation. Mr. Anthony is a wide-awake busi-
ness man, as his enterprising methods and large pat-
ronage testify. He stands high in the community, both
as a man of intelligence and high standards, one whose
work has contributed to the growth of his section.

Mr. Anthony married Mary A. Mertz, daughter of
Reuben Mertz, of Lehigh county, Pa., and eight child-
ren have blessed this union: Harry W. (m. Florence
Battinger), Ida M. (m. Howard Spatz), Bertha M.,
Howard J., Esther L., George M., Charles A. and
Paul R. Mr. Anthony is a member of the Lutheran
Church, and his wife belongs to the Reformed Church.
Socially he holds membership in the P. O. S. of A., the
I. O. O. F., and the Ridgely Association.

REUBEN G. SH ALTER. On the loster of the rep-
resentative business men of the city of Reading is
to be found the name of Reuben G. Shalter, manager
of the Reading Lumber Company. He is a native of
Berks county, where the family was established at
an early day, and was born in Muhlenberg township,
in 1843, son of Jacob and Henrietta (Getz) Shalter,
both of whom are deceased.

The, name Shalter is also spelled Schalter. Frantz
Shalter (1735-1813), of Maiden-creek township, left a
will, which is on record in Book D, page 173. Of this
Michael Shalter was the executor, and in it are men-
tioned his wife Elizabeth; son Michael, who obtained
the homestead; son Jacob, who obtained the planta-
tion in Alsace; and sons-in-law, Samuel Bernhard,
Abraham Kissinger, Daniel Kershner and Peter Roth-
enberger. The Federal census of 1790 records that
France. Shalter, of Maiden-creek, had two sons under
sixteen years, and two daughters.

Jacob Shalter, son of Frantz, was born in 1777, and
died in 1853, and is buried at Gernand's Church, in
Ontelaunee township, as is also his wife Susanna, born
1784, died 1841.

Jacob Shalter, son of Jacob and Susanna, and father
of Reuben G., followed the vocation of farming
throughout his entire life and was a resident of North-
umberland county, this State, at the time of his de-
mise, which occurred in 1862. His wife, Henrietta
Getz, survived him many years, and died in 1888. Both
were zealous and consistent members of the Luth-
eran church. They became the parents of twelve
children, namely: Jonathan; Sarah A.; a daughter
died in infancy; Sarah C. m. Reuben Hoffa; Amanda
m. Jacob Hoffman; Elizabeth died at the age of thir-
teen years; Emma m. John Sheetz; Otilia m. Franklin



Albright; Henrietta died in childhood; Reuben G. is
mentioned below; Jacob; and James.

When Reuben G. Shalter was a child his parents
removed to Northumberland county, and in the public
schools there he received his early educational train-
ing, and continue^d to maintain his home there for
twenty years. Since then he has been a resident of
Reading. He remained on the home farm until he
attained his majority, and for several years was part-
ly engaged at teaching in the country _ schools, at
somewhat irregular intervals. Upon locating in Read-
ing he identified himself with the lumber business*, in
which he became associated with Reuben Hoffa, his
brother-in-law, continuing thus until 1886, when he be-
came one of the organizers of the Reading Lumber
Company, and with this he has since been identified
owning a one-third interest. The enterprise is one of
broad scope, and the thriving business has been built
up largely through the effective efforts of Mr. Shalter,
who is manager of the concern.

Mir. Shalter is recognized as a liberal and public-
spirited citizen and stibstantial business man. In pol-
itics he maintains an independent attitude, giving his
support to the men, and measures which meet the ap-
proval of his judgment. He and his wife are members
of Trinity Lutheran Church, and are active in the
various departments of church work.

In 1876 he married Miss Amanda R. Zacharias, who
was born and reared in Berks county, daughter of the
late Daniel Zacharias. To this union children were born
as follows: Carrie, m. to John Spayd; Charles G.,
who died in childhood; James E., in the employ of the
Philadelphia & Reading Company; John Z., who holds
a clerical position in the postoffice at Chicago, 111.;
Franklin, who is employed by the Reading Lumber
Company; Charles (2), deceased; and Florence R., at
home.



Dietrich Shalter, a brother of Frantz of Maiden-
creek, was a pioneer in Alsace township, where he
owned land. The Federal census of 1790 records that
"Didrich" Shalter was the head of a family of three
sons, one over sixteen years of age, and one daughter.

Dieter Schalter (or Shalter), a son, was a farmer in
Alsace, and was married to a Miss Miller. Their
children were: Benjamin, Reuben, Magdalena (m. Levi
Guldin); and Charles.

Benjamin Shalter, son of Dieter, became a promi-
nent man in Alsace township, where he was born in
1813. He died in August, 1883. He married Louisa
Mosser, and their six children were: Amanda m.
John Gring, of Temple, Pa.; Jeremius died unmarried;
Rebecca m. Albert Knabb, of Reading; Luzetta m.
Penrose Wright (deceased), and lived first in Maiden-
creek, but later in Red Lodge, Moi.t; Kate m. (first)
Jacob Schmehl, whose children were, Lovina (m.
Wash Guldin), Mary (m. Samuel Delp) and Augustus
(of Kutztown), and (second) Charles S. Yocum; and
Appolonius is a farmer on the Alsace homestead.

Benjamin Shalter donated a part of his land for
Shalter's church in Alsace, and on April 9, 1860. the
corner stone of the first church was laid. The building
is a two-story stone structure, plastered and painted
in imitation of brick. It was thoroughly renovated
and newly carpeted in 1907, and, together with a re-
cently purchased addition to the cemetery, rededicated
with appropriate ceremonies. The farm surrounding
the church yard is now the property of Appolonius
Shalter, a son of Benjamin.

DANIEL H. MILLER, one of the venerable citi-
zens of Spring township, Berks county. Pa., was born
at Sinking Spring, August 20, 1835, on the Miller home-
stead, son of Capt. Daniel and Mary (Hain) Miller.

Sebastian Miller, grandfather of Daniel H., was a
native of the Fatherland, who settled in Cumru town-
ship some years prior to the 'outbreak of the Revolu-
tionary war. In that great struggTe he bore arms, as



600



HISTORY OF BERKS COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



captain of the 7th company of the Berks County Mili-
tia, which on May 17, 1777, was in active service, his
ofificers being First Lieutenant. Adam Ruth, Second
Lieutenant. John Gernant, Ensign, John Ruth, and
Courtmartialmen Michael Ruth and Peter Fisher.
Captain Miller was a farmer by occupation and gave
each of his sons a large property, Sebastian obtaining
the farm at Adamstown, on which was also a tannery;
John, a farm at Sinking Spring; Henry, a farm in
Cumru township; Capt. Daniel, the property now m
the possession of Daniel H. Miller, of Sinking Spring;
and Benjamin, the farm near Fritztown, now in the
possession of John Miller, a descendant. Capt. Sebas-
tian Miller was a man of more than ordinary intelli-
gence, was a man of courage and enterprise, and was
esteemed and respected by all who knew him. He was
buried in the Sinking Spring burial ground, adjoining
the church. Captain Miller's sons were: (1) Sebastian
married Catherine Gernand. (2) Johannes born March
30, 1773, died Nov. 7, 1836; he married, in 1789, Hannah
Ludwig, and they had six sons and three daughters,
two of the former and one of the latter dying in in-
fancy. (3) Henry. (4) Benjamin. (5) George mar-
ried Susanna Ruth. (6) Captain Daniel. Capt. Se-
bastian Miller also had several daughters, one of whom
married a Ruth, and another a Gernand.

Capt. Daniel Miller, father of Daniel H.. was born
on the Miller homestead at Sinking Spring, May 2,
1789, and died there Feb. 6, 1844. aged fifty-four years,
nine months, four days. He was first corporal in
Capt. Henry Willotz's company, which was at York
from Aug. 28, 1814, to March 5, 1815, and subsequently
he was commissioned captain by Gov. Joseph Hies-
ter of Pennsylvania. He was an active official in
military affairs of Berks county, and was known and
recognized as an authority on such matters. Captain
Miller owned the property now in the possession of
David G. Miller, of Sinking Spring, a descendant, ^nd
was a lifelong agriculturist, becoming well and favor-
ably known in his community. He married Polly
(Mary) Hain, born Oct. 14, 1801, who died May 23,
1884. daughter of Frederick Hain, also a captain dur-
ing the Revolutionary war. To this union were born:
Hiram (born Sept. 21, 1821, died June 1. 1877) spent
his life at Sinking Spring, where he married Ephia
(1817-1873), and had one son, John M., of Reading;
Isaac, who settled in Freeport, 111., had two child-
ren, Milton (a very wealthy citizen of Mexico) and
Hannah (who died unmarried); Sebastian, a farmer
of Danville, 111., had three children — Harry, Ellen
and Daniel; Jennie married Percy G. Smith, a clerk
in the War Department, Washington, D. C. ; Frederick
lived in Oakland, Cal.; Daniel H.; Miss Katherine
lives on the old place; and Elizabeth married Jandon
Smith, and resided at Williamsport for many years.

Daniel H. Miller attended the old eight-cornered
schoolhouse located on the Van Reed road, for some
winters, his teacher being Prof. Henry Stetler, of
Chester county. He was reared on his father's farm,
and until fourteen years of age lived with his parents.
then engaging in school teaching for two terms at
the old Steffey schoolhouse, and one term, in 1867, at
the Springs. He attended Graybill's Commercial
school at Reading for nine months, and then resumed
teaching, the school term lasting but four months, and
the salary being one dollar per day.

In the spring of 1854 Mr. Miller, Dr. Fisborn, and
Rev. Eugene Van Reed, went to California, settling in
Sierra county, where Mr. Miller engaged in mining,
conducting the Pennsylvania Company, which was
located twenty miles north of a town called Minnesota.
He remained in California for thirteen years, and was
fairly successful, also traveling in Oregon, Washing-
ton, Mexico, Cuba, Panama, and the Central West of
the LTnited States, Virginia, New Jersey and other
parts of this country. In the fall of 1866 he returned
to Berks county, where he has since remained. In
1894 Mr. Miller erected a fine brick residence on Flying



Hill avenue, and here he now lives in quiet retireinent.
In politics he is an independent Republican, and from
1884 until 1904 served as supervisor of Spring town-
ship, a period of twenty years. He is a member of the
Jr. O. U. A. M., of Sinking Spring. He and his family
are Reformed members of St. John's Union Church, of
which he was a deacon.

In 1868 Mr. Miller was married to Rebecca Reber,
born in 1845. daughter of Joel and Lovina (Faust)
Reber, of Heidelberg township. Mr. and Mrs. Miller
have two sons, namely: George, born Feb. 19, 1872,
who married Ella Frankhauser, has two children —
Esther and D. Shelton, is a dealer in horses and re-
sides with his parents; and T. Norris.

J. Norris Miller, one of Sinking Spring's well known
young men, was born Oct. 31, 1874, received his educa-
tion in the local schools, and was licensed to teach,
although he has never followed that profession. He has
spent all of his active life in dealinsr in horses, and
in this line has been very successful, being judged a
capable business man and substantial citizen. In poli-
tics he is a Republican. His religious connection is
with St. John's Lutheran Church, wheise. since 1899,
he has been treasurer of the Sunday-school. In April,
1896, Mr. Miller was married to Alice M. Huyett,
daughter of Charles H. and Elizabeth (Beidler) Huy-
ett, and one son, Warren H., has been born to this
union.

JACOB NOLDE, of Reading, has had a business
career which can find few parallels in the industrial his-
tory of Berks county. As the head of the Nolde & Horst
Company, manufacturers of hosiery, who have established
at this point one of the largest plants of the kind in the
United States, his operations bear an important relation
to the prosperity of the city. The fifteen hundred em-
ployes of this immense concern form a large propor-
tion of its industrial population.

Old-established families and native-born residents of
this section are so numerous that Mr. Nolde's residence
in Reading, dating from the year 1888, seems compara-
tively brief. Its influence in increasing the wealth of the
community is not to be measured by years. The profitable
operation of so large an establishment as that conducted
by the Nolde & Horst Company affects the welfare of many
other lines, and the flourishing condition of this business
has attracted to the vicinity various other desirable en-
terprises. Mr. Nolde is familiar with the practical work
of the mills as well as with their management, and he
deserves his full share of credit due for their won-
derful development. The manner in which he has forged
his way to the front proves him worthy of the high
position he has attained.

Jacob Nolde was born in Berleburg, Westphalia, Ger-
many, in the year 1859, and received the excellent educa-
tional advantages of the schools of his native land.
Until he came to America, in 1880, he was engaged as
traveling salesman for a clothing house. His first location
in this country was at Stony Creek, Berks county, Pa.,
where he found employment as a weaver with Louis
Kraemer & Co., with whom he continued until he en-
gaged in business on his own account. When Louis
Kraemer & Co. started the Nazareth Manufacturinir Com-
pany, in Northampton county, Pa., Mr. Nolde accom-
panied them, remaining there until the spring of 1888,
when he disposed of his interests and came to Reading.
The Nazareth Manufacturing Company were converting
their knitting-mill into a factory devoted exclusively
to the production of underwear, and Mr. Nolde purchased
their seamless half hose machinery, which comprised
twenty machines and the necessary auxiliaries. This
modest equipment has proved to be the nucleus of one
of the largest and most completely appointed factories in
the country. The machines were installed in the Thal-
heimer building, at No. 143 Cedar street, Reading. But
within a very short time the business outgrew these
quarters, and in the spring of 1890 Mr. Nolde found
more adequate accommodations at No. 222 Cedar street,




r Bsers .1^ Cc



S^ jT ^ ^'''7iY,a~Ts dB-^-Yf'



JUo o^ <^^c^



BIOGRAPHICAL



601



in a building 45x100 feet in dimensions. While he was
in that location he admitted Mr. George Horst to a
partnership in the business, and they have been asso-
ciated ever since. Purchasing the property, they carried
on operations there until the year 1893, by which time
they had reached the conclusion that it would be econ-
omy to have a building especially adapted to the' needs
of the growing industry. Consequently they invested
in a lot 100 feet square, on Moss street, beyond Douglass,
upon which they erected a three-story and basement fac-
tory 50 X 100 feet. It was a model plant of its kind
in every particular, and doubtless gave the ambitious
young partners more pleasure than theif mature natures
have found in the present immense factory. Their ex-
pensive venture was followed shortly by the panic of
1893, but wise administration and indomitable effort soon
made them masters of the situation, and the new in-
dustry weathered the storm with such skill that it suffered
no decline.

The firm was now finding itself in a position to cope
with the large manufacturers, and to be regarded by
them as competitors worthy of attention. Up to this time
the products of the factory had been a cheap class of
goods, but when the fast black and tan goods came to
be generally favored they found it necessary to meet
the popular demand, and in order to facilitate their work
opened a finishing establishment in Philadelphia. Mr.
Horst took charge of the new branch, Mr. Nolde retain-
ing the management of the Reading plant, and this
arrangement lasted until the concern was incorporated,
in 1897. It had previously been conducted on a part-
nership basis.

After, the incorporation the Nolde & Horst Company
purchased a tract of land adjoining the first lot, 100x160
feet in dimensions, and built an extension 32 x 160 feet,
as w€ll as a wing 50x100 feet, a dye-house and an
engine-room. This gave them facilities for operating
four hundred knitting machines, furnishing employment
to five hundred hands. On Dec. 7, 1899, fire destroyed
almost the entire plant, only the dye-house and boiler
remaining. But this disaster in no way retarded the
progress, of the: business. The debris was cleared away
at once, and by May 1, 1900, within five months, the
knitting mills were again in full working order, with im-
proved equipment, all the new machinery installed being
of the latest models. Moreover, extraordinary precautions
were taken against a repetition of the catastrophe and to
insure the safety of all employed in the building, which
was provided throughout with the most approved fire escapes.

The steady expansion of trade has since called for
several additions. In 1903 two extensions, 60 x 33 feet
and 50 X 100 feet, respectively, three stories and base-
ment, were made. In 1905 two more of the same dimen-
sions were found necessary, and the same year the dye-
house was enlarged by an addition 40x130 feet. On the
Ninth street side of the property another building, 50 x 380
feet; has been erected, increasing the floor space to the
remarkable area of 230,000 square feet — over five acres.
Fifteen hundred people are regularly employed in turn-
ing out the product of this vast establishment, and when
the addition now being niade is open the force will be
increased to two thousand. There are only a few metro-
politan establishments which have a showing to be com-
pared with this. The output of this factory is confined
to hosiery, but the Nolde & Horst Company are also
interested in another establishment of similar nature, a
large glove factory 50x310 feet, five stories in height,
for the manufacture of silk gloves exclusively. More-
over, since their operations have attained such enormous
proportions, they have found it practicable to extend
their attention to allied enterprises, and they are inter-
ested in the Windsor Machine Company, manufacturing
all their own knitting machines. Excellent management
in this and in other respects has not only proved econom-
ical, but has facilitated the work in many ways and
improved labor conditions for the operatives as well
as commercial opportunities for the management.



This record of the success of the Nolde & Horst Com-
pany and allied interests is in reality the story of Mr.
Nolde's life. He has always been a man gi action and
able to attend faithfully to many affairs, but nevertheless
his ambition, his enthusiasm and his best efforts have been
devoted to the building up of the concern of which he
stands at the head. His energies have found expression
in the improvement of every branch of the business, for
having been a practical worker himself he understands
the necessities of the operative as well as the directive
department. The establishment has enhanced the indus-
trial standing of Reading to such an extent that it is
regarded with high favor by both capitalists and_ workers.
Mr. Nolde is prominently connected with two important
financial institutions of Reading, being a director of the
Keystone National Bank, and the Colonial Trust Com-
pany. His standing is irreproachable.

Personally Mr. Nolde is well known as a member of
the B. P. O. E. and a high Mason, his Masonic associa-
tions including membership in Teutonia Lodge, F. &
A. M., the Chapter, the Commandery and Rajah Temple,
A. A. O. N. M. S. He has been twice married, his
first union, which took place in 1889, having been to
Lydia Lorah, who passed away in 1893. She was the
mother of two children, Carl and Ella, both of whom
are at home. His present wife was Louisa Horst, sister
of his business partner, George Horst, and to them
have been born four children, George, Lena, Hans and
Louisa. Mr. and Mrs. Nolde are active members of
Zion Reformed Church, with which Mr. Nolde united
as a charter member. He has acted as secretary of the
church organization since 1893.

AUGUSTUS S. FLICKER, deceased, known among
the hotel men of , Reading, Pa., and for fourteen
years the proprietor of the "Merchants Hotel" of that
city, was born in Oley township, Berks county, Aug.
22, 1847, son of Jeremiah and Mary (Swavely) Flicker,
and died Nov. 28, 1900.

The Flicker family has its origin in Christian Flick-
er, who located in the hills of Earl township, Berks
county, about the close of the American Revolution,
in which war he is said to have fought against his will,
in King George's Army. He was a German, and came
from Brunswick or Hessen. In 1790 the Federal census
report records him the head of a family consisting
of five persons, made up of himself and wife, one



Online LibraryMorton L. (Morton Luther) MontgomeryHistorical and biographical annals of Berks County, Pennsylvania, embracing a concise history of the county and a genealogical and biographical record of representative families, comp. by Morton L. Montgomery .. → online text (page 168 of 227)