Morton L. (Morton Luther) Montgomery.

Historical and biographical annals of Berks County, Pennsylvania, embracing a concise history of the county and a genealogical and biographical record of representative families, comp. by Morton L. Montgomery .. online

. (page 17 of 227)
Online LibraryMorton L. (Morton Luther) MontgomeryHistorical and biographical annals of Berks County, Pennsylvania, embracing a concise history of the county and a genealogical and biographical record of representative families, comp. by Morton L. Montgomery .. → online text (page 17 of 227)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


unostentatious, earnest and clever, with good edu-
cation and large means, they occupied a position
which was eminently respectable, and this they
maintained for many years after they had lost con-
trol of political power.

Baptist. — The first Baptist church in Pennsyl-
vania was established in IGSS at Pennypack (now
called Lower Dublin). In 1738, a number of Bap-
tists removed from Chester and Philadelphia coun-
ties and settled near the banks of the Tulpehocken
creek, founding the Tulpehocken Baptist church,
and Thom'as Jones was ordained the pastor. The
congregation had two meeting-houses. The first
was built in 1740 on a lot of three acres, the gift
of Hugh Morris, Evan Lloyd and Evan Price, in
the township of Cumru, on the Wyomissing creek,
about two miles from its outlet in the Schuylkill.
The building was only 26 by 16 feet.

Another building of the same size, about three
miles west from the first, was built the same year



EDUCATION IN COUNTY



47



on a lot of one acre, the gift of Thomas Bartholo-
mew and Hannaniah Pugh. This was at a point
on the "Old Tulpehocken Road," now "Sinking
Spring." The building is still standing but con-
verted into a dwelling. It is built of brick, octa-
gonal in shape. A graveyard lies at the rear, with
a number of graves marked by headstones, now il-
legible.

The church (with Mr. Jones as pastor) reported
annually until 1774, when its name disappears
from: the records of the Baptist Association, the
pastor about that time having removed to Chester
county. From that time until now, no church or-
ganization of this denomination has been in the
county outside of Reading.

DuNKAED. — A religious denomination known as
the "Dunkards" existed at an early day in the
county. It was also called "The Brethren" and
sometimes "German Baptists." Certain persons of
this denomination emigrated from Germany in 1719.
In 1734, they held a large general convention in this
district. Another convention was held in Oley in
1742, which was attended by "four priests of the
congregation at Ephrata."

A meeting-house of this denomination was erectr
en in Ruscombmanor (at Pricetown), and an-
other in Bethel (north of Millersburg) , before 1752.
The Dunkards were numerous in Oley from 1730
to 1745.

Another congregation was formed in the north-
western section of the county, and comprised set-
tlers in Bethel and Tulpehocken townships. They
erected a church in the former township, along a
branch of the Little Swatara creek, about the year
1745.

There was also a third congregation in Bern
and Upper Tulpehocken townships, along the
Northkill, several miles above the confluence of this
stream with the Tulpehocken. A church was erect-
ed in 1748. In 1750 Elder George Klein came from
New Jersey and settled amongst the members.
Through his energy the congregation flourished for
twenty years. Then settlements in the western part
of the State influenced most of the members to move
away. This left the congregation without sufficient
support, and it naturally ceased to exist.

Moravian. — The Moravians were among the
early settlers of the county. This peculiar sect was
represented here by Count Zinzendorf, *who came
to Pennsylvania in 1741. In 1742, he conducted
a synod in Oley; and afterward visited the inhabi-
tants of Tulpehocken. Shortly after this visit, a con-
gregation of Moravians was organized in Bethel
township. Between 1742 and 1750 two churches
were erected in Heidelberg, and one in Oley.

In September, 1742, Count Zinzendorf visited
Shamokin, accompanied by Conrad Weiser, and
they co-operated with the Moravians for several
years. Tobias Beckel and George Beckel, brothers,
from Turkheim, in Rhenish-Bavaria, immigrated to
Pennsylvania in the fall of 1736 and settled in this
part of the province, the former in Heidelberg



township, south of Tulpehocken creek, and the lat-
ter in Bern township, along the Schuylkill river.
They organized small congregations and preached
to them. Several years afterward, George Beckel
removed to the northern portion of Heidelberg and
there carried on his ministrations in a church which
was erected on land donated by his brother.

Andrew Aschenbach was one of the pioneers of
the Moravians in this vicinity. He settled in Oley
in 1740, and preached for two years with great suc-
cess. Zinzendorf was deeply interested in this con-
gregation and devoted much time to its affairs.
Some years afterward disagreements arose between
Aschenbach and the members, and these continued
until the Moravians lost all their influence; and by
1765 the church was abandoned.

Amish. — The Amish denomination is a branch
of the Mennonites. The first bishop in this vicinity
(comprising Berks, Chester and Lancaster counties)
was Jacob Mast, who settled here in 1750, when
a boy about twelve years old, and began to exhort
and preach about 1765. He continued in active and
faithful service for many years. The second bishop
was Peter Plank, who moved from Oley and settled
in Caernarvon. And the third was John P Mast,
who officiated as a faithful and devoted minister for
nearly fifty years. His father, Daniel Mast, had
been a minister from 1830 till 1883.

At one time there were three other congregations
in the county — one in Cumru, one in Maiden-creek
and the third in Bern township (called Northkill).

Roman Catholic. — The early settlers of the
county until 1740, were entirely Protestants. Then
the Roman Catholics appeared. Their number was
very small compared with the number of the other
denominations. The Protestants having been driven'
here by religious persecution, caused by the Roman
Catholic religion, and feeling the terrors of this per-
secution, it was natural for them to discourage this
religion from obtaining a fogthold in their midst;
which accounts for the strength of the one class
and the weakness of the other. In 1741 the Roman
Catholics had a congregation and meeting-house in
the extreme eastern part of the county (now in-
cluded in Washington township) and a congrega-
tion in Maxatawny.

Some years afterward, it would seem that their
number had grown so as to awaken public concern.
The matter was forced upon the attention of the
justices of the county, who (being Protestants) im-
bibed the feeling of insecurity entertained by the
surrounding communities. The excitement incident
to the "French and Indian war" was suiHcient to
arouse their jealousy and suspicion, and it was be-
lieved that the Roman Catholics manifested sym-
pathy for the French in their cruel warfare against
the Colonies. The justices of the county therefore
addressed a letter on the subject to the Governor
of the province on July 23, 1755, but nothing was
done.

In 1757, the Roman Catholics of the province
were enumerated with a total of 1,365; in Berks



48



HISTORY OF BERKS COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



county 205, in two congregations. Under Rev.
Theo. Schneider, 62 men and 55 women; under
Rev. Ferdinand Farmer, 46 men and 42 women
(among whom there were eight Irish people).

At Reading, they had an association soon after
the town was laid out ; and this association was
maintained, notwithstanding the smallness of their
number and the opposition of the Lutheran and Re-
formed people. About 1760, they succeeded in es-
tablishing a small log church at Reading.

Protestant Episcop.al. — Three churches of this
denomination came to figure prominently in the re-
ligious history of the county. The first was the
St. Thomas near Morgantown, in Caernarvon
township, which was established on ground devised
by Thomas Morgan about 1740. It was removed
in 1792 to the town, where a lot was set apart by
Jacob Morgan for that purpose. Several vears be-
fore, the congregation had secured the first regular
rector. Rev. Levi Bull. A substantial building was
erected in its stead in 1824.

The second church was the St. Gabriel's, which
was established at Molatton (now Douglassville)
in Amity township in 1765, and Rev. Alexander
Murray was the rector. A larger building was
erected in its stead in 1801, which is still standing.
And a third was erected near by in 1880-84.

And the third church was the St. Mary's (after-
ward Christ's) at Reading. The congregation was
organized by Rev. Alexander Alurray about 1763,
and the services were held in the same dwelling-
house which had been secured for holding the ses-
sions of the county courts. No church was erected
until 1825.

EvANGELIC.^L. — The only other religious denom-
ination which established itself in the county outside
of Reading to any considerable extent was the
Evangelical Association, but not until nearly one
hundred years after the county had been erected.
The first congregation was organized bv Rev.
Joseph M. Saylor at Reading in 1844. Within the
next ten years, others were organized in dififerent
parts of the county, and the Association persevered
until it came to possess churches in most of the dis-
tricts. But the buildings were small, especially out-
side of Reading, and the membership was limited.
Their Christian zeal was strong and their purpose
very determined and commendable.

This sect was started by Jacob Albright in IROO,
after he had preached several years, and the first
tangible results of his religious work were made to
appear in the eastern part of Berks county, near the
Colebrookdale Iron Works. In that vicinity, he had
preached in the homes of Samuel Lieser, Joseph
Buckwalter and Abraham Buckwalter, and the sec-
ond class of the organized body had come to be
formed out of the members of the families of the
three persons named, with Mr. Lieser as the class-
leader. In a similar manner, the work was extended
throughout the State. But though the real work
was started in the country, the churches of the As-



sociation were not erected there first, for the first
one in the county was not established until 1844, at
Reading.

About 1870 a spirit of opposition began to mani-
fest itself in relation to church government and this
increased until 1890, when the Association separ-
ated into two great parties with about 60,000 ad-
herents on each side, called respectively the Dubsites
and Esherites. After litigating for four years, the
Esherites were sustained by the courts in this State
and others, and they therefore retained all the
churches and the name Evangelical Association.
The Dubsites adopted the name United EvangeHcal
and immediately began the erection of churches for
themselves. In 1905, the Evangelical Association
had 5 churches in Reading and 15 in the townships,
and the United Evangelical, 4 in Reading, 8 in the
boroughs, and 11 in the townships ; and both together
43. Active work in some of the churches in the
country districts has been suspended, either par-
tially or entirely.

Othek Denominations. — Other denominations
than those mentioned were not organized in the
county until after 1825. Their names and the time
of organization will be found in the several districts
where established, more especially at Reading. It
is surprising that only the Evangelicals should gain
any foothold worth mentioning outside of Reading.

Pastors Long in Service. — Some of the pastors
have served their congregations for many years in
succession, until 1909, indicating their fidelity and
devotion to a remarkable degree. Those most not-
able in this respect at Reading are the following:

Christian S. Hainan, United Evangelical 54 years

John J. Kuendig, Lutheran 50 years

T. Calvin Leinbach, Reformed 49 years

Benjamin Bausman, Reformed 46 years

George Bornemann, Roman Catholic 44 years

Samuel A. Leinbach. Reformed 42 years

John J. Cressman, Lutheran 41 years

Daniel D. Trexler, Lutheran 41 "years

Zenas H. Gable, Lutheran 41 years

Franklin K. Huntzinger, Lutheran 40 years

Richard S. Appel, Reformed 3S years

Ferdinand F. Buermeyer, Lutheran DS years

Jeremiah K. Fehr, Evangelical 3S years

Edward T. Horn, Lutheran 37 years

William P. Orrick, Protestant Episcopal 36 years

S\lvanus C. Breyfogel, Evangelical 36 years

William H. Weidner, Evangelical 36 years

I. J. Reitz, United Evangelical 35 years

JMahlon H. l^Iishler, Reformed 33 vears

Isaac S. Stahr, Reformed 32 Vears

A. jNI. Sampal, United Evangelical .......32 vears

William H. Myers, Lutheran 31 years

Levi D. Stambaugh, Reformed .30 vears

William J. Kerschner, Reformed " . ! ^28 vears

George S. Seaman, Lutheran 27 Vears

Franklin K. Bernd, Lutheran ,26 years

George W. Gerhard, Reformed ......26 vears

Lutheran and Reformed Churches. The

Lutheran and Reformed churches have been
grouped together. At Reading, they have been tab-
ulated separately, but in the boroughs and town-
ships they have been run together, and they can be
distinguished by the letters placed after them, re-



EDUCATION IN COUNTY



49



spectively; L. standing for Lutheran, R. for Re-
formed, and U. for Union. They number altogeth-
er, including chapels, 134: Lutheran, 37, Re-
formed, 26, and Union, 71.

By comparing the tables it will be observed that
the distribution of these churches in the several sec-
tions is alike to a remarkable degree; and this fact
is particularly noteworthy when we consider that
the distribution covers an area of nine hundred
square miles. They have evidently been carrying
on a friendly rivalry, or rather co-operation, for
nearly two hundred years, which is truly commend-
able. And they have covered this large area so
thoroughly that the other denominations secured
only a limited foothold in several of the districts
outside of Reading.

DENOMINATIONS IN COUNTY

The following religious denominations were in
Berks county in 1&09, and the statement exhibits
the number of the respective churches and the mem-
bership as nearly as could be ascertained. Other
information relating to them will be found in the
chapter on Reading, on the Boroughs, and on the
Townships, under the topic of religion.

Denomination Number Members

Lutheran 92 29,154

Reformed 86 23,931

Protestant Episcopal 7 1,213

Roman Catholic 5 7,600

Presbyterian 3 835

Methodist Episcopal 11 2,389

Baptist 7 451

Evangelical 18 1,461

United Evangelical '. 23 3,430

United Brethren 5 1,107

German Baptist Brethren 3

Mennonite 4 296

Schwenkfelder 1

Church of God 1

CHURCHES IN TOWNSHIPS
The following statement embraces the churches
situated in the several sections of Berks county.
The churches at Reading and the boroughs will be
found in the chapters relating to these divisions of
the county.

The figures which appear after the names of the
churches in the following tabulated statements in-
dicate- the time of institution or erection, and of
rebuilding or improvement. The name of the pas-
tor serving in 1909 has been placed after the re-
spective churches.

Lutheran and Reformed Churches in
Manatawny (S. E.) Section
(L. indicating Lutheran; R., Reformed; and U., Union,
both using the church, alternately)
Alsace:

Zion's (Spies's) (U.), 1784-1810-'87. .M. L. Herbein (R.), 356

E. S'. Brownmiller (L.), 400

Salem (Shalter's) (U.) 1860 (vacant) (L),

M. L. Herbein (R.), 136
Alsace, Lower:

Bethany Chapel (U.), 1896 W. O. Laub, (L.), 238

Amity :

St. Paul's (Amityirille) (U.), 1753-'95-1873

Geo. W. Roth (R.), 247

A. W. Lindenmuth (L.), 425
Weavertown Chapel (U.), 1879
Monocacy Chapel (U.), 1896
4



Douglass:

Glendale Chapel (U.), 1893
Exeter:

Schwartzwald (U.), 1747-1810-'70. . .Joseph R, Brown (R.), 631

W. O. Laub (L.), 435
Baumstown Chapel (U.)
Lorane Chapel (U. )
St Lawrence Chapel (U.)
Stonersville Chapel (U.)
Hereford :

Huff's (U.), 1814-'81 0. R. Frantz (R.), 277

William F. Bond (L.), 695
Herefordville Chapel (U.) 1890
Muhlenberg :

Alsace (North Reading), 1740-'96-1850-1908

Charles E. Kistler (L.), 800

(Reformed also there from 1796 to 1908)

Grace (R.), 1908 Elam J. Snyder, 808

Hinnershitz (U.), 1850-'82 Geo. W. Gerhard (R.), 336

G. S. Seaman (L.), 368
Oley:

Oley (R.), 1735-1822-'80 Isaac S'. Stahr, 396

(Lutheran also there from 1735 to 1812)

Christ's (L.). 1821-'78-'85 E. S. Brownmiller, 270

Friedens (U.), Friedensburg, 1830-'86. .Isaac S. Stahr (R.), 300

A. W. Lindenmuth (L.), 340

St. John's (L.), Pleasantville, 1879 (vacant)

Oley Line Chapel (U.), l'897
Pike:

St. Joseph's (Hill) (U.), 1747-'86-1853... .M. H. Mishler (R.), 360

H. W. Warmkessel (L.), 768
(Lutheran also from 1747 to 1786)

St. Paul's (U.), Lobachsville, 1834-'77 (vacant) (R.),

H. W. Warmkessel (L.), 177
Rockland :

Christ (Dryville) (L.), 1735-'64-'97-1879 J. O. Henry, 400

New Jerusalem (U.), 1S40 Isaac S. Stahr (R.), 90

William F. Bond (L.), 349 -
Ruscombmanor:

St. John's (U.), 1840-1902 Isaac S. Stahr (R.), 76

A. W. Lindenmuth (L.), 55
Lutheran and Reformed Churches in
Ontelaunee (Nv E.) Section
Albany :

Jerusalem (Red) (U.), 1742-1812 A. O. Robert (L.), 220

(Lutheran until 1812)

New Bethel (Eck) (U.), 1750-1854 O. S. Scheirer (L.), 170

Frieden's (White) (U.), WessnersviUe, 1770-1840

O. S. Scheirer (L.), 240

J. S. Bartholomew (R.)
Greenwich :

New Jerusalem (Dunkel's) (U.), 1744-'90-1869

J. S. Bartholomew (R.), 200

O. S. Scheirer (L.), 210
(Refonmed until 1790)

Bethel Zions (U.), 1761-1803-'81 R. S. Appel (R),

O. S. Scheirer (L.), 325
(Lutheran also until 1844)
Longswamp :

Longswamp (U.), 1748-'90-1852. .Wm. L. Meckstroth (R.), 335

Wm. F. Bond (L.), 435
(Reformed until 1837)
St. Paul's (U.), Mertztown, 1837. .M. H. Brensinger (R.), 85

F. K. Bernd (L.), 321
Maiden-creek :

Elandon (U.), 1860 M. H. Brensinger (R.), 168

J. O. Henry (L.), 366
Maxntawny :

Trinity (Bower's) (L.), 1859-1901 W. F. Bond, 132

DeLong's (Bower's) (R.), 1759-1871-1901. .G. B. Smith

(Lutherans used it from 1859 to 1900)
Zion's (Siegfried's) (U.), 1828-'90 F. K. Bernd (L.), 286

G. B. Smith (R.)
St. Paul's (Lyon's) (L.), 1868 ' J. M. Ditzler

Lyon's Chapel (U.)
Ontelaunee :

St. John's (Gernant's) (U.), 1794-1868. .D. E. Schaeffer (R.),; 297

G. S. Seaman (L.), 361
Trinity (Leesport) (U.), 1867-'76-'81. . .D. E. Schaeffer (R.), 239

G. S. Seaman (L.), 157
Perry :

Zion's (Ziegel's) (U.), 1761-1804-'60

J. S. Bartholomew (R.), 350

H. C. Kline (L.). 340

St. Luke's (U.), Shoemakersville, 1853-1901

D. E. Schaeffer (R.), 136

D. G. Gerberich (L.), 145
St. Timothy's (U.), Mohrsville, 1864. D. E. Schaeffer (R.), 24

J. M. Ditzler (L.)
Richmond :

Zion's (Moselem) (L.), 1734-'61-1894 R. B. Linch, 195

St. Peter's (R.), 1762-1809 E. H. Leinbach, 122

St. Peter's (Becker's ), (U.), 1866-'91. . .R. S. Appel (R), 130
^■==* F. K. Bernd (L.). 194

St. Paul's Chapel (U.)
Windsor:

St. Paul's (U.), 1756-'63-1832-'92..J. S. Bartholomew (R.), 50

H. C. Kline (L.), 113
(Lutheran until 1832)



50



HISTORY OF BERKS COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



Lutheran and Reformed Churches in

TULPEHOCKEN (N. W.) SECTION

Bern :

Bern (U.), 1740-'62-1837 M. L. Herbein (R.), S6-1

E. S. Brown-miller (L.), 3"60
(Reformed until 1837)

Epier's (U.), 1734-'8S-1851 George W. Gerhard (R.), 337

G. S. Seaman (L.), ISO
(Reformed until 1825)
Bern, Upper:

Frieden's (U.), Shartlesville, 1871-1905. .R. S. Appel (R.), 83

D. D. Trexler (L.), 185
Bethel:

Salem (R.), Millersburg, lS10-'5S-'92. . . C. A. Butz (R.), 310

D. D. Trexler (L.), 125
(Lutheran by permission since 1850)
Centre:

Belleman's (U.). 1746-1813-'46 M. H. Mishler (R.), 350

D. G. Gerberich (L), 380
Heidelberg:

St. Daniel's (Corner) (L.), 1750-1814 0. E. Pflueger, 777

Robesonia (R.), 1906 E. S. Leinbach, 240

Heidelberg, Lower:

Hain's (R.), 1736-'66-187S W. J. Kerschner, 607

Trinity (Wernersville) (L.), 1897 J. W. Lazarus, 91

Wernersville Chapel (R.), 1901
Heidelberg, North:

North Heidelberg (U.), 1744>1S46 E. S. Leinbach (R.), 135

(vacant) (L.)
(Originally Moravian until 1S35)
Jefferson :

Christ (U.), Little Tulpehocken, 1733-1809

E. S. Leinbach (R.), 50

(vacant) (L.)

St. Paul's (U.), SchaefEerstown, 1875-'S4

L. D. Stambaugh (R.), 45

„ . (vacant) (L.), 75

Marion :

Zion's (L.), 172S-'45-1837-'95 E. S. Brownmiller, 75

Christ (L.), 1743-'86-1886-'8S (vacant), 325

St. Peter's Chapel (U.), 1849
Til den :

St. Michael's (U.), 1769-1810-'75 S'. A. Leinbach (R.), 375

_ , , , D. G. Gerberich (L.), 670

Tulpehocken :

Host (U.), 1738-1885 E. S. Leinbach (R.), 450

O. E. Pflueger (L.), 243
(Reformed until 1858)

Rehrersburg (L.), 1757-1808-'82 (vacant), 375

St. John's (U.), 1847-'97 L. D. Stambaugh (R.), 135

D. D. Trexler (L.), 90

St. John's (U.), Mt. Aetna L. D. Stambaugh (R.), 170

O. E. Pflueger (L.)
Tulpehocken Upper:

Zion's (U), 1734-1819-1905 E. S. Leinbach (R.), 250

O. E. Pflueger (L.), 441
St. Paul's (L.), 1861 (vacant)

Lutheran and Reformed Churches in
Schuylkill (S. W.) Section

Brecknock :

Allegheny (U.), 1765.1800-'78 J. V. George (R.), 301

Z. H. Gable (L.), 350
Citmru :

Yocom's (U.), 183S-'54 W. J. Kershner (R.), 81

W. O. Laub (L.), 350

Wyomissing (R.), 1850-'86 J. V. George, 219

Gouglersville (L.), 1894 Z. H. Gable, 300

Redeemer (Oakbrook) (L.), 1903 F. F. Buermyer, 21

Robeson :

Plow (U.), 1764-1811-'09 J. V. George (R.), 54

Z. H. Gable (L.), 350
(Lutheran until ifell)

St. John's (U.), Gibraltar T. V. George (R.), SO

"Z. H. Gable (L.), 320
Frieden's (Wicklein) (Ind.), 1866... J. V. George (R.),
Spring:

St. John's (S. Spring) (R.), 1794-1812-'85 . .W. J. Kerschner, 295
(Lutheran also from 1812 to 1897)

Kissinger's (U.), 1851-'91 R. S. Appel (R.), 105

E. S. Brownmiller (L.), 95

St. John's (S. Spring) (L.), 1897 J. W. Lazarus, 328

Union :

St. James (Geigertown) (L.), 1850-'96 Z. H. Gable, 75



Friends



Exeter:
Maiden-creek:

Orthodox . .

Hicksite . . .
Bern:
Robeson:



1725

.1759

.1853

1745

1735



Protestant Episcopal

Amity :

St. Gabriel's, 1765-1800-'84 Wm. R. HoUoway, 41

Caernarvon:

St. Thomas, 1740-1834 (vacant), 29

Roman Catholic
Washington:
Bally, 1743-1837 Charles Sauer, 1,000

Presbyterian
Heidelberg:
Robesonia Chapel, 1869

Methodist Episcopal

Caernarvon :

Morgantown, 1832-'78 W. C. Arathor, 306

Harmony, 1871 1. S. Seitz

Union:

Forest, 1773-1858 1. S. Seitz

Monocacy, 1873 A. I. Collom, 20

Baptist

Caernarvon :

Rock, 1844 (vacant), 15

Cumra:

Millmont, 1893 J. A. Maxwell

Mennonite

Brecknock "
Allegheny and Gehman. These two churches are
connected with Bowmansville, in Lancaster county,
under Bishop Benj.amin Weaver.

Washington:

■D u /-vu miD lonn (Andrew Mack 90

Bally-Old, 1743-1899 j j^j,^ ^^^^

New, 1851-'97 A. S. Shelly, 206

SCHWENKFELDER

Washington:

1824-'83 0. S. Kriebel

Evangelical
Albany:

Zion's, 1872 G. Burrell, 6

Salem, 1883 G. Burrell, 26

Bern:

Centreville, 1852 N. Simon, 3

Centre:

Jerusalem, 1862 N. Simon, 11

Colebrookdale:

New Berlinville, 1S50

Longswanip :

Shamrock, 1870

Maiden-creek:

Blandon, 1875 N. Simon, 33

Ontclauncc :

Leesport, 1901 N. Simon, 33

Penn:

1853-'72-'83

Perry:

Shoemakersville, 1857 N. Simon, 18

Tulpehocken:

St. Paul's, 1852

United Evangelical
Heidelberg:

Robesonia, 1895 S. Buntz

Hereford:

Bethesda Thomas Knecht

Oley:

Friedensburg, 1881-'89-'95 John T. Layton ) 197

Pleasantville, 1869-'95 John T. Layton 3

Richmond :

Virginville, 1883-'95 H. J. Kline

RMSconibmanor:

Pricetown, 1857-'95 John T. Layton



EDUCATION IN COUNTY



51



Spring: I

Mohn's Hill, 184o-'95 C. S. Mengel, 30

Washington:

Clayton, 1899 Thomas Knecht

German Baptist Brethren
Perry:
Mohrsville (continuation of North-kill Church),

1748 (vacant), 43

Ruscombmanor :
Pricetown (continuation of Oley Church), 1740-'80-
1807 ■ (vacant)

United Brethren
Caernarvon:

(Morgantown)

Perry :

Salem, 1876

Spring:

Sinking Spring, 1867

Tilden:

Loose's, 1870

Tulpehocken:

Trinity, 1848-'85

SUNDAY SCHOOLS OF BERKS COUNTY
The thirty-third annual convention of the Berks
County Sunday School Association was held in the
First Presbyterian Church at Reading on April 33,
1909, and the attendance was very large. The
county has been divided into eighteen districts and
all of them were represented. Thirteen religious
denominations were represented.

The association was organized in 1875 with J. H.
Sternbergh as the first president and Lewis Crater
as the secretary. In 1881 Samuel J. Weiler was
elected secretary, and he has served continuously
until the present in a most efficient manner, without
compensation. He prepared the following valuable
statement, which shows the Sunday-schools of the
respective denominations, the superintendents, and
the membership. Charles H. Leinbach, superin-



Online LibraryMorton L. (Morton Luther) MontgomeryHistorical and biographical annals of Berks County, Pennsylvania, embracing a concise history of the county and a genealogical and biographical record of representative families, comp. by Morton L. Montgomery .. → online text (page 17 of 227)