Morton L. (Morton Luther) Montgomery.

Historical and biographical annals of Berks County, Pennsylvania, embracing a concise history of the county and a genealogical and biographical record of representative families, comp. by Morton L. Montgomery .. online

. (page 170 of 227)
Online LibraryMorton L. (Morton Luther) MontgomeryHistorical and biographical annals of Berks County, Pennsylvania, embracing a concise history of the county and a genealogical and biographical record of representative families, comp. by Morton L. Montgomery .. → online text (page 170 of 227)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


in the schools of Centre township, and this was sup-
plemented by an advanced course at the Keystone State
Normal school at Kutztown, Pa, He taught school for
seven terms and then engaged in the produce business,
shippmg to Reading and Philadelphia. After six years
Mr. Yerger removed to Reading, being appointed dur-
mg President Cleveland's second administration to the
position of stamp clerk in the revenue office located in
the post-office building in Reading. After leaving this



BIOGRAPHICAL



605



position Mr. Yerger was engaged for some time in the
niannifacture of cigars, disposing of this enterprise to
enter the insurance field as agent for the Equitable
and Prudential insurance companies, and in this latter
capacity he continued successfully until his election to
the office of county commissioner in the fall of 1905
on the Democratic ticket. Mr. Yerger took up his
official duties Jan. 1, 1906. He has ever been i faithful
worker in the ranks of his party, and is considered
one of the leaders thereof in this section. Mr. Yerger
and his wife are members of the Lutheran Church. He
is fraternally connected with Leesport Lodge, No. 141,
L O. O. F., St. John's Lodge No. 435, F. & A. M., of
Reading, and of Centreport Lodge No. 446, P. O. S.
-of A., being a charter member of the latter.

Mr. Yergeir was married Oct. 15, 1887, to Anna S.
Kline, daughter of Samuel and Mary (Seaman) Kline;
five children were born to this union, James K., Wil-
liam, Samuel, Mary and Earl, al'. deceased except
James K.

HENNE. The members of the Henne family refer-
red to in this sketch are descended from Michael
Henne, who passed his life in Berks county. He was
born near Bernville, followed farming in that locality,
and died there. He and his wife, whose maiden name
was_ Catharine Haag, are both buried at Bernville.
Their children were John, Michael, Daniel and Jared.

Jared Henne, son of Michael, was born July 2, 1831,
and died Nov. 3, 1906, in Upper Tulpehocken township;
he was buried at the Blue Mountain Church. He was
a carpenter, following the trade most of his life. He
married Sallie Fox, daughter of Jacob and Catharine
(Potteiger) Fox, and she still survives, making her
home at Strausstown. They became the parents of
five children: Aaron F.; Howard F.; Salliej m. to
Abraham Ritzman; Clara, m. to Wilson' W. Strause;
and John, m. to Agnes Feick.

Aaron F. Henne, eldest son of Jared Henne, was
born Dec. 4, 1853, in Upper Tulpehocken township,
learned the carpenter's trade with his father, and fol-
lowed the same for twelve years. For five years he
was in the mercantile business at Cross-kill Mills. For
seven years he farmed on the Jacob Potteiger farm and
for eight years on the Aaron Kern farm, in 1906 buy-
ing the old William Reber homestead, in Upper Tulpe-
hocken township, near Strausstown, upon which he
has since resided. The place comprises twenty-seven
acres, to the cultivation of which he devotes his time.
He married Hannah Ritzman, daughter of Jacob and
Sarah (Wagner) Ritzman, and they have had two
sons, Charles W. and William J., the latter a barber at
Strausstown.

Charles W. Henne, son of Aaron F., was born
Feb. 12, 1879, in Upper Tulpehocken township, and
received his education in the public schools. For
three years after commencing to work he was engaged
at clerking in the general stores of J. A. Smith and
L. W. Ritzman at Strausstown, and Howard Long_ at
Rehrersburg. On Aug. 1, 1899, he went to Reading,
and learned the barber's trade from William Shearer,
of No. 117 North Ninth Street. After completing his
trade he returned home and opened the Lincoln Barber
Shop, of which he is still proprietor, with his brother,
William J., as his foreman. At Strausstown he learned
the cigar business with John Bricker and Calvin Fore-
man, and in 1905 he opened the La Fama Cigar Com-
pany, embarking in business on his own account with
only one employe. He now has from ten to fifteen
men who turn out a high grade of work. His most
popular brands, with more than locaf fame, are "La
Fama 10," "Carrie May," "Henne Value," "1910," "Pad-
dy's Delight," "Little Pets," "Dutch Charlie," "Henne's
Reliable" and "The Cyclone."

Mr. Henne married Kate Unger, daughter of Abra-
ham and Rebecca (Resh) Unger, and four children have
been born to' them: A son that died in infancy; Han-
nah R., who died when three years old; Carrie May,
and Jacob A.



Mr. Henne is a JDemocrat in politics and interested
ip local affairs, having served two terms as assessor
of Upper Tulpehocken township, being elected for the
second term without opposition, and receiving_ the
highest vote on the ticket. He is a member of Zion s
Blue Mountain Church (Lutheran). Socially he takes
an active part in secret organizations, and is a member
of the Masons, Odd Fellows, Rebekahs, P. O. S. of A.
,and P. O. of A.

Howard F. Henne, second son of Jared and" Sallie
(Fox) Henne, was born Nov. 9, 1855, in Jefferson
township, and received his education in the public
schools. When seventeen years old he went to learn
the shoemaker's trade under J. A. Smith, at Strauss-
town, remaining with him for seven years, after which
he went into business for hiinself at Strausstown, Up-
per Tulpehocken township, where he has continued to
make his home until the present. He is kept busy
doing fine custom work, having a large patronage in
that line. Mr. Henne has other -business interests, be-
ing treasurer of a building and loan association, and
is a well-known resident of his locality. He has served
as delegate to a number of county conventions, has
been juryman several times, and has acted twice as
judge of election, being quite active in local politics
as a Democrat. He was formerly fire warden of upper
Berks county, having been appointed to that office
by the county commissioners; and has also served as
school director of Upper Tulpehocken township.

Mr. Henrie married Emma Henne, daughter of
Moses and Leah (Feick) Henne, and they have had
one son, M'artyn R. Mr. Henne is a Lutheran in
religion, an active member of Zion's Blue Mountain
Church, which he has served as deacon, elder and
trustee. He is active in fraternal circles, belonging to
the P. O. S. of A. and I. O. O. F., and is particularly
interested in the latter order, being a past grand of
his home lodge, a member of the Ridgely Protective
Association and a member of the Rebekahs. He was
a representative to the Grand Lodge at Wilkes-Barre.

Martyn R. Henne, son of. Howard F., was born
Aug. 16, 1881, and received his early education in the
public schools of his home neighborhood. Later he
attended the Palmer's Business College of Philadelphia,
and then took a special course at the Y. M. C. A., Phila-'
delphia, in Advanced English, Business Law, etc., and
also a series of lectures in Credits, and a course in
Finance at the University of Pennsylvania. He was
employed with the Central high school in Philadelphia
for nine months, and for one year following was with
Dr. Ernest La Place, also in Philadelphia, at the en*
of that time becoming connected with a plumbing sup-
ply house, with which he remained nine months. He
has since held his present position, that of bookkeeper
at the Northern National Bank of Philadelphia, with
which he became connected in November, 1899. He is
a director of the Pennsylvania Building and Loan As-
sociation, No. 3, and of the West Somerset Building
and Loan Association, both of Philadelphia.

Mr. Henne is a thirty-second degree Mason and a
member of Lu Lu Temple, A. A. O. N. M. S., of Phila-
delphia. He also belongs to the P. O. S. of A., at
Strausstown; Veritas Lodge, No. 643, L O. O. F., at
Philadelphia; Palmer's Business College Alumni; and
to the American Institute of Banking, having been en-
gaged with the latter organization in numerous ca-
pacities for a number of years.

REV. HARRY CHARLES KLINE, pastor of St.
John's Evangelical Lutheran Church, at Hamburg, was
born at Philadelphia, Pa., May 37, 1868, son of Chris-
tian S. and Amanda Jane (Koch) Kline. The father
■ emigrated from Monsheim, near Worms, Germany, in
1853. accompanying his parents, who landed at New
York, and then proceeded to Salfordville, in Mont-
gomery county, Pa. When a young man he went to
Philadelphia and lived with a sister who was married
to Philip Monkenbeck, a cigar manufacturer and mer-
chant, who taught him the business, and he then en-



606



HISTORY OF BERKS COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



gaged in the same line on his own account at Ninth
and Green Streets, carrying the business on success-
fully until .1877. He then became a railroad engineer
on the Philadelphia & Reading Railroad, being ern-
ployed as such untiLl889, when he entered the Baldwin
Locomotive Works; he was engaged there as a me-
chanic until 1896, when he sustained a serious injury,
from which he eventually died, in 1898.

Christian S. Kline married Amanda J. Koch, of Le-
high county, and by her had eight children: Harry
Charles; Howard (m. Ella Robbins); Emma (m. Her-
man Frankenfield) ; Catherine (m. Morris Raudenbush) ;
Clara (m. Marshall Benner, and, after his death, Clar-
ence Graham); three children died in infancy.

Harry C. Kline received his early educati'on in the
public schools of Philadelphia, and later attended Muh-
lenberg College, at Allentown, Pa., from which he
graduated with honors in June, 1894. He prepared for
the ministry at the Lutheran Theological Seminary at
Mt. Airy, graduating from that institution in 1897. In
June of that year, immediately thereafter, he was or-
dained a Lutheran minister at Lancaster, Pa. Shortly
after his ordination, June 23, 1897, Rev. Mr. Kline
located at Hamburg and was regularly installed as
pastor of St. John's Evangelical Lutheran Church, and
also of St. Paul's Church, in Windsor township, of
Zion's, in Perry township, and of St. Mark's at Shoe-
makersville. Pa. With the exception of the church at
Shoemakersville, which he served for but four years,
he has continued to officiate as minister of these
churches to the present time.

Immediately upon his taking charge of St. John's
Church, new religious zeal in the members of the con-
gregation was developed. They had a severe visitation
the following year. On Monday, April 3. 1898, to the
amazement of the congregation, the beautiful old church
was' completely destroyed by fire, caused by a large
spark which was blown from the destructive fire at the
Wilhelm Bicycle Works, several hunared yards distant
to the west. The evening of the day previous, Sunday,
two fine windows had been dedicated, and a large
catechetical class had been confirmed in the old church.
Although shocked by the unlooked-for calamity, the
minister and his flock were not discouraged, for they
at once resolved to build their exclusive Lutheran
church, separating from their Union relations with the
Reformed brethren. They set to work in real earnest
to accomplish the task, which was finished by Whit-
suntide, 1899, when the building was consecrated. It
was then and is still recognized as one of the hand-
•somest churches in the county. In the erection of
this superb structure. Rev. Mr. Kline has received much
praise for his unremitting and successful efforts, and-
in 1906 the congregation was highly gratified at the
extinguishment of the entire indebtedness against the
church, due mostly to the personal appeals of the
pastor. Rev. Mr. Kline has also shared the honor of
building a beautiful Union church, known as Zion's
Union Church, in Perry township, which was conse-
crated on Whitsunday, 1909; he is the Lutheran pastor
of that church.

In 1897, Rev. Harry C. Kline married Gertrude Lil-
lian Leh, and they have had two sons, Arlan Luther
and Bernard Leh. Mrs. Kline was given a superior
education, more especially in music, under Prof. C. A.
Miarks, and she became a music teacher, following that
profession fof eight years. In 1890, Professor Marks
organized the Allentown Oratorio Society, with which
she filled the responsible position of piano accom-
panist in a highly commendable manner until her mar-
riage in 1897. Mrs. Kline is also an adept in needle-
work, as the walls of her beautiful and well-kept home
attest. She is a lovely character.

Thomas H. Leh, of Allentown, Mrs. Kline's father,
born in 1853, died in 1886. He married M. Alice Mu-
maw, and they had three children: Gertrude (m. Rev.
Mr. Kline), William T. (m. Mayme Matten), and Anna
M. (m. Willis E. Kuehns). Mrs. Kline's grandfather,



William R. Leh, also of Allentown, married A. Maria
Ginkinger.

Rev. Mr. Kline, being much interested in local his-
tory, has become a member of the Pennsylvania Ger-
man Society and the Berks County Historical Society,
both of which organizations he encourages most heart-
ily.

WILLIAM BRIDEGAM, one of Reading's highly
esteemed citizens and retired business men, is a native
of Berks county, born June 10, 1836, in Alsace township,
son of David and Catherine (Becker) Bridegam, also
natives of this county.

David Bridegam was educated in the common schools
of his day, and when a boy learned the weaver's trade.
This, in connection with farming a small property, oc-
cupied his time during his short life. He died at the
age of thirty years, having been married but eight
years, and having four children: Louisa m. Philip Her-
bine, a"nd had eight children, John (deceased), Wil-
liam, Lucy, Mahlon, Louisa. Katie, Amanda and James;
William; Augustus died single; and Lewis m. Mary
Ann Shadle and had three children, Augustus, Katie
and James. Mr. Bridegam died in 1832, while his wid-
ow survived him fifty-five years and died aged eighty-,
six years. The maternal grandfather was David Beck-
er, who married Susan Messersmith. They were very
prominent farming people of Alsace township, and he
was an extensive land owner. He, however, disposed
of his interests in Berks county and with a large fam-
ily removed to Ohio, where some of his . descendants
still reside.

William Bridegam was but five years old. when his
father died, and his mother not being in affluent cir-
cumstances, he was taken to raise by Susan Hassler,
with whom he remained until eighteen years of age,
receiving, however, but a limited education. While
yet in his teens, he was apprenticed to the tinsmith's
trade, and this he followed for fifty-four years. Through
honest enaeavor and perseverance he has accumulated
a competency and now in the evening of his life is
living quietly, enjoying the fruits of early labor. Mr.
Bridegam has been twice married, his first wife being
Rebecca Bells, by whom two children were born: Caro-
line, deceased; and Susan, who became the wife of Wil-
liam Hobart. Mr. Bridegam m. (second) Cynthia
Waltz (now also deceased), and six children were
born to this union, as follows: Clara, m. Samuel
Hartman; Sarah, is a widow; Kate, m. John E. Hun-
sicker of Los Angeles, Cal.; William E., is an elec-
trician of Reading; Mary, is deceased; and Florence,
m. John Fink, of SchuylkillHaven.

In religion the family are members of St. James'
Lutheran Church. Mr. Bridegam was formerly a mem-
ber of the I. O. O. F., and belongs to Reading Council,
No. .46, O. U. A. M. He is a very active man for his
years, and is most highly esteemed in Reading.

WILLIAM B. YEAGER, proprietor of the Reading
Cornice Works, with business situated on the north-
west corner of Eighth and Chestnut streets, Reading,
Pa., is one of the leading business men of this city!
He' was born at Reading, in 1851. a son of Abraham
and Harriet (Dickinson) Yeager.

Abraham Yeager was one of the business men of
Reading for years. For a long period he was a con-
fectioner and later went into the plumbing business
m partnership with his father-in-law, William Dickin-
son, under the firm name of Dickinson & Yeager. The
business was then located on Sixth street near Penn
street, Readmg. Subsequently Mr. Yeager was asso-
ciated with a Mr. Miller and the firm became Miller &
Yeager and so continued until the latter's death, at
the comparatively early age of thirty-seven years. He
was laid to rest in the Charles Evans cemetery. Mr.
Yeager was survived by a widow and children. He
married Harriet Dickinson, daughter of William P.
and Elizabeth (Miller) Dickinson, the Miller family



BIOGRAPHICAL



607



being a very old and prominent one at Readng. The
children of this union were: William B., of this sketch;
Edward, formerly mayor of the city of Reading; Harry;
Pearson; Clara; and Alice, wife of Henry Heckman,
of California.

William _.B. Yeager was educated in the schools
of his native city, including the high school. His first
acquaintance with business was as a clerk in the dry
goods store of B. H. Brown, where he remained a
short time, and then entered the Reading Sheet Mill
Works, and for one year worked at piling scrap iron.
His next business connection was with the firm of
Delp & Rapp, with whom he was associated for two
and a half years. In 1878 he went with W. T. Hain,
working at the tinning trade, and remained with him
for sixteen years. That long experience gave him
a thorough understanding of his present line of work.
During this period he spent some eighteen months
in Schuylkill county, in the same business.

In 1887 Mr. Yeager engaged in business at his pres-
ent site and has met with most encouraging success.
The Reading Cornice Works include in their manu-
factures copper and iron cornices, crestings, hipping,
and finals, roofing, spouting and heater work and sheet
metal work of all kinds. ' His plant is well equipped
with all manner of modern machinery and he gives em-
ployment to ten S'killed workmen. On Jan. 15, 1906,
he received a patent right for a metal window sash and
frame, and this device has met with a ready sale. Mr.
Yeager visits neighboring towns in the interests of his
business and has friends all over the region.

Mr. Yeager was married to Susan Leitheiser, a
daughter of Francis and Mary (Adams) Leitheiser,
of Hyde Park, Reading. They have a daughter and
son, Bessie and Harry, the latter of whom proves a
very apt assistant to his father. In politics Mr. Yeager
is a Republican. Fraternally he belongs to Chandler
Lodge No. 227, F. & A. M.; Excelsior Chapter, and
Reading Commandery, and is a past officer of the Royal
Arcanum. Mr. Yeager and family belong to the Luth-
eran Church. They have a pleasant home at No. 646
North Sixth street, Reading.

A. W. HAAG, a prosperous business man of Read-
ing, carrying on a large millwrighting business on the
corner of Walnut and Third streets, was born Feb. 15,
1851, in North Heidelberg township, Berks Co., Pa.,
a son of Joel and Susanna (Wenrich) Haag.

His education was obtained in .the schools at Bern-
ville and from youth he took care of himself. In 1868
he went to California and helped build the Union Pac-
ific railroad, and was one of the party to travel on the
first train over the route. Upon his return h'e went
to Luzerne county and there worked at sawmill work,
having some acquaintances there, and worked also at
Allentown. In 1875 he went to Fleetwood and worked
on what was the invention of the Haag Reliance Tur-
bine Water Wheel, superintending the setting up of
the same, until 1894. Mr. Haag then came to Reading
and established his business at the foot of Chestnut
street, but in 1896 he opened his present place of busi-
ness where he has a fine establishment equipped with
all kinds of modern machinery for millwrighting. He
makes a specialty of equipping dye works. He is a
thoroughly competent machinist and stands very high
in the trade.

In 1873 Mr. Haag was married to Sevilla Eck and
they have eleven children, namely: Katherine, m. to
W. L. Fegley; Charles, m. to Jennie Rambo; Sarah,
m. to Samuel Fegley; John A., m. to Ada Heck; George,
m. to Blanche E. Wink; Elizabeth, m. to E. S. Fisher;
Mary, m. to John Craig; Caroline, m. to E. Miller;
Adam W., Jr.; William P. and James H. Mr. Haag
is a member of the United Evangelical Church. He is
fraternally connected with the Knights of Pythias.
While in Fleetwood he was a member of the council,
and for a number of years school trustee. He was also
secretary of the board of town councilmen of Fleet-



wood for six years. Mr. Haag is very well known in
the city of Reading, where he is highly esteemed for
his many sterling traits of character.

ANDREW HONEKER, a resident of Reading, Pa.,
who was. engaged in the stone-cutting business, was
born June 23, 1845, in Wurtemberg, Germany, son of
George Honeker, an agriculturist of that country, where
he died at the age of sixty-five years.

Andrew Honeker received his eduoation in the com-
mon schools of his native c'ountry, and was reared on
his father's farm. He came to America in June, 1869,
on a vessel of the Hamburg Line, and landed at New
York City, where he remained but a few days, then go-
ing to the State of Massachusetts. He worked on a
farm there for a short time after which he came to
Reading and was employed at a furnace for a few
months. His next employment was at Altoona, Pa.,
for .a period of three years, after which he returned to
Reading and learned the stone cutting trade with the
Eben people, in whose employ he was for a period
of twenty years. In 1894 Mr. Honeker engaged in
business with John Fisher and Christ Becker, with
whom he continued one year, after which he formed a
partnership with Simon Abel, this connection con-
tinuing for five years. In 1904 Mr. Honeker became
the' partner of Henry Huber (see sketch elsewhere),
and they continued as partners, their yard being lo-
cated at Elm and Buttonwood streets, as long as
Mr. Honeker lived, and after her husband's death Mrs.
Honeker sold his'interests. The home of the family is
at No. 1167 Green street. Mr. Honeker died July 23,
1908, aged sixty-three years, and is buried in the Geth-
semane Cemetery, Reading. He was a member of St.
Paul's Roman Catholic Church, and of St. Boniface's
Society.

Mr. Honeker married Ceicila Hohm, of Baiern, Ger-
many, and to them were born the following children:
Joseph, who is employed in Chicago as a clerk; Mag-
gie; Albert; Annie; Lizzie, and Mary.

RICHARD M. WHITMAN, former chief of police
of Reading, is descended from David Whitman, a
blacksmith of Robeson township, Berks county.

Abraham S. Whitman, his father, who was a printer
and publisher of Reading, died in that city in 1900,
aged seventy-nine yeears, while his mother, Mary Eliza-
beth (Reeser), daughter of Daniel Reeser, a droVer of
Berks county, passed away in May, 1901, aged eighty-one
years. Eight children were born to Mr. and Mrs.
Whitman, two of whom, Rose and Kate, died in early
childhood. Those still living are: Daniel R.; Mary,
wife of David Fox, of the Reading Hardware Com-
pany, Reading; Esther, the wife of William Clark, of
the Reading Hardware Company; Henrietta, at home;
Lilly, the wife of James Johnson, of the Pennsylvania
Railroad service; Richard M.

Richard M. Whitman was born in Reading, April 3,
1848. He received his education in the public schools,
and then learned the printing business in his father's
office, at the Times, and continued at printing for a
number of years. He next took charge of the Daily
News and remained there nine years, or until the
paper was discontinued, when he became one of the
proprietors of the Reading Daily Telegram and with
this paper he continued three years. He was then
twice elected to Common Council from the Second
ward, resigning in 1890 to accept the position of high-
way commission-er of the Western district of Read-
ing. At the expiration of his term he was appointed
chief of police, and served under Mayors Merritt,
Yeager and Gerber, with an interval between Merritt
and Yeager. During this interval he was employed on
the Timies.

Mr. Whitman was married Jan. 20, 1877. to Mary
Catherine Shunk, daughter of John and Rachel (Savage)
Shunk, the former a tanner and farmer of Heidelberg
township, Berks county, and a nephew of the Hon.



608



HISTORY OF BERKS COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



Francis Shunk, ex-Governor of Pennsylvania. Two
sons' and two daughters have been born to this union:
Daniel R., a toolmaker of Philadelphia; May; Jacob;
and Mollie, wife of Clifford H. Price.

Mr. Whitman belongs to St. John's Lodge No. 435,
F. & A. M., and to the Foresters of America. He is also
connected with Liberty Fire Company, in which he
has held several offices. In politics he is a Democrat.
During his career as chief of police he made many im-
portant arrests, ^nd was a faithful and capable officer.

GEORGE A. RICK, president of the common branch



Online LibraryMorton L. (Morton Luther) MontgomeryHistorical and biographical annals of Berks County, Pennsylvania, embracing a concise history of the county and a genealogical and biographical record of representative families, comp. by Morton L. Montgomery .. → online text (page 170 of 227)