Morton L. (Morton Luther) Montgomery.

Historical and biographical annals of Berks County, Pennsylvania, embracing a concise history of the county and a genealogical and biographical record of representative families, comp. by Morton L. Montgomery .. online

. (page 171 of 227)
Online LibraryMorton L. (Morton Luther) MontgomeryHistorical and biographical annals of Berks County, Pennsylvania, embracing a concise history of the county and a genealogical and biographical record of representative families, comp. by Morton L. Montgomery .. → online text (page 171 of 227)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


of the city councils of Reading, is a native of that city
whose connection with its business and public life does
credit to his birth and ancestry. He is a member of an old
Berks county family, being a descendant in the fifth gen-
eration from Hermann Rick, the emigrant ancestor of the
family, who came to this country in 1712, when twelve
years old. From him Mr. Rick traces his line through
John George, Charles, and John Rick, the latter for many
years a member of the well-known firm of Rick Brothers,
manufacturers of tacks and builders' hardware, which was
established in the year 1867, and for many years main-
tained its position as one of the leading industries of the
kind in Reading and elsewhere. John Rick married Emma
C. Ammon, and to them were born three sons and one
daughter : George A., John, Paul A., and Margaret Julia,
the daughter dying in September, 1904. Further details
concerning the ancestors will be found elsewhere.

George A. Rick was born in Reading, Oct. 23, 1877, and
there received his education in the public schools. After
his graduation from the high school, June 1, 1895, he en-
tered the office of William H. Dechant, civil engineer,
with whom he remained until May, 1898, on the 9th o-f
which month he entered the army in the volunteer service.
He became a private in Company A (Capt. Samuel Wil-
lits), 4th Regiment (Col. David Brainerd Case), Pennsyl-
vania Volunteer Infantry, serving until Nov. 16, 1898; he
was sent to Porto Rico.

Upon his return to Reading after being mustered out of
the service, Mr. Rick engaged in the real estate and in-
vestment business, which he has continued to the present
time. He is a director of the Colonial Trust Company.

In 1906 Mr. Rick was elected to represent his ward in
the common branch of the city councils, and in 1908 he
was honored with re-election for another two years' term.
Immediately following his re-electioi^ in April, 1908, he
was elected president of that branch of the city govern-
ment, and he has occupied the chair ever since. He is a
Republican in political sentiment, public-spirited and con-
scientious in the discharge of his duties, and alive to the
needs of the community in which his life has been spent.

On Nov. 12, 1903, Mr. Rick married Margaret Hunter,
daughter of John and Marion Hunter, of Alva, Scotland.
Mr. and Mrs. Rick have two children, John Hunter and
Margaret Marion. Mr. Rick is a Lutheran in religious
connection, holding membership in St. Matthew's Evan-
gelical Lutheran Church.

WALTON G. LEVAN, for many years a business
man of Reading, bore a name not only to be found in
the military annals of this country, but also well known
in France in connection with the old Huguenot days.
The family was founded in America by three brothers,
Jacob, Isaac and Abraham, who fled from their native
land in 1715 to escape persecution and came to Penn-
sylvania, settling in Berks county, one near Kutztown,
one in Oley Valley and one in what is now Reading.
A warlike strain has run through their descendants
and we find them among the defenders of liberty in
bofh 1775 arid 1861.

Abraham Levan, grandfather of Walton G, in the
earlier part of his life resided in York, York county, a
place then known as Little York. He was enga^d in
business as a hatter and dealt almost entirely, whether
for laying in supplies or disposing of his goods when
finished, in Baltimore. Md. Later he settled in Read-
ing and carried on the same business there. He was



one of the leading supporters of the old Reformed
Church there, and when he died, at an advanced age,
was buried in the cemetery, at the corner of Sixth and
Washington streets.

Isaac N. Levan, son of Abraham, was born anc
brought up in York and there learned the' trade of a
hatter under his father. On moving to Reading, hr vv-
ever, he went into the nail cutting line instead, traveling
through Ohio, Illinois, Indiana and Virginia. He re-
turned to Reading about 1869 and went into the hat
business again, opening a retail establishment at No.
727 Penn street where he continued a few years, then
bought the property No. 719 Penn street and there
continued until his death, in 1892, at the age of seventy-
three years. His wife was Elizabeth, daughter of Jos-
eph Guiel, resident of Canada, where Mrs. Levan was
born, but later he removed to Connecticut. Mr. Guiel
was a famous Indian scout and during the Rebellion
his services were employed by the government. The
last years of his life were spent in work among the
Indians. Mr. and Mrs. Levan had children as follows:
Walton G, John A., Edgar M., Annie A., Ella G.
(m. Peter Weber, of Lancaster, Pa.) , I. Newton, (of
Wilmington, Del.), and Florence (wife of Dr. Charles
W. Bachman, of Reading).

Walton G. Levan was born in Baltimore, Md., Jan.
27, 1846. He came to Reading with his parents when
only a child, and after completing his education in the
public schools began to learn the trade which his
father and grandfather before him had followed. This
was during the period of the war, and after serving six
months of his apprenticeship he enlisted in Company
B, 2d Pennsylvania Cavalry under Gen. David McM.
Gregg. He served in all two years and six months
and during that time was once seriously wounded, in
the battle of Hunter's Run, Oct. 22, 1864. The ' in-
jury was in the left leg and he suffered from its eflfeots
to the end of his life. Mr. Levan was honorably dis-
charged July 20, 1865, and returning to Reading, re-
sumed work at his trade where he had left off. He
followed that line of work without intermission, in
1869 becoming associated in the hat business with his
father at No. 727 Penn street. Continuing with him
until 1874, in that year he opened an establishment of
his own at No. 48 South Seventh street which he con-
ducted until 1877. when he closed out his store and
went back to the bench. He remained in the shop
until March 9, 1895, when he and his son established
a hat store at No. 903 Penn street, having both a
manufacturing and retail concern. Nine years after,
to a day, they moved to the present location. No. 847
Penn street. Here his son now carries on what has
become known as one of the most progressive hat
stores in the city. In the rear of the store there is
a plant for manufacturing hats for the local trade, and
as Mr. Levan was a skilled mechanic himself, and
superintended his own workrooms, he established a
splendid reputation for the output. His son. Isaac
N. Levan, became a partner in the firm in 1897 and
they did business under the firm name of W. G. Levan
& Son. Mr. Levan was actively engaged in business
until a few days before his death, though he had been
suffering for some months with dropsy, from which he
died Nov. 18, 1906, in his sixty-first year. He was one
of the best-known men in his line in Reading.

Mr. Levan married Catharine Boylan, who survives
him, residing at No. 704 Walnut street, while his son.
Isaac N. resides in the home at No. 133 North Eighth
street. The;^ had one son, Isaac N. Levan, who mar-
ried Mary A. Siegfried, and had three children, namely:
Bertha A., Walton G. and William A. Mr. Levan was
a member of Keim Post, No. 76, G. A. R.

ISAAC HOLLENBACH, a well known citizen of
Reading, engaged in the building business, who resides
at No. 600 Schuylkill avenue, was born in 1852 in Onte-
launee township, Berks county, near Leesport, son of



BIOGRAPHICAL



609



John and Mary (Hartman) Hollenbach, and grandson
of John and Christiana Hollenbach.

John Hollenbach, the grandfather, was a farmer near
Leesport, Pa., where many years of his life were spent,
and was a man noted for his thrift and enterprise,
being held in high esteem in his locality. He and his
wife Christiana became the parents of these children:
Benjamin; Samuel; Daniel; Rebecca, m. to Adam Gear-
hapt; Elithebes, m. to a Mr. DeTurck; John; and Kate,
m. to a Mr. Schaeffer. In religious belief the family
were Lutherans. Mr. Hollenbach was first a Whig
in politics, and later became a Republican.

John Hollenbach, son of John, was educated in the
district schools of Berks county, and as a boy engaged
in agricultural pursuits on his father's farm, later en-
gaging therein for himself, following farming all of his
life. He died aged seventy-one years, while his widow
still survives him, being the mother of five children:
Catherine, m. to William Marks; Emma, who died
single; Isaac; Sally, m. to Charles Gernant; and John,
a retired farmer of Illinois.

Isaac HoUenbach's education was secured in the
schools of Bern township, after which he came to
Reading and pursued a course in the business college.
He then returned to his native place and engaged in
farming until 1891, in which year he came again to
Reading and engaged in the butchering business, for one
year, selling out to engage in the building business, at
which he has since continued with much success. He
has built many residences in the northwestern section
of the city, among them sixteen on Gordon street, sev-
en on West Green street, sixteen on Wesit Greenwich
street, and a row on Schuylkill avenue in the 600 block,
in one of which he resides. Hollenbach street, one of
the prettiest residence thoroughfares in northwestern
Reading, was named after Mr. Hollenbach, and here,
in ^ company with P. Monroe Krick, Mr. Hollenbach
built forty-three houses. He is well and favorably
known in his section of the city, serving as council-
man of the Fifteenth ward, but declining a renomina-
tion on account of his varied business interests. He
is a stanch Republican and a member of the North-
easitern Republican League, and is fraternally connected
with the Schuylkill Fire Company. In religious faith
Mr. Hollenbach is a Lutheran.

WILLIAM H. MOYER, of the firm of Strunk &
Meyer, feed merchants, of Reading, Pa., was born
July 17, 1859, at Reading, son of David and Mary (Bin-
gaman) Moyer.

David Moyer, father of William H., born in 1819, was
a carpenter at Reading, following his trade here during
the greater part of .his life. He died in 1878, and his
wife, Mary Bingaman, died in 1865. Thev had three
children: Clara, David A., and William H.

William H. Moyer was educated in the Reading
schools and began his business life as an employee
of Aaron Yocum, in a flour mill, with whom he con-
tinued for three years. Then began his association
with John M. Strunk, for whom he worked eleven
years, and in 1889 he was taken into partnership, and
the present firm name was adopted. The business was
founded in 1868 by Mr. Strunk, and by him was so
conducted that it became favorably known all over
Berks county. The warehouse' is located at No. 924
Franklin street. The scope of the business includes
dealing in flour, feed, grain, hay, straw, potatoes
and poultry supplies, and their trade connections enable
them not only to do a good business for themselves
but to make it of interest to their customers. Their
claim to promptness in business transactions is well
substantiated. They make a specialty of handling Nut-
riotone, a condition remedy for horses, cattle, sheep
and swine. Their warehouse consists of four floors
and the dimensions of the, building are 34x24 feet.

Mr. Moyer was_ married to. Louisa Zeigler, daughter
of John and Louisa (Roland) Zeigler, of Reading, Pa.
Mr. Zeigler died in 1892. For years he had been a
39



valued employee at the Johnston foundry. Mr. and
Mrs. Moyer have one daughter, Helen May, who is a
pupil' at the grammar school. In politics iVIr. Moyer
is a Republican. Fraternally he is a Knight of Malta;
belongs to Camp No. 89, Patriotic Sons of America;
and was secretary of the Rainbow Fire Company for
some years. He is a member of the First Reformed
Church at Reading.

DAVID DeLONG, now deceased, was a well known
farmer of Bern township. He was born in Berks coun-
ty. Pa., son of David De Long, Sr., who was for many
years engaged in farming in Lehigh county — a very
prominent man there.

Mr. De Long was always identified with Berks
county. He began his farming operations there on a
traot of forty acres, which he purchased and to which
he later added considerably. He was successful in his
work, being both capable and industrious,' and his long
life of seventy-seven years was full of useful and kind-
ly deeds.

Mr. De Long married Miss Mary Snyder, and they
passed many years of wedded life, broken by the death
of Mrs. De Long at the age of sixty years. A large
family was born to them, all of them living in or
near Reading, as follows: Mary, Mrs. Daniel Moser, of
Bern township; Hattie, Mrs. Samuel Savage, of Read-
ing; Catharine, Mrs. Reinart, of Reading, who has
two children, George and Katie (m. Howard Zerr, who
has two children, Luther and Helen Zerr); Joel, m.
to Miss Matilda Althouse, and residing on the home-
stead in Bern township; Lydia, m. to Frank Snyder,
of Reading; and Sarah, m. to Levi Wagner. David
De Long, was a man who held the respect of the com-
munity in which he lived, and was of no little influence
in the Democratic party. He was a member of the
Reformed Church.

DOTTERRER. In 1738 among the names of passen-
gers on the ship "Mortonhouse," was the name of Johan
Georg Doderer, also spelled, on the Captain's list,
Hans Dirk Doddere. In 1756, according to the his-
torian, Rupp, he had settled in District township, Berks
county; and in 1759 his name appears on the tax list
in that township. Tradition says he was an elder
brother of Mathias Dotterrer, who came over in 1749.

(I) Mathias Dotterrer, whose name on the passen-
ger list is given as Mattheus Dotter, came to America
on the ship "Jacob," Captain Adolph De Grove, from
Amsterdam, last from Shields, England, qualifying at'
Philadelphia, Oct. 3, 1749. On the same ship were
Nichlaus and Martin Dotter, who may have been sons
over sixteen years of age. His son Mathias (1744-
1837), was about five years old at the time, and be-
cause of his age his name would not appear on. the
passenger list.

(II) Mathias Dotterrer, son of Mathias, born Jan.
33, 1744, became a pioneer of Lower Berks county.
His name is variously spelled — Dotterrer, Dottero and
Toderrow. On the red sandstone that marks his grave
just south of the Hill Church, is the following inscrip-
tion: "Mathias Dotterrer, son of Mathias and Cathar-
ine, Born Jan. 22, 1744, Died June 30, 1827, aged 83
years, 5 months, 8 days." His wife is buried at his
side her grave being marked by the following inscrip-
tion: "Anna Maria, daughter Adam and Catharine Im-
holtz, and wife Mathias Dotterrer. She was born May
17, 1743, married 1765, and lived in holy wedlock over
60 years. She had two sons, twenty-six grandchildren,
forty great-grandchildren at her death, which occurred
Feb. 34, 1825, aged eighty-one years, nine months, sev-
enteen days." They had two sons: Daniel was executor
of his father s will (on record in German in Will Book
6, p. 99); and Mathias.

(III) Daniel Dotterrer, son of Mathias, was born
July 4, 1766, and he died Sept. 13, 1844, in the seventy-
ninth year of his age. He lived in' Earl township
where he owned a farm, and he also owned a tract in



610



HISTORY OF BERKS COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



Rockland township, bequeathing the latter to his son
Henry in his will made Oct. 29, 1834. This will is on
record in Will Book 9, page is; executors, his sons
Maithias and Daniel. In the Will Index his name is
spelled Daniel Dottero. He married Barbara Muthart
(born June 28, 1763, died Dec. 3, 1843, aged eighty
years, five months, five days), and their children were:
Mathias, John, Daniel (1792-1840), Jacob, George, Hen-
ry, Susanna and Catharine.

(IV) Jacob Dotterrer, son of Daniel, was born April
4, 1794, and he died in Earl township, Aug. 23, 1885,
aged ninety-one years, four months, nineteen days. He
and his family are buried in the cemetery at the Hill
Church, of which they were Reformed members. In
his earlier life he owned and cultivated a small farm
in Pike township. By trade he was a carpenter. His
wife, Sarah, daughter of Christian Sassaman, was born
Dec. 21, 1797, and she died June 8, 1880, aged eighty-
two years, five months, seventeen days. Four children
were born to them: Maria, m. to Isaac Fry; John S.;
Abraham, who lived and died in Pike township; Sarah,
m. to Aaron Weller.

(V) John S. Dotterrer, son of Jacob, was born dur-
ing his father's residence in Pike township, Dec. 7,
1822. His death occurred Dec. 12, 1881, when he was
aged fifty-nine years, five days, and his remains were
buried at Hill Church. In his earlier life he was a
school teacher, teaching a pay school at Shanesville,
but later he became a farmer, owning the farm of 167
acres in Pike township that is now the property of his
son Jacob and the heirs of his son John. In politics
he was a Democrat, and was always active in work
for his party. For a number of years he served as
school director in Pike township. He married Hettie
(Esther) Weller, daughter of Jacob and Elizabeth
(Mest) Weller. born July 29, 1828, died July 28, 1882,
aged fifty-three years, eleven months, twenty-nine
days, her death occurring but eight months after that
of her husband. Their children were: Catharine, who
died unmarried; Jacob, of Pikeville; John W. ; Daniel
W. ; Sarah, m. to Irwin Buchert, of Gilbertsville;
Elizabeth, m. to William Hilbert, of Pikeville; Hettie,
m, to Daniel Peter, of Viola, Del.; Amanda, m. to John
Ritter, of Boyertown; and Augustus, of Pottstown.

(VI) John W. Dotterrer, son of John S., was a
native of Pike township, born Aug. 16, 1852. He was
first a farmer and then a merchant, later conducting the
store and hotel (which he owned) at Hill Church,
where he was also postmaster for more than a quar-
ter of a Century. He was one of the active Democrats
in his district, serving as committeeman for many
years, and at the time of his death was serving as
road commissioner. He died May 14, 1907, and was
buried at Hill Church, of which he was a Reformed
member. From the date of its incorporation in 1873
until his death, a period of thirty-four years, he was
treasurer of the Cemetery company. He was a man
of influence in the community. His wife, Elenora
Brower. was a daughter of John G. and Elmina (Haus-
man) Brower, of Colebrookdale township, the former
at one time a well known school master. They had
these children: Laura, who died in infancy; Dr. Char-
les B.; and Hettie, whose husband, Harvey H. Weller,
succeeded Mr. Dotterrer in business at Hill Church.

(VII) Dr. Charles B. Dotterrer, of Boyertown, was
born Jan. 12, 1880, near Hill Church, son of John
W. and Elenora, and was given good educational ad-
vantages. He attended the public schools in Pike
township, and later the Pottstown schools, and then
engaged in teaching in his native township for one
term. In the spring of 1897 he attended Perkiomen
Seminary, and continued there as a student until his
graduation in 1898. He then entered the Medico-Chirur-
gical College, Philadelphia, from which institution he
graduated in 1903. While there he was awarded a
gold rnedal for his high average in a competitive ex-
amination. He then served one year in the Medico-
Chirurgical Hospital, after which he took charge of



the practice of Dr. G. A. Weida, at Frederick, Mont-
gomery Co., Pa., during the latter's service in the
lower house of the Sitate Legislature. He then began
practising for himself at Zieglerville, and continued
there until January, 1907, when he located in Boyer-
town, quickly assuming a promihent place in the pro-
fessional world. He has a most enviable record, and
stands high in the estimation of his fellow practi-
tioners. Fraternally Dr. Dotterrer is a member of War-
ren Lodge, No. 310, F. & A. M.; Norristown Chapter,
No. 190, R. A. M.; Reading Lodge of Perfection. He
is a past master of Perkiomenville Lodge, No. 367, I.
O. O. F., and smce his location in Boyertown has be-
come affiliated with Boyertown Lodge No. 708, I. O.
O. F., which lodge rendered such invaluable services
to the community at the time of the Opera House Fire
in January, 1908. Dr. Dotterrer is very prosperous,
and his automobile may be seen at all hours. He
handles this machine with great skill. On Jan. 1, 1909,
in partnership with Claude C. Graeff, P. D., he bought
the large wholesale and retail drug store of Charles
A. Smith, and when not engaged at his private practice
spends his time in the drug store.

The Doctor is very public-spirited, and has taken
an active part in public affairs. He is a member of
the board of health, and since the resignation of Dr.
Rhoads he has acted as its president. He was one of the
incorporators of the Boyertown Electric Light Com-
pany, serving as vice president until he was elected
hy an overwhelming majority as a councilman. He is
a member of the Berks County Medical Society, the
Pennsylvania State Medical Society and the American
Medical Association.

On Dec. 17, 1904, Dr. Dotterrer married Mary Eliza-
beth Wagner, daughter of Michael and Amelia (Reller)
Wagner, of Obelisk, Pa. They have no children.



(VI) Daniel W. Dotterrer, son of John S., was born
in Pike township, Nov. 27, 1854. He received his early
education in the township schools, and later attended
Professor Hankey's select school at Boyertown. He
also attended Friedensburg Academy one term, then
under the charge of Prof. S. A. Baer, and later Dr.
Daniel Schoedler. In 1880 he began farminar for him-
self on the place where he now lives near Hill Church.
He has a farm of eighty-eight acres, all in good con-
dition. In politics he is a Democrat, and he wields
considerable influence in the township, as he is a man
of high repute and good judgment.

In 1879 Mr. Dotterrer married Ellen Drumheller,
daughter of David and Lydia (Rhode) Drumheller.
and they had children :^ Wilson m. Hannah Mest;
Ida m. John Hess; Daniel died in infancy; David m.
Annie Moyer; John (twin to David) is a cigarmaker;
Mamie, Augus.tus and Elizabeth are at home.

GEORGE C. SUENDER, who resides at No. 1330
North Twelfth street, Reading, Pa., has served as ward
assessor of the city for the past seventeen years. Mr.
Suender was born in 1845, in Saxony, Germany, son of
George and Catherine D. (Eisenhart) Suender.

George Suender was a spinner by trade, an occupa-
tion which he followed in his native country, and in
1847 emigrated to America on the ship "Louisa Maria,"
Capt. Lew Schwenk. landing May 7th, of that year, after
a stormy voyage of seven weeks, at Philadelphia. After
coming to this country Mr. Suender engaged in com-
mon laboring and huckstering, and in these occupations
continued until his death in 1890, at the age of seven-
ty-two years, his widow surviving until 1903, when she
passed away, being eighty-four years old. They were
the parents of children as follows: George C; Charles
M. D., deceased; Catherine, m. to Charles Bast; and
Louisa, m. to George Kramer. In religious belief
the family were Reformed. In 1856 Mr. Suender was
naturalized, and became a stanch Democrat.

George C. Suender received his education in the
schools of Berks county, attending pay schools in Bern



BIOGRAPHICAL



611



township and Freeland Seminary, and after leaving
the latter institution taught school for five years. In
1868 he commenced farming, continuing thereat until
1870, when he embarked in the livery business on
Pearl, below Franklin stree.t, Reading. One year later
he sold out to engage in the flour and feed business
with William Frame, and shortly thereafter accepted
a position with William T. Clous & Son, ice dealers.
In 1880, Mr. Suender engaged in the milk business,
and this he carried on until April 30, 1907, when he
sold out. Mr. Suender has been prominent not only
in business, bu.t in political circles as well. He has
long been a stanch adherent of Democratic principles
in this section, was school director for six years, and
for the past seventeen years has served efficiently as
ward assessor. He is well known throughout the city,
and has many warm friends.

Mr. Suender was married (first) to Elizabeth Kauf-
man, by whom he had two children: Lillie; and Eliza-
beth, m. to John Sheidy. His second marriage was to
Louisa Menges, and to them there have been born six
children: Katie, m. to Elmer Heilig; Eugenia H.; T.
Howard; Charles F.; Emma, m. to John Dersch; and
Vernie. The family is connected with the Lutheran
Church.

GEORGE GRAFF, a farmer of Albany township,
Berks county, now living retired in his comfortable
home at Albany Station, is a native of Neubeuern.
Germany, born Aug. 11. 1835. son of George Michael
Graff.



Online LibraryMorton L. (Morton Luther) MontgomeryHistorical and biographical annals of Berks County, Pennsylvania, embracing a concise history of the county and a genealogical and biographical record of representative families, comp. by Morton L. Montgomery .. → online text (page 171 of 227)