Morton L. (Morton Luther) Montgomery.

Historical and biographical annals of Berks County, Pennsylvania, embracing a concise history of the county and a genealogical and biographical record of representative families, comp. by Morton L. Montgomery .. online

. (page 173 of 227)
Online LibraryMorton L. (Morton Luther) MontgomeryHistorical and biographical annals of Berks County, Pennsylvania, embracing a concise history of the county and a genealogical and biographical record of representative families, comp. by Morton L. Montgomery .. → online text (page 173 of 227)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


versity of Pennsylvania. Since his return from school
he has resided on the old homestead. In politics he
is an energetic worker in the ranks of the Democratic
party, and is chairman of the Democratic Club of
Maxatawny. For ten years he served as a member of
the school board in his township, and held at different
times all the various offices of the board. In 1900
he was elected justice of the peace, and has since been
re-elected, and he has frequently been a delegate to
county conventions. He has been treasurer of the
board of supervisors of the township, since the pas-
sage of the new State Road law, ana in many ways
has been influential in the welfare of the township.
With his family he attends, as a Reformed member,
Zion's Union Church, and for some twenty years he
has been superintendent of the prosperous Sunday
school, and he is also the teacher of the large Bible
class.

In 1903 Mr. Herman was married to Mame E. Pott,
daughter of Benjamin and Mary (Schall) Pott, of
Pottsville, the town being named for her paternal,
great-grandfather. To this marriage has been born
on May 12, 1904, one son, Benjamin Alfred.

DR. CHARLES HUNTER RAUDENBUSH, who
conducts a thriving drug business, at Reading, Berks
Co., Pa., was born Oct. 7, 1866, at Adamstown, Lan-
caster county, son of Dr. A. S. and Sarah (Stauffer)
Raudenbush, whose history appears elsewhere in this
"work.



Dr. Charles H. Raudenbush attended the public
schools of his na.tive place, and after graduating there-
from entered the State Normal School at Millersville.
After two spring terms at the latter institution, Dr.
Raudenbush came to Reading with his father, and in
1882 entered the high school of the city from which
he was graduated with the class of 1886. In October
of the same year he entered the drug store of J. H.
Stein, at Eighth and Penn streets, Reading, remaining
until October, 1889, when he attended a course of
lectures on pharmacy at Philadelphia. Graduating from
The Philadelphia College of Pharmacy in 1891, Dr.
Raudenbush returned to Reading and engaged again
with Mr. Stein, with whom he remained until March,
1896, and on May 1st of that year he engaged in busi-
ness on his own account, opening a store in the Man-
sion House building. This was the location of his
business until April, 1905, when, feeling the need of
larger quarters he removed to his present place. No.
39 North Sixth street, where he has since continued.
Mr. Raudenbush has one of the finest equipped pharma-
cies in the city, and he has won the steady trade of
a large patronage.^

On Oct. 26, 1898, Dr. Raudenbush married Mattie
B. Thompson, daughter of Isaac F. and Lydia (Steen)
Thompson, of Coatesville, Chester Co., Pa., and to this
union have been born one son and one daughter,
Charles B. and Helen T,

WILLIAM J. BAER, one of the leading citizens of
Kutztown, Pa., and superintendent of the Allentown
& Reading Traction Company, was born at Breinigs-
ville, Lehigh county, Sept. 11, 1869. As a boy he worked
on his father's farm and attended the public schools
of his district. When a young man he found employ-
ment in the ore mines not far from his home, and
proved himself such a faithful and painstaking work-
man that he found favor in the eyes of his employers,
who made him superintendent of the ore beds at
Breinigsville and Guth stations. Later he became su-
perintendent of a paint mill for the Pennsylvania
Paint & Ore Company, and was stationed for some
time at Cartersville, Ga. His faithfulness to duty and
his efficiency as an engineer secured for him due
recognition, and he ran the engines at these ore beds
for some years.

In 1900 Mr. Baer became conductor on the Allentown
& Reading Traction Company line, and when the
company erected new power houses at Kutztown he
took charge of the engines, and soon thereafter be-
came chief engineer for the company. Later he was
given general charge of the station and the power
house, and in 1902 was appointed assistant superintend-
ent of the company, a position he has very ably filled
to the present time.

In June, 1890, Mr. Baer was married to Ellen Sieg-
fried, daughter of Reuben and Amanda (Grim) Sieg-
fried, and to this union there have been born these
children— Clara Victoria and Arthur William.

His father was Jonathan S. Baer, who was mar-
ried to Fannie Burkey. daughter of Daniel Burkey, of
England. They had children: Charles, who died
young; William J., subject of this sketch; George F.,
m. to Kate Levan, and living in Allentown; Frank
F., m. to Tillie Houser, and living at North Hill; Alice,
m. to J. Thomas Smith, and living in Scranton; Ida,
m. to James Sup, and living in Allentown- and Harvey,
who died in youth.

His grandfather was Phillip Baer, who was a shoe-
maker by trade, and was well known in the vicinity
of Breinigsville and Fogelsville. He died at the ad-
vanced age of eighty-five years, in 1901. and is buried
at (Ziegel's) Church, In his younger' vears he had
moved with his father to Mercer county, Pa., but he
did not like his new home, so he returned to his native
county, of Lehigh. He was married to Catharine
Schaefter and had twelve children. When he died he



BIOGRAPHICAI, 615

had fifty-nine grandchildren and thirty-five great- into the earth to reappear during January of the year

grandchildren. Among his children were these: following. The spring never runs dry during the

Charles, of Ohio; Mrs. Thomas Burky, of AUentown; months from January to August.

Jonathan S., of Breinigsville; Peter L., of Hamilton, One part of Mr. Hainly's hotel building was erected

Ohio; and Mrs. Rebecca Billig, of Mercer county, prior to 1767, being, built of stone nearly two feet

Pennsylvania. thick, is substantial, and to all appearances will re-

His great-grandfather was Daniel Baer, who was main so for a century or two to- come. The fourteen

born in Weisenburg township, Lehigh county, where rooms are large and spacious, and the Coloriial style

he lived until he moved to Mercer county. Pa. Among of architecture prevails. Mr. Hainly, who is genial

his children were John, Daniel, David, Benjamin, and affable, makes an ideal host, and has won many

Phillip, above named, and Catharine. friends in this community. He serves the best of

His great-great-grandfather was Jacob Baer, who was liquors, beer and cigars, has excellent table service,
the son of the immigrant, Hans Baer, and is well known and his prijces are moderate. His fine park, im-
in the history of the Baer family. He was the father mediately in the rear of the hotel, covers an area of
of twelve children, six sons and six daughters, and about two acres, and here is found the historic sink-
he gave to each of his six sons a farm. His son ing spring. The park contains a large pavilion, and_ is
Daniel sold his Weisenburg Township farm, and thickly grown with shrubbery and trees, the latter in-
moved to Mercer county, where he raised his family eluding the Norway, Austrian, Excelsior and Stone
and lived to the end of his life. pines, and the Douglass, Colorado Blue and Oriental

spruce, with Arbor White American and Golden Arbor.

JOEL W. HAINLY, proprietor of the original Pyramid and Siberian plants are found scattered about
"Sinking Spring Hotel," one of the oldest hotel stands in artistic fashion, and the place is a delightful re-
in Berks county, was born in Lancaster county, Pa., treat, where one may find rest from the noise and rush
July 21, 1861, son of Michael and Lydia (Wiest) of town life.
Hainly. On Sept. 19, 1885, Mr. Hainly was married (first)

Michael Hainly, grandfather of Joel W., was a farmer to Kate Hain, born April 27, 1867, who died Oct. 31,

in Lancaster county, and owned a small property near 1897, daughter of Frederick and Elizabeth (Halt) Hain,

Blainsport, where he died. He was twice married, the former a coachbuilder of Fritztown. Mr. and Mrs.

(first) to Susanna Bergman, and (second) to Susanna Hainly had three children, namely: George Frederick,

Gushert. His children, all by the first marriage, were: Mamie Elizabeth and Robert Michael. On June 20,

Joseph, who settled near Schoeneck, Pa.; John, who 1903, Mr. Hainly m. (second) Valeria J. Addams,

lived at Cocalico; Michael; Susanna, m. to Samuel daughter of Daniel and Susanna (Ulrich) Addams, of

Betcher; Sophia, m. to Abraham Royer; and Polly Fritztown. Mr. Addams is an old resident of this

(Mary), m. to Adam Noll. section, and was an active worker in the Democratic

Michael Hainly, father of Joel W., was born July party in his younger days. His children are: Hannah,

6, 1831, and died Oct. 5, 1906, after a long and sue- m. to J. S. Strohl; Maggie, m. to John A. Fry; Ella,

cessful life spent in agricultural pursuits. He was a m. to F. M. Gaul; and Valeria J., m. to Joel W. Hainly.

prominent member of the Swamp Church, belonging No children have been born of Mr. Hainly's second

to the Lutheran denomination, and was a man uni- marriage. He is a Lutheran member of St. John's

versally esteemed and respected. Mr. Hainly married Church of Sinking Spring. In politics he is an active

Lydia Wiest, born April 17, 1834, daughter of Benjamin Democrat. Fraternally he is a member of Tribe No.

and Sarah (Stover) Wiest, and she now resides at the 301, Order of Red Men, of Reading; and Castle No.

old home. They had a family of nine children, all of 334, K. G. E., of Sinking Spring,
whom arfe living: Sarah, m. to Martin DeHart, of

Fritztown; Benjamin, m. to Kate Kessler, and living HENRY W. LONG, teacher and agent for fertilizers,
on a farm at Vinemont; Joel W.; Susan, m. to Wal- was born on the Long homestead in Upper Bern town-
lace Eckenroth, of Gouglersville; Emma, m. to John ship, Berks county, April 30, 1866, son of Joel and
Burkert, of Vinemont; Amanda, m. to Fred Artzbecher, Sallie Ann (Zettelmoyer) Long.

of Cocalico; Mary, m. to Harry Showalter, of Rein- Joel Long was born in Upper Bern township, Aug.

holds, Pa. ; Kate, m. to Harvey Gehret, of Blainsport, 31, 1838, on the Long homestead, of 130 acres, which

Pa.; and Michael, a painter now living on the old he acquired by purchase in 1878. He was a tiller of

homestead, m. to Cora Keener. the soil all his life, and was very prosperous in his

Joel W. Hainly spent his boyhood days at Rein- undertakings. He died March 19, 1901, in his sixty-
holds, Lancaster county, where he was reared on his third year of age. He voted the Democratic ticket,
father's farm, and remained with his parents until He was honored by his fellow citizens by election to
twenty-one years old, at which time he learned the the offices of township treasurer, assistant assessor,
milling business with Richard Leinbach, near Reams- assessor, tax-collector, election officer, and he was dele-
town, Pa., where he worked about one year. For the gate to county conventions.

following five years he worked in August D. Keener's He and his family belonged to Shartlesville Friedens
mill at Fritztown, and in August, 1886, he removed to Church, of which he was one of the founders in 1870.
Reading and for a short time operated a stationary He was trustee of this church from its organization
engine at a stone crusher. In 1886 Mr. Hainly engaged until death called him to his reward. In 1856 he married
in the hotel business at the Cacoosing, conducting in the sixty-third year of his age. In 1856 he married
that place successfully for one and one-half years, at Sallie Ann Zettelmoyer, daughter of Martin Zettelmoy-
which time he purchased the "Fritztown Hotel," which er and wife (whose name was Sour). They had four-
he greatly improved. He succeeded in building up a teen children — nine sons and five daughters — namely:
large trade, and during his seven years' occupancy of R-ank W., James M.. Mrs. Hettie A. Rerjtschler, Hen-
that site did a very profitable business. Mr. Hainly rietta Long (deceased), Mrs. Alice R. Aschenbach, Mrs.
sold out this place in 1896 at a large profit, and in Kate A. Ney, Henry W., Irwin M. (deceased), Peter c"
the spring of 1897 he removed to Reading, in the fall (deceased), Howard E. (deceased). Jerome (deceased)'
of which year he bought the "Sinking Spring Hotel," Angelina, Manasses M., and Wallace Z. '
one of the oldest hotel stands in Berks county. The Henry W. Long was reared on the home farm and
sinking spring, after which the village was named, obtained his education in the public schools, which he
is located ort his premises, 100 feet from the hotel attended until he was seventeen years of' age He
building. This interesting spring, which was given studied in the Bernville and Strausstown grammar
its name by the Indians, is very strong and runs from schools, and in the spring of 1887, entered the Key-
about January to August, when the water disappears stone State Normal School, graduating in June 1889



616



HISTORY OF BERKS COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



He began teaching in the fall of 1884 at the Bagen-
stose school in his native (now Tilden) township, and
after teaching there three years, entered upon the
normal course as stated. In 1889 and 1890 he taught
at Wernersville, and 1891 to 1894 inclusive at Vogans-
ville, Lancaster county, at an advanced salary. He
then returned to his native township and taught for
six consecutive years. In 1903-04-05 he was in charge
of Sheidy's school, and in the fall of 1906 began teach-
ing at Hahn's school in Muhlenberg township, Berks
county. He is an able, painstaking, conscientious and
successful teacher, and has the respect of the many
pupils he has had during his long career.

In politics Mr. Long is an uncompromising Demo-
crat, and frequently serves on election boards. _ He
was elected as tax collector of Upper Bern township, in
1893-94-95, which office he filled with honor to him-
self and credit to his electors. He has been delegate
to a number of county conventions. He is a Lutheran
member of Shartlesville Friedens Church, in which he
was confirmed in 1880, by the Rev. D. D. Trexler. He
has belonged to the Sunday-school connected with this
church since its organization in 1879. In later years
he became a teacher and superintendent. When he
taught school in Upper. Tulpehocken he became super-
intendent of Sheidy's Union Sunday-school, which
office he filled for three years.

During the summer months Mr. Long filled various
positions, such as cigar-packer, clerk, and book-keeper.
Since 1900 he has been the manager of the Joel Long
estate for the heirs. Mr. Long is an intelligent and
upright citizen, and is respected and esteemed by all
who know him.

J. HOWARD JACOBS, in whose death, which occur-
red Aug. 18, 1902, at his home in Reading, that city lost
one of its good citizens and a professional man of con-
siderable reputation, was born in 1838, in the Conestoga
Valley, in the lower part of Berks county, son of Samuel
and Mary A. (Davies) Jacobs.

Samuel Jacobs was a farmer in the Conestoga Valley.
He and his wife, Mary A. (Davies), were members of
the Episcopal Church. Of their children, Thomas (de-
ceased) was a resident of Iowa; J. Howard is mentioned
below; Mary married Clifton Moore, of Pottstown, Pa.;
Annie married William Morris, of Atlanta, Georgia.

J. Howard Jacobs received his early education in the
public schools, and then studied law in the office of Judge
Banks. After his admission to the Bar of Berks county,
he practised in Reading, where all of his professional life
was passed, becoming a leading member of the legal fra-
ternity. Mr. Jacobs died Aug. 18, 1902, and was buried
four days later in the Charles Evans cemetery.

In 1860 Mr. Jacobs married Hannah E. Creswell, daugh-
ter of Samuel M. and Thomazine (Lincoln) Creswell,
farming people, the former of whom was a Presbyterian
and the latter an Episcopalian. Four children were born
to Mr. and Mrs. Jacobs, as follows: Carrie H., who mar-
ried William Summerville, of Washington, D. C, and has
one child, J. Howard Jacobs; Sallie, who married Pierson
Hofif, and has one child, D. Pierson; Edward H. ; and
J. Howard, an attorney at Reading, who married Margaret
Kalbach. In his political principles Mr. Jacobs vvas a
Repubhcan, and in religious faith an Episcopalian. For
many years he had been identified with the Masons.

DANIEL A. HEFFNER, senior member of the weU
known clothing and men's outfitting firm of Heffner.
Gilbert & Croll, Nos. 418-420 Penn street, Reading)
was born in 1854, in Virginville, Berks county, son
of Solomon And Wilhelmina (Weigley) Heflfner.

In 1749 Heinrich Haeffner came from Eberstadt,
Germany, to America and located in Richmond town-
ship, Berks county, Pa. In 1752 he married Maria
Eva, daughter of Matthaus Kelchner, of that town-
ship. Their children were: John Heinrich, 1754-1825;
Han Georg, 1757-1818; Eva Catharine, born 1760; Eliz-



abeth, born 1762; Eva Magdalene, born 1765; and
Catharine, born 1768.

John Heinrich Haeflner, son of Heinrich, remained
on the old stand in Richmond township, near Virgin-
ville. He married Anna Catharine Kohler, born Sept.
26. 1759, and they had children: Daniel; John; Henry;
Abraham (1789-1854); Samuel (1791-1872); Solomon
(died 1876); Polly (was a cripple); Kate (born 1795);
Hannah (born 1798); and Jacob (1804-1877, is buried
on his land in a private burial ground). John Heinrich
Haeftner was a soldier in 1777 in the Revolutionary war,
and was a prisoner of war in a church in New Jersey. His
relative and neighbor, a Merkel, froze to death in his
arms. He suffered severe hardships through hunger
and cold. He served in Capt. Jacob Baldy's Company,
and Philip Gehr's Battalion.

Solomon HefiEner, son of John Heinrich, married
Rachel Graefif (1802-1849), and they lived at Virgin-
ville. Their children were: Susanna, John,' Solomon
(father of Daniel A.), Hettie, Kate, Mary, Henry and
Lydia G.

Solomon Heffner was born in Virginville, and when
a young man learned engineering, which, however, he
gave up in his latter years on account of failing health,
and went into the hotel business. He died in 1862,
at the age of thirty-five years, and his wife, whose
maiden name was Wilhelmina Weigley, passed away
in 1890, remaining a widow to the end of her life. The
three children born of their marriage were: Solomon;
Emma, m. (first) William Epling. and (second) Henry
Smith; and Daniel A. The family were members of
the Lutheran Church. In political belief Mr. Heffner
was a stanch Democrat.

Daniel A. Heffner was left without a father at a
very tender age, and as a consequence his chances for
an education were limited, most of his learning being
acquired at night schools after a hard day's work. His
first employment was on a farm, and he later worked
in the ore banks of Berks county, but finally he learned
the painting and paper-hanging trade, at which he
worked for several years. Going then to Shenandoah,
he went into the huckstering business, and later was
a clerk in Lenhartsville, from which place he came to
Reading as a clerk for B. H. Brown in the dry goods
business. Mr. Hefiner next removed to Hamburg,
where he engaged in a mercantile business, and this
he conducted successfully for ten years. At the end
of this time he sold out, and in 1884 came to Reading,
where he engaged with Meyers & Heim, tailors and
dealers in men's furnishings, continuing with these
gentlemen until in 1898. In this year with John H.
Gilbert and William M. Croll, Mr. Heflfner established
the business of Heflfner, Gilbert & Croll, which did
business from 1898 until 1904, at No. 528 Penn street.
In the latter named year, on account of press of busi-
ness, they were obliged to seek larger quarters, and
subsequently removed to Nos. 418-420 Penn street,
better known as the J. C. Illig stand. Here the firin
has done a thriving business, carrying a full line of
up-to-date goods. The partners are well known and
popular in the community, and the firm has an. es-
tablished reputation for honesty and integrity, having
the full confidence of the people. Mr. Heffner is also
prominent in fraternal and social organizations, being
connected with Vaux Lodge, No. 406, F. & A. M., of
Hamburg; Excelsior Chapter, No. 437, R. A, M.; Read-
ing Commandery, No. 42, K. T.; Reading Lodge of
Perfection, of which he is a charter , member; Rajah
Temple. A. A. O. N. M. S.; Knights of the Golden
Eagle, Reading; Lodge No. 115, B. P. O. E.. and many
other organizations. In political matters he is a Demo-
crat, Mr. Heffner and his wife attend the Lutheran
Church.

In 1875 Mr. Heffner was married to Agnes Croll,
and to them have been born two daughters: Minnie S.,
m. Joseph R. Sellers, of Reading, and has a son, James
H. ; and Emily May m. Charles Dellinger, of Reading.



1






1






ti^^^^^^jjyBB




I^Mp^^^H|^^^^^B


lfl^fi£^^ll






^^^W •■" ^^^H






^p^^



J. HOWARD JACOBS



BIOGRAPHICAL



617



WILLIAM R. HIGH, a highly respected retired citi-
zen of Reading, Pa., who passed away Aug. 14, 1908, was
born Aug. 10, 1835, in Cumru township, Berks coanty.
Pa., son of Daniel and Esther (Rothermel) High, and
a grandson of Gen. William High, who married Annie
Van Reed.

General William High was also a native of Cumru
township, and for years was a prominent agriculturist
there. His last years were spent in Reading. For a
period of thirty-three years he was a brigadier general
of the State militia and he also served as judge of
probate. His children were: Charles, Daniel, Ezra.
John, Reubin, Isaac (died young), Annie, Sarah, Lucie
and Rebecca. The family was strong in its support
of the Reformed Church.

Daniel High was born in Cumru towriship and fol-
lowed farming as his main occupation throughout his
life. He died in 1839 at the age of thirty-one years.
His widow survived him many years, dying at the
age. of sixty-five. They had five daughters and one
son, as follows: Sarah, m. to Samuel Schepps; Susan,
m. to Nicholas Schaffer; Esther, m. to Frederick
Bechtel; William R., of this sketch; Amanda, m. to
Frederick Hartman; and Mary, who remains single.
In religious belief the members of this family were_ all
of the Reformed faith, with one exception. In political
sentiment they were Denrocratic.

William R. High was educated in the common
schools of Cumru township, and when the time came
for him to choose his life work he decided in favor
of agriculture. For thirty-two years he continued
to be engaged in farming and stock raising, and owned
one of the finest and best developed farms in his lo-
cality. In 1887 he left his farm in Cumru township
and moved to Reading, where he entered into partner-
ship with his son, Daniel K., in the coal business and
continued with him until Daniel sold his interest to
his brother Charles P. The father and son continued
the business until 1903, when the senior member re-
tired and Charles P. still continues to carry on the
business.

On Dec. 11, 1855, Mr. High was married to Lydia
Krick, daughter of Daniel Krick, and they had five
children, namely: Daniel K., William, Henry, Ezra and
Charles.

Up to the time of his death, in spite of his ad-
vanced years, Mr. High very easily superintended the
mahagement of the old High homestead; this was
originally owned by his maternal great-grandfather
Rothermel. He took an active interest in local politics
and public happenings, and was a well known and es-
teemed resident of his neighborhood. Mr. High' was
buried in Yocom's Church in Cumru township.

DANIEL K. HIGH, hosiery manufacturer at Rob-
esonia. Pa., was born in Cumru township, on the old
High homestead which has been in the family since
1747, May 22, 1856, son of William R. High. His
early education was obtained in the district schools and
later he went to Palatinate College, Myerstown, and D.
B. Brunner's Academy in Reading. He was licensed
to teach by County Superintendent, D. B. Brunner, in
1874. He taught two terms in his native township,
one at the Cedar Top school and the other at the
Kurtz school, meeting with great success as a teacher.
He was reared to farm work, and continued at it sum-
mers until he was sixteen. In 1876 he went to Read-
ing and entered the dry goods store of B. H. Brown,
remaining in his employ for a period of two years. He
then entered into partnership with Howard Kauffman,
under the firm name of High & Kaufifman, dealers in
dry goods and groceries and general merchandise. This
firm continued with success for two years, when ow-
ing to failing health Mr. High was obliged to sell to
Mr. A. S. Deeter and his brother Wm. F. High, who
later also sold his share to A. S. Deeter, and the latter



has continued the business to the present time. Mr. High



Online LibraryMorton L. (Morton Luther) MontgomeryHistorical and biographical annals of Berks County, Pennsylvania, embracing a concise history of the county and a genealogical and biographical record of representative families, comp. by Morton L. Montgomery .. → online text (page 173 of 227)