Morton L. (Morton Luther) Montgomery.

Historical and biographical annals of Berks County, Pennsylvania, embracing a concise history of the county and a genealogical and biographical record of representative families, comp. by Morton L. Montgomery .. online

. (page 176 of 227)
Online LibraryMorton L. (Morton Luther) MontgomeryHistorical and biographical annals of Berks County, Pennsylvania, embracing a concise history of the county and a genealogical and biographical record of representative families, comp. by Morton L. Montgomery .. → online text (page 176 of 227)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


learned the cabinet makers' trade, which he followed a
few years on Penn street, Reading. The work not
proving congenial, Mr. Esterly engaged with the Read-
ing Railroad in the car shops, and remained therein
for about two and a half years, when he was trans-
ferred to Philadelphia, where he became car inspector.
After nine and a half years in that position, Mr. Ester-
ly returned to Reading and engaged in the produce
business at No. 15 North Sixth street, in 1865, and
later in 1868 took his brother Augustus as a partner.
They later removed to the corner of Seventh and Penn
streets, and continued business together at that stand
until the spring of 1876. Their business became so
prosperous that they had four private cars built, the
first one, a four wheeler, being built at a cost of $400,
and the second, an eight wheeler, at a cost of $350.
In 1897 Mr. Esterly retired from the produce business
and engaged in the wholesale grocery business at No.
818 Penn street, until 1901, when he retired. He was
known as one of the largest commission merchants of
Reading, his four cars running daily between Philadel-
phia and Reading. Mr. Esterly built his fine home in



624



HISTORY OF BERKS COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



1874, at No. 116 South Eighth .street, and there he
has since resided.

Mr. Esterly married Mary Miller, daughter of_ Dan-
iel Miller, a well known blacksmith, and she died in
1889, the mother of these children: Joseph, a grocer
salesman, of Reading, m. Lavina Quimby, and has two
children, Daniel and Joseph H.; and Clara A. m.
George W. Noecker and has a son Alpheus (m. Caro-
lina, daughter of Edward and Kate (Homan) Taenzer).

In politics Mr. Esterly is a Democrat, and is a mem-
ber of the board of health. He has been a member of
the Reading Board of Trade for many years. He is a
member of the Baptist Church, has been a deacon for
fifteen years, and treasurer of the Baptist Association
for the past fifteen years. Fraternally he is a member
of Richmond Lodge No. 330, F. & A. M., of Phila-
delphia; the Good Fellows, No. 32, of Philadelphia;
and also the Odd Fellows.

GEORGE E. HAAK is widely acquainted in and
known around Reading as proprietor of the Sienna Paint,
Kaolin & Sand Works, being particularly well known
among builders. His reputation in fraternal societies is
even more extensive, his services in forming and pro-
moting such organizations in this part of' Pennsylvania
having been particularly valuable.

The Haak family has long been represented among the
prosperous agricultural class of Berks county. John Jacob
Haak, the first American ancestor of George E., sailed
from Deal, England, on the ship "Mortonhouse," John
Coulter, master, June 15, 1738, and arrived Aug. 24th
of the same year. In that same year he is noted as a
member of the Lutheran Church at Tulpehocken, Berks
county.

John Haak, the grandfather of George E., was a farmer
and large landowner in Alsace township, this county. He
married Elizabeth Krause, a native of Berks county, and
they had, a family of five children, namely: William,
Isaac, John, Rebecca (Mrs. Addams) and Michael. They
were Lutherans in religious faith, and in politics John
Haak supported the Whig party, and later the Repub-
lican.

Michael Haak, son of John, was born in 1803 in Berks
county, was reared to farming, and continued to follow
that calling all his life. Like his father he was a Entheran
in religion and a Republican in politics. He married
Sarah Addams, and to them were born the following
named children : Annie E. m. William A. Robinson ;
Mary C. m. Thomas Munce; George E. is mentioned
below; Clara V. m. John H. Rhoads.

George E. Haak was born Oct. 3, 1843, in Leesport,
Berks county, Pa., and received his education in the
public schools of Alsace township, Lititz, Lancaster Co.,
Pa., and Reading. In 1874 he formed a partnership with
Francis Keffer, conducting a glass and queensware busi-
ness at No. 520 Penn street and continuing thus for three
and a half years. After this experience he engaged in
business for himself at No. 313 Penn street in the same
line, continuing for ten years, and after the death of his
father he took charge of the Haak estate, of which he
had been appointed executor under the provisions of his
father's will. This estate comprises 229 acres in East
Reading, which at that time was counted among the
most valuable land in Berks county, the finest deposits
of kaolin and sienna in the United States being located
thereon. It also contains a valuable sand deposit, un-
equalled anywhere in the State, the product of which has
been approved and adopted by the Reading school board
for their buildings, in the construction of which no other
sand is used. Mr. Haak furnishes sand and other pro-
ducts to many of the principal builders of Reading. Pie
was one of the organizers of the Schuylkill Valley Bank,
and served as a director of that institution for five years.
Mr. Haak is a man of note in social organizations,
in which he has taken the deepest interest for a number
of years. He has a nature which attracts and holds
friendship, as is evidenced by his influential standing in
a number of fraternities. He is a past master of Lodge



No. 63, F. & A. M.; past high priest of Excelsior Chap-
ter, No. 237; past eminent commander of Reading Com-
mandery. No. 42, K T. ; and a prominent member of
Rajah Temple, A. A. O. N. M. S., of Reading, o^ which
he was the organizer and first potentate. Mr. Haak was
the first member at Reading in both the Knights of. the
Golden Eagle and the Royal Arcanum; he was the first
captain of a fully equipped company in Philadelphia and
first m^jor of the battalion.

REV. WILLIAM F. P. DAVIS was born in Paradise
•township, York county. Pa., a rural district in the
south-eastern part of this State, Oct. 1, 1831, son of
John and Isabella Davis, the latter a daughter of the
late Rev. Frederick William Vandersloot, and grand-
daughter of one of the earliest ministers of the Re-
formed Church in this country, of the same name — a
sister, accordingly, of the Revs. Frederick WilHam and
F. Edward Vandersloot, and aunt of the late Rev. J.
S. Vandersloot, son of the Rev. F. Edward and a cou-
sin of Mr. Davis. She was also a grand-daughter, on
her mother's side, of the Rev. Philip Reinhold Pauli,
for many years pastor of a Reformed Church in the
city of Reading, Pa. — the father of the brethren Revs.
Williams and Charles Augustus Pauli — her uncles —
who, for many successive years exercised their min-
istry in the city of Reading and vicinity — the former
as successor to his venerable father. Mr. Davis was
accordingly a direct descendant of both the Pauli and
the Vandersloot families, so long and so prominently
represented in the ministry of the Reformed Church of
this country.

Mr. Davis was baptized, in infancy, by his maternal
uncle, the Rev. F. Edward Vandersloot, and subse-
qviently catechised and confirmed by the Rev. Daniel
Ziegler, D. D., and received as a communicant member
of the Straeher's church, in York county. Pa. In
early life already he felt himself powerfully drawn
towards the work of the holy ministry, so largely
represented by his ancestors, but was prevented from
entering the sacred office for want of means to prose-
cute the studies necessary to qualify him for the work.
He learned the trade of a saddler and spent a number
of years in this occupation. In this way he sought
to acquire the means necessary for the prosecution of
his literary and theological studies. He commenced
his preparatory course in the excellent high school
or academy kept for many years and successfully pre-
sided over by the late Prof. Geo. W. Ruby, Ph. D.,
in York, Pa. Subsequently he entered Franklin and
Marshall College, at Lancaster, Pa., where he graduated
in 1861, after which he entered the Theological Semin-
ary of the Reformed Church, then located at Mercers-
burg, Pa., and completed his studies in the same in
1863. During his student life, he was in the habit of
working with the farmers, in the vicinity of Lan-
caster, many of whom still remember him and speak
of him with respect as an industrious and skillful
laborer. His excellent character and conduct made a
very favorable impression on the minds of these sim-
ple-hearted and' unsophisticated tillers of the soiL
They saw that a student, devoted to science and litera-
ture, possessed at the same time both the requisite will
and capacity to engage in useful manual labor.

In the spring of 1863 Mr. Davis was licensed by
the Zion's Classis, and during the same year ordained
and installed as pastor of the Abbottstown or New
Oxford charge, in Adams county, Pa. This first
charge he served faithfully and with success for a
period of about nine years. After the death of his
relative, the Rev. Charles Augustus Pauli, in the fall
of 1871, Mr. Davis became his successor in the Sink-
ing Spring charge, in Berks county. Pa., then com-
posed of five congregations, namely, Sinking Spring.
Hain's, Yocom's, Kissinger's and St. John's at Ham-
burg. Several of these congregations he subsequently
resigned and had the charge reconstructed, so that
latterly it consisted of four congregations. He served




;=%.






cijCJU-n±_



BIOGRAPHICAL



635



his people faithfully, and, as a consequence, was high-
ly respected and loved by them. In several of the
congregations he was particularly successful in gath-
ering in members, and thus adding to the numerical
strength of the charge. His preaching was of a high
order — practical and popular. He preached the Gospel
in its purity, excellence and saving power; and his
efforts were crowned with signal success. He officiated
in both the English and German languages, using them
with equal facility, accuracy and effect. Taken alto-
gether, Mr. Davis was one of our best and most suc-
cessful pastors, sincerely devoted to the spiritual wel-
fare of his numerous parishioners, and well deserving
of their grateful remembrance.

Mr. Davis was married to Miss Ellen E. Myers, of
York, Pa., Oct. 22, 1863. They had ten children, seven
of whom — five sons and two daughters— survive their
sainted father. Three of the children preceded him
to the eternal world.

Mr. Davis was a heavy-built man, of robust consti-
tution and general good health. He was, however,
predisposed to apoplexy. As far back as the 12th of
March, 1881, he had an attack of this kind, from which,
however, he soon recovered sufficiently to enable him
to attend to the duties of his calling. On the 21st of
February, 188S', he had a second attack, from which he
never fully recovered. Still, although partially disabled,
he continued to attend to his pastoral duties, but not
without considerable effort and inconvenience. At
length he was so much debilitated that he could scarce-
ly conduct the services of the sanctuary. A few weeks
prior to his decease, he told his congregations that
he needed at least three months' rest, and, as advised
by his physicians, entire freedom from clerical duties.
By that time he hoped to be able to see whether he
could further serve his congregations or not. He was
advised to take a voyage to Europe, and, on the day
preceding his death he completed his arrangements for
the proposed trip. Shortly before midnight, on the
10th of June, he had a third attack of the fatal disease.
He lay in an unconscious state until the next morning,
Monday, June 11, 1883. when between five and six
o'clock, in the bosom of his family, at Reading, Pa.,
Brother Davis gently fell asleep in Jesus, aged 51 years,
8 months and 10 days. His funeral took place on
Thursday following, at one o'clock p. m. The services
were held in St. Paul's Reformed Church, at Reading,
of which the family were members. A large number
of the members of the several churches which Brother
Davis served were present to testify their love and
attachment to their esteemed pastor. Some forty or
fifty ministers of different denominations were also
present at these solemnities, many of whom took part
in the same. The services at the house were conducted
by the Rev. Dr. McCauley. The assembled multitude
then went to St. Paul's Church. Dr. Miller, of York,
Pa., read the Scripture lesson and offered a prayer in
English. He was succeeded by the Rev. Dr. Kremer
in a German prayer. Rev. A. S. Leinbach preached
a German discourse from Rev, 2: 10: "Be thou faith-
ful unto death, etc." Rev. Dr. Bausman preached an
English sermon from 2. Tim. 4: 5-8. The Rev. L. K.
Evans conducted the services at the grave. The breth-
ren. Revs. H. Mosser, D. B. Albright, T. C. Leinbach,
A. J. Bachman, John H. Leinbach, and L. D. Steckel,
acted as pall-bearers.

Beautiful and affecting was the presence of so large
a number of the members of the pastoral charge of
Brother Davis to testify their extreme sorrow, and
bear testimony to the zeal and fidelity of their beloved
pastor. Beautiful and appropriate, also, was it that so
large a number of his clerical brethren should be pres-
ent and participate in the solemnities attending the
final disposal of his mortal remains. It was, at the
same time,, hard to see the stricken^ wife and mother
with her seven sorrowing children sitting beside the
open coffin of a beloved husband and a kind father,
of whom they had been suddenly and unexpectedly de-
40



prived. Here was room for the consoling promises of
Him who is the "Father of the fatherless," and a
"judge of the widow." Well is it for us all to remem-
ber under such circumstances what is written: "Blessed
are the dead who die in the Lord, from henceforth:
Yea, saith the Spirit — that they may rest from their
labors, and their works do follow them."

JAMES C. BENADE, who for a number of years
was well known to the citizens of Reading, Pa., as an
artist, was born in Lititz, son of Bishop Andrew and
Maria (Henry) Benade, the latter a daughter of Judge
Henry of Lancaster.

Bishop Andrew Benade was of the Moravian denomi-
nation, and was a very prominent man in his day. His
death occurred in 1859, at the age of ninety-two years,
his wife having passed away several years prior to
this. They were the parents of: William, deceased,
who was bishop at Philadelphia; Charles, an inventor;
James C. Bishop Benade had two daughters, Lucia
and Mary, by a former marriage.

James C. Benade was taken to Salem, N. C, when a
child, but when ten years of age was brought back to
Lititz by his parents, and received his education at
Nazareth Hall, Nazareth, Pa. Even at this early age
he showed remarkable talent, and when a youth took
up oil and water color painting, becoming a noted
artist. He settled in Reading in 1837. His death oc-
curred in 1853, at the age of thirty-two years, and he
was interred in the Charles Evans cemetery. In 1845
he married Miss Sarah Moers, daughter of Daniel and
Henrietta (Nagle) Moers. To this union there were
born children as follows: James A., deceased; Patrick
H., of Jefferson county. Pa.; Esther H., who conducts
a private preparatory school, and Sarah M., both of
Reading. In religious belief Mr. Benade was a Mo-
ravian.

DANIEL G. LEINBACH, an aged citizen of Read-
ing now living retired at No. 639 Pine street, was born
in Exeter township, Berks county, Dec. 13, 1829, son of
P'rederick and Maria (Guldin) Leinbach.

Frederick Leinbach, father of Daniel G., was a black-
smith by trade, but owned a farm riear Leesport and
gave a considerable part of his time to managing that
property. Later in life his farming interests were
in Exeter township. He died at that second home-
stead aged fifty-seven years, leaving' a widow and
children. His wife, whose maiden name was Maria
Guldin, lived to the age of sixty. Only five of their
family still survive, namely: Daniel and Albei't, re-
tired; Mahlon; Jonathan G. ; and Mary, widow of James
Levan, a resident of Reading.

Daniel G. Leinbach received his education in the
schools of his native township and between the terms
worked at farming. When he reached the age of sev-
enteen he turned his attention toward blacksmith work
and under the instruction of his father became an
adept at that trade, following it for six years. He
then learned boiler making and after mastering that
trade, secured a position in the works of the Phila-
delphia & Reading Railway Company. The fact that
he remained there for thirty-one years, sufficiently at-
tests his efficiency as a worker. On Oct. 13, 1887, he
retired from their employ, and for the next eleven
years was employed by his brother J. G. Leinbach in
the latter's mill. Since 1900, he has given up all active
work, owing to advancing years and now lives retired
at his home on Pine street. Mr. Leinbach has accumu-
lated a comfortable property and owns considerable
real estate, being the possessor of two houses in the
First ward, two in the Second and one each in the
Tenth and Sixteenth wards. '

On Oct. 14, 1849, Mr. Leinbach married Catherine,
daughter of John and Catherine (Heckler) Levan, and
the following children have been born to them:
Mary, m. to Frank Mallon; Ellen, m. to Charles
Evans; Martha, m. to Samuel Rolland; Anna



636 HISTORY OF BERKS COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA

E., unmarried, who is her father's housekeeper. Mrs. izations, many friends, and attached fellow citizens,

Leinbach died Nov. 4, 1S94, aged sixty-eight years and to mourn his loss. He belonged to the First Reformed

nine months, and was interred in Aulenbach's ceme- Church, having united with the society in 1883. In

tery. Mr. Leinbach belongs to several fraternal orders, politics he was a Republican, and a faithful worker

being a member of Mt. Penn Lodge, I. O. O. F.; of in the ranks of that party. He was always a loyal

Freedom Circle, Brotherhood of the Union; and of the citizen, uphcilding American institutions. His fra-

Rebekah Lodge, L O. O. F. Religiously he is a mem- ternal connections were with the Masons, he being a

ber of the German Reformed Church of Reading. In member of Chandler Lodge, No. 227, F. & A. M., of

his earlier days, during the war, Mr. Leinbach saw Reading,
some military service, enlisting in 1863 for three

months. His has been an industrious useful life, and A. W. FISHER, a prominent wholesale wine_ and

he has well earned the freedom from care' he now liquor dealer, of Reading, Pa., whose place of business

enjoys and the respect of the community which is is situated at the corner of Second and Penn streets,

so freely accorded him. was born in West Reading, Spring township. May 27,

1851, son of William L. and Mary (Weitzel) Fisher,

WILLIAM M. FULTON, deceased, was identified and a grandson of John and Barbara (Lichty) Fisher,

with the building interests of Reading, Pa., for rnany John Fisher was born in Windsor township, Berks

years. He was a descendant of a family whose rtiern- county, in 1800, and lived near Monterey, where he

bers were men of influence, highly respected and was engaged in the building and furniture business,

valuable citizens. and where all his children were born. He also had stone

His great-grandfather, Samuel Fulton, a captain quarries and a lime kiln on the Allentown road east of

in the Revolutionary war for six years, was in the Monterey church. It is thought that he built the old

battles of Long Island and Brandywine, in one of stone church and school house at Monterey. In 1842

these battles receiving a body wound, but he stood he gave up the building business and moved to .Oley

with his men nevertheless. He was in the battle township. About a year later a freshet in Monocacy

of Staten Island, and marched from thence to White Creek carried away fences and washed out the grain

Plains. He was in the Indian wars, and in the battle fields, and he moved to Cumru township, and about

of Shamokin was wounded in the knee. He captured 1846-47 he located on the farm at the junction of

large quantities of furs and booty from the British and Wyomissing creek and the Schuylkill river, where he

Indians. died in 1849. In 1821 he married Barbara Lichty, and

Samuel Fulton, grandfather of William M., was a they had the following children: Charles; Hettie, m. to

color bearer in the war of 1812. He married Jenny Joseph Markley; Gideon; William L., the father of A.

McClain, daughter of Andrew McClain, who was a W.; John; Daniel L., of Philadelphia, Pa.; Sarah;

son of Lord Steel McClain, a Scotchman. He came Amelia, m. to Frank Adams, of Reading (they have a

over from Scotland with Lord Baltimore. He, too, was daughter, Miss Mary, a supervisor of schools in Read-

a captain in the Revolutionary war, and for his great ing, since 1906) ; and one child who died in infancy,

bravery at the battle, or the storming of. Stony Point, The family were members of the Lutheran Church.

forty miles above New York, on the Hudson river, was Mr. Fisher was a Democrat in politics. His first wife

awarded by Congress a gold medal. He ordered the died while yet a young woman, and he m. (second)

medal given to his namesake, Andrew McClain Fulton, Polly Leader, by whom one son, Glancey, was born,

at his death. John Fisher had two brothers and a sister: George;

Andrew McClain Fulton, father of William M., was a Solomon; and Mary, who married Philip Ziegler, a

native of Ohio, where he was liberally educated and farmer near Rothrocksville, in Lehigh county, near

became an attorney-at-law. In 1873 he moved to Read- the Berks county line, and had thirteen children, of

ing and practiced his profession until incapacitated whom five, all over seventy years of age, are still

by failing health. He retired from professional work living — Daniel (aged ninety-seven years), William (of

and engaged in farming in Curaru township, removing Allentown), David (on the homestead), Mary (aged

later to Muhlenberg township, where he died in 1902, seventy-six years, widow of Joseph Miller, of near

aged eighty years. His first wife, Hattie (Wasson) Topton) and Gideon (of Allentown). The maiden

Fulton, died in 1863, leaving two children, William name of Mr. Fisher's mother was Hauer, and her

M. and Jennie, the latter of whom is principal of the brother, the late George Hauer, was a prominent mer-

Lewistown, Mont., central school. Mr. and Mrs. Fulton chant in Windsor township.

were both members of the Presbyterian Church. An- William L. Fisher, son of John, was born in Berks

drew McC. Fulton married (second) Mary Schwartz, county and was educated in the public schools. He

daughter of Hon. John Schwartz, M. C. Four children was reared to the life of a farmer, and this he followed

were born to this union, namely: Elizabeth; John S., of in connection with trucking, owning a small tract of

New York; Margaret, who married Horad Wolleth; land near the Cacoosing, where he also conducted a

and Elmer O., of Muhlenberg township, Berks Co., Pa. country hotel. It is said that none of this family used

The father was a Republican in his political belief. malt or spirituous liquors. Mr. Fisher conducted his

Williarn M. Fulton was born Nov. 3, 1858, in Ash- hotel for several years, but later sold out and removed
land, Ohio, and was educated in the schools there, to Reading, where he opened a cafe on the site of
completing his training at a commercial college in Read- the present Schuylkill Valley Bank. This was in
ing, after his father settled there. He then accepted a 1876 and he remained in business with his son, A. W.,
position as clerk in the Philadelphia & Reading freight until his death, in 1882, aged fifty-five years. He was
depot, where he worked for five years and then took considered a very good citizen. Mr. Fisher was a
up general contracting. This business he followed for very powerfully built man, his weight being 265 pounds,
the rest of his life, accumulating a large amount of He and his wife were the parents of seven children,
property. He owned a quarry at the west end of the four sons of whom died in infancy, A. W. being the
Penn street bridge. only son to survive. The daughters were: Emma, de-
Mr. Fulton was married in 1883, to Catharine R. ceased, m. to Ephraim Miller; and Agnes, m. to jere-
Kline, a daughter of Simon and Catharine (Noll) Kline, miah Eppling. Both Mr. and Mrs. William Fisher
and to this marriage two children were born, namely: were members of the Lutheran Church. He was
S. McClain, who died aged five months and eighteen a Democrat up to the time of Abraham Lincoln's cam-
days; and Jennie M., who is a graduate of the class of paign, when he cast his lot with the Republican
1907, girls' high school, Reading, and she is now a party. Mrs. Fisher died in 1874, aged fiftV-three



Online LibraryMorton L. (Morton Luther) MontgomeryHistorical and biographical annals of Berks County, Pennsylvania, embracing a concise history of the county and a genealogical and biographical record of representative families, comp. by Morton L. Montgomery .. → online text (page 176 of 227)