Morton L. (Morton Luther) Montgomery.

Historical and biographical annals of Berks County, Pennsylvania, embracing a concise history of the county and a genealogical and biographical record of representative families, comp. by Morton L. Montgomery .. online

. (page 177 of 227)
Online LibraryMorton L. (Morton Luther) MontgomeryHistorical and biographical annals of Berks County, Pennsylvania, embracing a concise history of the county and a genealogical and biographical record of representative families, comp. by Morton L. Montgomery .. → online text (page 177 of 227)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


student at the Teachers College, New York City. years.

The death of Mr. Fulton took place July 10, 1899, A. W. Fisher was educated in the common schools

He left a devoted family, members of various organ- of West Reading, and until 1876 worked upon a farm



BIOGRAPHICAL 627

■when, with his father, he came to Reading and en- certain that, he was a man of intelligence and stand-
gaged in the cafe business. Like his father, Mr. Fisher ing. His will, made April 26, 1782, was probated
is a very large man. At the age of fourteen years June 4, 1784, the year of his death, which occurred
his weight was 263 pounds, and today his average at a ripe old age. He was buried at Sinking Spring,
weight is 340 pounds. He enjoys the very best of health,- in the Baptist burial-ground back of the old eight-
and is as supple and active as many a man of half cornered school-house still standing. He reared -a
his weight. Since 1895 Mr. Fisher has devoted his large, family of sturdv sons and daughters, allof whom
time solely to the wholesale business, and built his became useful men and women. Thirteen children are
present place of business in 1901, the structure being mentioned in his will as heirs, and the sons Francis
three stories high, and 20x98 feet in dimensions. He and George were executors of the will. In February,
also owns the store property at No. 114 Penn street, 1782, Frantz Kriick sold some of his land to his son
and handles a choice line of domestic and imported Frantz (Francis), who gave his father bonds of £50
liquors, having the reputation of conducting one of denomination each, and the will specified the dates
the best kept places in the city of Reading. He com- upon which these bonds were to be redeemed. We
mands the best trade in Reading and the surrounding have the following record of the fainily: (1) John,
country. Although giving his business the closest at- born in Germany, came to America with his parents,
tention, Mr. Fisher finds time for recreation, being In 1759 he paid £3 tax in Cumru township. His
very fond of fishing, and many of the finny tribe have name appears in the roster of Capt. Jacob Myers' Corn-
yielded to his rod and line. Mr. Fisher spends his pany, 6th Pennsylvania Battalion, 1782. This corn-
vacations at Anglesea, New Jersey. pany had organized and was ready to respond to the

Mr. Fisher has been twice married, his first wife call, but there was no actual service performed. John

being Miss Emma Quinter, who died in 1895, leaving was married but had no children. He was a black-

these children: William, deceased; George L.; Adam smith by trade. He died in 1800. (2) Jacob also came

S.; Edgar R.; and Helen M. Mr. Fisher's second to America with his parents. His name appears

marriage occurred in 1897, to Agnes Focht, daughter among the' single men in the tax list of 1759. He was,

of Solomon Focht. Politically Mr. Fisher is a Re- however, married, as would appear from the baptis-

publican. He is a member of Chandler Lodge, No. mal records of Hain's Church. He had the follow-

227, F. & A. M., Knights of the Golden Eagle, and ing children: John Jacob, Maria and John George,

the I. O. R. M., being also a member of the Maen- He saw active service in the Revolutionary war in

nerchor and the Reading Fishing Club. Capt. Reehm's Company of the 1st Regiment of Berks,

County Militia in an expedition to Newtown, Bucks

KRICK. The Krick family is one of the most num- county. (3) Francis is mentioned below. (4) George

erous and prosperous in the Schuylkill section of Berks (known as "Blind George"), born May 8, 1738, died

county. The name has been a familiar one in that Sept. 9, 1825. He m. Margarita Seitzinger and was the

locality for a hundred and fifty years, associated in- father of a large family, Solomon, William, John,

variably with good citizenship, thrift and integrity, its George. Isaac, Philip, Samuel, and eight daughters,

members in every generation having been jealous of He was a taxpayer in Heidelberg township in 1759.

their good repute and mindful of the honorable tra- A few years later he moved back to Cumru, now Spring

ditions of their ancestors. All of the land purchased township, and purchased a farm between Sinking Spring

by Frantz Kruck (as the name was originally spelled), and Reading, where he conducted a hotel for a number

the founder of the family in America, is still owned of years. He is buried at Sinking Spring. (5) Adam

by his descendants. His posterity is especially well (there is no record of him). (6) Philip was captain

known in Cumru, Spring, Heidelberg, Windsor and of the 8th Company, Berks County Militia, Aug. 5,

Tulpehocken townships, Berks county. Some of his 1777, to Jan. 5, 1778. This company joined the army

descendants have also located in Lancaster. Union after the battle of Brandywine and took part in the

and Mifflin counties. battle of Germantown. No doubt he spent the winter

Frantz Kruck was a native of Germany, born in the at Valley Forge. We have no record of his family

Rhein Pfalz in October, 1702. Having one night in a (7) Peter, the youngest son of Frantz Kriick, was born

mischievous mood upset a sentinel (schilder) house he June 27, 1756, and died July 31, 1829. He was a soldier

was found out, and in order to escape the punishment in the Revolution in the 8th Company, 6th Battalion,

came to America, arriving at Philadelphia, Sept. 11, and saw active service. He was known as "School

1731, on the good ship "Pennsylvania Merchant." Set- Teacher" Peter and taught school near Sinking Spring,

tling in the Cacoosing valley, along the Cacoosing and was also teacher and "Forsinger" at the Muddy

creek, in what is now Berks county. Pa., he became Creek Church. He m. Catharine Rader, and was the

the owner of considerable land, originally owning a father of a large family, as follows: Rachael m. Henry

tract of 350 acres, in five parts, and later increasing Young; Elizabeth m. John Salladay; Katharine m.

his holdings to 750 acres. His property was in Cumru Philip Getz; John m. a Hornberger; Lelia m. Frederic

(now Spring) township, and comprised what is now Auman; Susanna m. Jacob Buchart; Mary m. Rudy

the finest and most valuable agricultural land in the Miller; Adam m. Catharine Fisher, and lived at

county. He devoted the rest of his life to the im- Reading; Barbara m. Daniel NefT; Magdalena m. John

provement of his holdings, and his descendants have Luft; Christianna m. a Rupp ; Jonas moved to Holli-

followed in his footsteps to such an extent that his daysburg; William moved to Hamburg; Peter moved

property is still in their possession, and in some to Lancaster; John Jacob. (8) Margareth m. Michael

cases has been farmed by the sixth generation. A Seitzinger. (9) Elizabeth m. Philip Worheim. (10)

part of the original land secured by him from the Maria m. John Philip Spohn. (11) Catharine, born

Penns in 1737 is now owned by Rev. Thomas H. Krick, Oct. "14. 1749, m. Jacob Ruth. (12) Eva. (13)' Mag-

a descendant of the sixth generation. When the city dalena m. George Hain.

of Reading was laid out, in 1749, Francis Creek (as Frantz (or Francis) Krick, third son of the original
the name was Anglicized when he secured land from settler, was born Nov. 6, 1736, in Cumru (now Spring)
the Penns) became the owner of lots Nos. 490 and township, and died April 20, 1814, aged seventy-seven
491. In 1759 he paid £19 taxes in Cumru town- years, five months, fourteen days. He was a shoe-
ship, an amount equal to $50.54, a Pennsylvania pound maker by trade. In 1759 he paid £3 tax in Cumru. He
being valued at $2.66. He was an industrious and was a private in Capt. Charles Gobin's Company, in
well-to-do man, and the records of his extensive land 1780, during the Revolution, serving from Aug. ioth
transactions and dealings with the early settlers are to Sept. 9th of that year, and saw actual service in
proof that he was well educated, old papers that he the war. In 1757 he married Maria Spohn, who died
signed being written in a good German hand. There in 1785, and his second marriage was to Catherine
is a family tradition that he was of royal blood, and it is Schlegel, widow of Frantz Gehrling. She was born



628



HISTORY OF BERKS COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



March 1, 1736, was first married in 1754, and died
March 1, 1830, aged ninety-four years. No children
were born to this second marriage. The names of his
children appear in his will, and the dates of birth are
given in the family Bible: Catharine, born Dec. 20,
1758, m. William Brown; Jacob, born Aug. 27, 1760,
moved to near Richmond, Va.; Maria, born July 30,
1762, m. a Mr. Brown; John Adam was born March
4. 1765 (he had a daughter Catharine, who married
Henry Snider and had a son, George) ; John was born
April 11, 1767; Philip, born Oct. 4, 1769, moved to
Wooster, Ohio; George, born Sept. 8, 1771, m. Cath-
arine Wagner; Crete or Margaret (known by both
names), born Aug. 29, 1773, m. William Fisher; Francis,
born Feb. 8, 1776, m. Hannah Gehrling; Peter, born
Feb. 28, 1779, m. Elizabeth Hill. The son Francis,
the third of that name, was the sole executor of
his father's large estate. The will was witnessed by
John Spyker and Jacob Lambert, and was probated
June 8, 1814. Francis (3) disposed of- his farm to
Francis (3) in the same way that Francis (1) had sold
it to Francis (2), by bonds.

Francis Krick, son of Frantz and Maria (Spohn)
Krick, was born Feb. 8, 1776, at the homestead, and
died May 19, 1863', aged eighty-seven years, three
months, eleven days. He was a farmer in very com-
fortable circumstances, owning about four hundred
acres of valuable land. He was a soldier in the war of
1812-15. He married Hannah Gehrling, born June 4,
1774, died Feb. 3, 1842. They had a large family,
two sons and seven daughters, and we have record
of the following: Jacob is mentioned below; Katie,
born May 7, 1801, died in infancy; Daniel is mentioned
below; Elizabeth, born April 11, 1806, m. Daniel Bross-
man; Sarah, born June 1, 1808, m. Israel Grimes; Han-
nah, born May 9, 1810, m. Adam Bohn; Maria (Polly),
born July 20, 1813, m. Abraham Briel ; Esther, born
Nov. 22, 1815,

Jacob Krick, son of Francis and Hannah (Gehrling)
Krick, born in 1798, at the homestead, died Dec. 20,
1883. Like all his immediate ancestors he was a life-
long agriculturist, and prospered so well in his chosen
calling that he was able to present each of his
sons a farm when they left home. He was a zealous
church worker, being an official member of St. John's
Reformed Church of Sinking Spring, and was known
to all as a worthy and substantial citizen. He is
buried at that church. Jacob Krick was married April
12, 1829, to Catharine Bechtel, and they became the
parents of four sons and four daughters, namely: Wil-
liam, born Oct. 10. 1829, lived and died in Lower Heid-
elberg township; Mary, born Oct. 26, 1831, m. Daniel
Seltzer, of Lower Heidelberg township ; Jacob B., born
March 10, 1833, now a retired resident of Sinking
Spring, m. Sarah A. Seltzer; Richard B.. born Feb.
1, 1835, is a resident of Sinking Spring; Francis B,,
born June 2, 1836, died in Sinking Spring in 1902;
Hannah, born April 4, 1834, and Sarah, July 5, 1839,
both unmarried, have a comfortable home together
at Sinking Spring; Susan, born Feb. 34. 1843, m. Jacob
Eckert, of Wernersville.

Jacob B. Krick, son of Jacob, was born at the old
homestead in Cumru (now Spring) township, March
10, 1833. He remained at home working for his father
until he was past thirty-two years old, after whieh he
continued his labors upon the same property, but upon
his owti account, living at the old Krick place until
he decided to retire from the arduous work of the
farm, in 1887. He then moved into Sinking Spring,
where he has since resided, and in 1897 he purchased
his present dwelling, formerly the Hettinger residence,
on Main street. Here he has a most comfortable home,
the house being one of the largest in the village and
delightfully located. Though Mr. Krick has not en-
gaged personally in the cultivation of the soil for
many years he has retained possession of the old
hornestead, which now comprises eighty-seven acres,
besides twenty-five acres of woodland.



During his active years Mr. Krick devoted himself
thoroughly to business, attending to his work, and the
management of his property with intelligence as well
as industry, with excellent results. But he also found
time for the development of his social and religious
tendencies, and the associations growing out of such
relationships have given him many pleasant interests
for his leisure years. He holds membership in Coun-
cil No. 77, Jr. O. U. A. M., and the K. G. E., No. 334,
both of Sinking Spring, and is a past officer of both
organizations. He is a Reformed member of St. John's
Church at Sinking Spring, which he has served as dea-
con and elder for many years, and he has proved
his worth to the community in various other capaci-
ties. While living on the farm he was for six years
school director of Spring township. He is a Demo-
crat in politics.

Mr. Krick married, Sept. 19, 1863, Sarah A. Seltzer,
daughter of William and Catharine (Ruth) Seltzer, of
Womelsdorf, Berks county, and they have had three
children, two daughters and one son, the latter still-
born. Of the daughters, Mary Annie m. Isaac Het-
tinger, of Kansas City, Mo., proprietor of the Hettinger
Bros. Manufacturing Company, of Kansas City, Mo.,
and 'Madison, Wis., manufacturers of dental surgical
supplies, electrici batteries, elastic goods, etc.; they
have three children, Emily C. Evelyn G. and Francis
K. Emily S. Krick, born Oct. 31, 1867, died Oct. 27,
1896. Mrs. Krick and her daughters united with St.
John's Church as Reformed members.



Daniel Krick, son of Francis and Hannah (Gehrling)
Krick, was born Oct. 28, 1804, in Spring township, and
there passed his life engaged in farming. About a
year before his death he moved with his son, Henry B.,
to a farm in Lower Heidelberg, near the Cacoosing,
where he died April 16, 1864. In 1833 he married Susan
Bohn, daughter of George Bohn (son of Frederick
Bohn), of Bern township, and she survived him many
years, making her home with her son Adam, in Sink-
ing Spring. She died Aug. 19, 1887. To Daniel and
Susan (Bohn) Krick were born children as follows:
James, born Jan. 12. 1834. died July 26, 1834; Lydia,
born May 31, 1835, m. William R. High; Adam B. is
mentioned below; Henry B., born Jan. 16, 1839, died
Aug. 3, 1906; Mary E.. born Jan. 6, 1851, died May 19.
1902.

Adarn B. Krick was born Oct. 27, 1836, in Spring
township, and received a good education, attending
school at Sinking Spring and Reading, and later study-
ing at the Hudson River Institute, at Claverack, N.
Y. During his early manhood he was engaged at
teaching for five terms, after which he devoted himself
to farming, continuing in that line for nine years.
Meantime he had suffered more or less from the re-
sults of an accident which occurred in 1852. and which
culminated in 1873, when he found it necessary to
undergo the amputation of a limb. This naturally
caused a complete change in his plans for his life
work, and in the year last named he removed from
his farm into the village of Sinking Spring, where with-
in a short time he embarked in a mercantile business,
dealing in flour, feed and grain, both wholesale and
retail. He carried on that business throughout his active
career, meeting with excellent success, for he dis-
played the same ability in the management of his
busmess ventures as he did in his previous under-
takings. He never lost his interest in educational
affairs and the public school system', and served four
successive terms as school director. He was an active
™epber of the Sinking Spring Reformed Church, of
which he served as treasurer, for a period of thirty
years. He also served as township tax collector for
a number of years.

In the year 1863 Mr. Krick married Lucy J. Reber
born April 13, 1844, daughter of Benneville B. Reber
(son of Conrad) and Sarah V. R. (High), daughter of
William and Catharine (Van Reed) High Six child-



BIOGRAPHICAL



639



ren blessed their union, viz.: William F., born Oct.
4; 1863, is mentioned below; Daniel B., born March 29,
1865, m. Mary Scheetz and resides at Sinking Spring;
Sarah S., born Oct. 26, 1866, died in infancy; Rev. Thom-
as H., born Jan. 11, 1868, is mentioned below; Ida R.,
born Oct. 11, 1869, lives at home with her mother; M.
Ellen, born Sept. is, 18,71, is the widow of Prof. Frank
P. Miller, of Kutztown, Pa. Mrs.-Krick still resides
at the old home in Sinking Spring, where Mr. Krick
died March 10, 1904, aged sixty-seven years, four
months, fourteen days. He is buried at Sinking Spring.
Mr. Krick' was one of the most respected representa-
tives of this large and influential family, and he ever
maintained high standing both as a citizen and a
business man. For a number of years he was recog-
nized as the foremost citizen of Sinking Spring. He
was regarded as a man of excellent judgment, and
his advice was sought by a great many people. For
a number of years he was the recognized leader of
his political party in the township. Many a struggling
person received help at his hands; more than one
student was assisted in his struggles for advancement
by him. He was frequently asked to write deeds and
legal papers for others and was frequently made the
custodian of other people's money — people who placed
more confidence in him than in banks. He was often
appointed guardian by court for minor children.

William F. ' Krick, one of the leading citizens of
Sinking Spring of the present day, was born Oct. 4,
1863, on a part of the old Krick homestead, in Spring
township. He obtained his early education in the
public schools of that locality, later attending at Sink-
ing Spring, and finally, in the spring of 1880, began
a course at the Keystone State Normal School, where
he studied for three terms. He received his first li-
cense to teach, however, when but seventeen years old,
from Prof. S, A. Baer, then county superintendent,
and for two terms he taught the Gelsinger's school,
in his native township. He had been reared to farming
in his earlier years, and always had an inclination for
agricultural work, which he began on his own account
at the age of nineteen years, on a 130-acre tract be-
longing to his father. He remained on that place for
twelve years, during which time he made distinct pro-
gress in the science of farming as well as in his finan-
cial equipment. In 1894 he was able to purchase a farm
in Lower Heidelberg township, consisting of 141 acres,
and he has conducted this place ever since, improving
it constantly according to the most approved mod-
ern methods. He has not confined himself to farming
by any means, but has branched out until his interests
now include a large flour-mill and the controlling share
in the Sinking Spring Electric Light Company, of
which latter he is president. His farm is supplied
with all the most improved implements and well stock-
ed, and is considered one of the finest properties in
the township. In 1894 Mr. Krick erected a Swiss
barn 118 by 46 feet in dimensions, and his other out-
buildings are on a similar scale and very substantial.

Mr. Krick resided on his farm until 1902, when he
removed to the village of Sinking Spring, his commer-
cial interests demanding his constant attention. He
put up the building on Main street -in which he es-
tablished both his home and his business headquarters,
the structure being a substantial brick three stories
high, 48 by 64 feet, and he did business there for about
three years. Meanwhile, however, he had 'erected the
large Krick Roller Mills, along the south side of the
Lebanon Valley railroad, a three-story structure of
brick, 36 by 72 feet, with an annex 36 by 60 feet,
erected in 1904. The mill is a model of its kind pro-
vided with all the latest machinery required for the
roller process, and a high grade of flour is manufact-
ured, Mr. Krick's special brands being the "World's
Best" and "Ladies Choice." The product finds a ready
market throughout the Eastern States, and Mr. Krick
has an extensive local trade in this line, as well as
a large wholesale and retail trade at Reading in the



grain, feed and flour business. He has developed his
business to its highest possibilities, showing what a
man of enterprise" and adequate, ability may accomplish,
and he gives employment to from ten to fifteen men,
also using three teams in the transaction of his busi-
ness.

Mr. Krick has displayed his enterprise as much in the
development of an up-to-date public utility as in his
strictly private affairs. The Sinking Spring Electric
Company, in which he i? the largest stockholder, is a
private concern, but its workings so affect the public
comfort and welfare that the community has a much
deeper interest in its conduct than in the average com-
mercial venture. This company not only supplies the
light for Sinking Spring, but also for Springmont,
Wyomissing, Shillington and Edison. The excellent
service of the plant, and its efficient management from
an industrial as well as a financial standpoint, are fur-
ther evidences of Mr. Krick's powers as a man of ex-
ecutive force. His personal character is above reproach.

In 1882 Mr. Krick married Clara Y. Hartman, daugh-
ter of the late Amos and Rebecca (Yost) Hartman.
Four children have been born to this union, as fol-
lows: Bessie H., who graduated from the Keystone
State Normal School in 1902, is now engaged at teach-
ing in Sinking Spring; Gertrude H., who also attended
the Keystone State Normal, married Walter Graeff;
Bertha H. is in high school; Charles H., born Oct. 10,
1892, is the fourth of this line born in October, his
father, grandfather and great-grandfather having been
born, like him. in that month, on the same farm in
Spring township. The home of this family is a com-
fortable dwelling, supplied with every modern conven-
ience for the well-being of its occupants. It is sur-
rounded by a large and well-kept lawn, and is delight-
fully situated, being one of the pleasant homes in the
village.

Mr. Krick is a prominent member of St. John's Re-
formed Church, of which he has served as deacon for
two years, and which has so many dear associations
for the members of this family. Many o.f the earlier
generations sleep their last sleep in the graveyard of
this old house of worship. Mr. Krick is a Democrat
in his political faith, and in social connection he is
an Odd Fellow, belonging to Sinking Spring Lodge,
No. 660.

Rev. Thomas Henry Krick, a leading minister of
the Reformed Church, now located at Coplay, Lehigh
Co., Pa., was born Jan. 11, 1868, in Spring township,
Berks county, on the old homestead near Sinking
Spring, and was five years old when his parents moved
to Sinking Spring, where he attended public school in
the lower and middle stone school building. Later he
attended the Charter Oak Academy, taught by Thomas
J. Oberlin, in his district, and in the spring of 1885
entered the State Normal School at Kutztown, grad-
uating from that institution in 1887. Through the
efforts of his teacher. Dr. N. C. Schaeffer, and his
thirst for higher education, he decided to take a college
course. In 1887-88 he took the college preparatory
course at the Normal school, and in the fall of 1888
matriculated at Franklin and Marshall College, at
Lancaster. Pa., graduating therefrom in 1892. The
same year he entered the Theological Seminary of the
Reformed Church at Lancaster. In 189S' he taught
mathematics at the Keystone State Normal School,
and he also engaged in canvassing a few summers
before his graduation from the theological seminary,
in 1895. He had been licensed as a public school teach-
er when but sixteen years old, by Prof. D. S. Keck.
During his college course he specialized in mathemat-
ics, in which he is a master. One of his classmates ex-
pressed the opinion that had he chosen to continue
his studies in mathematics there is no doubt at all
that he would have filled a chair in mathematics in one
of the higher institutions of learning. He also took
a very active interest in college athletics, playing on
the foot-ball team as right tackle for five years. He is



630



HISTORY OF BERKS COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



six feet and a half inch in height, and built proportion-
ately, and he was generally known as the "impreg-
nable stone wall." The college team saw the "golden
age" of its athletic glories during his attendance, de-
feating nearly all the other college foot-ball teams that



Online LibraryMorton L. (Morton Luther) MontgomeryHistorical and biographical annals of Berks County, Pennsylvania, embracing a concise history of the county and a genealogical and biographical record of representative families, comp. by Morton L. Montgomery .. → online text (page 177 of 227)