Morton L. (Morton Luther) Montgomery.

Historical and biographical annals of Berks County, Pennsylvania, embracing a concise history of the county and a genealogical and biographical record of representative families, comp. by Morton L. Montgomery .. online

. (page 178 of 227)
Online LibraryMorton L. (Morton Luther) MontgomeryHistorical and biographical annals of Berks County, Pennsylvania, embracing a concise history of the county and a genealogical and biographical record of representative families, comp. by Morton L. Montgomery .. → online text (page 178 of 227)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


they played. Mr. Krick was manager of the team for
one year.

On May 22, 1895, Thomas H. Krick was licensed by
the Lebanon Classis of the Reformed Church, and on
July 7. 1895, he was ordained by a committee of the
East Pennsylvania Classis, at Jacobs Reformed Church,
Weissport, Pa., which charge he served with high
merit for the period of six years. During this time he
raised a debt of $1,500 on the church property within
one year, remodeled the basement of the church, in-
creased the membership greatly, and the collections
for benevolent purposes were increased threefold.

In August, 1901, he accepted a call from the Coplay
charge, which is in the cement regions of the Lehigh
valley. It consists of three churches. Trinity Reform-
ed at Coplay, St. John's at Mickleys and St. John's
at Fullerton. During the seven years of Mr. Krick's
incumbency the membership at Coplay has been in-
creased from 120 to 400, and in 1907 the congrega-
tion erected one of the finest parsonages belonging to
the Reformed Church. At Mickley's a new Sunday-
school room was added through his- efforts, and in
1902 he organized the Fullerton congregation, which
now has a membership of 225.

Mr. Krick is a leading and active member of the
Classis of the Reformed Church of the United States,
highly esteemed by his brethren for his efficient work,
high character and pleasant disposition. He is sec-
retary of the Spiritual Conference of Ministers and
Laymen of the Reformed Church. In 1908 he was
elected president of the Lehigh Valley Ministerial
Association. He was a delegate in 1899 to the General
Synod of the Reformed Church of the United States,
which met at Tiffin, Ohio, and in 1908 at York, Pa!
He was delegate to the District Synod which met at
Bethlehem, twice to the Synod when it met at Lan-
caster and delegate to its meetings at Sunbury, Per-
kasie, Lebanon and Reading. In 1898 he was presi-
dent of the East Pennsylvania Classis. His exec-
utive ability and skill as an organizer are gen-
erally recognized, and he is as highly regarded in his
own congregations as he is in other relations. He is
a forceful and eloquent preacher, officiating in two
languages, and ably proclaims the Word to whose
spread he has devoted his life.

For a number of years Mr. Krick took a deep and
active interest in the history and genealogy of his
own and other families, and in 1907 founded the Krick
Family Reunion, which in 1908 held its second re-
union on the ancestral acres and was largely attended.
He traces his genealogy through the following families:
Hoch, Van Reed, Hottenstein, Yost, Herbein, Reber,
Bright, Kershner, Bohn, Slegel, Kissinger. Womerin,
Spohn and Krick. He has given considerable time to
research on most of these families.

On Nov. 31, 1895, Rev. Mr. Krick was united in mar-
riage with Jennie P. Hain, daughter of Peter L. and Sue
L. (Oberholtzer) Hain, of Heidelberg township, and a
descendant of George Hain (Hohn), who granted the
land upon which is erected the Hains Reformed Church.
To Mr. and Mrs. Krick have been born two daughters:
Marie H., born July 21, 1898; and Ruth H., born May
13, 1901. Mrs. Krick is an ideal minister's wife and
is prominently identified with every phase of church
work.

RICHARD B. KRICK, a retired citizen of Sinking
Spring, was born Feb. 1, 1835, on the original home-
stead of Frantz Crick, in what is now Spring town-
ship, son of Jacob Krick (son of Francis (3) ). He be-
gan his education in the pay schools which were then in
vogue in his district, attending the old pay school
held in the eight-cornered school-house which is so



fully written up in the archives* of the Berks County
Historical Society, he having supplied the major part
of the information for the article mentioned. Later,
when the free schools were established, he attended ithem
for two or three months during the winter for a few
years. Much of his education, however, has been self-
acquired, and he has read and observed with intelli-
gence all his long life.

Mr. Krick was reared on the homestead, where he
worked until he was thirty years old, and in the spring
of 1866 he began farming on his own account in
Spring township, where he continued agricultural pur-
suits successfully for twenty years. He built the pres-
ent house on this farm which he still owns, in about
1874, and had previously put up the barn, in 1868. This
place was originally a Rollman tract. It comprises
ninety-seven acres, and is one of the best farms in the
valley. In 1887 he retired to the small tract at
Sinking Spring where he has since made his home.

Mr. Krick is a veteran of the Civil war, having enlist-
ed at Reading Oct. 37, 1862, for a period of nine
months. He actually served, however, but fifteen
days less than a year, being mustered out Aug. 12,
1863, as_ sergeant of Company E, 167th Pa. V. I. He
saw active service at the battle of the Deserted Farm
(where his colonel was mortally wounded) and was
on picket duty when they fought at Carrsville, Virginia.

Mr. Krick is a Democrat in political opinion and
has been somewhat active in local affairs, having
served nine consecutive years as school director of
Spring township and meantime acted as president of the
board; he was also auditor of the district for a num-
ber of years. He is much respected in his district,
and has always been known as a good citizen. In
spite of his advanced age his mind is clear and he
is well preserved in every way.

On Oct. 27, 1859, Mr. Krick married Emma Bickel,
daughter of William and Elizabeth (Miller) Bickel,
of Reading. She died Dec. 17, 1908, aged seventy
years, eight days, and rests in the family plot at Sinking
Spring. To Mr. and Mrs. Krick were born three
children: Albert died when one year old. Lizzie S.,
born in 1861, married Miller Evans, of Reading, and
died in 1902, the mother of six children, Annie (de-
ceased), Emma, John, Richard, Fred, and Frank (the
lastj^ named deceased). Jacob B. is mentioned be-
low.

Mr. Krick and his family are members of St. John's
Reformed Church at Sinking Spring, of which he
served as trustee for three years, deacon for some
years, and elder two years. He has always been active
in the work and enterprises of the church, and is a
director of the Sinking Spring Union Cemetery Com-
pany. He is a member of Castle No. 334, K. G. E., of
Sinking Spring, and has been treasurer since its organ-
ization in 1889. He is also active in the Krick Family
Reunion Association, and in 1908 made the welcome ad-
dress at the annual gathering. He has a resourceful
mind, and was of great assistance to the historian of
the Reunion Association, and also of this volume.

Jacob B. Krick, son of Richard B., was born in
Spring township, June 23, 1867, and was educated in
the local public schools and Charter Oak Academy,
as well as the select school known as Carroll In-
stitute on North Fourth street, Reading, then under
the care of Prof. Patrick Carroll. Later he entered
Lafayette College, but he left that institution to ac-
cept a responsible position with the Enterprise Manu-
facturmg Company, of Philadelphia, in whose service
he has been since 1889. The company employs 750
men. Mr. Krick is a member of the Order of Inde-
pendent Americans. He is unmarried.

HENRY B. KRICK was born in Spring township.
Berks county, Jan. 16, 1839, son of Daniel and Susan
(Bohn) Krick, and died Aug. 3, 1906, and is buried at
binkmg Sprmg. He was reared to farm life, and soon
after his marriage began farming near Sinking Spring,



BIOGRAPHICAL



631



where he lived many years. He later moved to a
tract along the pike a half mile above Sinkirig Spring,
where he lived retired until his death. His farm con-
sisted of about 150 acres, and belonged to his father.
The Henry B. Krick residence is now the property of
Robert Lance.

Mr. Krick was a Democrat in politics, and held the
office of school director. During the Civil war he
served as a soldier and contracted rheumatism, from
which he suffered all the rest of his life, and which
in fact caused his retirement from active work quite
early in life. He was prominent and influential in
his community, and was highly esteemed by all.

Mr. Krick married Catharine Smith, daughter of
Daniel and Annie (Funk) Smith, of near Denver, Lan-
caster county. She died Dec. 5, 1901, in the sixty-
first year of her age. Five children blessed this un-
ion: Daniel, who died in infancy; Anna S., residing
at West Reading; Stephen, who died in infancy; Da:isy,
who resides at No. 521 Weiser street, Reading; and
Laura, who died in infancy.

JOHN L. SCHARFF, a resident of Reatling since
1887, was born March 37, 1837, at Host, in Tulpehocken
township, Berks county, He is a descendant in the
fifth generation from Conrad Scharfl, the ancestor of
a family which became numerous in western Berks
county, a few of whose descendants still reside in the
vicinity of Stouchsburg.

(I) Conrad Scharff (also spelled Sharii and Scharf,
though Scharff is the correct form) was born March
23, 1697, in Germany, and in 1709 landed at New York
with his parents. They located at Livingstone Manor,
in New York, but later with many other German fam-
ilies, settled at Schoharie, where they lived in peace and
contentment until about 17)19. In 1723 thirty-three fam-
ilies moved to Pennsylvania, settling in Tulpehocken,
some fifteen miles west of the Schuylkill river. Among
these settlers were George and Peter Reith, Gottfried
Fitler, Conrad Schuetz, Antonius Scharff, Christian
Lauer, Andraes Walborn, Lorentz Zerbe, Sebastian
Fischer. Johan Peter Pacht, Johann Adam Lerch and
George Ansbach. In 1728 fifteen other families left the
Schoharie and settled in the same vicinity, among this
colony being Conrad Scharff. He was a farmer by oc-
cupation. It is not known what relationship existed
between Antonius and Conrad Scharff, but it is likely
that they were brothers. Conrad Scharff died May 15,
1776. His wife, Maria Margaret, born July 28, 1721,
died April 20, 1781. These pioneers are buried in the
graveyard of the Little Tulpehocken Church. On Oct.
10, 1772, Conrad Scharff lived in Heidelberg township.
His will, on record in Will Book A, page 17, men-
tions the following children: George, who was to have
£5 for his birthright; John, who was to have a plan-
tation; Esther (Riegner); Catharine Margaret, and
Mary Catharine.

(II) Georg (George) Scharff, the eldest son of Con-
rad, lived in Heidelberg township, Berks county, where
he died some time in the year 1826. He was a farmer,
and left his farm by will to his son John. His last
will and testament, made in 1825, was witnessed by
John and Paul Wenrich. It is in the old style of
German script, written in very fine letters, and is ex-
ceedingly hard to interpret and almost impossible of
translation. It mentions a daughter Elizabeth, who it
appears was twice married, one of her husbands being
John Riessar, by whom she had John, Samuel and
Maria Riessar.

(II) John (Johan) Scharff, younger son of Conrad,
was a farmer in Tulpehocken township. He died some
time during 1838, his will having been entered on Dec.
20th of that year. It is written in German, was made
April 20, 1829, and is on record in Will Book VIII,
page 93. His wife. Rosina, must have died prior to
the making of this document. The following children
are mentioned: Johannes, Johan Georg, Daniel, and



Susanna (born July 8, 1788, died March 6, 1857, m.
Leonard Zerbe).

(III) Johan Georg Scharff, son of John, born April
6, 1790, died May 25, 1861, in his seventy-second year.
He lived and died on his farm near Stouchsburg, which
consisted of 121 acres, and which after his death be-
longed to his son Willoughby, after the latter's death
coming into the possession of Morris W. Scharff, the
present owner. On Dec, 3i, 1817, he married Catha-
rine Walborn (1794-1872), and they are buried side
by side in the graveyard of Christ's Lutheran Church,
in Marion township. They had a family of six child-
ren: Harriet died unmarried; Eliza married Benjamin
Miller; Rebecca married Isaac H. Wenrich; Willough-
by is mentioned below; Jonathan never married; Ed-
ward died when young.

(IV) Willoughby Scharff, son of Johan Georg, was
born in Mill Creek township, Lebanon Co., Pa., Oct.
10, 1825, and died Jan. 5, 1907, in his eighty-second
year. When he was two years old he was brought by
his parents to a farm near Stouchsburg, and there he
spent the remainder of his life, following farming
throughout his active years. He was a Democrat, and
served as school director of Marion township. He
and his family were members of Christ Lutheran
Church. His wife, Mary (Wilhelm), was a daughter
of Jacob and Barbara Wilhelm. They had four child-
ren: Amanda, Morris W., John W. (a cigar-maker at
Stouchsburg) and Emma M.

(V) Morris W. Scharff, born near Stouchsburg June
15, 1857, came into possession of his father's farm
in 1879, and still cultivates that place. The bed of
the Union canal passes through his property. The
barn, 43 by 105 feet in dimensions, was built by his
father in 1870, and the stone house, a residence of
colonial architecture, was built by his grandfather,
Johan Georg Scharff, in 1837. Mr. Scharff is active
in local affairs, has served as school director of Marion .
township, and in 1907 was elected a justice of the
peace, which office he is at present filling. He is a
Democrat in politics.

In 1878 Mr. Scharff married Amanda E. Peiffer,
daughter of Philip and Maria (Zerbe) Peiffer, and they
have had two children, Mary E. and Horace P. The
daughter married John J. Swalm and lives in Read-
ing. Mr. Scharff is a member and officer of Christ
Lutheran Church.



(III) Daniel Scharff, son of John, born Sept. 4, 1793.
in Tulpehocken township, died June 17, 1866, in his
seventy-third year. He was a farmer, and also con-
ducted the "Cross Keys hotel" and ware house for
grains, salt, and coal, on the Union Canal, for many
years. On June 30, 1813, he married Eva Elizabeth
Forrer, born May 7, 1789, died Aug, 9, 1847, and to them
were born two children, Isaac and Mary, the latter
the wife of Jonathan Klopp, a hotel proprietor in
Stouchsburg, Berks Co., and later a miller at Selins-
grove. Pa. Mr. Scharff, when his daughter moved to
Selinsgrove, became a resident of Womelsdorf, and
lived in the family of his granddaughter, Mrs. George
Filbert, but died while at the home of his daughter,
on a visit, and he is buried at Host, Berks county.

(IV) Isaac Scharff, son of Daniel, was born Aug.
22, 1814, in the vicinity of Cross Keys, and died Aug.
26, 1845, aged thirty-one years, four- days, and is
buried at Tulpehocken Church. In his youth he at-
tended the Harrisburg Academy for several winters,
while he assisted his father on the farm during the
summer days. He married Rebecca Leiss (1813-1847),
daughter of John Leiss. In 1837 he moved his family
to his farm about a mile east of Myerstown, Lebanon
Co,, Pa,, and became the farmer thereof. He was
inclined to music, and more than ordinarily skilled in
mechanics. He organized the Washington Band of
Myerstown, and conducted the same until his death
He was a member of the Lutheran Church. To hini
and his wife were born children as follows: John L-



63-3



' HISTORY OF BERKS COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



Maria, who died young; Emma (deceased), m. to
George Filbert, after she had finished her education
at Linden Hall, Lititz, Pa.; and William.

(V) William Scharfif, son of Isaac and Rebecca, at-
tended the common schools, and Academy in Myers-
town and finished his education at the Jonestown In-
stitute of Lebanon county. Being musically inclmed,
he spent several years at the Boston Conservatory of
music, and later, two years in Stuttgart, Germany, as
student on the piano, after which he became a teacher
of music, and made- it his life profession. He con-
ducted the Brass Band at Womelsdorf for many years,
playing clarionet. In 1876 he married Miss Mary C.
Leinbach, daughter of Joseph Leinbach, merchant, in
Reading. To this union was born, one daughter, Elsie,
who studied drama in New York and the old country,
and toured the States with the Louis James Company.
Mr. Scharff was the professor of music at the Jones-
town Institute for some time, and had many stu-
dents in Womelsdorf and vicinity. In the spring of
1888 he moved his family to Kansas City, Mo., where
he still continues his profession. During the Civil War,
he enlisted with the band, of Womelsdorf, and did
camp service in Camp Cameron at Harrisburg for
about three months, when he was transferred to Phila-
delphia, Pa., and mustered into Company E, of the
90th Pa. v. I., as private musician Nov. 26, 1861. He
left with the regiment the following spring, for the
seat of war, but was taken sick, and placed in the
hospital at Washington, where he was discharged and
taken home. He recovered after many days, and fol-
lowed his profession again.

(V) John L. Scharfif was born March 37, 1837, at Host,
Berks county, on the farm of his grandfather John
Leiss. In April following, he was taken to his
father's farm in Jackson township, Lebanon county,
about one mile east of Myerstown, where he spent his
youth, and attended the Myerstown Academy of which
his father w^s a stock-holder. About the age of
seventeen he became a teacher in the public schools
under Prof. Henry Houck, then Superintendent of
schools in Lebanon county, now the honored Secretary
of internal aflfairs in Pennsylvania. In 1857 and 1858,
he was a student of Franklin and Marshall College,
Lancaster.. Pa., after which he lived with his widowed
aunt in Host (Mrs. John S. Leiss), where he again
spent his time in teaching school. In 1860 he be-
came a resident of Womelsdorf living in his sister's
(Mrs. Geo. Filbert's) family. He cast his first vote
for the great Lincoln, and has been a warm Republican
ever since. He was a charter member of the Minnehaha
Cornet Band of Womelsdorf, in which he took a deep
interest, and in September, 1861, went with the same
to Harrisburg, and enlisted as Regimental Band, doing
Camp duties in Camp Cameron until some time in No-
vember, when the Band was transferred to Philadel-
phia, and on the 36th of that month, were mustered as
private musicians for three years in the 90th Pa. V. I.
He became a member of Company H of that regiment,
and spent the winter in Camp on Nicetown Lane in
Philadelphia. In the early spring of 1862, he left with
the Regiment for the seat of war, and participated in
the battle at White Mountain, and on the 18th day of
the following September, was discharged with the
band by an order of the Adjutant General at Washing-
ton, D. C. On July 2, 186.3, he re-enlisted as sergeant
of Company K, 42nd Pa. V: I. for ninety days, and
was again discharged on August 11th, following.

On May 18, 1866. Mr. Scharff married Miss Otilla
Moyer. daughter of Henry and Anna (Hain) Moyer, of
Womelsdorf, Pa. Mr. Scharfif then taught the gram-
mar school in Womelsdorf for a number of years, be-
ing at the same time organist and superintendent of
the Sunday school of Zion's Church of the same place,
and Secretary of Williamson Lodge No. 307, F. & A.
M., of which he is still a member. Five children were
born to Mr. and Mrs. Scharff: Eva, William, Emma.
Ella and Annie. Eva was given a liberal education on



the piano by her uncle, and was a teacher on the
same, and connected with Church Choirs and the
Choral Societies of the able Prof. Ed. Berg, and Mrs.
Dr. Howel of Reading. She was domestically inclined,
and remained unmarried with her parents. William be-
came a clarinetist and played with the Franklin Band
of Philadelphia, a number of years. He was a cigar
packer by trade, and died June 25, 1897. Emma was a
milliner by trade, and a proficient performer on the
guitar. She conducted a ladies Mandolin and Guitar
Club for several years. She died July 25, 1901. Ella
and Annie died at the age of five years. Mr. Scharfif
moved his family to Reading, Pa., in March, 1887. He
connected himself with the Reading Hardware Co..
with which he is still employed. For a number of years
he was a member of the Ringgold Band. He is a mem-
ber of McLean Post No. 16, G. A. R. ; and a member of
Grace Lutheran Church of Reading. His home is at
No. 349 South Third Street.

WELLINGTON L ADDAMS, youngest son of Isaac
Addams, was born on the old farm about two miles from
the Sinking Springs, in Berks county, Pa., and received •
his early education at the Van Reed private school near
his home. After that he attended the Freeland Seminary,
in Chester county. Pa., and finished at Bellefonte College,
in Centre county. Pa. He then went to Philadelphia and
took a course at Crittenden's Commercial College, and at
once entered the foreign and domestic woolen commissio;i
business with the firm of E. Kirberg & Co., and continued
this for several years. He then took a four months' trip
to Europe, visiting England, France, Germany, Switzer-
land and Italy, and on his return went into business for
himself as "W. I. Addams & Co., foreign and domestic
woolens on commission," at No. 611 Chestnut street, Phil-
adelphia.

Mr. Addams now married the youngest daughter, Sarah
N., of Mr. Robert K. Neff, in 1873, and built a home in
Germantown. where they lived for more than twenty-five
years. His son Robert N. Addams, better known as "Bob
Addams," the caricature artist for "Life," "Judge" and
"Puck," made his home in New York, and is well known
both here and abroad. His son Clifford I. Addams won
the first scholarship prize, $800, at the Academy of the
Fine Arts in Philadelphia in 1899, and then started for
Paris, entered the art school -of Mr. James McNeill Whist-
ler, and continued his studies there until the death of the
famous painter, after which he went to London, and
married Miss Inez Bate, an English lady, who had also
studied art under Mr. Whistler, at the same time; Mr.
Clifford I. Addams is now living in London, and has
painted many important people during the last eight years.
Miss Florence Biddle Addams, the onlv daughter of
Mr. Wellington I. Addams, a few years ago married Mr.
Robert G. Fell, and lives at their place, "Roslyn," Chest-
nut Hill, Pennsylvania.

Mr. Addams retired from business during the fall of
1902 and with his family traveled extensively abroad. He
is fond of traveling and now contemplates a tour of the
world for 1910. The family spent several winters in the
south of France, sojourning at Menton, Cannes, Monte
Carlo, Nice, etc., and made many delightful acquaintances
with fellow travelers from London, Paris, Berlin, etc.

ADDAMS. The Addams family are of English an-
cestry and tradition says they came from Leeds. In their
early religious belief they were members of the Church
of England, but in later life they became identified with the
Reformed Church. They were prominent in the war of
the Revolution. Many of their descendants have continued
to be residents of Pennsylvania. During the life of the
Whig party they took an active interest in its support and
success. The progenitor of those descendants who have
been m Berks county was the father of Robert Addams,
of Ledwell, in Oxfordshire, England. Robert is supposed
to have emigrated to Pennsylvania in 1681, and then pur-
chased from William Penn 500 acres in Philadelphia coun-




WELLINUrON I.ADDAMS




SAAC ADDAMS AND HIS WIFE REBECCA




./■Oa_e/J^ ■.^£:]!^££^^^t-£^



BIOGRAPHICAL



633



ty. He was not married, and had a number of nephews and
nieces, including William.

(I) William Addams settled in Cocalico township, Lan-
caster Co., Pa., early in the eighteenth century. In 1761
he laid out the town which is now the borough of
Adamstown. He married Ann Lane, of Philadelphia, and
they had five sons, Isaac, Abraham, Samuel, Richard
and William, and one daughter. Two of these sons,
William and Isaac, removed to Berks county, and settled
in Heidelberg (now Spring) township. William married
Barbara Ruth, and after his death his brother Isaac mar-
ried the widow.

(II) Isaac Addams, above named, was a prominent man
of his day. He was born where Adamstown is now sit-
uated, in 1747, and died at Reading in April, 1809. He
was a farmer for some years and then a leading merchant
of Reading. In 1776 he was captain of a company of
Light Infantry attached to Maj. Peter Grubb's Battalion
of Associators in Lancaster county. He was a commis-
sioner of Berks county from 1797 to 1800, and a member
of the Assembly from Berks county in 1804 and 1805.
He had six sons : William, Samuel, Isaac, Peter, Abraham
and John.

(III) William Addams, son of Isaac, was born in Lan-



Online LibraryMorton L. (Morton Luther) MontgomeryHistorical and biographical annals of Berks County, Pennsylvania, embracing a concise history of the county and a genealogical and biographical record of representative families, comp. by Morton L. Montgomery .. → online text (page 178 of 227)