Morton L. (Morton Luther) Montgomery.

Historical and biographical annals of Berks County, Pennsylvania, embracing a concise history of the county and a genealogical and biographical record of representative families, comp. by Morton L. Montgomery .. online

. (page 179 of 227)
Online LibraryMorton L. (Morton Luther) MontgomeryHistorical and biographical annals of Berks County, Pennsylvania, embracing a concise history of the county and a genealogical and biographical record of representative families, comp. by Morton L. Montgomery .. → online text (page 179 of 227)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


caster county March 9, 1777. Early in life he went to
Berks county, settling on Cacoosing creek, at the Addams
Mill, where his exemplary habits of life, "his sterling in-
tegrity, good sense and unostentatious sincerity of purpose"
won for him a high place in the esteem of the people, and
he was frequently called upon to fill positions of honor
and trust. In 1813 and 1814 he was county auditor; 1814
and 1817, county commissioner; 1883 and 1824, member of
the State Legislature; 1839-42, associate judge of the
county; 1825-29, a representative in Congress from Berks
county; and twice a Presidential elector. He served as
captain of the Reading Troop for many years. He died
at his home in Spring township March 31, 1858, aged
eighty-one years. He married (first) Eva Van Reed, and
they had five children: Kittie, wife of Rufus Davenport;
Richard; Rebecca; Josiah; and Amelia, wife of John H.
Van Reed. He married (second) Catharine Huey iVan
Reed, widow of John Van Reed, and by her had three
children: William, John and Valeria (m. John Knapp).

(III) Isaac Addams (3), son of Isaac and brother
of William, was born in Adamstown in 1779, and died there
in 1844. His earlier years were devoted to farming, butin
later life h-e was a hotel-keeper at Leesport. He married
Catharine Eckert, and by her had seven children among
them being: Sarah (married to Dr. Charles Zoller), Reub-
en, Anna (married to John Runkel), John E. and Isaac.
In politics he was a Whig.

(IV) Isaac Addams, son of Isaac (2), was born Jan.
3, 1801, at Adamstown, but his parents left that place and
settled on a farm along the Cacoosing creek in Berks
county when he was but three years . of age. He
was educated in the old pay' schools of the county, and
remained at home helping his father on the farm until
he attained his majority. He then folloWed farming on
his own account, until his forty-ninth year, when he re-
tired from active labor. In 1859 he moved to Reading,
residing on Penn street until 1865, when he took up his
residence at No. 52 North Fifth street, where he died
in 1876. He, too, was a Whig. In his early life he took
much interest in the State militia. He married Rebecca
Haak (daughter of John and Elizabeth (Krause) Haak),
born in 1789, died in 1866. The remains of both were
buried in the family lot in the Charles Evans cemetery.
They had four children : Henrietta C. died unmarried
Oct. 15, 1908; Rufus, who died in 1894, married Rebecca
Van Reed, and they had four ' children, John V. R.
(unmarried), Annie' V. R. (who died unmarried in 1909),
Mary (who died unmarried) and Charles; Rebecca J.
died unmarried in 1899; Wellington I. is mentioned above.

RUFUS ADDAMS (deceased), a well-known farmer
along the Cacoosing creek, in Spring township, Berks
county, was born in tbat township Sept. 30, 1825, son of



Isaac and Rebecca (Haak) Addams. His early training
was all along agricultural lines, and he devoted himself
all his life to the cultivation of farms in lower Berks
county. His comfortable brick residence was erected by
Jacob Haak in 1734, but was remodeled by Mr. Addains
in 1892. He also built an addition which made it a very
comfortable house, and as well the Swiss barn; 85 x 35
feet. Mr. Addams also owned a farm of 116 acres in
Heidelberg township, and this is now the property of
his daughter. He retired from active work about ten
years before his death, Aug. 12, 1894. He and his family
were members of St. John's Reformed Church at Sink-
ing Spring, and there in the cemetery connected with that
church is the family burial lot.

Mr. Addams married Rebecca Van Reed, who was born
May 30, 1830, daughter of Charles and Margaret (Zacha-
rias) Van Reed. She passed away May 2, 1900. Four
children came to bless this union, namely: John V. R. ;
Annie V. R., who died in 1909, aged fifty-five years,
seven months, twenty-three days (she was a member of
the Reformed Church at Sinking Spring) ; Mary V. R.,
who died Jan. 13, 1873, aged twenty-one years ; and Charles,
born in 1860, who married Annie Gruber, and died aged
thirty-one years, the father of two sons, Clinton G. and
Charles D.

John, V. R. Addams and his sister, Annie V. R. Addams
resided together on the old homestead farm, and there
Miss Addams died. This place has been given the best
of care, and kept with the same care which their parents
before them exercised. Mr. Addams received his early
education in the public schools, later attending Dickinson
Seminary, at Williamsport, Lycoming Co., Pennsylvania.

MARTIN D. GRILL, a well known young business
man of Berks county. Pa., who is engaged in the manu-
facture of hosiery at Jilohnton, was born Oct. 20, 1874,
in Cumru township, son of Adam M; and Sarah (De-
wees) Grill.

Adam Grill, the grandfather of Martin D., was a
native of Spring township, Berks county, where he was
born Aug. 22, 1793. He spent his life in agricultural
pursuits in Cumru township, where he owned a tract
of 155 acres of land, and here he died May 21, 1858.
He married Catharine Mohn, born Jan. 11, 1800, who
died March 31, 1888, daughter of Daniel and Barbara
(Albright) Mohn, and there were ten children born
to this union: Samuel, m. to Betsy von Neida; Eliza-
beth, m'. to Henry von Neida; Catharine, m. to Chris.
Kress; Polly, m. to Richard Hornberger; Levi, m. to
Polly Eshelman; Sally, m. to Nicholas Mosser; Adam
M.; Lydia, m. to James Leininger; Daniel, m. to Mary
Matz; and Henry, m. to Mary HIiester.

Adam M. Grill was born Oct. 17, il835, and was
reared on the homestead, where he lived until 1904.
when he retired and removed to Church street, Mohn-
ton. Since 1897 he has conducted a milk route into
Mohnsville. He owns a twenty-six acre farm about
two miles northwest of that village. In politics he
is a Republican. He and his family attend Zion's
Evangelical Church, of which he was a class leader,
treasurer and trustee at Mohn's Hill.

Adam M. Grill was married Nov. 6, 1860. to Sarah
Dewees, born Jan. 4, 1841, daughter of John M. and
Leah G. (Matz) Dewees, and five children were born
to this union: William D. m. Ida Miller, and has two
children. Leo and Harry; Alice R. died unmarried at
the age of twenty-eight years; F. Pierce D. m. Annie
H. Fisher, and has three children, Stephen F., Leroy
F. and Lillie F.; Martin D.; and Quinton D. is un-
married.

Martin D. Grill received his education in the public
schools of Cumru township, and the Keystone State
Normal School at Kutztown, Pa. During the spring
ternis of 1894, 1895 and 1896, Mr. Grill was engaged in
school teaching in Spring township, and from the latter
year until 1907, followed that profession in Cumru
township. At this time he engaged in his present busi-
ness, the manufacture of men's seamless half hose, under



634



HISTORY OF BERKS COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



the firm name of the Electrical Hosiery Company.
Thirty hands are now employed at his factory, and
these high grade goods find a ready sale throughout
the State. ,

Mr. Grill was married to. Hannah R. Weidner, daugh-
ter of John Y. and Catharine (Hornberger) Weidner,
and three children were born to this union: John,
Stanley and Forest. In politics Mr. Grill is a Republi-
can, while in religious belief he and Mrs. Grill are
connected with the United Evangelical Church. Fra-
ternally he is identified with the Knights of Pythias
of Mohnton, and the P. O. S. of A., No. 211. Mr. and
Mrs. Grill reside in their own home in Mohnton, which
Mr. Grill purchased in 1898.

John M. Dewees, grandfather of Martin D. Grill, was
a son of William and Elizabeth Martin Dewees, and
was 6orn Feb. 26, 1807. His only brother, George M.,
went to Stark county, Ohio. John M. Dewees followed
the same trade as his father, that of a shop-
carpenter, making all kinds of household ^ furni-
ture. He was also an undertaker, making his own
coffins. In 1835, he was commissioned Captain of
the 12th Company, 55th Regiment, of the Mil-
itia of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, in the
2nd Brigade, of the 6th Division, composed of the
counties of Dauphin, Lebanon, Berks and Schuylkill,
his commission bearing date Aug. 3, 1835, and good
until Aug. 3, 1842, given and signed by Gov. Joseph
Ritner. He was also a surveyor and he served as jus-
tice of the peace, his first commission bearing date of
1840. He was a justice from the aforesaid date until
1879, his last commission bearing date of April 13, 1874,
good until 1879, having held the office for nearly forty
years. Legal papers made and issued by him are noted
for their neatness, accuracy and excellent penmanship.
Lawyers and court officials often complimented him
on his elegant penmanship which he did mostly with
the quill. In 1834 he married Leah G. Matz
(born Feb. 11, 1812) daughter of George Matz.
They had three daughters and two sons, the
sons dying in infancy. Of the daughters: Elizabeth
M. m. Samuel P. Coldren; Sarah M. m. Adam M.
Grill; and Rachel M. m. Jere H. Miller. John M.
Dewees was a man of ordinary means, and proved
himself to be of great usefulness in this section be-
tween 1840 and 1875. He was intensely interested in
the educational system provided by the Act of 1834,
and in 1835, when an effort was made to repeal this
act he labored hard to interest' the people and ex-
plain to them the importance of educational advantages
provided for by this act. He was a lover of music,
especially of the fiddle, zither and accordeon. He was
the owner of a small tract of land in Spring township.
He died Dec. 14, 1881, and is buried at Mohns Hill
burying ground.

JAMES G. KAUFFMAN, farmer and lifelong resi-
dent of Centre township, Berks county, was born
there Sept. 21, 1862, son of David and Elizabeth (Greim)
Kauffman. He is of the fifth generation of his family
in Berks county, where his great-great-grandfather
settled about the middle of the eighteenth century.

Jacob Kauffman came to America on the ship
"Phoenix," landing Sept. 15, 1749, with 550 other pas-
sengers from Zweibrucken, Nassau, Wurtemberg and
the Palatinate. He and two brothers located in Lan-
caster county, Pa., but the land there was not what
he wanted, so he did not remain long. He did not
want to undertake the work of clearing away the for-
ests which then covered that region, and land which
could be converted into meadows, to raise hay to feed
his stock, seemed to him more desirable, so with one
brother he came to Berks county, settling in Bern (now
Upper Bern) township. He took up a large tract of
land in the fertile valley at the foot of the Blue M.oun-
tain, near the present site of St. Michael's Church, re-
ceiving a patent for about seven hundred acres, part
of which was meadow land, with an abundant water



supply. He built a log house with a cellar, particularly
adapted for defense against the Indians, there being no
opening which afforded an easy entrance, and an at-
tack could be repelled by shooting from a window. The
few settlers then in the vicinity suffered much from the
treachery and depredations of the Indians, and they
accordingly established a military post, the men carry-
ing their guns when they went forth to their work in
the morning and returning to the fort when their day's
work was done. This state of affairs continued from
1754 to 1764, but with all their precautions about one
hundred settlers were killed, a brother of Jacob Kauff-
man being among the number. Jacob Kauffman, him-
self had many thrilling adventures and some narrow
escapes from death, but he continued to work and pros-
per and in time became a well-to-do man. In later
years he built a substantial stone mansion upon this
farm, and this dwelling is still standing in a good state
of preservation. Hie followed farming on his old home-
stead until his death in 1804, and he left a tract of a
little over one hundred acres (the old homestead) to his
son Yost; this is now owned by the John Kauffman
Estate, the sixth generation. Jacob Kauffman was
buried at St. Michael's Church, of which he was one
of the promoters and an active member. He reared
a large family of children, and it is said that his' sons
became great hunters, deer at that time being very
plentiful in that section. Tradition has it that a gun
now owned by one of his descendants has killed as
many as two hundred deer.

Philip Kauffman, son of Jacob, born Dec. 21, 1757,
died Nov. 17, 1843. He was buried at St. Michael's
Lutheran Church, of which he was a member. He served
as a soldier in the Revolutionary war. For many years
he carried on farming, living on a portion of the orig-
inal tract taken up by his father, where he remained
until his death. He married Magdalena Seaman, daugh-
ter of Ludwig Seaman, and to them were born eleven
children, seven sons and four daughters.

David Kauffman, son of Philip, was born Sept. 24,
1790, in Bern township, after his marriage locating in
Centre township. Hie was reared to farming, and fol-
lowed that vocation throughout his active years, buy-
ing 190 acres in Centre township, now Known as the
Bushong farm, and also owning 120 acres adjoining
this tract. He did not engage in active labors for fif-
teen years prior to his death, but continued to live on
his farm. He was a member of the Lutheran congrega-
tion of Belleman's Church, and in politics was a stanch
Democrat.

On Feb. 26, 1814, Mr. Kauffman married Magdalena
Kline, born April 15, 1793, died June 14, 1846, and
he survived her many years, dying March 6, 1868; he
is buried at Belleman's Church. Twelve children were
born to Mr. and Mlrs. Kauffman, namely: Elizabeth,
deceased, wife of "Valentine Spatz; William, deceased,
of Centre township; David, who is mentioned further
on; Mary, deceased, wife of John Rothenberger; La-
vina, wife of William Loose, of Centre township; Cath-
arine, widow of Dr. John Spatz, of Centreport; Sallie, de-
ceased, wife of John Kauffman; Matilda, deceased,
widow of John Rothenberger, of Reading; Levi, de-
ceased, who lived in Leesport; Lydia, deceased,
wife of Leonard Schock, of Leesport; Deborah, deceas-
ed; and George, deceased, whose family live at Potts-
town.

David Kauffman, son of David, was born Nov. 1,
1820, in Bern township, where he was reared, attending
the public schools and growing up Into an intimate
knowledge of farm work. He followed farming on
his father's 190-acre farm for seven years before pur-
chasing an adjoining tract, the farm of 161 acres which
is now the property of his son James G. There he
carried on general agriculture until eleven years before
his death, when he retired, settling in Leesport, where
he enjoyed a well-earned competency. Besides the
home place he owned two farms in Bern township,
one of 130 acres and another of 108 acres, as well as



BIOGRAPHICAL



635



his fine home in Leesport. He was a stanch Democrat
and took an active part in the public affairs of his
community as w'ell as in religious matters, being a
prominent Lutheran member of Belleman's Church,
which he served for a number of years as deacon and
elder.

Mr. KaufEman married Nov. 34, 1849, Elizabeth
Greim, born April 30, 1834, daughter of John and Sarah
(Wertman) Greim, of Be.rn township. He died July
38, 1897, at the age of seventy-six years, and Mrs.
Kauffman passed away Jan. 6, 1898, aged seventy-three
years; they are buried side by side at Belleman's
Church. They had children as follows: Sarah, de-
ceased, m. Henry Phillips, a farmer of Centre township;
Isabella, deceased, m. Isaac Bagenstose, who was a
farmer of Bern township; John is deceased; Elizaljeth
is deceased; David is deceased; Catherine (deceased)
m. Samuel Moser; James G. is mentioned below;
Louisa G. m. John Winter, of Reading.

James G. Kauflfman received his education in the
public schools of Centre township, the Keystone State
Normal School at Kutztown, and the Central State
Normal School at Lock Haven, Pa. He was twenty
when he left school, after which he engaged in farming
with his father until 1886, when he took up farming
on his oVn account. In 1893 he purchased the farm
of 161 acres formerly owned by his father, a fertile tract
supplied with very fine spring water. This farm was first
purchased from the Pennsylvania proprietors in 1749 by
Benjamin Lightfoot, a pioneer of Berks county, and
was purchased by David Kauflfman, father of the pres-
ent owner, in 1856. Mr. Kauflfman not only carries on
farming, but also breeds stock, fattens cattle, and car-
ries on a dairy business.

On Jan. 30, 1886, Mr. Kauffman married Mary L.
Hartman, daughter of George C. and Rebecca J. (I^in-
bach) Hartman, of Bern township, and nine children
were born to this union, nanlely: Winfield Hartman,
who died Sept. 34, 1887; David Benjamin H., a graduate
of the Perkiomen Seminary, 1908, and now a student
at State College (he taught school three terms) ; Laura
Rebecca H., who died Aug. 2)1, 1889; George Robert H.,
who is a teacher in Bern township at present; James
Leinbach B., who is a student at the Keystone State
Normal School; Mabel Elizabeth HL; John Greim H.,
deceased; Irvin Hartman; and Harry E. H. Mr. Kauflf-
man and members of his family belong to Belleman's
Lutheran Church at Dauberville, in Centre township,
and he has served several years as deacon of that con-
gregation.

In politics Mr. Kauflfman is a prominent member of
the Democratic party in his locality, and he has acted
upon several occasions as delegate to county and State
conventions. He has been the choice of his party for
a number of local offices, having been elected assessor
of the township shortly after he reached his majority,
ser.ved two terms as school director, and since 1901
has served as justice of the peace. He was appointed
to the office in May of that year, and was elected in
the fall of the same year. His services in every posi-
tion have been highly acceptable.

Mrs. Mary L. (Hartman) Kauflman comes of a fam-
ily that has been well represented in the educational
world. She was born in Bern township March 25, 1863,
daughter of George C. and Rebecca Jane (Leinbach)
Hartman, of the borough of West Leesport. She was
the eldest of eight children — six sons and two daugh-
ters — the others being: Carrie Jane, m. to M. S. Par-
vin. of East Berkley; Capt. J. D. L.; a Graduate of West
Point Military Academy, now a captain in the First U.
S. Cavalry, and stationed in the Philippines; Rev.
George W, pastor of St. John's Reformed Church at
Orwigsburg; Dr. Irvin H.. of Reading; Prof. F. O.,
supervising principal of the Woodbine Schools, New
Jersey; Harry E., a member of the real estate firm
of Barber, Hartman & Co., Philadelphia; and Prof.
Winfield L.. instructor in Latin and Greek in Perkio-
men Seminary. Mrs. Kauflfman is a member of the



Reformed Church, and is greatly interested in the
cause of education, having done much to inspire in
her children an ambition for learning. She has been
a faithful wife and mother, and her home is most pleas-
ant and hospitable..

JOHN H. BOYER, a substantial farmer and highly
esteemed citizen of Amity township, Berks county,
and a veteran of the Civil war, was born Dec. 3, 1843, in
Exeter township, Berks county, son of Abraham S.
and Lucetta Holloway Boyer, and a member of an.
old and representative family of the lower end of Berks
county.

. The emigrant ancestor of the Boyer family was
John Philip Beyer, who came from the Palatinate to
Philadelphia in 1731, with a number of children. He
settled in_ Frederick township, Montgomery county,
but later lived in Amity township, Berks county, where
he died in the spring of 1753, at a ripe old age. He
belonged to the Swamp Lutheran Church, and was
buried by the pastor, Rev. Henry M'elchior Muhlen-
berg, who reports the matter fully in the "Halleschen
Nachrichten." His will is on record at the Philadel-
phia courthouse, and in it some of his children are
named. Among his sons were: Jacob, the ancestor
of the Boyertown branch of the family; and Johann
Heinrich.

Johann Heinrich Boyer was born in 1714, in the Pfalz,
Germany, and died May 2, 1814, in the one hundredth
year of his age. In 1743 he was married to Magda-
iena Kirchner, and among his children — six sons and
one daughter — were Philip and Heinrich.

Philip Boyer, born Dec. 14, 1754, died July 31, 1832.
His wife, Christiana, who was born in 1754, also died
in 1832, and both were buried in the old graveyard
at Amityville. Philip Boyer made a will the year be-
fore his death, while a resident of Amity township, and
in it he mentions the following children: Michael;
Jacob, who had a son Philip; John; Peter; Mary, m.
to George Koch; and Daniel, born in 1792, who died in
1825.

Heinrich Boyer was a son of Johann Heinrich. His
wife's name was Hannah. They had children: Jere-
miah, born April 36, 1810, died March 3, 1848, and his
wife Nellie, born Dec. 30, 1807, died Dec. 12, 1883, aged
seventy-five years, eleven months, thirteen days; Anna
Maria, born 1812, died 1833; and Isaac, born 1817, died
1839. All of these Boyers are buried in the graveyard
at Amityville.

Philip Boyer (also spelled Beyer), grandfather of
John H. Boyer, was a grandson of the emigrant John
Philip Beyer. He was a farmer in Exeter township.
Many years ago he owned and conducted what is now
the "Stonersville Hotel." He was born March 16, 1775,
and died Aug. 21, 1836, aged sixty-one years, five
months, five days, and was buried in the Amityville
graveyard. He married Elizabeth Schrack, born Jan.
18, 1780, died June 3, 1833, aged fifty-three years, four
months, fifteen days. They had ten children, as fol-
lows: Mary, John, Samuel, Jacob, William, Hannah,
Isaac, Abraham S., and two died in infancy unnamed.

Abraham S. Boyer, father of John H., was born in
Exeter township, June 19, 1821, and died May 2, 1905. in
Amity township, aged eighty-three years, ten months,
thirteen days. In his early years he worked as a farm
laborer, but later was engaged in farming in Oley,
Lower Heidelberg, Colebrookdale and then Amity
townships, dying in Amity, as stated above. His remains
rest in the Amityville cemetery. In religious faith he
was a Lutheran and he served in the offices of deacon
and elder in the Amityville Church. In his political
views he was a Democrat, and he served both as school
director and as township supervisor. He married (first)
Lucetta Holloway, born Dec. 17, 1820, died May 13,
1857, aged thirty-six years, four months, twenty-six
days. They had seven children, namely: John H.;
Charles F., deceased in infancy; Sarah E.; Morris L.
H., residing at Reading; George M. deceased in in-



636 HISTORY OF BERKS COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA

fancy; Emma E. and Mary C. He m. (second) Har- E.; John Ellsworth m. Matilda Reinhart, and is a

riet Harbold, daughter of Jacob Harbold. She was broker in cotton yarns in Reading; William Oscar died

born in 1819, and died in 1886. They had two children: at the age of three years, four months; and Cora Ella

William, born in 1867, died in 1868; and Ann Laura, died when seven years, nine months, three days old.

wife of Thomas C. Darrah, a prominent man of Berks Mr. Keim was a Lutheran in religious belief, and to

county. that church his widow also adhered. Politically he was

John H. Boyer was reared on his father's farm a Democrat,

which he left for the first time when he enlisted in Mrs. Keim came to Reading in 1885, and after living

September, 1862, for service in the Civil War, entering for four years on Fifth street, she purchased two

Company I, 20th Regiment, Vol. Militia, for State de- houses on Pearl street, which she rebuilt in 1901. Mrs.

fense, Capt. Frederick S. Boa?, commanding. Subse- Keim was a woman of many admirable traits of char-

quently Oct. 23, 1862, he re-enlisted in Company K, acter, and had hosts of friends in the community who

179th Pa. V. L. and served nine months, and was mus- mourned her decease,
tered out with the regiment at Harrisburg, July 27, 1863.

After the war, Mr. Boyer became a hired man on the DR. PETER S. MOGEL, a well-known dentist lo-

Williara Yocum farm in Amity township, where he cated at No. 814 Penn street, Reading, was born in

remained for three years and was then in his father's Tulpehocken township, Berks county, Nov. 18, 1862,

employ, on the same farm for three more years. In son of Emendon B. and Louise (Scha'de) Mogel.

the spring of 1870 he began farming on his father-in- The name of Mogel has been spelled in nine different

law's farm in Colebrookdale township, where he was ways by the members of the same family — Mochel,

engaged for three years, after which he returned to Mockel, Mbckle, Mogel, M'ogle, Mocel, Mokel, Mokle

the Wilham Yocum's farm on which he has resided and Mogul. The family was planted in this country



Online LibraryMorton L. (Morton Luther) MontgomeryHistorical and biographical annals of Berks County, Pennsylvania, embracing a concise history of the county and a genealogical and biographical record of representative families, comp. by Morton L. Montgomery .. → online text (page 179 of 227)