Morton L. (Morton Luther) Montgomery.

Historical and biographical annals of Berks County, Pennsylvania, embracing a concise history of the county and a genealogical and biographical record of representative families, comp. by Morton L. Montgomery .. online

. (page 180 of 227)
Online LibraryMorton L. (Morton Luther) MontgomeryHistorical and biographical annals of Berks County, Pennsylvania, embracing a concise history of the county and a genealogical and biographical record of representative families, comp. by Morton L. Montgomery .. → online text (page 180 of 227)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


for the past thirty-five years. He lays special stress by Valentine Mochel, who arrived at Philadelphia Aug.

on dairying, operating this industry with thirty head 28, 1750, on the "Phoenix," John Mason, master. The

of fine cows. Since 1875 he has shipped his milk to vessel had sailed from Rotterdam, last from Cowes,

Philadelphia. and carried 339 passengers. When he arrived Valen-

On Nov. 3, 1866, Mr. Boyer was married to Eliza- tine Mochel registered his name, spelling it "Mochel,"

beth G. Gabel, daughter of David and Mary (Gabel) and he first drifted to what is known as Penns Valley

Gabel, of Colebrookdale township, and they had three in Perry county, above Harrisburg, at a place called

children: Catherine, Sarah Ellen and Charles G. Cath- Millheim. He took up land, but after being there for

erine is the widow of Webster Marquett, born in 1862, some time found the Indians becoming troublesome, so

died in 1898. They had the following children: Edna fearing for his family's safety, he migrated to near

M., Mayme R., Jennie E., John J., C. Earl and Mary Centreport, in the vicinity of Belleman's Church, where

M., the latter of whom died Jan. 31, 1908, aged eleven he took up a tract of land in 1752, and this land has

years, eight months, nine days. Sarah Ellen married remained m the family name to the present time, the

William E. Romig and they reside at Reading and have owner now (1909) being ex-county treasurer David W.

one daughter, Lena B. Charles G., ticket agent at the Mc%el, whose son John operates it. The house as

South Street Ferry, Philadelphia, resides at Camden, originally built by Valentine Mogel (or Mochel) is

N. J., and has had two children, John (deceased) and still standing, altered only by additions made by the

Anna E. present owner. Valentine Mochel had three children,

In politics, Mr. John H. Boyer is identified with the among them Valentine (2).

Republican party. He and family are members of the Valentine M'ochel (2), son of the emigrant, was

Lutheran Church, at Amityville. Mr. Boyer is a mem- born in Centre township. June 22, 1758, and died April

ber of McLean Post No. 16, G. A. R.. Reading. Pa.. 25, 1830. He married Catharine Meyer, and they had

and Washington Camp No. 213, P. O. S. of A., of nine children, among whom were: Valentine (3), born

Amityville. Aug. 12, 1788, died unmarried Feb. 21, 1848; H^nry W..

Morris L. H.- Boyer, son of 'Abraham S., was born born Jan. 30, 1792, died Nov. 14, 1867; and Samuel
in Oley township, July 27, 1848, and was' reared upon With the children of this generation came the change
the farm. He taught school from 1868 to 1880 in Earl in the spelling of the name, doubtless due to the Eng-
and Amity townships. He came to Reading in 1896 lish school teachers, who often tried to Anglicize the
where he has since lived. He is an active Democrat, German names, and were consequently responsible for
and was county auditor from 1885 to 1888; a clerk in the many of the changes in name so common throughout
county commissioners' office from 1888 to 1891; a clerk Pennsylvania. '
in the Register's office from 1891 to 189'4; and Samuel Mogel, son of Valentine (2), was born Nov.
during 1894 was in the Recorder's office. He was 2, 1805, and died May 4, 1&58. He married Sarah Bag-
tax collector in Reading from 1901 to 1907. During enstose, and they had thirteen children,
the Civil War he enlisted at Reading, March 10. 1865, Emendon B. Mogel, son of Samuel and father of
in Company H. 50th Pa. V. V. I., when only sixteen Dr. Peter S., was born Nov. 11. 1834. in Centre town-
years old, and was mustered out with the regiment July ship. Berks county, and he became a well-known man
30, 1865. at the end of the war. He m., Sept. 2, 1869. Re- in his district. He was a veterinary surgeon and for
becca Kohler, of Greenwich township, and they have many years was located at Bernville, where he died
one daughter, Cora, m. to William H. Luppold, city Dec. 17, 1901. He married Louise Schade, daughter of
assessor of Reading. Joseph Schade, and they had two children.: Dr. Peter

S.; and Rev. Levi S., born April 26, 1860, and now a

WILLIAM M. KEIMi (deceased), who was for many Presbyterian minister located at Woodburn, Ore., mar-
years a popular hotel man of Kutztown, Pa., was born ried to Maud McKinney.

in Pike township. Berks county, in July, 1827, son of Dr. Peter S. Mogel received his preliminary educa-

George M. and Susan (Mensh) Keim. tion in the schools of Bernville, and then entered the

George M. Keim was an extensive farmer in Pike Dental Department of the University of Pennsylvania
township, and he followed that occupation until his at Philadelphia, where he graduated in 1889. He then
death, when his property was purchased by his son, located at Bernville where for a time he followed his
William M., who operated it in connection with hotel profession, comling to Reading in 1893. He is a mem-
keeping. At the time of his death, in 1880, William M. ber of the Dental Alumni of the State University of
Keim was pritprietor of the "Keystone Hotel" at Kiutz- the State Dental Society; of the Lebanon Valley Dis-
town. In 'J860 Mr. Keim married Mary Ann R. Gonser, trict Dental Society; of the Reading Dental Society
daughter of William and Mary (Reager) Gonser, and Fraternally he belongs to Isaac Hiester Lodge No. 660
four children were born to this union: Ida Nora m. F. & A. M.; Lodge No. 115, B. P. O. E.; and Coun-
George Marx, of Kutztown, and had one child, Warren cil No. 495, Royal Arcanum.



BIOGRAPHICAL



637



Dr. Mogel married Laura C. Burkhart, and they have
two sons: J. Vincent and Paul B.



Henry W. Mogel, son of Valentine (3) and Cath-
arine (Meyer) Mochel, was born Jan. 30, 1792, and died
Nov. 14,1867. He was a farmer on the old homestead.
He was one of the founders and an official member of
Belleman's Reformed Church in Centre township; and
he was prominent in public affairs, holding a number
of offices.

David W. Mogel, son of Henry W., was born Sept.
17, 1838, and has long been one of the well-known men
in the political life of Berks county. In 1887 he/ was
elected county treasurer, and filled that office efficiently
for three years. During the Civil war he served in
Company D, 167th Pa. V. I. His fraternal connections
are with McLean Post No. 16, G. A. R.; Washington
Camp, No. 165, P. O. S. of A.; and the Pennsylvania
Grange. He m"arried Eliza Fryberger, and they had
nine children: Morgan F., born July 30, 1863; Albert F.,
Nov. 5, 1864; Valentine F.. Nov. 28. 1866 (died Jan.
30, 1896); Ellen F.. April 20, 1869 (died Sept. 22, 1887);
Howard F., June 16, 1871; Levi F., Sept. 9, 1873;
John F.. June §, 1879; Adam F., March 39, 1881 (died
Nov. 17, 1888); 'and David F., July 28, 1885.

Albert F. Mogel, son of David W., was born Nov.
5, 1864. For some years he was a teacher in the pub-
lic schools. In 1902 he was elected sheriff of Berks
county on the Democratic ticket, serving three years.
He is now. living in Leesport, where he has a general
store. He is president of the First National Bank
of Leesport. Fraternally he is a member of Vaux
Lodge. No. 406, F. & A. M., Hamburg; Reading Lodge
of Perfection; Philadelphia Consistory, 32d degree;
Oley Lodge, No. 318, I. O. O. F.; Washington Camp,
No. 165, P. O. S. of A.; Meade Camp, No. 16, S. of V.;
Leesport Castle. No. 503, K. G. E.; Ontelaunee Council,
No. 985, O. t>i I. A.; Leesport Camp, No. 9384, M. W.
of A.; Leesport Temple. No. 10, O. U. A.; Munson
Council, No. 382, D. of L.

On April 19. 1887, Mr. Mogel married Alice Henrietta
Rahn, daughter of William Rahn. Their only daugh-
ter, Emma V., is married to Prof. H. C. Snyder. A son,
Adam C, died Dec. 11, 1890', aged two years.

GEORGE H. FELIX has been a resident of the city
of Reading. Pa., since January, 1874. He was born
in Elizabethtown, Lancaster Co., Pa.. Dec. 29, 1853.
His father, still living in this city at the age of ninety-
five years, is Jacob Felix, son of Henry Felix.

Stephen Felix, his great-grandfather, was born in
Alsace, Germany, in 1741, emigrated to this coun-
try when a young man and settled near Hummels-
town. in Dauphin county, where he engaged in farm-
ing and followed it through life. He died .Oct. 31, 1821,
aged eighty years. He married Mary Magdelena
Eckenroth, of Elizabethtown, who died Feb. 19, 1819.
Stephen Felix was prominently identified with the early
history of Pennsylvania and was one of the pioneer
members of the Catholic Church, worshipping in the
then Mission Church in Elizabethtown, which was
erected in 1779.

Henry Felix, son of Stephen, was born and resided
all his life ort a farm in Dauphin county. Pa., near
Elizabethtown, Pa., where his son Jacob was born.
His wife was Rosanna Lawrence, born in Goshenhop-
pen. now Bally. Pa., who died Nov. 9, 1857.

.Jacob Felix, son of Henry, married Mary Elizabeth
Gross, who was born near Middletown, Dauphin
county, and died in Reading, Pa., in July, 1883, at the
age of sixty-three years. She was the daughter of
Adam and Elizabeth (Mackey) Gross. The former,
Adam Gross, was a son of Andrew Gross, who died
Sept. 19, 1829, aged seventy-nine years, and his wife,
Anna Maria Gross, who died March 25, 1819. aged sixty-
six years. The Gross family in their earlier years were
engaged principally in mercantile pursuits, and were
also among the early Catholic settlers in this State.



The ancestors on both sides of the family of George
H. Felix were honorable and progressive citizens, some
of whom took prominent part in public affairs in the
fiist half of the nineteenth century.

Mr. George H. Felix passed his early years in Eliza- .
betlitown, where he received but a common school
education until sixteen years of age, when he began an
apprenticeship at the cabinet-making trade with his
father, who was then engaged in the furniture manu-
facturing business in that place. He cornpleted his
trade when nineteen years of age, after which he was
employed as a cabinet-maker in a furniture factory in
Middletown, Pa. In 1872 he secured employment in
the cabinet department in the Pennsylvania Railway
shops in Philadelphia, which continued for about one
and one-half years. During his stay in Philadelphia
he secured a business training in the night school of
the Bryant Stratton Business College, which latter
served him well, when, with his father, in 1874 he en-
gaged in the retail furniture and undertaking business
in Reading. In 1876 the furniture part of the business
was discontinued, and their sole attention was given
to the undertaking business. This partnership was
continued until January, 1897. when the father retired,
and the son continued the business until May, 1906.
From July, 1889, to January, 1897, he was also engaged
in the manufacture of bank and office fixtures, hotel
bars, and interior house finishings.

Soon after locating in Reading, and when still a
young man Mr. Felix became associated with some of
the leaders of the Derriocratic party, and winning their
favor soon became popular in the party. In April,
1880, he was chosen clerk of common council of the
city, which position he held for three one-year terms.
Declining a renomination to this office in 1883, he be-
came a candidate for clerk of select council and ex-
officio city clerk, and received the caucus nomination
over his opponent. Factional differences among' coun-
cilmen prevented an election. In April, 1884, Mr.
Felix was again the caucus nominee and was elected,
and re-elected for four succeeding terms, thus serving
with great credit five years as citj' clerk. The clerk
of select council was also ex-officio secretary of the
board of water commissioners. The business of the
Water Department attracted Mr. Felix's attention more
particularly, and he made a close study of its affairs.
In February, 1891, Mr. Felix was elected by city coun-
cils a member of the board of water commissioners
for the Fourth district for a term of four years, an
honorary position to which he was re-elected for three
additional successive terms. In March, 1892, he was
chosen by his colleagues president of the board, and
continued the directing head of the Department for a
period of ten years, during which time he took the
initiative in making and executing plans for the future
development and growth of the water works system,
so as to meet the demands of a rapidly growing city
population. In the board one of his special desires
was to preserve harmonious relations with his col-
leagues, thus securing united action in his. recommenda-
tions for the betterment of the system.

His progressive spirit, indomitable energy, and care-
ful judgment, together with the prestige he obtained
among the city councilmen, were influences which
induced the city fathers to support him and the water
board in almost any legislation recommended for the
extension, maintenance and financial benefit of the
Water Department. The one improvement to the
water works system which Mr. Felix most persistently
urged for many years, and the one most stubbornly
resisted by the people of the city, was the purification
of the whole water supply by some system of filtration,
a work thoroughly practical, economical and necessary
to the health and happiness of the citizens. His
agitation of this question began in 1895, and securing
the concrrrence of his colleagues in his views, was con-
tinued for years until in 1902 he secured authority
for a sample filter plant for the Egelman supply. The



638



HISTORY OF BERKS COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



success 'of this plant proved a strong recommendation
for autliority, granted later, to build at Twentieth street and
Perkiomen avenue a plant of the same type for the
Antietam supply, the most objectionable drinking
• water in summer furnished to the citizens. So success-
ful and satisfactory have been the results attained by
this improvement, that the citizens generally withdrew
their antagonism to the filtration of the water supply,
and conceded that Mr. Felix together with, the other
members of the board had really done a great work,
.and deserved the commendation of every citizen. That
this was true is proved by the fact that a few years
later a loan of $500,000 was voted by the people for
the purification of the remaining sources of supply,
viz.: the Maiden Creek and the Bernhart Creek, by the
same system of filtration.

Mr. Felix continued as a water commissioner until
September, 1904, when he resigned and was chosen by
the board general manager of the Water Department,
pursuant to an ordinance unanimously passed by
councils creating that office and prescribing duties. He
served in this capacity for a period of seventeen
months, when the legality of the ordinance creating
the position was raised by a few citizens, and a suit
in court begun to decide it. Not desiring to hold an
office of doubtful legality he resigned it Feb. 1, 1906,
before the case was tried, thus ending an honorable
career in public life of about twenty-two years, thirteen
of which were served gratuitously. Mr. Felix enjoys
the confidence of the best people in the city, many of
whom regard his efforts in behalf of the city Water
Department as laying the foundation for the present
excellent water works system. He continues his interest
in the water works and takes pleasure in seeing that
many of the improvements now being made are along
the lines he favored in years gone by. He retains his
m'embe/ship in the American Water Works Association,
which 'connection has now covered a period of sixteen
years, served five years on its executive committee,
and was chosen its president in 1907, and pre-
sided in the City of Washington in 1908 at the
largest convention it ever held. He is also a member
of the New England Water Works Associa.tion, and
was chosen a member of the Pennsylvania Water
Works Association in 1908, and was immediately chosen
its second vice-president. He was director of the
Second National Bank, and president of the Reading
Suburban Water Company for several years. He is
at present engaged in real estate operations, the build-
ing and development of real estate on his own ac-
count and for others, and is the manager of the West
Reading Realty Company.

Mr. Felix has enjoyed twenty-five years of married
life. On Feb. 6. 1884, he wedded Katharine V., daugh-
ter of Francis J. and Catharine P. Obert, of Reading.
Mr. Obert, who was proprietor of the Union Boiler
Works of Reading, was born in Baden, Germany, but
came to this country when still in his minority. Mrs.
Obert, whose maiden name was Winter, was born in
Reading of German parentage. Her father was Joseph
Winter who for many years was proprietor of a tan-
nery at Second and Chestnut streets, Reading. Mrs.
Felix has two sisters, Mary and Anna, residing in
Reading with the father. To Mr. and Mrs. Felix have
been born two daughters, Gertrude Loyola and Mary
Katharine. Gertrude L. graduated from the Reading
high school in 1904, and took a post-graduate course of
two years in preparation for a course in Wellesley Col-
lege which, unfortunately, ill health compelled her to
relinquish after a short stay at the college. M. Katha-
rine after leaving the city grammar school completed
her education by a three years' course at Mt. Aloysius
Academy, Cresson. Pa., and two years at Eden Hall,
Academy of the Sacre.d Heart, Torresdale. Pennsyl-
vania. Mr. Felix and his family are' consistent mem-
bers of St. Peter's Catholic Church. He is a member
of the Knights of Columbus and of the Beneficial



Brotherhood of the Holy Cross, of which he has been
treasurer for the past sixteen years. He has a large
acquaintance in the business and social circles of the city.

CHARLES N. FRAME, an enterprising business
man of Reading, manager and city circulator of the
Reading Eagle, with which paper he has been identi-
fied since 1875, was born Dec. 31, 1848, at Reading,
son of Conrad and Catherine ^Marx) Frame, and
grandson of George Ulrich Fremd, as the name was
originally spelled.

George Ulrich Fremd was born June 3, 1773, in
Vaihingen, Germany, where he married, Feb. 11, 1798,
Christina Dorothea Alsesser. born in the same place,
June 10, 1774. Prior to coming to America Mr. Fremd
had worked as a tanner and currier, but after coming
to this country probably engaged in farming, settling
in the vicinity of Reading. His death was caused by
an accident while fording the Schuylkill river in 1823,
when he was aged fifty years. Mr. Fremd and his wife
had the following children: Johann Christian, born
Jan. 24, 1799. settled in Mifflin county; Johannes, born
May 13, 1803. moved to Philadelphia; Anna Maria, born
May 28, 1805, settled in Philadelphia; Christina Doro-
thea, born Sept. 13, 1811, m. George Ulrich, born Nov.
21, 1814, and they lived in Philadelphia; Eliza, born
in Berks county, m. Risden Nichols; and Conrad, born
Jan. 27, 1816.

Conrad Frame was a small boy when he accornpanied
his parents to America, and after the death of his fath-
er he lived for a few months with his brother Christian,
and then started out to make his own way in the world.
He found a position as tow boy on the canal, and
through his industry and attention to the details of
his work he was promoted until the time came when
he was made master of the canal boat known as the
"Rough and Ready." which was owned by Darrah &
Young, of Leesport, Pa. He continued to follow the
boating business until 1848, when he engaged in a
mercantile business _at Jackson's Locks. Here he did
an extensive business in supplying and outfitting canal
boats and he continued this enterprise until 1861. In
185S' he engaged in a coal business at the Lancaster
bridge, at the Haubner stand, which is still in the posses-
sion of the family. He remained in that business uiitil
his death in 1885. Both he and his wife, Catherine
Marx, are buried at the Charles Evans cemetery. He
was a Lutheran in religious belief, while she was reared
a Methodist. Mr. and Mrs. Frame had seven children:
William J., a retired resident of Reading; Charles N.;
George C., deceased; Harry C, formerly engaged in
the coal business at Reading; Samuel A., deceased; H.
W. ; and A. L., who is engaged in a foundry business
in this city.

Charles N. Frame was educated in the schools of
Reading and attended the old Reading high school,
where many of the leading citizens of Reading were
educated. When he started to work, his first position
was that of clerk and errand boy in a grocery, owned
by William J. Rhoads, with whom he remained until
the business was bought out by Mr. Markley. with
whom Mr. Frame remained until he in turn sold out.
For two years following he was a clerk in a general
store conducted by David Keiser, whom he left to en-
gage in a grocery business with his father, with whom
he remained one year and then accepted a position
with an uncle in Philadelphia for a short period. Mr,
Frame then returned to his native city, and for two
years conducted a flour and feed business, which he
subsequently sold and went into a men's furnishing
business, and this he disposed of in 1875 in order to
accept the agency of the Reading Eagle. Mr, Frame
has been very successful in this line, and since 1875
has had the sole management of the city circulation,
including the hiring of the newsboys and office help,
and has in his employ some seventy-five people. It
will thus be seen that Mr. Frame is a very necessary
factor in the business success of this popular journal.



BIOGRAPHICAL



639



Mr. Frame was married to Louisa Bertolet. daugh-
ter of Maberry Bertolet, and they have had seven
children, as follows: Robert; Katherine; Charles, de-
ceased; Bertolet F.; Maria D.; Helen M., and Louisa
D. _ In their religious belief the family are Presby-
terians. Fraternally Mr. Frame belongs to St. John's
Lodge, No. 435, F. & A. M. He formerly belonged to
the I. O. O. F., was a charter member of Perseverance
Council, Jr. O. U. A. M., a member of the Knights of
the Golden Eagle, and a member of Mt. Penn Council.
Royal Arcanum. He is a member of the Liberty Fire
Company. Mr. Frame has always taken a good citizen's
interest in the city's affairs, and has served one year
as a member of the council from the First ward. Mr.
Frame gives liberal support to schools, churches, chari-
ties and benevolent objects, and has never been want-
ing in public spirit when measures looking to the wel-
fare of his fellow citizens have been brought to his
attention. He is probably as well known as any citizen
of Reading, who has been a resident here for as many
years.

FRANKLIN W. GERHART. Among the prominent
and enterprising citizens of Berks county was the late
Franklin W. Gerhart, whose death occurred Nov. 11,
1868. He was born in Bedford county. Pa., in 1839,
brother of the late Rev. Henry Gerhart.

The following is taken from one of the local papers
at the time of the death of the Rev. Henry Gerhart:
"Rev. Henry Gerhart, an aged gentleman, for many
years past a resident of North Wales, died at his home
at School street, Tuesday night, Dec. 17, at 11:30 o'clock,
of heart disease. He had not been in his usual good
health for a week past, but no serious outcome was
expected from his indisposition. Deceased was at one
time a minister, a school teacher and a soldier, serving
in the Rebellion, participating in the battle of Antie-
tam. He was born in Bedford, Bedford Co., Pa., Dec. 6,
1821, his father at that time being a missionary to that
country, having been sent from Hatfield by the Re-
formed Synod of this section of the State. In 1829
the father again became a resident of Hatfield, and
Henry attended school in that vicinity. From there he
went to Mercersburg College, and after graduating
taught school for eight years in Kentucky. Then he
went to Franklin and Marshall College at Lancaster
to prepare for the ministry. After finishing the pre-
scribed courses there he received several calls to various
churches, but never accepted any of them. He then
enlisted for four years in the Union Army under Gen-
eral Sherman and during his army life contracted sev-
eral diseases, the most serious of which was asthma,
and for which he received a pension. Two years ago
he was an inmate of the Soldiers' Home at Erie, Pa.
He was an intelligent and well-read gentleman, and
during his leisure hours wrote many interesting ac-
counts of his war experiences besides articles upon
religious and historical subjects. The branch of the
Gerhart family of which he was a member is a large
one, consisting of ten children, as follows: Fannie, now
living in North Wales; Christiana, of Philadelphia; Mrs.



Online LibraryMorton L. (Morton Luther) MontgomeryHistorical and biographical annals of Berks County, Pennsylvania, embracing a concise history of the county and a genealogical and biographical record of representative families, comp. by Morton L. Montgomery .. → online text (page 180 of 227)