Morton L. (Morton Luther) Montgomery.

Historical and biographical annals of Berks County, Pennsylvania, embracing a concise history of the county and a genealogical and biographical record of representative families, comp. by Morton L. Montgomery .. online

. (page 181 of 227)
Online LibraryMorton L. (Morton Luther) MontgomeryHistorical and biographical annals of Berks County, Pennsylvania, embracing a concise history of the county and a genealogical and biographical record of representative families, comp. by Morton L. Montgomery .. → online text (page 181 of 227)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


Jesse Hendricks, of North Wales; Elizabeth, who died
in Bedford; Jacob, of Norristown; Simon, of Lansdale;
Samuel who died in Hatfield; Franklin W.. who died
some years ago while distributing some mail in his
store at Limerick Square, and Dr. Alexander Gerhart,
who died in Lansdale."

Franklin W. Gerhart attended the public schools and
Franklin and Marshall College at Lancaster, and for a
time taught school, later engaging in the mercantile
business at Limerick Square, Pa., where he remained
until his death. He was postmaster at this point, hav-
ing the office in his store, and rose early on the morn-
ing of his death. While attending to his duties at
his office, his death occurred. He was a well-known
and highly-esteemed man, and his death occurred when
he was thirty-nine years, two months and five days old.
He was a member of the Reformed Church; in politics



he was a Democrat. Mr. Gerhart married Sarah Ann
Huber, daughter of Jonas and Maria (Kurtz) Huber,
and to this union were born the following children:
Clara m. G. W. Rehrer, and has three children, J.
Franklin, Robert and Paul; Simon W., a buyer for a
dry goods house of Cleveland, Ohio, has these children,
Glen, Clyde, Leslie, Gordon and Margaretta; Mary E.
m. William Landaw, and resides at home with her
mother; Ella m. Charles E. Bodey, Who is in the
hardware business in Reading, and has had children,
Earle (died Sept. 35, 1S'06), Maria and Allen. Mrs. Ger-
hart carrie to Reading with her family in 1871, and has
since resided at her home. No. 928 Elm street;

Jonas Huber, father of Mrs. Gerhart, followed farm-
ing at Gilbertsville, and was a very prom;inent man
of his day, serving as deacon and elder of the Re-
formed Church. In politics he was a Democrat. He
and his wife were the parents of three children: Mil-
ton, who died at the age of twenty-one years; Sarah
A., who became Mrs. Gerhart; and Rev. S. M. K.
Huber, of Philadelphia.

The Rev. S. M. K. Huber, a mjinister of the Re-
formed Church, graduated from Mechanicsburg, Pa.,
seminary. He married Amanda Fritz, of Limerick, Pa.,
and they have a family of seven children, namely:
Mary B., Martha D., Ella B., Sallie, Nevin, Paul and
Bertha.

JOHN S. MATTHIAS, prominently identified with
business, political and fraternal circles of Reading, was
born in that city, Oct. 23, 1860, son of David and Eliza-
beth (Whitman) Matthias.

David Matthias lives retired in Reading. His two
sons both reside here also: W. C, Superintendent of
Fire Alarm at City Hall; and John S., who is the rep-
resentative of the Lauer Brewing Companv.

John S. Matthias attended school in Reading and then
entered the Keyston'e State Normal School at Kutz-
town, after which he took a commercial course at the
Reading business college, where he graduated. He
then served as bookkeeper in a brickyard for five years,
and spent four years as a clerk in a mercantile estab-
lishment at Kutztown. Following this he was con-
nected for some eight years with the Reading Eagle,
and then became bill clerk with the United States Ex-
press Company for about four years. On Feb. 1, 1900,
Mr. Matthias became associated with the Lauer Brew-
ing Company.

Mr. Matthias was niarried to Sallie E. Wilson, daugh-
ter of Lyman Wilson, a well known citizen of Reading.
Politically Mr. Matthias is a Republican. In 1904 he
was elected a member of the city council from the
Fifth ward, by a majority of 216 votes, the largest
vote ever given any candidate for the same office in
that ward. He is a valued member of Reading Lodge
of Elks, No. 115;- and of quite a number of other sec-
ret organizations.

WILLIAM F. ANTHONY, a contracting brick-
layer of No, 327 North Ninth street, Reading, and one
of that city's representative citizens, was born Dec. 7,
1849, in Bern township, Berks county, son of Thomas
and Rebecca (Spade) Anthony.

John Anthony, grandfather of Wlilliam F., was a rail-
road employe and worked for the Philadelphia & Read-
ing Comipany many years. He died in Reading at the
age of sixty years, he and his wife, Henrietta Schantz,
having been the parents of eighteen children, seventeen
sons and one daughter, among w,hom were Thomas,
Henry, George, William, Charles, Luther, Cyrus,
John C. and Emma (m. John Plaster, of Huntington,
Ind.).

Thomas Anthony was in his youth employed by the
Philadelphia & Reading Company as fireman, and later
promoted to the position of engineer, which he held
until the time of his death, in his thirty-seventh year.
His widow, Rebecca (Spade) Anthony, who is living
at the age of eighty-three years, makes her homte with



640



HISTORY OF BERKS COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



her youngest son, Daniel. Their children were: Wil-
liam F.; John; Selida, m. George Fick; Daniel; and
Rebecca, deceased.

William F. Anthony received his education in Read-
ing attending night schools. At an early age he learned
the trades of bricklaying and hatting, the latter with
J. H. Spatz at Mohnton. After several years spent at
the hatting trade, Mr. Anthony again took up brick-
laying, and in 1871 engaged in cqntracting business.
Two years later, however, he again' engaged in hatting,
but did not follow that occupation for any length of
time. He once niore took up bricklaying, and in 1904
again engaged in the business on his own account, now
employing forty-seven hands. Mr. Anthony is very
skilled in his work, and some of the finest buildings
in Reading will testify to the fact. He erected the
German Greek Catholic Church, and Eisenbrown mar-
ble plant (which is one of the finest and largest of
its kind in the State), and the private residence of Mr.
Joseph Ganter at Mt. Penn borough.

Mt. Anthony married H'enrietta Goodhart, daughter
of John N. and Sarah C. (Lovering) Goodhart, and
they reside at No. 337 North Ninth street. Mr. An-
thony organized Bricklayers' Union, No. 21, and served
as its first president. He is a member of the 1900
Beneficial Association; the Northeastern Democratic
Association; and the Owls, and Turn-Verein Associa-
tions. Iri political matters he is independent, voting
for the man, regardless of party ties.

DANIEL F. PRINTZ illustrates in a remarkable degree
the power of natural endowments to overcome adverse
circumstances, for though he started in youth without
promise of any kind he nevertheless reached a position of
commanding influence in manufactures, building opera-
tions and finance almost at the threshold of his business
career, which he has maintained in this community for
twenty years with increasing success.

Mr. Printz was born at Reading shortly after the close
of the Civil war, on Oct. 26, 1865, and his mother having
died when he was but a year old he was allowed to
drift along without parental care as to his future destiny.
Quite naturally he received a limited education in the
elementary branches in the local schools which he attended
until he became twelve years of age, and then secured
his first regular employment for wages in the Reading
Hardware Works. While he was working there a spirit
of ambition to become a skilled mechanic asserted itself
and accordingly within a year he applied for an appren-
ticeship in the machine shop of the Philadelphia & Read-
ing Railway Company, which had a recognized fame for
developing finished workmen. His application was granted
and for the next four years, until the end of his apprentice-
ship, he exerted himself toward acquiring a practical
knowledge of the trade in all its branches; and he re-
mained with the company afterward for five years for the
purpose of increasing his proficiency.

With this experience in turning out and running ma-
chinery, he, at the age of twenty-five years, felt qualified
to start in business for himself; and associating himself as
partner with Mr. Samuel H. Fulmer, banker of Reading,
he purchased a nickel-plating works. Within one year
his genius for organizing and directing an enterprise was
displayed in the development of the works into an estab-
lishment for the manufacture of bicycle saddles and acces-
sories. This was in 1891, when the bicycle craze in the
country was at its highest point. The firm was known as
the P. & F. Manufacturing Co., and in a few years its
productions came to be forwarded to all parts of the
world, and its plant to be known as the largest of its
kind operated anywhere, with a volume of business ex-
ceeding that of any other similar enterprise in the country.

The spirit of organization, co-operation and concentra-
tion was formulating and developing rapidly in the United
States during this period, and in the next ten years the
P. & F. Manufacturing Company had come to possess so
much influence in the line of bicycle accessories that it
was purchased by the American Saddle Company, with Mr.



Printz included as one of the directors of the company;
and this company afterward came to be absorbed by the
American Bicycle Company when he retired from the
management.

In 1893 the Reading Wood Pulley Company was incor-
porated with Mr. Printz as one of the directors, and he
was chosen as president of the corporation, which position
he has filled to the present time, successfully directing its
affairs. During this period building operations were going
on extensively at Reading, and Mr. Printz became inter-
ested in them; and coroperating with Mr. Fulmer and
later with Lambert Rehr and Jacob B. Fricker, he assisted
in erecting and disposing of several hundred dwelling-
houses, mostly in east Reading on and in the vicinity of
Perkiomen avenue.

In 1902 the Reading Stove Works was found to require
re-organization, and the stockholders, appreciating the
ability of Mr. Printz in managing various enterprises
successfully, selected him to become its president. He
has filled this position to the present, maintaining its trad-
ing relations throughout the country, even throughout the
world, in an admirable manner, and keeping up the repu-
tation of Orr, Painter & Co., for superior stoves and
heaters, which had been established by his predecessor,
Jesse Orr.

In 1904 Mr. Printz became interested in establishing a
furniture business at Pittston, Pa.; in 1905 at AUentown,
Pa. ; in 1907 at Hazleton, Pa., and in the same year at
Rochester, N. Y. ; and in 1908 at Newark, N. J. — with a
total capitalization of more than a million dollars by the
several companies (made up of associates of his from
Reading).

In 1904 Mr. Printz organized the Penn Shoe Manufactur-
ing Company for the manufacture of shoes; and in 1905 he
organized the Reading Saddle Manufacturing Company, for
the purpose of manufacturing bicycle saddles and hard-
ware specialties which have since been sold extensively
throughout the country, and he has officiated at the head
of these enterprises to the present time. In 1906, upon
the reorganization of the Reading Standard Manufacturing
Company, for the increased manufacture of motor cycles,
he was selected to act as president of the company. Over
two thousand employes are required in the numerous in-
dustrial establishments under his control and supervision ;
and daily reports are submitted or forwarded to him for
his inspection and approval, which evidences the exten-
sive and important character of his duties and respon-
sibilities.

Mr. Printz represented the ward in which he resides
(the Sixteenth) on th? school board as one of the control-
lers from that district for two terms from 1898 to 1906 ;
he has served as a director of the Penn National Bank
since 1903, acting as chairman of the building committee;
and since 1904 he has filled the position of treasurer of
the Pennsylvania Stove Manufacturers Association.

_In 1881 Mr. Printz married Matilda Becker, daughter
of Nicholas Becker, of Reading, and granddaughter of
Samuel Lewis, a descendant of one of the earliest settlers
in Cumru township, at "Lewis' Neck" along the Schuylkill
river, and great-granddaughter of Philip Rush, a descend-
ant of Michael Rosch, Sr., who emigrated from Remming-
sheim-, in Wurtemberg, Germany, and settled at Reading
in 1751. By her he has a son, Harold Ellsworth, who was
educated in the local schools and Kenyon Military Acad-
emy, Gambier, Ohio.

Jarnes Printz, the father of Daniel F., is a machinist of
Reading; he married Susan Homan, daughter of Daniel
Homan, of Reading, and they had two children: Charles
(deceased) and Daniel F. Printz.

DAVID HERTZOG, who for many years was en-
gaged in the lumber business in Reading. Berks county,
was a native of this county, born in Oley township,
Sept. 16, 1834, son of Jacob and Mary (Greisimer)
Hertzog, natives of this county. Mr. Hertzog died at
his home in Reading in August, ISflS.

Jacob Hertzog was an agriculturist of Berks county,
and owned and operated a well-cultivated farm. He



BIOGRAPHICAL



641



was well-known throughout the township. He and his
wife were the parents of the following children: Wil-
liam, a blacksmith of Mohnton; Henry, of Pleasant-
ville; Catherine, m. to a Mr. Dilliplaine, of Oley town-
ship; and David. The family were members of the
Reformed Church.

David Hertzog received a common school education
in Oiey township, and during his minority engaged in
farming. On the death of his father, he inherited a
farm near Shillington, Pa., and this he operated for a
time, but later embarked in the lumber business, pur-
chasing many tracts of wooded land. He continued in
this connection and became very prosperous. IVLr.
Hertzog was married in November, 1857, to Margaret
Yocum, daughter of Daniel Yocum, and four children
were born to this union: John, deceased; Daniel W.,
deceased; Henry F., a prominent hardware merchant
of Reading; and Katie, m. to Ellis Worley, of Mohn-
ton. Mrs. Hertzog is a member of the Reformed
Church, and formerly took an active interest in the
work of that church. Mr. Hertzog was a Democrat
in politics, but took only a good, citizen's part by cast-
ing his ballot, caring nothing for political preferment.

ALBERT B. KAUFMANN, connected with the insur-
ance business in Reading, is one of the influential men of
that city. Mr. Kaufmann comes from German ancestry,
his father crossing the sea in 1850, settling in Reading,
and following his trade of a tailor with the clothing
house of Jameson & Co., whom he served faithfully
for nearly fifty years. He died Feb. 23, .1892, at the
age of seventy-one years. He married Christiana, daugh-
ter of John and Christiana Boyer, and she died Dec. 11,
1894, at the age of sixty-eight. She was the mother
of ten children, four of whom are deceased; the others
are Carolina, m. to Charles Drick, a planing mill oper-
ative; John, a clerk in Reading; Charles, a tailor with
Jameson & Co., for over thirty years; Adolph G., a
grocer, member of the firm of Smith & Kaufmann,
Reading; Albert B.; and William G., a tailor in Read-
ing.

Albert B. Kaufmann, born Jan. 22, 1867, in Reading,
was educated in St. John's Lutheran parochial school
of the city. He began his business life early, engaging
as an operative in a planing mill, and this he followed
for twenty-one years, when he launched out into the
real estate and insurance business, which he has con-
tinued with success to the present time. Fraternally
Mr. Kaufmann is a member of the I. O. O. F. and the
Encampment and the Protestant Junior Association.
H« is quite active in church work,, being a member of
St. John's Lutheran Church, where he has served as a
member of the choir. He is also a member of the or-
ganization known as St. John's Beneficial Society of
the Lutheran Church. Mr. Kaufmann is a Democrat in
politics.

On Oct. 29, 1888, Mr. Kaufmann married Miss Emma
R. Braun, daughter of Jacob and Elizabeth Braun, both
now deceased. Two of the six children born to this
marriage, Florence May and Emma R.. died in infancy;
those living are Adelaide, Elmer T., Walter J. and Ruth
Elizabeth.

RANDOLPH S. MECK, assistant cashier of the
Farmers' National Bank of Reading since 1903, was
born at Schuylkill Haven, Pa., Oct. 3, 1873. He ac-
quired his education at Refton, Lancaster county, and
at Reading, Pa., and upon completing a special course
in civil engineering secured a position with the Phil-
adelphia & Reading Railway Company as a civil en-
gineer. He continued with the company five years,
resigning in 1893 to accept a position as messenger
and clerk with the Farmers' National Bank of Read-
ing. On account of his proficiency and reliability he
was rapidly promoted until he became the assistant
cashier of the bank in 1903, and he has filled this posi-
tion in a most satisfactory manner until the present
time. He is a past president of the Reading Council
41



of the American Life and Annuity Society of Pittsburg,
Pa. and he is prominently identified with the Masonic
order in Reading.

In 1896, Mr. Meek was married to Clara A. Ruth,
daughter of John A. Ruth, who has been connected
with the Reading Eagle as solicitor and collector for
manv years. They are active members of Calvary
Reformed Church, both taking great interest in the
work of the Sunday-school as well as of the church.
He is a memjber of the Consistory, and treasurer of
the church. Mrs. Meek is also actively interested in
the work of the Y. W'. C. A. at Reading, having been
one of the directors for many years.

Mr. Meck's father is James A. Meek. He was born
in 1848, in Bethel township, Berks county, while his
father was cultivating a farm there. When a young
man he was employed by the Philadelphia & Reading
Railway Company at Schuylkill Haven, and he con-
tinued there until 1878, when he removed to Refton,
Lancaster county, and engaged in the coal and lumber
business until 1885. He then sold his business and
accepted the position of assistant superintendent of
the Baltimore Mutual Aid Association at Reading.
He filled this position and later the position of super-
intendent until 1904, when he located at Harrisburg.
and became the superintendent of the Commonwealth
Title Insurance & Trust Company, which responsible
position he has since been filling. He was married to
Susanna Coho (daughter of John L. Coho, of Schuyl-
kill Haven), and they have three sons: Harry C. (cash-
ier of the Reading Brewing Company, m. Mary Ruth);
Edgar (manager of a department in the large store of
Brown Shoe Company, St. Louis, Mo., m. Fannie
Frost) ; and Randolph.

Mr. Meck's grandfather was Benjamin Meek, born
in 1804 in Longswamp township, Berks county, where
he learned the trade of a shoe-maker, following it until
1845. He then bought a large farm in Bethel township
which he cultivated until his death in 1889. Hie was
married to Elizabeth Ruth (daughter of Jacob Ruth,
farmer of Spring township), and they had fourteen
children: nine sons and five daughters.

And his great-grandfather was Dewald Meek, farmer
of Longswamp township, who was a son of Jacob
Meek, a farmer of Oley township.

HENRY G. YOUNG (deceased) was a native citizen
of Reading, son of Jacob Young, and one of a family
well known in this city.

The paternal grandparents were Jacob and Mary
(SchrefiSer) Young, the former of whom was a native
of Reading. He was a prominent brick manufacturer
there, having established his plant when the city was
only a small town, and successfully conducting it until
his death in 1835. His wife survived him until 1854.
They were the parents of the following children:
Jacob (2); William S.; Charles; Elizabeth, m. to George
Geiss; and Maria, who m. Peter Sherman, and had one
daughter, Maria. Jacob Young was a Catholic in re-
ligious belief, and his wife was a Lutheran. In pol-
itics he was a Democrat.

Jacob Young (2), father of Henry G., passed all his
life in Reading, where he died at the home of his
son, Henry G., in 1893, aged eighty-one years less one
month. His brickyard was located where his son's
late home stood, and for thirty years he was in the
retail coal business. He was prominent in public life,
and was prison inspector twelve years, and county
commissioner three years. For many years he was a
deacon in Trinity Lutheran Church. He married Cath-
arine Henninger, who died in 1883, aged sixty-four
years, and both are buried in the Lutheran cemetery
at Reading. Their children were: Henry G.; Jacob
never married; and Sallie married Joseph Klopp (de-
ceased), of Reading. All three are deceased.

Henry G. Young was born Dec. 28, 1838, and his
life covered a span of more than sixty years, being
brought to a peaceful close Jan. 9, 1900. His first ex-



642



HISTORY OF BERKS COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



perience in business was with his father, a brick man-
ufacturer, but after working for him a while, he gave
that up and secured a position Jn the Navy Yard, where
he remained for seven years. ' At the end of that time
he went to Kutztown, and in partnership with Fred
Zehm, conducted a foundry for a couple of years. With-
drawing from that enterprise he went back to Reading,
and once more went in with his father, for whom he
worked until 1896, in which year he was elected city
treasurer. He was still discharging the duties of that
office when death claimed him. For fourteen years
Mr. Young also served as superintendent of the Trinity
Lutheran Cemetery.

In 1S63 Mr. Young was married to Miss Hettie A.
Rahn, daughter of John Rahn, and a family of five
children was horn to them as follows: Clara; Fred;
Katie, m. to John Miller; Ida, m. to Frank Gendall; and
Jacob. Mr. and Mrs. Young belonged to Trinity
Lutheran Church in which he officiated as deacon for
twelve years. Both were active in various departments
of the church work, and were prominent among its
members. Mr. Young likewise was connected with
several fraternal organizations, in whose aims and
methods he took much interest, belonging to the Ma-
sons, the Knights Templars and the Odd Fellows. In
politics he always supported the Democratic ticket.
Mr. Young was one of Reading's prominent citizens.

William S. Young, brother of Jacob (3), was born
March 10, 1831. He first learned to make shoes, but
as that trade did not prove congenial to his tastes,
he learned brickmaking, and for many years was in
the same line of business, that his father before him
had followed. For a long time he was located at No.
63 Spruce street, but later removed to the vicinity of
the Philadelphia & Reading depot, and remained there
until he retired from business in 1865.

William S. Young's chief connection with public
life came after he retired. He had before the war
served as market commissioner, and was active in the
Democratic party, but the greatest service of his to
the community came after his election in 1865 to the
office of county commissioner.' When he entered upon
the duties of that position the county was $600,000 in
debt and Mr. Young made it his chief aim to reduce
this amount. In 1868 he was re-elected to a second
term of three yeafs, and when he retired from office
in 1871, the county was not only free from debt, but
also had a balance in the treasury, a noteworthy
achievement and an illustration of what the application
of business principles and honesty can accomplish in
the public service. In 1879 Mr. Young was again nom-
inated and elected county commissioner but he retired
in 1881. He always received good majorities, and had
the confidence not only of his own party, in which
he was for years a prominent counsellor, but of the
county at large. He was a good speaker and during
the campaign before the election of S. E. Ancona
stumped the county for him, while for years no county
convention was complete without him. No other man
has held three times the office of county commissioner
for Berks county, and this fact alone, if proof were
needed, would attest the great personal popularity of
Mr. Young.

William S. Young was united in marriage to Miss
Susan Geiss, and children were born to them as fol-
lows: Mary, who married a Mr. Cox, and has two
children, Drusilla and Ralph; Hannah, widow of the
late Thomas R. Hannah, and mother of one daughter,
Susan; Sophia; and William R., who married Sallie
Hawes and has four children, Paul, William. Mary and
Helen. Mrs. Young passed from this world Dec. 39,
1904. She belonged, as did her husband, to Trinity
Lutheran Church, and was an active worker in it.
Mr. Young was for many years an Odd Fellow, be-
longing to Montgomery Lodge, and to the Encamp-
ment.



REV. GEORGE B. SMITH. On Jan. 30, 1733, the
proprietaries of the Province of Pennsylvania granted
Casper Wister a patent for 633 acres of land lying
in Philadelphia county. By the subsequent subdivis-



Online LibraryMorton L. (Morton Luther) MontgomeryHistorical and biographical annals of Berks County, Pennsylvania, embracing a concise history of the county and a genealogical and biographical record of representative families, comp. by Morton L. Montgomery .. → online text (page 181 of 227)