Morton L. (Morton Luther) Montgomery.

Historical and biographical annals of Berks County, Pennsylvania, embracing a concise history of the county and a genealogical and biographical record of representative families, comp. by Morton L. Montgomery .. online

. (page 184 of 227)
Online LibraryMorton L. (Morton Luther) MontgomeryHistorical and biographical annals of Berks County, Pennsylvania, embracing a concise history of the county and a genealogical and biographical record of representative families, comp. by Morton L. Montgomery .. → online text (page 184 of 227)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


ness oif manufacturing wool hats at Adamstown and he
followed it until he died, in 1868. He married Susan Boll-
man, a daughter of Jacob Bollman, farmer of Cumru (af-
terward Spring) township, Berks county, and they had six
children: John, George, Kate (m. Isaac Lausch), Henry,
Louisa (m. William Humbert) and William. After the
decease of his first wife, in 1862, he married Susan Will, a
daughter of Henry Will, a coach-maker of Cumru township,
and by her had two children, Emma (m. Isaac Y. Spang)
and Howard (who died in infancy). And his grandfather
was John Hendel, who settled in Lancaster county, at
Adamstown, where he carried on the business of cabinet-
making. He married Catharine Auman, and they had three
children: Levi, John and Theresa (m. William Fichthorn).

Daniel Jacob Hendel, the senior partner of John Hen-
del's Sons, manufacturers of hats at Reading since 1895,
was born at Adamstown, Lancaster county, July 8, 1855. He
received his preliminary education at Adamstown and Read-
ing, and then took a course of advanced studies in Millers-
ville State Normal School, for several years, until he was
sixteen years of age. He then entered his father's hat
factory at Reading for the purpose of learning the busi-
ness in all its branches, and after serving a regular ap-
prenticeship and working as a journeyman until he became
of age he was appointed foreman of the finishing depart-
ment, which imposed upon him as a young man a large
shajre of responsibility. He managed this department for
several years until 1879, when he was admitted as a part-
ner, evidencing the skillful manner in which he had dis-
charged his duties.

Mr. Hendel continued with the firm until 1895, attend-
ing strictly to business and gradually assuming more and
more responsibilities, when the firm was reorganized by the
senior partner's three sons (Daniel, Edwin and Harrison),
who purchased the plant and took upon themselves its
management, for which they had been gradually prepared
by their father, and in which they have since been very




AvOiH^ V^z/^e^^W,



/





ZyC^7>C^




^'S.



BIOGRAPHICAL



649



successful, trading under the name of John Hendel's Sons.
[See sketch of this firm.} He was made a Freemason in
St. John's Lodge No. 435, F. and A. M., at Reading, in 1883,
and was advanced to the thirty-second degree in the Phila-
delphia Consistory in 1891. He has also been identified
with the Reading Commandery, No. 42, Knights Templar,
of which he officiated as eminent commander, in 1894.
Since 1906, he has served as a director of the First Nation-
al Bank, of which his father had been one of the directors
from 1879 to 1903,

In 1880 Mr. Hendel married Amanda M. Bachman,
daughter of Charles S. Bachman (a successful merchant-
tailor for many years at Reading) and Sarah F. Barndt,
his wife, by whom he had three sons : George Stanley,
Frederick Bachman and Harry Bachman — the last two
having been twins, who died in youth.

Edwin Franklin Hendel, junior partner of John Hen-
del's Sons, was born at St. Lawrence, near Reading, March
30, 1866, and was an infant when his parents removed to
Reading. He acquired his- early education in the schools
at Reading, and then attended an advanced school at
Hackettstown, N. J. He learned the trade of hatter in his
father's large establishmEnt, where he was employed until
1895 ; then he and his two brothers, Daniel and Harrison,
formed a co-partnership of John Hendel's Sons and pur-
chased the hat factory of Hendel Brothers, Sons & Co., in-
cluding its extensive trade; and since then this co-partner-
ship has carried on the business in a very successful manner.
Mr. Hendel was made a Freemason in St. John's Lodge,
No. 435, in 1903 ; and in June of that year he was advanced
to the thirty-second degree in the Philadelphia Consistory.

In 1887 Mr. Hendel married Mary A. Faber, daughter of
John T. Faber and Savilla Miller, his wife, of Reading,
and they have two children : Raymond Harrison and Catha-
ine Marie.

JOSEPH EBERLY, whose death on Feb. 23, 1897.
removed one of the most prominent and influential
men of Lower Heidelberg township, Berks county,
resided on an attractive and productive farm of sixty
acres. He was born March 23. 1809, in Lower Heidel-
berg township, son of Christian and Christina (Flick-
inger) Eberly.

The Eberly family, which is of German descent,
was founded in this country by Peter Eberly, who
emigrated from Wittenberg, Germany, in the latter
part of the eighteenth century, and soon after land-
ing settled in Lower Heidelberg township, on the
farm now occupied by Peter Peifer, near Fritztown.

Peter Eberlv, grandfather of Joseph, was also a
farmer of Heidelberg township, and purchased 250
acres of land near Cushion Hill from pioneer Welsh
settlers. His wife, who was a Newcommer, of Lan-
caster county. Pa., accompanied her parents from Ger-
many when a child. Peter Eberly and his wife are
buried in a private cemetery on their property at Cush-
ion Hill, this burying ground being surrounded by
a three-foot wall, and they have rough sand stones,
on which there, are no inscriptions, for tombstones.
T'hey had six children, namely: Peter, who settled
in Lancaster county, had a grandson, Peter (resides at
Mohnton, Pa.); Michael was a farmer of Lancaster
county; Christian: Daniel lived on the farm now occu-
pied by Peter Peifer at Fritztown; one daughter
married a Mr. Hauschen (?), and located in Cumber-
land county; and a daughter of whom there is no
record.

Christian Eberly, father of Joseph, was born in
Lower Heidelberg townshi" in 1759, and died in ]827,
in his sixty-ninth year. He was a successful farmer
and owned two large properties, one of eighty acres
near Wernersville. In 1813 he built a stone house on
his farm near Montello. and here his death o'ccurred.
He conducted the Eberly mills for a number of years.
Mir. Eberly married Christina Flickinger, daughter of
Joseph Flickinger, of Lancaster county, and they had
these children: Elizabeth, who died unmarried at the
age of eighty-four years; Susan, who died unmarried.



aged fifty years; Samuel, who married Nancy Con-
rath and lived and died on the farm near Werners-
ville; Molly, who married Samuel Reish, of Cumru
township, and had two sons, Samuel and Isaac; Ca-
therine, who died at the age of eighteen years; and
Joseph.

■Joseph Eberly was a lifelong farmer, and owned
the tract of sixty acres, on which was situated the
Eberly sawmill, which later became a grist mill, and
was finally turned into a factory, being abandoned in
about 1901. Mr. Eberly was a well known and in-
fluential citizen, and had the respect and esteem of
all. He was a Republican in politics, and his sons
are now following his party principles. Mr. Eberly
was a member of St. John's Reformed Church, where
the family have a nice burial plot.

In 1837 Joseph Eberly was married to Martha
Sharman, born Jan. 22, 1815, who died Feb. 22, 1894,
aged seventy-nine years, one month, daughter of Hen-
ry and granddaughter of John Sharman. of Cumru
(now Spring) township. To Mr. and Mrs. Eberly
were born these children: Samuel, born Jan. 26, 1838;
Emanuel, born Feb. 21, 1840, a coachmaker at Fritz-
town, m. Mary Fisher, daughter of William Fisher,
and has a daughter, Catherine; Christian, born Aug.
3, 1842; Enoch, born Jan. 3, 1844; Eliza, born Aug.
27, 1846; Henry died aged nine years, ten months;
Joseph, born Jan. 29, 1852, died Jan. 23, 1907, aged
fifty-five years, m. Annie Wenrich; and William, a
carpenter, and deacon of the Reformed Church at
Sinking Spring, m. M. Alice Gromis, and has one son,
Wellington.

Samuel, Christian, Enoch and Miss ElizateEberly
are all unmarried, and reside together near Mtontello,
on the Lancaster road in Spring township. They are
highly esteemed in the community, and are in com-
fortable circumstances.

DAVID D. BABB, a highly esteemed citizen of
Lower Alsace township, Berks Co., Pa., who is en-
gaged in blacksmithing and operating a well-cultivated
truck farm, was born June 25, 1837, in Alsace (now
Lower Alsace) township, son of John and Mary (De
Hart) Babb.

John Babb. son of John, Sr., and grandfather of Dav-
id D., married and had the following children: Jesse,
who in early life was a farmer, removed to Reading
where he died aged seventy-eight years; Benjamin, a
tailor of Reading, where he died when eighty years
of age, married and left a family o.f children; John,
father of David D.; Sarah married Peter Fies, a wheel-
wright by trade, who kept the "Black Horse Hotel" for
many years, and they had five children — Rachel, Sarah,
Benjamin, Mahlon and Jerre; ana Rachel married Aug-
ustus Eidel, a farmer of Olej', where she died aged
seventy-five years.

John Babb, father of David D., who was a black-
smith by trade, conducted the "Centre Hotel" for many
years, and there his death occurred. He married Mary
De Hart, daughter of John De Hart, and to this
union there were born sixteen children, as follows:
David D.; Sarah, m. to Jacob Bauer, a farmer of near
Baumstown; Emma, m. to Henry Christian, a farmer
of Alsace township, whose death occurred in Read-
ing; Mary, m. to Richard Long, a cooper who died in
Reading; Elizabeth, who died in Reading, m. to Dallas
Leinbach; Savilla, who died unmarried in Reading;
Rose, m. to Daniel Reider, a brick layer who now lives
in Nebraska; Caroline, m. to Fred Heine, who resides
at Omaha, Nebr.; Daniel, a farmer of near Green
Tree. Cumru township, m. to Amanda, daughter of
Daniel Zieber; George, m. to Isabella Foulk, deceased;
James, a farmer who resides near the old homestead,
m. to Hettie, daughter of Jerre Fick; John, who was
killed at the second battle of Bull Run, during the Civil
war; William, who died young; Martha, m. to Thomas
•Keller, who works in a woolen mill and resides near
the Stony Creek Mills; Minerva, who married John



650



HISTORY OF BERKS COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



Fisher, deceased, and resides near Reading; Ida, m. to
Louis Kern, and residing near Reading.

David D. Babb was reared and educated in Alsace
(now Lower Alsace) township, and from the age of
sixteen years assisted his father in the blacksmith
shop. There he learned the trade, which he has fol-
lowed to the present time, also carrying on truck
farming. Mr. Babb was married to Miss Rebecca
Marberger, daughter of Samuel and Sarah (Hafer) Mar-
berger and she died Aug. 3, 1907, being interred at
Spies's Church cemetery. The following children were
born to Mr. and Mrs. Babb; Sarah Alice, born Feb.
3, 1862, m. William Ibach, and resides near Mt. Penn
in Lower Alsace township; John M.. born June 12,
1863, m. Sarah Keller; David M., born Aug. 5, 1867,
is single; Annie Rebecca, born June 15, 1869, m. John
Klemmer, and they reside with her father; Mary Ida,
born June 23, 1875, died Aug. 1, 1877; and Elmenda
M., born June 1, 1878, m. Samuel Long, and they
reside at St. Lawrence, Exeter township, where he
is a weaver in Brumbach's woolen mills. Mr. Babb
and his family are members of the Lutheran congre-
gation at Spies's Church.

CYRUS K. SPATZ, who is engaged in operating
his 108-acre farm in Muhlenberg township, Berks
county, one of the finest properties of the locality,
was born June 17, 1841, in Bern township, son of
Valentine and Elizabeth (Kaufifman) Spatz.

Valentine Spatz, who was a farmer in Bern town-
ship all of his life, died on his farm of 133 acres,
about one mile from Bern Church, at the age of sixty-
three S^ars, and his wife passed away when seventy-
three years of age. He was a member of the Reformed
Church, while she was a Lutheran, and both were
highly esteemed in the community in which they
spent so many years.' Mr. Spatz was a Democrat in
his political opinions, and was a school director for
some years in Bern township. Valentine Spatz and
his wife had children: Cyrus K, Jonathan, Levi, Lov-
ina, William, Elam, Amelia and Benjamin.

Cyrus K. Spatz was reared upon his father's farm
in Bern township, where he remained until twenty-
seven years of age, and at this time located in Muh-
lenberg township, where he has since resided. He
bought the John Barnhart' property of 108 acres, a fine,
fertile tract, upon which he built, at a cost of $4000,
a two-story brick dwelling, the brick for which were
manufactured in Leesport. This home, which is very
substantial in character and model in design is one
of the finest in Muhlenberg township.

In 1868 Mr. Spatz was married to Catharine Barn-
hart, daughter of John Barnhart, and to this union
there have been born five children: Irvin D. B. m.
Mary Shepp, and has three children, Mabel, Charles
and Laura; Wilson D. B. m. Bessie Huntsberger, and
has four children, Catherine, Warren, Emily and Eber;
Catherine m. H. P. Shafier, and has one child, Cath-
erine; Ella m. Howard Adam, and has one child,
Mary; and Florence is single. In religious belief Mr.
and Mrs. Spatz belong to the Reformed denomina-
tion, Mr. Spatz having been a deacon and elder in
the Hinnershitz Reformed Church for nearly thirty-
five years. He is a Democrat in politics, and for
twenty-seven years was a school director. Frater-
nally he is connected with Muhlenberg Castle, No.
373, K. G. E., Hyde Park, Pennsylvania.

JOHN S. ROTHERMEL, for many years propri-
etor of the "Farmers' Hotel." was one of the most
highly esteemed residents of l.iuhlenberg township,
and in his death, which occurred Feb. 32, 1902, the
county lost one of its most substantial citizens. Mr.
Rothermel was born Aug. 21, 1844, in Muhlenberg
township, son of Peter and Kate (Schaefler) Roth-
ermel.

Johannes Rothermel, grandfather of John S., was
born in AlSace township, Berks county, in 1766, and



his wife, Deborah DeTurk, in 1783 in Oley township.
Her father was a captain in the Revolutionary war.
To Johannes Rothermel and his wife were born: Jo-
hannes, Sarah, Catherine, Deborah, Peter, Mrs. Beaver
and Peter (2). In religious belief the family were
Baptists, in which faith Mr. Rothermel died April 30',
1826, and his wife in 1844.

Peter Rothermel, son of Johannes, married Kate
Schaefifer, and to them were born children as fol-
lows: Deborah m. Daniel Maurer, and had two chil-
dren, Mary and Katie; Catherine m. Levi Rotheberger,
and had one child, Deborah; John S.; and Peter m.
Mary Barnhardt, and had one child, William.

John S. Rothermel was educated in the public schools
of Muhlenberg township, and also took a course at
West Chester Academy, after which he worked on his
father's farm until his marriage. On July 6, 1863,
he enlisted for three months' service under Capt. Sam-
uel A. Haines in Company G, 42nd Pa. V. I., and
participated in the battle of Antietam, the balance
of his enlistment being spent in guard duty at Har-
risburg, his regiment guarding the bridge across the
Susquehanna river. After the war he returned home,
where he continued to work until his marriage, when
he removed to one of his father's farms, which he
operated as a tenant. Subsequently, Mr. Rothermel
located on the Gabriel Gehret farm of sixty acres,
where he carried on a butchering business for about
six years., this farm being located three and one-half
miles from Reading on the Centre pike, then known
as the Pottsville and Philadelphia pike. "The Farmers'
Hotel" on this oroperty is one of the oldest hotel
stands in this part of Berks county, and was carried
on by Gabriel Gehret's father, Jacob Gehret. Mr.
Rothermel applied for a license here after the hotel
had been closed for about twelve years, and after this
was granted by the county courts he opened the
hostelry, and until his death carried on farming and
hotel-keeping.

Mr. Rothermel was married to Catherine M. Gehret,
daughter of Gabriel and Mary (Maurer) Gehret, and
to this union there were born three children, namely:
Harrison, born Aug. 4, 1867, m. Kate Hahn, and had
one child, Edna; John B,, born Sept. 11, 1871, m. Alice
Fox, deceased, and had one child, May (died May
33, 18S6, aged ten days); and Amelia L, m. Howard
Schmeck, and had one child, Catherine. In religious
belief he was Reformed, and was a member of Hin-
nershitz Church, He was a Democrat in politics, hav-
ing been elected a number of times to the office of
school director. Fraternally Mr. Rothermel was con-
nected with Leesport Lodge, No. 144, I, O. O. F., his
wife being a member of the Rebekahs.

Mrs, Rothermel was a daughter of Gabriel Gehret,
and one of a family of four daughters, the other three
being: Amelia, m. to Daniel Baum; Ellen, m. to
Thomas Baum, brother of Daniel; and Adeline, m.
to Daniel Holtry, deceased.

SAMUEL BEARD, one of the oldest citizens of
Reading, Pa., and an honored veteran of the great
Civil war, was born in 1840, in Shoemakersville, Berks
county, son of Herman Beard and grandson of Samuel
Beard.

Samuel Beard, the grandfather, was for some years
engaged in the hotel business in Berks and Schuylkill
counties, being at one time proprietor of the well-
known hotel at Fifth and Washington streets, Read-
ing, now owned by Mr. H. Godfrey. He died at the
age of seventy-five years.

Herman Beard, son of Samuel, was born in Berks
county, and for a number of years was engaged in the
mercantile business at Shoemakersville, Berks county,
also conducting a hotel business at that place. Coming
tn Reading, Mr. Beard engaged in the hotel business
at Fifth and Washington streets, but later went to
Pottsville where he was in business for three years.
He later returned to Reading, where he died in 1882,



BIOGRAPHICAL



651



aged seventy-six years. He was a Mason of high
standing. Mr. Beard married Annetta Yerger, and their
children were: Samuel, Sallie and WilHam.

Samuel Beard attended the public schools of Read-
ing, after leaving which he learned the machinist's
trade, which he followed from 1854 to 1861, at which
time he enlisted in Company H, 25th Pa. V. I., for
three months service. After his discharge he veteran-
ized in Company I, 118th Pa. V. I., for three years,
and served with his regiment until he was wounded
in the battle of Antietam, Sept. 21, 1863, being shot
in the muscle of the right arm, from the eiiects of
which he has never fully recovered. On receiving
his honorable discharge he returned to Reading, and
tried to go to work at his trade, but his arm could
not stand the strain, and he secured a position as
clerk in a hotel at Pottsville, where he remained until
1881. Mr. Beard then went to Nebraska, and for
some time was employed in clerking there, but again
returned to Reading and engaged with the Reading
Iron Company, in the tube works department, where
he has been employed to the present time, some-
thing over twenty-five years of faithful service. M^
Beard resides at No. 414 Walnut street.

Mr. Beard married Helen S. Reed, daughter of Jacob
Reed, of Pottsville, Schuylkill county, and to this
union were born: George R., a printer of Philadel-
phia, m. Emma Skeen; William L., employed at the
tube works, is single and resides at home; Nellie, m.
Lewis Eastburn, of Reading; and Emma is at home.
Mr. Beard is a Republican in politics, and while a
resident of Schuylkill county, he assisted in taking
the census there. The family are members of the
Lutheran Church. Fraternally Mr. Beard is a M'ason,
and has been a member of Pulaski Lodge, No. 346,
Pottsville, since 1873.

CHARLES W. BECHTEL, general inspector of the
city of Reading, was born in that place, son of John
R. Bechtel, and grandson of David Bechtel. The lat-
ter was a farmer of Douglassville, Berks county.

John R. Bechtel was a real estate dealer and build-
er in Reading. He married Sophia Ringle, daughter
of Jacob Ringle, a boat builder of that same city,
and to this union were born seven children, namely:
Sarah, Mts. Stout; Susa^, at home; Minnie, wife of
George E. Miller, an employe at the city hall; Rena,
at home; George I., a clothier; Ernest V., who rep-
resents the Fourteenth ward in the common council;
and Charles W.

Charles W. Bechtel was born Jan. -25, 1856, and
after attending the public schools, completed his edu-
cation in Palatinate College, graduating with the class
of 1875. For two years he was in the grocery busi-
ness for himself, but at the end of that time he went
into his father's merchant tailoring establishment, then
the largest concern of its kind in Reading. He worked
for his father fifteen years, and for the next eight
years was employed at building for his father. He
finally gave up the building btisiness, as he was in
1900 appointed general inspector of all' city manufact-
uring plants, and as he fills the office with great effi-
ciency, he has been reappointed each succeeding year.

Mr. Bechtel was married July 4, 1880, to Miss Mina
Geho, daughter of Nicodemus Geho, shoe dealer at
Reading. One daughter has been born to them, Amy,
now the wife of Walter G. Taylor, an employe of
Dives, Pomeroy & Stewart.

In politics Mr. Bechtel is a Republican, and is an
active worker for his party, which in turn has made
him its representative in various official positions. He
was a member of the common council from the Four-
teenth ward in 1888-89-90, and was also ward assessor
for twelve years. He has been chairman of the Sixth
ward for some time, is frequently a delegate to Re-
publican conventions, and holds a prominent place on
the board of public works. Fraternally Mr. Bechtel be-



longs to the B. P. O. E., and in religion he is a member

of the Memorial Reformed Church.

JOHN C. PRINTZ, who for many years was a
pattern-maker and member of the firm of Davis &
Printz, on Ninth, below Bingaman street, was born
in 1839, in Bradford county, Pa., son of Rev. George
Printz, a minister of the Presbyterian Church.

John C. Prentz was . married in 1867 to Lavinia
Espenshade, daughter of Henry F. and Louisa (Lea-
man) Espenshade, an old and honorable Pennsylvania
Mennonite family. Mr. Espenshade was for many
years a tanner on Cherry, below Fifth, street, Reading,
and was well and favorably known in that part of the
city. He and his wife had these children: Lemuel,
a soldier in the Civil war, was wounded in battle
and died at a hospital; Daniel F. is deceased; and
Lavinia C. m. Mr. Printz.

Mrs. Printz survives her husband, and lives in the
home built by him. To Mr. and Mrs. Printz were
born the following children: Henry G., who is a
pattern maker, m. a Miss Gantz; Etta L. m. Edward
Yeager; Ella m. Frank G. Dietrich, a teacher; Mabel
m. Jeremiah Romig, a conductor in the employ of the
United Traction Company's System; Paul is a molder;
Martha m. Gustavus Abraham, a hatter; Fred, un-
rnarried, is in the United States Navy; and Charles
died at the age of nine years.

John C. Printz was known to be a man of honor
and integrity, and was much esteemed by his ac-
quaintances for his manv sterling characteristics. He
was patriotic and public-spirited, and was considered
a representative citizen of Reading. His fraternal con-
nections were with Montgomery Lodge of the Odd
Fellows, of Reading; Knights of Pythias; Knights of
Malta; and Friendship Fire Company.

DAVID CLOySER,'in his lifetime one of Reading's
highly esteemed citizens, was born in Oley tow'nship,
Berks Co., Pa., March 5, 1827, son of Abraham
Clouser.

Abraham Clouser was a miller by trade, who followed
that occupation in Oley township throughout his life.
To him and his wife, whose maiden name was H;ert,
were born children as follows: David, John, an agri-
culturist of Ashland, Ohio; Sarah, m. to the Rev. Sam-
uel Momberger; Maria, m. to Lewis Saxon; and Ma-
linda, m. to the late Frank Candle, and residing in
Reading.

David Clouser secured his early educational train-
ing in the pay schools of Oley township, and at an early
age began to learn the carpenter's trade. ' In 1854
he came to Reading, working at his trade in the city
for a period of thirty-five years. He first was em-
ployed in the Philadelphia & Reading shops, and later
with different contractors, at house carpentering, and
was considered a skilled and faithful workman. He
erected his late home at No. 323 North Eighth street,
Reading, in 1857, and resided there until his death
March 5, 1907. His remains were interred at Alsace
church.

Mr. Clouser married Sophia Kline, daughter of Hen-
ry Kline. She died Oct. 5, 1905, and was buried at
the Berks County Alsace Church. Of the seven child-
ren born to Mr. and Mrs. Clouser, only two are liv-
ing: David K., who is a machinist at the Philadel-
phia & Reading shops, Reading, and now living at the
home No. 323 North Eighth street; and Irwin, boss
of the air brakes at the Philadelphia & Reading shops,



Online LibraryMorton L. (Morton Luther) MontgomeryHistorical and biographical annals of Berks County, Pennsylvania, embracing a concise history of the county and a genealogical and biographical record of representative families, comp. by Morton L. Montgomery .. → online text (page 184 of 227)