Morton L. (Morton Luther) Montgomery.

Historical and biographical annals of Berks County, Pennsylvania, embracing a concise history of the county and a genealogical and biographical record of representative families, comp. by Morton L. Montgomery .. online

. (page 185 of 227)
Online LibraryMorton L. (Morton Luther) MontgomeryHistorical and biographical annals of Berks County, Pennsylvania, embracing a concise history of the county and a genealogical and biographical record of representative families, comp. by Morton L. Montgomery .. → online text (page 185 of 227)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


Reading. In his political behef Mr. Clouser was a
Democrat, but although he took a deep interest in
the success of that party, never cared for public
office. He was a Lutheran in his religious belief.

ALTHOUSE. The first of the Althouse family
to come to America was George Althouse, born May
5, 1744, in Wittenstein (Grafschaft) Germany, and died
Feb. 7, 1811. He married Maria Barbara Herbein (born



653



HISTORY OF BERKS COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



March 21, 1741, died March 33, 1822), and among their
children was a son, Peter.

Peter Althouse, born Feb. 3. 1775, died March 5,
1839. He married Catherine Schaeffer, born Oct'. 2,
1775, who died Aug. 26, 1826. Their children were:
George, born in 1803, died Jan. 6, 1866; Susan m.
Christian Leinbach; and Samuel.

Samuel Althouse m. Mary Ann Zacharias, and they
had three sons and one daughter: George, born Jan. 15,
1841. died May 39, 1861; John Z., born May 28, 1843',
died June 27, 1879; Catherine, born in August, 1844,
died Jan. 4. 1865; and Samuel, born Oct. 14, 1847, died
Nov. 23, 1848. The father of these children died in
January, 1849, and the mother Oct. 4, 1865.

John Z. Althouse was born on the property now
owned by his widow, near Epier's Church, in Bern
township, which was settled by the pioneer of the
family in this section. After his marriage Mr. Alt-
house located in Reading in the home now occupied by
his widow, and here resided until his death. He also
owned much property in Riverside, a portion of which
was donated by his widow to the Olivet Reformed
Church, and was a stockholder and one of the organiz-
ers of the Berks & Lehigh Railroad.

On March 5, 1868, Mr. Althouse was married to De-
borah R. Eppler, daughter of Jared and Deborah
(Rothermel) Eppler. and to this union were born six
children: Jennie; Mary; Emily, deceased; Samuel, m.
to Caroline Shomo, and father of two children — Dor-
othy and Josephine; George, who died young; and an
infant.

HENRY A. COLLINS, a substantial business man
of Robeson township, Berks county, who is the pro-
prietor of the Seideltown Grist and Flouring Mill, was
born March 12, 1864, in Topton, Berks county, son
of James and Mary (Albright) Collins.

James Collins, father of Henry A., who was a fore-
man on the Philadelphia & Reading Railroad, while
engaged in construction work on that road was killed
in 1864, and was buried at Reading. He was a mem-
ber of the Lutheran Church. He and his estimable
wife were the parents of these children: Daniel; Clara;
Ida, who married Oliver Grubb and had two children,
Charles and George; Andrew J.; Curtin and Henry
A., the first three named now deceased. Mrs. Col-
lins was married (second) to Amos Weinpelt, whom
she bore three children, namely: Howard, Amos and
Mary A.

Henry A. Collins was educated in the public schools
of Robeson township and the city of Reading, an-d
after leaving the latter secured employment on the
farm of Milton Geiger. of Geigertown, with whom
he continued as a laborer for two years. He then en-
tered the employ of the Seyferts, at Gibraltar, con-
tinuing in the iron works for twenty-three years, the
major portion of which time he acted in the important
capacity of heater. Being industrious and thrifty,
Mr. Collins accumulated enough to go into business
on his own account, and in 1904 he purchased the
William H. Kirling mill, at Seideltown, a ninety-three
acre tract consisting of farm and timberland, where
he has since made many improvements. He has al-
ways been enterprising and hard-working, and is
deserving of the success which has come to him.
Honest and upright in all of his dealings, Mr. Collins
has gained an enviable reputation for integrity, and has
the esteem and respect of all who know him. In
politics he is a stanch Republican, and takes a great
interest in the success of his party, although he has
never sought public preferment. Fraternally he is
connected with Washington Canip, No. 298, P. O. S.
o£ A. In religious belief he is a Lutheran, while
Mrs. Collins is a member of the Reformed Church.

Mr._ Collins was married in 1887 to Anna M. Hafer,
and eight children have been born to this union, as
follows: Penrose, Paul, Harry, Herbert,, Mark L.,
James, Margaret A. and Mary L.



ABRAHAM F. REESER, now living retired from
active business life, at No. 217 South Fourth street,
Reading, Pa., was born in Bern township. Berks Co.,
Pa., July 36, 1835, son of Abraham S. and Annie
(Feather) Reeser, and grandson of John Reeser.

The great-grandfather of Abraham F., also named
John, emigrated from Bern, Switzerland, to Bern town-
ship, Berks county, at an early date, and there took up
a large tract of land from William Penn. Here he
settled and made many improvements, engaging in ag-
ricultural pursuits for the remainder of his life. Ab-
raham S. Reeser, father of Abraham F., was educated
in the schools of Bern township, and like his forefath-
ers engaged in farming. He was independent in polit-
ical matters. Mr. Reeser was a very generous man
and gave liberally of his means to any church or
charitable institution. He and his wife were the par-
ents of these children: Sarah, Catherine, John, Abraham
F. and William. The family were members of the
Reformed Church.

Abraham F. Reeser was educated in the common
schools of Bern township, but subsequently attended
Irvin Academy and still later Lee's school. He then
accepted a position with Rhoads & Son as clerk, in
their grocery establishment, which was located in
th^ old jail. Fifth street and Washington, the firtn also
operating a shoe and liquor store in connection with their
grocery, as was the custom in those days. Mr. Reeser
remained with Rhoads & Son for several years, when
he went to Philadelphia, and there he engaged in
the provision business until 1862, when he sold out
to William H. Wanamaker, and returned to Reading.
After engaging in the lightning rod business for three
years, Mr. Reeser engaged in the store business in
Reading, opening the Eagle Shoe Store on Penn
street, which he conducted five years, and then sold
out to engage in the real estate business, which he
has continued to the present time. Mr. Reeser built
the first house in West Reading, opened the first
street there, and inaugurated the water system. He
also purchased a plot of land and laid out Woodvale,
owning at present there about 500 lots, as well as
Woodvale Mansion, a summer hotel and one of the
finest health resorts in this section of Pennsylvania.
He built the Black Bear road, known as the East
Reading Railroad, the first mile of the Gravity Rail-
road, and all the drives on Heversink Mountain. He
has always been active in any movement for the up-
building of his locality, especially in the way of real
estate improvements, erecting many buildings in Read-
ing proper, West 'Reading and Woodvale (or what
is now Mt. Penn).

In politics Mr. Reeser is a Republican, and he served
as assessor three years. He is a member of the Re-
formed Church. Fraternally he belongs to St. John's
Lodge No. 435, F. & A. M.

On the maternal side Mr. Reeser is of Prussian
and French Huguenot stock. Peter Feather, his
grandfather, was born in Berks county, and he owned
and operated the "American House" in Reading. He
was very public spirited and progressive. His wife
was a Miss Levan.

MATHIAS. The Mathias family in Berks county,
Pa., is of German origin, the first of the name to
come to America being

d) Philip Mattes (as he spelled his name in his
will). His will was made Nov. 4, 1792, and probated
Feb. 26, 1793 (See Will Book B, page 331.) His death
occurred in Earl township. The name Mathias is vari-
ously spelled. In the tax list of Earl township, in
1782, It IS recorded as Philip Mathew, and in other
legal documents it is spelled Matthis, Mattis and Mad-
des. Philip Mattes owned considerable property, and
at his death gave two of his daughters, Elizabech
and Maria Catharine, fifty pounds in money His ^on
Philip and trusty friend, John Houck, were the exec-
utors. His children mentioned in the will were: Eliz-



BIOGRAPHICAL



653



abeth, Philip, Jacob, Stephen, Maria Catharine, Bar-
bara and Eva Rosina.

(II) Jacob Mathias, son of Philip, lived in Earl
township, where he obtained fifty acres of land from
a man named li^iager for a bowl of punch. At this
time not all the land in the district had been taken
up. This tract is now owned by Jacob S. Mathias.
Jacob Mathias. married a Miss Heater, and they are
buried at Hill Church. He died in 1835, and his will
is recorded in Book C, p. 346. In it are mentioned
sons Johannes, David, William and Jacob, and daugh-
ters Christina (m. Adam Diener), Betzy (m. George
Moser), Polly (m. John Emes and second, James
Ernes), Catharine (m. Henry Emes), and Sallie (m.
John Reider). The son Jacob and Michael Motz were
the executors of the will.

(II) Philip Mathias (3), son of Philip the ancestor,
was born in Amity township, and died in 1801, and
is buried at Amityville. He was a member of the
German Reformed Church. His will made May 15,
1801, was probated the 37th of the following June.
He married Mary Swavely, who survived him many
years, and she is buried at Oley churches. Five chil-
dren are mentioned in his will, namely: Philip, Jacob,
who was for thirty years an invalid; Elizabeth; Dan-
iel; and Abraham, a farmer in Colebrookdale town-
ship, whose children were William H., Jonathan, Abra-
ham, Mrs. Jonathan Houck, Mrs. Philip Snyder and
Mrs. Heflner.

(III) Daniel Mathias, son of Philip (2), was born
in Amity township, but in early life moved to Earl.
He was a farmer, and cleared land, selling the timber
to the forges. He owned a seventy-acre farm in Ear!
township, which later became the property of his son,
Daniel, and remained in the Mathias name until 1908,
when Daniel Mathias's grandson, Daniel Cleaver, pur-
chased it. Daniel Mathias was very successful in
his work, and showed himself a man of remarkable
ability. He was a Democrat, an8 gave his services
to his district as school director being greatly inter-
ested in educational matters. He was an official in
the Oley Reformed Church. With his wife he is buried
in the cemetery at Oley. He married Elizabeth
Spohn, daughter of Casper Spohn, a Hessian soMicr
who remained in Berks county after the Revolution.
Their children were: Anna, deceased, who married
George Drumheller, deceased, and lived in Earl town-
ship; Philip S.; Enoch, first. a farmer in Earl, then a
merchant in (jilbertsville, and finally a resident of
Reading where he died; Mary, who married Elam
Guldin, a man of adventurous spirit, who served in
both the Mexican and the Civil wars; Jacob, who lived
at Conshohocken, Pa. ; Hiram, a merchant at Earl-
ville; Daniel, who lived on the homestead many years,
and later moved to his present home near Pleasant-
ville; and Mahlon, who died aged nineteen years.

(IV) Philip S. Mathias, son of Daniel, was Viorn
in Earl township in 1825, and he died Feb. 26, 1869.
He was an early school teacher in Earl township,
teaching in all sixteen terms in one district. He
owned a 20-acre tract in Earl township, and there
his death occurred, and his remains were interred at
Oley church, of which he was an official member. In
politics he was a Democrat. He belonged to the Odd

Fellows at Pleasantville. He married Mary Mathias,
born April 17, 1826, daughter of Jacob and Hannah
(Motz) Mathias. a distant relative. She now lives
at Shanesville, with her daughter. Miss Sarah E. Math-
ias. To Philip S. and Mary (Mathias) Mathias were
born the following children: Miss Sarah E.; Morris
M.; Hannah, m. to Edward Clemens, of Ambler, Pa.;
and Ada, m. to Edwin H. Weller, of Shanesville.

(V) Morris M. Mathias, son of Philip S., re-
ceived his early education in the schools of Earl town-
ship, and later attended the Kallynean Academy, at
Boyertown. In 1873 he was licensed to teach by the
late Prof. D. B. Brunner, and he taught three terms
in Pine Grove school in his native township. Later



he taught four terms in the Pleasantville Independent
district in Oley, and then two terms in Shanesville.
He was successful both as an instructor and as a
disciplinarian, and attained a high place among Berks
county educators. In 1877 he began farming on the
Aaron Weller farm near Shanesville, and this farm
became his by purchase in 1885. It contains seventy
acres of rich land, and he carried on farming here until
the spring of 1908, when he was succeeded by his
son, J. M. W. Mathias. In 1907 he built an addition
to the house, and greatly improved the property; the
excellent condition of the entire place shows his good
management. He also owns several tracts of wood-
land, one in Earl township, and one in Pike._ He is
an aggressive citizen, intelligent and progressive, and
he is keenly interested in the development of his
community. In 1883, when but twenty-eight, years of
age he was elected justice of the peace, and has been
re-elected continuously since, his present term extend-
ing to May 6, 1913. He has settled many disputes,
and has many times kept friends and neighbors out
of court, being in reality the peace maker of the dis-
trict. He has served as clerk at many sales, as ad-
ministrator of estates, and also as executor, and has
been made guardian of a number of children. He is
an agent of the Boyertown Fire Insurance Company,
and has been since 1893. For six years he was auditor
of the township. He and his family are members
of Oley Reformed Church, of which he was deacon
and later elder, and he is secretary of the Oley Ceme-
tery Company.

On Sept. 35, 1875, Mr. Mathias was married to Mary
Ann D. Weller, daughter of Aaron and Sarah (Dot-
terer) Weller. Their children were: Sarah, who
died in infancy; Olivia W., at home; Warren W., a
farmer in Oley township, near Pleasantville, m. to
Willi De Turck. daughter of Daniel De Turck, of
Oley, and has children M. Daniel, Mary M., Olivia
May and Jr-hilip Curtis; Morris W., a graduate of the
Keystone State Normal School, class of 1903, and now
engaged in teaching in Earl township, m. to Alice
Clauser, daughter of Henfy Clauser, and has chil-
dren Stanly, Helen and Ralph; J. M. W., a farmer
on the homestead, m. to Katie Dry, daughter of Sam-
uel IDry, and has. children — Leroy, Mabel and Annie;
and Lawrence W., a farmer in Oley, organist of the
Oley Union Sunday-school, and formerly a teacher
of music, m. to Ella Fisher, daughter of Daniel D.
Fisher, and has one son, Russell.

HENRY S. GOTTSCHALL, one of the represen-
tative farmers of Berks county. Pa., who is engaged
in cultivating his fine property in Alsace township,
was born June 33, 1839', in Alsace township, son of
Daniel and Hannah (Schildt) Gottschall.

George Gottschall, grandfather of Henry S,, was a
son of John Gottschall and wife (nee Keller), He
married Susan Croninger, by whom he had these
children: Daniel; Elizabeth, m, to John Neukirk; Sa-
rah, m. to John Holdrie, of Indiana; Ella, m, to John
Schildt, of Alsace township; Elana, m. to William
Delp; Rachel, m. to Samuel Heller; Leonard, m. to
Mrs. Magdalena (Fox) Keener; George, m. to Mrs.
Elizabeth CDelp) Butterweck; and John, m. to El-
mina Schwoyer.

Daniel Gottschall, father of Henry S., was a farm-
er of Alsace township, where he spent his entire
life. He was married to Hannah Schildt, and to them
these children were born: Lovina, m. to Amos Hoy-
er: Henry S.; Sarah, m:. to Daniel Bingaman; Daniel,
who died young; and Jacob, who also died in youth.

Henry S. Gottschall received his educational train-
ing in the commion schools of his native tow'nship, and
he has always been engaged in farming. His pres-
ent fine property, situated near Seidel's blacksmith
shop in Alsace township, is cultivated by the most
modern methods and machinery and presents an ex-
cellent appearance. He is a stanch Republican in poll-



(;54 HISTORY OF BERKS COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA

tics and his first vote was cast for Abraham Lincoln (ni. John S. Hartzell of AUentown), Emma (died m

in 1864 With his family Mr. Gottschall attends Spies's mfancy), Jacob W. (whose only child, Anna ^., is

Church of the Lutheran faith. , ^^"^^^7, °.L ^^f '^^A'^ Reunion Association), Albert

On June 23 1860, Mr. Gottschall was married to P., R. Matilda (m. Charles Appel, of AUentown) and

Miss L Heist and to this union there have been born Anna M. (m. Lewis Shankweiler, of AUentown) ; ana

children as follows: Rose m. Philip Hauck, and has Henrietta K., who marri ed Jes se Klme.
three children, Harry, Willie and Earl; Mary m. James j v c

Klopp and has two children, Ella and Anna; Mil- .Heinnch Grim, great-grandfather of Moses K., of

ton m and has eight children Allen m.' Alice Zieber, Maxatawny township was born m Maxatawny to^yn-

and has two children, Edna and Annie; John; Annie ship m 1733, and he died upon his farm near Bowers

m John N^°l; Maggie (Lovie) m. Samuel Sitchel. Station in 1804. He owned he old Grim homestead

m. juiui iiuii, i SB V. / ^^^ squares from Bowers Station, on which is the old

GRIM. In Weisenburg township, Northampton (now mill — one of the land marks of the township.. Hein-

Lehigh) county. Pa., in 1738 located Johan Egidius rich Grim was a farmer and miller. He married Ger-

Grimm (or Grim), who came to this Commonwealth trude Trexler, and they had children: Absalom; Gid-

with that noted pioneer minister of the Lutheran eon (1760-1833); Jonathan; Daniel; Reuben; Solomon;

Church, John Casper Stoever. The Grim family home Ann; and Polly.

was in Normandy and the lineage is traced back to Solomon Grim, son of Heinrich and Gertrude (Trex-
a Baron there in the time of William the. Conquerer. ler), was a successful farmer and miller in Rockland
One branch of the family went to Alsace, whence came township, where he died in 1815. He married Leah
Johan Egidius (also known as Gitti and Gideon). It Kline, daughter of David Kline, the owner of much
appears that he later settled in Maxatawny, Berks valuable propertv in Maxatawny. They had two child-
county, where he secured a large tract of land. He ren, Reuben, and a daughter that died in childhood,
built a substantial house, where other settlers fre- Reuben Grim, son of Solomon and Leah (Kline),
quently sought refuge in times of Indian disturbances, was born on his father's farm in Rockland township.
Most of his descendants are members of the Lutheran March 7, 1816. For many years he conducted the
Church, and two of his sons served in the war of the mill in connection with farming, continuing this double
Revolution. The will of "Gitti, alias Gideon," Grim occupation until 1866. He was very successful, and be-
was made Jan. 28, 1760. and was probated Oct. 1, came the owner of three farms. In 1867 he moved
1761, when Jacob and Henry Grim, his sons, were to Maxatawny township to the farm now occupied by
appointed as executors. In this will he gave his his son Moses K. He was a man of influence and
land to his sons Jacob and Henry; fifty pounds to was a prominent worker in the Lutheran Church at
his daughter Cattarina; fifty pounds to his daughter Lyons. He died Dec. 30, 1897. He married Diana
Elizabeth (m. Casper Merkel); thirty pounds to Frantz Kutz, daughter of Daniel Kutz. of Maxatawny, and
Roth, "son of my daughter Margreth." their children were: William; Solomon; Dewald, who
(II) Henry Grim, son of Gitti, married and had died aged two years; Moses K.; Amanda, m. to An-
three children: Jacob; Jonathan, ancestor of Daniel thony Dengler, now of Michigan; Louisa, m. to the
P. Grim, of Kutztown; Gideon. late Daniel Gaby; and Eliza, who died aged seven

(II) Jacob Grim, son of Gitti, married and had a son years.

Henry, born March 16, 1756. who died April 3, 1839, MosES K. Grim, son of Reuben and Diana (Kutz),

aged seventy-three years, and eighteen days, the father was born in Rockland township, May 8, 1845, and is

of five children — Rachel, Jonas, Abraham, Solomon now a prominent and successful farmer, located near

and David. Bowers Station, in Maxatawny township. His early

(III) Jacob Grim, son of Henry, 'was born June training was along agricultural lines, and when he
17, 1754. On Nov. 2, 1779, he married Catharina Hot- started out for himself in 1873, it was on the same farm
tenstein, and he died June 34. 1833, aged seventy-nine on which he now resides. This consists of 110 acres,
years, seven days. Both he and his wife are buried and Mr. Grim has been its owner since 1896. He is
on the farm in Maxatawny township, now owned by a man of much business capacity, and is possessed of
Mrs. Cecilia (Grim) Butz, of AUentown. This ad- more than ordinary intelligence, and is greatly es-
joins the old homestead farm. To Jacob and his wife teemed in his locality.- In his political affiliations he
were born eleven children, namely: Jesse; David; is a Republican, and from 1900 to 1903 served his
Henry, who died in Philadelphia unmarried; Sem; Dan- township (which is nominally Democratic) on the
iel, who died in infancy; Nathaniel, who died in in- school Ijoard, being that board's president for one
fancy; a son that died in infancy unnamed; Sarah, m. year, and for some time its treasurer. With his fam-
to John Bailey; Judith, m. to John Appel; Catharina, ily he belongs to Trinity Evangelical Lutheran Church
who died in infancy; and one whose name is nor at Bowers. For a number of years they worshipped at
known. St. Paul's Lutheran Church, at Lyons, where his father,

(IV) Jesse Grim, son of Jacob and Catharina (Hot- Reuben, was an official.

tenstein), had six children: Jacob, father of Mrs. Cecilia In 1873 Mr. Moses K. Grim was married to Miss

Grim Butz, of AUentown; Walter J.; Ephraim; De- Emma C. Weiser. daughter of Elijah and Esther

borah; William and Allen. (Bieber) Weiser. Seven children were born of this

(IV) Sem Grim, son of Jacob and Catharina (Hot- union, namely: Jacob, born March 8, 1876; Louisa E.,

tenstein), married Anna Kline, and had five children: June 30, 1878; William G,, April 25, 1881; Walter B.,

Dr. Henry; Isabella, m. to the Rev. A. J. Herman; Nov. 4, 1883; Ida May, March 7, 1886; Julius H., July

Catharine, m. to Prof. Davis Garber; Louise and Os- 2, 1888; and John E., April 2, 1890.

car Sem, all of AUentown.

(IV) David Grim, son of Jacob and Catharina (Hot- Gideon Grim, son of Heinrich and Gertrude (Trex-

tenstein), was born April 12, 1787. He died Oct. 12. ler), was born in Maxatawny township in 1760, and

1838, and was buried in the cemetery on the farm died in 1823, an extensive and prosperous farmer,

owned by Mrs. Cecilia G. Butz. His five children His wife,- Elizabeth Kirby, was of English extraction,

were: Seth K., who had two daughters, Mary (m. She bore him five sons and two daughters, as follows:

William Kline, of Rothrocksville) and Catharina (m. David, Nathan, Gideon, Benjamin, Joshua. Hannah

Daniel P. Grim, of Kutztown); Daniel K. ; David K., and Dinah.

who had four children, Henry, George, Mary A. (m. Gideon Grim, son of Gideon and Elizabeth (Kirby),
William Miller, of Philadelphia), and Anna (m. a was born in Maxatawny township, Aug. 31, 1792, and
Mr. Bunker) ; Peter K., who married Elizabeth K. died in Colebrookdale township, April 27, 1848. He
Mosser, and had nine children, David, Mary (m. Wil- married Esther Krouse, and they had two sons. Wil-
liam J. Frederick, of Reading), Catharine, Amanda Ham K.; and Levi, who died when eighteen years old.



BIOGRAPHICAL



655



William K. Grim, son of Gideon and Esther (Krouse),
was born in Exeter township, May 28, 1825, and was
one of the substantial and representative men of Boy-
ertown. In his youth he learned the tanning trade,
and this he followed successfully until 1874, In 1872
he moved to Boyertown, and there helped to organize
the National Bank, He was also one of the organizers
of the Farmers' National Bank of the same town. He
was interested in the Colebrookdale Iron Company, of
Pcttstown, a large chartered corporation doing busi-
ness since 1835_. He was very level headed in business
matters, and his judgment was frequfently accepted as
final. In 1853 he married Loretta B, Rhoads, daughter
of John and Catharine (Boyer) Rhoads, and they have
four children: Mahala, at home; Sallie, wife of Frank
Sebold; William R., a bank cashier at Texarkana, Tex-
as: and Kate, at home.



Jonathan Grim, son of Heinrich and Gertrude (Trex-
ler), was a tanner in Maxatawny township, where he
lived for many years. His later years were passed in
Kutztown. He married (first) Catharine H. Bert-
olett, and by her had one son, Daniel B., born July
17, 1800. He m. (second) a Miss Snyder, and they



Online LibraryMorton L. (Morton Luther) MontgomeryHistorical and biographical annals of Berks County, Pennsylvania, embracing a concise history of the county and a genealogical and biographical record of representative families, comp. by Morton L. Montgomery .. → online text (page 185 of 227)