Morton L. (Morton Luther) Montgomery.

Historical and biographical annals of Berks County, Pennsylvania, embracing a concise history of the county and a genealogical and biographical record of representative families, comp. by Morton L. Montgomery .. online

. (page 188 of 227)
Online LibraryMorton L. (Morton Luther) MontgomeryHistorical and biographical annals of Berks County, Pennsylvania, embracing a concise history of the county and a genealogical and biographical record of representative families, comp. by Morton L. Montgomery .. → online text (page 188 of 227)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


former business of cabinet making and undertaking,
and continued it until 1887. He then lived retired
for two years, his son Daniel conducting the business,
but in 1889 the latter moved to Rockland township,
and Capt. Reed resumed the undertaking, carrying it
on until 1904. In 1888 he began conducting a steam
double press cider mill, and during the season does
a good business in that line. In 1908 he attached to
his mill a forty-horse-power boiler, for making apple
butter.

On April 20, 1861, Capt. Reed enlisted as a private
in Company D, 7th Pa. V. I. for the three-months
service. In 1862 he was drafted, and became captain
of Company K, 167th Pa. V. I., a nine months regi-
ment, and was mustered out at Reading Aug. 12, 1863.

In 1860 Captain Reed was married to Elizabeth
Sharadin, daughter of Abraham and Elizabeth (Kieff-
er) Sharadin, and they have been blessed with five
children, namely: James M.; Charles A.; George E.;
Daniel P.; and Emma E. m. to Percival KoUer, of
Fleetwood, Pa. In his political affiliations the Cap-
tain is an unswerving Republican,' and is always inter-
ested in the public affairs of his town. In 1908 he
was elected supervisor of his township, by over one
hundred majority. He is well known and is very popu-
lar with all classes.

DAVID H. HAIN, M. D., a well-known physician
in Penn township, who has been engaged in the prac-
tice of his profession at Obold, Pa., for more than
twenty-five years, and. is said to nave the largest prac-
tice of any country doctor in Berks county, was born
May 12, 1861, in Lower Heidelberg township, son of
Frederick and Sarah Hain.

Frederick Hain was born Nov. 22, 1822, in Lower
Heidelberg township, where his entire life was spent
in agricultural pursuits. He died April 23, 1875. He
married Sarah Hain, and to them were born these
children: John, who died in Lower Heidelberg town-
ship; Eva. m. to Henry B. Werner; Henry, living at
Wernersville; Emma, m. to Jacob Huyett, of Frank-
lin Grove, Lee Co., III.; Mary, m. to William K. Lud-
wig, of Wernersville; and Dr. David H.

Dr. Hain secured his primary education in the pub-
lic schools of Wernersville, and later he attended
Palatinate College at Myerstown, and Prof. D. B. Brun-
ner's Business College at Reading. Then he became
a student at the Jefferson Medical College, Philadel-
phia, and graduated from that institution in 1881. On
March 1, 1882, he located at Obold, where he has built
up a very large country practice.



Dr. Hain married Sallie A. Fisher, daughter of Reiley
Fisher, and to this union there have been born three
children : Edna, a graduate of the Keystone State
Normal School, class of 1902, now teaching at Wer-
nersville; Raymond, a graduate of the same institu-
tion, now a senior at Bucknell College; and Stella,
a member of Class of 1910, at the Normal School at
Kutztown.

GOTLEIB BOYER (deceased) will be remembered
by the people of the city of Reading, as the leading
florist of his day, his stand being in Kissinger's Mar-
ket. Mr. Boyer was born in 1824, in Stuttgart, Ger-
many, came to America when a young man, and passed
away at Reading in 1899.

On first locating in this country, Mr. Boyer set-
tled in Lancaster county, his last residence there being
at Ephrata, where he remained for five years. Ht
then located in Reading, where he soon established
himself as a florist and gardener, at one time operating
three greenhouses. He was considered the leading
gardener and florist of his day in the city, although
at the time of his death he was conducting, but one
place of business, the old Kissinger Market stand.
Mr. Boyer was a true type of the self-made man. On
coming to this country he was a poor, friendless boy,
knowing little of the language and less of the business
methods in use, yet at the time of his death he left
a large and valuable estate to his widow and children.
Mr. Boyer was a member of the Lutheran Church,
and a Democrat in politics.

In 1861 Mr. Boyer married Miss Rosina Linsen-
meyer, also a native of Germany, and to them were
born five children, namely: George, born April 12,
1862, of Reading; Anna, m. to Ellsworth Swoyer, of
Hoboken, N. J.; Charles, a farmer, of Muhlenberg
township, and two girls, who died young.

DR. J. E. KURTZ, one of the most, prominent
physicians of Reading, belongs to a family noted for
its ^members who have followed the "healing art,"
his* father, Dr. Samuel L. Kurtz, being one of the
best known physicians in Reading, and his brother.
Dr. Clarence Morgan Kurtz, being another of the
skilled medical men of that city.

The maternal ancestors of Dr. J. E. Kurtz came
from Wales to America in 1661, and his paternal an-
cestors were natives of Darmstadt, Germany, who came
to this country at various periods ranging from 1727
to 1745, settUng in Chester county. Pa., where they
followed agricultural pursuits.

Dr. Samuel L. Kurtz married Sarah Morgan, daugh-
ter of John Morgan, of Phoenixville, Chester county,
whose _ farm embraced all of the land upon which
Phoenixville now stands. Three children were born
to this union: Clarence Morgan Kurtz, M. D., of
Reading; Georgine, m. to Nicholas Muhlenberg, a
chemist; and Dr. J. E.

Dr. J. E. Kurtz was born Oct. 15, 1856, at Oakland
Mills, Juniata Co., Pa. He was educated in the Read-
ing high school, and at Trinity College, Hartford,
Conn., from which he graduated in 1877 with the de-
gree of A. B. (the degree of A. M. being later con-
ferred upon him), and at JeflFerson Medical College,
from which he was graduated March 13, 1880. Since
this time the Doctor has been practising his profession
in Reading. For a time he followed a general practice,
but for many years he has made a specialty of the eye,
ear, nose and throat, and in this he has been eminently
successful.

Dr. Kurtz was married Oct. 3, 1888, to Mary E.
Shoemaker, daughter of Dr. Charles E. Shoemaker,
a prominent physician of Reading who died in
1890. Two children were born to this union-
Georgine and Francina, both at school. Dr. Kurtz"
is a member of the Reading (City) Medical Society
of the Berks County Medical Society, the Pennsyl-
vania State Medical Society, and the American Medi-



663



HISTORY OF BERKS COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



cal Association, and has time and again been a delegate
to the State and National bodies.

FRANK S. LIVINGOOD is a descendant of one of
the early German settlers of Berks county. Though
originally Swiss the Loewenguths .or Leibundguts emi-
grated to this country from Alsace where they had
lived for over seventy years in the town of Schalken-
dorf near Strassburg. Mr. Livingood's ancestor, John
Jacob Loewenguth, arrived in New York in 1708, and
after residing for a number of years in Schoharie coun-
ty, migrated to and settled in Tulpehocken township,
Berks county, in 1727. In April, 1758, he and his wife
were killed by the Indians and their two daughters
taken captive. A son, Jacob, escaped the massaci'e.
From him was descended John Bricker Levengood,
the grandfather of the subject of this sketch, who was
a practicing physician at Womelsdorf, Berks county,
from 1812 to 1872. Dr. Levengood had six sons dis-
tinguished in the professions: four as physicians and
two as lawyers, of the latter being Jacob Seltzer Livin-
good, a member of the Berks County Bar from 1845 to
1906, who married Lucy Jane Shalters; daughter of
Francis B. Shalters, a prominent citizen of Reading,
his home by adoption. Their son, Frank S. Livin-
good, was born in Reading Feb. 24, 1855. He attended
public and private schools, and for two years the Read-
ing high school; entered Phillips Andover Academy,
Andover, Massachusetts, in 1869, and upon graduating
there in 1872 entered Harvard College, where he gradu-
ated with the class of 1876. He then studied law in
Reading in the office of his father, Jacob S. Livingood,
being admitted to the Berks County Bar in August,
1879, since which time he has been continuously en-
gaged in active practice. He is vice-President of the
Berks County Bar Association.

Actively interested in politics Mr. Livingood was,
from 1881 to 1888, chairman of the Republican county
committee, and in 1884 was a delegate to the Republican
National Convention in Chicago. Mr. Livingood has
been president of the Young Men's Christian Associa-
tion of Reading since 1888, and a trustee of Charles
Evans Cemetery Company since 1892. He is treasurer
of the Reading Hospital and trustee of the Reading
Public Library. He has official positions in a number
of business enterprises, and is a member of the follow-
ing: Pennsylvania Historical Society, Berks County
Historical Society, the Pennsylvania German Society,
the Pennsylvania State Bar Association, the Wyomis-
sing and Berkshire Clubs of Reading, the University
Club of Philadelphia and the Harvard Club of New
York. Mr. Livingood is a member of St. Matthew's
Evangelical Lutheran Church of Reading.

PHILIP SHAPIRO, one of Reading's hustling busi-
ness men, and a member of the Reading Board of
Trade, who conducts a flourishing tailoring establish-
ment at No. 6 South Sixth street, was born Sept. 1.
1861, in Germany.

Mr. Shapiro learned the tailoring trade in his native
country, where he also received his literary education.
In 1881 he sailed from Hamburg on the Hamburg-Am-
erican Line steamer "Estralia," and landed at Castle
Garden, N. Y., July 7th of that year. He worked as
a journeyman tailor in New York for two years, and
then engaged in the manufacture of coats on his own
account, commencing with two machines. His skilled
workmanship and honest dealings soon won him a
widespread reputation, and in 1895 he came to Read-
ing, at once opening up his present place of business.
Since locating here he has commanded some of Read-
ing's best trade, and has a reputation second to none
in his line. He has taken an active part in business
circles in the city, and in 1904 was unanimously chosen
a member of the Reading Board of Trade. Mr. Shapiro
is held in the highest esteem by his friends and asso-
ciates, and is considered one of the foremost business
men of the city. He has been prominently identified



with fraternal matters, being a member of the Knights
of Pythias, the I. O. O. F., the Red Men, and the John
F. O. Hein Association of New York City. He has
also been associated with the I. O. B. A., of Reading,
of which he has served as president and treasurer for
three terms each, and is now serving as conductor of
the O. B. A., of New York City. He is a member of
the Union Fire Company, the Northeastern Democratic
League, and a charter member of the Hebrew free
school board of Reading.

Mr. Shapiro was married in 1879 to Anna Etta Cow-
en, and to this union there have been born: Sadie, Bella,
Abraham J., Morris, Michael, Jacob, Dorothy, Margaret
and Beatrice. Mr. Shapiro and his family reside at
No. 121 Moss street, Reading, and are held in the high-
est esteem in their community.

DANIEL E. SCHROEDER. The Schroeders have
been established in Pennsylvania since 1720 or 1730,
when three brothers, Anthony, Martin and Jacob, came
from Germany and settled in Oley and Alsace town-
ships.

The immediate forefathers of Daniel E. Schroeder
were farmers, his grandfather, George, following that
calling in Alsace township, and his father, John S., in
Exeter township. John S. Schroeder was quite a prom-
inent man in his region, his position as sheriff of
Berks county, an office which he filled from 1848 to
1850, making him well known. He died in 1891. His
wife, Susan E. Boyer, was a daughter of George Boyer,
and came of Huguenot stock. She was born in Read-
ing, and died many years before her husband, passing
away in 1868. Of their ten children six are deceased,
all but one of them having reached maturity: George;
John, who was killed on a railroad; William, who en-
listed in Company H., 2d Pennsylvania Cavalry, and was
killed in battle during the Civil war; Charles; Francis
and Louis, who died in childhood. Those who survive
their parents are: Martha, m. to Daniel S. Keller of
Bellefonte; Lucy, widow of W. G. Bryson, of Philips-
burg, Centre county; Joseph, of Reading; and Daniel E.

Daniel E. Schroeder was born Jan. 20, 1842, in Read-
ing and received his literary education in the pub-
lic schools of that city. After finishing school he went
into the office of Judge Hagenman, to read law, and in
1863 was admitted to the Bar. Later he was also ad-
mitted to practice before the Supreme court of the
State and the United States District courts. He has
been established continuously in practice in Reading,
and has made an enviable reputation for himfeelf.

Mr. Schroeder was married in January, 1870, to Clara
L. Clark, of Reading, daughter of the late George B.
Clark. Three children have been born to this union,
namely: Harry F., in the lawn-mower business; George
F., at the head of the shipping department of the
Prospect Dye Wbrks; and Estelle H., at home. The
family attend the Lutheran Church. Mr. Schroeder is
a good Democrat and active in politics. He was one
of the originators of the Americus Club, and served
as a school director from the Fourteenth ward. He is
eligible to membership in the Sons of the Revolution,
as his great-grandfather on the paternal side was •
Capt. John Soder, who participated in the Revolution.
His maternal great-grandfather, George Boyer, was a
veteran of the war of 1812, in which he served with the
rank of lieutenant.

HENRY R. ESHELMAN, in whose death the city
of Readmg, Pa., lost one of its good citizens, was
known throughout musical and church circles as an
organist of rare talent. Mr. Eshelman was born at
Smkmg Spnng, Berks county, April 5. 1845.

Martin Eshelman, grandfather of Henry R.. made
his home in Cumru township, Berks county, where he
died.

Isaac Eshelman, son of Martin, was born in Cumru
township, Berks county, Jan. 19, 1817, and died Nov,
6. 1852. By trade he was a tailor, following that busi-



BIOGRAPHICAL



663



ness at Sinking Spring for several years after which
he went to Centre county, Pa., where he engaged in
■ huckstering until his death. He was a member of
the Lutheran Church, and a Republican in politics. He
married Eliza Rollman, born Sept. 24, 1817, daughter
of John and Maria Rollman. She died aged seventy-six
years. Their children were: Wendell, of Illinois;
Louisa, who died young; Josiah, m. to Emma Fisher;
Henry R., m. to Emeline Gougler; Sarah, m. to George
Smith; and Franklin R., born April 2, 1849.

'Franklin R. Eshelman, son of Isaacj is a shoemaker
by trade at Shillington. He married Catharine Fisher,
and their children are: Annie F., m. to Thomas Fromm,
a hatter and shoemaker, at Shillington, Pa.; Agnes
F.; William R., m. to Ella Plank; Frank H., m. to
Elizabeth Snyder; Emma E., m. to Andrew S. Long;
Katie F., m. to Rev. William L. Meckstroth; Jennie
F., m. to Joseph RoUand; Isaac, unmarried; Mamie F.,
m. to James^ M. Bitler; and Martha, who died young.

In his native locality Henry R. Eshelman secured his
education, and when a lad he learned the trade of
cutter, in which' capacity he later served for twenty-
two years, four months, eighteen days with the Lein-
bach Clothing Company,, of Reading. From early youth
he_ showed marked ability as a musician, the organ
being his favorite instrument, and for nine years he
served as organist in St. John's Reformed Church,
later acting in the same capacity at St. Mark's Lutheran
Church, where he remained for twelve years. Mr.
Eshelman was highly respected by all who knew him,
and his acquaintance was large. He was married Sept.
6. 1868, to Miss Emeline B. Gougler, daughter of John
and Maria (Bamberger) Gougler, and to them there
were born two children: Charles m. Emma Kerner,
and lives at Franklin, Venango county, Pa., and has
one child, Helen R. ; and Paul died at the age of eight
years.

DOMINIC MAURER, one of the leading business
men of Reading, Pa., wiio is engaged in cement con-
tracting, with office at No. 234 North Eleventh street,
and yard at Moss and Green streets, was born in Alsace-
Lorraine, Germany, in 1862, son of Anthony Maurer.

Anthony Maurer was a farmer in Germany, and came
to America after the death of his wife, in 1882, on the
ship "Canada," of a French line of steamers. Bringing
a part of his family with him he landed at New York,
May 4th, and came at once to Reading, where he
worked as a laborer until his death, in May, 190.1. H'e
was married in his native country to Anna Schwartzen-
teuber, who died at the age of fifty-two years. They
had children as follows: Joseph, of Altoona, Pa.; An-
thony, a farmer, still residing in Germany, being burgo-
master of the town of Albach, where he is very pop-
ular; Eugene, a carpenter in Reading; Margaret,
m. to Peter Swope, of Reading; Dominic; Jacob,
of Reading, employed with his brother, Dominiq. The
two eldest of this family served in the German army.

DorhTnic Maurer received his education in the public
schools of his native country, and when a boy learned
the trade of making wooden shoes which he followed
until coming to America. Here his first employment
was in the Scott works, Reading, where he remained
one and one-half years, and then went to learn the
cement business with his father-in-law, with whom he
continued until July 23, 1902, at which time he em-
barked in the business on his own account, and has
continued therein to the present time with much suc-
cess. He has erected some of the finest homes in and
about Reading, including the home of George Deemer
of Stony Creek. John Wagner of Reading, and Joseph
White' of Reading, and also built the Textile Machine
Works, and did work at Weriiersville and at Mineral
Spring Park Hotel. , He is a property owner of the
Ninth ward, where he has a fine residence. Mr. Maurer
employs from thirty to forty men in his business,
which includes cement pavements, vitrified brick pave-
ments, cement steps, cement copings, concrete buildings,



fountains, reservoirs, driveways, stable floors, cellars,
all kinds of cement work with the latest process and
in the most durable manner. His work is its own rec-
ommendation. '

In 1884 Mr. Maurer was married to Helen Wagen-
blast, a daughter of Engelburg Wagenblast, of Wur-
temberg, Germany. She died March 30, 1909. Their
children were: Joseph, a clerk, lives in San Francisco,
Cal.; John; Anthony and Dominic, twins, deceased;
George; Dominic; Mary; Aloysius; Robert, deceased;
Helen; Margaret, deceased; Janet, deceased; Janet (2);
and Ottiella.

Mr. Maurer is a member of St. Paul's Catholic Church
and is connected with the Holy Cross Kinights of St.
George, and St. Boniface's Society.

EMANUEL RICHARDS, one of Reading's substan-
tial citizens and old residents, and an honored veteran
of the great Civil war, was born in Windsor township,
Berks county, April 6, 1843, son of William and Sarah
(Smith) Richards, and grandson of John Richards.

John Richards was a native of Scotland, and when
a young man came to America, settling in New Jersey
where he followed the occupation of furnaceman. Later
he went to Chester county, Pa., continuing his vocation
there and later in Berks county, being engaged at the
Windsor furnace. Mr. Richards' last days were spent
in retirement, he passing away in 1847, aged eighty
years, in the faith of the Presbyterian Church. Po-
litically he was a Democrat. He was married in Scot-
land to Abbie Heacock, and their children were: John,
WilUam, Eli, Abbie and Sarah.

William Richards was born in the State of New
Jersey, and there received his education. When a young
man he learned the furnace business, and locating in
Chester County, Pa., was employed for some years at
the old Potts furnace. Later he went to Rockland,
and was there engaged at what was known as the old
Sally Ann furnace, which was then owned by the Yeag-
ers, whose name was later changed to Hunter, and the
furnace was known as the Hunter furnace. He subse-
quently removed to Windsor township, Berks county,
working at the old Windsor furnace. After its discon-
tinuation he engaged at work in a foundry at Hamburg
for nearly forty years, and was here employed at the
time of his death, which occurred after an illness of
but two days, in 1870, in his sixty-seventh year. His
wife, Mary Smith, died in 1894, aged eighty-four years,
the mother of fourteen children, nine of whom still
survive. With the exception of the parents there has
not been a death in this family for over fifty years.
The children are: Jacob, of Luzerne county; Sarah,
m. to Jared Heckman, deceased, and living in Hamburg;
William,of Chester county; Susan, m. to Joseph Schol-
lenberger, of Hamburg; Emanuel,^ of Reading; Rebecca,
m. to Samuel Bergy, of Reading; Charles, of Schuyl-
kill county; Amanda, twin of Charles, m. to James Wes-
ner, of Reading; and Matilda, m. to John Xanders.
The parents of these children were members of the
Reformed Church. The father was a stanch Democrat
in politics.

Emanuel Richards received his education in the
schools of Windsor township, Berks county, attending
the first free school established in that township. In
1861 he enlisted in Company A, 3rd Reserves, being
with the Army of the Potomac, and the first three-
year men to leave Reading. He remained with the
command until the expiration of his term of service,
being wounded at the battle of Gaines' Hill by a shot
which passed through his right lung, from the effects
of which he has never fully recovered. At the same
time he was captured, and was first taken to Libby
Prison, later being removed to Belle Isle, where
he was exchanged. In July. 1864, Mr. Richards veter-
anized in Company A, 195th Pa. V. I., remaining with
this regiment until the close of the war. Upon his
return to Reading Mr. Richards apprenticed himself to
the shoemaker's trade with Isaac Bird of this city



664 HISTORY OF BERKS COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA

and he has followed this trade with success ever since, member of the Masonic fraternity, and also of a num-
having been at his present location for thirty-four ber of other organizations.

On Feb. 19, 1868, Mr. Richards was married to Mary HEIZMANN. The Heizmanns are of distinguished
Wunder, daughter of Henry Wunder, and of their German ancestry, the earliest of whom anything definite
family of children, five are living: Reynolds, a sheet- is known being one who was knighted by King Otto
iron worker employed by the Philadelphia and Read- for distinguished services in the battle of Lechfeld, in
ing Railway; William, in charge of the credit depart- 955^ between Germany and Hungary. The family narne,
ment of Dives. Pomeroy & Stewart, of Reading; Alice, indicative of valor, was bestowed upon him and also
a saleslady at G. M. Britton's store; Ida, at home; and the castle and lands of Schadeck. From him descend-
Hai-ry, a clerk at the Reading Iron Works. Political- ed those gallant knights and brave warriors who, in res-
ly Mr. Richards is a Democrat. He is connected with ponse to the appeal of Peter the Hermit, at the close
McLean Post No. 16, G. A. R., and is fraternally a of the eleventh century, formed a part of the first cru-
member of the P. O. S. of A. He and his wife attend sade of the Christians who, with the cry "Deus vulf
■ St. Barnabas Episcopal Church. (God wills it), marched victoriously to Palestine and res-

cued the Holy Sepulchre. In the vicissitudes of for-
GEORGE P. GANGER, a prominent builder and tune, the family has at times attained the highest distinc-
contractor of Reading, bears a reputation which js tion, while again it has met with adversity, only to rise
the fruit of years of earnest, conscientious and con- again to its previous height. One of the family was
servative work. ' Hofmarschall to Kaiser Albrecht I, another became Arch-

From the form of the name .'t is thought that the bishop of Mayence, and another Stadt Syndicus of Co-
Ganger family originated in Germany, or France, but logne. During the Thirty Years' war, in which Germany
since settling in Pennsylvania, mainly in Chester coun- was assailed by foreign foes and greatly torn by do-
ty, it has been very closely allied to the Scotch and mestic dissensions, one branch of the family sought re-
Irish, and practically nothing is known of the earlier fuge in the famous Black Forest.

generations. Mr. George P. Ganger and Mr. J. Ben- Charles Lawrence Heizmann, the founder of the fam-
ton Ganger are, with one exception, the only persons ily in America, was descended from this branch of Heiz-
of this line living who bear the name. The grandfather manns. He was born in Lenzkirch, in the Grand Duchy



Online LibraryMorton L. (Morton Luther) MontgomeryHistorical and biographical annals of Berks County, Pennsylvania, embracing a concise history of the county and a genealogical and biographical record of representative families, comp. by Morton L. Montgomery .. → online text (page 188 of 227)