Morton L. (Morton Luther) Montgomery.

Historical and biographical annals of Berks County, Pennsylvania, embracing a concise history of the county and a genealogical and biographical record of representative families, comp. by Morton L. Montgomery .. online

. (page 189 of 227)
Online LibraryMorton L. (Morton Luther) MontgomeryHistorical and biographical annals of Berks County, Pennsylvania, embracing a concise history of the county and a genealogical and biographical record of representative families, comp. by Morton L. Montgomery .. → online text (page 189 of 227)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


was a prosperous farmer of Chester county, but little of Baden, Germany, Aug. 6, 1803. He was educated
is known of him save that he married a Miss Evans at Neufchatel, Switzerland. At the age of thirty years
and had two sons, Levi and David. He, died young, he came to America on the ship "Marcus," sailing from
The family were members of the Reiormed Church, Rotterdam March 12, 1832, with the intention of making
and it is supposed that the granafather was a Whig a business trip. After touching at the island 'of Fayal,
in his political views. The maternal grandparents one of the Azores, on June 13th, the ship arrived in July
were German. off Long Island, where it was learned that cholera was

David Ganger was born in 1809 and gr^w up in raging in New York City. The passengers were land-
Chester county, receiving his education in the public ed at Sag Harbor, L. I., on July 12th, and thence Mr.
and pay schools of that region. After leaving school Heizmann proceeded to Philadelphia, where he remain-
he learned stone masonry, but as he did riot like the ed for some time. Being favorably impressed with the
work he soon turned his attention to tarming instead, country, its people and its form of government, he con-
and spent the rest of his life in that occupation. He eluded not to return to Europe, and therefore located
married Miss Eliza Nyse and they became the parents in Reading, Pa., where many Germans had previously
of a family, three of whom lived to maturity. The settled, and where he established himself in business as
daughter,_ Sarah, died, however, in early womanhood, an importer and dealer in musical instruments and mus-
The surviving sons were George P. and Levi. ical merchandise. Like most educated Germans he was

George P. Ganger was born in Chester county, Sept. an accomplished musician and linguist, speaking, besides
10, 1843. He was brought up to farm work, in the his native tongue, English, French and Italian. He be-
meantime attending the public schools also, until he came interested in the industrial development of his adopt-
was nineteen, when he entered upon a four years' ap- ed city, and with characteristic German foresight was in-
prentjceship to the stone mason's trade. Having mas- strumental in the formation of the Reading German
tered thoroughly his business he went at the age of Building and Savings Fund Association, the first build-
twenty-three to ReadiAg, and settled there permanent- ing society in Reading, of which he was chosen pres-
ly as a mason and builder. He has steadily increased ident. The charter was granted Sept. 18. 1848. He was
the scope of his operations, and is now one of the Roman Catholic in religious faith, holding membership in
foremost builders in jthe city. He has done a great the church on South Fifth street, of which he served as
deal to make Reading one of the desirable residence trustee. Mr. Heizmann died in Reading July 3, 1859.
cities in the State. He has on his own account built On April 22, 1834, Mr. Heizmann was united in mar-
over 200 houses, ranging in value from $2500 to 3000, riage with Mary Cecilia Eichhorn, daughter of John
besides a large number under contract for friends Francis Eichhorn and Eva Siegfried, whose ancestors
'and patrons. His work is always first class and done settled in Berks county in 1755. All of their children
in the most conscientious manner. During his first were born in the old family home, on the southeast cor-
fifteen years in Reading Mr. Ganger was employed by ner of Sixth and Penn streets, Reading. Mrs. Heiz-
the Philadelphia & Reading Railroad, and helped to mann was one of a family of five children, namely:
construct many of the bridges and depots along that Anna, who married a New England schoolmaster, Jon-
well known line. A number of the handsomest struc- athan Dwight; John Francis, who was married to Ma-
tures in the city are Mr. Ganger's work, among the tilda Miller (both died at an early age, leaving two
most notable being the city hall, St. Peter's Methodist daughters, Alice and Ann) ; Ellen, who married Charles
Church, the Evangelical Church, Mr. Eckert's home, Troxell, postmaster of Reading tinder the Harrison-
and a great number of other residences. Tyler administration, and a collector of the Port of

Mr. Ganger married, in 1871, Miss Christie Low, Philadelphia under the Taylor-Fillmore administration-
daughter of James Low, of Lebanon county, and four Mary Cecilia; and Theresa, who married Dr. Adolphus
children have been born to them, namely: David, Lippe, a son of the Count of Lippe-Weissen'feldt Ger-
who died in infancy; Sarah, m. to Albert Folk; Mary, many, and a member of the Lippe-Detmold family Six
m. (first) to Charles Spangler. had one daughter. Ma- sons and two daughters wer? born to Mr. and Mrs Heiz-
bel, and (second) to John Newil; and Lulu, m. to H. M. mann and this familv has been influential and active in
Eldridge. Mr. Ganger and his family are members of both professional and industrial circles in. Berks coun-
the M. E. Church. In politics a Republican, he takes, ty for many years. Cliarles Raymond and Theodore
however, no active part in public aflfairs. He is a Ignatius are mentioned below. Francis Joseph born








'^^>-^



BIOGRAPHICAL



665



Aug. 14, 1841, died Oct. 22, 1849. Cecilia Eve was born
June 2i 1844. Dr. Charles Lawrence and Albert Aloysi-
us are mentioned below. Mary Ann, born Nov. 4, 1853,
became the wife of James A. O'Reily, Esq., a prominent
attorney of Reading. Aloysius Adolphus, born Sept. 27,
1858, died Feb. 17. 1859.

Charles Raymond Heizmann was born in Reading
Jan. 23, 1885, and received his education in private schools
and at St. Mary's College, Wilmington, Del. When only
fifteen he entered his father's store to receive a business
training. His father allowed the boy to undertake many
responsible duties, in the performance of which he not
only showed great interest, but also developed self-confi-
dence and executive ability. He was often sent to buy
goods in Philadelphia, and early displayed the traits
which have since brought him into such prominence in
the commercial world. When his father died he assum-
ed control of the business, which he purchased from the
estate in 1865, conducting it alone from that time to 1870,
when he received his brother Albert into partnership in
the business. The old business was continued success-
fully, and in 1877 they made a new departure, establish-
ing the Penn Hardware Works. They ran both businesses
for two years, at the end of that time finding the new
enterprise so promising that they disposed of the store
in order to give all their time to the hardware works.

The Penn Hardware Works were first located in a
small building on Front street, which the firm leased,
and employment was given to ten hands. As the busi-
ness grew and more space was required, they purchased
four acres of land at the foot of Spruce street, between
the canal and the Schuylkill river, erecting thereon a
convenient building, which met the demands of the busi-
ness at that time. But it continued to expand with un-
dreamed-of rapidity, so that the new structure proved
inadequate, and additions were needed so much sooner
than the proprietors had anticipated. These were made
from time to time until all the four acres were covered
with substantial brick buildings. Then adjacent prop-
erty was secured', and in 1906 a new building 60 x 100
feet in dimensions, and four stories in height, was erect-
ed, ready for occupancy Jan. 1, 1907. It is very mod-
ern in every respect, and completes a block of buildings
which make the Penn Hardware Works one of the lar-
gest plants in the United States. The first floor of this
new building is used as a store room, the other three
floors being used exclusively for plating. The coinpany
now manufactures its own gas, for fuel and lighting, a
two-story building, 30x80 feet, having been erected for
the gas plant. There are six engines in the establishment,
two gasoline engines of 60 and 33 horse-power, respective-
ly, a steam engine of 150, one of 30 and one of 120 horse-
power, and a new gas engine of 150 horse-power. A new
warehouse, seven stories in height and 60 x 120 feet in
dimensions, is now (1908) under course of construc-
tion. Seven hundred and fifty hands constitute the pres-
ent working force, which is frequently taxed to the
utmost and )*rorking overtime. The company is exten-
sively engaep^ in manufacturing a general line of build-
ers' hardw^fc and the product is sold all over the Unit-
ed States, ^iirope and Australia. Ten carloads of frame
pulleys were made for the rebuilding of San Francisco.
Orders are constantly being received which insure the
activity of the plant for months ahead.

Mr. C. Raymond Heizmann is not only a man of ex-
cellent talent, but he has mechanical tastes which have
developed under the necessities of business, and he has
designed much of the machinery and many of the ap-
pliances in use at the works, and is a patentee of a num-
ber of the articles manufactured by the company. The
most successful of these articles was a plug tobacco cilt-
ter. After sharp competition with the leading manu-
facturers of the country Mr. Heizmann secured a con-
tract from the Lorillards of New York for twenty thou-
sand of these small machines, highly finished in nickel
plate and bronze. The Penn Hardware Company was
incorporated in April, 1896, with a paid-up capital pi
$415,000, and with Mr. C. Raymond Heizmann as its



president, which position he has occupied since the com-
mencement of the enterprise. An establishment of such
magnitude confers untold benefits upon the community in
which it is located, and the large showing made by the
employes- iffl.;^he industrial parade during the Sesqui-Cen-
tennial of Reading, celebrated in June, 1898, gave some
indication of the number of people directly benefited by
profitable and steady emplpyment at this plant. The
number has since been increased about fifty per cent. Mr.
Heizmann took great interest in the celebration, and gave
his influence and active aid toward making it a success,
serving as a member of the executive committee and chair-
man of the insignia committee.

•On June 9, 1874, Mr. Heizmann was married to Mary
M. Miller, daughter of Lewis and Mary A. (Dickson)
Miller, and they became the parents of the following chil-
dren : Mary A., Mary Cecilia, Raymond L., Lewis J.,
Flora R., Charles Raymond, Jr., Francis Edward and
Theodora. Their home is at No. 318 North Fifth street,
Reading.

Theodore Ignatius Heizmann was born in Reading
Dec. 14, 1838. He attended the private schools of the
city and later Mount St. Mary's College, at Emmits-
burg, Md., where he remained two years, after which
he entered the Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute at Troy,
N. Y., in 1856. He graduated in 1859, with the degree
of civil engineer, and for several months thereafter was
engaged as assistant to the topographer of the prelim-
inary survey of the Reading & Columbia railroad, and
in a similar capacity on the survey of a line between
Easton and Nazareth. In March, 1860, he became a
member of the engineer corps of the Pennsylvania Rail-
road Company, and by his industry and ability won such
rapid promotion that in March, 1861, he became assis-
tant engineer. In March, 1864, he became principal as-
sistant enigineer, and in February, 1865, became res-
ident engineer of the Middle division, from Harrisburg
to Altoona, his office being at the latter place. In Jan-
uary, 1868, he became resident engineer of the Phil-
adelphia division, between Philadelphia and Harrisburg,
with office at Philadelphia. In April, 1870, his office
was changed back to Altoona, when he was made en-
gineer of maintenance of way of the main line between
Philadelphia and Pittsburg. In January, 1872, he was
appointed chief engineer of maintenance of way bf all
lines of the Pennsylvania Railroad Company between
New York City and Pittsburg, and as such had his
office at Philadelphia until his retirement in 1874. Mr.
Heizmann has not devoted himself particularly to any
line of work since, spending much of his time in for-
eign travel. He takes keen enjoyment in music and
even during his active business career kept up his mus-
ical studies for the love of the art. He was vice-chair-
man of the music committee during the Sesqui-Cen-
tennial celebration in June, 1898, and wrote the music
for the hymn sung on that occasion. He has been vice-
president and a director of the Penn Hardware Com-
pany since its incorporation. In 1892-93 he built the
St. Cecilia Memorial Chapel at the northwest corner
of Perkiomen avenue and Spruce street, as a memorial
to his mother.

Dr. Charles Lawrence Heizmann, who spent all of
his professional life from the age of twenty-one in the
United States army as assistant surgeon, surgeon and as-
sistant surgeon general, was born April 15, 1846, in Read-
ing, where he obtained his intellectual training in the
public schools. After his graduation from the Reading
high school he entered the University of Georgetown,
which institution conferred on him the degree of Bach-
elor of Arts. He was then prepared far the medicaT
profession in the Medical Department of the University
of Pennsylvania, graduating therefrom in his twenty-
first year, after which he applied for admission to the
medical corps of the army, being one of the four chosen
of several hundred candidates. In the army service his
service has been an active and a brilliant one. He first
saw service in the Modoc war on the Western fron-
tier, and the reminiscences of thrilling adventures which



666



HISTORY OF BERKS COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



he oftentimes relates are very interesting. He accom-
panied the party making the first survey of Yellowstone
Park, and during his service has been stationed at the
following posts : San Antonio, Texas ; Fort Vancouver ;
Fort Douglass; Salt Lake City; Utah; Fort Niagara;
West Point; Bedloe's Island in New York Harbor; Fort
Ontario at Oswego; Fort Adams, Newport, R. I.; at the
Presidio, San Francisco, Cal., arriving there just after
the great earthquake and fire of 1906; and at Manila,
in the Philippines, in charge of the Medical Department
of those Islands. Some years ago. Colonel Heizmann
was honored by the War Department with a semi-official
mission to Europe to inspect the military hospitals of
the principal nations of the Continent. He made a care-
ful study of their systems and upon his return published
a book upon the subject which is really a work 'of mer-
it, and has gained him much praise from the physicians
of this country. Besides being a work of literary val-
ue it has resulted in much benefit to the hospitals of our
country, owing to its completeness and exactness of de-
tail. He retired from the army in the year 1908 with
the rank of Assistant Surgeon General.

Albert Aloysius Heizmann was born in Reading Sept.
11, 1848, and was educated in the private schools of
Reading, St. Mary's College, Wilmington, Del., and at
the University of Notre Dame, South Bend, Ind., grad-
uating there in the English and commercial course in
1865. In the same year he entered the store of his broth-
er, Charles Raymond, at the corner of Sixth and Penn
streets, Reading, and in 1870 he became an equal part-
ner in the business. They were jewelers and importers
of musical instruments and merchandise- In 1877 the
two brothers, as equal partners, established the Penn
Hardware Works, for the manufacture of builders' hard-
ware, and in 1879 disposed of the store and devoted
their whole attention to the new enterprise. In April,
1896, it was incorporated as the Penn Hardware Com-
pany with a paid-up capital of $415,000. Albert A. Heiz-
mann was elected treasurer of the company. That the
business has been a success is evidenced by the fact that
the annual statement of Jan. 1, 1908, showed a surplus
fund greater than the original capital.

In addition to his work as a member of the Penn Hard-
ware Company, Mr. Heizmann took a great interest in
municipal affairs, having been a member of common coun-
cil from 1878 to 1880, and of select council from 1882
to 1885. In. February, 1885, he was elected a member
of the board of water commissioners, and was chosen
president of the board in 1891, which position he held un-
til Feb. 16, 1892, when he resigned. Mr. Heizmann was a
director of the Keystone National Bank for a number
of years. Owing to his continued ill health, which com-
pelled him to live in the South the greater part of the
year, he resigned as treasurer of the Penn Hardware
Company Jan. 1, 1901, but still remained a director. He
died June 14, 1909.

On Sept. 3, 1874, Mr. Heizmann married Jane, daugh-
ter of Isaac and Mary (Sterling) May,, of Shamokin,
Pia. They had children as follows: Mary May, born
June 37, 1875; Charles Lawrence, born Oct. 18, 1877; Wil-
liam Albert, born Sept. 15, 1882; Henry, born Sept. 15,
1882 (died in infancy) ; Edith Cecilia, born Nov. 24, 1887;
Theodore, born Nov. 13, 1889.

William A. Heizmann. treasurer and sales manager
of the Penn Hardware Company, of Reading, is prov-
ing his right to a position in the foremost business cir-
cles of the city. The name Heizmann stands for all
that is substantial, up-to-date and honorable in the lo-
yl industrial field. Various representatives of the fam-
ily have won their way to unquestioned standing, and
to the younger generation falls the no less difficult task of
maintaining the high standard of their elders and of
infusing new aims and new energy into the business
whose development has been the pride and the life
work of its founders. The Penn Hardware Company,
Manufacturers of Locks & Builders Hardware, owned,
officered and managed chiefly by members of the Heiz-
mann families, is one of the solid institutions of Reading.



Mr. Heizmann was born in Reading Sept. 15, 1882,
and received his early training in the private and public
schools of the city, graduating from the high school with
distinction in the year 1900. He then continued his
studies at Harvard University, where he won a Harvard
College Honorary Scholarship, completing in three years
the work required for the Bachelor of Arts Degree. In
1904 he was graduated from Harvard with distinction.
He then took charge of the foundry department of the
Penn Hardware Company, within a short time was ap-
pointed assistant treasurer, and in 1905 was elected treas-
urer, which office he has since held. In addition to the
duties which fall to him in that capacity he also has
been given charge of the sales department, a measure
of responsibility which reflects credit upon the prom-
ise which he has already shown.

On Oct. 3, 1906, Mr. Heizmann married Miss Ada
Lotz Leinbach, a daughter of A. Ellsworth and Mary
A. (Lotz) Leinbach, members of prominent Berks coun-
ty fainilies elsewhere mentioned. Mr. and Mrs. Heiz-
mann reside at No. 202 Windsor street. They have one
child, Anne Leinbach, born Sept. 9, 1907. Mr. Heiz-
mann is a member of St. Peter's Catholic Church, and
socially belongs to the Berkshire Country Club and is
secretary of the Harvard Club of Reading.

JOHN ROEHRICH, engaged in the manufacture
of artificial ice as proprietor of a large cold storage
plant at Third and Buttonwood streets, was born in
Baden, Germany, in 1851. In 1865, he accompanied
his parents, Christopher and Catharine (Doeman)
Roehrich, to America. The father was a paver by
trade, and after settling, at Reading continued to work
at it through his active life. He died in 1881, at the
age of seventy-two years. His widow survived until
1890, dying at the age of eighty-one years. They
had four children, namely: Elizabeth, Mary, Cath-
arine and John. In religious belief they were Luth-
erans. The father was a naturalized citizen of the
United States, and was a zealous worker in the Dem-
ocratic party.

John Roehrich was educated mainly in his native
land and soon after coming to Reading was employed
by Frederick Lauer as an errand boy. Later he worked
at the Felix brewery, the same plant now owned by
the Deppen Brewing Company, where he filled the
position of assistant brewer-master for upward of
eight years. In 1885 he formed a partnership with
John Stocker, under the name of Roehrich & Stocker,
for carrying on the brewing business at Tremont,
Pa., and they continued there until 1891, when they
sold the brewery and came to Reading. Purchasing
a tract of land on North Eleventh street, opposite
the Fair ground, they established a brewery and car-
ried it on successfully until 1897, when Mr. Roehrich
-sold his interest to his partner. Subsequentlv he
formed a partnership with George J. Raab and they
operated the old Keystone Brewery under the name
of Roehrich & Raab until 1903, when they sold the
plant to the Deppen Brewing Co.. and in 1908 this
was reorganized with the following officers: Presi-
dent, John Roehrich; vice president, William J. Roeh-
rich; secretary, George J. Raab; treasurer, James Tay-
lor; and directors, James Mahony and Dr. John M.
Bertolet. That year they erected the Brewery at
Third and Buttonwood streets, where thirty-nine men
are employed.

After closing out his former business interests, in .
1902, Mr. Roehrich purchased a lot of ground (75 by
140 feet) on Third near Buttonwood street in 1903,
and built a cold storage and ice plant, and equipoed
it with modern machinery, with a capacity of fifty
tons of ice per day.

In 1875 Mr. Roehrich was married to Catharine
Baisch. a native of Berks county, and they have three
children, viz: William J.. Frank C. and Harry Max.
They are members of the Lutheran Church. Mr. Roeh-
rich is a self-made man. In his business as well as
his social relations he is held in the highest esteem.



BIOGRAPHICAL



667



J. H. REICHERT, of Willow Glen Farm, in Marion
township, Berks county, and second vice-president of
the International Correspondence Schools, of Scran-
ton, Pa., was born in Upper Tulpehocken township,
Berks county, Sept. 1, 1865, son of Jeremiah M. Reich-
ert (a soldier of the Civil war), and grandson of
Charles Reichert (a Revolutionary soldier).

The family is of Swiss extraction, and was one of
the earliest to locate in Berks county, the name ap-
pearing in 1739 on the first tax list made up for Bern
township.

As a young man Mr. Reichert was a salesman, and
about twelve years ago he became connected with the
International Correspondence Schools at Scranton, Pa.,
and is now serving as second vice-president, having
charge of the selling force. He has, however, retained
his residence in Marion township, on the homestead
of his maternal ailcestors, the Maidenfords.

Willow Glen Farm consists of 105 acres, and is one,
of the landmarks of the county, having been settled
by Mr. Reichert's ancestors nearly two centuries ago.
The farm house is 177 years old. This place is run
on business principles, and after being practically
ruined throu^ farming along old methods by genera-
tion after generation. When Mr. Reichert took charge
he studied the question carefully for weeks and months
and at the end of that time had concluded two things
were necessary; To discontinue the pasturing of cattle,
and to waste less home fertilizer. He worked out a
system of green crops, suitable to the climate and soil,
and he has a fine herd of fifty-five Jerseys (in milk).
His milk is of excellent quality, and brings two cents a
quart more in Reading than that sold by other farm-
ers. The milk of each cow is weighed at each milking,
and the total daily yield is watched, so that any varia-
tions can be quickly noted and the cause caught. In
one year the farm produced 154,000 quarts of milk. All
the rough feed — hay, grain and ensilage — is raised, and
none purchased, and nothing is sold except wheat, milk
and cattle, yet the farm has an annual income of $7,000.

REDCAY. For the last one hundred and fifty and
more years the name of Redcay (Redche, Retge) has
been a familiar one in Lancaster and Berks counties.
Pa., where many of the name have spent upright, hon-
orable and useful lives following the peaceful pursuit
of agriculture.

(I) Elias Rattge (or Redche), the ancestor of the
Redcay family in question, came to Pennsylvania, Sept.
26, 1737, from Germany, and was accompanied by
Nicholas Rattge, a relative. Both names were written
by a clerk, and that of Elias was spelled Ratgen. Tra-
dition says he was related to John Jacob Radge, who
arrived in Philadelphia, Dec. 3, 1740, on the ship
"Robert and Alice," Capt. Goodman, commander. Elias
Rattge settled at once in Robeson township, Lancaster



Online LibraryMorton L. (Morton Luther) MontgomeryHistorical and biographical annals of Berks County, Pennsylvania, embracing a concise history of the county and a genealogical and biographical record of representative families, comp. by Morton L. Montgomery .. → online text (page 189 of 227)