Morton L. (Morton Luther) Montgomery.

Historical and biographical annals of Berks County, Pennsylvania, embracing a concise history of the county and a genealogical and biographical record of representative families, comp. by Morton L. Montgomery .. online

. (page 191 of 227)
Online LibraryMorton L. (Morton Luther) MontgomeryHistorical and biographical annals of Berks County, Pennsylvania, embracing a concise history of the county and a genealogical and biographical record of representative families, comp. by Morton L. Montgomery .. → online text (page 191 of 227)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


an interest in different tracts of woodland located in
North Coventry township, Chester county, which at
one time belonged to his father.



Mr. Rhoads is one of the substantial citizens of the
township, and takes a keen intelligent interest in
public affairs. In politics he is a- Democrat, and since
1883 has held the office of school director, being one
of the very oldest directors in point of service in the
county. He has also served as assistant assessor of
the township, and was delegate to several county con-
ventions. With his family he attends Emanuel Luth-
eran Church of Pottstown, of which for six years he
was a deacon.

In 1855 Mr. Rhoads married Sarah Yorgey, daugh-
ter of Jacob and Sarah (Reifsnyder) Yorgey. She was
born March 24, 1840, and died Jan. 20, 1903, and is
buried in the Pottstown cemetery. Eleven children
were born of this union, namely: Marguerite m. Jacob
Levengood, of Montgomery county; Annie m. Irwin
Sassaman, and lives at Reading; Jacob is a farmer in
Douglass township; William lives at Philadelphia; War-
ren died aged thirty-three years; Emma m. August
Maberry (deceased), and lives at Pottstown; Darius is
a farmer at Amityville; Isaac is a blacksmith at Amity-
ville; John is a baker at Pottstown; George Y. is a
teacher in Douglass township, and Morris is a farmer in
Douglass township.

O. B. S. WILDER, a well-known resident of Perkio-
men avenue, Reading, who as a general contractor
and builder has erected some of the city's most beauti-
ful structures, was born in 1860, in Key West, Fla.,
son of Barnabas S. and Diana (Waltz) Wilder, the
latter a descendant of Michael Waltz, a soldier of the
Revolutionary war.

Barnabas S. Wilder was also a native of Florida, and
came to Pennsylvania prior to the Civil war. He was
a hotel proprietor for many years, and at the time of
his death was conducting the "Mansion House" at Car-
lisle. Mr. Wilder was a member of the Masonic Or-
der at Harrisburg, Pa., and was a consistent attendant
of the Reformed Church, his wife being a Lutheran,
in the faith of which church she died in 1889. Three
children were born to Mr. and Mrs. Wilder: O. B. S. ;
Bella E., m. to Lieutenant George of the United States
Army; and Robert, in the hotel business at Shippens-
burg.

O. B. S. Wilder was about one year old when his
parents came to Pennsylvania, and his literary educa-
tion was secured in the schools of Dauphin and Cum-
berland counties. As a- youth he learned the carpenter-
ing, building and painting trades, and in 1883 he engaged
in a general contracting business, in which he has con-
tinued to the present time. He has worked in Ken-
tucky, West Virginia and Tennessee, beside Pennsyl-
vania. He has erected many buildings throughout
Reading, including the "Crystal Palace Hotel," and the
residence of Ferdinand Winter on Center avenue,
and his work has gained him an enviable reputation
in his line. Mr. Wilder is very fond of hunting, and
during the winter of 1906-07 spent some time at this
sport in Georgia.

Mr. Wilder was married in 1884 to Emma R. Wahl.
He belonged to Montgomery Lodge, I. O. O. F., Read-
ing; and Samuel J. Randall Council, Jr. O. U. A. M.,
Reading. In political matters he is independent.

GEORGE IRA KEEN, M. D., one of Reading's
successful young practitioners of medicine, was born
at Reading, in 1870, son of Samuel H. and Mary D.
(Landis) Keen.

The Keen family has been known in Reading for
several generations and has held the respect of the
community. Samuel Keen, the grandfather, died in
this city, and here Samuel H. Keen, his son, was born
and has resided here all his life. In young manhood
he was absent for a short time, operating an engine in
Georgia, but for the past forty years he has been with
the Reading Railway Company, one of that, corpora-
tion's most valued employes. He married Mary D.
Landis, a member of a large and honored family of



BIOGRAPHICAL



671



Lancaster county. They reside at No. 1213 Chestnut
street, which has been the family home for the past-
thirty-five years. Their children are: George Ira, of
this sketch; James O., a machinist at Reading; Newton
Edgar, a printer, who resides in Philadelphia; and Mrs.
William M. Kitzmiller, of Germantown, Philadelphia.

Dr. Keen was educated at Reading and after passing
creditably through the high school, he attended Pal-
mer's Business College, at Philadelphia, and then en-
tered Hahnemann Medical College at Philadelphia, in
1889, where he was graduated with the class of 1892.
He entered upon the practice of his profession in his
native city, and has met with excellent success. He has
established his office in his handsome, newly-erected
home at No. 941 Franklin street.

Dr. Keen married Elizabeth May Leh, daughter of
Frank Leh, of Reading, and they had twin daughters,
Helen and Ethel, the latter of whom is deceased.
Miss Helen is a student at Reading. Politically Dr.
Keen is a Republican. He is a member of the State
Medical Association and of the State Homeopathical
Association and is president of the Pathological So-
ciety of Reading.

MILLER. The Miller family to which Joshua L.
Miller, of Albany township, Berks county, belongs, is
descended from Christian Miller, born June 3, 1799,
in the vicinity of Milton, Pa.

It is said that Christian Miller came from along
the Susquehanna river. He died in Albany township.
Feb. 27, 1869. His farm comprised that now owned by
James E. Snyder of 125 acres, and Joshua L. Miller
of 75 acres. 'On the Snyder farm he built the stone
house in 1844, and the barn in 1855. He was a sub-
stantial man, and founded Salem Evangelical Church,
bequesting one half acre of land upon which it was
built in 1882. He served as class leader and exhorter,
and a congregation was organized that built a church
thirteen years after his death. The congregation con-
sists of some forty members, the principal families be-
ing the Millers. Snyders, Berks, Kneppers, and Mau-
reys. Christian Miller married Sophia Bailey (1808-
1868). They had two children: Jacob; and Catharine,
m. to James E. Snyder.

Jacob Miller, son of Christian, was born Feb. 20,
1833, died at Kempton, July 21, 1897. He was a farmer
and owned the tract now the property of his son Joshua
L. In 1886 he retired and built a house at Kempton,
where he died. He was active in church life, and is
buried at Snyder's Evangelical Association founded
by his father. He married Helena Leiby, daughter of
Jacob Leiby, of Virginville. They had children:
Joshua L. ; Valeria m. William Bolich, of Drehersville,
Pa.; Kate deceased m. Alfred Miller, deceased; Mon-
roe (1864-1877).

Joshua L. Miller was born in Perry township, Berks
county, Sept. 9, 1859., When a child his parents came
to Albany, and here he has since made his home. He
is a farmer and has a seventy-five acre tract, on which
he raises many potatoes. His home is most attractive.
He and his family are members of the Salem Evan-
gelical Association near their home, and he has been
class leader, exhorter, and trustee. In 1873 he married
Priscilla Heisler, and they have children: Monroe, Mil-
ton, Edwin, Alvena, Cora, Amelia, Minnie, Mahlon.

PHILIP H. LOTZ, now living a retired life at his
home in Reading, No. 941 Elm street, was for many
years identified with various business ventures in this
city. Mr. Lotz was born in 1835, in Reading, son of
William Lotz, and comes of one of the oldest fam-
ilies of this section.

Col. Nicholas Lotz, great-grandfather of Philip H.,
was born in Germany in 1740, and emigrated to Amer-
ica, settling in Reading prior to the Revolution. He
served as a delegate to the Provincial Conference in
June, 1776, and later took an active part in the enlist-
ment of men for the army. He Became a Lieutenant



Colonel, and was a participant in the campaign of the
"Flying Camp" at New York, where he was. engaged
in the battle of Long Island and taken prisoner. He
was at the head of the militia battalions for many
years. In 1780 he was appointed a commissioner of
forage and purchased supplies for the army until the
close of the war. He represented Berks in the General
Assembly from 1784 to 1786. and again from 1790 to
1806. He died Nov. 28, 1807, and his remains were
interred in the graveyard of the First Reformed Church
and removed from there to Charles Evans cemetery.

The old Shanaman mill property, at the mouth of the
Wyomissing creek, opposite Reading, was the place
where Col. Nicholas Lotz made flour for the Continent-
al army during the Revolutionary War. Col. Nicholas
Lotz sold the grist mill and twelve acres of land, part
of a tract of 200 acres, to Peter Bauman.

Philip Lotz, son of Col. Nicholas, was born in
Berks county and was a saddler by trade, an oc-
cupation which he followed for several years on Penn
street, above Third. He and his wife both died in
Reading, and were buried in the Charles Evans ceme-
tery.

William Lotz, father of Philip H., was born in Read-
ing, and in this city received his education. For a
number of years he was successfully engaged in the
butchering business on North Fifth street, where the
Masonic Temple now stands. Mr. Lotz died at the
age of eighty-seven years. He married Sarah Hess, and
their children were: Barbara; Catherine; Caroline, de-
ceased; William, deceased; Henry; Philip HI; Casper
and Emma.

Philip H. Lotz attended the public schools of Read-
ing, and then engaged in clerking in a dry goods store.
Two years later he engaged in the butchering busi-
ness with his father, and' continued therein for a period
of twenty years, he and his brother Casper, being in
partnership one year. He then engaged with George
W. Hues, who was in the liquor business on Eighth
and Penn streets, and later removed to No. 805 Penn
street. He then became employed with a Mr. Jones in
the same line of business, continuing with him for a
period of fifteen years, then engaging with Martin
Sheafler. In 1900 Mr. Lotz retired from business. He
married Caroline Lott, daughter of Nicholas, and
she died in 1888, their children being: Sallie J., m. Wil-
liam Auraan, has a family of six children ; and George
m. a Miss Sullivan, has two children, and resides in
Reading. Mr. Lotz is a Republican in his political
views, but takes little interest in public matters. He
is a member of the Reformed Church.

JOSEPH TRICKEL, master mechanic of the Penn
Hardware Company, Reading, and a highly esteemed
resident of that city, was born in Baden, Germany, in
1851, and there received his education. He came to
America when seventeen years old, and came direct
from New York City to Reading, where he ha,s- since
resided.

Mr. Trickel learned the machinist's trade in Read-
ing with A. C. Greth, with whom he remained for
twelve and one-half years, and after finishing his
trade worked as a journeyman for some time. He
then engaged with the Penn Hardware Company, and
he has continued with that firm to the present time,
a matter of thirty years. He started as foreman of
the machine shop, and shortly after was made master
mechanic. He is one of the oldest employes of the
company, and is a very skilled mechanic, having several
patented inventions to his credit, and being at the
head of thirty-two foremen.

Mr. Trickel married Catherine E. Nickolas, daugh-
ter of Adam and Elizabeth (Draher) Nickolas, the
former a pioneer brush manufacturer of Reading,
having his foundry at No. 131 North Tenth street.
He died at the age of seventy-two years, while his
widow survives him and resides with her youngest
daughter, Mrs. Christine Regar, No. 1405 Muhlen-



673



HISTORY OF BERKS COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



berg street, Reading, being aged eighty years. Mr.
and Mrs. Trickel have one daughter, Annie, the wife
of Herbert S. De Hart (son of William), a plumber,
and they reside with Mr. and Mrs. Trickel.

The Trickels are members of the Catholic Church.
Politically Mr. Trickel is independent. He is a stock-
holder in the Penn Hardware Company, and is the
owner of considerable property in the city of Read-
ing. Mr. Trickel's first home was at No. 1050 Muh-
lenberg street, having purchased this in 1876, and
since that time he has purchased considerable prop-
erty, among it being his present home. No.. 1236 Perk-
iomen avenue, which he bought in 1895. Mr. Trickel's
mother paid a visit to the United States when seven-
ty-two years of age, visiting all of the large cities,
and then returned to her native country, where she
died.

Mr. Joseph Trickel was the eldest of his parents'
children, the others being: Leander, a well known
butcher of Reading; Reinhardt, a blacksmith by trade,
who died in Philadelphia; Alfred, who served in the
German army, and died in that country; Catherine,
deceased; and Bertha, who is living in Philadelphia.

BENJAMIN SAYLOR, senior member of the large
grocery firm of B. & J. Saylor, Reading, is a native son
of Berks county. He . has been interested in his pres-
ent business for a period of over forty years. Mr.
Saylor was born in Heidelberg township, son of John
and Catherine (Sheaffer) Saylor, the former a coun-
try merchant and also a tailor, who died in Reading
Jan. 1, 1867. The wife and mother passed awav Tan. 1,
1857.

Mr. Saylor began his education in the public schools
of his native township, and then spent three years at
the Union Academy, at Womelsdorf. On leaving school
he engaged in teaching, following that profession two
and one half years at Robesonia, this county. He then
went to Philadelphia, and entering the grocery store
of his brother John remained with him ten years. They
were first located at Sixteenth and Market streets, and
later at Sixteenth and Cherry streets. In 1862 Benja-
min Saylor left his brother and volunteered for three
years or_ during the war in the Union army. He entered
the service in August of that year as second Heutenant
of Company C, 119th Pennsylvania Volunteers, attached
to the Sixth Army Corps, and was shortly afterward
promoted, becoming first lieutenant of the same com-
pany. One year later he was again promoted, becoming
captain of Company H, of the same regiment, and con-
tinued as an officer in line of battle for two years. His
duties led him into participation in some of the most
notable campaigns of the war, in the actions up to and in-
cluding both the first and second battles of Fredericks-
burg. He was at the storming of Marye's Heights and
on to Chancellorsville ; then followed the engagement
at Mine Run, in which so many were killed and wound-
ed, and after that the storming of Rappahannock Heights,
in which about a third of the brigade, under Gen. David
Russell, were lost. On May 5, 1864, the great campaign
under General Grant commenced. Crossing the Rapidan,
the troops fought through the Wilderness on to Spott-
sylvania and Cold Harbor, where Captain Saylor lost
forty men out of his company in the twelve days they
were constantly engaged in fighting day and night. There
at Cold Harbor he received his commission as commis-
sary of subsistence of the volunteer service of the Unit-
ed States army, in which capacity he served until the
surrender of General Lee at Appomattox, April 9, 1865
— practically the close of the war. In this connection he
relates that after the surrender of Lee he received or-
ders to turn over to the latter's army his beef cattle,
about 120 head, to feed the starving men. All of Mr.
Saylor's service was under General Sedgwick in the Sixth
Army Corps. He was honorably discharged Sept. 11,
1865. as brevet major.

The war ended, Mr. Saylor came to Reading, and in
the fall of 1866 began his present grocery business in part-



nership with his brother John. They had a small store
opposite the site of the present magnificent establishment,
18 feet front on Fourth street, and 28 feet deep, the broth-
ers buying out the former proprietor, William Fisher.
For eleven years they remained at that location, and then
in 1877 moved to the present place of business, No. 401
Penn street. Meantime the original store had not been
long confined to the tiny room with 18 feet front, but
spread over three other rooms. The present arrange-
ment of the store is the result of many alterations, the
building being now 30 x 142 feet in dimensions, four stor-
ies high, with a cellar 11 feet clear below the first floor.
In its construction 250,000 brick and 140 tons of struc-
tural steel were used. There are coffee roasters, ma-
chinery driven by steam and electric motors, with coffee-
mills and pulverizers — in fact everything that goes to equip
a thoroughly up-to-date grocery. Goods are delivered
free over the city and adjacent territory, seven wagons
and one automobile being employed for that purpose.
The cake and pastry department is one of the most
popular in Reading. The bakery is located on the third
floor and is a model of neatness, and every precaution
is taken to provide only the best and purest materials.
A large part of the candy they sell is of their own
manufacture, and they also carry a full line of standard
makes.

In May, 1888, John Saylor died, and his son, Howard
B., succeeded him, the firm name, however, remaining
unchanged.

In 1871 Benjamin Saylor married, and his only child
was a son John, who in 1907 purchased the interest of
Howard B. in the grocery business and real estate.

Mr. Saylor is a member of Encampment No. 43, Union
Veteran Legion, and of the Military Order of the Loyal
Legion. He also belongs to Chandler Lodge, No. 227,
F. &: A. M. For over twenty years he has been a trus-
tee of the First Presbyterian Church.

Howard B. Saylor, until 1907 junior member of the
firm of B. & J. Saylor, was born at Philadelphia in
1860. He accompanied his father, John Saylor, to Read-
ing, and there received his education in the public and
high schools. In 1876 he entered the grocery as clerk,
and continued in that, capacitv, carefully mastering bus-
iness methods in general and the details of the groc-
ery business in particular. At his father's death in 1888,
he succeeded him as a member of the firm. In 1904
he was elected vice-president of the Colonial Trust Com-
pany of Reading.

Mp. Saylor married Lucv TempHn. daughter of the
late Levi Templin, of Reading, and four children have
been born to them : Mary, Lucv, Edward and Josephine.
Mr. Saylor is a member of Chandler Lodge. No. 227,
F. & A. M. ; Excelsior Chapter ; and Reading Com-
mandery, K. T. His religious aflSliation is with the Luth-
eran Church.

HIESTER M. NAGLE, M. D., deceased, for thirty-
five ■ years a physician in Berks county, was engaged
in the practice of his profession in Reading from the
close of the Civil war until his death. During: his
residence in the city he was not only one of the
foremost medical men, but a citizen whose activities
in behalf of her progress and welfare were recognized
and appreciated by all classes.

Dr. Nagle was of German descent — a great-grand-
son of Peter Nagle, who founded the family in Amer-
ica. Peter Nagle settled in Berks county, where his
son, Peter, was born July 11, 1782. The latter mar-
ried Susan Filbert, born April 23. 1785, and they had
five children, namely: John F., Augustus W., Peter
F., Henry and a daughter. The father of this family
died May 2. 1846, and the mother May 26, 1854.

Peter F. Nagle, father of Dr. Hipster M.. was horn 'n
Berks county • in 1808, and died March 25, 1869. He
was a physician and practiced first at Williamsoort,
Pa., later at Milton, this State, thence moving to Read-
ine. He was subsequently located at St. Lon-.s for a
time, but returned to Reading to spend his last years.





^:i!^.^^L^^-




BIOGRAPHICAL



673



To him and his wife, who was ' Miss Catherine E.
Dauphin, of Philadelphia, were born six children, two
dying in childhood. The others, Peter, Hiester M.,
Catherine and Joseph, all reached maturity, but are
now deceased.

Hiester M. Nagle was born at Williamsport, Pa.,
Dec. 23, 1834. in his boyhood he went to school in
Reading, later continuing his studies at Marshall Col-
lege, Mercersburg, and at Kessler's Academy, all Penn-
sylvanian schools. He began his medical studies in
1855 with his father, and later read under the direction
of Dr. Frank Rieser, of Reading. He entered the Med-
ical Department of the University of Pennsylvania,
but after one year changed' to Jefferson Medical Col-
lege, from which institution he was graduated in 1857.
His first two years of practice were passed in Exeter
township, Berks county, whence he went to Fleet-
wood, in the same county, where he was established
at the time the Civil war broke out. On Aug. 14, 1862,
Dr. Nagle left home to join the army as assistant
surgeon of the 11th Pennsylvania Cavalry, and served
until his discharge Aug. 13, 1865. He saw much hard
fighting, participated in the siege of Suffolk, and the
battles of Petersburg, Deep Bottom, Ream's Station,
Richmond, Darbytown Road, Seven Pines, Newmarket
Heights, Five Forks, Deep Creek, Amelia Court House,
and Appomattox Court House. On Dec. 17, 1864, he
was promoted to the rank of surgeon of the regiment,
which rank he held at the time of his discharge.

Returning to Pennsylvania Dr. Nagle settled in
Reading, in which city he passed the remainder of
his life, building up a large and lucrative practice. His
years were filled with faithful and tireless service in the
alleviation of suffering. He was well known to his
fellow practitioners, was a member of the County
Medical Society and the Pathological Society, and
was also a loyal supporter of Masonry, belonging to
various Masonic bodies in Reading, Lodge No. 62,
Chapter No. 152, and Comimandery No. 42. He was
likewise active in politics and found time to give much
personal service to the municipality. He was elected
on the Democratic ticket to the office of county treas-
urer, holding that office from 1874 to 1876, was for two
years a member of the city council, and during his sec-
ond year was its president. In July, 1885, he was ap-
pointed examining surgeon for pensioners. Thus with
his numerous interests, he accomplished an incalculable
amount of good, leaving a record of untiring service
such as few men are able to show. He died Jan. 30,
1893, and the esteem and affection in which he was
held were testified at his funeral, which was the largest
ever known in Reading.

On June 18, 1872, Dr. Nagle married Miss Lucretia
Boyer, daughter of Henry B. Boyer. Their children
were: Harry died at the age of eighteen; Katie died in
infancy; Frank died at the age of five; Howard, a
machinist, m. Elizabeth Buker, and they have two
children, Lucretia and Raymond; Paul; Charles, who
m. Sarah Haage, is one of the firm of the N. & N.
Cigar Company; Hiester C. is also a member of that
fiirm, which consists of the two Nagle brothers and John
G. Niethammer.

Mrs. Nagle comes from a distinguished Berks coun-
ty family. Her grandfather, Daniel Boyer, was the
founder of Boyertown, one of the progressive boroughs
of the county, was the first merchant in the place,
and his descendants still carry on that line of busi-
ness there. Henry B. Boyer, father of Mrs. Nagle, was
so engaged for a time, but moved to Reading, and for
some years was a merchant in that city. Later he
went into the livery business, which he followed until
his retirement. He reached the age of ninety years.
His wife, whose maiden name was Susan Fritz, died
when seventy-two years old. Their children were:
Frank, Mary, Harry. John, George, Howard, and Mrs.
Nagle. Those living are Mrs. Nagle and her brother,
George, the latter a resident of Oak Brook.
43



ALBERT G. BORKERT, well known in Reading,
Pa., as a contractor and builder, was born in that
city in 1835, son of Daniel Borkert, a native of Oley
Valley, and one of the first large contractors of Read-
ing. He had formerly been a brick layer, but took
up contracting in middle life, and many of the fine
residences of the city are evidences of his skill. He also
built the city hall, and a new part of the county jail,
and several public school houses and factories. Mr.
Borkert followed his business until seventy years of
age, and then retired from active work, dying at the
advanced age of eighty years. He married Catherine
Gantz. who died when fifty-eight years of age. Their
children were: William G., deceased; Mary, who m.
a Mr. Sheeler, of Reading; Daniel, deceased; Augustus,
m. to Amanda Brown, and engaged in the contract-
ing business with his brother, Richard; Richard, of
Reading; Albert G; Susan, who died aged thirty-four
years; Amanda, m. to a Mr. Goodman, of Wyomissing,
Berks county; and John, a brick layer, m. to a Miss



Online LibraryMorton L. (Morton Luther) MontgomeryHistorical and biographical annals of Berks County, Pennsylvania, embracing a concise history of the county and a genealogical and biographical record of representative families, comp. by Morton L. Montgomery .. → online text (page 191 of 227)