Morton L. (Morton Luther) Montgomery.

Historical and biographical annals of Berks County, Pennsylvania, embracing a concise history of the county and a genealogical and biographical record of representative families, comp. by Morton L. Montgomery .. online

. (page 193 of 227)
Online LibraryMorton L. (Morton Luther) MontgomeryHistorical and biographical annals of Berks County, Pennsylvania, embracing a concise history of the county and a genealogical and biographical record of representative families, comp. by Morton L. Montgomery .. → online text (page 193 of 227)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


ville, and the following one in New Jersey, but is
now stationed in Boyertown.

JAMES R. TROUT, a prominent citizen of Cumru
township, who is engaged in the stone, lime and sand
business at Shillington, Pa., was born Aug. 15, 1S42,
in Boyertown, Berks county, son of Joseph Z and Marv
Ann (Ruth) Trout.

_ William Trout, grandfather of James R., was born
in Scotland, and in 1811, because of the oppression
of the people in that country, he came to the United



BIOGRAPHICAL



677



States and settled in Berks county, Pa. He enlisted in
the war of 18ia as a substitute for Uthree Snyder,
who was at that time working the Oley furnaces, and
after the war accompanied the Snyders to what is now
Snyder county, Pa., and assisted in the settlement of
that county. While at that place he followed the oc-
cupation of butcher, although his regular trade, at which
he worked the major portion of his life, was that of tan-
ner. His wife was Catherine Schwoyer, of Goshenhop-
pen, Montgomery Co., Pa., a Roman Catholic in relig-
ious faith. Their children were: (1) Joseph Z. (2) Jo^n
lived in Reading, and for many years was a fine mechan-
ic and boiler maker for the Philadelphia & Reading
Company, (3) Greorge, who lived in Reading, was a tail-
or by trade, and in later years removed to Pottstown
and conducted, in connection with his business, the
"Daubs Hotel." He was a prominent candidate for
sheriff of Montgomery county, but suffered defeat on ac-
count of being a new man in the community, (4) Mary
m. William Yerkey, a lamp-black manufacturer of Sny-
der county, (5) Kate m. the Rev. Mr. Wilker, of Gos-
henhoppen, Pa., (6) Polly m. John Kase, a well-known
blacksmith of Goshenhoppen, Pennsylvania.

Joseph Z. Trout was born near Boyertown, Pa.,
April 21, 1817, and came to Cumru township in 1850,
settling near the "Five Mile House." In his youth
he learned the trade of tanner with his father, which
he followed at Boyertown, and at the "Five Mile House"
from 1850 until his death, July 15, 1864. He owned a
valuable property at this place, and was an excellent
workman. Having acquired a good education in the
public schools, and being an excellent penman, he
was often employed to write deeds and agreements,
and became a conveyancer of note. On Feb. .6, 1840,
Mr. Trout married Mary Ann Ruth, daughter of Charles
Ruth, and to them were born children as follows: Hen-
ry, born Aug. 5, 1841, a soldier in the Civil war in Com-
pany E, 165th Pa. V. I. m. Catherine Hornberger; James
R.; Catherine, born April 2, 1853; George, born Oct.
12, 1862. Catherine died aged twelve years and Geo rge^
aged two years, both at the same time, of typhoid
(spotted) fever. Mrs. Trout, who was born March
25, 1821. died March 10, 1894.

James R. Trout was but eight years old when his
father removed to the "Five Mile House,'' Cumru town-
ship, and there the boy attended school for sixteen
months, this being all the schooling that he ever re-
ceived, but nevertheless he managed to obtain a good
education by studying in his spare moments. When
still a mere lad he began to help his father in the tan-
ning business, in which he continued until the elder
Trout's death. In 1876 James R. Trout engaged in
the stone, lime and sand business, in which he has suc-
cessfully continued to the present time near Shillington,
having nine men in his employ and several teams on
the road. He does a large business, burning and selling
annually about 60,000 bushels of lime, and he is also
engaged extensively in the sale of wall stone and sand.
His trade is principally with contractors, but -he also
does business in other places in Cumru township.

Mr. Trout is a well-read man, and converses intel-
ligently on important subjects of the day. He is of
commanding appearance, tall, erect and well-built. In
the fall of 1850, after the great flood of the Schuyl-
kill, he and Thomas Fix were the first from the county
to cross the river on the ferry to get into Reading,
which city was cut off from the rest of the country
west of the river, all of the bridges having been swept
away. He was a training officer during the Civil war,
was well versed in military tactics, and taught many
officers all that they knew, rendering valuable service
to his country in its time of need. In politics he is a
stanch Republican, and at one time was quite active in
public matters. In 1882 he refused the office of internal
revenue collector in his district. He is a man of enter-
prise and public spirit, and when the movement to in-
corporate Shillington into a borough was brought
forward, he was one of its stanchest supporters. He



owns a large frame residence on Lancaster avenue,
which he built in 1888.

On Dec. 12, 1868, Mr. Trout was married to Sarah
Zellers, daughter of Jonas and Catherine (Sallada)
Zellers, and granddaughter of William Zellers. Mr. and
Mrs. Trout have only one daughter, Maggie T., m. to
John F. Weiss, by whom she has two daughters, Helen
and Marguerite.

BENNEVILLE M. GAUL, who is now living re-
tired in his fine residence on Lancaster avenue, Shil-
lington, Pa., was for a number of years a well known
agriculturist and contractor of Berks county, and is
now prominent in public affairs. Mr. Gaul was born
Jan. 7, 1849, on the Gaul homestead in Cumru township,
Berks county, son of Adam and Sarah (Matz) Gaul.

Johannes Gaul, the great-grandfather of Benneville
M., was born in Germany, in the Pfaltz of Hebelbeim,
Germany, Dec. 18, 1739, and emigrated to America in
1764 or 1770, being rated a large property owner in
Cumru in 1785. He was married Sept. 4, 1767, to
Barbara Arbogastin, who was from a town on the
Rhine in Germany, and was born Nov. 13, 1742, and
died Sept. 22, 1818. Johannes Gaul died on his farm
Feb. 21, 1816, and from the inscription on his grave-
stone in the Sinking Spring cemetery we learn that
he had ten children, seven sons and three daughters,
among whom were the following: (1) Peter, born
April 7, 1775, m. Elizabeth Kissinger, and they had
three sons and five daughters. They were married
twenty-five years. He died Sept. 28, 1826, aged fifty-
one years, five months and twenty-one days. (2)
Abraham. (3) William, born June 17, 1780, died
March 30, 1857, m. Rosina Miller, by whom he had
eight children, Solomon, David, Joel, Levi, John W.
and Enoch (twins), Elenora (m. Ben Krick) and
Lydia (m. Daniel Huyett). (4) Christian, born Nov.
17, 1781, who died June 9, 1851, m. Mary Ann Kis-
singer, born in 1795, who died in 1877, and they had
six children. Abra ham (born in 1815, and died in
1891, m. Mary Texter), Christian (born in 1817, died
in 1871), Jacob (born in 1819, died in 1859, m. Mary
Ann Huyett), Mary, (m. Elijah Ruth), Reuben and
Hannah (m. Adam Hain). (5) Jacob is mentioned
below. (6) Johannes. Jr. (7) Georg, born Oct. 15,
1796, died April 22, 1861, m'. March 11. 1826, Catherine
Potteiger (born in 1805 and died in 1860), by whom
he had issue three sons and two daughters.

Jacob Gaul, grandfather of Benneville M., was born
in Cumru township, July 25, 1783, and there he died
Dec. 25, 1832, well advanced in years. Originally he
owned 137 acres of the family homestead, but some
of this he sold, and at the time of his death he held
but eighty-six acres, his estate being valued at $16,-
000. Jacob Gaul m. Catherine Gehret, who was born
March 4, 1784, and died May 27, 1852. She bore him
a number of children, all of whom died young but
Adam, the father of Benneville M., and Eva, m. to
Garson Huyett (born March 5, 1823).

Adam Gaul was born April 5, 1819. in Cumru town-
ship, and died Jan. 30, 1858. He followed agricul-
tural pursuits in his native township, owning the tract
now in the possession of William P. High, was pros-
perous, and at the time of his death left a large estate.
Adam Gaul m. Sarah Matz, daughter of John Matz
(whose wife was a Shoup), and to them were born
children as follows: Eliza, m. to Isaac Miller; Ben-
neville M.; John, a bachelor of Montello, Pa.; and
Sarah, who died in infancy.

Benneville M. Gaul attended the township schools
until seventeen years of age, obtaining a good, prac-
tical education. From youth he lived upon the farm
until 1898, when he purchased the old Hemmig stand
at Hemmisr's Corner. Here he continued to reside
for several years, and then, in 1892, bought the old Matz
farm of sixty-six acres, near Mohnton. After six
years upon this farm, Mr. Gaul sold out to Irvin
Phillips in 1898, and in 1901 built his present resi-
dence on Lancaster avenue, Shillington, a large, sub-



678



HISTORY OF BERKS COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



stantial, two-story frame structure. Mr. Gaul also
owns seven other good houses in Shillington, and a
number of building lots, and since his retirement
from agricultural pursuits he has erected fourteen
houses in the borough, also assisting in other ways
to build up and improve the community.

In political matters Mr. Gaul is a stanch Democrat,
and has been very active in the work of his party in
this part of the county. He has been elected assessor,
registry assessor and school director of his town-
ship, being placed in the latter office by the largest
majority ever given any candidate for any office in
the township. He being a member of the minority
party in the district, his election and subsequent re-
elections testify to his popularity as a man and effi-
ciency as an official. Mr. Gaul is now a leading can-
didate for the office of county commissioner, and it is
very probable that he will be elected to this important
position by a handsome majority, his past spotless
record being considered. Mr. Gaul and his family are
regular members of Emanuel Reformed Church of
Shillington, he having been a deacon_ thereof for mariy
years, and a member of the buildinc committee in
1873, when the church was erected.

On March 3, 1877, Mr. Gaul married Sarah Kegerise,
daughter of Benjamin and Anna (Binkley) Kegerise,
and granddaughter of William and Sarah (Yorkey)
Kegerise. To this union there were born fourteen
children, as follows: Lillie A. m. Andrew Burkhart;
Frank P. m. Ida Ruth; John A.; George H. m. Mary
KoUer; Sarah E. died in infancy; Ida L.; William
B. died in infancy; Laura A.; Mamie M.; Charles H.;
Katie A.; Bessie M.;, Jacob A., and Eliza R.

ANDREW S. BOYER, a retired box manufacturer
of Reading, Pa., and an honored veteran of the great
Civil war, was born in Upper Bern township, Berks
county, April 3, 1833, son of Andrew Boyer.

Andrew Boyer, the father, was a farmer in Upper
Bern township, owning two farms, of two hundred
and thirty acres, respectively, situated about one mile
above Bern station. He was also a carpenter by trade,
and followed that occupation in conjunction with his
agricultural pursuits. He died at the age of seventy-
five years, and his wife, who had been Catherine
Schlappich, at the age of seventy-eight. Mr. Boyer was
a Lutheran in his religious belief, and a Democrat
in political matters. His children were: Rebecca, m.
to George A. Wagner; Susan, m. to Josiah Linde-
muth; Lovinia, m. to Reuben Reiss; and Andrew S.

Andrew S. Boyer attended the district schools of
Bern township and an academy at Morgantown, Pa.,
and in 1851 began business as a clerk at Centreport,
Berks county, remaining there for a period of three
years. He then held a like position at Shartlesville,
and after a period of seven years here enlisted in
Company I, 179th Pa. V. I., his term of enlistment ex-
piring Aug. 1, 1863. Returning to Centreport he was
engaged for two and one-half years as a clerk, and
he then went to Bernville, where he engaged in business
with Frank Rick, under the firm name of Boyer & Rick
for two years, at the end of which time Mr. Boyer
purchased his partner's interest and continued the
business eight years. In 1876 Mr. Boyer came to Read-
ing, and began making cigar boxes by hand, in this
way building up a good local trade. For about two
years he had his place of business at his home, and he
then purchased a three horse-power engine. He took
into partnership Mr. George W. Heilig, and in 1886
they built a factory at Cedar and Walnut streets, at
first employing only eight men. The business grew
rapidly and at the time of his retirement in April,
1906, the firm was employing from twenty-five to thirty
hands. The factory was 70x30 feet, three stories and
cellar. In his line of work Mr. Boyer was very well
known throughout the city. Since his retirement he
has resided. at his home No. 819 Elm street.



Mr. Boyer married Matilda Ludwig, daughter of
John and Sarah (Blatt) Ludwig, and to this union
were born ten children, of whom these survive: Frank
J:, in the publishing business in Reading, m. Priscilla
Heilig, and had children — Ella, Howard, James, Irwin,
Lawrence, Harry, William, Edward and Charles (who
died in infancy); Sallie A. m. Howard J. Ritler, a
draughtsman at the Philadelphia & Reading shops, and
had three children — Tillie E., Lillian (deceased) and
Helen B.; Katie A. m. Henry Rauenzahn, a foreman
painter at the Philadelphia & Reading shops, and has
two children — Ella A. and Jennie E.; and Thomas W,,
junior member of the firm of Speer & Boyer, dealers
in general merchandise at Bangor, Northampton coun-
ty, m. Jennie Speer.

M'r. Boyer is a Republican in politics, and while in
Bernville served on the school board and as inspector.
He belongs to St. Paul's United Evangelical Church,
serving on the building committee, as a member of the
board of trustees since the erection of the church, as
class leader for four years, and as assistant class leader
for two years. Among Mr. Boyer's most highly-
prized possessions is a cane, made and decorated by
himself while in camp during the war. The carving on
this cane, which is very elaborate, was done by Mr.
Boyer principally with a pen-knife and a piece of glass.

SNYDER. The Snyder family in Albany township,
Berks county, is descended from Philip Snyder, who
moved to that district from Bloomsburg, Pa. He was
a wood worker and farmer. His wife's maiden name
was Stabler. They had four children — Daniel, m. to
Rebecca Zehner; Mrs. John Haring; Rachel; and
Bevvy, who never married.

Daniel Snyder, only son of Philip was a wheel-
wright by trade, and cultivated a farm in Albany
now owned by Mrs. Lewis Bailey. He was a Luth-
eran member of New Bethel (Corner) Church where
he and his family are all buried. His wife Rebecca
was a daughter of Philip Zehner. They had the fol-
lowing children — ■William; Jesse died young; Daniel;
Mary died unmarried; and Moses.

Moses Snyder, son of Daniel, was born in 1836,
and lives at the Blue Mountains where he owns a
small well-watered farm, on which he built a house
in 1909. He m. (first) Harriet Wen, by whom he
had a son, William, and daughters, Jane, Mary, Annie
and Kate. By his second wife Emma Lutz, widow
of Joseph Fry, he has a son Robert,

William Snyder, son of Daniel, was born in 1823,
and died in 1906, aged eighty-three years, and is
buried at Snyder's Evangelical Association. He was
a wheelwright and carpenter by trade, and was an
excellent wood-worker and mechanic. He made his
home in Albany. His wife Phoebe Evans, was a
daughter of Thomas Evans, of Chester county. Pa.
They had children: James E.; Daniel; William;
Thomas; Margaret m. Jesse Kamb, of Eckville. in
Albany; Lydia m. James Nester, of Albany; and Jane
m. William Greenawalt.

James E. Snyder is a well known farmer in Albany
township where he was born July 7, 1845, son of
William. When twenty years old he was licensed
to teach in the public schools by Prof,, John S. Er-
mentrout, and taught three terms in Albany, In 1874-
he began larming on his father-in-law's farm, where
he has since lived. This farm of 130 acres he pur-
chased. He is a Democrat, has served as school
director thirteen years, and was secretary of the board
ten years. He is a leading member of Snyder's Evan-
gelical Church, and was class-leader and exhorter,
and superintendent of the Sunday-school which has a
membership of fifty people. He married Catharine
Miller, daughter of Christian Miller, and they have
had five children, namely: Jefferson, of Albany, hag
children— Ida, Viola, Lottie, Carl, and Roy; Jacob
lives near Drehersville, Pa.; Monroe, of Albany town-
ship, has children— Minnie, William, Bertha, Verna



BIOGRAPHICAL



679



Pearl, Paul and Roy; William died small; and Ida
m. Harvey J.- Kunkel, a farmer near Virginville, Pa.,
and they have Velma and Freelie.

STUMP. The Stump family, now represented in
Maxatawny township, Berks county, by Calvin S.
Stump, a successful teacher in the public schools, and
Jacob H. Stump, his brother, a leading undertaker,
is one of the oldest in this part of the State.

(I) Henry George Stump emigrated from his home
in Germany when he was twenty-eight years of age,
crossing the Atlantic on the ship "Edinburgh" and
landing at Philadelphia, Oct. 2, 1753. A land warrant
dated Sept. 4, 1754, shows that George Stump pur-
chased from Philip Maurer a tract of 200 acres (by es-
timation) of land, located in Albany township, Berks
county, for 575 pounds "of lawful money to him in
hand given." This warrant which appears in Deed
Book 7, Page 12, was not recorded until Nov. 6, 1778.
In 1759 when the first tax of Albany township was lev-
ied, William Stump paid five pounds; and Daniel Stump
is given on the same list as being under twenty-one
years old. These two, William and Daniel, may have
been sons of the emigrant, Henry George; but of
two of his sons, John and Henry, there is definite
record.

(II) John Stump, son of Henry George, had four
sous, Jonas, Samuel, Daniel and Amos, and these all
settled down to pioneer life in Albany township.

(III) Jonas Stump, son of John, became the father
of three sons, Benjamin, Samuel and Henry.

- (IV) Henry Stump, son of Jonas, was born in Al-
bany township, Jan. 6, 1825, and died in Lynn town-
ship, Lehigh county, Oct. 23, 1890. where for some
time he had been engaged in farming. He married
Rachel Klingeman, daughter of Michael KHngeman,
and they had children as follows: Emanuel; John K. ;
Elias P. m. Alice Ebert; Emma m. Moses Handwork,
and died at Kutztown, Oct. S', 1907; James died aged
twenty-eight years; Daniel m. Jane Heintzleman; and
Mary died aged thirty years.

(V) John K. Stump, son of Henry, was born in
Albany township, Berks county, Nov. 25, 1853. He is
one of the best known residents of Maxatawny town-
ship, where he resides in a pleasant home built by
himself on Park avenue, Kutztown, adjoining the
home of his ' son, Calvin S. In building this home
Mr. Stump made use of the lumber of the historic
old "Watch Haus" which was erected prior to 1760 on
his grandfather's property in Albany township as a
protection for the pioneer settlers against the Indians.
By trade John K. Stump is a carpenter, and at this he
has worked all his life with the exception of about
fifteen years which he devoted to farming. At the
present time he is interested in the manufacture of
cement building blocks. In 1875 he married Catherine
Leibensperger, daughter of Jacob and Caroline (Fether-
olf) Liebensperger, granddaughter of Jonathan Liebens-
perger, and great-granddaughter of Mathias Liebens-
perger. To John K. Stump and wife were born children
as follows: Calvin S.; Ellen Jane, who is running a
successful millinery business at the Park avenue home;
Jacob H.; Curtin D., a graduate of the Ruourard Train-
ing School for Embalmers, New York City, and the
holder of a New York State License as embalmer, and
now engaged as an undertaker and embalmer at Fleet-
wood (he m. Alice Kiefer); Alfred M., a graduate of
the Keystone State Normal School, class of 1903, and
,of Muhlenberg College, class of 1908, and now a

student at Mt. Airy Theological Seminary, Phila-
delphia; (ilara, who is engaged in dressmaking at
home; and James W., now (1909) a junior at the
Keystone State Normal School.

(VI) Calvin S. Stump attended the public schools
of Albany township, and later the Keystone State
Normal School, from which he graduated in June, 1901.
In the fall of 1897 he began teaching school in Albany



township, and after his graduation, he taught the Lyons
grammar school for four terms, the Eagle Point school
one term, and the home school at Swoyer's the past
three years, and he has the reputation of being a
thorough instructor.

On Dec. 25, 1903, Mr. Stump married Mamie Hen-
gey, daughter of Wilson and Elizabeth (Brentzinger)
Hengey, and granddaughter of Reuben Hengey. She
was the eldest of her father's children, the others be-
ing Minnie and Stella. Mr. and Mrs. Stump have
a daughter. Norma Grace, born Oct. 26, 1906. Mr.
Stump is a member of Lodge No. 634, I. O. O. F.,
of Lyons; the Jr. O. U. A. M., No. 1004; and the
K. O. T. M., of Kutztown. He and his wife _ are
consistent members of the Maxatawny Lutheran (Zion)
Church, where he was confirmed. In politics he is a
Democrat, and like his grandfather, father and broth-
ers, seldom fails to cast his ballot on election day
to aid in that party's success. *

(VI) Jacob H. Stump, the leading undertaker of
Kutztown, was born Jan. 17, 1881, in the old Watch
House mentioned above. When he was a year old his
parents moved into Maxatawny township, locating near
Shofer's postoffice. He was reared on the home
farm, and commenced his education in the local schools,
completing it at the Keystone State Normal School.
After leaving school he learned cabinet making with
Tilghmah De Long, at -Topton, Pa., in whose employ
he remained for two and one-half years. Then he went
to New York City, and attended the U. S. School of
Embalming, from which he graduated with high
standing, April 19, 1902, and in the same year he came
to Kutztown. He embarked in the undertaking busi-
ness and by close and careful attention to every part
of his business, he has won the confidence and esteem
of his fellow citizens and is firmly established as a
business man. He is a member of the State Undertak-
ers Association, and has held a license since 1906.

On April 3, 1903, Mr. Stump married Mattie T.
Heffner, daughter of Levi and Hettie (Stump) Heff- .
ner (See Hefifner family history elsewhere). To this
union has been born one daughter, Edna Mae. Mr.
Stump is a Lutheran member of Maxatawny Zion
Church, and Mrs. Stump belongs to St. John's Church,
Kutztown (Reformed). Mr, Stump is fraternally con-
nected with I. O. O. F., No. 634, Lyons; K. G. E.,
No. 70, Kutztown; and Jr. O. U. A M., No. 1004.
Kutztown.

JOSEPH S. BECKER, of Reading, is a scion of a
family whose long residence in the State of Pennsyl-
vania is indicated by the fact that the name has been
perpetuated in the town of Beckersville, in Berks county.

Jacob Becker, grandfather of Joseph S.. established
the post office in the community and the place was
named for him. He was for many years engaged in ho-
tel keeping, and both the old hotel and the "Sorrel
Horse Hotel" were built and managed by him. Each place
had farming land attached to it, and Mr. Becker oper-
ated the farms as well as the hotels. He died at the
age of eighty, leaving a large family, viz.: Eli; Mrs.
Samuel Frey; Mrs. Daniel Brown; Mrs. Lizzie Gabel-
Mrs. G. N. Frey, deceased; Jacob, deceased; Frank, of
Doe Run, Chester county; Samuel, deceased; and Mrs.
John Lutro.

Eli Becker, father of Joseph S., was born in Berks
county, and received a common school education. He
learned the trade of a butcher and followed that for
a few years in Chester county. From' there he removed
to Maiden-creek township, Berks county, and went
into the business so long followed by his father, hotel-
keeping, continuing there eight years. Both there and
m Chester county he also acted as auctioneer, and was
well known m that capacity for a long time. After leav-
ing the hotel Mr. Becker came to Reading and estab-
hshed himself here in the nursery business, which en-
grossed his attention up to the time of his death. He



680



HISTORY OF BERKS COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



is buried in the Charles Evans cemetery. Mr. Becker
married B. A.Landis, born March 21, 1824, daughter of
E. W. Landis, and a family of eight children was born
to them: Catherine m. Henry M. De Turck, of Temple,
Berks county; Jacob H. is a blacksmith; William H.
is in the West; Joseph S.; Samuel H. is a resident and
ex-mayor of Cheyenne, Wye; E. H. is editor of the
Billings Gazette in Billings, Mont.; Franklin is a painter
in Reading; and Clara died aged twenty-eight years.
The mother died at the age of sixty-five years.

Joseph S. Becker was born in Chester county, Pa.,



Online LibraryMorton L. (Morton Luther) MontgomeryHistorical and biographical annals of Berks County, Pennsylvania, embracing a concise history of the county and a genealogical and biographical record of representative families, comp. by Morton L. Montgomery .. → online text (page 193 of 227)