Morton L. (Morton Luther) Montgomery.

Historical and biographical annals of Berks County, Pennsylvania, embracing a concise history of the county and a genealogical and biographical record of representative families, comp. by Morton L. Montgomery .. online

. (page 196 of 227)
Online LibraryMorton L. (Morton Luther) MontgomeryHistorical and biographical annals of Berks County, Pennsylvania, embracing a concise history of the county and a genealogical and biographical record of representative families, comp. by Morton L. Montgomery .. → online text (page 196 of 227)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


and breaking his neck while running; and Elizabeth
is deceased.

Mr. Borkert was a Democrat and served on the com-
mon council, representing the Third ward. The family
attended Grace Lutheran Church. In April, 1861, at
the call for troops, Mr. Borkert enlisted in Company
G, 7th Pa. V. I., for three months' service, was mus-
tered in at Harrisburg, and went with his regiment to
Chambersburg, Greensburg, Williamsport, Millersburg
and Charleston, and was there discharged, returning
to Harrisburg, where he was mustered out of service
and returned to Reading. Mr. Borkert was laid to
rest in Aulenbach cemetery. His widow resides at the
Penn street home.

A. L. FRAME, who for some years has been promi-
nently identified with the iron interests of Berks county.



Pa., is now proprietor of the Grey Iron Foundry, for-
merly the Old Ege Foundry, in Reading. Mr. Frame
was born in 1864, in Reading, son of Conrad and Catha-
rine (Marx) Frame. [For detailed history of the
earlier generations of the family, see sketch of Charles
N. Frame].

After completing his education in the public schools
of his native city, Mr. Frame entered the employ of
Glaser, Frame & Co., formerly the Seneca Cigar Com-
pany, as a clerk in the shipping department of the
Rochester branch, and later took charge of the sales-
men, practically having control of the firm's interests
at Rochester during his eighteen months stay. He then
returned to Reading and took charge of his father's
coal yard, which he conducted from 1888 until 1896, in
the latter year removing to Fifth and Willow streets,
where he took charge of another yard. In 1903 Mr.
Frame located at the Old Ege Foundry, which busi-
ness was in such a condition that it needed a firm,
strong hand to guide it to success, and this was fur-
nished by Mr. Frame, who was able to establish one
of the finest businesses of its kind in the county. The
firm, which manufactures light hardware specialties,
employs eighty-five people in its several departments —
foundry, galvanizing, plating, japanning and polishing —
and enjoys a large, steady trade throughout the
country. In 1904 Mr. Frame also established the Globe
Lawn Mower & Manufacturing Company, being made
president thereof, and in his new, up-to-date factory,
which is equipped with the finest machinery to be ob-
tained, he manufactures a high-grade, ball-bearing lawn
mower. This utensil is superior in many ways to
others, and Mr. Frame has a number of patents on
the improved parts. Mr. Frame is enterprising and
energetic, and he is favorably known in business and
social circles.

In 1888 Mr. Frame was married to Lillie Edwards,
daughter of John Edwards, and to this union there have
been born two children: Edith and Clarence L. Mr.
Frame is a member of Chandler Lodge No. 227; Ex-
celsior Chapter; Lodge of Perfection; Reading Com-
mandery, K. T.; and Rajah Temple, A. A. O. N. M. S.
In politics he is a Republican.

W. E. MILLS, a leading citizen of Reading, Pa., serv-
ing as a member of the common council from the Sixth
ward of the city, was born in Reading, Sept. 26, 1853,
son of Allen and Mary Ann (Swartz) Mills, the former
of Wilmington, Del., and the latter of Cumru town-
ship, Berks county. Pennsylvania.

The grandfather of W. E. Mills was born in Eng-
land, and came to America in early life, locating at
Wilmington, Del., where he engaged in the manu-
facture of paper. He and his wife were the parents of
children as follows: Thomas, deceased, was a manufac-
turer of Philadelphia; John; May J. m. Thomas Ander-
son; Elizabeth m. Samuel Lengel; and Allen. In re-
ligious belief the family were connected with the
Episcopal Church. It is believed that Mr. Mills was a
Whig in politics.

Allen Mills, father of W. E., was educated in the
schools of Delaware, whence he came to Reading, and
here for twenty-two years was engaged as an employe
of the Mellert Foundry and Machine shop. His next
employment was with the Scott works, and he also
engaged in pattern-making. Mr. Mills died in 1888, and
his wife, Mary Ann Swartz, died in 1900. aged about
seventy-three years. Allen Mills was a member of
Continental Lodge, I. O. O. F., and of the Pilgrim's
Circle. He was well known in Reading, and highly
esteemed by all who had business dealings with h'm.

W. E. Mills was educated in the schools of Reading,
and as a youth learned the machinist's trade at Mellerts
and McKurseys foundries. On completing his appren-
ticeship he went to Kansas and settled upon a claim of
160 acres in Solomon Valley, but returned in 1875 after
two years in the country. Upon his return he found



BIOGRAPHICAL



687



employment with the Rolland & Francis machine shop
on Cherry and Carpenter streets, continuing there until
the following winter, when he engaged at the Mellert
foundry, continuing there for a short time. Mr. Mills
then entered the employ of the J. H. Sternbergh Com-
pany, continuing there for twenty-two years, eight
years of that time being foreman machinist, and the
last three years master mechanic. He then went to
Lebanon, where he served in the same capacity for the
American Steel & Iron Company, but in September,
1900 went to work at the Johnson foundry, where he
was employed a short time as foreman, and he is now
with the American Iron & Steel Company,. Reading.

On April 26, 1882, Mr. Mills was married to Miss
Esther B. Sobinson, born in Reading of Scotch parents,
and to this union there were born three children: Willie
R., who died aged seven weeks; Jennie M., and Esther
A. Miss Jennie M. Mills is a graduate of the Girls'
high school, where she took the alumni medal for her
essay on Literature. Mrs. Mills is a Baptist. Mr. Mills
is connected with the Improved Order of Americans,
and was formerly connected with the I. O. O. F. In
his political belief he is a stanch Republican, and on
that party's ticket he was elected, in April, 1906, a
member of the common council from the Sixth ward.
He has always taken a great interest in ward politics,
and is therefore thoroughly acquainted with the needs
of his community. He is thoroughly capable and de-
serving of a seat in the executive body, where he at-
tempts to serve his city and his constituents in a faithful
manner.

John Robinson, father of Mrs. Mills, was born in
Scotland, and came to America when a young man, first
settling in New York City. Before the Civil war, how-
ever, he had come to Reading, and here he enlisted in
Company B, 50th Pa. V. I., and was killed while in
active service in the battle of Spottsylvania, and was
buried in North Carolina. He married Miss Esther
Douglas, also a native of Scotland. She died in Read-
ing. Pa., in November, 1894, and is buried in the
Charles Evans cemetery. Mr. and Mrs. Robinson had
children as follows: James, who served as a corporal
in the Civil war, arid died in New York City; Mary
died unmarried; Matilda m. Henry Eyrich; William
lives in Reading; Annie m. James Werts, of Reading;
and Esther B., the youngest, now Mrs. W. E. Mills,
never saw her father.

MAGNUS MELLERT, for many years a well-known
foundryman in Reading, was a native of Germany,
born in Schwartzwald, Baden, and his death occurred
in this city in 1890.

John Mellert. father of Magnus, left Germany in
1832, and coming to America established himself in
Reading, where his wife and family joined him seven
years later. He was a locksmith by trade, an expert
workman, and is said upon good authority to have made
all the locks for the old Berks county courthouse.
As time went on he accumulated sufficient means to
go into the sheet iron and stove business, as one of
the firm of Mellert & Sheeler, and the enterprise
proved so successful that they launched out in other
lines. They established a foundry and machine shop
which they conducted with most satisfactory results
until 1873, when the panic of that year compelled them
to cease operations. John Mellert married Miss Mary
Henderslcarich, also of German birth and ancestry, and
they had children as follows: Arnold; Charles; Magnus;
Constantina, who became the wife of John Sheeler,
now deceased, and who resides in Baltimore, Md.; and
Otto. The family were devout Catholics.

Magnus Mellert was only a boy when his mother
brought him to America, and as his father was in those
earlier years in limited circumstances, the son received
only a meager education. While still very young for
such work he was placed in his father's shop,' and there



toiled early and late, as did his brothers also. But
this hard toil brought its just reward, and as the fath-
er's business interests enlarged the son prospered with
him. Magnus remained in association with his father
until the latter shut down his factory in 1873, and then'
opened up a machine shop of his own. His business
grew steadily, and he was one of Reading's substan-
tial men of affairs at the time of his death, in 1890.

In 1854 Magnus Mellert married Ludema, daughter
of John and Catherine (Close) Philipi, and granddaugh-
ter of Jacob Close. To this union were born three
children, namely: John, deceased; Emma, deceased;
and Addie, m. to Thomas Moore, a prosperous cigar
and tobacco merchant of Reading. There are three
grandchildren, namely: Lillie, the wife of Robert Heil-
man, a shoe merchant on Penn street; Robert; and
Ludema. While Mrs. Mellert was a devout member
of St. James Lutheran Church, her husband adhered
to the faith of his fathers, and remained in the Catho-
lic Chutch, where he served for many years as chori-
ster.

ABRAHAM S. RAUDENBUSH, M. D., of Reading,
Pa., was born July 24, 1841, in Montgomery county, son
of Abraham and Mary (Scholl) Raudenbush, and a
grandson of George and Mary (Gearhart) Raudenbush.

George Raudenbush, great-grandfather of Dr. A. S.,
came to America from Germany, and settled in Bucks
county, near Sellersville. He was a farmer and shoe-
maker by occupation, and there spent the remainder
of his life. He had two sons, Peter and George.

George Raudenbush, son of the emigrant George, was
educated in the schools of Bucks county and early took
to agricultural piirsuits. following these successfully
throughout his life. After his death his wife resided
with a daughter, Mrs. Harriet Althouse. He was the
father of ten children, as follows: Jacob, George, Abra-
ham, Samuel, Jesse, Enos, Sallie (m. Jacob Cressman,
of Bucks county), Harriet (m. Thomas Althouse),
Matilda (m. John Clymer), and Elizabeth (m. a Mr.
Leida). In religious belief the family were members
of the Reformed Church. Mr. Raudenbush was a
Democrat. He died in 1848, aged about eighty years,
and his wife in 1852, when seventy-seven years old.

Abraham Raudenbush received but a meagre educa-
tion in the schools of Bucks county. He was reared
to farming pursuits, and carried on farming near Sel-
lersville, later removing to the edge of Montgomery
county, and there remained for several years. He later
went to Sellersville, and there purchased the old Abra-
ham SchuU farm, on which he continued to live until
1863, when he sold the farm, retired and in 1882 moved
to Reading .to reside with his son. He died in 1892,
aged eighty-eight years. His wife died in 1882, aged
seventy-six years, the mother of six children: One
daughter died in infancy; James is deceased; Elizabeth,
deceased, was the wife of Enos Rosenberger, of Kutz-
town; Mary married Jacob Trucksess, and lives in
Montgomery county; Abraham S.; and Louisa died
in infancy. Mr. Raudenbush was a member of the
Reformed Church, in which he was deacon and elder.
In politics he was a Democrat.

Dr. Abraham S. Raudenbush was educated primari-
ly in the schools of Montgomery county and took ad-
vanced studies at Freeland Seminary (now Ursinus
College. Early in life he evidenced a desire for the
medical profession, and read medicine under Keeler &
Groff of Montgomery county and remaining with them
two years, when he entered Jefferson Medical College
of Philadelphia, graduating with the class of 1863, with
the degree of M. D. His first field of practice was
Adamstown, Lancaster county, where he remained
eighteen years, and he then located in Reading, open-
ing an office at No. 233 South Fourth street. After
four years spent at this .office, the Doctor removed to
his present location and here he has been actively
engaged in practice. The Doctor was for some years



688



HISTORY OF BERKS COUNTY. PENNSYLVANIA



a member of the medical staff of the Reading Hos-
pital, being one of the iirst to hold that position after
the hospital opened its doors to the public, and he
continued in that capacity until 1903, when he retired.
He still retains his position, however, on the staff of
examiners of students for resident physicians. He
is connected with the Reading and Berks countj'
medical societies and the Pennsylvania Medical As-
sociation, as well as the American Medical Associa-
tion. He was formerly a member of the Lehigh Val-
ley Medical Association, which meets but once a year
for the benefit of the public, and was a Tri-Coun:y
Sensorial District for Schuylkill, Berks and Montgom-
ery counties. The Doctor is fraternally connected with
the Royal Arcanum. In politics he is a Democrat,
but is broad and liberal in his views.

In 1865 Dr. Raudenbush married Miss Sarah Stauf-
fer, daughter of Henry Stauffer, of Lancaster county,
and one child was born to this union: Charles H., who
is a druggist of Reading, keeping one of the finest
pharmacies in the city.

DR. LOT BENSON. The late Dr. Benson was known
in the latter part of his life as one of Reading's success-
ful business men, but as a young mian he had studied and
practised medicine. His life covered the greater part of
the nineteenth century, and its long record was that of a
useful and venerable citizen, who had merited and won the
respect and esteem of all who knew him.

Dr. Benson was born in Reading Oct. 1, 1802, and after
attending the Reading Academy he began his preparation
for the medical profession. He took the course offered in
the Jefferson Medical College, at Philadelphia, and after
receiving his degree practised for some years in Reading,
meeting with considerable success. He found, however,
that his tastes inclined him more to the commercial
world than to the professional, and a few years later
relinquished the practice of medicine and turned hiS
attention to mercantile pursuits. For a number of years
he was so engaged at Womelsdorf. In 1845 he came to
Reading, and was in the iron business with Eckert &
Bro., continuing with them for the remainder of his
active life, but his last few years he spent retired from
active responsibilities and cares. He died in 1883.

In 1829 Dr. Benson married Miss Eliza Eckert, daughter
of Peter Eckert, of Womelsdorf, a member of one of the
early families of that district. Four children were born of
this union, namely: (1) David E., a well-known ironmaster
connected with the Donegal Furnace, at Marietta, Lan-
caster county. Pa., died June 17, 1901. He was a man of
high standing, and was much interested in all philanthropic
work. He gave the ground for the Hope Rescue Mis-
sion, and proved his interest in many ways. (2) Susan E.
(3) Mary C. died in 1873. (4) Rebecca H. died in 1848.
The wife and mother passed away in 1869, at the age of
sixty-two years. Both she and the Doctor were members
, of the Presbyterian Church, in which for forty years he
served efficiently as elder. A staunch Republican in prin-
ciple, he nevertheless concerned himself with public affairs
only as a good citizen, never as a politician. The family
was one highly respected in Reading, and active in var-
ious fields.

ABRAHAM HEFFNER, a retired resident of Rich-
mond township, Berks county, who was for many
years engaged in farming in that section, was born
on the old Heffner homestead near Virginville, July
20, 1836.

Heinrich Haeffner, great-grandfather of Abraham,
and his wife Maria Eva Kelchner, to whom he was
married Nov. 28, 1752, were the progenitors of this
family in Berks county, Pa. He was probably the
Henry Haffner who came in the ship "Patience" from
the Palatinate and the Grand Duchy of Wurtemberg
with 270 other -passengers, sailing from Rotterdam,
via Cowes, Sept. 19, 1749. His family of six children
were: Johann Heinrich, Hans Georg, Eva Catharine,



Elizabeth, Eva Magdalena and Catharine. Heinrich
Haffner was a son of Andreas, of Eberstadt, a town
four miles south of Darmstadt, Germany. In 1753, the
year of his marriage, he established himself, about three-
quarters of a mile south of Virginville, on the land now
owned by Richard G. Trexler. He brought with him
from Germany a box containing many old papers, and
was probably a weaver by trade, as he reserved "den
Webstuhl und das Geschirr dazu" in an agreement
with his son, Heinrich, made April 13, 1784.

Johann Heinrich Heffner, grandfather of Abraham,
was born Nov. 23, 1754, aiid died June 27, 1825. He
was the first born of his parents, and was a farmer in
Richmond township, living on his father's land, which
was acquired by patent from the Commanwealth in
1784. He married Anna Katherinfe Kohler, daughter
of John and Anna Maria Kohler, of Greenwich town-
ship. They had ten children, namely: Daniel; John;
Henry; Abraham; Samuel; Solomon; Polly, who was
lame and died single aged sixty-six years; Kate, m.
to Lansing Knapp, of West Penn township, Schuylkill
county; Hannah, m. to Daniel UnderkofHer, of Mohrs-
ville; and Jacob. While Heinrich Heffner was a pris-
oner during the Revolutionary war, he was confined
in a church in New Jersey, and there a great-uncle of
Samuel Heffner, of Moselem Springs, was frozen to
death. The following is a copy of a valuable paper
now in possession of one of the descendants in Berks
county: "Whereas, Heinrich Heffner of Jacob Baldy's
company in Col. Philip Gehr's Battalion has made
complaint to us, the Subscribers, Commissioners of
said county that he could not attend at the Muster and
Field days in 1777 and 1778, he being a Prisoner of War
and not exchanged, and we find his complaint just, do
therefore agreeable to an act of Assembly acquit and
exhonerate the said Heinrich Heffner from fine which
might have incurred from not attending said Muster
and Field days. Given under our Hands, the fourth
day of October, in the year of Our Lord, One thous-
and, seven hundred and ninety. (Signed) John Keim,
Henry Speyker, Jacob Beyer."

Abraham Heffner, father of Abraham, who was a
farmer and lifelong resident of Richmond township,
was born in 1798, and died in 1854. He was the owner
of the original Heffner homestead about three-quar-
ters of a mile south of Virginville. He married Polly
Kerchner, born in 1801, daughter of Godleib Kerchner,
of Greenwich township. She died in the seventy-sixth
year of her age. To them were born these children:
Isaac, who died single, was a farmer of Richmond '
township; Elizabeth m. Charles Zettelmoyer, also a
farmer of Greenwich township; Polly died single, aged
seventy-three years; Sarah died in infancy; Anna m.
Samuel Boyer, a "stone mason of Richmond township,
later of Denver, Columbia Co., Pa., where they died;
Susanna died single, aged fifty-one years; Daniel was a
carpenter and farmer of Richmond township; Abra-
ham; Carolina never married; and Samuel died when
twenty-four years old.

Abraham Heffner, son of Abraham and Polly, was
reared on his father's farm, and he followed this
vocation until 1900, when he retired from active life.
He received a limited education in the free school of
his time, but he has since, through observation and
study, become a well educated man. At the age of
forty-two years Abraham Heffner m. Miss Racy Ann
Stoudt, daughter of Benneville and Hettie (Berndt)
Stoudt, of Maiden-creek township. The following
children were born to this union: Mary, m. to John A.
C. Wiesner, a prosperous farmer of Kempton, Pa.,
and Samuel, Sallie and Susanna, at home. In the spring
of 1855, one year after the death of his father, Mr.
Heffner began farming for himself on the Heffner home-
stead, purchasing the farm at appraisement and con-
tmumg thereon until 1880, when he sold this property
and purchased the Reeser farm of eighty-six acres in
Maiden-creek township, continuing thereon for nineteen



'>«




N <




/f^l__




rTCUlr-l, cC_, (b . /\X£^^-t-^^-JD-l^



BIOGRAPHICAL



689



years. On this tract he then discovered an inexhaust-
ible amount of a fine quality of cement stone, for the
handling, of which, a number of leading Reading capi-
talists formed the Reading Cement Company, to which
company Mr. Heffner sold his farm in 1900 for a large
figure. At this time he purchased the large brick resi-
dence in which he and his family are comfortably
situated. Mr. Heflfner is considered one of the sub-
stantial citizens of Richmond township, and is well
known and highly esteemed.

WILLIAM W. SNYDER, who for many years was
engaged extensively in mercantile pursuits in Reading
and throughout Berks county, was born in Ruscomb-
manor township, Berks county, in 1836, son of Jacob
and Barbara (Williams) Snyder, prosperous farming
people of that section. The corner stone in their house
bore the date A. D. 1768.

^yilliam W. Snyder attended the public schools of his
native township and an academy at Boyertown, in
the meantime assisting his father in the duties of the
farm. After leaving school he remained at home for
a short time, and then went to Evansville, where for
a short time he was engaged in clerking, then going
to Bower's Station. At the latter place he engaged in
a general store business, and continued there for two
years, at the end of which time he bought the well-
known and well-established foundry at Kutztown of
Haack & Kline, operating it for a period of one and
one-half years. Mr. Snyder then went to Spangsville,
where he purchased the general store business of a
Mr. Spang, which he conducted for three years, then
coming to Reading. He engaged in the grocery and
dry goods business at Eighth and Penn streets in the
Breneiser building for a period of two years, after which
he engaged in the same business at No. 235 North
Eighth street, the present site of the Schaeffer baking
establishment. After continuing there for a period of
five years, he spent two years in his native township,
and then again came to Reading, locating at No. 204
Eighth street, where Mrs. Snyder lived for twenty-
eight years. Her home is now at No. 547 the same
street, and she owns the valuable property on the cor-
ner of Tenth and Elm streets, now occupied by Mr.
Bland as a shoe store.

After locating at Reading, Mr. Snyder engaged in
business on the corner above mentioned, in partner-
ship with John Hoflfman, the firm being known as
Snyder & Hoffman, and he continued there for fourteen
years. After selling out to Kline & Wann, Mr. Snyder
removed his business to Third and Washington streets
and five years later to Bingaman street. He died on
a quiet Sunday evening, March 5, 1904, and his burial
was at Kutztown. He was a man highly respected
by all who knew him and was beloved and looked up
to by his family.

Mr. Snyder was united in marriage with Louisa R.
Kemp, daughter of the late George G. and Mary
(Yoder) Kemp. She was educated at South Bethlehem
College. The Kemp family is an old and honorable
one, and the name is perpetuated by Kempton, Pa.
The cornerstone in the Kemp homestead on the Kutz-
town and Allentown road is dated A. D. 1765. In this
house was a special room furnished for tramps to sleep
in. The Kemps donated the land for Kutztown paik,
so popular with churches and Sunday-schools, some
times as may as six excursions in a week being run to
this park. George Kemp, grandfather of Mrs. Snyder,
married Catherine Griesmer. Her father, George G.
Kemp, was a life-long farmer of Maxatawny township
and owned valuable property in the vicinity of Kutz-
town. He died at the age of fifty-three years, and his
widow survived to the age of sixty-three. They had
these children: Mrs. Jonathan Grim; David, deceased;
George, who died at Springfield, Ohio; Martin, a resi-
dent of Lyon Station, Berks county; and Louisa R.,
widow of Mr. Snyder.
44



The children of Mr. and Mrs. Snyder were: Howard
K., a resident of Reading; Solon K., a machinist; Ir-
win K., a tailor; Laura E., m. to Walter B, Koch, of
Reading; Estella V., m. to Clyde W. Gray; and Susan
L., m. to Harvey I. Reinby.

FREDERICK A. HINNERSHITZ, for many years
a well-known resident of Reading, Pa., died Aug. 24,
1896, at his home in Riverside. Mr. Hinnershitz was



Online LibraryMorton L. (Morton Luther) MontgomeryHistorical and biographical annals of Berks County, Pennsylvania, embracing a concise history of the county and a genealogical and biographical record of representative families, comp. by Morton L. Montgomery .. → online text (page 196 of 227)