Morton L. (Morton Luther) Montgomery.

Historical and biographical annals of Berks County, Pennsylvania, embracing a concise history of the county and a genealogical and biographical record of representative families, comp. by Morton L. Montgomery .. online

. (page 197 of 227)
Online LibraryMorton L. (Morton Luther) MontgomeryHistorical and biographical annals of Berks County, Pennsylvania, embracing a concise history of the county and a genealogical and biographical record of representative families, comp. by Morton L. Montgomery .. → online text (page 197 of 227)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


born Dec. 4, 1841, in Alsace township, Berks county,
son of Isaac and Rebecca (Harbold) Hinnershitz.

Isaac Hinnershitz, who resided in Alsace township,
was an agriculturist all of his life, and was a good
citizen and much respected by his fellow townsmen.
He married Rebecca Harbold, of that township, and
to them were born a family of eleven children: Hen-
ry, Ann Eliza, Lydia, Mary, Frederick, Jaines, John,
Isaac, William, Amos and Rebecca. In rehgious belief
the family were connected with the Reformed denom-
ination. In politics Mr. Hinnershitz was a Demo-
crat,

Frederick A. Hinnershitz resided on a farm in Bern
township, which was vented of Jacob Bushong by his
father, until twenty-one years of age, and in 1861 or
1862 removed to Riverside, where he continued to
live up to the time of his death, working at the
Reading Hardware Company's works until he entered
the employ of the Carpenter Steel Works. He died
Aug. 4, 1896, in the faith of the Reformed Church,
and was buried at Alsace Church. Mr. Hinnershitz
was a man of many sterling qualities of character,
and on account of them was respected and esteemed
by those who knew him. In his political belief he
was a Democrat.

On Sept. 14, 1861, Mr. Hinnershitz was married to
Cathei-ine Fox, daughter of George and Maria
(Schmeck) Fox, and to this union there was born
one son: James, born March 15, 1862, in Muhlenberg
township, who married Emma Bahn, and has three
children, Mary, Fred and Edith.

LEWIS G. FRITZ, now living at his pleasant res-
idence at Mountain View, was for a number of years
well known to the people of Cumru township, Berks
county, as a leading hotel proprietor.

Miartin Fritz, grandfather of Lewis G. Fritz, owned
the land around the "Center House" (Grill post-office),
in Cumru township, was a blacksmith by trade, and an
early resident of the Yocum's Church district, where
he was buried. He married Catherine Retchja, and to
them were born children as follows: Harry, John and
George, of Lancaster county; Jacob, a blacksmith of
Brecknock township; Martin and Elias, twins, the
latter a blacksmith at Center; Mary, married to Henry
Foreman; Catherine; and Harriet (died in March, 1909),
married to Cyrus Strohl, of Lancaster county. All of
the sons in this family learned the blacksmith's trade,
and all are deceased.

Martin Fritz, the father of Lewis G., was born Aug.
11, 1806, in Cumiru township, and died at Shillington.
just four days before his eighty-fourth birthday. For
many years he was a farmer in Cumru township, where
he owned considerable land, but several years were
spent at Wernersville and Sinking Spring. He was an
official member of Yocum's Church. Mr. Fritz married
Susan Gring, daughter of Henry Gring, and to them
were born these children: Lewis G.; John, living at
No. 216 West Douglass Street, Reading; Susan, m. to
Jeremiah Gehret; Amos; Samuel, who died at the age
of twenty years; Henry G., m. to Susanna Hinnershitz;
Joseph, who died when twenty years old; and Sarah
m. to John M. Grill.

Lewis G. Fritz was reared on the home farm in Cumru
township, and obtained most of his education in the
public schools of his native locality, later spending
six months in a school at Churchtown, Lancaster coun-
ty. In 1871^ he became the proprietor of the "Green
Tree Hotel," in Cumru township, which he conducted



690



HISTORY OF BERKS COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



for fourteen successive years, then . removing upon
the Boyer farm, at the Lancaster bridge, where he
farmed for seven years. In 1893 he removed to his
private residence near the "Green Tree Hotel," and
during the summer, and winter of 1896 built the "Moun-
tain View Hotel." which he occupied from April 29,
1897, until April i, 1907, when his son, Henry F., suc-
ceeded him in the management. Mr. Fritz then erect-
ed two nice frame dwellings at Mountain View, in
one of which he is now living retired. He rebuilt two
brick houses below his residence in 1907, and these
he has rented. He was at one time part owner of
the ■ famous Fritz Island, located one and one-half
miles south of Reading, in the Schuylkill river, his
interests in which he sold to the city of Reading in
1906. He recalls very well the historic flood of 185S',
and the following incident concerning it is ever fresh
in his memory: The Bushong distillery was located
at the foot of Penn street, Reading, on the banks of
the Schuylkill, and when the river rose the rushing tor-
rents tore the large pig sty from its foundations and
dumped over a hundred hogs into the river. They
swam one -and one-half miles down the river and thir-
ty-three were washed ashore on Fritz Island and saved.
This island is quite large, at its highest point being
twenty-one and one-half feet above low water mark,
and of the island six acres have never been under
water to the knowledge of the oldest residents here.
In politics Mr. Fritz is a Republican, and for four
years he was supervisor of the township. He and his
family are Lutheran members of Christ's (Yocum's)
Church.

On Oct. 16, 1859, Mr. Fritz was married to Sarah
Ann Focht, daughter of Daniel and Catherine (Hem-
mig) Focht, of Robeson township,- and to them were
born these children: Emma Louisa, born July 24, 1860,
m. (first) Jacob Adam, deceased, and (second) Frank
Boyer; Henry F., born Nov. 18, 1861; Catharine, born
June 4, 1865, died June 8, 1876; Sylvester, born Jan.
13, 1868; Margaret, born Oct. 4. 1869, died May 31,
1876; Sarah Ann, born Sept. 23, 1870, died May 27,
1876; Lewis, born Oct. 28, 1872, died May 31, 1876, the
same day as his sister Margaret, and both were buried
in one grave; George, born May 5, 1875, a carpenter
foreman for L. H. Focht, the well-known contractor,
ni. Agnes M. Hain; Alice, born May 30, 1879, m. Wil-
liam Robinson, and has two children, Catharine May
and Ray Sarah; and two boys were still born.

George F. Fritz, youngest son of Lewis G. Fritz,
was born in Cumru township, Berks county. May 5,
1875. He attended the common schools of his native
district, and later was a pupil at the Reading Academy,
then taught by the late Prof. D. B. Brunner. He was
reared upon the farm, living there until 1892, at which
time he left home to learn his trade, serving his ap-
prenticeship under L. H. Focht, with whom he has
continued up to the present time. He is now foreman
of a gang of carpenters, and the high reputation en-
joyed by his employer is sufficient testimony as to his
ability, for the position is a very responsible one. He
is a man of good habits and is well liked.

Mr. Fritz was married, July 11, 1896, to Miss Agnes
M. Hain, daughter of Abraham U. Hain, and five child-
ren have been born to them, namely: Mabel H.. Paul
H., Walter H., James H. and Mary A. H. Since 1898
this family have occupied their own home at West
Reading. This place was erected by Mr. Fritz's broth-
er-in-law, the late James M. Hain. The Fritz family
belong to Bethany Lutheran Church of West Read-
ing. In politics Mr. Fritz is a Republican, and in
social connection he is a member of Fraternity Castle,
No. 302, K. G. E., of Reading.

HENRY F. FRITZ. One of the best known pleasure
resorts of the vicinity of the city of Reading, Pa., is
the "Mountain View Hotel," situated on the old Mor-
gantown road, one and one-half miles from the city.



which is conducted by Mr. Henry F. Fritz, a hotel
keeper of many years experience. Mr. Fritz was born
Nov. 18, 1861, in Cumru township, son of Lewis G. and
Sarah Ann (Focht) Fritz.

Henry F. Fritz received his education in the schools
of his native township, and was reared on his father's
farm, which he continued to operate for ten years after
his marriage.- He then engaged in the hotel business
at Jacksonwald, Berks county,- where he continued for
seven years, his next venture being in the ice business
in Reading, which he conducted very successfully for
five years. On April 1, 1907, Mr. Fritz succeeded his
father in the management of the "Mountain View
Hotel," which has twenty-four finely furnished rooms
with all modern conveniences. Mr. Fritz makes a cour-
teous and genial host, and his hostelry is becoming
very popular as a pleasure and health resort.

On Nov. 29, 1885, Mr. Fritz was married to Miss
Clara Berg, daughter of Isaac and Maria (Noll) Berg,
and to them two children have been born: Augusta M.
and Carrie C. Mr. Fritz is a Republican in politics,
and while a resident of Jacksonwald, served as post-
master for a period of seven years. In 1908 he was.
elected treasurer of his township, and re-elected in 1909.
He has been prominent in fraternal circles, and is a
popular member of Wyomissing Council, Royal Arca-
num, and Camp No. 230, P. O. S. of A., 'of St. Lawrence,
Berks county.

CYRUS LORD, late of Reading, Pa., was born in
Union township, Berks Co., Pa., Aug. 18, 1834, son
of Absalom and Margaret (Rice) Lord, natives of
Berks county, and grandson of Joseph and Mary Lord.

Joseph Lord was a native of America of Scotch
parentage, and was a farmer and collier by trade.
To him and his wife Mary were born: Absalom; Eman-
uel; Maria, m. to a Mr. Green, and Mary, m. to_ a
Mr. Fair, of Lancaster county. In religious belief
Joseph Lord and his wife were Episcopalians.

Absalom Lord followed boating on the old Schuyl-
kill canal, and was a prominent figure in the early
history of canaling. He retired about twenty years
prior to his death, which occurred in 1869, and his
wife, Margaret Rice, passed away in her seventy-sec-
ond year. They had these children: Joseph, Daniel,
Charles, one that died in infancy, Cyrus, Emanuel,
Harriet, John, Mary, William, Absalom, Henry and
Peter. Mr. Lord was a member of the Methodist
Episcopal Church. In politics he was first a Whig,
and later became a Republican.

Cyrus Lord received his education in the schools of
Berks county. In 1855 he married Joanna Becker,
who died in 1900, aged sixty-four years. She was the
mother of three children: Anna, Jacob and Amelia, the
last named being the wife of John N. Tomney, of
Reading, Pa. Mr. Lord was a member of the Mason-
ic Order, holding membership in St. John's Lodge,
No. 435, F. & A. M.; Excelsior Chapter; Reading Com-
mandery; and Rajah Temple, A. A. O. N. M. S. Mr.
Lord was one of the trustees in St. John's Lodge for
many years, and the standard bearer in Reading Com-
mandery for a long time, up to the time of his
death.

THOMAS P. ANSPACH, a leading business man
of Womelsdorf, Berks Co., Pa., who is extensively
engaged in the manufacture of cigars, was born in
that town, March 19, 1858, son of Isaac and Elizabeth
(Walters) Anspach.

The Anspach family of Berks county descends from
one of the German emigrants that left their native
country in the early part of the eighteenth century
and came to New York, settling in the Schoharie
Valley, where they lived for several years, steadily
bringing that part of the country up to a prosperous
condition. It was not long, however, before Gov-
ernor Hunter inflicted upon them intolerable laws and



BIOGRAPHICAL



C91



terribly mistreated these sturdy, industrious settlers,
and in the fall of 1723, 150 families fled from the
governor's jurisdiction and made their way across
the forests into Pennsylvania, many of them settling
in Bethel, Heidelberg, and Tulpehocken townships,
in Berks county. Among these early Penn-
sylvania settlers was George Ansfiach. Five years
later, in 1728, came another large influx of these fam-
ilies, and among the latter was Leonard Anspach,
who in 1759 was a taxable in Tulpehocken township,
paying nine pounds. Also in this year the tax list
registered the names of John and Peter Anspach, the
former paying eighteen and the latter twenty pounds.
One of these was the ancestor of Adam Anspach,
grandfather of Thomas P. Adam Anspach and Philip
Anspach were sergeants in Capt. Michael Ferrer's
Company of the Berks County Militia, in the Revolu-
tionary War, serving from June, 1780, until July 15,
1781. , John Anspach, of Heidelberg township, was
second lieutenant in 'Capt. John Lesher's Fifth Com-
pany of the Battalion of Berks county. May 17, 1777.

Adam Anspach, grandfather of Thomas P., was born
on the Anspach homestead in Marion township, and
is buried at Host Church. He was a lifelong farmer,
owning the old homestead; He and his wife, Mag-
dalena (Kintzer) Anspach, had a family of sixteen
children, as follows: David, who had Eliza, Dietta,
Sarah and Lucy; Jacob, who had three wives, and was
the father of nineteen children; John, who had Eliza
and Samuel; Samuel, who had Henry, Sue, Samuel.
John and Emma; Adam, who had Cyrus, Catherine,
Lillie; Jonathan, who was a bachelor; Joseph, who
had four children; Isaac, the father of Thomas P.;
Mary, who died unmarried; Sallie, m. to Samuel Rieg-
el; Elizabeth, m. to Peter SchoU; Molly, who died
unmarried at the age of twenty-one years; and four
others who died young. Of this family Jonathan and
Mary lived together at Womelsdorf, both now being
deceased.

Isaac Anspach, son of Adam, was born June 16,
1819. He owned a cozy little farm of thirty acres
lying in the borough of Womelsdorf, where he died
May 27, 1881. He was a Lutheran in religious belief,
and an official member of Zion's Union Church. He
married Elizabeth Walters, born Jan. 8, 1824, died
Dec. 30, 1899. They had four children, namely: Frank,
born in 1846, died in 1852; Jonathan, born in 1850, died
in 1852; Lizzie m. George Himmelberger, of Womels-
dorf; and Thomas P.

Thomas P. Anspach obtained his education in the
borough schools, and was reared upon the home farm,
assisting his father. On reaching his fourteenth year
he learned the cigar making business, and until 1886
he engaged in that business as a traveling salesman.
In the year mentioned Mr. Anspach began to manu-
facture cigars, in which business he has continued to
the present time with much success. He owns a
two-story factory on First street, where he employs
half a dozen skilled mechanics, and disposes of his
product through jobbers. He erected a fine brick
residence at the corner of First and Franklin streets,
Womelsdorf, in 1906, and here he and his family
make their home. Until Sept. 23, 1905, he had his
business on North Third street, when he was burned
out, suffering a heavy loss. The two houses on the
place had been standing there for upwards of 100
years.

Mr. Anspach is a member of Golden Rule Lodge No.
159, I. O. O. F., and Washington Camp No. 67, P. O.
S. of A., both of Womelsdorf, having been connecte'd
with the former since 1877, and the latter since 1873.
He and his family are attendants of Zion's Lutheran
Church.

On Aug. 14, 1880, Mr. Anspach was married to Ida
Behney, daughter of Milton and Rebecca (Batdorf)
Behney, and »to this union there were born three
sons: Irwin M., a drug clerk of Womelsdorf, m. Annie



Kauffman, of Millerston, Perry Co., Pa.; Frank B.
m. Olive Lambertson, of Mapleton, Huntmgdon Co.,
Pa., and has had two children, Ida G. (deceased) and
Thomas; and John I., unmarried, is a cigar maker by
occupation.

FRANKLIN D. HEFFNER, an influential and well-
to-do agriculturist" of Berks county, Pa., who is now
residing on the original Merkel homestead in the
eastern end of Richmond township, was born on the
old original Heffner homestead, near Virginville, in
Richmond township, Feb. 20, 1859, son of Daniel and
Lucy (Wink) Heffner.

Heinrich Haeffner, the great-great-grandfather "of
Franklin D. Heffner, emigrated from the Palatinate,
Wurtemberg, Germany. He was twice married, his
second wife being Maria Eva Kelchner, daughter of
Matthaus Kelchner, an early settler of Richmond town-
ship. She bore him two sturdy sons and four daugh-
ters, namely: Johann Heinrich; Hans Georg, born in
1757, married Maria Hummel, and died in 1818; Eva
Catharine; Elizabeth; Eva Magdalena, and Catharine.
Heinrich Haeffner (Haffner) was a , son of Andreas
Haeffner o{ Eberstadt, Darmstadt, Germany. The
latter married in 1752, and established himself about
one mile south of Virginville, on the land now owned
by Richard G. Trexler. He was probably a weaver,
as he mentioned "den Webstuhl und das Geschirr
dazu" in an agreement with his son Heinrich, made
April 13, 1784.

During the Revolutionary War Heinrich Heffner (as
the name appears in the record) was a soldier in Capt.
Joseph Baldy's company. In the winter of 1777-8 he
with others were confined as prisoners in a church
in New Jersey. One Christian Merkel, also of Rich-
mond township, froze to death in Heinrich Haeflner's
atms. The following legal document is on record in
the Court House of Berks county: "Berks County, ss:
Whereas Heinrich Heffner, of Jacob Baldy's Co., in
Col. Philip Gehr's Battalion, has made complaint to
us, the Subscribers, Commissioners of said county that
he could not attend at, Muster and Field days in 1777-
1778 as he was a prisoner of War and not exchanged,
and we find his complaint just, do therefore, agree-
able to an Act of General Assembly, passed the 27th
day of Marcli, 1789, acquit and exhonerate the said
Henry Heffner from the fine which he might have
incurred from not attending said Muster and Field
days. Given under our hands, the fourth day of
October, in the year of our Lord, one thousand, sev-
en hundred and ninety. (Signed) John Keim. Henry
Speyker. Jacob Beyer."

Johann Heinrich Haeffner, son of Heinrich, was born
Nov. 23, 1754, and died aged seventy years, seven
months and four days. He married Anna Catherine
Kohler, born in 1759, and their children were: Daniel
m. Betsey Graeff; John died young; Henry m. Betsey
Rahn; Abraham (grandfather of Franklin D.) ; Sam-
uel, born in 1791, m. Kate Folk, and died in 1872;
Solomon m. Rachel Graeff; Jacob, born in 1804, m.
Rebecca Rahn, and died in 1877; Polly was a lifelong
invalid; Hannah m. Daniel UnderkofHer; and Kate m,
Lansing Knapp.

Abraham Heffner, son of Johann Heinrich, was born
in 1789, and died in 1854. He lived for a number of
years at Moselem. To him and his wife, Polly Kerch-
ner (1801-1876), were born children as follows: Isaac
died young; Elizabeth m. Charles Zettelmoyer, a resi-
dent of the old Heffner stand; Polly; Sarah died in
childhood; Anna m. Samuel Moyer; Susanna died
young; Daniel became the father of Franklin D •
Abraham m. Racy Ann Stoudt; Caroline; and Samuel
died young.

Daniel Heffner, son of Abraham, was born on the
old Heffner homestead in 1834, and died in 1881 He
received his education in the schools of his day and
when a young man learned the trade of carpenter be-
coming a first-class mechanic. He built many build-



«92



HISTORY OF BERKS COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



ings in and about the village of Virginville, and taught
many men the trade. He also owned a small farm
near Virginville, which is now in the possession of
his son, Franklin D. In political matters Mr. Heflfner
was a Democrat, and he was a leader in the ranks of
his party in this section of the state, serving as school
director of Richmond township for 'many years. He
and his family were strict Lutherans, attendmg Mose-
lem Church, of which he was trustee for a long period.
Daniel Heffner married Lucy Wink, daughter of David
and Ann (Hill) Wink, farming people of Maxatawny
township. She died in 1902, aged sixty-eight years,
and both she and her husband are buried at Moselem
Church. To them were born four children, as follows:
Franklin D.; Mary Ann, who died aged ten years;
Amos L, who died in his seventeenth year; and Joel,
who passed away when four years old.

■Franklin D. Heffner attended the district schools
of his locality, and was reared upon the farm on
which he was born. For some years he lived on a
small farm near Virginville, which lies adjacent to
the old Hefifner homestead, but in 1891 he bought the
fine farm on which he now resides. This property
is valuable. It is one of the best farms in the town-
ship. It consists of 110 acres of excellent land; the
buildings upon which are large, substantial and in ex-
cellent condition. The water facilities are of the
best. Mr. Hefifner is an up-to-date, practical agri-
culturist, using the most modern machinery and im-
plements, and his good crops are in a measure due to
the manner in which he prepares the soil prior to
planting. He has a good herd of live stock, and his
horses are known throughout the township as of the
best breed. He is one of the substantial citizens of
Richmond township, and a heavy tax payer. Person-
ally he is quiet and unassuming, and he is known
to his neighbors and acquaintances as an honorable
and upright citizen.

Mr. Hefiner is a strong and uncompromising Demo-
crat, but, although he takes an active interest in pol-
itics, believing that it is his duty as a citizen to do
so, he has never allowed his name to be used as a
candidate for public position. He and his family are
loyal supporters of the Lutheran faith and consistent
members of Moselem Church, of which Mr. Hefifner
has been deacon for four years and treasurer for over
seventeen years. He was a member of the building
committee when the new church was built in 1894,
and contributed largely in time, money and material
towards its erection.

In 1881 Mr. Heffner married Mary Ann Dietrich,
daughter of Jonathan and Catherine (Keim) Dietrich,
of Greenwich township, and to this union there have
been born children as follows: Joel W., Mary C, Daniel
E., Katie C, Jonas F.. Hannah A.. A. Howard, Alice
J., Ada L., Franklin J. and Florence E.

Adam Dietrich, great-great-grandfather of Mrs. Hefif-
ner, was born in 1740 and died in 1817. He married
Maria Barbara Steinbruch (1741-1821), who, like him-
self, had come from the Palatinate, Germany, on the
good ship "Brittania," which landed at Philadelphia
Oct. 26, 1767. They were the parents of the following
children: Johann Adam, 1765-1823; Johann Georg. 1767-

1837; Maria Barbara, 1769-1846; Catherine, 1771 ;

Johann Jacob, 1773-1857; Johann Michael, 1775-1862;
Johann Heinrich, 1777-about 1857; Johannes, 1779-1830;
a daughter born in 1781; Johann Christian, 1783-1874;
Maria Magdalena, 1785; and Anna Margareta, 1787-
1838.

Johann Christian Dietrich, son of Adam, was born
in 1783, and died in 1874. He married Elizabeth Georg
(1786-1846). and to them were born children as fol-
lows: Benjamin, 1806-1877; Solomon, 1807-1874; Beckie
m. Jacob Heinly; Jonathan was the grandfather of
Mrs. Hefifner; George, 1811-1887; Samuel, 1817-1893;
Anna m. Daniel Spohn; Hettie m. John Moyer; Dan-



iel, 1824-1898; Nathan,* 1827-1880; and Henry, 1832-
1905.

Jonathan Dietrich, son of Christian, was born Dec.
2, 1802, and died Jan. 29, 1862. He married Elizabeth
Schearer, born Sept. 25, 1810, who died June 7, 1897.
and both were buried at Moselem Church. They had
the following children: Ephraim, born in 1835, died
in 1905; Jonathan, father of Mrs. Hefifner; Joel; Wil-
liam; Daniel; Henry; Samuel; Edwin and Sarah Ann.

Jonathan Dietrich, son of Jonathan, was born Nov.
38, 1835, and died Aug. 6, 1871. He owned and cul-
tivated a tract of fifty acres of land in Greenwich
township, where his whole life was spent. Mr. Dietrich
married Catherine Keim, and to them were born
children as follows: Terinta m. Isaac Hess, a farmer
of Maiden-creek township; Mary Ann m. Mr. Hefifner;
George M. m. Katie Fegley, and is a farmer near
Evansville, Pa.; and Katie m. Oscar Luckinbill, of
Leesport, Pennsylvania.

GEORGE W. SNYDER, who is well known to the
people of Reading, Pa., as a professional musician, has
been identified with musical organizations since his
twelfth year, and is the present director of the Glen
Echo Orchestra. Mr. Snyder was born in 1868, in
Bethel township, Berks county, soil of Franklin and
Elizabeth (Lerch) Snyder.

Thomas Snyder, the grandfather of George W., was
a prosperous farmer of Bethel township, and owned
land deeded to the family by the Penns in 1730. He
married a Miss Wagner, and to them were born the
following children: Washington, Davilla, Isaac, Frank-
lin. Henrietta and Clementina. Of this family Frank-
lin Snyder was one of the early farmers of Bethel
township, and followed agricultural pursuits all of
his life, dying at the age of fifty-four years. His
widow still survives. They' were the parents of these
children: Rebecca; Enjma; Sarah, deceased; William
F. ; George W. ; David T. and Ella J., deceased; and
Dora M. The family were members of the Lutheran
Church.

George W- Snyder received his literary education
in the public schools, after leaving which he taught
school for five years, then engaging as a brakeman
on the Philadelphia & Reading Railroad, with which
road he continued for three years. He then became



Online LibraryMorton L. (Morton Luther) MontgomeryHistorical and biographical annals of Berks County, Pennsylvania, embracing a concise history of the county and a genealogical and biographical record of representative families, comp. by Morton L. Montgomery .. → online text (page 197 of 227)