Morton L. (Morton Luther) Montgomery.

Historical and biographical annals of Berks County, Pennsylvania, embracing a concise history of the county and a genealogical and biographical record of representative families, comp. by Morton L. Montgomery .. online

. (page 198 of 227)
Online LibraryMorton L. (Morton Luther) MontgomeryHistorical and biographical annals of Berks County, Pennsylvania, embracing a concise history of the county and a genealogical and biographical record of representative families, comp. by Morton L. Montgomery .. → online text (page 198 of 227)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


a United States railway postal clerk, his run being
between Allentown and Harrisburg, but after twelve
years he resigned, and took up the profession of
piano tuning. At the age of twelve years he received
his first instruction in music from Prof. L. A. Drum-
heller, of Harrisburg, and later he graduated from the
G. H. Munroe School of Piano Tuning, Boston, hav-
ing done practical work in the Cornish Piano factory.
He is a member of the I. O. O. F.. the P. O. S. of
A. and the National Association of Railway Postal
Clerks. In political matters he is a Democrat.

Professor Snyder married A. 'Blanche Deck, and to
them have been born four children; Percy A.; Robert
E. and Maysie A., deceased; and George D. The family
attend the Reformed Church.

CYRUS ,Q. GULDIN, one of the leading business
men of Reading, Pa., who is president of the Read-
ing Cold Storage & Ice Company, was born in Cole-
brookdale township, Berks county. May 25. 1860, son
of Horace N. and Elizabeth M. (Eshbach) Guldin.
and grandson of John and Maria (Grim) Guldifi.

John Guldin, also a native of Berks county, was a
farmer and ran a saw mill in his native locality. He
was a member of no church, although he favored the
Reformed denomination, and was a good Christian
and excellent neighbor. He and his wife had these
children: Edward, Henry, James, Cyrus, Mary and
Horace N.

Horace N. Guldin was educated in the schools of
Boyertown, and in early life engaged in scliool teaching.



BIOGRAPHICAL



69S



later, however, becoming an agriculturist. He is now
living retired at New Berlinville, where he has many
friends. His wife, Elizabeth M. Eshbach, who died
in 1898, aged sixty-two years, bore him these child-
ren: James; Cyrus Q.; Delilah (m. Reuben Brown);
and Laura (m. Levi Miller).

Cyrus Q. Gulden was educated in the schools of
his native township and also in Montgomery county.
In 1891, with A. J. Brumbach, J. G. Leinbach, George
O. Runyeon, J. A. Strohecker and John H. Printz,
deceased, he formed the Realing Cold Storage Com-
pany, and was elected president thereof, a position
which he has held contihously to the present time.
The plant was consolidated in 1900, it being at Read
and Elm streets. It has a capacity of sixty tons, and
the storage house has 300,000 cubic feet of space. The
plant at South >Iinth street has a capacity of 130 tons
daily, with 250,000 cubic feet of space. Mr. Guldin
'is also superintendent of the Glenside Land Company,
and the Glenside Water Company; director of the
Bramcote Land Company; president of the Exchange
Mutual Fire Insurance Company, of Philadelphia, and
superintendent of the Angelica Water & Ice Com-
pany. He is also prominent in fraternal circles, being
a member of Stichtler Lodge, No. 254, F. & A. M.,
of which he is past master, and a member of the chap-
ter; Nativity Commandery of Pottstown, Pa., and the
Rajah Temple. A. A. O. N. M. S. Since 1900 he has
made his home in Reading.

In 1882 Mr. Guldin married Lillie Butz, daughter
of George W. Butz, of Pottstown, and to them there
has been born one child: Elizabeth, who is now en-
gaged in the study of music and art.

JOHN DAVID SCHEETZ, who resides on his well-
improved farm in Heidelberg township, is one of the
leading farmers of Berks county. Pa., and has been
largely identified through his position as a prominent
citizen with the general progress of this section since
attaining the years of manhood. Mr. Scheetz was
born July 15, 1843, in North Heidelberg township,
son of William and Harriet' (Deppen) Scheetz.

Conrad Scheetz (or Schuetz or Schiitz), the great-
great-grandfather of John D., was one of the pioneers
who came from the Schoharie, N. Y., in 1723, with
thirty-three other Palatinate families, having emigrat-
ed from Germany to England, where they were pro-
vided with passage to the New World by Queen Anne.
On Christmas Day, 1709, 4000 of these emigrants em-
barked for New York, and on reaching that port
June 14. 1710, 1700 of these travelers died. The sur-
vivors camped in tents on Governor's Island until
late in autumn, when about 1400 removed to Liv-
ingston Manor, 100 miles up the Hudson river. Here
they improved land, built log cabins, and were in a
fair way towards success, when Governor Hunter's
treatment became unendurable and many of these
sturdy settlers fled through the forests on rudely con-
structed sleds, which they tugged themselves through
the deep snow. Among these early arrivals at the
Tulpehocken were: Johannes Pisas, Sebastian Pisas.
George and Peter Rieth, Gottfried Titler, Conrad
Schuetz, Antonius Scharf, Johannes Rieth, Joseph Laab,
Christian _Lauer, Andrew Walborn, Lorentz Zerbe,
Sebastian Fischer. Johan Peter Pacht, Johann Adam
Lesch and George Anspach.

John Adam Schiitz, son of Conrad Schuetz, was one
of the most prominent men of his day and locality,
served a term in the Legislature and held numerous
township offices, and owned considerable land, which
is now divided into four fine farms, having originally
consisted of upwards of 400 acres. He spelled his
name Schutz until after he had served in the Legisla-
ture. He was buried at Tulpehocken Church. Mr.
Schutz married a daughter of Jost Fishbach, of Heid-
elberg township, and four children were born to this



union: Elizabeth m. John Breidenbach; Jacob; John;
and Samuel.

John Scheetz, son of John Adam, was born in what
is now Marion township, in 1793, and died Feb. 20,
1869, aged seventy-six years, and was buried at Union
cemetery. In 1832 he purchased the well known Conrad
Weiser farm, east of Womelsdorf, and here he en-
gaged in agricultiiral pursuits until 1855, when he re-
tired. He was prominent in politics in his day. and
in 1836-37 served in the Assembly at Harrisburg, also
holding a number of township offices. He also was
the owner of the farm at the St. Daniel's (Corner)
Church. Mr. Scheetz married ffirst) Barbara Schiitz,
daughter of John Jacob Schutz, and to them were born
two children: William, the father of John David; and
John Adam, who married and had four children, name-
ly, Alice, Kate (m. John F. P. Marshell, part owner
of the C. Weiser farm). Dr. Laurence J. (of New Ox-
ford, Adams county), and Franklin (of Albuquerque.
New Mexico). Mr. Scheetz m. (second') Catherine Selt-
zer, by whom he had one son: Isaac K., who m.
Mary A. Seltzer and had four children, namely, Hor-
ace (died young), J. Albert (of Chicago), Mary Catha-
rine (m. John David Scheetz) and Amanda (died young).

William Scheetz, son of John and father of John
David, was born Nov. 8, 1818, in Heidelberg town-
ship, and died March 6, 1885, being buried at the
Corner Church. He was a farmer and property own-
er, being the possessor of three fine farms. Until the
outbreak of the Civil war Mr. Scheetz was a Demo-
crat but after that time he became a Republican, and
for twenty-five years served as a school director in
Heidelberg township. He was a man of more than
ordinary intelligence, and lived much in advance of
his day. He married Harriet Deppen, who died in
1880, at the age of fifty-seven years, daughter of Dav-
id and Elizabeth C. (Schall) Deppen. Of their six
children, two died in infancy. Those who survived
were: John David; William Henry, born June 21, 1846,
who for some years was a lumber merchant in North
Heidelberg township, was accidentally killed in a
trolley accident, July 25, 1907; Alinda m. Nathaniel
Lengel, a farmer of North Heidelberg township; and
Mary Agnes m. William F. McLean, who resides on
one of the Scheetz farms.

John David Scheetz was reared to agricultural pur-
suits, and with the exception of some school teaching
in his younger days, this he has followed all his life,
working for his parents until his thirtieth year, since
which time he has resided on the Conrad Weiser farm,
which he purchased in 1892. Until 1904 he carried on
practical farming, disposing of his product to the
home trade, but in that year retired from active work.
Mr. Scheetz is a well-read man and a great student.
He has made many friends in his community and he
and his wife are highly esteemed in the locality in
which they have resided for so long. During the
Civil war he was appointed by Gen. Thomas D. James
as a clerk in the hospital quartermaster's department,
serving in 1864 and 1865.

In 1874 Mr. Scheetz married Catherine Sheetz, daugh-
ter of Isaac K. and Mary A. (Seltzer) Sheetz. They
have no children.

WILLIAM HAGY, a venerable resident of the city
of Reading, who is now spending the autumn of life
in the enjoyment of the fruits' of his earlier years of
toil, was born in West Cocalico township. Lancaster
county. Pa., Dec. 12, 1825, and represents a family long
identified with that part of the country.

Henry Hagy, his paternal grandfather, is supposed
to have been a native of Lancaster county, and certain-
ly all his active life was passed there, operating a
farm which he owned near Schoeneck. He was also
an expert weaver, and according to the custom of
those Revolutionary days, spent much time during the



694



HISTORY OF BERKS COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



winter months in weaving into cloth the flax that had
been raised on his own farm and then spun. He
married Miss Catherine Stover, and both lived to ad-
vanced age, his death occurring in 1844, and hers in
1837. They were members of the Lutheran Church.
Their nine children were: Henry, John, George, Samuel,
David, Catherine, Elizabeth. Jacob and Eve.

Jacob Hagy, father of William, was. born m 1795,
and lived only to the age of thiirty-five. He owned
a small farm, which he had operated, and his family
were left in straightened circumstances. His wife
was Miss Catherine Trich, and they had three children,
namely: William; Lydia m. George Sindel; and Eliza-
beth, who lives at Reamstown, is the widow of the
late Joseph Bechtel. Mrs. Hagy survived her hus-
band until Nov. 4, 1867, when she died aged sixty-
nine years, one month and eighteen days. In her
latter years she was a member of the Mennonite
church.

William Hagy was sent to the schools of Lancaster
county, but his father's untimely death compelled him
to shift for himself at. an early agej and he was
hardly more than a boy when he became an appren-
tice to a tailor to learn the trade. After four years"
service he was released in 1844, and the following
year came to Reading, where he has ever since re-
sided. He found employment at first with James
Jameson, and worked with him till 1853, when he
started in business with William Donahower, the part-
nership lasting eighteen months. He then went to
Eighth and Penn streets, but at the- end of three
months moved to North Fifth street, remaining one
year. In the spring of 1867, he located a.t No. 701
Penn street, where he remained till his retirement in
1892. Mr. Hagy still owns the property and retains
an office on the premises, spending some time there
each day looking after his affairs. He was always
industrious, upright in his dealings and wide awake
to every opportunity, so that his success was justly due.

On May 10, 1849, Mr. Hagy married Miss Sarah
Ann Bitler, daughter of Elisha Bitler, of Robeson town-
ship, Berks county. A family of nine children were
born to them, of whom seven lived to mature years,
viz.: William D.; Harry B. is treasurer of the Penn-
sylvania Trust Company, of Reading; Irwin A. resides
at Philadelphia; Mary E. m. (first) Henry A. Het-
rick, son of John Hetrick, of Reading, and (second)
Matthan Harbster, of Reading; Emma C. m. Thomas
Shaneman, of Lebanon; Anna E. m. Park John, of
Reading; and Sarah J. m. A. J. Geiger, a shoe mer-
chant of Reading. The wife and mother died Jan. 16,
1907, aged eighty years and eleven months. Mr. Hagy
has been for years a Methodist in his religious faith,
having united with that denomination when a young
man, and he now holds membership in St. Peter's M.
E. Church. In politics he is a Republican.

WILLIAM H. JONES, a well-known citizen of
Douglassville, Amity township, belongs to the oldest
family in Berks county. Before William Penn was
born Gustavus Adolphus, King of Sweden, sent out
colonists to the New World, and in 1643 under Capt.
John Printz, three ships came over and established
a settlement on Tinicum Island. The Rev. John Cam-
panius Holm was pastor for the Colony, and the first
church was built by the government of the mother
country. This was a block house, and it stood on
the present site of Old Swedes Church (erected in
1700) at Swanson and Christian streets, Philadelphia.
Originally the ministers of this church were Lutheran
in faith, but as time passed on and the Swedish lan-
guage died out, the congregation elected a minister
of the Church of England, and of that denomination
the church has continued. On the flats west of the
Schuylkill, at Philadelphia, is still standing a house
built by Jonas Nielson (tradition says in 1650). Though
consisting of but two tiny rooms and a garret, many



traditions are extant concerning the importance of
this place in early days, and in front of the fireplace
George Washington once sat as a guest. Court was
also held there. Jonas Nielson is buried at Old Swedes
Church. By the custom of the Swedes to change their
name to the baptismal name of the father, the progeny
of Jonas Nielson became known as Jonasson, which
in the next generation was anglicized to Jones. An
old deed of partition on record at the City Hall, Phila-
delphia, mentions William Jones as "a grandson of
Jonas Nealson, yeoman, late of Kingsessing, the said
William Jones, having agreeable to Swedish custom,
changed his surname from Nealson to Jones."

Maunce Jones, a Swede, came from the Wissahickon
to Douglassville, in Berks county, with a colony of
Swedes in 1701. He located on the east bank of the
Schuylkill river where he built a stone house in 1716,
where the Douglassville county "covered" bridge spans
the river. This house has a very thick wall, and is
very substantially built, having in its earlier days been
a place of refuge for the pioneer settlers during In-
dian outbreaks. It is now owned by the Leaf es-
tate. Maunce Jones was a farmer and owned consid-
erable land. He was married to Ongabo, daughter
of J. Jonas Yocom and was executor of his father-
in-law's will in 1760.

Among the Joneses who are buried in the Episcopal
cemetery at Douglassville are the following: Peter
Jones, who died Aug. 20, 1758, aged fourteen years;
Sarah Jones, who died June 20, 1762, aged thirty years;
Jonas Jones, Sr., who died Jan. 27, 1777, aged seventy-
seven; Mary, wife of Jonas Jones, who died Sept. 11,
1772, aged sixty-eight years; Jonas Jones, Jr., who
died April 23, 1799, aged sixty-five years; Mary, daugh-
ter of Jonas Jones, who died Sept. 30, 1805, aged
seventy-eight years; Nicholas Jones, who died Oct.
15, 1826, aged ninety years; Rachel, wife of Nicholas
Jones, who died March 5, 1792, aged forty-one years;
Nicholas Jones, who died March 28, 1820 (or 1829),
aged forty-one years; Mary, wife of Nicholas Jones,
who died July 20, 1862, aged sixty-nine years; Samuel
Jones, son of Nicholas, who died April 28, 1786, aged
five years; David Jones, born March 1, .1786, and died
Nov. 4, 182S; George Jones, born Sept. 28, 1814, and
died Dec. 27, 1882; Hannah Jones, born Nov. 5, 1818,
and died April 3, 1884; and Richard Jones, born Jan.
14, 1816, and died Sept. 25, 1875.

Peter Jones, great-grandfather of William H., was
born at Douglassville, Oct. 10, 1749, and died there
on his farm Nov. 24, 1809. He owned all the land
including the Huysingue Meschert est. to and including
the James Gorrell farm (eighty-eight acres of which was
Jones land). Peter Jones had in all three hundred acres,
and he engaged in farming all his life. He and his wife
were Episcopalians and are buried at Douglassville. He
married Catharine Kirlin, born Nov. 9, 1756, died Feb.
25, 1844. They were the parents of fifteen children,
namely: John, born July 9. 1773; Ruth and Elizabeth
(twins), July 20, 1775; Peter, Aug. 9, 1777; Hannah,
Sept. 9, 1779 (died Dec. 29, 1860, married Jonathan
Jones (son of Nicholas and Rachel) born March 2,
1778. died April 23, 1840, and their son Samuel died
July 2, 1833, aged thirty years, one month and eight
days); Samuel, 'Jan. 3, 1782; William, Jan. 25,
3784; Jacob, Feb. 19, 1786; Nathan, May 32, 1788;
Thomas, May 7, 1790; Ezekiel, April 2. 1792; Mary
(Polly), Sept. 15, 1793; Caleb, July 8. 1796; Catharine,
March 28, 1799; and Rebecca, April 5, 1802.

Samuel Jones, son of Peter, was born at Douglass-
ville, Jan. 3, 1782, and died on his farm above Doug-
lassville in 1864. He was a blacksmith by trade, and
also conducted a thirty-five acre farm. He was very
well known, and was greatly interested in educational
matters. In appearance he was tall and stout, of dark
complexion. Both he and his wife Elizabeth Hoover
(Huber) are buried at the Episcopal Church in Doug-
lassville. He was a member of the vestry of this



BIOGRAPHICAL 695

church, and was always active in its work. To Samuel partnership. He has been connected with it con-
Jones and wife were born children as follows: Peter; tinuously from that time, and since the death of his
Richard, who kept a store along the canal at Union- uncles has been the senior member of the firm.
ville, now conducted by his grandson, Howard W. On Feb. 36, 1885, Mr. Leinbach married Miss Ella
Jones; Jacob, who lived at Reading the greater part j. Bitzer. daughter of R. R. Bitzer, a prominent coal
of his life, but whose children now live in Philadel- and lumber merchant of Ephrata, Lancaster county,
phia; Julian, who married Thomas May, and lived at Xo this union, there have been born three sons, Ray-
Dougla'ssville; Ezekiel, an alderman of the Third ward „,o„d_ pa^i ^nd Clarence, and two daughters. Mary
Readmg, who had Dick and Harry. ,^, and Magdalene. The family residence is a pleasant

Peter Jones, son of Samue was born at Douglass- ^ f ^o. 10 North Eleventh street,

ville April 19, 1819, and wa^ ^!l".l"!'^!^ *° '"^"^ood, Leinbach belongs to a family always deeply

early becoming acquainted with the duties on a farm. . ^ ^ f ."°'-",.". ^ , j u \. A^„^i^A ^,f^v,

He owned the farm that is now managed by his es- >?terested in religious work, and has devoted much

tate. He died March 15, 1896, and is buried in the >me himself to such labors. He was one of the

T7r,;c„^„.,i „«™ot„,,, -u. I. „., „ u „r i.1,. founders of St. Andrews Reformed bunday-scnool,

Episcopa cemetery. He, too, was a member of the ^ ^ ^ ^ superintendent for a period of twenty-
Episcopal church, and served on the vestry. On Feb ^-^^^ P ^j t^^^,^^^^ ^P^ „g;^„3 ^^/^^
25 1847 he married Mary Ann Kirlin,_ daughter of j,;^ ^^j^^^ ^^^ numbers nearly one hundred. This
John and Sarah (Brower) Kirlin, of Union township, Sunday-school was the nucleus from which grew St.
the former of whom died at Hamburg in 1839 Mrs Andrew's Reformed Church, and Mr. Leinbach was
.Mary Ann (Kirlm) Jones was born Dec. 6, 1830, and ^^^ ^f the charter members at its organization in
'sno-^ (190.9) residing on the old farm above Douglass- igg,, He was chosen a member of its first consistory
ville. She is remarkably well preserved, and she takes and is still a member and officer. He is doing a
a keen interest in the life around her. She is the great deal of Christian work outside of his own
mother of nine children: Wmfield Scott, born May 33, church and school. He is president of the Berks
1848; Samuel H., May 14, 1849; Sarah Ann, Dec. 13, County Sabbath School Association, a member of
1850; Newton, Sept. 27, 1852; Elizabeth C, April 30, the Reformed Church Publication Board, and also
1854; Fannie, April 23, 1856; Hannah M., Sept. 18, 1858; of the Board of Ministerial Relief. In politics he is
William H., Sept. 17. 1860; and Maggie Y.. Nov. 21, a Republican
1862.

William H. Jones was born at Douglassville, Sept. GEORGE GRAUL, deceased, a contractor and

17, 1860, and was educated in the public schools of builder in Reading, was born in Berks county. Pa.,

that district. He was trained to farming, and since in 1799. His father was Jacob Graul, who lived many

1888 he has been farming the old homestead for him- years in Reading and finally passed away there,

self. This farm consists of thirty-five acres of ex- George Graul learned the trade of a brick-layer

cellent land, and Mr. Jones devotes a great deal of at- in his youth, but later worked into the contracting

tention to dairying, having shipped his milk to Phila- and building line, following that successfully for a

delphia many years. In the winter of 1908-09 he estab- number of years. During his last years in business

lished the first milk route in Douglassville, and this he gave up the building line and instead was engaged

he now serves. In politics Mr. Jones is a Repub- in trucking.

lican, and he and his family are members of the Epis- Mr. Graul married Miss Elizabeth Ege, and their

copal Church at Douglassville, in which he is a member wedded life continued till the death of Mrs. Graul

of the vestry. in 1863, at the age of sixty-one.- Her husband sur-

On Dec. 6, 1888. Mr. Jones married Margaret Gailey, vived her till June 2, 1877, when he, too, passed

daughter of William and Sarah Jane (Arble) Gailey, away at the advanced age of seventy-eight. They

and they have two children: Mary Ethel, a member 1^" a number of children, as follows: Rebecca, widow

of the Pottstown high school class of 1909; and Her- of William Bingaman, residing m Reading; Sevilla,

bert G. deceased wife of Michael Sands; Katie, deceased;

Rev. Amos, deceased, a minister of the United Brethren

CHARLES H. LEINBACH, a well known and Church, located at the time of his death at Pine Grove,

prosperous merchant of Reading, comes of German Schuylkill county (he m. Sevilla Kern) ; Mary, born July

stock, and his ancestors settled in Pennsylvania in 29, 1825, residing at No. 315 Moss street, Reading,

1723, in the township of Oley, Berks county. in which neighborhood she has lived for sixty years;

Elias A. Leinbach, father of Charles H., was a Elizabeth, Mrs. Daniel Graefif, of Reading (she has

son of Christian, who resided in Bern township. Elias four children: Emily, Bessie, Mary and George);

A. Leinbach became the postmaster at Leinbach's and Abeline, who died in infancy. The family has

postoffice, and discharged the duties of that office for always been one held in much respect in the com-

a period of nearly fifty years. He married Caro- munity.
line, daughter of Solomon Hoch, retired, and- they

became the parents of a large family. Those still THOMAS W. SWENEY (deceased), a prominent

living are: Rev. Thomas H., pastor of St. John's jeweler of Reading, whose skill in his line won him

Reformed Church at Reading; Rev. Elmer H., pastor a reputation all over the State, was born in West

of St. John's Church in, Kutztown,; Sallie H.; Laura, Chester, Chester county, April 24, 1834, son of James

m. to John Z. Ri?ser; Carrie S., m. to Rev. C. E. Sweney. He died Oct. 14, 1905, and is buried in

Schaeflfer, of St. Mark's Reformed Church, Reading; the Charles Evans cemetery,

and Charles H. Thomas Sweney, grandfather of Thomas W., was

Charles H. Leinbach was born in Bern township in born in Bucks county, Pa., March 4, 1777. For many

1859, and was first sent to the public school of that years he lived, in West Chester, Chester county, where

section. Later he went both to the Millersville State he died. He married Elizabeth Hineman, who was

Normal School and to the State Normal School at Kutz- born in Montgomery county. Pa., May 7, 1785, daugh-

town. Naturally a good student, with these advantages ter of John and Barbara Hineman, and to them came

he was well prepared for teaching and followed that James and John.

profession awhile in his native township, before en- ^ James Sweney, born March 39, 1810, married Lov-

tering upon his business career. At the age of twenty- ina Wells. He died Oct. 1, 1883, aged seventy-three

one he went to Reading as an apprentice under his years, six months and two days, and she died May

uncles, who, under the firm name of Leinbach & 8, 1893, aged eighty-three years, four months and

Brother, conducted a clothing establishment at No. seventeen days. Both were natives of Pennsylvania

851 Penn street. The young man showed a decided the father of Irish descent and the mother of Welsh'

aptitude for the work, and in 1890 he was taken into James Sweney was a shoemaker by trade and 'fol-



690



HISTORY OF BERKS COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



lowed that occupation for some years, but in time



Online LibraryMorton L. (Morton Luther) MontgomeryHistorical and biographical annals of Berks County, Pennsylvania, embracing a concise history of the county and a genealogical and biographical record of representative families, comp. by Morton L. Montgomery .. → online text (page 198 of 227)