eBooksRead.com books search new books
Morton L. (Morton Luther) Montgomery.

Historical and biographical annals of Berks County, Pennsylvania, embracing a concise history of the county and a genealogical and biographical record of representative families, comp. by Morton L. Montgomery .. online

. (page 202 of 227)
Online LibraryMorton L. (Morton Luther) MontgomeryHistorical and biographical annals of Berks County, Pennsylvania, embracing a concise history of the county and a genealogical and biographical record of representative families, comp. by Morton L. Montgomery .. → online text (page 202 of 227)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

From 1852 to 1859 he was a tenant on the home farm.
He married Sophia Geigly, daughter of Samuel Geigly,
of Lancaster county. Pa. Their children were: John
died in boyhood; Susanna m. John M. Kessler, and
has no children; and Henry F.

Henry F. Trostle, son of Henry (3), and now a sub-
stantial citizen of West Reading, was born in Breck-
nock township, Sept. 4, 1859, and was but five weeks
old when his father died. He obtained his education
in the township schools near his birthplace, and in the
Good school in Lancaster county. He was brought up
to farming and for a number of years lived with Chris-
tian and Benjamin Good in Lancaster county. After
his marriage in 1887 he engaged in the merchandise
business in Bowmansville. At first he was in partner-
ship with C. M. Beam, under the firm name of Trostle
& Beam, and this continued for six years, when he
went into business with J. M. Kessler under the name
of Trostle & Kessler. This firm existed two years,
and was then dissolved by mutual consent. Moving to
Ephrata, Pa., Mr. Trostle lived there a year, and for
some time was employed as a salesman, also doing
various other kinds of work. In 1896 he came to West
Reading, and worked for a wholesale produce com-
pany, doing huckstering in Reading. That same year
he bought b«ilding lots in West Reading, and erected
two residences, Nos. 701 and 703 Penn avenue, which
he sold. He' then erected ten more in the same bor-
ough. He lives in a fine three-story brick house at
No. 700 Penn avenue.
45



■ In February, 1887, Mr. Trostle married Emma Eber-
ly, who was born in 1864, daughter of Israel Eberly and
wife (whose maiden name was Oberlin), the former a
farmer in Clay township, Lancaster county, and a de-
scendant of Jacob Eberly, a Swiss Mennonite who set-
tled in Lancaster before 1750. Mrs. Trostle's great-grand-
father, Samuel Eberly (born Feb. 8, 1793, died Jan.
26. 1876) lived in Elizabeth (now Clay) township, and
there in 1832 built a house; he was the first county
treasurer under the constitution of 1837. To Mr. and
Mrs. Trostle were born children as follows: Harry died
in infancy; Ida Susan; Edwin E.; Mary Edith; and
Alvin E. They are all members of St. Joseph's Re-
formed Church of West Reading, and since 1901 Mr.
Trostle has been a member of the Consistory. He is
a Democrat in politics, and for eight years under Pres-
ident Cleveland's two administrations, 1885-89 and
1893-97, was in the postoffice at Bowmansville, being
assistant postmaster during the first term, and post-
master the second term. He is a member of the Mod-
ern Woodmen of America.



, William Trostle married Magdalena Steffy (born
Feb. 12, 1795, died May 22, 1883) and they had four
sons and one daughter: (1) Richard m. Sallie Hartz,
and had two sons and five or six dausfhters. the sons
being Isaac, who is married and living in Mohnton;
and Levi, m. to Elizabeth Brendle, and had a son
Martin (m. Kate Eshelman, and has a son Paul), and
three daughters, Catharine (m. Franklin SchweitzerJ,
Ellen (m. Nathan Remp) and Cora (m.. Jeremiah
Schweitzer). (2) Jacob m. Ann Steffy. He was a
stone mason by trade, but devoted the latter years
of his life to farming. Of his children, three sons
and five daughters are living: Jacob m. Lydia Eshel-
man, and has two children; Howard m. Mamie Glass,
and has two children; Harry m. Lizzie Garman, and
has two children ; and the five daughters are all married,
but are not living in this vicinity. (3) Levi was a
carpenter. He was born April 20. 1833, and died July
10, 1897. He m. Ann Furlow, born Dec. 19, 1828, died
Nov. 7, 1896, and they had children: William (born
June 28, 1861, died Sept. 22. 1895), Levi (born Dec. 6,
1869, died June 26, 1894), John, Elmer and Sarah.
They lived in Lancaster county. (4) Benjamin moved
to Lebanon county, Pa. (5) Sallie m. David Lebo, and
lived in Lancaster county.

JOHN ARCHIBALD McLENEGAN was born at
Lancaster, Pa., Feb. 2, 1841, at the homestead on East
King street. When six years of age, he was adopted
by an uncle, George B. Withers, Esq., of the Lancaster
Bar, and his earliest education was received at private
schools in that city. He afterward attended the Stras-
burg Academy, to which place his uncle had removed
on account of failing health. He then assumed the
care of his uncle's farms near Strasburg until the
latter's decease in 1859, when he accompanied his aunt,
Mrs. Withers, to Reading where he secured a position
with the Philadelphia & Reading Railway Company, as
private messenger, traveling between New York and
Washington. At the outbreak of the Civil War, he
enlisted as a volunteer in the Ringgold Light Artillery
for three months, and then for three years with the
Anderson Troop. He is enrolled as a' First Defender.
Upon being mustered out of service, he joined a col-
ony of friends and relatives from Lancaster, and in-
vested in farm lands in Wisconsin, where he remained
for five years. He then returned to Reading and re-
sunjed einployment with the Philadelphia & Reading
Railway Company, continuing with the company until
1883, and afterward for upward of twenty years filled
the ■ positioii of traveling salesman for the Reading
Woolen Mills, visitmg the business centers in the South
and West and developing a large business for this
important enterprise at Reading. In 1905, his health
failing, he located with his family on his farm at White



706



HISTORY OF BERKS COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



Bear, along the Wilmington & Northern Railroad, at
this place he died June 10, 1906.

Mr. McLenegan was married to Mary Ann McKnight,
daughter of David McKnight, and granddaughter of
John McKnight, the first banker at Reading, and they
had seven children: Elizabeth Hiester, Selina (m. Fred-
erick E. Yorke, and has a d'aughter, Dorothy), William
and Henry (twins, the latter deceased),- John (de-
ceased), Robert Wallace, and Frederick Augustus.
The mother died Oct. 19, 1908.

His father was Zephaniah McLenegan, born at Lan-
caster, in 1801, where he was educated and admitted
to the Lancaster Bar in 1822, and afterward came to
occupy considerable prominence in the official life
of the county, serving as county treasurer in 1833 and
1834, and as prothonotary from 1836 to 1839. He
was a man of scholarly tastes, and possessed one of
the best private libraries in Lancaster. He was a
member of the Presbyterian Church, and died in 1842.
He m. Henrietta Augusta Musser, daughter of John
Musser (for a time Collector of the Port of Phila-
delphia), and great-granddaughter of Rev. Henry Mel-
chior Muhlenberg. They had four children: Edward
(m. to Mary Dunn), Henry Hall (m. to Sarah Rei-
gart), Charles (died in Rio de Janiero in 1859, aged
twenty-two years) and John Archibald.

Mr. McLenegan's grandfather, Archibald McLene-
gan. was born in 1759, in Ireland, of Scotch parents,
and emigrated from Monaghan, County Ulster, lo-
cating at Lancaster, Pa. In 1791, he m. Mary Wallace,
daughter of William Wallace, and granddaughter of
James Wallace who had emigrated to Pennsylvania
prior to 1721 and settled in Swartara township. They
had ten children: Samuel, Elizabeth (m. an Hum-
phreys), Elijah (m. Mary Fordney), Sarah (m. 'a
Randall), Zephaniah, Isaiah, Mary (m. William Wal-
lace), Athalia (m. a Shepley), Martha (m. Robert
Wallace), and Ann (m. the Rev. Mr. :?auli). Archi-
bald McLenegan was possessed in a marked degree
of those sterling virtues which characterize the Scotch-
Irish. He was largely interested in farming operations
in Leacock township, and was a well-known citizen of
Lancaster in its early days, being the proprietor of
the old "White Horse Inn," which was situated at
the east end of King street, and which later became the
private residence of his son Zephaniah. He died in
1831.

JOSEPH AUBREY WHITE. The material ad-
vancement of the city of Reading has been conserved
in no small degree by Joseph A. White, who was for
a score of years one of the leading contractors and
builders of this county, as a member of the firm of
White & Wagoner. He now resides or a beauti-
ful little farmstead contiguous to the city and devotes
his attention principally to floriculture and the rais-
ing of fine poultry. He was born in Lancaster, Lan-
caster Co., Pa., June 17, 1853, son of William R. and
Rebecca E. (Cross) White.

William R. White was born in the City of New York,
in 1819, and was reared and educated in his native
city, where he learned the trade of cotton manufact-
uring, eventually becoming superintendent of a cotton
mill in New York. He remained there until about
1840, when he took up his residence in Lancaster, Pa.,
where he entered the employ of Arnold & Company,
leading cotton manufacturers, with which concern he
continued until 1895, when he permanently retired
from active business. The last six years of his life
were passed in the home of his son, Joseph A., where
he died in 1906, and where his widow still resides,
a revered member of the family circle. Mr. White
married in Lancaster, Rebecca E. Cross, a native of '
London, England, born in 1835, who accompanied her
parents to America, and located at Lancaster, Pa.
Mrs. White belongs to the Lutheran church, of which
her husband likewise was a member, and in politics



he was uncompromising in his allegiance to the Re-
publican party. Of the eight children of William R.
and Rebecca E. (Cross) White, Joseph Aubrey was
the oldest; Charles F. was born Aug. 3, 1858; Emily
Alice, Oct. 22, 1865; Ada R., Aug. 7; 1868 (is deceased);
Jessie May, March 27, 1870 (died in childhood); Laura
v., March 1, 1872; Mary W., Dec. 29. 1876; and Emma
R., March 2, 1879.

John Aubrey White was afforded the advantages
of the public schools of Lancaster, his native city,
and there he served a thorough apprenticeship at the
plasterer's trade, becoming a skilled artisan in the
line. For several years he followed the work of his
trade in New York City, and in 1885 he took up his
residence in Reading, where he engaged in contract-
ing and building, in partnership with John M. Wagoner.
The firm of White & Wagoner built up an extensive
business and attained a high reputation for reliabil-
ity and progressive methods. This firm erected about
one thousand buildings in the various sections of Read-
ing, and their enterprise and excellent work contributed
much to the substantial upbuilding and attractiveness
of the city.

Mr. White is recognized as a representative citizen
of Berks county, and has so ordered his course as to
retain at all times the confidence and good will of his
fellow men. He has shown a commendable inter-
est in all that pertains to the welfare of his home
city and county, and while he has never been a seeker
ot public office he has been signally observant of
the duties of citizenship, and has lent his co-opera-
tion in the furtherance of enterprises and projects
tending to advance the general welfare of the communi-
ty. In 1904 he retired from the contracting and build-
ing business, and purchased a small farm in the north-
east section of the city. On this place he has made fine
improvements of a permanent nature, including the erec-
tion of a handsome and commodious residence of modern
architectural design and equipment and he is living the
idyllic, life of a country gentleman, the while enjoying
also the advantages of the city. His farm is largely
given over to the cultivation of fine varieties of flow-
ers, for which he finds a ready market, and to the
breeding of high grades of poultry, in which line he
is producing some exceptionally attractive new strains.
He has secured premiums at various poultry shows
and takes much pride and interest' in his poultry busi-
ness. He is a Republican in his political proclivities
and both he and his wife are zealous members o-f the
Lutheran church.

In 1890 Mr. White married Miss Kate Sponsler,
daughter of Jacob and Lucy Sponsler, of Adams coun-
ty. Pa. They have no children. Mr. White has at-
tamed to success through his own efforts, and is one
ot the substantial and honored citizens of Berks coun-
ty, where he has a wide circle of acquaintances in
both business and social lines.

WILLIAM McH. BOYER, a substantial citizen of
Reading, Pa., who is acting in the capacity of chemist
for the Reading Iron Company, of that city, was
born in Reading, in 1869, son of Jerome L. Boyer.

Mr. Boyer secured his education in the schools of
his native city, and attended the high school at Birds-
boro, after graduating from which he returned to
Reading, later attending a school at Columbus, Pa.
He then entered a preparatory school in order to fit
himself to enter Lafayette College, Easton, Pa., from
which he graduated in chemistry in 1891, and in Aug-
ust of that year he accepted the position of chemist
with the Reading Iron Company. Mr. Boyer's labor-
atory is situated at the Keystone Furnace, where he
employs on an average of four men. Fraternally Mr
Boyer is connected with the Masons, being a member
of Lodge No. 549, F. & A. M. He' is a Lutheran in
religious belief, and attends Trinity Church of that
denomination.



BIOGRAPHICAL



707



In 1898 Mr. Boyer married Emily Eavenson, daugh-
ter of Alban Eavenson, who is well known in rfianu-
facturing circles of Philadelphia as a soap manufact-
urer, and to this union there have been born two sons,
Jerome Ludwig Boyer, 2d, and Howard Eavenson
Boyer.

JOEL M. SCHAEFFER, a retired business man of
Fleetwood, residing in a handsome home on Rich-
mond street, was born March 8, 1846, in Richmond
township, and has all his life been identified with that
section of Berks county.

When the good ship "Edinburgh" arrived at Phila-
delphia, on Aug. 13, 1750, it had among its passengers
one Georg Schaeflfer, who came from the Rhine val-
ley, in Germany, and was the first of his family to
settle in America. Proceeding to Berks county, he
established himself on a farm in Richmond township,
and there spent the rest of his life. His children were:
Elizabeth, Margaret, Maria, Peter and Philip.

Philip Schaefifer, son of Georg, was born in 1770,
on the old homestead in Richmond township. He was
a very successful farmer and remained on the old home-
stead. He made the first threshing machine in Berks
county. This proved a great labor saver, arid he con-
tinued in the manufacture of threshing machines dur-
ing the remaining years of his life. He married Eliza-
beth Fetherolf, who bore him eight sons and four
daughters, namely: George; Peter; Isaac; Jonathan;
Daniel; Philip; William; David; Sarah (m. Jacob De
Long); Elizabeth (m. Solomon Yoder); Anna Maria
(m. Isaac Merkel) ; and Esther (m. Francis De Long).
As each child became of age he or she was presented
with a farm. The children were all of unusually fine
physique, tall and strong, and finely proportioned.

Philip Schaefifer, Jr., son of Philip and father of
Joel M.. was a life-long farmer in Richmond town-
ship, and one whose efforts were richly rewarded. A
man of unassuming demeanor and upright character,
his most vital interest was his family, to whom he
was devoted. He was a member of the Reformed
Church of Fleetwood, and in politics was, like all. of
his name, a Democrat. He married Esther, daughter
of Jacob and Elizabeth (Sheradin; Merkel. The
Merkels are a family of German origin founded in
Pennsylvania by Georg, whose son Caspar was the
father of Jacob. Philip and Esther Schaefler became
the parents of seven children, viz.: Levina, Mrs. Sam-
uel Kelchner, of Fleetwood: Hettie, Mrs. Isaac De-
burk, of Kutztown; Elizabeth, who' died aged seven;
James, who married Susa.n Heibine, of Moselem Springs,
Pa.; Joel M.; Maria, Mrs. Martin Kelchner, of Fleet-
wood; and Martin, who married Susanna Rahn of
Fleetwood.

Joel M. Schaeffer spent his boyhood and youth on
his father's farm attending the local schools. This
was supplemented by a course in a school at Col-
legeville, Montgomery county. At 'the age of twenty-
four he married and his father gave him a farm near
his own and for five years the young man followed
agricultural pursuits. But in the spring of 1876 he sold
out his farm stock and entered upon a partnership
with Lewis Wanner that lasted until 1903. This firm,
Schaeffer. Wanner & Co., dealt in grain, coal and lum-
ber, and built up an extensive business. In 1885 they
reorganized with one new member in the firm, and
built a rolling mill with a capacity of seventy-
five barrels a day. They manufactured the White
Rose and Silver Cloud flour, which are more gener-
ally used in eastern Pennsylvania than the product
of any other mill in that section, while there is also
an active demand in the western part of New Jersey.
In 1903 Mr. Schaefifer sold out his interest in the
firm to his son-in-law John N. Kauffman. In 1909
Mr. Schaefifer bought the old Dumn mill property
at the west end of the borough of Fleetwood, and
formed a partnership with his son-in-law, John N.



Kauffman and his son, Walter P. Schaeffer, the firm
being known as Kauffman & Schaeffer.

In political views, Mr. Schaeiler has, somewhat de-
parted from family tradition and maintains an inde-
pendent stand, but he has always been decidedly ac-
tive in local affairs, while for six years he served in
the town council. He is also prominent in the Em-
manuel United Evangelical Church, in which both he
and his wife do much work. When the present build-
ing was erected in 1884 he was a member of the build-
ing committee and his plans and suggestions were
heartily approved by the others of the committee. For
nine years he has been treasurer of the Sunday-school
and is now class leader and teacher of the German
class. His wife is equally prominent in the women's
departments, belonging to the Ladies' Aid and Mis-
sionary societies, and to the W. C. T. U. Both are
highly esteemed for their upright and Christian lives.

Mrs. Schaeffer was Miss Caroline Catherine Kelch-
ner, and was married to Mr. Schaeffer Nov. 17, 1870.
She was a daughter of Jacob and Ann (Sheirer)
Kelchner, and granddaughter of Jacob Kelchner, Sr.
To her husband she has borne one daughter and one
son, namely: Anna Vanilla, who was educated at
Schuylkill Seminary, Frederick, Md., m. in 1894, John
N. Kauffman, and has two children, Joel Schaeffer
and Kathryn Willi; and Walter Philip, who was edu-
cated in the local schools and in Albright College,
Myerstown, Pa., where he took the English-Scien-
tific course, and who has also done much in voice
culture and is a vocalist and musician of note. He is
now a member of the firm of Kauffman & Schaeffer,
millers and coal dealers, at Fleetwood.

J. NEWTON RHOADS, a very well-known and
highly esteemed .resident of Reading. Pa., is an ofificial
court stenographer, to which oflfice he was appointed
Oct. 2, 1891. He is a son of John P. and Eliza ■ (Flick-
inger) Rhoads, natives of Carlisle, the former of whom
died in 1884, aged sixty-four years, and the latter in
1891, being seventy-four years old at the time of her
death. They had three children: Martha E., Alfred
Milton and J. Newton.

J. Newton Rhoads was .born Nov. 2, 1856, and was
educated in the Carlisle public schools and at Dickin-
son College, graduating from the latter institution in
1879. He then engaged in the newspaper business for
a time, after which he took up the study of stenog-
raphy, and engaged in work on the Legislative Record
for two years. The next spring he went to Harris-
burg, being employed there in the office of Col. W. C.
Deming for three or four years. He was ofificial sten-
ographer of the Cumberland County Court for two
years, and came to Reading as an assistant court sten-
ographer in 1886.

Mr. Rhoads married, May 30, 1892, Miss Susan E.
Rheem, daughter of Jacob Rheem, who was a descend-
ant of the founders of Reamstown, Lancaster county.
Two children were born to this union, Edith and Mar-
ian, both at school. Mr. Rhoads is a member of the
First Presbyterian Church of Reading. He is an en-
ergetic, conscientious worker, well fitted for the dut-
ies of his position.

EDWARD ZARTMAN SCHOLL, architect at Read-
mg, with oflfices at No. 35 North Sixth street, is
descended from two of the pioneer families, and of
which he bears both names. The first ancestor of
the Scholl family was one George Scholl, who set-
tled in the vicinity of Stouchsburg some few years
prior to 1727, and who was an intimate associate of
Conrad Weiser, the renowned pioneer. He is on rec-
ord of making the motion at the first Lutheran vestry
held in the county to build a church, the result of
which was the erection, in the year 1727, of a log
building, which became known as Reed's Church
so named after the donor of the ground. All of Mr



708 HISTORY OF BERKS COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA

Scholl's forefathers lived in the vicinity of this church, husband was Peter Rothermel of Richmond township,

near Stouchsburg. by whom she had one child, a daughter, Sarah

Peter Scholl. grandfather of Edward Z., was a Amanda, who married John Maurer, of Fleetwood,
farmer of Stouchsburg, and his son John Adam Scholl and died in January, 1907. Mr. Rothermel died at
married Amelia Zartman, the latter the eldest child of Fleetwood. She was next tnarried to Joseph E. Peter,
Levi Zartman, of Myerstown. The pioneer of the of Richmond township, and seven children were born
Zartman family was Alexander Zartman, who landed of this union: Mary, who died in childhood; Samuel;
in this country, at Philadelphia, Aug. 31, 1731. The Charles; Susanna, m. to Dr. A. K. Seaman of Read-
direct lineage in this family is Alexander the pioneer, ing; Emily, m. to Daniel Kelchner of Fleetwood;
who had a 'son Alexander (3), whose son Alexander and Solomon and Lillie, who both died in infancy.
(3), had a son Jacob, who was the father of Levi.

John Adam Scholl, the father, was a miller by YOST. The Yost family is one of the oldest in

occupation, and now lives retired. To him and his this section of the State, and two of its members,

wife Amelia were' born four children: Peter L., a Rufus _R. and James Franklin R. Yost, are represent-

contractor at Reading; Edward Z.; Sarah E., wife of ative citizens of Spring township, Berks county.

Walter Jones, electrician in the employ of the Phil- Philip Yost, or Jost as it was then spelled, was

adelphia & Reading Railroad; and Emma R., a pro- the ancestor of this family in America. He was horn

fessional nurse. in 1718 at Nassau, in western Germany, and when

Edward Z Scholl was born in Womelsdorf, Berks twenty-two years old came to America, locating in
county, Aug. 1, 1877. At an early age the' family moved Montgomery county, Pa., where he married Veronica
to Leaman Place, Lancaster county, where he re- Dotterer, a native of Limerick township, that county,
ceived his earliest education. After the removal of The'y had three sons: John, Harmon and Philip,
the family to Reading, in 1890, he attended the city one of the two first named being the great-great-grand-
schools, and then finished his education at the Key- father of Rufus R. and James Franklin R. Yost. The
stone State Normal School, Kutztown, Pa., and in last namea of these sons, Philip, Jr., was born in
Ursinus College, at Collegeville, Pa. ' He entered the Montgomery county Aug. 24, 1757, and in 1768 moved
office of Frederic A. Barrows, architect, for a term with his father to Pottsgrove township, where they
of two years, after which he served a nine months' purchased a tract of land which remained in the
apprenticeship in the Shunk Planing Mill and the family name for more than one hundred years. 'When
same length of time in the office of L. H. Focht, nineteen years of age Philip Yost, Jr., served in Gen-
contractor. He was next employed for five years eral Washington's army. In 1783 he married Rosina
in various architects' offices, and then opened an office Benninger, and they had these children: Mary Mag-
for himself in Reading, Pa. Mr. Sch'oU has shown dalena. Tobial, Jacob, Benjamin, Salome, Rosina, Her-
his ability as an architect in the numerous structures man, Jonas, Sarah and Philip. Mr. Yost died Aug.
that he is erecting, and has built up a practice not 28, 1832.

only in his own locality, but his reputation and busi- Abraham Yost, great-grandfather of Rufus R. arid

ness extends to many locations throughout the State. James F. R., came to Poplar Neck during the latter

Mr. Scholl is a member of Trinity Lutheran Church part of the eighteenth century, and here obtained a

of this city, and is regarded among the social circles farm, which later became the property of Gen. Wil-



Online LibraryMorton L. (Morton Luther) MontgomeryHistorical and biographical annals of Berks County, Pennsylvania, embracing a concise history of the county and a genealogical and biographical record of representative families, comp. by Morton L. Montgomery .. → online text (page 202 of 227)
Using the text of ebook Historical and biographical annals of Berks County, Pennsylvania, embracing a concise history of the county and a genealogical and biographical record of representative families, comp. by Morton L. Montgomery .. by Morton L. (Morton Luther) Montgomery active link like:
read the ebook Historical and biographical annals of Berks County, Pennsylvania, embracing a concise history of the county and a genealogical and biographical record of representative families, comp. by Morton L. is obligatory.

Leave us your feedback | Links exchange | RSS feed 

Online library ebooksread.com © 2007-2014