Morton L. (Morton Luther) Montgomery.

Historical and biographical annals of Berks County, Pennsylvania, embracing a concise history of the county and a genealogical and biographical record of representative families, comp. by Morton L. Montgomery .. online

. (page 204 of 227)
Online LibraryMorton L. (Morton Luther) MontgomeryHistorical and biographical annals of Berks County, Pennsylvania, embracing a concise history of the county and a genealogical and biographical record of representative families, comp. by Morton L. Montgomery .. → online text (page 204 of 227)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


days. He m. Susan Bechtel, and lived eleven miles
up Maiden Creek. (2) John V. R., born Jan. 29, 1804,
died July 5, 1864, aged sixty years, five months, six
days. He inherited the homestead. He m. Anne Mil-
ler, (3) Joshua, born Dec. 25, 1805, died Dec. 12,
1826, aged twenty years, eleven months, seventeen
days. (4) Mary T., born Sept. 11, 1807, m. Peter
Bright, and moved to Danville, Montour Co., Pa.
(5) Charles V. R. is mentioned farther on. (6) Abner,
born Dec. 25, 1811, died May 21, 1816, aged four years,
four months, twenty-six days. (7) Hannah was born
Feb. 10, 1814. (8) Henry V. R., born Jan. 8, 1818,
died Oct. 29, 1838, aged twenty years, nine months,
twenty-one days. He inherited the mill property. (9)
Anna Elizabeth, born May 10, 1821, m. Thomas H.
Jones, who died in 1850. Mrs. Jones resides in Reading.

Charles Van Reed Evans was born March 4, 1810.
He received his education in the common schools, the
teacher being paid by the patrons of the school. He
gave his time to his father on the farm, and with his
patrimony purchased his farm in Lower Heidelberg,
where he continued throughout his active days, fol-
lowing farming. He spent the last twenty years of
his life in retirement, and died April 13, 1891, at the
age of eighty-one years, one month, three days, and
was buried at Sinking Spring. He was a Republican
in politics, and held a number of township offices, was
frequently appointed administrator, executor and
guardian, and was of well known integrity. In 1836
he married Maria Spohn, daughter of William and
Catharine (Miller) Spohn, and to them were born a
family of thirteen children, namely: Josiah S., a sol-
dier in the Civil war, who served in the 90th Ohio
regiment under Captain Carpenter, and died in a
Southern hospital. Feb. 26, 1863; Margaret E.; Jane
who resides at No. 115 North Third street, Reading;
Amanda, deceased; John H., m. to Margaret J. Van
Reed; Maria C, Catharine, James, Sarah and Katie E.,
all deceased; P. Thomas, of Iowa, m. to Sally H.
Shepp; Annie S., who died Sept. 24, 1901; and Mor-
decai, who died young.



713



HISTORY OF BERKS COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



John HE>fRY Evans^ a retired farmer^ and promi-
nent citizen of Lower Heidelberg township, was born
March 6. 1844, north of Womelsdorf, in Marion town-
ship, son of Charles V. R. Evans. He was educated
in the district schools and was licensed to teach when
seventeen years old by Prof. John S. Ermentrout,
superintendent of schools of Berks county. He taught
his first two terms at Buck's schoolhouse in Lower
Heidelberg township, and then worked for his par-
ents until he was married, when he commenced tenant
farming, and carried it on for fourteen years. At the
end of this time he went to Reading, remaining until
after his father's death, and then located on the home
farm, a fine tract of 165 acres in the Cacoosing dis-
trict. His home is one mile due west from Cacoosing,
along the Bernville road, and two mi'es due north of
Sinking Spring, on one of the old Van Reed farms,
which was fqrmerly the property of the Samuel Jones
estate. Samuel Jones had erected a house for his ten-
ants on the corner of his farm in 1791, and a stone from
the barn built in 1796 is to be found in the Evans barn
wall. The present residence, however, is a two and
one-half story brick dwelling, and is built in Colonial
style. Mrs. Evans also owned a farm of 116 acres in
Lower Heidelberg township, her farm and that of her
husband being divided by that of Annie V. R. Addams.

Mr.' Evans married Margaret Jones Van Reed,
daughter of Jacob and Mary (Jones) Van Reed, and
to this union there have been born two sons: Charles
V. R., a farmer residing at home; and Jacob V. R.,
a chemist for the Elk Tanning Company, at Ridgway,
Elk Co., Pa. They are both unmarried. Mr. Evans
is a Republican in politics, and has efficiently served
his township as school director for three years, has
been delegate to numerous county conventions, and
assistant assessor for twelve years. During the Civil
war he served in Company 1, 11th Pennsylvania Vol-
unteers. He is a member of St. John's Church, at
Sinking Spring, which his wife also attends, there
being no. church of her faith, the Episcopal, in this
district. Both Mr. and Mrs. Evans are intelligent,
refined people, and are not only well known in this
district but have a large acquaintance in Reading.

The Evans family has intermarried with other prom-
inent and old established families of this section, where
they have remained for nearly 17^ years, and its mem-
bers are thus related to the Yosts, Gernands, Van
Reeds, Joneses and Biedlers — all well known and of
good standing.

Mrs. Eve (Yost) Van Reed, mother of Anna Eliza-
beth Van Reed, who married Philip' Thomas Evans,
had three sisters and one brother, namely: Mrs. Ris-
ser, Mrs. Abraham Gernard, Mrs. Hersh and Abra-
ham Yost.

Abraham Yost married a Hursh (or Hirsh), who
died young, leaving six children: Two daughters mar-
ried Mosers, two married Biedlers, one had her home
with her sister Magdalena (Yost) Biedler, and one
son married a Sidel. Mrs. Magdalena (Yost) Biedler
lived to be nearly ninety years of age; her daughter
Mary Ann married a Brobst.

Thus it will be seen that Eve (Yost) Van Reed,
grandmother of Charles Van Reed Evans, was a sis-:
ter of Abraham Yost and of Mrs. Abraham Gernard,
whose grandson, Abraham Gernard. married Emma
Evans, daughter of John V. R. Evans and grand-
daughter of Philip Thomas Evans.

(3USTAVUS AUGUSTUS BEHNE, a distinguished
artist, whose widow has made her home in her native
city of Reading since his death, was himself well known
there, both because of his own attainments and as a son
of the beloved Dr. John Henry Behne.

Dr. John Henry Behne was born in Nordhausen, Prus-
sia, in the year 1800, and attended different German
universities, graduating in medicine at Wiirzburg, Bavaria.
Coming to America in 1840, he located in Reading the



same year, and continued to practise his profes.sion there
from that time until his death, Aug. 1, 1876. Dr. Behne
began his medical career as an allopath in Nordhausen,
Prussia. In studying the works of Hahnemann, the pio-
neer of homeopathy, he changed to the new school. He
met with opposition and this opposition was the cause
of his coming to America. He settled in Reading and was
one of the first practitioners of that school in the city.
Dr. Behne was not only a skilled physician, but a cultured
gentleman, and his fine personal appearance and courteous
manners clothed gracefully a character fine and strong,
which won him numerous friends aside from the profes-
sional popularity he attained. He was particularly well
liked among those of his own nationality, but the circle
of his friendship and patronage was not by any means
confined to the German residents of Reading, and he en-
joyed an extensive practice, numbering among his regular
patients many of the most influential and well-to-do fam-
ilies of the city. People often came to him from diiTerent
parts of the State for medical treatment. The Doctor be-
came an enthusiastic American citizen, taking a deep and
intelligent interest in the progress of his adopted country.
He was an Odd Fellow, for many years an active member
and secretary of Germania Lodge, No. 53. He was twice
married, the first time in Germany, to the daughter of
a Prussian officer, a lady of much ability. She died in
Reading soon after they settled here, the mother of one
child, Gustavus Augustus. Rather late in life the Doctor
married for his second wife a Miss Zabel, of New York,
and by that marriage ' there are two sons to continue the
name, Albert and Paul Behne, who reside in Milwaukee,
Wisconsin.

Gustavus Augustus Behne was born in 1828 in Nord-
hausen, Prussia. Like his father he was a man of fine
personal appearance, and he was remarkably gifted in
many ways, his natural endowments being supplemented
by training in the best universities in Europe. His
mind was highly cultivated, and he was a fine linguist
and talented musician. But his artistic nature showed
itself most strongly in his painting, and he was thor-
oughly prepared for his artistic career in the Dusseldorf
school, and later in the Munich galleries. He took a
special course in portrait painting .under Sully at Phila-
delphia.

In 1856 Mr. Behne married Julia Mayer Kfeim, who
was born in Reading, daughter of Gen. George May, and
Julia C. (Mayer) Keim. She was thoroughly educated
in the Reading Academy, which was located on the
present site of the Girls' high school, and was also taught
by a private tutor at Philadelphia, while her -father
was officiating there as United States marshal for the
Eastern district of Pennsylvania. In 1857 Mr. and Mrs.
Behne went to Texas, Mr. Behne having received a
commission to paint the portrait of General Sam Hous-
ton, for which the State paid him $1,200 in gold. They
spent some time there, Mr. Behne painting afterward
the portraits of Governor Burnett and other distinguished
men. On account of the Rebellion they went to Havana,
remaining there until 1867, when they went to Munich.
While there Mr. Behne produced a number of superior
paintings, for which he received high praise from German
critics, and Mrs. Behne took up the study of foreign
languages and music, becoming proficient in Continental
literature, and learning to speak fluently the German,
French, Spanish and Italian tongues. She gave special at-
tention to music, both vocal and instrumental, m which
line her accomplishments are particularly noteworthy, a
source of the deepest pleasure to herself and her friends
through many years.

Mr. and Mrs. Bel^ne remained abroad until 1874, wh^n
they returned to Reading because of Mr. Behne's illness,
staying there until his death in 1876. In that same
year, while at Bar Harbor, Maine, where they went to
procure marine views (for which he had orders), Mr.
Behne fell from the rocks and injured his back so se-
verely that he never recovered from the effects of the
accident. He was obliged to abandon all idea of carry-
ing on his work there, and he and his wife returned to




io £ i" m/A^-^s S Src //]'"



BIOGRAPHICAL



713



'Germany, and made their home in the village of Fursten-
feld Bruck, near Munich, where Mr. Behtie was finally
released from suffering in 1895. He was the last of his
family for a long time, until his father's second marriage.
Mrs. Behne took up her residence at Reading after her
husband's death, and has been residing there ever since.
From her girlhood she has been a member of the Prot-
estant Episcopal Church. Having always appreciated
history and literature, she quite naturally became inter-
ested in the welfare of the Reading Free Library and
the Berks County Historical Society, and besides giving
them financial assistance, presented to each of these
worthy institutions a number of her husband's valuable
paintings, which are highly prized for their artistic merit.
Many of his productions have an honored place in Read-
ing homes.

EDWIN ADDAMS QUIER has pas'sed practically
all his life in Reading, where he was born Aug. 14,
1869, son of Levi and Emma (Addams) Quier.

Levi Quier has been a prominent business man in
.Reading for many years. Born at Rittersville, in
Lehigh county, Pa., March 11, 1835, he was there
educated in the public schools, and upon the opening
of his active years learned the business of construct-
ing blast furnaces for the manufacture of iron, under
his uncles, Isaac and Samuel McHose, who were well
known furnace builders of Lehigh county. After that
experience he served for five years as bookkeeper
and paymaster for the Allentown Iron Company, and
then from 1859 to 1861 was engaged in the construc-
tion of blast furnaces, one of them being at Rich-
mond, Va. Meantime his patriotism had become
aroused by the stirring events of the Civil war period,
and in the latter part of 1863 he assisted in organ-
izing a company at Allentown for the Union service
— Company K, 54th Pennsylvania Volunteers. He was
commissioned first lieutenant, and served with that
rank until January, 1864, when he was appointed
quartermaster of the regiment, continuing in that
position until he received his honorable discharge
from the service, in September, 1864. By. special de-
tachment he served as recruiting officer at different
places, and later as quartermaster on the staff of
Gen. j. M. Campbell, participating especially in the
campaigns in the Shenandoah valley.

At the conclusion of his military service Mr. Quier
locate'd at Reading, where he became interested in
the manufacture of fire brick, securing an interest in
the firm of McHose & Thompson, of which his uncle,
Isaac McHose, was the senior partner. This was in
the year 1865, and throughout the forty and more
years intervening since that time he has continued
his connection with the v^orks, which during all this
time have been under his direct management, and of
which he is now practically the sole owner.

In 1868 Mr. Quier married Emma Addams, daughter
of Reuben E. Addams, of Reading, formerly of On-
telaunee township, Berks county, and to them has been
born one son, Edwin Addams. Mr. and Mrs. Quier
were members of tlje First Reformed Church of Read-
ing until the organization of St. Paul's Memorial Re-
formed Church, in 1872, when they withdrew from
their original connection to assist in the establish-
ment of the new congregation, of which they have
since been active members. He was one of the build-
ing committee of the church, serving as secretary of
that body, and he and his uncle, Isaac McHose,^ are
now the only surviving members of that committee.
For over twelve years following the organization of
the congregation, Mr. Quier officiated- as deacon and
trustee.

Though he is best known in business circles as a
manufacturer of fire brick, Mr. Quier has been iden-
tified with the management of the National Union Bank
for twenty years, during which time he has served as
a member of the board of directors; he co-operated
with other enterprising capitalists of Reading in estab-
lishing the electric light and power plant, and the



steam heat plant, for supplying the community with
light, power and heat— all of which projects have been
very successful, demonstrating their utility so that
they have been highly appreciated in the community.
Mr. Quier has always been a public-spirited man, and
he represented the First ward as one of the Republi-
can school controllers in the board of controllers from
1878 to 1882.

Edwin Addams Quier received his early education
in the Reading public schools, graduating from the
high school in 1885. He then entered Lehigh Uni-
versity, graduating from that institution in 1891, after
a course in analytical chemistry. Upon his return to
Reading, after graduation, he secured an interest in
the Reading Fire Brick Works, with which his father
has so long been connecte'd, and he has since been
identified with that important industrial concern. He
has served as secretary and later as treasurer, and
has proved himself a success in business as well as in
professional work.

In 1895, Mr. Quier was married to Helen Hawley,
daughter of Jesse G. and Kate (Ritter) Hawley, and
they have had three children: Hawley, Catherine and
Edith. Mr. Quier is a member of St. Paul's Memorial
Reformed Church, and his wife is connected with Christ
P. E. Church.

Upon the death of Mr. Jesse G. Hawley, who was
the owner of the Reading Eagle, the leading newspaper
publication of Reading, the Reading Eagle Company
was incorporated, and Mr. Quier was chosen vice-
president, in which capacity he has since assisted in the
management of the publication.

TOBIAS K. SHENK, a prosperous business man of
Rea'ding, Pa!, who is proprietor of Shenk's Carriage
and Wagon Works, Nos. 1137-1149 Moss street, was
born in Dauphin county. Pa., son of Peter and Sarah
(Kreider) Shenk.

Peter Shenk, who was for many years engaged in
farming and carpentering, during which time he gained
an honestly earned reputation as a skilled mechanic
and practical farmer, is now living retired in Le-
banon county. Pa., where for some years he served
as school 'director, a position to which he was elected
on the Republican ticket. He and his wife are mem-
bers of the United Christian Church. They have had
six children, three of whom survive, namely: Mary,
m. to Harry Hocker, of Hockersville, Dauphin county;
Sarah, m. to Isaac Imiboden, oi Cleona, Lebanon coun-
ty; and Tobias K.

Tobias K. Shenk was four years of age when his
parents removed to Lebanon county, where he re-
mained on the home farm until twenty-two years of
age. He was then married to Miss Emma Longeneck-
er, daughter of Benjamin and Anna Longenecker, of
Dauphin county. He engaged in farming until the age
of thirty years, when he came to Reading, and carried
on contracting until 1903. In that year he began the
manufacture and general repair of wagons, and the
steady increase of his business has demanded more
floor space and machinery until he now has one of the
best equipped plants in the city.

Mr. and Mrs. Shenk are the parents of five children:
Clayton, Viola, Raymond, Harry and Mary. In re-
ligious belief the family are connected with the Evan-
gelical Church. Mr. Shenk is a Republican in politics.

ROBERT P. R. HUYETT, M. D.. one of the lead-
ing medical practitioners of Reading, Pa., whose of-
fices are situated on North Tenth street, has been
engaged in practice in this city since 1893. Dr. Huyett
was born in 1854, in Cumru township, Berks county
son of Joseph G. and Mary A. (Pennypacker) Huyett'

Isaac Huyett, grandfather of Dr. Robert P. R., was a
farmer and cattle dealer in Cumru township, carrying
on extensive operations for many years, and becom-
ing known as a substantial business man and in-
fluential citizen. He married a Miss Gaul, by whom



714



HISTORY OF BERKS COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



he had these children: Isaac; Joseph G. • Mary Ann, m.
(first) to Christian Gaul, and (second) to Henry Het-
tinger; Kate, m. to James' Pennypacker; Elizabeth,
m. to Samuel Reifsnyder; and Sarah, m. to Henry
Close. In religious belief the family were Lutherans,
in the faith of which church Mr. Huyett died aboi.it
1867, at the age of sixty-one years. His wife died in
1864.

Joseph G. Huyett in his young manhood assiste'd his
father in the cattle business, and later engaged therein
on his own account, also operating a farm and mill,
to the latter of which he gave his entire attention in
later life. About twelve years prior to his death, in
1900, he removed to Chester county. His wife, Mary
A. Pennypacker, who survives him, resides in Wilming-
ton, Del., with her daughter. Four children were born
to Joseph G. Huyett and wife, as follows: Dr. Robert
P. R. ; Isaac W., deceased ; Joseph and Cora A., m.. to
A. Ladd, of Wilmington, Del. The family are Luth-
erans in religious belief.

Robert P. R. Huyett received his preliminary educa-
tion in the schools of Berks county, the Reading
Academy, and Prof. Farr's Commercial Business Col-
lege, and read medicine under Dr. Christian Hoflfman
of Sinking Spring, and with Drs. Schomaker and Pan-
coast, then entering Jefferson Medical College, from
which he was graduated in 1879. After taking a post-
graduate course in Philadelphia, Dr. Huyett located at
Temple, where he remained in practice for eighteen
years, an'd in 1893 came to Reading, where he has since
continued in his profession.

Dr. Huyett married (first) Mary A. Brown, a native
of Robeson township, who died in 1892. He m. (sec-
ond) Ida (Grush) Michael. Dr. Huyett is a member
of the P. O. S. of A., of the Commandery of that order,
and of the Knights of the Maccabees.

WILLIAM SHOEMAKER MOHR, a highly es-
teemed resident of Reading, Pa., and former cashier
of the Citizens' Bank thereof, was born at Mohrsville,
Berks Co., Pa., June 28, 1844, son of Charles H. Molir.

The town of Mohrsville was founded by the great-
grandfather of William S. Mohr, who cartie from Ger-
many and settled in Berks county. His son, Jacob,
was born at Mohrsville, and was widely known as the
tavern-keeper there.

Charles H. Mohr, father of William S., was also
born at Mohrsville, and when a young man learned
the tanning trade, later engaging in that business
at his native place. However, he finally disposed of
his tanyard and engaged in the lumber business, in
which he continued until his death, in 1867, aged fifty-
three years. He married Sophia Kerchner Shoemaker,
born in 1820, who is stiU living and spends her sum^
mers at her country home at Mohrsville, and her
winters with her 'daughter, Mrs. Rebecca Addams, at
Reading. The children born to Mr. and Mrs. Charles
H. Mohr were : Mrs. Addams, whose son, Charles P.,
is in the office of the attorney general at Harrisburg;
William Shoemaker; and Charles Shoemaker, now de-
ceased.

William Shoemaker Mohr attended the public schools
of Mohrsville, and came to Reading in 1863, engaging
with the Phila'delphia & Reading Railroad Company as
an apprentice to the machinist's trade. After serving
his time he was employed in the paymaster's office until
1887 as assistant paymaster, and in April of the year
following he was one of the original organizers of the
Citizens' Bank, which was opened May 10, 1888, with
these officers: George D. Stitzel, president; Jerome L.
Boyer, vice-president; and William S. Mohr, cashier.
This organization, which was capitalized at 125,000,
merged with the Second National Bank of Reading
Feb. 8, 1903. Since that time Mr. Mohr has retired
from active business, living at his home at No, 203
North Sixth street.

Mr. Mohr was married Jan. 23, 1873, to Miss Cather-
ine Stitzel, daughter of the late George D. Stitzel,



who died in 1905. Mrs. Mohr passed away Dec. 34,
1877. The only son of this union died when three
weeks old. In politics Mr. Mohr is a Republican.
He has served as secretary of the Tax Payers' League
since its organization in August, 1905. He is a mem-
ber of Trinity Church, and is treasurer thereof.

DR. ALLEN J. FINK, formerly a druggist at Ham-
burg, Pa., and a very highly esteemed citizen of that
borough, was born in Hamburg, Berks county, Nov. 13,
1860, son of Davi'd H. and Jane E. (Gift) Fink, and
grandson of Peter Finck.

Peter Finck was born in Greenwich township in
1783, and carried on farming near Virginville until his
decease in 1853. He married Magdalena Heflner, born
1790, died 1852, daughter of George and Mary Heflner.
They had nine children: Kate, Mary. Ann, Betsey,
Abraham, Malara, Joel, Harriet and David H.

David H. Fink was born in Perry township in 1833,
and there carried on farming for a number of years,
later removing to Hamburg, where he was engaged in
the hotel business in the "American House" for thirty-
five years. After living retired for several years he
died in 1893, at the age of sixty years. He was mar-
ried to Jane E. Gift, daughter of William Gift, and
their only child was Dr. Allen J.

Dr. Allen J. Fink fitted himself to become a compe-
tent pharmacist by studying and practising in the. drug
store of Dr. J. H. Stein, at Reading, for two years,
and taking a course of lectures in the Philadelphia
College of Pharmacy, from which he was graduated
in 1888. He located in Hamburg in 1887, for the
purpose of carrying on the drug business and manu-
facturing specialties, and he conducted his store in
a very successful manner. In 1895 Dr. Fink associated
with Thomas Raubenhol'd and Solomon K. Hoffman,
Esq., for the manufacture of underv/ear at Hamburg.
For this enterprise they erected a two-story br'ck
building, and they have carried on the business ever
since, trading under the name of the Hamburg Knit-
ting Mills. In 1906, Dr. Fink gave up the drug busi-
ness and has since devoted himself wholly to his in-
terests in the mills.

In 1903, Dr. Fink was selected by the citizens of
the place as one of the building committee of the new
Public Library, this being erected and opened to the
public in 1904. At the expiration of the Doctor's term
he was re-elected. When St. John's Lutheran Church
was rebuilt, in 1898, after its complete destruction by
fire. Dr. Fink presented in the name of himself and
wife a solid brass lectern, and also one of the three
large windows in the west end of the building, both
of which present a magnificent appearance, and are
highly appreciated.

Dr. Fink married Amy Withers, daughter of George
and Joanna (Kalbach) Withers, and they have one
child, a son, Langhorn.

MOYER. Few families of Heidelberg township can



Online LibraryMorton L. (Morton Luther) MontgomeryHistorical and biographical annals of Berks County, Pennsylvania, embracing a concise history of the county and a genealogical and biographical record of representative families, comp. by Morton L. Montgomery .. → online text (page 204 of 227)