Morton L. (Morton Luther) Montgomery.

Historical and biographical annals of Berks County, Pennsylvania, embracing a concise history of the county and a genealogical and biographical record of representative families, comp. by Morton L. Montgomery .. online

. (page 206 of 227)
Online LibraryMorton L. (Morton Luther) MontgomeryHistorical and biographical annals of Berks County, Pennsylvania, embracing a concise history of the county and a genealogical and biographical record of representative families, comp. by Morton L. Montgomery .. → online text (page 206 of 227)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


made guildmaster in 1550; senator in 1583, and died
in 1596. Melchior Guldin, Jr., was born in 1571 and



ns



HISTORY OF BERKS COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



died in 1645. He was a town clerk in 1604. Paul Gul-
din was born of Evangelical parents in 1577. In 1597
he joined the Jesuits, became professor of mathematics
at Gratz and Vienna, and died at Gratz, Nov. 3, 1643.
He was the author of five Latin books.

(I) Hans Joachim Guldin was born at St. Gall,
Switzerland, and became a citizen of Berne in 1633.
The maiden name of his wife was Susanna Tribolet,
and their children were: Hans, born Feb. 4, 1635; Anna,
born Sept. 23, 1636; Samuel, born Sept. 22, 1638.

(II) Hans Joachim T. Guldin, born at Berne, Feb.
4, 1635, married Anna Maria Koch, and their children
were Maria, born Aug. 24, 1660, died in infancy; An-
na Maria, born March 19, 1662, died in infancy; Sam-
uel K., born June 8, 1664, died Dec. 31, 1745; Anna
Magdalena, born June 18, 1667.

(III) Rev. Samuel K. Guldin, born at Berne, June
8, 1664, married Mary Magdalena Malacrida, and came
to Philadelphia, Pa., Sept. 34, 1710, and died at Rox-
boro, Dec. 31, 1745. His children were: Samuel M.,
born Nov. 8, 1693, at Stettlen, Switzerland; Maria
Catherine, born at Stettlen, Jan. 8, 1696; Christoffel,
born at Berne. July 17, 1697; Emanuel Fred, born at
Berne, March 13, 1699.

(IV) Samuel M- Guldin settled in Oley township,
Berks county, in 1718, and on May 22, 1722, he married
Elizabeth Hilsaweck. By occupation he was a black-
smith and farmer. His children were: Samuel; Sus-
anna; John; Mary Magdalena m. Frederick Leinbach;
Frederick; Daniel H.; Joanna Esther; and Clara Eliza-
beth.

(V) Daniel H. Guldin was born in Oley, April 30,
1735, and married Catherine Elizabeth Geltbach. He
acquired a farm of 260 acres, adjoining the Yellow
House property on the north. His children were:
Samuel died in infancy; Daniel; John; Jacob; Samuel
(2) died in infancy; John G.; Elizabeth; George;
Abraham; Samuel (3); Frederick; Peter; David.

(VI) John G. Guldin, born Oct. 18, 1770, married
Mary Cronrath, and died June 13, 1853. His children
were: Daniel; Samuel C. m. Catharine DeHart Ludwig;
Rev. John C, D. D.; David; Charles; Abraham C. ;
and Isaac.

(VII) Abraham 'C. Guldin, born Aug. 10, 1811, mar-
ried Susanna Y. Weaver, and died April 8, 1884. His
wife was born Aug. 23, 1812, and died May 14, 1876.
Their children were: Isaac W.; Jeremiah; Albert; Han-
nah and George.

(VIII) Isaac W. Guldin, born in Amity township,
Berks county, Dec. 4, 1834, died in the fall of 1907.
He was a well-known and highly respected citizen
of his locality, for many years having been a music
teacher of Reading. He was twice married. On Dec.
31, 1857, he m. Amelia Van Buskirk. On April 24,
1884, he- m. (second) Amanda Hoch Custer. Both of
his wives were granddaughters of Eva Rosina Lutz
Ludwig.

(IX) James H. Guldin, a farmer of Maxatawny town-
ship, was born in this township, on the old Guldin
farm, March 25, 1867. Reared to farm life, he has
continued in this line of work all his life. At first he
worked for his father, but upon coming of age he
started 'to farm for himself on the old Charles Miller
farm near Monterey. His education was a limited one
because of the many demands made upon him in his
boyhood, but he has added to his knowledge by obser-
vation and experience and is now a very well informed
man. In 1893 Mr. Guldin moved to Longswamp town-
ship where he lived some time, and then went to Litz-
enberg, in Lehigh county, but in 1896 he settled in
Maxatawny township, and has purchased the old home-
stead from the other heirs. This consists of 123 acres
of excellent land upon which he made his home until
1901, when he sold the property to Phaon Heflfner,
and bought the old Stephen Leibelsberger farm near
Maxatawny Zion Church, consisting of 92 acres of
valuable land. The barn on this property was built



in 1828 by Leibelsberger. The farm is well stocked
with eleven head of cattle and ten head of horses. Fra-
ternally Mr. Guldin is a member of the Jr. O. U. A. M.
of New Smithville, Pa. He has been active in public
affairs, and is serving his third year as school director;
and he has also been delegate to various county con-
ventions, and been judge of elections,, etc. He and
his family are members of Zion Union Church of
Maxatawny township, of which he has served as
deacon.

On Sept. 4, 1885, Mr. Guldin married Nellie C.
Kershner, a daughter of George W. and Ellen (Shomo)
Kershner, of Hamburg. Eight children have been
born to them: Charles J.; Solon R. ; Mamie M.; Grov-
er J.; Eva S.; James S.; Lawson W. and Florence
M. Mr. Guldin comes of an old family whose repre-
sentatives are well known throughout Pennsylvania
and he himself is much respected in his community.



Mahlon Guldin, son of Reuben W., of Maxatawny
township, was born on his father's homestead, Jan.
25, 1863, and was there reared and received his early
education. Later he attended the Keystone State Nor-
mal School, from which he was graduated in 1879, and
subsequently he took a post-graduate course at the
same institution. He commenced teaching in his na-
tive township when but seventeen years of age, and he
has since taught twenty-two terms in his home district,
in addition to one term in Lehigh county, a
rather remarkable record. ' Mr. Guldin is one of the
active teachers of Berks county. During the summer
months he is engaged in various lines. Since 1896,
he has been engaged in the poultry business, and is
much interested in it, he making a specialty of fancy
poultry, especially buff and partridge cochins.

Mr. Guldin is a Democrat, and takes an active part
in public afifairs, serving as register and assessor of
the district and he has been sent as delegate to num-
erous county conventions. He is a member of Camp
141, P. O. S. of A., of Rothrocksville, of which he is
past president, and he wa? district president of Dis-
trict No. 6. During his incumbency a new district was
instituted at Longswamp. Mr. Gulden is a member of
the Reformed Church, and his wife is a member of
the Lutheran denomination of Maxatawny Zion Church.

On Nov. 18, 1893, Mr. Guldin was married to Miss
Stella M. Fisher, a daughter of Charles S. and Emma
(Grim) Fisher of Krumsville, granddaughter of Benja-
min Fisher, of Greenwich. Two children have been
born of this marriage, Ira C, R. and Homer F.

Reuben W. Guldin, the father of Mahlon Guldin
was born in Exeter township, Berks county, Feb. 18,
1818. and was reared in this district, coming later to
Maxatawny town:ship, and settling on the State road
near Monterey, upon a farm consisting of 123 acres of
valuable land. He farmed all his life and lived retired,
from active labor six years prior to his death, which"
occurred in June, 1894, when he was seventy-six years
old. He was a member of Maxatawny Zion Church,
Reformed, where he is buried. For many years he
was a church official and was a good man, held in
great respect. The maiden name of his wife was Mary
Geschwindt, and they liad fifteen children- Sarah
Garion; Matilda; Valentine; Jeremiah; David (died
aged seven years); Elias; Ellen; Kate; Amanda; Al=ce-
Reuben; Mahlon; Senora and James.

ALLISON F. McGOWAN, who died at his home in
Readmg, May 34, 1897, was for many years prom-
inently identified with the business interests of the
city, as a dealer in coal, lime and sand. Mr. McGowan
was born at Geiger's Mills, Union township, Berks
county, son of John and Elizabeth (Geiger) McGowan

John McGowan, whose father was a native of Ire-
land, was a well-known agriculturist of Union town-
ship, where his entire life was spent. He and his
wife, Elizabeth Geiger, were leading members of St



BIOGRAPHICAL ^19

Paul's ("Old Forest") M. E. Church. They had the John; Christian; David, who lives in Ohio; a son who
following children: George, James. Jolin F., Allison F., died in Indiana; and Mrs. Daniel Ballett. Christian
Howard. Sarah, Mary, Elizabeth, Harriet, Emily, Kate Rauenzahn was the owner of a large Bible, the print-
^r,H \A/ilH3m ' ■" ' ■' ing of which was begun m 1537 and was completed

and William. ■ a u- a ,■ ■ ,h i" 1535. This was a Tare and valuable book, and the

Allison F. McGowan received his education in the commissioners of the Centennial, held at Philadel-
Union township schools, and afterward engaged for pjjj^ ;,., j^g^g^ ^^^^ ^^^^ effort to secure it to place
a short time in teaching. He then became_ a clerk q„ exhibition, sending a man from Philadelphia to
in McGowan & Miltimore's hardware store, in Read- Pricetown. he however failing to secure it. This old
ing, where he remained several years, and afterward relic passed from Christian to his son Gideon, and
connected himself with the firm of Bright & Lerch, with from the latter to his son John, who procured it at
whom he continued for five years. At the end of public sale, and was sold by him to a concern in Phil-
this time Mr. McGowan purchased an interest in the adelphia.

firm of High & Geiger, coal, sand and lime dealers, Gideon Rauenzahn, son of Christian, was born in
and after Mr. High's retirement the business was Richmond township, and died upon his 331-acre farm
carried on by Mr. Geiger. When the latter gentleman in Ruscombmanor township, in about 1867, when near-
left the business, Mr. McGowan assumed _ charge, \y eighty years of age. He was a stone mason by
and carried this on until his death, the enterprise being trade, an occupation which was adopted and followed
very successful. Mr. McGowan was always consid- by seven of his sons. He married Elizabeth Brown,
ered a man of much business ability, careful and daughter of Daniel Brown of Pricetown, and they
industrious, and he was rated one of the city's sue- had a family of thirteen children, as follows:' Solo-
cessful and representative men. He was a member of mon met his death by drowning, in 1842; Sarah m.
the I. O. O. F-. of Reading, ana of St. Peter's M. E. Benjamin Wentzel; Hannah m. Daniel Mannville, and
Church of Reading. ' He was a great lover of music, died in Oklahoma; David died at Philadelphia in
and was the choir-master of St. Peter's church for i887; William B.: Daniel was a stonemason at Price-
twenty years. town; Jacob, carried on that trade at Reading; Eliz-

Mr. McGowan married Miss Louisa Geiger, the abeth m. Nicholas Bechtel; Israel, a stone mason of
daughter of Levi and Mary (Zerr) Geiger, and to this Reading, met his death in a railroad accident; Gideon
union there were born three children: Howard L. was a stone mason of Reading; John, a stone mason
and Allison J., both deceased; and William H., who of Philadelphia, is now deceased; Mary m. Amos
is engaged in the manufacture of underwear at Nos. Brown, of Stowe, Pa.; and Emeline died young.
746-748 Cherry street, the firm being known as the William B. Rauenzahn was born May 6, 1831, in
Eclipse Knitting Company, and who is the organist Ruscombmanor township, Berks county, and was
and choirmaster at St. Barnabas P. E. church, Reading, reared on his father's farm, upon which he worked

until past eighteen years of age, at which time he

DR. OLIVER H. FISHER was born Oct. S3, 1850, learned the blacksmith's trade in Ontelaunee town-
in Douglass township, Berks Co., Pa., son- of Silas ship, with Abraham Hughes. This occupation he fol-
W. and Anna (Hartman) Fisher, and erandson of lowed for two years, and then went to Perry town-
Jacob and Anna (Weaver) Fisher and of Conrad and ship, where he spent a like period at the trade, and
Elizabeth fRichards) Hartman. The other children in 1857 he came to Reading, where he entered the
of Silas W. and Anna (Hartman) Fisher were: Wei- employ of the Philadelphia & Reading Railroad. He
lington (deceased), Luther, Jacob, and Rebecca (m. was a flue-welder for this company at the pipe mill
Alfred Dietrich). _ for nine years, and altogether worked for this com-

Oliver H. Fisher was educated in the common pany as a blacksmith for fifteen years. Mr. Rauen-
schools of Douglass township and in Kallynean Acad- zahn is one of the few living men in this locality who
emy, Boyertown, under Prof. I. B. Hankey, principal, have shod oxen, this occurring in 1850, 1851 and
In the fall of 1870 he entered the Medical Department 1852 while he worked at his trade in Ontelaunee and
of the University of Pennsylvania, and graduatea Perry townships. In the former district there lived
therefrom in the spring of 1873. He engaged imme- many Quakers, among them the Wileys, Perkinses,
diately in the practice of his profession at Amity- Smiths and Pentoses, and Dr. Wiley had a yoke of
ville, Berks county. Hut in the fall of the_ same year oxen which were shod by Mr. Rauenzahn on numerous
went to Pikeville. where he practised until 1879. In occasions. These big, strong beasts were used at
the latter year he moved to Pottstown, and also took the plows, as well as in wagons, and Wash Wiley
a special course at the University of Pennsylvania, used them to haul flour to the boat landing at Shoe-
In 1880 he moved to Graters Ford, on the banks of makersville. Mr. Rauenzahn recalls many interesting
the Perkiomen, in Montgomery county. In_ 1885 he incidents of his younger days, among which might
came to Reading where he has been practising for be mentioned the following: It was during his term
twenty-four years. of apprenticeship, and he was working out during

Dr. Fisher has been twice married. On Oct. 23, haymaking and harvesting time to earn spending
1873, he m. Mary Heilig, daughter of Edward Heilig, money, his employer being Quaker Smith. They were
of Pottstown. To this union were born three chil- hauling in hay with four good horses, when the large
dren: Charlie, Lester and Edward. In February, wagon-load of hay became "stuck" and no amount
1883. Mrs. Fisher died at Graters Ford. In 1890 Dr. of urging could make the horses go another inch. At
Fisher m. (second) Ida Wilson, daughter of Joseph this time the yoke of big oxen were hitched up to
Wilson, of Reading. ■ the wagon, and to the surprise of all these beasts

pulled the load away with comparative ease, which

RAUENZAHN. Christian Rauenzahn, a native of the four horses could not budge. Mr. Rauenzahn
Manheim, Germany, where the family was one/ of was a member of the Reading police force under
prominence and wealth, was a son of Herr von Mayor Charles F. Evans from 1873 to 1879. Since
Rauenzahn. Christian Rauenzahn left his native coiin- May, 1903, he has lived a quiet life, his retirement
try for cause, being at that time well supnlied with being due to his incapacitation from an extraordinary
means, and settled in Richmond township, Berks Co., case of hiccoughs, which continued for seven weeks.
Pa., where he became the owner ot. about 700 acres The case puzzled physicians and attracted wide-spread
of land, but he died in very humble circumstances, attention, local and metropolitan papers alike giving
He is buried in a private burial ground on the old much space to it and remedies being sent to Mr.
W'eidner farm below Pricetown and his grave has Rauenzahn from all over the country. He was event-
no head-stone. Christian Rauenzahn was survived by ually cured by Dr. A. N. Seidel, of Reading, by the
his wife, Hannah, who died at an advanced age in use of a common remedy. For many years Mr. Rauen-
1836. Among their children were: Gideon; Isaac; zahn • has been a member of Salome Lodge of Odd



720



HISTORY OF BERKS COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



Fellows No. 105, and the American Mechanics, both
of Reading. He is a Republican in politics, and dur-
ing 1856, when James Buchanan was elected presi-
dent, he served as judge of election in his district.
He and his family are members of the Evangelical
Association.

In 1853 Mr. Rauenzahn was married to Willia Bush,
daughter of Benjamin and Sarah (Brown) Bush, born
Aug. 17, 1830, who died Sept. 15, 1891, and they had
these children: Henry B.; Solomon and Thomas,
who died young; Emanuel, who resides in Milwaukee,
Wis.; Sallie, who died young; Emma, who met her
death in 1889, aged twenty-five years, in the silk mill
disaster; ana Zipporah, m. to Allen Levan.

Henry B. Rauenzahn was born Aug. 16, 1854, in
Ontelaunee township, and as a boy came to Reading,
where he spent his school days. For many years he
was a sand contractor, but in 1885 he embarked in
the hotel business at Tenth and Green streets, and
since 1898 he has conducted the "North End Hotel."
He is very popular in his district, and enjoys a large
and lucrative business. Fraternally he is connected
with Salome Lodge No. 105, I. O. O. F., Reading.

Mr. Rauenzahn was married to Mary Hartman,
Aug. 7, 1875. She is the daughter of Henry and
Hannah (Lease) Hartman, granddaughter oi John
Hartman, and great-granddaughter of Jacob Bowers,
who lived to the remarkable ao^e of 103 years. To
Mr. and Mrs. Rauenzahn there have been born six-"
teen children, as follows: William, Lillie and Lottie,
deceased; Harry S.; Luther; Naomi; George; Lester;
an infant son; Emma; an infant son; Edith; an infant
son; Dorothy, and two who died in infancy.

Harry S. Rauenzahn was born July 3, 1880, and died
April 11, 1909, in Reading, Pa. He attended the public
schools until sixteen years of age, at which time he
learned the coach-painting trade at the Keystone
Wagon works from Charles Dietrich, now deceased.
This he followed at Reading for nine years, after
which he worked at the Pullman shops at Wilming-
ton, Del., for nine months, and subsequently returned
to Reading, and assisted in the erection of the 126-
foot brick stacks at the Philadelphia & Reading shops.
In 1904 Mr. Rauenzahn became a trolley car con-
ductor for the Reading United Traction Co., and
there he continued until his death. He was a resident
of the Thirteenth ward, owning a brick residence
at No. 2044 Eutztown road, purchased by him in
1905. He was a member of Camp No. 663, P. O. S.
of A., of Reading, and Tent No. 446. K. O. T. M.,
also of this city. V/ith his family he belonged to
Grace Reformed Church of Alsace, before joining
which he was a deacon of Trinity Reformed Church.

On Sept. 29, 1904, Mr. Rauenzahn was married to
Anna Wolf, daughter of George and Elizabeth
(Houck) Wolf of Chester county, and they had two
children: Luther E.. born Nov. 4. 1905, died July
22, 1906; and Marie E.

JONATHAN G. LEINBACH, of Reading, senior mem-
ber of the J. G. Leinbach Company, comes of an old
Berks county family. He was born near Leesport, June
14, 1837, son of Frederick and Maria (Guldin) Leinbach.

Frederick Leinbach, the father, was born in Berks
county. While he thoroughly learned the blacksmith's
trade and followed it more or less all his life, he also
engaged in farming near Leesport, giving the major part
of his time to this work. Later in life his farming inter-
ests were all in Exeter township. He died in Reading' at
the age of fifty-seven years, and his wife, v»ho-se maiden
name was Maria Guldin, lived to the age of sixty. Onlv
five of their family still survive, namely: Daniel, Albert,
Mahlon, Jonathan G. and Mary, the latter being now
the widow of James Levan, and a resident of Reading.

Jonathan G. Leinbach acquired most of his education
in the public schools of Exeter township, and then be-
gan helping his father in the blacksmith shop. His incli-
nation for a commercial career early showed itself, how-
ever, and when but eleven years of age he obtained a



position with Williatft Brumbach, a manufacturer of cloth,
and remained with him for several years. He left that
work to go to York, Pa., to run a woolen-mill, and
spent two years there, after which he returned to Read-
ing and entered the employ of the Wyomissing Woolen
Company in their factory on South Fifth street. This
occupied his attention for two years, with a break of
ten months when he was in the army during the Civil
war. In 1862 he enlisted in Company I, 128th Pa. V. I.,
and during his term of enlistment he saw considerable
active service. He was taken prisoner at Chancellors-
ville and incarcerated for a time in the famous Libby
prison.

Mr. Leinbach's first connection with the Reading
Woolen Mills was as manager under Mr. Fisher, and
later under Robert M. Shouse. In 1867 he was taken
into partnership, and the firm name became R. M.
Shouse & Co. They did a considerable business then,
employing fifty hands and having an annual production
valued at $100,000. Their association continued until 1875,
when Mr. Leinbach became for a short time the sole-
owner. But he very soon formed, a partnership with
Aaron S. Leinbach and William F. P. Davis, under the
firm name of J. G. Leinbach & Co. A little later John
Shadel was added to the firm, while in 1887 the personnel
was again changed by the death of Mr. Davis, whose
interest was purchased by Mr. Leinbach. Two years
later the firm was enlarged by taking in three of Mr.
Leinbach's brothers, Daniel, Albert and Mahlon, and in
1893 was inaugurated the policy of giving an interest
in the business to certain of the older employes, who
had been in the factory from twenty to thirty years. This
is the only enterprise in Reading in which the hands
have been permitted to share in the profits, and the benefits
resulting from this generosity of the employers have been
mutual. The only surviving members of the old firm are
Mr. Leinbach and his three brothers, and the former has
carried less of the responsibility for the last few years,
as in 1903 the business was incorporated with Mr. Lein-
bach as president; A. E. Leinbach, vice-president; and
S. W. Reiff, secretary and treasurer.

When the firm was organized in 1875 additional ground
was purchased, improvements made in the plant, and new
machinery introduced. Liberality in these respects has
always marked the management of the factory, and it has
b?en rhaintained constantly at a high level of equipment.
In 1903 an addition 50 x 120 feet, four stories in height,
was erected. More than two hundred hands are now
required in the operation. The manufacture of jeans
has been discontinued since 1880* and the product is
now entirely woolen and union goods. The volume of
business has steadily increased, and the goods, having
a superior reputation, are sold all over the United States,
after being manufactured into pants and vests. Much
of the success achieved is due to the efforts of Mr. J. G.
Leinbach and his able assistants, whose progressive spirit,
enterprise and liberal policy have ever been apparent in
the conduct of the business.

Mr. Leinbach's other interests are large and varied;
among them may be mentioned the Mt. Penn Gravity
Railroad Company, of which he has been president since
1897, and the East Reading Railroad, of which he is
vice-president. He is a director of the Second National
Bank, and one of the organizers and directors of the
Reading Cold Storage Company. He is one of Reading's
prominent citizens, not only because of his own large
business interests,' but also because of his public spirit
and liberal attitude toward all good causes. For eleven
years he served in the common and select councils, and
in 1897 was a candidate for mayor. Although the city
of Reading was normally Democratic at that time by over
six hundred, Mr. Leinbach lost by the small margin of
163 votes — a remarkable demonstration of popularity.
Both he and his wife are members and liberal supporters
of the Reformed CTiurch.

In 1865 Mr. Leinbach married Amanda E. Burkhart,
daughter of John W. Burkhart, and to this union was
born one son, Frederick, who died in childhood.



BIOGRAPHICAL



721



EDWIN L. HETTINGER is. a great-grandson of
Heinrich Hettinger, a native of Rheineck (later Bie-
tigheim— the Pennsylvania Archives, Vol. VII, Sec-
ond Series, page 637, spell it Betigheim). in the Kine-
dom of Wurtemberg, Germany, born in 1760-61, who
came to America in 1805, from Amsterdam, landing
at Philadelphia Sept. 5th. He made the voyage on
the ship "Verney," and brought with him his wife
Catharine, then aged thirty-six years, and their five
children: Heinrich, aged thirteen; Lorenz, aged
twelve; Christina Eva, aged eleven; Bernard, aged
eight; and Mathias, aged six.

After his arrival in this country Heinrich Hettinger
lived some years in the vicinity of Philadelphia or in
that city itself, later coming to Bemville, Berks coun-
ty,_ where he died and is buried. His wife Catharine
Miller, born in 1769, bore him seven children in all,
the five previously mentioned having been born in the
Fatherland and the youngest two in America. We
have the following record of this family: Heinrich,
a cooper by trade, lived in Centreville, in^Penn town-



Online LibraryMorton L. (Morton Luther) MontgomeryHistorical and biographical annals of Berks County, Pennsylvania, embracing a concise history of the county and a genealogical and biographical record of representative families, comp. by Morton L. Montgomery .. → online text (page 206 of 227)