Morton L. (Morton Luther) Montgomery.

Historical and biographical annals of Berks County, Pennsylvania, embracing a concise history of the county and a genealogical and biographical record of representative families, comp. by Morton L. Montgomery .. online

. (page 207 of 227)
Online LibraryMorton L. (Morton Luther) MontgomeryHistorical and biographical annals of Berks County, Pennsylvania, embracing a concise history of the county and a genealogical and biographical record of representative families, comp. by Morton L. Montgomery .. → online text (page 207 of 227)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


ship; he had sons Harry, Joseph and John. Lorenz
IS mentioned below. Christina Eva probably married
John Brossman, as one of the daughters of this family
was married to him and the other to David Kurtz.
Bernhard lived in Heidelberg township, following
farming; his children were Jonathan, William. Levi,
James and Mary Ann. Mathias, who lived in Centre
township, near Belleman's Church, had children, Reu-
ben, Adam, Henry, Kate, Julia and Susan. Christian
lived and died in Penn township, where he owned
a small farm; his children were John and Lizzie.

Lorenz Hettinger, grandfather of Edwin L. Het-
tinger, was born Nov. 2-2, 1792, in Bietigheim, Ger-
many. Coming to America with his parents he lived
in and around Philadelphia until about twenty-seven
years old, following shoemaking, which he learned
in young_ manhood. He then came to Berks county,
locating in Bern township and later in Penn town-
ship, where he tended Hettinger's Locks, on the Union
Canal, for many years. He died at Mount Pleasant
in July, 1869, when about seventy-five years old. and
is buried at Bern Church, of which he was a prom-
inent Lutheran member, serving as deacon and elder
of the congregation. His wife, Catharine Lambert,
of Lower Heidelberg township, died when past fifty
years of age. Their seven children were as follows:
Mary Ann m. Samuel Schaffer; Henry lives in Read-
ing; Augustus is a resident of Wyomissing; Harrison
is out West; John died in Virginia, where his family
still lives, at Manassas; Lydia m. Benjamin Grimes,
of Robesonia, Pa.; Levi L, was the father of Edwin
L. Hettinger.

l^evi L. Hettinger was born April 6. 1846 at Mount
Pleasant, Penn township, Berks county, and was reared
upon the farm. But when fourteen years old he com-
menced boating upon the now abandoned Union Canal,
and he also did such work on the Pennsylvania and
Schuylkill Canals, being employed at boating for four
years. He then enlisted at Reading for service in
the Union army, joining Company K, 42d Pa. V. I.,
with which he served three months. After his return
from the army he worked in a 'sawmill for about
three years, and then learned the carpenter's trade
from John Moyer, of Bernville. He has followed this
trade ever since, working in western Berks county
until 1883, when he settled in Reading. He and his
family have resided in their own home at No. 129
South Tenth street for many years.

In January, 1870, Mr. Hettinger was married to
Sarah A. Hafer, daughter of Jacob and Anna (Mee)
Hafer, and granddaughter of Heinrich and Kate
(Zweitzig-Lorah) Hafer, of Muhlenberg township, and
five children were born to them: Rosanna, Charles
(who died aged nineteen years, eight months, eleven
days), Lillie J. (who died aged two years, four months,
seven days), Edwin L. and Richard W. The last
named was formerly a soldier in Porto Rico and is
now a clerk at headquarters. Division of the Philip-
46



pine Islands, War Department. All of this family
are members of Grace Lutheran Church at Reading,
of which Mr. Hettinger has been deacon, and he also
officiated in that capacity at the Bern Church.

Edwin L. Hettinger was born Jan. 27, 1879, in Mount
Pleasant (Hettrichstown), Berks county, and received
his education in the public schools of Reading. He
graduated from the high school with the class of
1898, after which he entered the Inter-State Commer-
ciaJ College, at Reading. He had previously done
good work in that line in the high school, having
been on the honor roll in the commercial depart-
ment in 1897. He was the high school captain in
the Se^qui-Centennial parade in 1898. Upon leaving
the Inter-State College Mr. Hettinger became a clerk
in the service of the Pennsylvania Optical Company,
with whom he remained four and a half years, when
he became assistant credit man with Gately & Britton.
He continued to serve in that capacity until the part-
nership was dissolved, after which he took his present
position with the G. M. Britton Company, of Read-
ing, as manager of the office outfitting department.
Mr. Hettinger is commodore of the Reading Canoe
Club, which holds annual river carnivals. Since 1906
he has been a member of the Berks County Historical
Society.

On June 7, 1900, Mr. Hettinger was married to Miss
Eloise Strecker, daughter of Dr. Herman and Evelyn
(Tarrach) Strecker, of Reading. Her father was a
noted sculptor and famous naturalist, and his collec-
tion of butterflies and moths, the largest in America,
was sold seven years after his death to the Field
Museum, of Chicago, for $20,000; during his lifetime
he had refused several large offers for them. He
was an authority on lepidoptera. Dr. Strecker had
two children, a son Paul, who resides in Cincinnati,
Ohio, and Eloise, who married Mr. Hettinger. Mr.
and Mrs. Hettinger have had four children: Herman
S.; Edwin S. and Eveline's, (both of whom died in
infancy), and Eloise S. Mr. Hettinger is a member
of Grace Lutheran Church and has been an active
worker, having served several years as treasurer of
the Sunday-school. Mrs. Hettinger is a member of
Christ Episcopal Church.

J. O. GLASE, senior member of the carpet and
drapery firm of J. O. Glase & Co., of Reading, is
a substantial citizen of that city, and is prominent
in business, political and fraternal circles. Mr. Glase
was born in 1856, in Olev township, Berks county.
Pa., son of Benneville A. and Rebecca V. R. (High)
Glase.

Peter Glase, grandfather of J. O., was a resident
of Friedensburg, in Oley township. He made his
last will and testament on May 28, 1860, and this was
probated Aug. 1, 1868. This will is on record in Vol.
XII, p. 56, and his executors are mentioned William
and Benneville, his sons. Peter Glase was twice mar-
ried. His first wife was Mary Adams, and his second,
Catharine Weisner. To his first marriage were born
eight children: William, Benneville, Levi, James, Ma-
tilda, Amelia, Rebecca, and Maryi To the second
marriage came five: Jacob, Peter, Alfred, Caroline
and Anna.

Benneville A. Glase, who was also a native of Oley
township, was engaged all his life in a general mer-
cantile business. He died in 1882, in his sixty-second
year, and is buried at Friedensburg. He kept a gen-
eral store at Friedensburg, and was a well known
citizen of that place, becoming very prosperous. He
was a Lutheran in his religious belief, while his widow
worshiped in the Evangelical Church. In politics h'e
was a Republican, and for many years served as.
postmaster at Friedensburg. Three children were
born to him and his wife: Emma, m. to C, S. Gear-
hard, D. D., deceased; Louisa, m. to C. W. Bassler
of Sunbury, Pa.; and J. O., who is mentioned below. '

J. O. Glase was educated in the public schools of
Oley township, the Oley Academy and was a member



722



HISTORY OF BERKS COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



of the class of 1878 of Lafayette College. As a boy
he clerked in his father's store, succeeding to the
business at the time of his father's death. This he
carried on until 1892, when in company with Edward
S. Lichtenthaler, he established the business of J.
O. Glase & Co., it having been formerly carried on
by Henry A. Hoflf & Son. It is not only the oldest
establishment of its kind in Reading, but is the only
exclusive carpet and draping house in the city; the
retail salesroom on the first floor at No. 408 Penn
street, is 20 x 234 feet, and gives employment to twenty-
one people. They import their own lace curtains,
straw mattings and linoleums, and do a large busi-
ness through Berks county.

Mr. Glase is a member of the Masonic fraternity,
holding- membership in Huguenot Lodge, No. 377,
F. & A. M.. Kutztown, of which he is a past master;
Excelsior Chapter, No. 237, R. A. M.; Reading Com-
mandery. No. 42, K. T., of which he is eminent com-
mander; Enoch Lodge of Perfection; Zerubbabel
Council, P. of J., 16th' degree; Evergreen Chapter,
Rose Croix. 18th degree; Caldwell Sovereign Consistory,
S. P. R. S.', 32d degree; and Rajah Temple, A. A. O.
N. M. S. He is a charter member of Reading Lodge
of Perfection. He also belongs to Minnehaha Lodge.
K. P. and Oley Castle, K. G. E.

In 1882 Mr. Glase was married to Alice M. Weidler,
daughter of Emanuel Weidler, and his wife Mary
(Blickenderfer) Weidler, and to this union have been
born two sons, Paul E. and Claude H., both of whom
are graduates of the Reading high school and work
in their father's establishment.

HENRY CHRISTIAN HIRNER. Among the self-
made men of this section of Pennsylvania, who won a
prominent position for themselves in the business
world, was Henry Christian Hirner, who died Sept.
30, 1898. at Reading, in which city he had lived retired
from 1880. Mr. Hirner was born in April, 1833, at
Stuttgart, Germany.

In his native country he learned the trade of stone
cutter, and on coming to America in 1855 he located at
Wilkes-Barre, where he soon became an extensive
marble and granite monument and tombstone manufac-
turer, employing on an average of fifteen men. He
made some of the finest monuments in the eastern
part of the State, including the Dr. Sterl monument,
which he erected at \Vilkes-Barre, and which cost
$3,000. Owing to ill health Mr. Hirner was compelled
to retire from business in 1879, and during that and
the following year he sold his valuable real estate hold-
ings, and went on a trip for his health to California,
which, however, did not benefit him much. He returned
to Pennsylvania, and located at Reading, where he
built a large brick residence at the corner of Seven-
teenth and Haak streets, and this was his home at the
time of his death. His widow resided here until her
own death. Mr. Hirner was a member of the Masonic
fraternity and the Odd Fellows at Wilkes-Barre, and
was buried at that place, where a large monument
marks his last resting place.

Mr. Hirner was twice married, his .first wife dying
young. In 1877 he m. (second) Christiana Goelz, who
was born Sept. 26, 1842, daughter of Philip and Dora
(Scheiffly) Goelz, natives of Weilheim, near Stuttgart,
Germany, who came to America in 1851. They located
in Reading, where Philip Goelz kept a hotel at the cor-
ner of Fourth and Bingaman streets, and later one at
Chestnut, below Third street, where his death occurred.
He and his family were members of the Lutheran
Church. Mr. and Mrs. Hirner had no children. Mrs.
Hirner died Feb. 24, 1909, aged sixty-eight years. She
was survived by her sister. Mrs. William Heberle, No.
309 North Second street, Reading.

EZRA H. HERBINE, now residing in Amity town-
ship, Berks county, is a native of Oley township, the
early home of the Herbeins (Herbine) in Pennsylvan-
ia, the family having bten planted here by Peter Herbein.



Levi Herbine, father of Ezra H., was born in Oley
township April 5, 1812, and died there Oct. 14, 1891.
In his earlier years he worked for neighboring farm-
ers, and later for his brother Daniel for- a number of
years. He then bought a farm of ninety-six acres in
the southwestern part of Oley, and there he made his
home from 1851 or 1852 until 1885. He then retired
from active work, and purchased a homestead in the
same township — formerly the John Hunter home —
and there he resided until his death. He was prominent
in public affairs as a Democrat, and was at one time
auditor of the township. He and his family are buried
at Oley Churches. He married Sarah Herbine, daugh-
ter of Daniel and Elizabeth (Endy) Herbine. She was
born Aug. 30, 1815, and died May 22, 1891. Eleven
children were born of this union: Susan m. James
Brumbach, of Pleasantville; Levi lives on the home-
stead in Oley; Emma is unmarried and lives with her
brother Levi; Sarah is the widow of Henry Hertzog;
Mary is the widow of Abraham Deeter; Daniel lives
at Birdsboro; Abraham died young; Ezra H. ; Hannah
died young; Albert lives at Friedensburg; and one was
still-born.

Ezra H. Herbine was born Jan. 33, 1853, and attend-
ed the common schools and later Freeland Academy,
now Ursinus College, at Collegeville. He later took a
course in Farr's Business College at Reading. For
several years he was bookkeeper for J. L. Repplier, a
wholesale and retail coal merchant at Reading, and
then worked for his father on the farm in Oley from
1875 to 1881. In the spring of 1881 he began farming
on one of his father's farms in Amiity, on the Mana-
tawny, between Yellowhouse and Earlville, and that
was his home for twenty-eight years. From 1881 to
1891 he was a tenant, and then his father dying, he
purchased the farm, which was known as the Jacob
Boyer tract, and consisted originally of 160 acres, but
when Mr. Herbine purchased it it contained sixty-
seven acres, forty-seven perches. He sold this in the
winter of 1909 to Augustus M. High, postmaster at
Reading. Mr. Herbine is now living retired about one
mile south of Amityville. He was very successful in
all that he undertook, but he always found time to
take a keen and active interest in the welfare of the
Democratic party. For six years he was school direct-
or, for nine years township auditor, and a number of
times delegate to county conventions. He was honest
and upright, and has held ever the esteem of the
good people in the community.

On Nov. 15, 1877, Mr. Herbine married Sarah Baum.
of Wooster, Wayne Co., Ohio, daughter of Henry and
Elizabeth (Zacharias) Baum. Mr. Baum was a native
of Berks county, but in 1865 moved to Wooster. Ohio,
where he was engaged in farming until his death, on a
farm of 160 acres. Both he and Mrs. Baum are buried
at Wooster. They had ten children, as follows: Wil-
liam, of Kansas City, Mo.; Daniel, of Sedalia, Mo.;
MandiUa, m. to Robert Beard, of Toledo, Ohio;
Charles, who is buried at Wooster; Ammon, who
died in 1909, at Indianapolis, Ind., and is buried at
Wooster; Henry, of Jersey City, N, J.; Sarah, Mrs.
Herbine; Maberry, deceased, and buried at Wooster;
Emma, m. to Joseph Felix, of Toledo, Ohio; Kate,
twin to Emma, unmarried, of Toledo. To Mr. and
Mrs. Herbine have been born three children: (1) Ed-
winna graduated from the Keystone State Normal
School in 1901, and taught school five terms, four at
Locust Dale, in Amity township, and one at' Royers-
ford. She married Dr. J. H. Ludwig, of Boyertown,
and they have one daughter, Miriam. (2) Estella B.
graduated from the Keystone State Normal School in
the class of 1902, and is engaged in teaching. She
taught her first term in Douglass township, at Mauger's
school, three terms at Monocacy, and in the spring of
1905 went to Spring City where she sbill is. (3) Henry
L. is a farmer in Amity township. He m. Mamie Mar-
quett. No children.



BIOGRAPHICAL



733



JOHN PETER EPLER was born in Bern township,
Berks county, Jan. 23, 1836, and died at Reading Dec.
29, 1905, aged sixty-nine years, eleven months and seven
days. During the earlier part of his life he was a
farmer, but in 1865 he removed to Reading and worked
for the Schuylkill Navigation Company as a member
of the repair gang, and continued with them for three
years. He then was employed at Bushong's furnace for
more than a quarter of a century. Later he became
watchman for the Excelsior Brass Company, but in
less than a year he was burned to death while at the
post of duty. He is interred in the Charles Evans
cemetery.

On Aug. 30, 1861, Mr. Epler was married to Rebecca
Strubble, daughter of Jacob and Annie (Moyer) Strub-
ble, and they had one son, George B. The late Mr. Ep-
ler was a consistent member of St. John's Lutheran
church, to which congregation his family belong.

Mrs. Epler resides at No. 474 Schuylkill avenue,
where she conducts a small stationery, confectionery, ci-
gar and tobacco store, and she is well respected in the
community.

George B. Epler, son of Mr. and Mrs. John Peter
Epler, was born Dec. 28, 1861, in Muhlenberg township,
where he resides with his mother. He is a stationary
engineer, and is employed at the Tragle Cordage Com-
pany's _ works. He married Kate Mahla, daughter of
Frederick Mahla, of Germany, who married Louisa
Hoffner. Mr. and Mrs. Epler have two children; Stella
M., m. to John J. Bidden, now of Providence, R. L; and
George L., living in Reading.

The late John Peter Epler was a grandson of Jacob
Epler who married an Epler, but nothing definite is
known of him further than that, and that among his
children was John Peter Epler, Sr., father of the late
John Peter Epler. The father was born in Bern town-
ship, in September, 1804, and died Sept. 2, 1877, being
buried in the Charles Evans cemetery. He was a farm-
er, and later a shoemaker, and worked at this trade
until his death which occurred on Jefferson street in
Reading. His wife was Mary Koch, who died in 1847.
Their children were: Annie and Catherine died young;
Mary m. Michael Wonderle; Louisa m. Irwin Moyer;
Aaron was killed in the Civil war; John Peter.

MARTIN M. WITHERS (deceased), who was for
many years a prominent citizen of Reading, Berks
county, was born in Lancaster county in 1839, son of
John G. and Catherine (Moyer) Withers, and grandson
of George Withers, a native of Virginia, who removed
to Lancaster county when a young man, following agri-
cultural pursuits until his death.

John G. Withers, father of Martin, was born in Lan-
caster county, Nov. 26, 1798, and was a life-long farmer.
He married Catherine Moyer, born Feb. 3, 1806, who
died Feb. 6, 1863. He died June 16, 1867. They had
children as follows: Franklin; Elizabeth; George;
John; Rebecca; Martin M.; Samuel; Elias, who is still
living and resides in Spring township, Berks county;
and Catherine.

Martin M. Withers received his education in the
schools of Lancaster and Berks counties and his ^arly
life was spent in agricultural pursuits. After locating
in Reading he worked on the old Union Canal until
1869, but the latter part of his life was spent in retire-
ment. He was married April 13, 1867, to Miss Emeline
Klohs, daughter of Jacob and Mary (Kerst) Klohs,
and two children were born to this union: Mary Cath-
erine, who died aged five months; and William, who is
employed in the U. S. postal service as a city letter
carrier in Reading, and who married Rebecca J.
Schnable, and has two children — C. William S. and
Stuart S. In religious belief Mr. Withers was a mem-
ber of St. John's Reformed Church. His political views
made him a Democrat.



JOHN ACHENBACH, a resident of Reading for
the past forty years, was born in Oberdorf, Hessen,
Germany, Nov. 12, 1850, son of Jacob and Margaret
Achenbach, well-to-do people, the former an official
and highly educated man. John Achenbach passed his
boyhood in his native land, and was early in life made
accustomed to farm work, but after coming to America
he abandoned agricultural pursuits entirely and spent
his time entployed solely at molding. He landed in
New York City in 1866, but came direct to Reading
and made that his permanent home.

Mr. Achenbach's first work was at molding at Sev-
enth and Chestnut streets, and he worked there for
a long time. In June, 1875, he revisited Germany, re-
turning in October of that same year, and instead of
resuming his. former position he took a place at the
Scott Works. There he remained till February, 1905,
'when he retired from active work.

On July 21, 1891, Mr. Achenbach was married to Em-
ma Elizabeth, daughter of John S. Zimmerman, and
his wife, Margaret Reeser, (who both belonged to some
of the old established families of Berks county) and
granddaughter of Christopher Zimmerman. Three chil-
dren were born to this union, but only one survives, a
daughter named Martha Esther, at the present time a
student in the school at Fourth and Elm streets. The
family reside at No. 235 North Sixth street, and are
members of the German Lutheran Church.

DR. A. ESENWEIN, the well-known druggist and
pharmacist of Reading, and proprietor and manufac-
turer of ICura-Derma, was born in the city of Phila-
delphia, in 1834, son of Frederick and Mary (Babb)
Esenwein, whose other three children are deceased.

Dr. Esenwein was educated in the schools of Read-
ing and Philadelphia, and as a boy found employment
as clerk in a dry goods store. He followed this line
of business until sixteen years of age and then appren-
ticed himself to the drug business with Augney &
Dixon, remaining with that firm four years. During
his_ stay ^yith that firm he attended lectures at the
Philadelphia College of Medicine, and was later grad-
uated therefrom with the degree of M. D. Dr. Esen-
wein then engaged in the practice of his profession,
but later opened a drug store at Ninth and Poplar
streets, Philadelphia, where he carried on business for
several years. He was appointed assistant paymaster in
the United States Navy in 1861, and served as such
for three years, nine months, at the end of which
time he removed to the oil regions of Pennsylvania,
and continued there until 1869. He then came to Read-
ing as a ckrk in S. S. Stevens' drug store and continued
with that gentleman for several years, then opening
a drug store on his own account which business he
has continued to the present time. Dr. Esenwein has
been a manufacturing pharmacist for some years, among
his remedies being: Kura-Derma, the great iscalp and
skin remedy, Esenwein's Pectoral and Aromatic Balsam,
and numerous others.

In 1859 the Doctor was married to Louisa Leibrandt,
and to them were born three children, two of whom
are deceased, the other being Richard C, a manufac-
turer of Philadelphia. Mr. Esenwein was married
(second) m 1864 to Kate A. Daniels, and one child was
born to this union, J. Berg, who is with "Lippincott's
Magazine. Dr. Esenwein is a member of the Sixth
and Elm Street United Evangelical Church, Reading.
His politics are independent.

JOSEPH G. KLAPP (deceased), for a number of
years connected with the hardware interests of Read-
ing, was born in that city Dec. 30, 1845, son of Daniel
and Eliza (Ganand) Klapp.

Mr. Klapp received as good an education as the Read-
ing schools offered, and then when nearing manhood
commenced his work in the world by taking a place in
a grocery. A few years later he accepted a position



734



HISTORY OF BERKS COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



with the Bard Hardware Company, and remained with
them some years before he left them for Stichter's
Hardware Company. He had worked there sixteen
years and was filling the responsible position of super-
intendent at the time of his death. He had in an em-
inent degree the force and executive ability needed for
such a position, and enjoyed the entire confidence of his
employers. He died March 27, 1893. His death was not
only an irreparable loss to the family, but a blow to
the entire community, for Mr. Klapp was gifted with
the rare power to win and to keep friends.

Twice married, the first wife of Mr. Klapp was Miss
Sallie Young, by whom he had the following children:
Emma m. to William Kline; Daniel Y., of Reading;
Katie, deceased, m. to William Mailer; and Abraham
I., of Reading. The second Mrs. Klapp, who
survives her husband, was Miss Elizabeth Brown.
She became the mother of three children, namely: Mary
A., a graduate of the Girl's high school of Reading
and now a teacher in the city grammar schools; Anna
E.; and Florence. Mrs. Klapp is a member of Trinity
Lutheran Church, while her late husband belonged to
the First Reformed Church of Reading. In politics
Mr. Klapp was a Democrat.

JOHN S. WAGNER, who died at his home in Read-
ing, Pa., July 13, 1905, was for a number of years en-
gaged in building operations in that city, where for a
long period he was prominent in political, military and
business circles. Mr. Wagner was born April 10, 1837,
in Wildheim, Wurtemberg, Gefmany, son of Michael
Wagner, who died in the Fatherlend.

John S. Wagner left his native country Aug. 8, 1855,
and landed at New York City Oct. 5th of the same
year, leaving the latter city the same day for Reading.
In his own country Mr. Wagner had learned the trade
of wood turning, and this he followed for a short time,
but later apprenticed, himself to the trade of cabinet
maker with Frederick R. Henninger, on Penn street,
for three years. In May, 1859, he was employed in
William B. Hertzel's planing mill, and in December of
the same year he became manager of the Ringgold
Band, of which he was president at the time of his
death. In April, 1861, he became a member of the
Ringgold Light Artillery, and enlisted with that com-
pany for three months' service during the Civil war,
being assigned to the 25th Regiment under Col. Cake
and Gen. Patterson. After the expiration of that
term he re-enlisted Aug. 1, 1861, for three years service



Online LibraryMorton L. (Morton Luther) MontgomeryHistorical and biographical annals of Berks County, Pennsylvania, embracing a concise history of the county and a genealogical and biographical record of representative families, comp. by Morton L. Montgomery .. → online text (page 207 of 227)