Morton L. (Morton Luther) Montgomery.

Historical and biographical annals of Berks County, Pennsylvania, embracing a concise history of the county and a genealogical and biographical record of representative families, comp. by Morton L. Montgomery .. online

. (page 212 of 227)
Online LibraryMorton L. (Morton Luther) MontgomeryHistorical and biographical annals of Berks County, Pennsylvania, embracing a concise history of the county and a genealogical and biographical record of representative families, comp. by Morton L. Montgomery .. → online text (page 212 of 227)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


of Seventh and Penn streets, which he conducted for forty
years. Emanuel Breneiser was the father of eleven chil-
dren : Benneville m. Lovina Drenkel ; Charles is mentioned
above; George was drowned while a youth driving a boat
team on the Schuylkill canal; Sarah m. Samuel Derr; An-
geline m. John Call; Catharine m. Peter B. Madeira;
Emma m. Peter Eiler; Caroline m. Otto Mellert; three
daughters died young. The mother died in 1849, aged
fifty-six years.

' Valentine Breneiser, the grandfather, emigrated from
Germany about 1730. He conducted an inn at Lancaster
for a number of years and died there in 1786. In his last
will he devises his property to his wife Salome, and nine
sons. Christian, Valentine, Jacob, Simon, Benjamin, Joseph,
John, George and Emanuel.



Thomas Breneiser, eldest son of Charles Breneiser, Sr.,
was born at Reading Dec. 23, 1856. He received his pre-
liininary education in the common schools, and after tak-
ing a special course in a business college at Philadelphia
entered his father's store as a clerk at the age of sixteen
years. He showed great devotion to the business, and
upon the day when he reached his majority his father
formed a partnership with him as the junior partner, trad-
ing under the name of Charles Breneiser & Son. When
the second son became of age he too was included in the
firm, the name being changed to Charles Breneiser & Sons;
and so the firm name has continued until the present time.
For the past ten years Thomas has had the practical man-
agement of the business on account of the increasing age
of the senior partner. The responsibilities of his position
requiring all his time he could not take an active interest
in political or social affairs; but Sunday-school work in
Trinity Lutheran Church and afterward in Grace Lutheran
Church received his active encouragement for many years.
In 1878 Thomas Breneiser married Mary Fredericka Gro-
tevant, daughter of Frederick J. and Rosa (Greiner)





c^^^




'-z^



BIOGRAPHICAL



737



Grotevant, of Reading, and by her he has four children,
Elizabeth Grotevant, Caroline Valeria, Amos Pfleger and
Stanley Grotevant. His wife's father followed the busi-
ness of practical jeweler at Sixth and Penn streets for a
number of years, and then filled the position of locksmith
for the Philadelphia and Reading Railway Company, until
his decease, in 1873. Her maternal grandfather. Christian
Greiner, was a master stone-mason at Reading for many
years, having had charge of the stone work in the con-
struction of the court-house, which was finished in 1839.

HENRY K. FURLOW, one of the most popular
hotel men of Berks county, who is proprietor of the
well known "Furlow (Eight Mile House) Hotel" in
Brecknock township, the only public house in the town-
ship, was born Nov. 30, 1857, in East Cocalico town-
ship, Lancaster Co., Pa., son of Henry and Eliza
(Kegerise) Furlow.

Peter Furlow, grandfather of Henry K., lived in
East Cocalico township, where he followed farming
all of his life. He married a Waldschmidt, of German
extraction, and they had these children: Polly, m. to
John Mohn; Anna m. to Levi Trostle; Sallie, who died
' young; Susanna, who still lives in Lancaster county;
Betzy, who died single; Henry and Samuel, who died
young; John, who died aged eighty years; and Isaac,
who died aged eighty-tour years.

Henry Furlow, father of Henry K., was born Dec.
26, 1831, in East Cocalico township, and died June 1,
1869, being buried at the Swamp Church in Lancaster
county. He had a tract of about twenty-five acres of
land, from which he cut the timber, which he burned
into charcoal and sold to the old furnaces of Berks
county. In 1854 Mr. Furlow was married to Eliza
Kegerise, born April 30, 1834, daughter of William
Kegerise, and she is still surviving and has lived with
her son Henry K. since 1880. To Henry Furlow and
his wife were born these children: William, born in
February, 1855, died in his second year; Henry K.;
Sarah and Kate were twins, born in December, 1859,
the former of whom married Samuel Fry, of Vera
CrU'Z, Pa., and the latter Henry Whitmoyer of Ross-
ville. Pa.; John, born Sept. 30, 1865, a farmer residing
near Wernersville, Pa., married Lillie Dundore; and
Frank, born Nov. 16, 1868, is foreman in a planing
mill at Pottsville, having form'erly been in business
with his brother. Henry K., at Denver, Pa. (m. Ida
Kohl).

Henry K. Furlow was reared upon the home farm
until twenty-one years of age, when he engaged in
the produce business in his native ^and surrounding
townships, residing during this time in East Cocalico
township. He had a large huckster route, over which
he went once a week, handling upwards of 2,000 dozen
of eggs and about 800 pounds of butter weekly. This
produce he sold at the market and at private places
in Reading, and during the time he continued in this
business, from 1878 to 1890 he was very successful and
made many friends. In 1885 Mr. Furlow and Jacob R.
Kessler bought the well-known "Eight Mile Hotel"
from William Ziemer, and this partnership continued
for one year, when Mr. Furlow bought Mr. Kessler's
interest, and has since been conducting the hostelry
alone. He rebuilt the premises in 1904, making one of
the finest stands in Berks county, outside of the city
of Reading. The hotel is situated at the west end of
Brecknock township, where four leading roads meet,
and on an elevation which affords a beautiful view. The
water is of the best and purest in the State, the table
fare is excellent and the roonas are well furnished,
comfortable and clean, there being six on the first floor,
eleven including a bath on the second, and three on the
third. Connected with the hotel is a tract of thirty-
four acres of land, which Mr. Furlow cultivates, and
he also has a fine orchard of fruit trees and a vineyard.
He has a pear orchard of 350 trees which bear as many
as 600 bushels yearly, the varieties being Kiefers,
47



Beauty Angelo, Berry Clargo. Clapps Favorite and the
Sheldon. He has fifty cherry trees, among them the
Richmond, Mount Moranga and Black Datanan, and
300 grape stalks, all Clinton, which promise well. The
orchard covers about three acres. . .

On May 3, 1889, Mr. Furlow married Lavmia
Kramer, born Sept. 8, 1870, daughter of Samuel and
Julian (Ziemer) Kramer, farming people of Breck-
nock township, and to this union there have been
born four children: Bessie, Elizabeth, John and Sam-
uel. In politics Mr. Furlow is a Democrat, and for a
period of twenty-one years, from 1885 until 1906, he
was postmaster at Knauers. He aijd his wife are Re-
formed members of Allegheny Union Church.

Henry Kramer, Mrs. Furlow's grandfather, lived
in Brecknock township, Berks county, and died aged
about forty-eight. He married Elizabeth Fritz, and
their children were: Susan Johnson, of Honeybrook;
Kate Schaellkopf, of Reading; Eliza Ziemer, of Breck-
nock; Lovesia Kachel, of Brecknock; Samuel Kramer;
Isaac; Elias, of near Bowmansville, in Lancaster coun-
ty, and Sarah Sparr, of Morgantown.

Isaac Kramer, son of Henry, and uncle of Mrs. Fur-
low, lives on iis father's farm, and also owns three or
four other farms in that neighborhood. He married
Elizabeth Hoshauer, and their children are: Amanda
Stover, of Bowmansville; Mary Kern, of Brecknock;
Emma Kieffer, of Morgantown; Sallie Snader, of Terre-
hill; Cassie Kachel, of Allegheny ville; and Isaac, Jr.,
of Alleghenyville.

Samuel Kramer, son of Henry and father of Mrs.
Furlow, was born March 15, 1827, and died May 18,
1906. His wife Julian Ziemer was born July 29, 1833,
and died April 1, 1901. Their children were: John,
Albert, Harvey, Samuel, Peter, Sarah Schweitzer, Eliza-
beth Kachel, Lavinia Furlow, Katie Hoyer and Henry.
Henry, the last named, died unmarried at the age of
forty-one. With his brother, Harvey, he was in the
leaf tobacco business, and Harvey still continues in
that line, also carrying on his father's farm (which he
now owns) and raising fine crops of tobacco.

HENRY A. BEADENCUP, who for ten years prior
to his death, May 9, 1900, was engaged in farming at
Birdsboro, Pa., was born in the city of Reading, Nov.
11, 1835, son of Henry A. and Sarah (Printz) Beaden-
cup.

Henry Beadencup was a puddler by trade, but in
later life located on a farm in Robeson township, where
he died in the faith of the Reformed Church.

Henry A. Beadencup was reared in his native city.
As a boy he had followed canal boat driving, later be-
coming master of the boat. He then learned the pud-
dling trade at Birdsboro, which he followed for a period
of thirty-five years. In 1890 he relinquished his trade
to give his attention to his farm in Birdsboro, where
his death took place ten years later. He was a Repul)-
lican in politics, and served efficiently as a member of
the borough council, and was fraternally connected*with
the I. O. O. F., Neversink Lodge; and Chandler Lodge
of Masons, No. 327, of Reading.

On May 9, 1857, Mr. Beadencup married Margaret
Elizabeth Grant, daughter of George and Mary (Hess)
Grant, who lived in Birdsboro from the time she was
thirteen years of age. Mr. and Mrs. Beadencup had
but one child, Sarah, who died when six years of age.
Mrs. Beadencup was a faithful member of the Birds-
boro Methodist Episcopal Church and was well known
in church and charitable work. She died Nov. 21, 1908.,
at the age of sixty-eight years.

Lewis Grant, Mrs. Beadencup's nephew, who con-
ducted the farm after Mr. Beadencup's death, was born
in May, 1865, in Birdsboro, son of John and Susan
(Hartz) Grant, and was educated in Birdsboro. He
was married in 1886, to Miss Ida Rimby, daughter of
Jacob and Mary Ann (Snyder) Rimiby, by whom he has
had seven children: Nora, m. to Harry Seidel; Anna
smgle; Margarett, m. to William Buchanan; Iva, single-
Harry, Lewis and Catherine. '



738



HISTORY OF BERKS COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



WALTER S. LOY, a prosperous farmer and justice
of the peace of Perry township, was born Nov. 8,
1850, in Windsor township, near Windsor Castle, Berks
county, son pf Joseph and Cathrine (Smith) Loy.

The popular tradition that two brothers came from
the Rhine Valley in Germany, is confirmed in this
case by record, and tradition also has it that they were
still single. On the same ship on which Matthias Loy
emigrated in 1733 to the land of his adoption, was
Anna Maria Ley (Loy), who is supposed to have been
his sister, ond who was then twenty-four years old. The
other brother's name was Hans Jurick (George) Ley,
who was then, in 1733. recorded as twenty-eight years
old. He settled in Windsor township, and owned the
farm of 220 acres now in possession of Joseph L. Smith.
His wife was Barbara Bossart, of Windsor township,
and they had children: Susanna, m. to John George
Focht, who purchased Mr. Loy's farm; Molly, who died
single; Jacob, m. to a Miss Billig, and father of Leah,
Charles and Nathan; Charles, m. to Deborah Leiby,
and father of Catherine, Henry W. and Alfred W.
(m. Esther' Anna Folk, and had two sons. Alfred B. and
William D. F.).

Matthias Loy, great-grandfather of Walter S., was
the first of that name to settle in Albany township,
locating in that district prior to the Revolutionary war.
He was a farmer and owned the original homestead,
which is now in the possession of Levi Sechler. As
far as is known Mafchias Loy had two sons: Adam;
and Michael, who had two sons, William and Phalon,
who resides in Albany township. Michael owned and
cultivated a farm of 1.54 acres, also in Albany township.

Adam Loy was a weaver and farmer in Albany town-
ship, owning the Loy homestead, on which he was born
and reared, and on which he lived and died. Adam Loy
an'd wife had twelve children, viz.: Samuel, Michael,
George, Jacob, Jessee, Jeremiah, William, Mary, Susan,
Adam, Elizabeth and Joseph.

Joseph Loy, son of Adam, was born Oct. 25. 1828,
in Albany township, Berks county, and came to Wind-
sor township when sixteen years of age; here he ac-
quired land and engaged in farming. He was also a
wheelwright by trade and did much of this work for
the farmers of his vicinity. Mr. Loy, who is well pre-
served for a man of his years, resides with his son.
He married Cathrine Smith, who died Dec. 29, 1905,
in her eighty-first year, and to this union there was
born but one child, Walter S.

Walter S. Loy obtained his education in the public
schools and at the Keystone State Normal School,
teaching school in his native townshio from 1871 to
1874, but the following year engaged in wheelwright-
ing, a trade which he learned from his father. He had
a shop near Dreibelbis Station, which he conducted
successfully for five years, then purchasing the 115-
acre farm on which he now resides. This property he
greatly improved, remodelling the barn and beautifying
the entire premises, and after the destruction of his
house by fire, he erected a handsome brick residence.
He now has one of the finest places in the township,
his farm being in good condition, fertile, well-managed
and productive. Mr. Loy is a Democrat in politics.
He is an active worker in the interests of his party,
having served as delegate to a number of county con-
ventions, as school director in Perry township, and in
other minor offices. Li the spring of 1904, he was
elected justice of the peace, in which capacity he has
rendered valuable service to the community. Mr. Loy
occupies a prominent position in his locality. He is
a man of influence and means, is public-spirited, enter-
prising, and a good citizen, and has won the friend-
ship and esteem of a large number of acquaintances.

On- Oct. 30, 1877, Mr. Loy married Hettie M. Kline,
daughter of Charles A. and Caroline (Merkel) Kline,
and to this union there have been born four children,
two sons and two daughters, namely: (l) Alice died in
infancy; (3) Sylvester K., was educated in the local
schools and the Keystone State Normal School, from
which he was graduated in 1898. He then taught school



for two terms, after which he entered Franklin and
Marshall College at Lancaster, Pa., graduating in 1905,
and he is now attending Johns Hopkins University in
Maryland. (3) Carrie m. in June, 1906, Monroe B.
Adam, an enterprising citizen and prominent business
man of Virginville. Pa. They have one child, Esther
Senora, born Dec. 16, 1907. (4) Joseph was educated
in the public schools and is now attending the Keystone
State Normal School at Kutztown, Pennsylvania.

DAVID K. KAUFMAN. One of the old and hon-
ored families of Berks county. Pa., is that of Kaufman,
which has a worthy representative in Reading in David
K. Kaufman, now living retired after a busy and suc-
cessful career.

The Katifman family" was founded in America by
two brothers, Jacob and Samuel Kaufman, who
emigrated from Switzerland to America in 1770, the
former sett'ing in the Oley Valley and the latter, the
great-grandfather of David K., in Maiden Creek, where
he became a very prosperous farmer and stock dealer
and a man well and favorably known in his vicinity.
The name of his wife is not known, but it is known
that their son, Samuel, married Catherine Berndt and
had a large family, among whom were: John G.,
Samuel, Daniel, David and two daughters, one of
whom married a Mr. Sell, and the other David Haas.
In religious belief the family were members of the
Reformed denomination. The Kaufmans were Whigs
up to the time of the formation of the Republican par-
ty, when they joined the latter organization.

David Kaufman, father of David K., was educated
in the old-fashioned log schoolhouse of his day, where,
although the floor was rough arid the benches poorly
constructed and minus the comfortably fashioned racks
of the schools of today, he received a substantial edu-
cation. After spending a few years at farm labor, Mr.
Kaufman engaged in iron manufacturing, purchasing,
in company with Samuel Kaufman, the well-known
Mt. Laurel Furnaces property, and built up a mammoth
business for those days — in fact, the largest in the
county. They were the pioneers of the industry in
this section, and their business formed the nucleus of
the present Temple Iron Works. It may be truth-
fully said that Temple owes its present prosperity to
the Messrs. Kaufman. They continued in that busi-
ness until they sold out to William H. Clymer & Co.,
arid Mr. Kaufman removed to Milton, Lycoming
county, where he built an iron furnace. These broth-,
ers also owned the Moselem Iron Ore Banks, which
were then and still are the most extensive in the coun-
ty, although they are not being operated at the pres-
ent time. Another brother owned and operated the
furnace at Leesport. Mr. David Kaufman operated
his Milton furnace until his death in 1870, in his fifty-
sixth year. David Kaufman m. (first) Eliza Keller, and
to this union one child was born, David K. He m.
(second) Miss Madary, and to this second union there
were born a large family, members of whom reside
today in Lycoming county.

David K. Kaufman was born at Mt. Laurel Furnaces
June 19, 1845, and educated in the schools of Maiden-
creek. When a lad of twelve years he went to live with
his unc'e, Samuel G. Kaufman, with whom he remained
until attaining his majority. He started his business
life as a clerk for William S. Baer & Co., with which
firm he continued several years, then going to Findlay,
Ohio, to accept a position as clerk in Senator H. P.
G;:tes' mercantile establishment. Here he remained
one year and then resigned to take a like position with
Sonders & Co., of Tiffin, Ohio, returning to his native
county one year later. He secured employment as
baggage master and extra conductor with the East
Penn Railway, operating between Harrisburg and
New York, this road being later absorbed by the Phila-
delphia & Reading Company. Mr. Kaufman then
entered the employ of the Philadelphia & Reading



BIOGRAPHICAL



739



rolling mill, as a common laborer, and after a short
time was promoted to roller, continuing with the com-
pany for twelve years and four months. At the end
of this time he leased the Reading Oil Refinery, which
he conducted for one year, and then purchased a farm
in the northern part of the city. On this fertile, well-
cultivated tract of eleven acres, on Centre avenue, be-
tween Amity and Union streets, Mr. Kaufman engaged
profitably in truck farming, until he sold in 1907 for
$36,000. The property was very valuable for building
purposes, containing 150 building lots and before selling
it, Mr. Kaufman received many flattering offers. He
is now living retired.

In 1869 Mr. Kaufman married Magdalena R.
Klohs. and to this union were born two children: Wil-
liam H.; and Sally A., m. to John G. Willets. Mr.
Kaufman m. (second) Rosa Leightheiser, a native of
Reading, but there have been no children to this union.
Mr. Kaufman is fraternally connected with Mt. Penn
Council, Royal Arcanum. He is a member of the
Evangelical Church, which his wife also attends. For
fifteen years he was a director of the Reading Relief
Society. In political affairs Mr. Kaufman is a Re-
publican, but he has never had a desire to hold public
office, but for six years was a member of the Reading
school board. He is one of the city's substantial citi-
zens, and is well and favorably known throughout his
vicinity.

GEORGE W. STOUDT, a retired farmer living at
Shartlesville, in Upper Bern township, Berks county,
owns a fine farm of 115 acres in that township, where
he followed agricultural pursuits for twenty-four years
before his retirement. Mr. Stoudt was born at Rehrers-
burg, Berks county, June 9, 1850, son of Isaac K.
Stoudt, and grandson of George Stoudt. Both his
father .and grandfather were natives of Berks county.,

George Stoudt was born above Strausstown. He
farmed in Maiden-creek township for a time, later re-
turning to Rehrersburg, where he died. He married a
Misfe Kutz, of Kutztown, and to them were born the
following named children: William K., George K.,
Isaac K., John K., Mary, Sarah and Eliza.

Isaac K. Stoudt was born in Maiden-creek township,
and died at Rehrersburg. He, too, was a farmer, and
he owned two farms, one of sixty-five acres and one
of 100 acres, as well as a smaller tract of twelve acres.
He was a well-known man in his day and a much
respected citizen. His wife, Mary Moyer, was a daugh-
ter of Peter Moyer. To Mr. and Mrs. Stoudt were born
children as follows : Adam" W. is living at Rehrers-
burg: Mary m. (first) Daniel Hartman and (second)
Philip Peifer; George W. ; Amelia m. Adam Dieffen-
bach; Emma; Kate is deceased; and Franklin P. lives
near Millersburg, this State.

George W. Stoudt received his education in the
public schools, and was reared to farming, remaining
with his father until he reached the age of twenty-
six years. Pie then married, after which he began
farming in Bethel township, this county, where he re-
mained for six years, moving thence to Upper Bern
township, where he bought the William G. Rentschler
farm of. eighty-two acr es. Th ere he made his home
and carried on general farming for twenty-four years,
meantime adding thirty-three acres to the original tract.
Though he has retired from active farm work himself,
Mr. Stoudt still retains the owners'hip of this land,
which is a valuable piece of property, well watered and
well located. In 1908, Mr. Stoudt built himself a fine
home on the main street, in Shartlesville, and he also
owns another good place, which he rents. He takes
an interest in the life of his community, being an active
member of St. Michael's Reformed Church, which he
has served as deacon, and he has been a! member of the
board of school directors of Upper Bern township. He
is a Democrat in political sentiment.

Mr. Stoudt's first wife was Annie Maria Rentschler,
daughter of William G. Rentschler. She died in 1896,



and is buried at St. Michael's Church Four children
were born to this union: Lucretia m. Harry Groff, and
lives near Millersbyrg; Robert m. Mary Rentschler,
and lives in Upper Bern township, this county; Carrie,
unmarried, is living in Reading, Pa.; and Masie died
at the age of ten years. For his second wife Mr.
Stoudt married Clara L. Rishel, daughter of William
and Maria (Wenrich) Rishel, and to them has been
born one daughter, Sallie V., who is attending school.

MILTON Z. GILBERT, a worthy citizen living re-
tired above Bechtelsville, in Washington towrnship,
Berks county, was born on his father's farm in the
same township Dec. 28, 1841, son of John and Sarah
(Zoller) Gilbert.

The Gilberts have been a difficult family to trace.
There were two Bernhard Gilberts, and the relation-
ship existing'between them is not known. Conrad and
Bernhard Gilbert both took the oath of allegiance
Sept. 33, 1760. Bernhard Gilbert, Sr., married Mary
Elizabeth Meyer, and their son Bernhard, born 1766,
married Susanna Hornetter. Bernhard and Susanna
became the parents of four children: Henry, born 1791;
Magdalena, born 1798; John, born 1801, (sponsors:
John Adam and Magdalena Gilbert) ; and George, born
1803 (sponsors: John and Elizabeth Gilbert).

Conrad Gilbert, on Jan. 27, 1761, bought from Lud^
wig Harring, of Douglass township, Montgomery coun-
ty, a tract of twenty-three acres, situated partly in
McCall's Manor. He was represented as a "taylor."
Conrad Gilbert and his wife Anna Elizabeth had eight
children, namely: Mary Magdalene, born 1758. m.
George Orwig, son of Gottfried Orwig, a Revolutionary
soldier; Catharine, born 1760; Anna Elizabeth, 1762;
Andrew, 1764; John Peter, 1766; Anna Maria, 1770;
Salome, 1772; Christina, 1775.



Bernhard Gilbert, grandfather of Milton Z.. lived in
Greenwich, township, Berks county, to' which place
he had removed in his early manhood. Among his
children were: John (Johannes); and Catharine, Mrs.
Ginder, who lived in Rockland township.

John (Johannes) Gilbert was born in Greenwich
township, about 1801. and died in January, 1874. He
came from New Hanover, Montgomery county, to
Washington township, Berks county, where he became
the owner of a farm now the property of his son,
Milton Z. He built an addition to his house, and fol-
lowed stocking weaving for many years. A great
many sheep were raised in the neighborhood, and he
wove the stockings from the wool. He was a Demo-
crat, and for six years was assessor and tax collector,
and was one of the well known men of his locality.
He was active in the Lutheran church, and was a
member of the building committee when the Hill
church was buflt. He served as deacon and elder.
The Hill church property had considerable woodland,
and the wood was ordered cut, Mr. Gilbert being given



Online LibraryMorton L. (Morton Luther) MontgomeryHistorical and biographical annals of Berks County, Pennsylvania, embracing a concise history of the county and a genealogical and biographical record of representative families, comp. by Morton L. Montgomery .. → online text (page 212 of 227)