Morton L. (Morton Luther) Montgomery.

Historical and biographical annals of Berks County, Pennsylvania, embracing a concise history of the county and a genealogical and biographical record of representative families, comp. by Morton L. Montgomery .. online

. (page 213 of 227)
Online LibraryMorton L. (Morton Luther) MontgomeryHistorical and biographical annals of Berks County, Pennsylvania, embracing a concise history of the county and a genealogical and biographical record of representative families, comp. by Morton L. Montgomery .. → online text (page 213 of 227)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


charge of this work. He married Sarah Zpller, of New
Hanover township, who survived him some time. Their
children were: Aaron, born 1825; Jesse, 1837; Hettie,
1839; Lydia, 1831; Levi Z., 1833; Lovina, 18S5; Henry.
1837; William, 1839; Milton Z., 1841; Elizabeth, 1844;
Catharine, 1849; and Mary Ann, 1850.

Milton Z. Gilbert was reared to farm work, and gave
his services to his parents until he was twenty years
o'd. After he left home he worked one year on the
farm in Washington township, and one season on a
farm in Chester county. In 1869 he went to' Vermil-
lion county. 111., where he lived one season. He re-
turned to Berks county the same year.

In 1869 Mr. Gilbert married Mary Cleaver, daughter
of Ephraim and Elizabeth (Gross) Cleaver, of Cole-
brookdale. She died April 30, 1874, in her twenty-
sixth year. The three children of this union were:
Ephraim. unmarried; Emeline, m. ' to John Smith, of
Shanesville; and Horace, m. to Alice Fraunheiser, 'and



740



HISTORY OF BERKS COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



farming the homestead. Mr. Gilbert m. (second) Oct. at No. 1013 Chestnut street, beginning on a small scale,
28 1876 Sarah B. Wolfgang, daughter of Michael and In 1896 he built a three-story factory structure, 134 x



Rebecca (Bare) Wolfgang, of Colebrookdale. Mr.
Gilbert has an old German Bible printed in 1743, which
he obtained from his father, John (Johannes) Gilbert,
and this he prizes very highly.

DR. J. H. WAHL, a successful medical practitioner,
who has been in general practice in the city of Read-
ing, Pa., since 1904, was born Aug. 19, 1859, in Lower
Heidelberg township. Berks county, son of James and
Rebecca (Krick) Wahl.

Michael Wahl, great-grandfather of the Doctor, set-
tled in Alsace township, where he ownied a farm and
where the rest of his life was spent. He and his
wife had the following children: John, Samuel, Jacob,
Magdalena, Pauline and Kate.

John Wahl, son of Michael, married Susannah Drei-
ble, and to them were born children as follows: Sam-
uel, Nicholas. John, Daniel, William, Abraham, Amos,
James (the father of Dr. J. H.), Susannah and Henry.
In religious belief the family were connected wtih
the Reformed Church. Amos Wahl, son of John, mar-
ried Marv Ann Albert, a native of Berks county, daugh-
ter of Henry Albert, and to them were born ten child-
ren: Ellen (m. Amos Schilt), John (m. Mary Saylor),
Francis (m. Magdalena Faust), Mary (m. Reuben Hin-
nershitz), Emma (m. James Rothenberger), and five
that died in infancy.

James Wahl, son of John, was born in Berks county,
and there followed his trade of blacksmith, also operat-
ing a small farm in Lower Heidelberg township. He
died at West Reading, Feb. 4, 1905, aged seventy-
three years. His wife, Rebecca Krick, who is still
living, resides at West Reading, and is sixty-nine years
old. Four children were born to Mr. and Mrs. Wahl,
of whom two grew to maturity: Katie A. m. Morris
Geiss, and has two children — Florence and Raymond;
and Dr. J. H.' The family were members of the Re-
formed Church.

Dr. J. H. Wahl received his early education in the
common schools of his native place and Brunner's
Scientific Academy, and on June 25, 1885, graduated
from the Keystone State Normal School. He com-
menced teaching in Berks county, and later taught in
Lancaster county, in all nine years, two years of which
were spent in the Boyertown high school. He read



45 feet, and three years later an addition 37 x 45 feet.
Owing to an increase in business, Mr. Fries was com-
pelled to build, in November, 1905, another addition,
35x35 feet. Mr. Fries has installed the latest candy
making machinery, and during the winter his output
is on an average of a ton of candy daily. He manu-
factures chocolates and Easter novelties, and all hard
candies. Mr. Fries makes a specialty of ice cream.
Fries Celebrated, as it is known, having this name
registered. Peach Brand Confectionery is another of
Mr. Fries' products, and it is widely known for its ex-
cellence. He has a very large trade among private
families, having two wagons continually on the streets,
and employs about tweijty-five hands. His factory is
in the rear of his store, and his residence is at No. 1007
Franklin street. He erected a fine dwelling house at
Nos. 1017-19 Chestnut street. The store room at his
residence is 27i x 80 feet, and is the finest in the city.
His factory is operated by one fifteen, two four and
two two-horse-power motors, and a twenty-three horse-
power boiler and engine. It is widely known for clean-
liness, and Mr. Fries takes pleasure in manufacturing
the best of goods. He has installed an ice machine,
capacity ten tons, for the manufacture of his own ice.

Mr. Fries married Emma Deifenbach, daughter of
William Diefenbach, of Reading, and four children
were born to this union: Clayton M., who has charge
of his father's factory, m. Mamie Moyer; Edna m.
William Criswell, manager of the Lester Shoe Store
at Reading; and two died young. The family are
Methodists. Mr. Fries is a very prominent member
of the K. O. T. M., P. O. S. of A., Jr. O. U. A. M.,
K. G. E., R. A., and the Princes of Bagdad.

JOHN H. WESLEY, a well-known citizen of Read-
ing, and a soldier of the Civil war, was born -June 9,
1846, in Robeson township, Berks county, Pa., son of
Mark and Susan (Shafer) Wesley.

Mark Wesley was a collier and laborer — an hon-
est, hard-working man. When his son, John H., was
an infant, he settled at Reading. To him and his wife
Susan (Shafer) were born the following children:
Phebe Ann, m. to Isaac D. Whitman; Samuel L., who
served in the Civil war as a member of Company B,
88th Pa. V. I.; John H.; Kate, m. to Thomas Rogers;
Charles, an engineer with the Philadelphia & Reading



medicine with Dr. Samuel M. Todd, and entered the ^.^'j-^^y Company; Harry, of Louisiana; and one hat
University of Michigan, and later the Medical Col- ^'^^ " '"^TX ^",,^ YV^rl ^"^ ^ t^ were consistent
lege of Indiana, at Indianapolis. His first field of members of the Methodist Church. In politics he was
practice was the town of Adamstown, Lancaster ^ ^^ completing his education in the schools of
county where he spent four years, the next thir een Reading, John H Wesley entered the cotton mill,
years being at Grantyille, Dauphin county In 1904 ^^^^ ^'^ '^^^ subsequently made a foreman, and was
he located on West Oley street, Reading, where he has working as such when, in March, 1862, he entered the
since been located in a general practice. Dr. Wahl g^jpi^y ^f j^^^^ ghafer, with whom he remained until
IS a member of the Medical Staff of St. Joseph Hospital, August 6th, when he enlisted in Company B, 128 Pa.
Keading. ■ , a • t. •««■ , , , V. I., and accompanied his regiment to the front three

}"J.^?}' ^l;^^^^ married Annie R. Mohn daughter days later. He had for officers, Capt. William McNall
of William Mohn, and to this union there have been and Col. Samuel Croasdale. The regiment was ihus-
born two children, one dying in infancy, and Ethel tered in at Camp Curtin and was then sent on the join
Pauline, who is attending school. Dr. Wahl is a Demo- McClellan's army. The first battle of importance in
crat in politics, and while living in Dauphin county which Mr. Wesley took part was Antietam and the
was for eight years county physician. He is connected second was Chancellorsville. When his first enlist-
with the Reformed Church, while Mrs. Wahl is a ment of nine months had expired he enlisted in Corn-
member of the United Evangelical Church. pany H, 42nd P. V. M., Captain John Obold, and was

discharged after the battle of Gettysburg. He again
J. M. FRIES, a manufacturing confectioner at No. enlisted in July, 1864, in Company I. 196th Pa. V.
1013 Chestnut street, Reading, was born in 1863, at I., Capt. George S. Rowbotham, and was elected
Leesport, Pa., son of John W. Fries, who is engaged in second lieutenant of the company. The command
the restaurantbusiness in Reading. _ was sent to Baltimore. Md., and was then shipped

John M. Fries received his education in the public to Camp Douglas, Chicago, 111., to do guard duty,
schools of Lancaster and Berks counties, and located as there were 1.500 Rebel prisoners at that point,
in Reading in 1876, being employed as an aporentice After returning East, Lieut. Wesley was stationed
with C. M. Groff, with whom he remained eight years, at Fort Delaware, where the regiment relieved a
He was with a Mr. Kraft for four years, and with Mr. detachment to allow them to vote, Pennsylvania
Brown, who bought out Mr. Kraft, two years. Mr. soldiers having voted in the field. Soon afterward, in
Fries engaged in business on his own account in 1887, 1864, Mr. Wesley was discharged and returned to



BIOGRAPHICAL



741



Reading, entering the employ of the Reading Hardware
Company, as an apprentice to the molder's trade. Com-
pleting his apprenticeship, he went to Warren county,
Pa., and remained about two and one-half years in the
oil fields, then going to Renovo for a short time, where
he engaged at his trade. He then accepted a position
as clerk in the "Renovo Hotel," but, in the fall of
1873 returned to the ertiploy of the Reading Hardware
Company, remaining with them until 1877, when he ac-
cepted a position with the Keystone Hardware Com-
pany, at Tenth and Spruce streets as foreman. After
one year he returned- to the employ of the Reading
Hardware Company, and on Feb. 14, 1879, accepted a
position with the Penn Hardware Company, with
■which company he has continued to the present time
in the capacity of foreman. He has charge on an
average of 125 men in the molding department.

In December, 1873, Mr. Wesley married Emma Swe-
gar, daughter of David and Margaret (Bosserman)
Swegar, and to this union there were bprn four chil-
dren: Esther M., deceased; Marion J., Carrie S., and
J. Frank. The latter, one of Reading's most popular
young men, was drowned July 4, 1906.

John H. Wesley is a member of Renovo Lodge, No.
495, F. & A. M., and of Liberty Fire Company, which
he joined in 1865. He is a stanch Republican in his
political belief, but takes only a good citizen's part
therein.

ADAMS. Anthony Adam, a potter by trade, was
born in the Fatherland in the year 1716, and emigrated
to America in the year 1741. He sailed from Rotter-
dam on the Snow "Molly," commanded by Captain
John Cranch. This vessel arrived at Philadelphia, and
the passengers, having taken the oath of allegiance to
the English Sovereign, were qualified to land, Oct.
26, 1741. Anthony Adam's age is entered on the pas-
senger list as twenty-five years. On Feb. 7, 1748, he
received from the Proprietaries of the Province of
Pennsylvania, a warrant for a tract of 136 A. 146 P.
of land in Albany township, then a part of Philadel-
phia county. This land was surveyed for him by the
Surveyor-General of the Province, June 6, 1752. The
farm is now in the possession of Nathan Weisner of
Round Top, Albany township, Berks county.

Anthony Adam, or Andoni Adam, as he wrote his
name, received a warran,t for a tract of 135 A. and
47 P. "above Maxatawny," Feb. 7, 1748. In 1761 he
sold 140 acres of his land in Albany township to John
Reinhard. He was administrator of the estate of
Albrecht Stimmel, of Albany township, in 1766, being
the chief creditor. His administration account was
audited and approved in December of 1768. The date
of death of Anthony Adam, of Albany township, is
not known.

Anthony Adam (2), son of Anthony of Albany town-
ship, was born about the year 1736, and was a resident
of the adjoining township of Windsor in 1758, de-
scribed on the tax list of that year, as a single man.
He married Rosina Dunkel, widow of Vincent Lesher,
of Richmond township. Anthony Adam served during
the Revolutionary War as a private in Captain Jacob
Ladich's Company, Colonel Samuel Ely's Battalion of
Berks County Militia, as appears from a muster roll
showing that this company was in the service of the
United States from Oct. 1, to Oct. 17, 1781
(Pennsylvania Archives, 5th Series, Vol. V, pp. 37'9-281).
In 1799 Anthony Adam (2) received from the State
of Pennsylvania, a patent for 307 acres of land called
"Manheim" on Briar Creek, in Northumberland (now
Columbia) county, Pennsylvania, a.nd in 1806, received
a patent for another tract of 436 acres called "Quincy"
on the samg creek. These lands he conveyed to his
four sons. Anthony Adam died sometime after April
37, 1809. He had at least four children, as follows.
Peter, of Windsor township, Berks county, born Oct.
1, 1765, died July 1, 1849, m. Catharina Hausknecht;



Anthony (3) was of Briar Creek township, Columbia
county; Jacob Adam, of Richmond township, Berks
county, m. Susan Kline; Abraham, of Briar Creek, born
Oct. 7, 1799, died in Briar Creek, July 6, 1855, m.
Sarah Miller.

Anthony Adam (3) established the Adams home-
stead in Briar Creek township, Columbia county. Pa.
He was the son of Anthony Adam and Rosina Dunkel,
of Windsor township, Berks county, and was born
Dec. 25, 1767. He served as a private in Captain
Christian Madery's Company of Berks County Mihtia,
which was "Ordered t Wyoming by the Supreme Ex-
ecutive Council of the State of Pennsylvania." This
company arrived at Fort Allen Nov. 31, 1787, at Wyom-
ing, November 36th, and was discharged January 6,
1788. (Pennsylvania Archives, 6th Series Vol. Ill, pp.
94, 95, 96.) Anthony Adam (3) settled in Briar Creek
as early as 1792, for on Oct. 18th of that year a warrant
was granted to him for 278 acres of land for which
he received patent in 1811. On March 30, 1795, he
purchased seventy-five acres of land in Fishing Creek
township (later a part of Briar Creek). The tract of
land called "Manheim;" containing 307 acres, was deed-
ed to him by his father, Sept. 3, 1806. On Oct. 15,
1811, he received a deed from his three brothers for
his fourth _ interest (106 acres) in the tract' of land
called "Quincy." He married Catherine Glass, born
Dec. 30, 1766, died Aug. 12, 1845. He died April 39,
1832. Both are buried in the Briar Creek Reformed
Church-yard, five miles west of Berwick, Pennyslvania.
The children of Anthony Adam and Catherine Glass:
(1) Hannah, born May 10, 1790, died Sept. 3, 1870. m.
Daniel Zaner, of Briar Creek. (2) William, of Briar
Cr^ek, born Dec. 15, 1791, died April 26, 1860, m. Su-
sanna Hess. He served during the War of 1813-1814,
as a private in Captain George Hidler's Company in
the 112th Regiment of Columbia County MiHtia, under
Colonel Andrew Keller. (3) Samuel, .of Briar Creek,
born in 1793, died Nov. 39, 1846, m. Esther Hill. (4)
Anthony (4) m. Elsie Engle, and removed to Rock
Island, 111. (51 Rachel, born Nov. 39, 1797. died April
8, 1853, m. in June, 1817, William Trugh, of Berwick.
(6) Abraham m. a Goble, and removed to Rock Island,
III. He served in the same company with his brother
in the War of 1813-1814. (7) EHzabeth m. John Hut-
ton, and removed to Illinois. (8) Catherine, born May
13, 1803, died Sept. 26. 1840, unmarried. (9) Mary
Magdalene, born in 1806, died June 17, 1879, m. Aug.
22, 1824. Enos Leidy, of Berwick and later of Mana-
yunk, Philadelphia. (10) Sarah Adam, bom May 39,
1808, died March 17, 1873, m. Jacob Moyer, of Ber-
wick.

_ Samuel Adams, son of Anthony Adam and Cathe-
rine Glass of Briar Creek township, Columbia county.
Pa., was born there in 1793', and remained in the same
township. He married June 37, 1819, Esther Hill, who
was born March 21, 1802 and died March 9, ' 1836.
daughter of Captain Frederick Hill, proprietor 'of the'
old "Fort Jenkins Inn," and his wife, Catherine Con-
ner. Captain Frederick Hill was born March 8 1773
and died Aug. 31, 1833. He was commissioned Captain
of the Sixth Company of the 112th Regiment of the
Mihtia of Pennsylvania, by Governor Thomas Mc-
Kean, Aug. 3, 1807, as appears by the original com-
mission in the possession of Charles F. Hill, Esq of
Hazleton. Captain Frederick Hill was the son of Fred- '
erick Hill of Berks county, by his wife Maria, daughter

r I ,^^ J^'^°^ Levan, Colonial Judge of the Courts
of Berks County. Frederick Hill, Berks County, father
of Captain Frederick Hill, served during the Revolu-
tionary war m the Continental Line. He enlisted
May 1, 1776, as a private in Captain Lewis Farmer's
Company in the Pennsylvania Rifle Regiment, com-
manded by Colonel Samuel Miles. After the capture
of Colonel Miles and the greater portion of the com-
mand at the Battle of Long Island, Frederick Hill
with other survivors of the Rifle Regiment, enlisted in



743 HISTORY OF BERKS COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA

The State Regiment of Foot. He served in this regi- Andrew Nelson Bodey was born Nov. 30, 1866, and
ment in 1777 as a private in Captain John Nice's Com- was educated in the public schools of Reading. His
pany, participating in the Battles of Brandywine and first business was as a cabinet finisher, and he con-
>• \. /o 1 „„;, 4,.-v,;„<.= KfV, QorJoo v^l tmued at this for about ten months, after which he en-
German own. (Pennsylvania Archives, 5th Series, Vol- ^^^^^ ^.^^ ^ ^ ^uden, the manufacturing confec-

ume II.) , T- . TT-11 c -D ■ r- I tioner. He learned the business, and, step by step,

Samuel Adams and Esther Hill of Briar /-reek .j^g^ked himself up, until he now holds the responsible

township. Columbia County, Pennsylvania, had the fol- position of manager, being at the head of 450 people,

lowing children: Anthony, born Feb. S6, 1821, died in Mr. Bodey was married. Jan. 11, 1890, to Sallie

infancy; Mary Ann, born Jan. 31, 1832, died March 1, Trumbore, daughter of Andrew and Diana Trumbore,

1877, m. (first) Louis Traugh, of Berwick (died Nov. of Reading. Four children have been born to this

5, 1850) and (second) Warren Vanderhoven; Enos union: Harry, who died when one and one-half years-

L. is mentioned next. old; and Norman, Walter and Carl, all at school. Mr.

Enos L. Adams, of Briar Creek townhsip, Columbia Bodey belongs to the Sons of Veterans, the P. O. S. of

county. Pa., son of Samuel Adams and Esther Hill, A., and the Knights of Friendship. He is a member

of the same place, was born July 28, 1824. He married of Zion's German Reformed Church. _ Mr. Bodey is

March 13, 1847. Margaret Kisner, who was born April independent in politics. He makes his home at No.

31. 1827, and died May 19, 1872, daughter of John 136 Windsor street.
Kisner and Lydia Kinney. Lydia Kinney was born

Nov. 10. 1805, and died Sept. 5, 1851, daughter of John GEORGE WERT, late a prosperous farmer in the
Kinney and granddaughter of Major John Kinney, a employ of E. &' G. Brooke, and a man of many firm
Revolutionary officer of New Jersey. friends, was a native son of Pennsylvania, born near
Mr. Enos L. Adams owned the old Adams home- Churchtown, in Lancaster county, Jan. 7, 1837, son of
stead in Briar Creek township, several properties in Samuel and Catharine (Ridge) Wert,
the neighboring town of Berwick, and some lands in Mr. Wert received his education m the common
the State of Kansas. From 1873 to 1880, he was the schools of his native county, and in his young man-
senior member of the firm of Adams & Son, merchants, hood came to Berks county, where he entered the em-
of Berwick. He died Aug. 17. 1887. The children of P'oy of Levi Smith, and later of Col. Heber Smith at
Enos L. Adams and Margaret Kisner were: (1) Alice Joanna Furnace. There he continued for the next
Lydia, born Feb. 11, 1848, married Jan. 7. 1869, James fourteen years proving himself a faithful and con-
Knox Polk Freas. of Berwick, who died Oct. 16, 1898. scientious workman. On Nov. 1, 1864, he came to
(3) John Kisner, born April 8, 1850. died March 15, Birdsboro, and from that time until his death he was
1880. unmarried. (3) Samuel Warren, born Feb. 3, employed by E. &G. Brooke m the operation of their
1853, was of Berwick. (4) Enos Kinney, born July 8. farm and dairy. He thoroughly understood his work,
1855. died 'Nov. 30, 1889. m. Clara Miles. (5) Anna f^^ ^?°^ ^r^^* ^"^^ "^ 'J-T^ '* TI-' ^'""J"^ thereby
Mary, born Nov. 4, 1857, m. Joseph H. Turnbach, a ^^^ ^jgh esteem and confidence of his employers. He
hardware merchant of Philipsburg. Pa. She died Dec. ^^^ 1^°"."* ^"/ "P"^^* in all his dealings, and attended
30, 1903. (6) William L., born May 37, 1860. is men- Y^'^ f '"i^t'^ ^° ^'^. °^" business It has been said of

tioned below. (7) Charles Elliott, born Jan. -26. 1863, ^"'. l'l\^'' 7o°\L7ZnZIT^ %^T t^ ^u^^'

I -D • r \/r -c A iu i. /o\ ivV J. Tj He died Aug. 39, 1895, mourned by all who knew him.

of Berwick, m. Mary E. Albertson. (8) Margaret Ida, q^ j^„^ ^^ ^^' j^; ^^^^ ^^^^.^^ ^^^U Hoffman,

born Oct 11, 1866, married Oct. 9 1891, Leoni H. daughter of Peter and Margaret (Mock) Hoffman, and
?F^.li'. °^ B"wick. (9) Francis Laura, born Oct. ^f the nine children that blessed their union, seven are
14, 1869, m June 2, 1904, James L. Evans, attorney- gtiu ii^i„ These were: Margaret m. William Seig-
at-law, of Berwick. (10) Edwm Orison, born March f^ied, and has three children, George E.. Hannah A.
13 1872, died Aug. 6, 1872. and Lula I.; Kate m. Harry Roberts, and has six
.William L. Adams, son of Enos , L. and Margaret children, Emma. Millie. Morris, William. Carrie and
(Kisner), was born at the Adams homestead in Briar Albert; Samuelm. Emma Buchter, and has six chil-
Creek township, Columbia Co., Pa., May 27, 1860. He dren, Anna, Elmer, Maggie, Millie. Katie and Harvey;
was educated at Mt. Union College, Alliance, Ohio, Elizabeth m. Morris Jones (no issue); Peter, of East
graduating with the Class of 1881. On Aug. 15, 1888, Chatham, N. Y., has two children. Carroll and Amelia;
he was married at Fort Worth, Texas, to Lizzie A. George m. Edith HofTman, and has two sons, G. How-
Davis, only daughter of Willis G. Davis and Adelia ard and Warren; Nettie m. A. Watson Keagy. and has
Anderson, of Colon, Mich., and a graduate of the five children. Edith, Alma. Harold. Alice and Marie;
Michigan Seminary, Kalamazoo, Mich. Since March and Emma and Amelia died in infancy,
of 1890, Mr. and Mrs. William L. Adams have re- Mr. Wert was a member of St. Michael's Episcopal
sided at Hoquiam, Washington. They have four child- Church. In his political faith he was a Democrat,
ren living, viz: Gaylord, born Aug. 8, 1890; Gwenivere and cast his ballot in support of the men and measures
Sept. 12, 1893; Elizabeth, Jan. 30, 1898, and William L., of that party. He was an active member of the Junior
Jr., May 27, 1907. William L. Adams is president of O. U. A. M., to which, at the time of his death, he had
The First National Bank of Hoquiam, and president belonged for more than thirty years. Mrs. Wert still
of the Keystone Timber Company of Hoquiam. makes her home in Birdsboro, where she is highly re-
spected by all who know her.
ANDREW N. BODEY, the efficient and capable
manager of Luden's Candy Factory, Reading, Pa., is MARTIN R. MENGEL, proprietor of the "Kemp-
one of that city's prominent and enterprising business ton House," Kempton, Pa., is a native of Perry town-
men. He is a son of Nelson P. Bodey, a dealer in ship, Berks county, born Nov. 23, 1853, son of Martin
fruits and provisions, who died in February, 1905, aged and Susan (Reber) Mangel.

fifty-nine years. He was a soldier in the war of the Nicholas Mengel, the first of the family to come to

Rebellion, in Company E, 151st Pa. V. I., serving nine America, was born in Germany, and in the middle

months, and was wounded during the second days' of the eighteenth century in company viath three other

fighting at Gettysburg, being shot in both legs. He young men of his country came to Arnerica. He was

suffered greatly from these wounds all the rest of his a redemptioner, and was bound out until the cost of

life. Andrew N. Bodey's mother, Isabella (Mengel) his passage was paid by a Mr. Gernand, a farmer in

Bodey, died when he was three years old, he having Maiden-creek township, Berks Co., Pa. After his

been the only child born to this union. Nelson P. freedom was obtained, he remained with his employer

Bodey's second wife, Clara, bore him five children, two for three or more years. By frugality, industry and

of whom are now living: Norman, and Addie, the wife economy he earned sufficient means to purchase a

of Harry McGrath. tract of 300 acres of land in Maiden-creek township.



BIOGRAPHICAL



743



and from that" time until his death he engaged in its
cultivation. He had a number of children, among
whom were: Frederick, Peter and Jacob.

Jacob Mengel, grandfather of Martin R., born in
1777, lived in Perry township on the farm now owned
by his grandson, David G. He was a farmer and owned
a large tract of land. He died in his eighty-eighth



Online LibraryMorton L. (Morton Luther) MontgomeryHistorical and biographical annals of Berks County, Pennsylvania, embracing a concise history of the county and a genealogical and biographical record of representative families, comp. by Morton L. Montgomery .. → online text (page 213 of 227)