Morton L. (Morton Luther) Montgomery.

Historical and biographical annals of Berks County, Pennsylvania, embracing a concise history of the county and a genealogical and biographical record of representative families, comp. by Morton L. Montgomery .. online

. (page 214 of 227)
Online LibraryMorton L. (Morton Luther) MontgomeryHistorical and biographical annals of Berks County, Pennsylvania, embracing a concise history of the county and a genealogical and biographical record of representative families, comp. by Morton L. Montgomery .. → online text (page 214 of 227)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


year and is buried at Zion's Churrch, in Perry township,
of which he was a Lutheran member. He married
Elizabeth Reichert, and their children were:. Solomon,
Jacob, Jeremiah, Elizabeth (m. Benjamin Gruber), Mar-
tin, Ann (m. Solomon Schappell), Susanna (m. John
de Turck), Thomas, Jonas and John.

Martin Mengel, son of Jacob and Elizabeth, was
born in Perry township about 1813, and died in 1884,
and is buried at Zion's Church. By trade he was a
stone mason, and he built many houses and barns
through Maiden-creek township. He also owned a
farm in Perry township, adjoining Zion's Church. This
consisted of 160 acres of good land. He was very
prosperous and left a goodly estate. In politics he
was a Democrat, and held the ofhce of school director.
In religious belief he was a Lutheran and held a num-
ber of offices in the church. He married Susan Reber,
daughter of Jacob Reber and wife, whose maiden name
was Baer. To this union were born children as fol-
lows: Benjamin, Simon, Martin R., Franklin, Esther
(ra. Jeremiah Kerschner), Elizabeth (died young),
Margaret (died young), Diana (m. Charles Moyer),
Susan (m. (first) James Williams and (second) Frank
Miller), Lovina (m. Heber Dries), Emma (died unmar-
ried) and Mary (m. Adam Starr). Martin Mengel m.
(second) Mary Frey, widow of. a Mr. Smith of Al-
bany.* They lived at Hamburg, where Mrs. Mengel still
resides, now past eighty years of age.

Martin R. Mengel, son of Martin, attended the
common schools in his youth, and lived on the home
farm until he was twenty-one. He then learned the
blacksmith's trade from Daniel Smith, of Windsor
Castle, and this he followed for three years in Iowa
and South Dakota, living in the West from 1876 to
1896. He engaged in threshing out West, first with
horse power and later with steam, carrying on that
business for sixteen years. He has threshed as much
as 3,000 bushels of wheat in one day. He was very
successful in his work, and carried on farming in ad-
dition to his threshing. In 1896, after his return to
Berks county, he engaged in the hotel business at
Windsor Castle, for two years, and then for two years
conducted the "Half-Way House." In 1902 he pur-
chased the "Kempton House," of which he took pos-
session in November of that year, and he now has one
of the best and most popular stands in the county.
The hotel has twenty-two large rooms, with spacious
halls, and is well patronized.

On Feb. «8, 1888, Mr. Mengel married Andora S*
Stetzler, daughter of Jacob and Esther (Schappell)
Stetzler, of Perry township. Mr. and Mrs. Mengel are
members of Zion's Union Church, in Perry township,
belonging to the Lutheran corigreeation. They are
highly respected in the community.

MRS. WILLIAM L. CAMPBELL, residing in Read-
ing, was born in Douglassville, Pa., and on her mother's
side is descended from Scotch ancestry. Her parents
were George L. Leaf and Amelia Douglass, the former a
merchant of Pottstown.

The first Douglass to leave Scotland and settle in
Pennsylvania was George, great-grandfather to Mrs.
Campbell, who founded the town of Douglassville. His
son George was a farmer and merchant in the same
place and it was his daughter Amelia who became Mrs.
Leaf. She died aged eighty-three. The original Doug-
lass homestead at Douglassville has never passed out
of the family, interests being still held by Mrs. Camp-
bell. Through a marriage of Miss Mary May, a niece
of George Douglass (2), to George De B. Keim, Mrs.
Campbell is also connected with another old Pennsyl-
vania family.



She is a member of Christ Church and has always
been active in the various departments of church work.
She is also prominent in the ladies auxiliary of the
Reading Hospital, where she has served on the house-
keeping committee. The demands upon her time and
strength are, however, becoming a little too heavy, and
she is gradually retiring from many of her activities,
a necessity which is greatly to be regretted. R. T.
Leaf, brother of Mrs. W. L. Campbell, is the only' other
member of the family living.

HENRY HUBER, a resident of Reading since his
first coming to this country in 1869, was born in
Wurtemberg, Germany, in 1841.

Frederick Huber, father of Henry, lived and died in
Germany. He was a stone cutter by trade, and brought
up several of his sons tp the same occupation. He and
his wife had a large family of children, fifteen of them
reaching maturity, namely: Lizzie; Frederick, of New
Jersey; Augustus, of Paris, France; Henry; Mary, de-
ceased; Gustave, at the old home in Germany; Her-
mann, of Germany; Gottlieb, William and Charles, of
St. Louis, Mo., the latter now deceased; Fredericka,
at the old home; Minnie, of Leipsic, Saxony; John, of
Paris; Ernst, in the stone business at the old home;
and Theodore, an engineer in Germany. Three other
children died in infancy.

Henry Huber learned stone-cutting from his father,
and worked under him until he was twenty-eight years
old. He then decided to make a new start in a new
country,, and in 1869 he landed at New York. He
proceeded immediately to Philadelphia and secured
work there at his trade, but after only two weeks left
that city for Reading and has ever since made his
home there. He found employment readily and re-
mained for thirty-four years with his original em-
ployer. Christian Eben, and with the sons who suc-
ceeded him. Finally, iri 1903, after his long period of
faithful and efficient labor, Mr. Huber gave up his
place and left home to revisit the scenes of his youth.
He spent nearly four months abroad, and then, on re-
turning to America, went into business on his own
account, getting out stone for building purposes, mainly
sand stone. Mr. Huber is in partnership with Andrew
Honeker, and the firm is located on Locust street, be-
tween Elm and Buttonwood, where they do a large
business, and bid fair to become one of the leading
industrial concerns of the city.

Mr. Huber married Miss Pauline Grouper, and three
children have been born to them, as follows: Emma
who married Edward C. Haggerty, a sergeant of the
Reading pohce, appointed by Mayor Gerber; Harry
and Wilham. Politically Mr. Huber is a Democrat,'
and in religious matters a Lutheran, a member of the
Reading Church. During his long period of service
under another Mr. Huber fully demonstrated the many
sterhng quahties-of his character, and he well deserves
the success that is so abundantly rewarding his efforts
now that he is in business for himself.

DANIEL M. GRILL, a citizen of Reading, Pa who
is retired, resides in his home at No. 113 South Third
street in this city. Mr. Grill was born in Cumru town-
ship, Berks_ county. Pa July 14, 1842, a son of Adam
and Catherine M. Grill.

Of the Grill faniily, at least three generations having
been born in Berks county. Philip Grill, grandfather
of Daniel, married a Miss Lesher, ana they were early
settlers in Cumru township, where he became pos-
sessed of an excellent farm. Their children were-
John, deceased, formerly an extensive farmer in Ohio-
Samuel, deceased, also owned farming land in Ohio-
Adam, father of Daniel Grill; Joseph, who died aged
eighty-two years at Sinking Spring; Philip, deceased,
^ u"'/"^*?7"''"?.= Catherine, who m. Jacob Hart
and had children, Samuel, John, Jacob, Levi Louisa
Wnh'T' K^'^' P?"y' Sally and' Bessie; Leah', who m.'
Jacob Brossman; Mrs. Cubbison; and Bessie, who m



744



HISTORY OF BERKS COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



George Matz. In religious belief the family were mem-
bers of the Reformed Church. Politically Mr. Grill
was a Democrat.

Adam Grill, father of Daniel, followed agricultural
pursuits all of his life, dying in 1857, aged sixty-four
years, while his widow survived him until March 31,
1888, being eighty-eight years old at the tim^ of her
death. They were the parents of these children: Ben-
n'ewell died young, as did also David; Samuel, de-
ceased, m. Betsy Venida; Betsy m. Henry Venida; Cath-
erine m. Christian Cress; Polly m. Richard Hornber-
ger; Levi, who lives on the old homestead, m. Mary
Eshelman; Sarah m. Nicholas Moser; Adam m. Sarah
Dew.ees; Lydia m. James Leininger; Daniel; and Henry,
of Oakbrook, m. Mary Heister. Mr. and Mrs. Grill
and their family were also members of the Reformed
Church. Mr. Grill was a Democrat in politics, and
served faithfully for a number of years as supervisor
of his township.

Daniel Grill, although receiving a good German edu-
cation, was but poorly versed in English. He remained
at home until twenty-two years of age, when he pur-
chased a farm in Cumru township, and this he oper-
ated for thirty-two years, operating a dairy in con-
junction ' therewith. Mr. Grill s-old his interests in
1897 and retired to Mohnsville, but in 1903 located in
Reading, where he has since resided, his home being
located at No. 112 South Third street.

In 1864, Mr. Grill married Mary Matz, daughter of
William and Sarah (Straub) Matz, natives of Berks
county, and to this union were born four children:
Charles W., m. to Kate Lewis; Frank H., m. to Eliza-
beth Shonour, and they had two children, Helen (de-
ceased) and Marie; G. Harvey, m. to Alice Holdry and
they have two children, Daniel and Mabel; Clara, m.
to Edgar Glasser.

Both Mr. Grill and his wife are members of the Re-
formed Church, to which he has always given a very
liberal support. Politically he has been a life-long
Democrat, and since coming to Reading has served in
the office of tax collector, while during his residence
in Cumru township he was treasurer of that township
for a number of years. He is a man who is justly held
in high esteem by his fellow citizens.

DICK FAMILY. The city of Reading counts among its
most valued citizens descendants of German settlers who
came to Pennsylvania direct from the Fatherland, bring-
ing with them the solid virtues and thrifty habits which
characterize their nationality. The Dick family belongs
in this category and it can be traced to one Jacob Dick,
who came to America from Germany and is known to have
taken part in the Revolutionary war.

This Jacob Dick was the grandfather of the late Amos
L. Dick, at the time of his death a venerable retired
resident of Reading. After the close of the Revolutionary
struggle Jacob Dick settled in what was then the strag-
gling village of Reading, where he established himself in
business, doing chair-making, spinning wheel manufactur-
ing, and also working as a carpenter. The site of the
business was where the photograph gallery of Mr. Fritz
now stands. Jacob Dick died in 1834 ; his wife passed away
ten years before. They had two children : Susan, who
married a Mr. Boas, and died in Reading, and Jacob,
father of Amos L.

Jacob Dick (2) was born in the old Penn street home
at Reading in 1783, and when he reached maturity married
Susan Lutz. Their children were : Sarah Ruth, born in
1806, died Sept. 5, 1889, at Fritztown, aged eighty-three
years, six months, twenty-seven days; a son, born Oct. 12,
1808, died eleven days later : Susan, born Oct. 12, 1808,
died in 1828, aged nineteen years, seven months, twenty-
six days ; Margaret, born Aug. 18, 1810, died July 21, 1885,
aged seventy-four years, eleven months, three days, in
Oley township; Catherine Leinbach, born Feb. 15, 1812,
died Dec. 16, 1890, aged seventy-eight years, ten months,
one day, near Boyertown; Elizabeth Johnson, born Nov. 9,
1813, died July 5, 1876, aged sixty-two years, seven



months, twenty-six days, at Colebrookdale ; Nicholas, born
Nov. 28, 1815, died in October, 1873, aged fifty-seven years,
ten months, six days, in Cumru township; Jacob.j
born Nov. 24, 1817, died aged eight years, two months,
twenty-seven days; Amos L. was born Aug. 10, 1819;
Maria DeTurk, born Sept. 10, 1821, died March 7, 1884,
aged sixty-two years, five months, twenty-seven days, in
Exeter township; Sophia, born in 1823, married James
Smeck, and died May 6, 1870, aged' forty-six years, seven
months, twenty-eight days, at Reading; Jacob L., born
Nov. 14, 1824, died Feb. 6, 1904, aged seventy-nine years,
two months, twenty-two days, in Indiana; Solomon, bo"rn
April 1, 1830, died Oct. 9, 1872, aged forty-two years, six
months, eight days, in Indiana.

After their marriage the parents of Amos L. Dick settled
in Cumru township, along the Schuylkill river, and the
father followed farming from 1806 continuously until
1858, when he retired, dying Dec. 11, 1859. He owned
a farm of 135 acres. His wife died March 13, 1870, aged
eighty-three years, two months, twenty-one days. They
both were interred in the Charles Evans cemetery.

Amos L. Dick attended the subscription schools in the
neighborhood of his home, which were the only available
schools during his boyhood, and by the time he was
seventeen years of age was a well-informed youth. His
practical education had been in no way neglected, either,
farm work claiming a large part of his time and atten-
tion. In assisting his father he learned how to manage
for himself, and in 1848 he married and settled on a
farm of 100 acres, which he purchased, in Robeson town-
ship. Mr. Dick remained on this farm for twenty years,
in 1868 removing 'to Reading.

After coming to the city Mr. Dick followed contracting
and building for some years, and was very successful. At
length increasing years impelled him to retire entirely
from business activity. He could recall the time when
Reading's population did not exceed 4,000, long before it
became the home of so many immense industries and
the dwelling place of some of the most intelligent and
cultured people of the great State of Pennsylvania. He
occupied a very comfortable home at No. 29 North Ninth
street, and was probably one of the most venerable, as
he was one of the most esteemed, residents of his city.
He died May 12, 1907.

In 1848 Mr. Dick married Amelia Dunkle, born Dec. 18,
1828, daughter of Solomon ■ and Elizabeth (Althouse)
Dunkle. The Dunkle family is a very old one in Berks
county, having been established here by Jacob Dunkle, the
great-grandfather of Mrs. Dick. Her grandparents were
George and Charlotte (Engle) Dunkle. Mr. and Mrs.
Dick had one daughter, Emma, who married John DeLong,
wholesale leather merchant of Philadelphia. Mr. and Mrs.
DeLong have had three children, viz. : Flora, Howard and
Oscar, the latter deceased. Mrs. Dick was one of a large
family, her brothers and sisters being: Mary Ann,
Caroline, Morgan, Sarah A., Elizabeth C, Albert, Killian
G., David G., and James.

iMr. Dick was a life-long Democrat. He was the old-
est member of the First Reformed Church at Reading,
which he joined in 1839, his wife joining in 1846.



Nicholas Dick, son of Jacob (2), was born Nov. 28,
1815, and died Oct. 4, 1873. He married Esther DeTurk,
who still survives, being now one of the oldest residents
of Reading. Her home is at No. 140 South Ninth street.
Mr. Dick was a life-long Democrat, and a worthy mem-
ber of the Reformed Church. His father built the res-
idence which still stands on the old Dick homestead, in
Cumru township, in 1811. The barn he built in 1809 and
the smoke-house in 1810. They were so substantially
constructed that they have defied the attacks of time up
to the present. Nicholas Dick's children were: Marcus
D. (of Seyfert Station, Berks county). William, Eli D.,
Albert, Henry, Susan (wife of A. F. Wenzel, of Baums-
town), Annie and Lizzie D.

Henry Dick, son of Nicholas, was born in Cumru
township, Berks county, April 24, 1845. He was educated





^,o(^^Ot-/C



BIOGRAPHICAL



745



in the district schools and at Brunner's Business College,
and then engaged in farming, continuing thus until 1885,
when he retired. In 1874 he became interested in the
Farmers' Market-House Company, having a half interest,
which he retained until the time of his death. May 21,
1901. Mr. Dick was a man of sterling integrity and was
at -various times elected by his townsmen to hold office,
serving as a member of the common council, from the
Third ward, in 1888-89, and declining a renomination.

Mr.- Dick married Mary A. Kissinger, daughter of
Washington S. and Elizabeth (Yost) Kissinger, and she
lives at No. 106 South Ninth street, Reading. They
had children as follows : Charles, Franklin and Henry
(who is attending Princeton University, as a member
of the class of 1909). '

Chaeles K. Dick, senior member of the firm of Dick
Brothers, brass founders and pattern-makers, of Read-
ing, was born March 31, . 1875. He attended the district
schools and the Reading high school, and subsequently
took a course at Stoner's Business College, Reading, after
which he served an apprenticeship to the trade of pattern-
maker, at the National Brass & Iron Works. After a
few years of work as a journeyman for the same firm he
engaged in business on his own account, in 1897 organ-
ing the well-known Excelsior Brass Works, of which
firm he served as secretary and treasurer until 1901.
On March 1, 1903, Mr. Dick engaged in business with his
brother Franklin K., at No,. 130 Penn street, the firm
being known as Dick Brothers. Twenty skilled mechanics
are employed in the works, the local trade is large and
steady, and extends through many States, and the firm
is enjoying increasing prosperity.

Mr. Dick married Eva M. Baldwin, daughter of Frank-
lin D. and Amanda D. (Rudolph) Baldwin, of Lancaster
county, and one child, Martha Elizabeth, has been born
to this union. Mr. Dick is a member of the Masonic
fraternity, being connected with Chandler Lodge, No. 227,
F. & A. M., Excelsior R. A. Chapter, No. 237, Reading
Commandery, No. 42, K. T., Reading Lodge of Perfec-
tion; Caldwell Consistory, thirty-second degree, of
Bloomsburg, Pa., and Rajah Temple, A. A. O. N. M. S.
Since 1901 Mr. Dick has been superintendent of the well-
known Farmers' Market-House, Inc., being also treasurer
and a director of said corporation.

Franklin K. Dick, junior member of the firm of
Dick Brothers, was born in Cum'ru to^wnship, Berks
county, June 26, 1878. He spent his early school days
in his native township, later attending the public schools
of Reading, after leaving which he served fifteen months
at the trade of. locksmith. He later learned the pattern-
making trade, as well as engraving and chasing, and
remained with the Reading Hardware Company, his first
employers, for about six and one-half years. (3n March
1, 1903, with his brother, Charles K., Mr. Dick engaged
in business at No. 120 Penn street, under the firm name
of Dick Brothers.

On the organization of the firm it was the intention
of the brothers to manufacture nothing except brass cast-
ings, but since that time .they have added to the list of
their products, which now include plumbers' supplies and
a fine line of plumbers' specialties. The works were first
furnished power by a five-horse-power engine, but they
now have a seventy-five horse-power engine and
120 horse-power boiler. The works are equipped with
the latest and best machinery, and employ nothing but
skilled mechanics.

Mr. Dick married Miss Margaret Schick, daughter of
Christian and Mary Schick, of Reading, and two children,
Miriam and Carroll S., have been born to this union.
Mr. Dick is a member of the First Reformed Church,
and is assistant librarian of the Sunday-school. He is
a member of the Royal Arcanum, pf Chandler Lodge,
No. 227, F. & A. M., and of the_ P._ O. S. of A., and
is very popular in all of these organizations. His residence
is at No. 33 North Ninth street.

Eli D. Dick, a well-known business citizen of Reading,
who is associated with the Bard Hardware Company, of



that city, was born in Cumru township, Berks county,
July 13, 1853, a son of Nicholas Dick and a grandson of
Jacob Dick (2), and a nephew of the late Amos L. Dick
of Reading.

Mr. Dick attended the public schools of his native
township, and one term at Myerstown, Lebanon county,
and assisted his father at farming until 1882, in the
fall of which year he came to Reading, and accepted a
position with the firm with which he is still connected.

Mr. Dick ' married Miss Catharine DeHart, and they
reside at No. 1120 Franklin street. , They are the parents
of three children: George W., who is attending school;
Esther L., deceased ; and Mary A. He and his wife are
rnembers of the Reformed denomination.

OLIVER MOHR LANDIS, an enterprising business
man of No. 427-431 North Sixth street, Reading, Pa.,
engaged in doing mantel, fire-place, grate, tile and
mosaic work, is a native of Berks county, born in i868,
in Washington township, son of George O. and Mary
(Mohr) Landis.

Mr. Landis attended the district schools and West
Chester Normal school, and then returned to Berks
county, teaching one term in Hereford township. Mr.
Landis then went to Pottstown and learned the car-
penter's trade, which he followed there for three years,
and one year in Philadelphia, with some success. He
next went to Seattle, Wash., being there one year after
the great fire in 'that city. He also engaged in the
box manufacturing business at Portland, _Qlp., and in
1889 returned to Pennsylvania. In 1892 ~Hr. Landis
located in Reading and engaged in business linder the
firm name of O. M. Landis & Co., at No. 932 Penn
street, one year later locating at No. 933 Penn street,
and the following year at No. 15 North Sixth street.
He then entered into partnership with H. C. Geisler,
Sr., and for six years they carried on business under
the name of the American Tile & Mantel Company, at
No. 727 Penn street, and later at No. 230 Penn street. •
In the spring of 1906 Mr. Landis opened his' present
business at Nos. 427-435 North Sixth street, at the
well known old Esterly Marble stand, and here he has
continued successfully up to the present time.

Mr. Landis married Clara Stoudt, and they reside
at No. 332 Windsor street, Reading. They have six
children: Russel H., Mary D., Ruth, Grace C, Oliver
and Harrison. In political matters Mr. Landis is a i
Republican. He and his wife attend the First Re- \
formed Church.

AARON S. WAGNER, one of the prosperous busi-
ness men of Shoemakersville, Berks Co., Pa., -was
born April 26, 1868, in Penn township, son of Harrison
L. and Mary (Speicher) Wagner^

John Wagner, great-grandfather of Aaron S., was
born Nov. 20, 1764, and settled on a large farm in
Jefferson township, which is now owned by Isaac Wen-
rich. He was married three times, the names, of his
wives being Miller, Leymaster and Conrad. He died
July 11, 1841. We have no record of the children by
his first wife, but those of the second marriage were
Philip, Jacob, Isaac, John and Daniel, and by the third
marriage one child was born, Mary, who became the
wife of John Henne. Mrs. Henne survived her hus-
band a number of years; she died, in 1908, at her late,
residence, Bernville, Pennsylvania.

Daniel Wagner, grandfather of Aaron S., was born
in Tulpehocken (now a- part of Jefferson) township,
and died in 1880, being buried at the Bernville Church.
He was a well-known and influential citizen, was a
prominent Democrat, and was active in the affairs of
the church. Mr. Wagner married Eva Lengel. who was ■
born in 1813, and died in 1906, daughter of Israel Len-
gel, and to them there were born eleven children: Levi
Elizabeth, Harrison, Amelia, Calvin. Mary, Emma,
John, Jane, James and Frank, who died at the age of
twelve years.

Harrison L. Wagner was born in Jefferson township,
July 1, 1836, and died on his farm in Penn .township,'



746 HISTORY OF BERKS COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA

Nov. 13, 1894. He was a leading Democrat, and served ters and other good books were burned at Gottfried

his township in various offices. He and his family were Fidler's house near Womelsdorf, in the presence of

members of the Reformed Church at Bernville. Mr. a number of the followers, among them being the

Wagner married Mary Speicher, and they had two great and good leader, Conrad Weiser. Gottfried

children, Aaron S. and Alvin S. Fidler had a large family, and among his sons were:

Aaron S. Wagner received his education in the dis- Henry, Stephen, Andrew, Adam and John,

trict schools and was reared to agricultural pursuits. Henry Fidler, born Feb. 14, 1723, died May 2, 1777.

When a young man he learned the milling trade, which He and his wife Mary Magdalene had four sons and

he followed for five years, and he then became a five daughters.

stationary engineer, following this profession until 1897, Henry Fidler (2), born March 21, 1752, died June
when he formed a partnership with Soloman S. Miller, 6, 1831. He married Eve Lehnig, and their nlarried
and under the firm name of Wagner & Miller 'manu- life covered a period of twenty-nine years. They



Online LibraryMorton L. (Morton Luther) MontgomeryHistorical and biographical annals of Berks County, Pennsylvania, embracing a concise history of the county and a genealogical and biographical record of representative families, comp. by Morton L. Montgomery .. → online text (page 214 of 227)