Morton L. (Morton Luther) Montgomery.

Historical and biographical annals of Berks County, Pennsylvania, embracing a concise history of the county and a genealogical and biographical record of representative families, comp. by Morton L. Montgomery .. online

. (page 215 of 227)
Online LibraryMorton L. (Morton Luther) MontgomeryHistorical and biographical annals of Berks County, Pennsylvania, embracing a concise history of the county and a genealogical and biographical record of representative families, comp. by Morton L. Montgomery .. → online text (page 215 of 227)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


factured hosiery at Reading until 1900, at which time were the parents of three sons and eight daughters,
Mr. Wagner formed a partnershio with ' Jeremiah W as recorded at St. Daniel's Church: Maria Catharine,
Heckman, of Shoemakersville. There they engaged born April 23, 1776 (sponsors, Conrad Spatz and Ma-
in business until 1907, when Mr. Heckman purchased ria Catharine Fiedler); John, born Oct. 31, 1778 (spon-
Mr. Wagner's interest. Mr. Wagner is a Democrat in sors, John Fiedler and Elizabeth Fischer); Henry (3),
politics, and socially he is connected with the Odd born Dec. 16, 1779; Eva Barbara, born April 16, 1782;
Fellows, the Shepherds of Bethlehem No. 60, of Cen- Elizabeth, born Dec. 34, 1784 (sponsors, John Adam
treport, and the Modern Woodmen. He and his family Fidler and wife); Magdalena, born May 31, 1787; Ma-
attend the Reformed Church of Shoemakersville. ria Christina, born Dec. 16, 1789; Eva Catharine,

On June 9, 1889, Mr. Wagner was married to Kate born March 24, 1792; Maria Margaret, born Feb. 3,

Marburger, daughter of William H. and Esther (Reed) 1794; Abraham, born July 5, 1796; and Sarah, born

Marburger, and four children have been born to this Aug. 15, 1800.

union: Annie R., Mary J., William H. and Marguerite I. Henry Fidler (3), born Dec. 16,_ 1779, died Sept. 24,

1860. He married Catharine Leininger, with wh(3m

BENJAMIN F. SHEEDER, a prominent business he lived forty-four years. They had three sons and
man of Reading, Pa., who is conducting the Sheeder four daughters: Elizabeth, born March 19, 1802; Dan-
Planing Mill, located at the corner of Spruce and Miff- iel. born May 31, 1804, died Jan. 19, 1857, m. in 1831,
lin streets, was born in Montgomery county. Pa., in Elizabeth Miller, by whom he had four daughters;
1851, son of Philip Sheeder (born April 15, 1808), a Polly; Sarah; Eliza; Henry (4), born in 1812; and Elias,
blacksmith by trade, who was engaged as an iron born July 1, 1814, died April 15, 1879. Of these child-
worker, ren, Elias, born 1814, was for thirty years a general

Mr. Sheeder secured his education in the common merchant at Womelsdorf, and then until his death
schools of Reading, and while still a boy apprenticed was engaged in the grain business. He was very
himself to the carpenter's trade, working for John active in the New Lutheran Church, and held a num-
Fink & Co., where the Goetz tannery is now located, ber of offices therein. He married Eliza Schulze, born
He continued in the employ of this company for Oct. 5, 1818, died May 1. 1901, and they had children:
twenty-five years, and then engaged in outside con- Mary; Julia C, wife of George C. Valentine, of Wom-
tracting until 1901, when he organized the Sheeder elsdorf; Henry S.; Frederick (1854-1899), who had
Planing Mill Company, with the following well-known children, Arthur Penn, Julia, Herbert S. and Alfred,
business men: Dr. Walter A. Rigg,'and Samuel B. Henry Fidler (4), father of William, was born near
Rigg. This company does all kinds of contract mill Charming Forge, in 1812, and died in the borough
work, stair work, etc. The factory and grounds cover of Womelsdorf in 1873. He was a hosiery manufac-
an area of 110 x 480 feet, the building being equipped turer until about forty years of age, at which time he
with the latest machinery, doing an extensive amount moved to the farm on which his son William now lives,
of work in Reading and the surroundinp- country, as and ther? he lived until 1865. He then spent two
well as in the States of Delaware and New Jersey, years in Womelsdorf, after which he located on a
They furnished all of the building material for the Co- farm in that. borough, there passing the remainder of
lonial Trust Building, the Boy's new high school, the his life. He and his family were members of Reed's
Masonic Temple, and many others of Reading's sub- Church, where he was buried. Mr. Fidler married
stantial buildings. The company employ from twenty- Hannah Scholl, daughter of Peter and Margaret (Reed)
five to thirty hands, and are kept busy the year around. Scholl, who had children: Peter, George, Isaac, Sal-
Mr. Sheeder is a member ot the Liberty Fire Company, lie (m. Jacob Zerbe), Catharine (died unmarried).
In political matters he is independent. Mattie (m. a Gerhart) and Hannah (m. Mr, Fidler).

Mr. Sheeder was married in 1874 to Miss Mary Ag- Mrs. Fidler's grandfather was Simon Scholl, of Mill-

nes Seiders, and to this union there were born two bach, Lebanon county, and his father was the ances-

children: Howard F. and Peter N., both of whom tor of the American line of Scholls. After her hus-

are engaged in work at the planing mill. band's death Mrs. Fidler continued on the farm until

1884, when she moved to Womelsdorf, and there lived

WILLIAM FIDLER, who is carrying on agricul- until 1893, when she moved to the present farm of

tural operations in Marion township, Berks Co., Pa., her son William, where she died in 1900. To Henry

along the Berks and Dauphin turnpike, was born in Fidler and his wife were born the following children:

that township, Feb, 18, 1856, son of Henry and Han- Richard, Kate, Harry, Eliza, Frank, Louisa, William,

nah (Scholl) Fidler. Amelia, George and Wayne. None of the daughters

There was a Gottfried Fidler, over twenty-one years were ever married,
of age, among the emigrants that came to New York William Fidler was reared to agricultural pursuits
State in 1710, passing the winter of 1710 and Summer and he became the owner of his present farm in 1900,
of 1711 in Livingston Manor, N. Y., then settling in after his mother's death. He had conducted the farm
Schoharie, N. Y., in 1713, and in 1723 coming to Tul- for her from 1893 to 19O0. This tract, which is located
pehocken, Berks (then Lancaster) county. on the pike one mile northwest of Womelsdorf, con-
Gottfried Fidler (or Fiedler) was an early settler sists of thirty-two acres, and is in the best of con-
in Tulpehocken ,and is buried at St. Daniel's Church, tion, and is supplied with good water. He at present
He was a co-worker with Conrad Weiser, Peter Klopn devotes all his time to its cultivation. With his
Hans Miller and others in the Tulpehocken Valley, family he attends Reed's Lutheran Church. He is
and was one of the Palatinates from the Schoharie a stanch Republican in politics, and has held several
who joined the Seventh-day Adventists in Lancaster local offices.

before 1750. It is a matter of history that during Mr. Fidler was married to Lizzie F. Cherington,

the early period of their conversion, the old Psal- daughter of Thomas D. and Kate (Scholl) Cherington,



BIOGRAPHICAL .



747



of Millbach, Lebanon county, and thev have children as twenty-two days. Mr. Werner had never had a day s

follows: Harry W., Elsie M. and Thomas C. sickness until the one which proved fatal, although

he had served through the Civil war, in which he

LOUIS POHLIG, a well-known resident of Reading, gained an honorable record as a brave and faithful

who is engaged in the Deppen Brewing Company of soldier He was a prominent member of the Masonic

this city, as brewmaster, is a native of Germany, born fraternity After the war Mr. Werner went to Schuyl-

m Saxony. July 4, 1865, both of his parents dymg m j^ji, county, and after building many of the coal break-

1} '^°"S ui'- • J t,- J ;-• • <.t. 1 ers around Pottsville, Tamaqua. Tremont, Ma-
Mr. Pohlig received his education m the place , ° ^.i^ujiu i ui.i.= v; '^. » i . <

of his nativity, and came to America in 1885, settling hanoy City, Shamokm and Pine Grove, etc., located

in Reading. He attended a school of instruction on •" Reading in 1855, following house building up to

brewing in ISlew York City, then going to Reading, 1879, when he retired. He was a stanch Democrat,

where he was second brewmaster for three years, 'but was never an office seeker. Mr. Werner was a

Returning to Reading Nov. 1, 1901, he engaged as trustee of the Lutheran Church, and a valued member

brewmaster with the Deppen Brewing Company, and thereof, giving liberally to its support. His widow,

has continued to act in that position to the present who survives him, resides in Reading, at the age of

time, brewing porter, lager beer, etc. In religious eighty-two years, the mother of these children: Amelia,

belief Mr. Pohlig is a German Lutheran. He is a m. to Levi M Zerbe, superintendent at the Philadel-

member of the Turnverein, president of the German ^ia & Reading Car Shops; Ellen, m. to Francis

Beneficial Association No. aST, a member of the Get- Ganter, a farmer of near Carsonia Park; Ida, m. to



man Central American Society, and of the Ameritan
and Philadelphia Brewmasters Association. In his po-
litical faith Mr. Pohlig is a Democrat.

Mr. Pohlig was married to Marie Bohlman, a na-
tive of Germany, and to them there have been born two
children, — Elsie and Marguerite.

ISAAC SMITH, who died at Albany, Pa., was a
native of Albany township, Berks county, born in
1806. He learned the "stone-mason's trade early in
life, and that was his occupation throughout his ac-
tive life; also owning and operating a small piece
of land. Mr. Smith married Rachel Correll. a native
of Albany township, Berks county, and to this union
there were born eleven children, as follows: Chris-
tian and Charles, both deceased; Mary, m. to Eman-
uel Sassaman; James; Jonathan; Abraham; Isaac; Julia,
who resides at Drehersville, m. to Reuben Pauley, the
latter now deceased; William, who also resides at



John S. Peifer, highway commis'sioner of Reading;
May, who died in 1862, aged twelve years; and Wil-
liam W.

William W. Werner was educated in the Reading com-
mon schools and the Keystone State Normal School
at Kutztown, after leaving which he learned the car-
penter's trade with his father. Upon completing the
prescribed time as journeyman he established himself
in the ■ contracting and building business, employing
at one time as many as thirty-five to forty skilled me-
chanics. Mr. Werner always aimed to give his pa-
trons the best of satisfaction, payinsr the best of wages
and hiring the most skilled workmen long before
the Union was established in this part of the State.
He has always been a friend of the workingman, and
has given much of his time to advancing their inter-
ests. He takes a great pride in demonstrating to those
less skilled in his craft that nothing stands so much
Drehersville, Schuylkill county; Emma E.; and a daugh- '" the way of their ultimate success as the want of
ter Susin, who died in inffilcy. In rdigious belief education, and he is con.s antly advocatmg the use
the family were Lutherans. Mr. Smith was a Democrat °{ standard books which will^mcrease their^ abihty and
in his political belief, but never cared for public office.



widen their opportunities. In order to further this
Emma E. Smith, daughter of Isaac, was" married To laudable work, he has provided a complete set



Sylvester Kemp (now deceased) and to them was born
one son, W. Wilson, who was educated in the schools
of Reading, and is now employed at the J. H. Stern-
bergh mills, where he has a responsible position. Sil-
vester Kemp was a son of William Kemp, a native of
Kutztown, who located at what is now Kempton,
after the building of the Schuylkill & Lehigh Rail-
road.

John Schmidt, grandfather of Mrs, Emma E. Kemp,
was born in Albany, where he was engaged as a farm-
er. He was the father of Isaac; Samuel; Sally (m.
Christian Lutz); and Susanna (m. a Greenawalt).

WILLIAM W. WERNER, business agent for Car-
penter's Union, No. 492. of Reading, Pa., was born in
Garfield. Tilden township. Berks county. April 16,
1851, son of Frederick H. and Lovina (Moser) Wer-
ner

Jacob S. Werner, grandfather of William W., was
one of Berks county's old carpenters, and he followed
that occupation until his death, at the remarkable age

'- - '-■ - sub-



of many standard works on general subjects which
are open to the use of the members in the Union
rooms. This indicates the manner of man that Mr.
Werner is, and explains, partly, the fact that since he
has become business manager of No. 492 the working
conditions of it have been greatly improved. On every
side can be heard words of commendation which are
deserved.

Mr. Werner was greatly instrumental in organizing
the Union in Reading and has been a most zealous
worker, serving as president for one term and in his
present capacity since 1902. He is connected with
Chandler Lodge, No. 227; Excelsior Chapter, R. A. M.;
Reading Commandery, K. T.; Rajah Temple, A. A. O.
N. M. S.; Neversink Castle, K. G. E.; has organized
three camps of the P. O. S. of A. in Reading, belong-
ing to No. 678 of that Order; is a charter member of
the Knights of Friendship, and a member of the Sons
of Veterans, No. 16.' When but twelve years and
nine months old, Mr.. Werner enlisted in the 93rd.
Pa. V. I., and served for fifteen months. He has been
active in the ranks of the Democratic party, and served



of ninety-seven years, two days, erecting many ___ r ^. ,. - •. , . ,-

stantial buildings in this section, some of which are as City assessor for three years, his majority, which

still standing among them being a number of churches was 1599, being the largest in the history of Reading,

in the rural districts of the county. Mr. Werner also He also served as tax collector for twenty-three years,

worked upon the Farmers' National Bank, Fifth and Mr. Werner was married in 1868. to Miss Angelina

Penn streets Reading He married Mary Seabold, Etter, born in Lancaster county, daughter of Alexan-

of Montgomery county. Pa., and to them were born der Etter. No children have been born to this union.
f^tir rViilflrpn- Frederick. Jacob. Henry and Charlotte.

irreligious belief the family were Lutherans. Politi- WILLIAM S. ANDERSON, who conducts a thriving

cally Mr Werner was a Democrat. business at No. 823 Penn street. Reading, dealing in

Frederick H Werner was born in Heidelberg to-*n- hats, shoes and men's furnishing goods, is a native

ship Berks county, and with his father learned the of Pennsylvania, born Sept. 22, 1860, in Lebanon, Leb-

carpenter's trade, which he followed all his life, dying anon county, son of William S. Anderson, Sr., a na-

Oct 7 1905, aged eighty-two years, nine months and tive of Connecticut.



748



HISTORY OF BERKS COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



William S. Anderson, Sr., went to Philadelphia, Pa.,
in early life, and thence to Lebanon, Pa., where he en-
gaged in the manufacture of cigars during the time
of the Civil war. He was very successful in this line,
but later engaged in the tanning business with a Mr.
Greenwalt, under the firm name of Greenwalt & An-
derson, they being the pioneers of the special process
of tanning hides, in this State, the process being later
adopted by all leading tanners. Mr. Anderson con-
tinued in this business until his death, five years' later,
at the age of forty-five years. He married Margaret
Eaches, who survives him and makes her home with
her son, William S. Mr. and Mrs. Anderson had two'
children: Nellie G., the wife of Albert D. Deem, of
the firm of Close & Deem, Reading, Pa.; and William S.

William S. Anderson, Jr., came to Reading in 1870,
and was here educated. His first employment was with
Philip Albright, a pioneer local express man located
at Fourth and Penn streets, with whom he remained
three years. The next two years were spent with the
Reading Hardware Company, in the lock department,
after which he went to learn the hatters' business
with William H. Rennoll & Co., at the corner of Tenth
and Spruce streets. After learning his trade, Mr. An-
derson engaged with R. H. Savage & Co., at Thirteenth and
Muhlenberg streets, for thirteen years, at the end of which
time he was employed by Bell & Cadwell of New York,
for whom he traveled two years. Returning to Read-
ing Mr. Anderson embarked in business with John F.
Doremus, at No. 823 Penn street, engaging in the sale
of men's furnishing goods, shoes and hats, under the
firm name of Doremus & Anderson from Sept. 35,
1895, until Jan. 1, 1904, when Mr. Anderson purchased
the interest of his partner, and since this time has
continued in business on his own account, carrying a
full line of hats, shoes and men's furnishing goods of
all kinds. His straightforward way of doing business
and the fine quality of the goods which he offers for
sale have won him the confidence and patronage of
the people of Reading to a large degree, and he is en-
joying an ever-increasing trade.

Mr. Anderson married, in 1895, Mrs. Annie Barrett
Glasser, and they reside at No. 914 Franklin street,
Reading. Mrs. Anderson was the mother of two child-
ren by her former marriage, Ella F., the wife of Rev.
H. Rupp; and Jean M. In religion he is a member
of Grace Lutheran Church, and he has served as deacon
and elder.

REV. WILLIAM WILBERFORCE DEATRICK, A. M.,
Sc. D. In the quiet country graveyard attached to
the "Bender's Church" in Butler township, Adams Co., Pa.,
is a gray slate tombstone bearing the following inscription,
in German text:

Hier ruht

Der Leib

Von : lohan : nictlas : dietrich

Wahr : geboren : in : deudschlant

ten

Den : 15 : May : Im : lahr
Unserres : Herren : 1727

ten

Und : ist : Gestorben : Den : 23
October : Im : lahr : Unserres

Herren 1813 Und hatsein

Altergebracht Auf 86 iahr

5 monat Und 8 TaG=

A little space from the footstone of this grave is another

headstone, also of gray slate, on which is this inscription

in italic and gothic lettering :

Hier RUht

ANNA MARGYRETHA DIEDRICH

NICHOLAVS DIDRICHS :EHEFrAV

GebOhreN : DeN : XV : NOVeM=

ber ; 1724 : VerheurAthetteN

: I : October : 1753 LebteiMeHe

stANT IV lAhr Sle StArbTeN XIX

TAG lULy :1797 : ALT LXXH

IAHR : IV MONATh



It will be noted that the arithmetic of the stone-cutter
is at fault — married in 1753 and dying in 1797, she could
have been married fifty-five years, but born Nov. 15, 1734,
and dying July 19, 1797, her age could not have been
seventy-two years, four months. Of interest in this con-
nection are two entries contained in the old records of a '
church in Earl township, Lancaster Co., Pa. (discovered
and transcribed by Luther R. Kelker, State Custodian of
Public Records, of Harrisburg). They were made by
Rev. John Waldschmidt, a pioneer Reformed minister, who
served widely separated congregations in eastern Penn-
sylvania. These records are as follows :

"Baptisms: Dietrich. Johann Balser, son of Johann Nich-
olaus, and Anna Margaretha his wife, born Dec. 33, 1754,
baptized Jan. 26, 1755, Balser Bosshaar and wife Anna
Maria sponsors."

"Marriages: Nicholaus Dietrich, son of deceased Johann
Jacob Dietrich, married 31st October, 1753, Anna Marga-
retha, daughter of Johann Gerhart Shafer."

Unless the Waldschmidt records refer to other Dietrichs,
which seems improbable, it is likely that his "Oct. 31" is
more accurate than the "Oct. 1" on the inconsistent tomb-
stone. Whether the Johann Jacob Dietrich in the Wald-
schmidt record emigrated from Germany to this country or
died in the Fatherland' is uncertain. A certain Jacob Diete-
rich, aged forty, is recorded in the Pennsylvania Archives
as having landed at Philadelphia from the ship "Charming
Nancy," Nov. 9, 1738. A Hannus Diedrich came on the
ship "Thistle," Sept. 19, 1738, and Johannes Diterichs and
(■probably his wife) Ann Dederick arrived on the ship
"Samuel," Aug. 17, 1731. Whether either of these was
the father of John Nicholas is uncertain. There is no
record of a John, Jacob Dietrich as an immigrant after
1731. As to the date of arrival of John Nicholas Dietrich
we have, at present writing, no certain information. The
Archives show, however, that on Oct. 7, 1749, one Nicholas
Dietrich landed from the ship "Leslie," Captain J. Ballen-
dine, from Rotterdam. On this ship came 131 immigrants,
among them Frederick Bender, Johan Rudolph Miiller,
Johan Wilhelm Arendt, Georg Miiller and Peter Miller.
These being names of early settlers in Adams county
(then York), it may be reasonably inferred that the Nich-
olas Dietrich arriving at that time was the "Johan Nictlas
dietrich" of Bender's churchyard, whose stone declares that
he_"wahr geboren in deudschlant." The "Pennsylvania Ar-
chives" also give a "Niclas Deederich" as arriving on the
ship "Mary Galley," qualifying on Sept. 7, 1748. His name
IS first on the list and was spelled on the original list
"Derrick."

To John Nicholas Dietrich and his wife Anna Marger-
etha were_ born (in addition to the Johann Balser of
Waldschmidt's record, of whom we have no further
knowledge), according. to tombstones in the same church-
yard: Nicholas Dietrich, whose wife Mary Ann "Dea-
trick" lies buried by his side; Margret Tietrich; William
Dietnck; Michael Dietrich; and Martin Dietrich.

Nicholas Dietrich and his wife Mary Ann died childless,
but tradition has it that they acted as father and mother
to the children of others, bringing up in their home, as
some say, no less than seventeen children of other families,
Margaret and William never married. On the tombstone
of William is this line: "A Patriot of the Revolution."
As he was only twenty-one years of age at the close of
that war he must have been a youthful soldier. He fell
asleep on his country's birthday, July 4, 1848, at the ripe
age of eighty-six years.

Michael Dietrich married Sophia, daughter of Rudolph
Spangler (or Spengler), who resided near Heidlersburg and
later near Abbottstown, Adams county. To this couple
were born nine children: Nicholas, Jacob, Rudolph, Mich-
ael, Christiana (m. Jesse Smith), Mary (m, George Key-
ser), Sarah (m. Daniel Fidler) and Margaret and Cathe-
rine, the last two of whom died unmarried

Nicholas Dietrich, eldest son of Michael, married
March 31, 1822, Margaret, daughter of Nicholas and Re-
becca (Bushey) Miller, Nicholas was a hard-working
industrious farmer, owning an estate in Tyrone township'
known as "Cranberry," from the wild cranberries growing



BIOGRAPHICAL



749



in a marsh near the farm house. Their seven children
were: William Miller, Michael, John Bushey, Anna Eliza-
beth (m. Adam Bream), Jacob Spangler, Abraham, and
Howard Nicholas. Of these John B., who died unmarried,
was a soldier in the Civil war.

The eldest son, William Miller Deatrick, was born Jan.
23, 1833. At an early age he was impressed with a desire'
to become a minister of the Gospel. The way to this
calling did not seem open, and so for some time he worked
at the trade of milling. At last he gathered funds to
go to college, and in 1848 he graduated from Marshall
College at Mercersburg, Pa. He continued his studies in
the Theological Seminary of the (German) Reformed
Church, at the same place, graduating from that institution
in 1851, and was licensed to be a minister of the Reformed
Church. He was ordained in 1852, and his first charge
was at Huntingdon, Pa. During his time of preparation
for the ministry, he taught school at Norristown, MifHin-
burg, and Milton, Pa., also at Manchester, Md. In 1856
he removed to Pattonsville (now Loysburg), Pa., where he
served the "Yellow Creek Charge," a laborious field. In
1862 he removed to Friends Cove, Pa. This charge was
also a laborious one, the minister being obliged to ride on
horse-back across a high mountain, over a bridle-path
(there was no driving road) to serve several of the more
distant congregations of his extended parish. He was,
indeed, a pioneer abundant in labors. In 1875 he gave
up the active work of the ministry to become the Finan-
cial Secretary of Mercersburg College, an institution in
which he was deeply interested. To attend to the duties
of his new office he removed with his family to Mercers-
burg, Pa. Later he became President of the Board of
Regents of Mercersburg College, and to the service of that
institution he gave unstintedly of his time and money, the
latter hard earned and saved with incredible economy.
During the dark days of that institution which now, as
Mercersburg Academy, enjoys a high degree of prosperity
and ranks, under Dr. William Mann Irvine, as one of the
foremost schools for boys in America, Dr. W. M. Deatrick
bore for some years the brunt of the financial burden,
really saving the school from bankruptcy and extinction,
and preserving it for the church he loved so well. For
forty-four years he was Stated Clerk for Mercersburg-
Classis, and for thirty years its treasurer. He was also
Stated Clerk of the Potomac Synod for twenty-eight
years, and treasurer of the Board of Education of the
Synod for twenty-five years until his ■ death, which oc-



Online LibraryMorton L. (Morton Luther) MontgomeryHistorical and biographical annals of Berks County, Pennsylvania, embracing a concise history of the county and a genealogical and biographical record of representative families, comp. by Morton L. Montgomery .. → online text (page 215 of 227)