Morton L. (Morton Luther) Montgomery.

Historical and biographical annals of Berks County, Pennsylvania, embracing a concise history of the county and a genealogical and biographical record of representative families, comp. by Morton L. Montgomery .. online

. (page 223 of 227)
Online LibraryMorton L. (Morton Luther) MontgomeryHistorical and biographical annals of Berks County, Pennsylvania, embracing a concise history of the county and a genealogical and biographical record of representative families, comp. by Morton L. Montgomery .. → online text (page 223 of 227)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


political matters Mr. Dunkle was a Democrat.

James Dunkle was born in Ontelaunee township, Berks
county, where he acquired his education, and after leav-
ing school he engaged in working on his father's farm
until he took charge of the hotel, which he conducted
until his death, in 1860, when he was aged sixty years.
He and his wife were members of the Lutheran Church,
and became the parents of four children : Alfred, who
died at the age of six months; Rufus, deceased, who
married Kate Rahn and had three children, Webster, Lil-
lian and Francis; Annie C, who married E. Andrews and
had one son, William, a physician; and Allen H. James
Dunkle was one of the prominent Democrats of his locality,
and during his long and useful life filled a number of im-
portant township offices.

Allen H. Dunkle was educated in the common schools
of his native township, and as a boy worked on the home
farm, later learning the miller's trade, which he followed
as a journeyman for four years. At the end of this time
he learned telegraphy, and for about three years was
employed on the Berks & Schuylkill branch of the Phila-
delphia & Reading railroad, then resigning to engage
in the hotel business. He also built a distillery, which
he operated until its destruction by fire, in 1899, after
which he devoted his entire attention to the hotel busi-
ness, conducting the hotel until 1905, in which year he
purchased the Samuel High property in Temple, where
he has since lived retired. During his residence here
Mr. Dunkle has made many friends, and he and his
estimable wife have the respect and esteem of all who
know them. Mr. Dunkle is a member of the Lutheran
Church, while his wife is of the Reformed faith. In
political matters he upholds the principles of the Demo-
cratic party.

In 1877 Mr. Dunkle was married to Mary Rahn, daugh-
ter of '\yilliam and Susan (Merkel) Rahn, natives of



Ontelaunee township, and three children have been born
to this union:) Robin, a telegraph operator on the Penn-
sylvania Railroad, who married Sadie Shearer; Lloyd,
an electrical engineer, of Chipago, 111., who married Millie
Snyder; and Wayne.

Wayne Du^tkle received his early education in the
common schools and the Keystone State Normal Schoo.l,'
at Kutztown, , after leaving which he attended State
College. The next twelve months he spent in travel
through Kansas, Colorado, Nevada and California, most
of this time being spent in San Francisco, where he was
engaged in the restaurant business. In 1904 he returned
East and engaged in the bakery business, in which he has
been very successful. At the start the capacity of his
bakery was 500 loaves of bread weekly, but he now readily
disposes of from 3,500 to 4,000 loaves weekly, requiring
the services o^ two teams and three assistants. His oven
was especially designed "anejl built by Reading's expert
oven maker, Jeremiah Seider. Mr. Dunkle operates a
«tall at the Tenth and Win4sor street market house, and
occupies stall No. 108 in the market at Ninth and Button-
wood streets. He is enterprising and progressive, and
his honest dealings in business matters have given him
an enviable reputation for integrity. Mr. Dunkle is un-
married, and makes his home^ with his parents.

WESI^EY HORNING, who died Oct. 26, 1901, was
born in Huntingdon county, Pa., Feb. 12, 1837, son of
John and Maty Horning.

Possessed of a good mind and a keen desire for edu-
cation, Mr. Horning was not satisfied with the work he
could do in ti\e common schools in his day, and in 1860
he began wh^t proved to be a four years' course in
Freeland Seminary. He then came to Reading and
entered • upon his apprenticeship as a carpenter, but
before he had cornpleted his !term he enlisted in the army .
for a period of nine months. He served as a private in
Company B, 128th Pa. V. I., under Capt. McNoU, was
m the battles pf South Mouptain, Antietam and Chancel-
lorsville, and .was honorably discharged May 29, 1863.
On his return to Reading Mr. Homing completed his
apprenticeship, , and then worked at carpentry for twenty-
three years. He next became connected with the Read-
ing Car-wheel |Works, and was there employed at the time
of Jiis death.

On May 25, 1870, Mr. Horning married Miss Clara
Whitman, daughter of Benjamin and Catherine (Wight)
Whitman. Nq children were born to them, but they took
into their home and hearts a niece of Mrs. Horning,
Anna Whitmap, and also another child, Stella Garman.
The last named became Mrs. James Miller, while Anna
Whitman married Philip Ganter. In religious belief the
family were Evangelical, and Mr. Horning was an ac-
tive worker in the church to which he belonged, at differ-
ent times having held almost all the offices in it. He
was universally held in high esteem for his well known
honesty, and ,his genial disposition and kindly nature
made him many warm friends. His wife was a worthy
helpmate, and their thirty years of happy wedded life
were filled with acts of charity and helpfulness to the
needy or unhappy. Their motto was always the old Bibli-
cal command "Let not thy , right hand know what thy
left hand doeth," and in its spirit they lived and worked.

In Masonic circles Mr. Horning was prominent. He
joined Lodge No. 62, F. & A|. M., Dec. 19, 1865, and serv-
ed as Worshipful Master in 1866. He joined Excelsior
Chapter, R. A. M., Oct. 12, 1883, and was High Priest
in 1888. On April 27, 1887, he was knighted in Reading
Commandery, K. T., and was a member of Rajah Temple,
A. A. O. N. ]\jl. S. His interest was largely absorbed by
his lodge work, and he never took an active part in poli-
tics, although he was always a good Republican.

JOSEPH S. De LONG, in his life time a highly es-
teemed and successful farmer near Topton, in Maxatawny
township, Berks county, was born there Feb. 11, 1837, and
died Feb. 25, 1896, aged fifty-nine years, fourteen days.



BIOGRAPHICAL



771



Joseph De Long, his grandfather, was a farmer. Ac-
cording to the tombstone in De Long's Bowers church-
yard, his wife, Susanna De Long, nee Butz, was "born
March 30, 1782, died Jan. 24, 1874, aged ninety-one years,
ten months, four days."

Jacob De Long, son of Joseph, was born on his father's
farm near Bowers, March 37, 1803, and died Oct. 23,
1851, his remains being interred at De Long's Church.
He was a life-long farmer, and his home is now the prop-
erty of the De Long estate. In his time the East Penn
railroad had not been built, and in order to build his
horse power shed, he was obliged to haul his lumber
from Allentown. While on one of these trips, oh going
down Griesemer's Hill, he accidentally fell from the
wagon, which passed over him, killing him instantly.
His death caused great sorrow in the community, where
he was universally esteemed. On May 1, 1836, he mar-
ried Sallie Schaeffer, who was born Oct. 4, 1803, daugh-
ter of Jonas Schaeifer, of Fleetwood. She died June
22, 1906, aged ninety-two years, eight months, and eighteen
days. Their children were: Joseph S.; Philip, living re-
tired at Hamburg, who has children— Annie, Dr. Percy
and Elsie; Alfred, a farmer at Monterey, who had ten
children^ six now deceased, the survivors being-^Sallie,
James, Luther and Ruth ; and Elizabeth, who married Dan-
iel Merkel, of Fleetwood, and has children — Ella, Lewis,
Sallie and Daniel.

Joseph S. De Long passed his entire life as a farmer.
In 1868 he came into possession of his father's farm,
a fine tract consisting of 125 acres of land. He was also
the owner of a valuable farm of 160 acres located near
Zion's Church, in Maxatawny township, property that
is now tenanted. In all his undertakings Mr. De Long
prospered, and his investments were marked by sound
judgment.- In politics he was a Republican, and in religion
a member of the Reformed Church, and he is buried at
De Long's Church.

On Dec. 25, 1869, Mr. De Long married Mary H.
Yoder, a daughter of Martin and Catharine (High)
Yoder, and granddaughter of Martin and Susanna (Peter)
Yoder, of Oley township. Seven children blessed this
union: (1) Katie, born in 1871, died in 1878. (2) Sallie
born in 1872, died in 1877. (3) Harvey J., born in 1874,
died in 1878. (4) Rev. Calvin Martin, born July 7, 1876,
was educated in the public schools, the Keystone State
Normal school (from which he graduated in 1894), Frank-
lin and Marshall College, Lancaster (from which he grad-
uated with first honors in 1900) Chicago University, and
the Theological Seminary of the Reformed Church of
America, Lancaster (graduating in 1903). He was sta-
tioned at the New Goshenhoppen Reformed Church at East
Greenville, Pa., where he is still the honored pastor. He
is a brilliant and interesting speaker, and an earnest
worker. On May 5, 1906, he m. Bessie Mae Bauscher,
and has one child, Emma Mary. (5) Lizzie m. Rev. John
Stoudt. (6) Frederick H., born Sept. 23, 1879, attended
the local schools, the Keystone State Normal School, and
is now the farmer on the home farm. (7) S. Molly m.
Marion Hertzog, a clerk at the Kutztown foundry, Kutz-
town, and they have a daughter, Erma De Long.

J. GEORGE SCHAEFER, who was for many years
engaged in tailoring in the city of Reading, Pa., was born
in the Province of Hesse, Germany, Feb. 19, 1826, son
of J. George and Elizabeth (Herbst) Schaefer.

Mr. Schaefer was the youngest of his father's family,
and he received his education in his native country, there
learning the tailor trade from his father. He came to
America in May, 1847, , and finished his trade with his
Ijrother, Peter C, at Reading. Mr. Schaefer came direct
to Reading, where he spent the remainder of his life
engaged in tailoring, thirty years being spent with Wil-
liam Hackey, who had a place of business at Seventh
and Penn streets. A short period before his death Mr.
Schaefer lived retired, and he died Dec. 3, 1889, and Is
buried at St. Paul's Catholic cemetery, which is located
at the foot of Neversink Mountain.



Mr. Schaefer was married to Fredericka Vogel, born
July 17, 1834, six miles from Mr. Schaefer's birthplace
in Germany, daughter of Frederick and Ottillia (Neiland)
Vogel, and to this union there have been born children
as follows: Mary A. resides with her mother; Clara is
known in the church as Sister Marcus, and a teacher in
a parochial school; Father Joseph A., born in Reading,
attended the St. Paul's parochial school of Reading until
his thirteenth year, Vincent College (Latrobe), Beatty
P. O., Westmoreland county, and St. Charles Seminary
at Overbrook, Montgomery county, was located at Potts-
ville, and for five years has been at Manayunk; Theresa,
born Oct. 10, 1860, died June 23, 1867 ; John F., born Feb. 1,
1865, died Feb. 28, 1870; Mary E., born July 30, 1868,
died Jan. 18, 1869 ; and George A., born Aug. 12, 1870, met
his death while at the Philadelphia & Reading shops in
the cyclone of Jan. 9,- 1889.

Mr. J. George Schaefer was a faithful member of St.
Paul's Catholic Church. He was a Democrat in his po-
litical views, but never took an active part in public mat-
ters. His widow, v\rho survives him, still lives at the
old home, No. 224 North Ninth street.

CHARLES H. MACHMER, who, as assistant super-
intendent of the Reading branch of the Prudential Life
Insurance Company, is well and favorably known to a
large body of his fellow-citizens, was born Oct. 21, 1878,
at Bernville, Berks Co., Pa., son of Henry S., a veteran
school teacher of Berks county.

The Machmer family is one of the old-established ones
of Berks county that has a history that is interesting to
preserve. The founder was Philip Machmer, who was
born in Switzerland and came to America in 1753, set-
tling in the rich agricultural domains of Berks county, Pa.
He prospered, as in 1759, he paid a Federal tax of £4,
in Bern township. He lived at least twenty years after
settling here, as his last will and testament, dated Nov.
7, 1773, was registered Dec. 14, 1773. He and his wife
Elizabeth had five children, and they were mentioned in
the will as follows : Nicholas, who was under twenty-one
years of age when the father died, obtained the home-
stead, and he was to pay £500 to his brothers and sisters;
Mary^m. Bastian Bartlet; Philip and George were ordered
by the will to learn a trade when they should become
sixteen years of age; and Mairgaret.

Nicholas Machmer, yeoman of Bern township, died in
1823. He and his wife, Eva, had a daughter, Elizabeth,
and two sons, John and Peter.

George Machmer, son of Philip Machmer, died in 1840.
He bequeathed John Machmer, son of Nicholas, $500,
and John Machmer, son of Philip, $200, and also made
bequests to David and Daniel Machmer, whose relation-
ship he does not specify. He had no issue.

Peter Machmer, probably a son of Nicholas, was a
farmer in Upper Bern township. He made his will Jan.
12, 1852, which was probated May 33, 1854. He and
wife Magdalena had sons, John and Benneville.

Michael Machmer made his will Nov. 5, 1851, and it
was probated in 1873, the year of his death. His wife,
Sophia, was named executrix. The names of his daugh-
ters are not mentioned in the will, and, when it was
made, his sons, Michael, Franklin and Meckley, were
all under age.

William Machmer, born in Maryland in 1777, died in
Upper Bern (now Tilden) township, Berks county, in.
1865. Among his children were John F., Jonathan and
Abraham.

John F. Machmer, son of William, died in 1882, in
Upper Bern (or Tilden) township, and both he and his
father are buried at St. Michael's Church.

Henry S. Machmer, son of John F., was born in Tilden
township in 1847, and was educated in the common schools
■of his native township and in Hamburg, and later at-
tended the Millersville State Normal School. At the
age of seventeen he began teaching, and taught in Upper
Bern, Centre, Penn and Bernville. For seven terms he
was principal of the Penn grammar school, and taught
twenty-four terms in Lower Heidelberg. He is one of



772



HISTORY OF BERKS COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



the veteran teachers of Berks county, and is a well known
figure at teachers' institutes. He served as justice of the
peace in Bernville five years, and is now serving his
fourth term in that position in Lower Heidelberg. He
married Susanna Himmelberger, daughter of John Him-
melberger, of Centre township. They had nine children,
four of whom are deceased. The survivors are : Anson,
of Wernersville; Annie, m. to William McGreth, of Al-
liance, Ohio; Edward H., a painter at Reading; Charles
H. ; and Willis J., of East Liverpool, Ohio.

Charles H. Machmer was reared at State Hill, in Lower
Heidelberg township, and there attended the public
schools, later entering the Keystone State Normal School,
at Kutztown, and still later took a commercial course, in
1899 graduating from the Lebanon Valley Business Col-
lege. He also attended the Interstate Commercial Col-
lege at Reading, where he was a student of merit. Prior to
identifying himself with life insurance, he taught school
in Lower Heidelberg township and one term at Robe-
sonia. In May, 1901, he connected himself with the
Prudential Insurance Company, at the Reading agency,
and Dec. 23, 1903, he was promoted to the position of
assistant superintendent. He is a most successful insur-
ance man and ably performs the many responsible duties
of his position. Since 1902 he has occupied a home of
his own, at No. 364 Schuylkill avenue.

In 1897, Mr. Machmer was married to Themson E.
Speicher, a daughter of Jacob K. and Themson
(Roeder) Speicher, of Robesonia, and they have had
three children, namely: Elliott D., born May 22, 1898,
died Jan. 4, 1899; Stanley E., born May 27, 1900, died
Nov. 8, 1900; and Russell S., born June 19, 1906.

FRANCIS H.. MEE, of Reading, Pa., who has been
living retired since Sept. 30, 1904, was for many years
a trusted employe in the Philadelphia & Reading rail-
road shops. Mr. Mee was born in Maiden Creek (now
Berkley), Sept. 20, 1834, son of George and Julianna
(Hafer) Mee, and a member of an old English Quaker
family which came to Pennsylvania at an early date 'in
the country's history, locating in Chester county.

Jonathan Mee came to Berks county from Chester coun-
ty, and located in the Quaker settlement in Maiden-
creek township, where he engaged in farming, owning
a part of the farm now the property of Charles Dunkel.
He was a carpenter by trade, and followed that voca-
tion in addition to farming. He had been reared a Quak-
er, but on reaching manhood, married a woman of the Re-
formed faith. Both he and his wife are buried at Ger-
nand's Church in Ontelaunee township. He had three
sons and four daughters, namely: George, John, Charles,
Hettie, Sallie, Annie and Mary (Polly).

George Mee, son of Jonathan and father of Francis
H., was born in Maiden-creek township, where he fol-
lowed the trade of a miller all of his life. He died in
1871, in his sixtieth year. He married Julianna Hafer,
who died in 1858, aged forty-five years, and she, like
her husband, was a member of the Reformed Church.
In political matters Mr. Mee was an old-line Whig. To
him arid his wife were born childern as follows : Francis
H., Charles, Mary (m. Alvin Luckenbill, deceased), Hettie
(m. Henry Loy, of Hamburg, Pa.), and five children
who died young.

Francis H. Mee received his education in the schools
of Spring township, where his parents lived for a num-
ber of years, and for some time after leaving school
worked at farm labor He then served an apprenticeship
to the carpenter's trade, and in 1865 entered the employ
of the Philadelphia & Reading railroad, with which com-
pany he continued until his retirement, a period of thirty-
nine and one-half years, since which time he has lived
a quiet life at his home, No. 1710 Centre avenue, Reading.

In 1858 Mr. Mee married Susan Kissinger, daughter of
Abraham and Abby (Hill) Kissinger, and to them have
been born seven children, all of whom are now living,
namely: Sallie, George, Daniel, Annie, William, Alice and
Ida. In religious belief Mr. Mee is a Lutheran, and his
political sentiments are those of the Democratic party.



While employed at the car shops he was connected with
the Philadelphia & Reading Relief Society.

FRANKLIN R. HIMMELBERGER, the well known
carriage and wagon builder of the borough of West
Reading, was born near Garfield, in Centre township,
Berks county, Feb. 5, 1861, son of Daniel P. and Rebecca
(Richard) Himmelberger.

The home of the Himmelberger family is in Upper
Berks county. This is an old family and at one time
quite a. numerous one. The Pennsylvania archives record
that (I) Valentine Himmelberger emigrated to this
country on the "Bilander Townshead," which landed at
Philadelphia Oct. 5, 1737. George Himmelberger, a
brother of Valentine, came over in the ship "Patience,"
which qualified at Philadelphia Sept. 19, 1749. They both
located in Bern township, Berks county. Valentine died
on his farm in 1788. He made his will Feb. 28, 1787,
and this was recorded Aug. 2, 1788. His wife had died
some time before. Their eight children were : Philip,
Jacob, Elizabeth, Catharine, Clara, George, Susanna and
Eve.

In the Federal Census of 1790 George Himmelberger is
recorded as the head of a Bern township family of ten
persons, as follows : the father and mother, two sons
under sixteen years of age, and six daughters. George
Himmelberger died in the fall of 1831. His will made
April 19, 1821, was probated Oct. 15th of the same year,
and is recorded in Will Book C, page 248. The testator
at the time of his death lived in Bern township. The
executors of his will were John Backenstose and others.
Elizabeth, his wife, survived him. The will mentions the
following eleven children : George, Jonathan, Valentine,
Philip, Magdalena, Catharine, Elizabeth (Fisher), Sarah,
Sybilla, Susanna and David (deceased, who had a son,
Georg) .

(II) In the Federal Census of 1790, Philip Himmel-
berger (son of Valentine the emigrant) is recorded as a
resident of Tulpehocken township and the head of a
family consisting .of ten members, father and mother,
five sons and three daughters. Two sons were then above
sixteen years of age. The will of Philip Himmelberger
is on record in Will Book A, page 360. He died in 1797.
The executors of his will were his sons Valentine and
John, and Adam Riegel. He left a large estate, and his
many carpenter tools were given his sons. At this time
of the making of his -will he had two unmarried daugh-
• ters. One of the daughters was named Sabila.

(II) The same Federal Census (1790) shows Jacob
Himmelberger (son of Valentine) a resident of Bern
township. His family consisted of ten members — father,
mother, five daughters and three sons then under sixteen
years of age. He died in 1824, and his will is on record
in Will Book C, page 315. Among the children were
Johannes, Elizabeth and Susanna.

(III) Valentine Himmelberger, son of Philip and grand-
son of Valentine, died in Upper Tulpehocken township
in 1853. In his will on record in Will Book 10, p. 129,
are mentioned sons Daniel and Johannes. The former was
the executor of his father's will.

(IV) Daniel Himmelberger, son of Valentine, was a
farmer in what is- now Centre township. He had a forty-
acre farm at Centreville (now Garfield) on which he lived
and died. He is buried at Belleman'sj Church as is also
his wife. They were members of the Reformed congre-
gation. The maiden name of his wife was Philips. Their
three sons were : Isaac, Moses and Daniel P.

(V) Daniel P. Himmelberger, son of Daniel, was born
1834-35, near Garfield, in Centre township, and there still
makes his home. He is an excellent mechanic, being a
carpenter, blacksmith and shoemaker. He followed carp-
entering many years, and built many dwellings in his
and surrounding townships. His shop was a boon to
farmers for many miles around, who went there to have
shoes repaired, carpenter work done or blacksmithing. He
married Rebecca Richard, and they had nine children :
Adam, Daniel, Franklin R., Levi, John, Morris, Joel,
George and' Sarah (m. Milton Speicher).



BIOGRAPHICAL



773



(VI) Franklin R. Himmelebrger was reared on his
father's farm, where he worked until he was nine years
old, after -which he was hired out and worked for dif-
ferent fanners until he was nineteen years old, when
he learned carriage blacksmithing from Daniel Rapp, the
well-known carriage builder at Reading. He remained in
Mr. Rapp's employ for six years, and in 1885 he opened
a small blacksmith shop at the west end of the Penri
street bridge, where he followed his trade two years. In
1887 he associated himself with George H. Smith under
the firm name of Himmelberger & Smith, and this firm
existed for a period of thirteen years, engaged in car-
riage building and general wheelwrighting, being very
successful from the start. When the Belt Line was built
through West Reading, it passed through this firm's
property, and the firm was mutually dissolved. Mr. Him-
melberger built a large plant at the corner of Second'
and Cherry streets. West Reading, to which he has been
adding ever since. The first buildings were erected in
April, 1901, but the constantly increasing business has
demanded much larger quarters. The main building is
40x100 feet in dimensions, four stories high, with cement
basement. There is also a four-story repository 48x60
feet, and several other annexes making the total amount
of floor space about 36,000 square feet. He employs from
twenty-five to thirty-five skilled mechanics, and he makes
a specialty of market and delivery wagons, heavy wagons
and light pleasure rigs. His .establishment is equipped
with all the latest improved machinery, drying oven, ware
houses, shedding, etc. Besides handling all kinds of ve-
hicles Mr. Himmelberger carries a complete line of har-
nesses, blankets, whips, etc. He does work for a number
of prominent business men, such as Kline, Eppihimer &
Co., Leinbach & Bro., Sternbergh & .Son, Dives, Pomeroy
& Stewart, W. H. Ludens, Whitners, Mould's, undertakers
Seidel & Henninger, George F. Baer, A. L. Rhoads and
many others. He is a thorough business man, and is
the largest individual carriage builder in the county.

In March, 1882, Mr. Himmelberger married Alwilda
Gabriel, of Earlville, later of Reading, daughter of Evan
and Elizabeth (Becker) Gabriel. Four children have
blessed this union: Libbie V., Beulah R., Ruth A. and
Martha M. Socially Mr. Himmelberger is a member of
Fidelity Chamber No. 5, Knights of Friendship; and Camp
No. -213, P. O. S. of A., both of Reading. In politics
he is a. Democrat. When West Reading was incorpor-



Online LibraryMorton L. (Morton Luther) MontgomeryHistorical and biographical annals of Berks County, Pennsylvania, embracing a concise history of the county and a genealogical and biographical record of representative families, comp. by Morton L. Montgomery .. → online text (page 223 of 227)