Morton L. (Morton Luther) Montgomery.

Historical and biographical annals of Berks County, Pennsylvania, embracing a concise history of the county and a genealogical and biographical record of representative families, comp. by Morton L. Montgomery .. online

. (page 224 of 227)
Online LibraryMorton L. (Morton Luther) MontgomeryHistorical and biographical annals of Berks County, Pennsylvania, embracing a concise history of the county and a genealogical and biographical record of representative families, comp. by Morton L. Montgomery .. → online text (page 224 of 227)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


ated into a borough, and the people were looking for
a conservative man for their first chief burgess, they
unanimously selected Mr. Himmelberger for that respon-
sible position, May, 1907. The work of his administration
has been marked by progress and by a business-like con-
duct of affairs, giving great satisfaction to the people.
With his family Mr. Himmelberger belongs to the First
Reformed Church of Reading, in w-hich he is a member
of the consistory, holding office since 1889. He was con-
firmed in Belleman's Union Church in Centre township
in 1876. He is a consistent Christian gentleman, and is
regular in his attendance at divine worship.

WILLIAM H. COLEMAN, a tinsmith of Reading, em-
ployed by the Philadelphia & Reading Railway Company,
was born in Reading Jan. 1, 1860, son of Henry A. and
Hannah S. (Hunter) Coleman.

Henry A. Coleman was born in Berks county, and
married Hannah S. Hunter, daughter of Nicholas Hunter,
of Oley township, Berks county. Their children were :
Hunter, m. to Lavina Strohra, and residing at Fleetwood;
William H. ; Mary, m. to James Shunk, of Reading.

William H. Coleman was reared in Pleasantville, Oley
township, by Isaac Yoder, and he received his education in
the public schools. When fifteen years of age he com-
menced learning the trade of tinsmithing at Pleasantville
with Maybury Yoder, and after two and one-half years
with him, he clerked for two years for F. R. Cleaver,
merchant, at Pleasantville. He then went to Gabelsville,-
and for three years more was a clerk, but then he removed
to Grim's Mill in Colebrookdale township where he farmed
until 1899. At that time he found an opening at Read-



ing with the Philadelphia & Reading railroad, and has
since contmued with this corporation.

On Aug. 7, 1880, Mr. Coleman married Elmira R Feo -
ley, daughter of John F. and Elizabeth (Royer) Fegley
„rM,'? "■ Coleman have one daughter, Elizabeth, m.
to Wilham F. Dentzer, Jr., of Reading. Mr. and Mrs.
Dentzer have two children, Clayton C. and Elizabeth.
Mr. and Mrs. Coleman have in their family a little girl
of twelve, Esther Hartline, whose mother died when she
was an infant^ and her kind foster parents have taken
care of her since she was fourteen months of age.

The pleasant Coleman home is at No. 531 North Tenth
street, Reading. Mr. and Mrs. Coleman are members of
St. Paul s United Evangelical Church of Reading.

GEORGE KNAPP, who died May 20, 1904, was for
many years' a highly esteemed resident of Reading, Pa.,
and for a long period an employe of the Philadelphia &
Reading car shops in that city. He was born in Reading
m 1847, son of George Knapp, Sr., a resident of' Reading,
and a native of Germany.

George Knapp, Sr., was a stone cutter by trade and
a skilled mechanic. He died at his home. No. 913 Button-
wood street; leaving these children : Margaret, m. to John
Sauer, who is engaged in the shoe business on North
Ninth street, Reading; Barbara, m. to William Klump;
John ; Rosa, m. to- Frederick Merkel, a brfss in the polish-
ing department of the shops of the Philadelphia & Read-
ing railroad; Katie, m. to Henry Spooer; and George.

George Knapp received his educational training in the
schools of Reading, and when a young man learned the
shoemaking trade with John Herman, at Ninth and Penn
streets. After following that trade for a period of four-
teen years he entered the employ of the Philadelphia &
Reading shops, and was working in the bolt drilling
department when he became paralyzed in his right leg, dur-
ing, the cyclone which destroyed the shops in 1889. From
that time until his death Mr. Knapp lived retired.

Mr. Knapp married Miss Mary Reisinger, daughter of
Wolfgang- and Mary Reisinger, natives of Germany. Mr.
Reisinger, who for a number of years was employed as
a watchman at the Scott works, Reading, died at the age
of seventy-seven years, three months. Mr. and Mrs.
Knapp had the following children : Miss Maggie is at
home; Rosa m. Peter Barkert, and has children — Mary,
Charles, Loretta, Margaret, Jane and Naomi; Martha m.
John Miller, a farmer near Blandon, and has five child-
ren^Ethel, Joseph, George, Helen and Bernert; Albert,
a foreman in the machine department of the shops, m.
Minnie. Smith, and has one daughter, Dorothy ; and Eliza-
beth m. William F. Burkhart, who is engaged in the ice
business at No. 939 Moss street, and has one daughter,
Irene. Mr. Knapp was. a stanch Democrat in political
matters and served on the election board of the Ninth
ward. He was a faithful member of St. Paul's Catholic
Church, and a member of the two lodges connected there-
with. He was also identified with the Philadelphia &
Reading Relief Association and with the Rainbow Fire
Company. He was well-known in his community, where
he had hosts of friends. Mrs. Knapp, who survives
her husband, resides at No. 353 Moss street.

JOHN E. GOODMAN, of Reading, comes from a
family resident in Berks county since the close of the
Revolutionary war. So far as can be ascertained the
first of the name came to this country in 1780, landing
at Philadelphia and eventually settling in Oley township,
Berks county.

Jacob Goodman, great-grandfather of John E., the first
of the family born in America, passed his early years
in Oley township, his birthplace, but on reaching manhood
settled in Reading, on property now owned by Joseph
Shearer, at the corner of Eighth and Franklin streets.
Throughout his active life he followed his calling of a
wheelwright, and he died in Reading aged sixty-two years.

John Goodman, son of Jacob, was born in Reading,
and as he grew up he adopted his father's trade. For
a year he was located at the corner of Liberty (then



774



HISTORY OF BERKS COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



Court) and Eighth streets, and then removed to Franklin
and Lemon streets, where he remained until 1854, and
in that year retired from business. He was interested in
politics as a stanch Democrat, and served as council-
man from the eastern district. John Goodman married
Miss Catherine Allison, of Reading, and they became the
parents of nine children, namely: Mary, who died when
a year and a half old; Henry; Catherine; Jacob; Maria;
Eliza; Sarah, widow of James Koch; Daniel and
Amanda. Mr. Goodman died March 13, 1875, aged
seventy-three years, five months and fifteen days; his
wife survived him and died March 14, 1881.

Jacob Goodman was born in Reading in 1830, and
received a common school education. At first he carried
on the family traditions by learning the trade of a wheel-
wright, but later he engaged in the butchering business,
and was occupied in that line most of his life. His first
butsher shop was on North Ninth street, near Penn, and
he moved from there to Thirteenth street. Then followed
an interval of four years which Mr. Goodman spent in
Dover, Del., engaged in the lumber and cattle business,
but in 1874 he returned to Reading, resumed the butcher's
trade, and for seventeen years carried it on at Franklin
and Peach streets. In 1891 he took up an entirely new
occupation, going into the hotel business, and during seven
years he ran the "Union House" on Penn street, meet-
ing with the same success in this enterprise which had
attended his earlier efforts. In 1898 he retired, and from
that time until his death July 7, 1903, he was burdened
by no heavy responsibilities, but was free to enjoy quietly
his last years.

Jacob Goodman was married Dec. 14, 1851, to Elizabeth
Breidegam who survives her husband, and lives with her
son, John E. Three children were born to them, but
the two younger ones, Clara and Samuel, twins, both
died. Mr. Goodman was a Mason, a member of Chandler
Lodge, No. 337. Like his father he took a keen interest
in political questions, was a strong Democrat, and was
chosen to help direct municipal affairs, being the repre-
sefttative of the Third ward in both the common and
select councils. He was well known in the city, and had
many friends and left the record of a successful and
well spent life.

John E. Goodman _ was born July 30, 1856, while the
family were sojourning at Temple, Berks county. He
grew up in Reading, attended the public schools, and
then learned the butcher's business under his father. But
he did not make this his permanent occupation, and ' in-
stead took a position with the National Brass & Iron
Works, where he was employed as a shipping clerk for
thirteen years. At the present time Mr. Goodman is em-
ployed in the Mohn Hat Factory.

In 1883, Mr. Goodman married Miss Annie R. Harbster,
of Reading, daughter of the late William and Ellen (Ma-
thias) Harbster. Their only child is a daughter, Clara,
now the wife of George N. Fehr. Mr. Fehr is' a mem-
ber of the firm of John N. Fehr & Son, dealers in leaf
tobacco, Reading. Since 1877 Mr. Goodman has been a
member of the Masonic fraternity, belonging to Chandler
Lodge, No. 237. His residence is at No. 824 Franklin
street.

JAMES E. -DAUTRICH is among the well known
business men of Reading, Pa., engaged in contracting and
building. He was born in this city June 7, 1861, son of
James Dautrich.

James Dautrich was born in 1833, in Alsace township,
Berks county, and when a young man learned the car-
penter's trade, coming to Reading when twenty years of
age. Here from 1853 he followed his trade until 1865,
in which year he engaged in contracting, an occupation
which he continued to pursue until his death May 16, 1899.
Mr. _ Dautrich contracted specially in stone and brick,
furnishing the materials for some of the largest and most
substantial buildings of the city, especially in the North-
eastern section. Mr. Dautrich married Annie Borkert,
daughter of the late Captain John Borkert, who for many
years operated the flour and grist mill at Antietam Lake,



Alsace township. She died in June, 1900, and both she
and her husband are buried in Aulenbach's cemetery.
Their children were : Jacob E., James E, Philip A. and
Kate (deceased).

James E. Dautrich attended the public schools of Read-
ing, and finished his education at the age of seventeen
years iti the grammer school. He then went to learn the
hatter's trade, which he followed for a few years in
Reading, after which he went to Bridgeport, Conn. Mr.
Dautrich remained in the New England States altogether
eleven years, and at the end of this time returned to-
Reading, and here resumed his trade until the death of
his father, when he took charge of his father's business,
and has continued to conduct it to the present time, with
great success. He employs an average of from twenty
to twenty-five men, and also furnishes the brick and
stone for the principal buildings in Reading. Among
the buildings built by Mr. Dautrich in Reading may be
mentioned the Curtis & Jones shoe factory, the Nolde
& Horst stocking factory, terra cotta for the large Dives,.
Pomeroy & Stewart department store. Mr. Dautrich lives
at No. 119 South Eleventh street.

Mr. James E. Dautrich was married Dec. 13, 1894, to
Miss Amanda C. Gettis, daughter of James and Lydia
(Garrett) Gettis, of Berks county. Politically Mr. Daut-
rich is a Republican, and under Mayor Adam H. Leader
was appointed scavenger of the city, a position which he
filled very satisfactorily for three years. He has also-
held a number of minor positions, being register
assessor for a number of years. He is a member of
Grace Lutheran Church. He is fraternally connected with
Camp No. 560, P. O. S. of A., and the Friendship Fire
Company.

AURY E. KALBACH, a member of one of the old
established families of Berks county, resides at No. 316-
North Second street, Reading. He was born at Womels-
dorf. Pa., Oct. 28, 1861, son of Josiah L. and, Catherine
(Bennethum) Kalbach, and grandson of Daniel and Kate
(Lash) Kalbach.

George Kalbach, great-grandfather of Aury E., was the
German emigrant of the family, who came to Berks county
at an early day and settled in Heidelberg township. He
married Maria Spang, a member of one of the aristo-
cratic and wealthy old German families, the Spang estate
when settled being estimated at $7,000,000.

Daniel Kalbach, the grandfather, bought the old Bittner
homestead in Spring township and lived there for many
years, becoming a man of importance and establishing a
reputation for strict integrity. By his first wife, Kate
Yeagley, his children were: Israel, of Ohio; and Eliza,
m. to Daniel Shenfelder, of Newmanstown. He m. (sec-
ond) Mrs. Kate (Lash) Seibert, widow of John Seibert.
She had one child of her first marriage, Mary Ann (m.
Uriah Reifsflyder). By her second marriage, with Mr.
Kalbach, she had the following children: Ellen, m. to-
Henry Behne; Josiah L. and William.

Josiah L. Kalbach learned the coach painting trade in
young manhood, and followed this business for some
years, and then went into the candy-making business, es-
tablishing himself at Third and Ptenn streets, where he
carried on a successful business for twenty-two years, re-
tiring in 1903. He now lives retired at No. 419 Wash-
ington street. Josiah Kalbach and wife, Catherine Ben-
nethum, had three children, namely: Delia, m. to Harry
Deysher, shipping clerk at j. H. Sternbergh's steel plant;
Catherine, m. to Ellis Kirk, a cartoonist _ and sketch
artist; and Aury E. The family is one which has been
united for generations in religion and politics, belonging
to the Reformed Church and the Democratic party.

Aury E. Kalbach was educated in the schools at Wom-
elsdorf, and after completing his education, became a
news agent for a time and then entered the Reading Iron
Company's pipe mill, but left there to learn the hatter's
trade. This he followed for three years and then became
interested in local express work, which he carried on some
four years. He then entered his father's employ and re-
mained with him as candy maker for twenty years. Since



BIOGRAPHICAL



775



his father's retirement, he has devoted his attention to
transportation, teaming for large manufacturing concerns.
Mr. Kalbach was married, in 1882, to Sallie Miller, and
their only child died in infancy. He m. (second) Sarah
Wessner, daughter of Mark and Sarah (Bower) Wessnerof
Maiden-creek. Three children have been born to this
•union: Mark Leroy, born Nov. 23, 1892, at home; Cath-
erine Bertha, born Aug. 34, 1897; and Josiah Bennethum,
bQrn Nov. 29, 1899, at home.

KRIEBEL FAMILY. _ The first of this name in
America, (I) George Kriebel, came to Pennsylvania
in 1734, a member of the little band of Schwenk-
felders who emigrated hither from Silesia, Germany.
On Nov. 25, 1740, he married Susanna, daug-hter of
Balthaser and Regina Yeakel, and they had two sons:
George, born July 11, 1744; and Andrew, born Sept.
17, 1748. George Kriebel died Sept. 2, 1778, and his
wife, Susanna, died Sept. 14, 1775.

(II) Andrew Kriebel, son of George, the emigrant,
married May 16, 1771, Susanna, daughter of Abraham
Yeakel. She died April 22, 1808, aged fifty-seven
years, five months, fourteen days. He passed away
April 17, 1830. They had. nine children, as follows:
Rosanna, born in 1773. m. in 1818 Daniel Diehl, and
died in 1836; Abraham, born Sept. 27, 1774, m. Chris-
tina Kriebel; Samuel, born June 13, 1776, m. Chris-
tina Schultz; George, born Oct. 2, 1778, died May 20,
1779; Regina, born June 25, 1780; David, born July
19, 1783, m. Rosina Schultz; Sophia, born Nov. 1, 1785;
Salome, born Dec. 9, 1787; and Israel, born Sept. 14,
1790.

(III) Israel Kriebel, born Sept. 14, 1790, was a
miller and lived near Chapel, in Hereford township, .
Berks county. He died June 14, 1860. On May 6,
1819, he married Sarah, daughter of Rev. John Schultz,
and she died in March, 1859. They had thirteen
children: Christina, born Oct. 12, 1820 (died Oct.
10, 1864); John, Feb. 4, 1822; Samuel, Nov. 11, 1823
(died June 16, 1825); Susanna, Jan. 8, 1825; Elizabeth.
Aug. 10, 1826; Henry, March 25, 1828; Elias, Oct. 13,
1829; Regina, Oct. 7, 1831; Joseph, June 28, 1833 (died
Dec. 29, 1859); Andrew, Aug. 8, 1835; Anna, 1838
(died 1845) ; Sarah, 1841 ' (died 1845) ; and Mary, July
14, 1846.

(IV) Andrew Kriebel, born in Hereford township
Aug. 8, 1835, died Oct. 10, 1876, on the farm in that
township now owned by his son Allen S. Kriebel.
He is buried at Washington meeting-house. He was
engaged as miller in his father's mill in early life,
and later gave all his time to the cultivation of his
farm. He married Christina Schultz, born March 8,
1840, daughter of Charles and Polly (Reichenbach)
Schultz, died March 6, 1906. To them were born
three children, as follows: Allen S., Oscar S., and
Mary (m. to Milton Schultz, a farmer of Upper Han-
over township, Montgomery Co., Pennsylvania).

(V) Allen S. Kriebel, a farmer in Hereford town-
ship, was born June 28, 1861, at the place he now
lives, and was there reared. He attended school in
his native township, and spent his youth and early
manhood working on the farm for his parents. After
reaching his majority he rented from his mother and
continued farming thus for some years. In the fall
of 1898 he purchased his father's homestead, where
he has been doing well ever since. This property,
which consists of sixty acres of farm land and twenty
acres of wood land, is located near Treichlersville.
The present stone dwelling was built in 1862, by An-
drew Kriebel, and the barn was put up the follow-
ing year, 1863. The stone house replaced a dwelling
— part wood, part log — which had stood for over a
hundred years. Mr. Kriebel has made a number of
improvements on the place since it came into his
possession, and it presents a most attractive appear-
ance. In front of the house are two large pine trees
and a 'spruce_ tree in which he takes especial pride.
Good water is one of the valuable features of this
farm, and as Mr. Kriebel has valuable live stock he



appreciates this fact particularly. He is a modern
farmer in every respect, having a full line of up-to-date
implements, including a first-class threshing outfit,
a* he does considerable threshing in the neighbor-
hood and surrounding townships — his patrons being
found in Berks, Bucks, Montgomery and Lehigh coun-
ties. He has two gasoline engines, one of six and
one of twelve horse-power. In addition to such work,
he saws wood, bales hay, shreds cornstalks, etc., for
the farmers of his section. He has a telephone at his
house, and every convenience for the facilitation of
his various enterprises.

In 1888 Mr. Kriebel married Keturah Schultz, daugh-
ter of Manoah and Annette (Trump) Schultz, of Here-
ford, and to them have been born eight children: Ada,
Chester, Homer, Owen, Irene, Norman, Raymond and
Mary. Mr. and Mrs. Kriebel are much interested in
the education of their family. Their daughter Ada is
at present a student in the commercial department
of the Perkiomen Seminary. All the members of the
Kriebel family have maintained high standing for
respectability and good citizenship, and well deserve
the respect in which they are held. Allen S. Kriebel
and his family belong to the Schwenkfelder Church,
and they are also connected with the Sunday-school,
he being a member of the board of managers, which
consists of three members, corresponding to the board
of trustees of a church. He is a Republican in polit-
ical opinion.

One of the treasured possessions of this family is
an old grandfather's clock, which formerly belonged
to Rev. William Schultz. It not only shows the time,
but the day of the month and the movements of the
moon, and is a valuable relic.

Manoah Schultz, father of Mrs. Allen S. Kriebel,
was born Nov. 23, 1847, in Hereford, and was reared
to farming, which vocation he followed throughout
his active years. From 1868 he was engaged on his
own account, in 1873 obtaining the homestead farm
in Hereford, where he lived until the spring of 1906.
He then moved to Treichlersville, where he farmed a
forty-acre tract for one year, at the end of that time
moving to the Abraham Krauss tract, in Hereford
township, which he bought, and where he is now living
retired. He is a Schwenkfelder in religious faith
and has been active in that denomination, having-
served as a manager of the Sunday-school for many
years.

Mr. Schultz married Annette Trump, born July 23,.
1848, daughter of John and Sallie (Conrad) Trump,
of District township, died Nov. 6, 1875. By this unioii
there were four children: Katie m. Allen S. Kriebel;
Ambrose met an accidental death at the age of twenty-
six; Sallie m. David F. Clemmer; Annie Amanda died
in infancy. Mr. Schultz's second marriage was to
Mary Wiand, in 1878. They have had no children.

(V) Rev. Oscar S. Kriebel, A. M., D. D., minister
of the Schwenkfelder Church and principal of Perkio-
men Seminary, is a resident of Pennsburg, Montgom-
ery Co., Pa. He was born Sept. 10, 1863, in Hereford
township, Berks county, and there spent his boyhood
days upon the farm, receiving his early education
meanwhile in the local schools. For three or four
years during this period he was a very active member
of the celebrated Hereford Township Literary Society.
His spare hours were devoted to preparing himself
to teach school, with such good results that in the
summer of 1880, when only in his seventeenth year, he
passed a county examination under Prof. S. A. Baer,
Ph. D., then superintendent of Berks county, and was
licensed to teach in the public schools. He taught
his first term in Lower Milford township, Lehigh
county, under Superintendent J. O. Knauss in 1880-
1881. The two terms following he taught the Schultz
school in his native township, under the superintend-
ency of Prof. D. S. Keck. In April, 1883, Mr. Kriebel
entered upon a preparatory course at Oberlin College,
Oberlin, Ohio, where he prepared for his college course,
meantime teaching two terms of school in Ohio and



776 HISTORY OF BERKS COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA

one nine months term in Stronach, Mich., though Seminary, which was founded in 1887 by Rev. C. S.

he kept at his studies all the while. He graduated Wieand, of Pottstown, Pa., 'who was born and reared

with honors from Oberlin College in 1889, and from in the Schwenkenfelder Church. In 1892, the school

the O'berlin Theological Seminary in 1903. Duririg opened its doors under the present management, with

the first two years of his theological course in Oberlin four teachers and nineteen scholars. The growth of

he also taught in the pre;paratory department of the the school has been remarkable. In fifteen years the

college. He spent the third year of his theological teaching force was increased to thirty and the total

■course in Germany, studying at the University of enrollment to three hundred and sixty-one. During

Berlin. the last seventeen years the school has enrolled 2,200

Mr. Kriebel was married in 1891, and he and his wife different students from practically all the counties of Peiln-

spent the following year in travel and study in Europe, sylvania, from fifteen different States of the Union, and

Mr. Kriebel putting in most of his time at the Uni- from five foreign countries. Out of a total of 491

versify of Berlin, Germany. Their jourrieyings took graduates, since its reorganization in 1893, two hun-

them through England, Scotland,. Holland and Germany; dred and eighty-one have continued their studies in

and in the latter country Mr. Kriebel gave very special sixty-one higher institutions of learning, including Har-

attention to studying the school system of the country, vard, Yale, Princeton, Columbia, Cornell, University

Dt. Kriebel has devoted much of his time to the of Pennsylvania, Oberlin, Ann Arbor and practically

cause of the Schwenkfelder Church, of which he is a all the best institutions in the East and middle West,

minister, being the pastor of the followers of Caspar The institutio"n is equipped with new m,odern build-

Schwenkfeld in the "Upper District" of the church, in ings, chemical and physical laboratories, gymnasium,

Pennsylvania. He is very active in the denomination, athletic field, etc. A Carnegie library is proposed, but

having been a member of the Home and Foreign Mis- not yet built. It is located in the upper part of the

sion Board of the church since its organization, and rich and beautiful Perkiomen valley. Pure fresh air

a member of the Publication board, which has charge and an abundance of excell^ent spring water supply the

of all the church publications, including the works school which is heated by steam and lighted by elec-

and life of Caspar Schwenkenfeld von Ossig, known tricity.

as the "Corpus Schwenkenfeldinorium," which when The Perkiomen Railroad, a branch of the Philadel-



Online LibraryMorton L. (Morton Luther) MontgomeryHistorical and biographical annals of Berks County, Pennsylvania, embracing a concise history of the county and a genealogical and biographical record of representative families, comp. by Morton L. Montgomery .. → online text (page 224 of 227)