Morton L. (Morton Luther) Montgomery.

Historical and biographical annals of Berks County, Pennsylvania, embracing a concise history of the county and a genealogical and biographical record of representative families, comp. by Morton L. Montgomery .. online

. (page 44 of 227)
Online LibraryMorton L. (Morton Luther) MontgomeryHistorical and biographical annals of Berks County, Pennsylvania, embracing a concise history of the county and a genealogical and biographical record of representative families, comp. by Morton L. Montgomery .. → online text (page 44 of 227)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


Boats :

John A. Hiester, since 1878.

Previously, Samuel Krauser, David Ely, William
Hiester (father of John), Peter Krick, Adam Waid,
William Call, and Jerome Ringler, covering a per-
iod of fifty years.
Bookbinding:

Edward Taenzer, 1889 (formerly Taenzer Broth-
ers, and Engel Brothers, 1869-85).

Heller Bindery, 1908 (succeeding Charles F.
Heller, 1883-1904, and H. C. Wonnberger, 1894-
1907).

Arnold's Commercial Book Shop (Augustus W.
Arnold), 1907 (succeeding F. P. Heller, 1902-07).

Previous binders, Isaac W. Harper (1835-74};
George Kesserling (1858-86).

National Text Book Company, at Reading, Pa.,
was organized in 1909 for the purpose of binding
books, manufacturing text-books and tablets of all
kinds, and publishing magazines, and, when fully
established, to include a printing department. In
this behalf the company purchased the Connard
Brass Foundry at Sixth and Chestnut streets and
secured possession on June 1, 1909. The building
was equipped with the latest machinery and opera-
tions were started July 1st. Its trade will be ex-
tended throughout the United States. The officers
of the company are: President, Hon. L. S. Wal-
ter, Mt. Carmel, Pa.; vice-president, J. B. Steiner,
Reading, Pa.; secretary, W. W. Ridge, Centralia,
Pa.; treasurer, Paul K. Leinbach, Reading, Pa.
The directors are: Hon. Thomas P. Merritt,
James B.. Renninger, F. B. Musser, G. L. Klein-
ginna, Reading, Pa. ; Hon. E. M. Herbst, Oley, Pa. ;
Hon. Leopold Fuerth, Honesdale, Pa.; J. V.
Lesher, Esq., Sunbury, Pa.; E. J. Flynn, Esq.,
Centralia, Pa. ; James F. Carline, Mt. Carmel, Pa. ;
Plarry W. Davis, Esq., Wilmington, Delaware.
Bottling Works:

/. Fett & Sons, 1887 (succeeding John Fehr,
1850-55, Herman Floto, 1855-64, Schick & Fett,
1864-87).

Empire Bottling Works, 1898 (Herman J. Croes-
sant, succeeding Fries & Croessant, 1882-98).

Excelsior Bottling Company, 1894 (Thomas J.
Fessler, succeeding Fessler & Dunkelberger) .

Reading Bottling Works, 1906 (Reading Brew-
ing Company).

Irvin Hassler, 1908 (succeeding A. W. Fisher,
1887-1908).

Union Bottling Works, 1902 (Walton A. Griese-
mer).

Mountain Spring Water Company, 1892 (John
Lawrence, and his sons Edward and Richard).

Mt. Laurel Spring Water Company, 1908.



READING



171



Boxes, Cigar:

A. Thalheimer Manufacturing Compmvy, 1903
(succeeding John Kaul, 1865-66, Frederick Brecht,
1866-68, Albert Thalheimer, 1868-95, A. Thalheim-
er & Son, 1895-1903).

E. R. Fichthorn Est., 1907 (succeeding E. R.
Fichthom, 1878-1907).

Lyman P. Kline, 1905 (succeeding Boyer & Heil-
ig, 1866-1905).

Old Honesty Ciga/r Box Company, 1907 (J. N.
& C. W. Bucks) (succeeding Bellman Brothers,
1905-07).

Boxes, Paper:

Reading Ribbon Badge Company, 1896 (suc-
ceeding Julius Webber, who manufactured ribbon
badges etc. from 1853 to 1896).

Standard Paper Box Company, 1894 (succeed-
ing Albert Trate, 1875-94).

William H. Engel, 1886.

■Reading Paper Box Company, 1893.

Mt. Penn Paper Box Company, 1894 (Ephraim
G. Wanner & Sons, since 1907).

Excelsior Paper Box Company, 1908 (Charles
C. Miller & Harry I. Steiger).

Boxes, Packing Cases:

Abner S. Deysher, 1894 (succeeding Jacob H.
Deysher, 1860-88, and his vwidow, 1888-94).

Leinbach Box Company, 1902.

/. F. Kachline, 1904. '

Brass Works:

Henry Connard Est., 1907-May, 1909 (succeed-
ing Douglas & Connard, 1854-96, and Henry Con-
nard, 1896-1907).

Dick Brothers, 1901 (succeeding Miller & Buck-
waiter, 1897-1901).

Excdsior Brass Works, 1903 (succeeding Charles
Dick & George A. Wicklein, who started in 1897).

mine & Co., 1897 (J. W. Kline).

Crescent Brass Manufacturing Company, 1904.

Brass Foundries also carried on by P. & R.
R. Company, Reading Hardware Company and
Penn Hardware Company.

Breweries :

Lauer Brewing Company, 1883 (Frank P. Lauer)
(succeeding George Lauer, 1826-35, and Frederick
Lauer, 1835-83).

Deppen Brewing Company, 1901 (succeeding N.
A. Felix, 1847-79, and William P. Deppen, 1879-
1901).

P. Barbey & Son, 1880 (John Barbey) (succeed-
ing Peter Barbey, 1861-97).

Reading Brewing Company, 1886.

Schneider Brewing Works, 1907 (August Schnei-
der) (succeeding Stocker &.Roehrich, 1891-1907).

Brick, Fire:

Reading Fire Brick Works, 1889 (succeeding
William A. Wells & Isaac Bertolette, 1845-57, and
McHose & Thompson, 1857-89) ; plant, Fifth and
Canal streets. /'

George J. Eckert manufactured fire-brick for
many years on Canal street, near Bingaman.



Brick, Building:

The manufacture of building and paving brick
was a prominent industry at Reading from the be-
ginning of Reading until 1907, when the last brick
kiln was abandoned. The manufacture is carried
on prominently by parties residing in Reading, but
the plants are situated in West Reading and ad-
joining Wyomissing.

Brooms :

Shanaman Brothers, 1873 (Jacob, William F. and
Walter Shanaman, the last having retired from
firm in 1896).

5". E. Nies & Co., 1899 (Samuel E. Nies and
David T. Schmehl).

Henry H. Krouse manufactured brooms for many
years, having started in 1840.

Brushes :

George Regenfuse, 1852.

J. 0. Flatt & Co., 1895 (Joseph and George)
(succeeding their father, Joseph O. Flatt, 1873-
95).

Previous brush-makers were Benjamin Witman,
Morris Helms, Peter Steinel, 1847-70, John E.
Steinel, 1870-1905.

BUGGYAUTS :

In 1906 Charles E. Duryea became interested in
the development of a horseless conveyance .which
he named the "Buggyaut," a carriage propelled
by gasoline. He established a place in 1908 on
Cherry street, above Third, for assembling the
several parts, which are made by different parties
here and elsewhere, and then started filling orders.
He employs 4 hands.

Cabinet Works :

In 1907 John Herb and Daniel Rhoads associated
together as the Reading Cabinet Works for the pur-
pose of manufacturing cabinets, show-cases, etc.,
having succeeded J. Howard Cutler, who had
carried on the business for a number of years at
No. 834 Court street. They employ 5 hands.

The Neversink Planing Mill makes a specialty
of supplying cabinets.

Candy :

/. 0. Roller, 1880; transferred to son May, 1909.

Luden Candy Factory — In 1882, William H. Lu-
den began modestly making candy for Christmas,
with thirty pounds of sugar, at No. 37 North Fifth
street, and he disposed of the result of his first ef-
forts in his store. He continued there for ten years,
gradually increasing his production, and then he
was obliged to move into larger quarters, which he
established in a four-story building on the northeast
corner of Sixth and Washington streets. He em-
ployed then 140 persons and worked up a carload
of sugar weekly, and his trade came to extend
through the Eastern, Middle and Southern States.
By the year 1900 his trade had been developed to
euch proportions that he was obliged to secure still
larger quarters, and he accordingly located his plant
on Eighth street beyond Walnut, where he erected
a .four-story Ibrick structure, 165 feet front by



173



HISTORY OF BERKS COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



110 feet deep, dedicating the building in June, 1900,
and taking possession shortly afterward. And
there, too, his business has been increasing from
year to year until he has come to employ from 400 to
500 hands. During the summer of 1909 he erected
a four-story brick addition to the south end, 60 by
110 feet, making the plant altogether 325 feet front
by 110 feet deep. He manufactures all kinds of
candies in very large quantities, which are shipped
throughout the United States. For several years
he has made a specialty of "Luden's Menthol Cough
Drops," which have become very popular, the an-
nual sales amounting to 5,000,000 5-cent packages.

Mr. Luden has endeared himself very much to
all his employes by his kindness and generosity.
Annually he provides an outing for them at his own
expense, which is highly appreciated.

John M. Fries, 1888.

Reading Confectionery Company, 1893.

W. G. Mollis, 1893-1905, and since by estate,
tate.

Numerous other parties manufacture candy, but
in a limited way.
Carpets :

Charles Pf'lugfelter, 1883 (succeeding his father,
John Pflugfelter, 1855-97).

Joseph A. Boyer, 1883.

Charles J. Smith, 1887.

Carpets made are entirely of rags. Ingrain car-
pets were also made for some time but discontin-
ued.
Carriages and Wagons:

W^etherhold Brothers, 1891 (William and
George) (succeeding father, William H. Wether-
hold, 1862-91).

Biehl Carriage and Wagon Works, 1903 (suc-
ceeding George W. Biehl, 1877-1903).

G. H. Smith & Son, 1902.

Keystone Vehicle Company. — ^The Keystone Ve-
hicle Company was incorporated May 4, 1909, with
a capital of $75,000, for the manufacture of wagons
and automobile bodies, as successor of the Keystone
Wagon Works, which had carried on a large busi-
ness at Reading since 1890, extending to all parts
of the United States. It secured the established
plant along the Lebanon Valley railroad at Third
street, consisting of a four-story brick structure,
200 by 325 feet, equipped with first-class modern
machinery. Operations were started immediately
and employment was given to 100 hands. The an-
nual wages will amount to $50,000, and the product
to $300,000. The officers of the company are : Ed-
ward C. Nolan, president; G. Stanley Hendel, sec-
retary ; John L. Coxe, treasurer and manager.

Tobias K. Shenk followed general contracting at
Reading for eight years, and in 1903 embarked in
the business of manufacturing heavy and light
wagons and carriages, including rubber tires, at
No. 1139 Moss street, and has continued until the
present time, employing from 6 to 10 hands.

David L. Rehcr (engaged in local express and
storage) started in this business at Buttonwood
■and Cedar streets in 1905 and has since carried it



on successfully with 7 to 10 hands, according to
the demands of his trade.
Celluloid Signs:

The General Advertising Company was incorpor-
ated in the year 1900, with a capital of $15,000, by
a number of Reading capitalists, for the purpose of
establishing a plant at Reading for the manufacture
of steel enameloid signs of a general description.
The company carried on business successfully at
several places in the city, and in October, 1907,
erected a superior four-story brick structure,
30 by 100 feet, at Fourth and Franklin streets,
v/here they have developed a very large trade,
almost wholly engaged in manufacturing steel
celluloid signs for paint manufacturers, and for
railroads, which are sold throughout the United
States. The plant employs 25 hands. It is the only
one of the kind at Reading. The officers of the
company are: Walter S. Hamaker, president; How-
ard J. Potts, secretary-treasurer.
Cement Paving:

R. L. Wilson & Co.

Dominic Maiirer (succeeding Engelbert & Wag-
onblast) .

Franklin Walters.

Reading Cement & Paving Company (Hover-
ter & Hartman).

Weller Brothers (Frederick W. and Ephraim).

Cement paving began at Reading about 1876.
The first large pavements were put down at the
Boys' High School in 1883, and the Post-Office
building in 1887. Cement blocks began to be made
at Reading in 1904 by Weller Brothers.
Chewing Gum :

The Kola-Chemical Company was incorporated
in the year 1903 with a capital of $30,000, for the
manufacture of chewing gum at Reading, and since
then has manufactured "Richardson's Kola Chew-
ing Gum" in large quantities, employing 25 hands.
Its quarters are located in the Luden Candy Fac-
tory. The officers of the company are: William
H. Luden, president; Miss M. M. Boas, treasurer;
and A. N. Bodey, secretary.
Cigars :

The manufacture of cigars at Reading bega,n
about 1800, and the prominent manufacturers un-
til the Civil wlar were James Morris, John Ey-
rich, Samuel Eyrich, Isaac James, J. & E. Eyrich,
Philip Albright, John Maltzberger, J. & G. W.
Hantsch, Charles Breneiser and William Hartman.
In 1908 there were over one hundred factories at
Reading and each of the following parties made
annually upward of five hundred thousand:



H. G. Burky

Dibert Bros. (Samuel D.)

Otto Eisenlohr & Bro.

Fleck Cigar Company

F. Ganter

Julius G. Hansen

P. Hilderbrand

Heymann Sons

Haller & Whiteraft

Industrial Cigar Mfg. Co.

E. E. Kahler Cigar Co.



George W. Lehr
N. & N. Cigar Co.
A. R. Orth
Penn Cigar Co.
H. H. Roland
John H. Riegel
Charles Ream
Rush Mfg. Co.
M. Steppacher
J. G. Spatz & Co.
J. W. Sheridan & Co.



READING



17a



W. W. Stewart & Son Yocum Bros.

Valentine Wiilk

Ehiring 1908 the number of cigars manufactured
in the Reading district exceeded 120,000,000; and
the revenue paid wjas $361,873 ; and the revenue
paid on manufactured tobacco was $14,783.
Clothing :

/. P- Sellers & Co., successors of James Jameson,
1844.

Leinbach & Bro., 1865 (Joseph and George),
who were succeeded by Joseph and Charles H.
Leinbach.

Reading Pants Manufacturing Company (Solo-
mon Hirschland), 1895.

A%ert J. Brumhach, 1895.

There are numerous custom tailors who make
suits to order; also upward of two hundred dress-
makers who are constantly engaged in making
women's and girls' dresses, employing from sev-
eral hands to ten and even twenty. Large dress-
making departments are carried on successfully
by C. K. Whitner & Co., KUne, Eppihimer & Co.,
and Dives, Pomeroy & Stewart, in connection with
their stores.
Cotton Factory:

In the year 1849, certain capitalists at Read-
ing organized a company for the manufacture
of muslin and i^ 1851 erected a large plant 68 by
274 feet on a block of ground, at Ninth and Cotton
streets, which has continued in operation almost
constantly until the present time. In 1886 it was
enlarged to 360 feet. Gamer & Co., of New York,
have operated it since 1860 in a very successful
manner, in connection with other plants. They
have employed nearly 300 persons, and paid out
annually in wages upward of $75,000, evidencing
the important character of this enterprise to Read-
ing. Ellis L. Castor has been the manager of this
large plant since 1900. His predecessor from 1884
to 1900 was Jonathan Smith; and from 1857 to
1884 the manager was John Gragg. From 1872
to 1900, Mr. Castor served as clerk under the man-
agers named.
Cotton Goods, Hosiery:

The following list embraces the active manu-
facturers of hosiery at Reading:

Reading Knitting Mills, 1883.

Nolde & Horst Company, 1888, very large.

William J. Bobst, 1891.

George W. Hawk & Co., 1896.

Harry Hahn, 1896.

Penn Knitting Mills, 1896.

Kuersten & Rick, 1896.

S. S. Miller, 1898.

/. H. Loose, 1898.

W. H. Lando, 1898.

Hampden Knitting Mills Company, 1899.

East Penn Hosiery Company, 1899.

George Guenther, 1900. ■

Hv R. Epler & Son, 1901.

Hawk Knitting Company, 1901.

Consolidated Knitting & Spinning Mills, 1901.



Albert Weber, 1901, formerly of L. Weber &
Co., and Weber & Hahn.

Charles L. Oaks, 1904.

Metropolitan Knittinz Mills. 1904.

Rick Hosiery Company, 1905.

A. W. WoKnger Company, 1905.

Colonial Hosiery Mills, 1906.

Central Knitting Mills Company, 1907.

Reading Knitting Mill. — Hosiery, both cotton and
woolen, was commonly made by hand by many
females at Reading, and sold to the stores. Great
quantities were made elsewhere, brought here and
sold at retail in the stores. By the year 1876, the
custom of wearing home-made stockings was al-
most entirely abandoned.

In 1883, the first factory was established at Read-
ing for the manufacture of hosiery by machinery,
and after passing through several hands, the plant
in 1885 became the property of I. C. Hunsicker
& Co., who traded as the Reading Knitting Mills,
and were the first firm to employ upward of a
hundred hands and produce daily. about 500 dozen.
In 1891 they erected a fine large plant, incareased
their hands to 250 and their daily product to 800
dozen daily; which evidences the growth of this,
new enter-prise at Reading. In 1896, J. Gaenzle
& Co. became the successors, and in 1898 Charles
E. Leippe secured an interest in the business, when
the name was changed to Gaenzle & Leippe. In
1905 Charles T. Davies succeeded Gaenzle and the
firm became Leippe & Davies, but trading under
the same name. In December, 1907, Mr. Leippe
became the sole owner, and he has since operated
the plant very successfully, employing 150 hands.

Noldc-Horst Hosiery Mill. — Jacob Nolde and
George D. Horst began to manufacture hosiery on
the third floor of the Thalheimer Power building
on Cedar street, south of Walnut, in 1888, with 25
hands. Their annual product amounted to $30,000.
In 1890, they built a brick factory on Cedar street
beyond Walnut, and there continued the business,
in connection with a plant which they carried on at
Eighth and Spring streets, until 1892, when they
took possession of a four-story brick building on
Moss beyond Douglass, which they erected. In 1896
they enlarged the building by adding two wings;
and in 1897 they became incorporated as The Nolde
& Horst Company, with a capital of $250,000.

In December, 1899, the entire plant was destroy-
ed by fire, but it was rebuilt immediately on the
same site, much improved, with slow-burning con-
struction, fire walls, sprinkler equipment, stair-
towers, etc. These stair-towers at the north and
south end of the large structure are the first of
the kind introduced at Reading and they afford ab-
solutely safe exits in case of fire.

In 1906 they added the Ninth Street Mill, which
practically doubled their plant. They are now the
largest hosiery manufacturers in the eastern sec-
tion of the country, if not in the entire country. They
produce annually 1,000,000 dozen pairs of hose and
half-hose, worth $2,000,000, and employ 1,500 peo-
ple. Their annual pay-roll is $600,000. Their pro-



174



HISTORY OF BERKS COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



duct is sold in all parts of the United States, but
none of it is exported. The officers are: Jacob
Nolde, president ; George D. Horst, secretary- treas-
urer; John D. Horst, superintendent.
Cotton Goods, Underwear:

Elijah S. Amnion, 1893.

Lewis Rothermel, 1898.

Lewis & Schultz Manufacturing Company, 1907 ;
running another factory at Tremont.

Reading Underzvear Company, 1906 (succeeding
C. E. Smith, W. W. Moyer and R. T. Brown, who
started in 1902) ; have another factory at Ephrata.

Mt. Penn Underwear Company, 1905 (Levi M.
Miller & James M. Stoudt).

Eclipse Knitting Company, 1906.

Dreisel & Ripka, 1907.

Creameries:

Peter Zacharias, 1905 (succeeding Spang &
Zacharias, 1893-1905).

Keystone Creamery, 1902 (William M. and
Charles D. Toole) (succeeding Joseph Stauffer,
1893-97, and A. S. Clouser, 1897-1902).
Dye Works :

Nevcrsink Dyeing Company, 1906 (succeeding
Nathan S. Althouse and Jam'es H. Knoll, 1894-
1906).

Liberty Dye Works, 1898 (Elias Schulz and son
Edward).

Reading Dyeing Company, 1907.

There was a prominent dyer at Reading for a
number of years before and after the Civil war,
named Sebastian Boehnlein.
Electro-Plating :

Franklin Specialty Company carried on electro-
plating, nickel-plating and the manufacture of spe-
cialties from 1901 to 1909, when Charles Engel-
meyer became the proprietor of the plant. He em-
ploys from 10 to 15 hands.
Express and Transfer Companies :

Albright Express. — Soon after the opening of
the Philadelphia & Reading railroad, Philip Al-
bright established an express line for the delivery
of goods and merchandise, and he continued in the
business until 1872. • For a long time he had an ex-
press car attached to the passenger trains, which
enabled him to despatch shipments to Philadelphia
and delivery at Reading.

Express Companies. — The Howard Express was
the first company to locate at Reading, having es-
tablished an office here in 1849 and continued until
1870; the Central conducted an office here from
1870 to 1880; and the Adams from 1880 to the
present time. The P. & R. R. Co. started in 1872
and continued until 1889, when the business was
transferred to the United States Ejcpress Company.

Local Express. — Edwin C. Hiester embarked in
the local express business at Reading in 1861 for
delivering baggage and freight and for transferring
passengers. The latter was discontinued in 1888,
when the Union Transfer Company was started
expressly for this branch of the business. The



former was continued until 1900, when Maurice E.
Roeder became the successor, and Mr. Roeder has
carried on the business until the present time, em-
ploying 11 teams.

A number of other persons engaged in this busi-
ness, the important lines being:

H. A. Brown, 1873, with 12 teams.

O. B. Caller, 1873, with 8 teams.

C. W. Haas, 1885, with 6 teams.
John Greth, 1892, with 3 teams.

D. L. Reber, 1895, with 12 teams.
Leibelsperger & Walborn, 1904, with 4 teams.
Ambrose Dougherty, 1907, with 3 teams.
Union Transfer Company. — In 1888, the P. & R.

R. Co. began the business of transferring baggage
and travelers at Reading with C. A. Dougherty as
manager, and in 1889 cabs were added to the sys-
tem. In 1893 the business was sold to the Union
Transfer Company, which was conducting similar
systems at Philadelphia, Pottsville, Atlantic City,
and other places. In 1896, this company erected a
large stable at Court and Cedar streets, costing
$25,000. The company employs 20 nien, 25 horses,
4 cabs, 2 coaches and 2 baggage wlagons. Mr.
Dougherty died in 1902 and his son acted as man-
ager until 1907, when Michael C. Quinn became
his successor.

Reading Taxicab Co. — The automobile having
demonstrated its great utility in the matter of loco-
motion with increasing success at Reading since its
introduction in 1891, and a car called the "taxicab"
having come to be made since then to answer the
purposes of cab service in and about Reading,
Harry O. Koller organized the Reading Taxicab
Company with a capital of $20,000 on Dec. 17, 1908,
which introduced six fine taxicabs, and these imme-
diately came into general demand on account of
their quick, neat and satisfactory service.

Fire Apparatus :

William A. Wunder, 1883 (succeeding Spawn
& Dennison, 1880-83).

Fixtures, Bar, Bank, Store and Office:
Loper Brothers (Joseph and Franklin), 1901.
Schrader & Kline also provide all kinds on orders.

Fixtures, Gas and Electric :

Embree & Goodman, 1906 (succeeding Egid
Thoma) .

Flour-mills:

Aaron Yocum Sons & Co., successors of Aaron
Yocum, established 1870.

Werts Milling Company (Edward S. Wertz),
1898.

Three prominent mills were operated along the
canal for many years after it was opened for traffic :
Krick's (on North River street), Benson's (at foot
of Penn street) and Packer's (at foot of Binga-
man street) ; and there w^re two old mills opposite
Reading at the mouth of Wyomissing creek, and
one at the mouth of the Tulpehocken creek (con-
verted into a paper-mill).



READING



175



Galvanizing :

A. Lincoln Frame, who started in the foundry
business in 1903, trading under the name of the
Gray Iron Foundry Company, added a galvanizing
department to his works in 1907, and has since em-
ployed 12 men in this branch of work. It is the
only individual enterprise of this kind at Reading
(galvanizing by the Reading Hardware Works, the
Penn Hardware Works and the P. & R. R. Works
being done for their own specialties) .

Gloves :

The Reading Glove and Mitten Manufacturing
Company was incorporated in 1899 for the manu-
facture of silk gloves, and its large plant has been
carried on successfully at Tenth and Spruce streets
vintil the present time, employing 60 to 100 hands.

E'. Richard Meinig & Co. was organized in 1905
for the manufacture of silk gloves, became incor-
porated in 1907 and employs from 500 to 700 hands.
Its large plant is located on North Front street, be-
yond the Lebanon Valley railroad.

Greenhouses":

Steckler Brothers (B. Franklin and Leo), 1907
(succeeding- their grandfather, Michael Hauser,
who started in 1840 and continued until 1873, when
he was followed by his son Francis and his son-in-
law D. H. Steckler).

Hu J. Huessman, 1901 (succeeding John C. Hep-
ler, 1875-1901).

G. H. Hoskin Company, 1905 (succeeding Hos-
kin & Giles, 1875-1905).

John H. Giles, 1905 (having been associated with
G. H. Hoskin from 1875 to 1905).

G. W. Beears, 1890.

/. C. Bander, 1903.

Alexander Burnett was prominently engaged in
the business at Reading from 1850 to 1880.

Grocers' Bags:

The Hercules Paper Bag Company was organ-



Online LibraryMorton L. (Morton Luther) MontgomeryHistorical and biographical annals of Berks County, Pennsylvania, embracing a concise history of the county and a genealogical and biographical record of representative families, comp. by Morton L. Montgomery .. → online text (page 44 of 227)