Morton L. (Morton Luther) Montgomery.

Historical and biographical annals of Berks County, Pennsylvania, embracing a concise history of the county and a genealogical and biographical record of representative families, comp. by Morton L. Montgomery .. online

. (page 54 of 227)
Online LibraryMorton L. (Morton Luther) MontgomeryHistorical and biographical annals of Berks County, Pennsylvania, embracing a concise history of the county and a genealogical and biographical record of representative families, comp. by Morton L. Montgomery .. → online text (page 54 of 227)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


E. J. Dunlap became the first secretary in March,
1898. He was succeeded by James W. Leach in
September, 1902; by Henry E. W. Simon in Jan-
uary, 1905 7 and by Edwin R. Gobrecht on Oct.
1, 1908, who served efficiently until March 31,
1909, when he resigned to become the general sec-
retary of the Y. M. C. A. at Empire, Panama
Canal Zone, under the auspices of the Panama
Canal Commission.

Variety of Associations. — In order to show
the great variety of the associations at Reading,



they have been presented in the following class-
ification. They are indeed numerous and it is
apparent from the extent of the variety that very
few of the citizens are not connected with any of
them. No attempt has been made to give the
membership; and the compiler can not even pre-
tend to have given the names of all the associa-
tions.
Agricultural

Athletic and Sporting

Baseball Golf

Basket-ball ' Gunning

Bicycle Gymnastic

Boating Quoiting

Bowling Tennis
Foot-ball



Charitable
Associated Charities
Home for Friendless Chil-
dren
Home for Widows and

Single Women
Hope Rescue Mission
Hospitals, Reading, Hom-
eopathic, St. Joseph's
Financial

Banks 9

B. & S. Associations ... .2

Historical ■

Historical Society of
Berks County

Medical
Berks County Medical
Reading Medical

Military

Baptist Boys' Brigade
Reading Artillerists (Com-
pany A, 4th Regt., N.
G. P.)
Miscellaneous 50

Musical — Instrumental
Amphion's Musical Club
Big Six Drum Corps
Cadet Band
Colonial Band
Drexel's Orchestra
Fahrbach's Orchestra
Germania Orchestra
Italian Band

Ladies' Symphony Or-
chestra

Musical — Vocal
Harmonie Maennerchor
Reading Choral Society

Patriotic

Daughters of American
Revolution

Political

Americus Club

Eleventh Ward Democra-
tic Club

Fifth Ward Democratic
Club

Jackson Democratic Club

Lincoln Republicans

McKinley Club

Protective
Reading Underwriters



Humane

Reading Benevolent

Reading Relief

W. C. T. U.

Woman's Employment

Y. M. C. A.

Y. W. C. A.



Trust Companies 5



Berks County Homoeo-
pathic
Reading Dental

Reading Rifles (Company
I, 4th Regt., N. G. P.)



Liberty Drum Corps
Military Drum Corps
Philharmonic Band
Polish Band
Ringgold Band
Schuylkill Drum Corps
White Eagle Band



Reading Liederkranz



Conrad Weiser Branch of
D. A. R.

Northeast Democratic As-
sociation

Northeast Republican
League

Sixth Ward Democratic
Club

Southeast Republican
League

Volunteer Fire Companies
13



216



HISTORY OF BERKS COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



Religious

All the different denominations have societies of a
literary, sociable or charitable nature, numbering about
one hundred.

Secret and Beneficial
American Protection As-
sociation 6

American Mechanics ... 10

Elks

F. and A. M 11

F. O. E.
Foresters of America

G. A. R 2

German Order of Har-

ugari 2

Heptasophs

Knights of Friendship.. 7

Knights of Golden Eagle

10



Knights of Labor 32

Knights of the Maccabees

Knights of Malta 3

Knights of Mystic Chain
Knights of Pythias ... 5
Modern Wbodmen .... 2

Odd Fellows 7

P. O. S. of A 17

P. O. of Americans... 4

Red Men 11

Roman Catholic 25

Royal Arcanum 3

Temperance 4

Temple Club



Social
Alumni

Berkshire Country Club
Combine Club
Elm Leaf Club
Ivy Leaf Club
Letter Carriers'



Nursery Literary Associa-
tion
Reading Reading Club
West End Club
Woman's Club
Wyomissing Club



f': ,^ GOVERNMENT AND OFFICIALS

STATE REPRESENTATIVES

Under the provisions of the Act of ■ May 19,
1874, the State was apportioned into senatorial and
representative districts. By this apportionment, the
■city of Reading was made a separate district for
representatives, and authorized to elect two mem-
bers. Previously the county, including the county-
seat, was one district and the Assemblymen chosen
from the city are therefore included with the coun-
ty officials. The following persons were repre-
sentatives from Reading:

Name Term

Amos B. Wanner 1875-76

Jacob Miller 1875-78

Jeremiah Boone ' 1877-80

George McFarlan 1879-82

John S. Wagner 1881-83

Asa G. W. Smith 1883-86

Henry D. Green 1883-86

Spencer H. Smith 1887-88

James L. Douglas 1887-88

Allen S. Beck 1889-92

Samuel D. Missimer 1889-92

John R. Laucks 1893-94

John B. Goodhart 1893-94

Edward HI Luden 1895-98

David West 1895-98

Daniel K. Hoch 1899-1902

Harry E. Drase 1899-1902

W. Frank Mohr 1903-06

James B. Gabriel 1903-06

W. Wayne Weber 1907-08

John W. Morrison 1907-08

Richard W. F. Reuther 1909-10

Robert G. Bushong 1909-10

RE.ADING OFFICIALS

Town. — The local government at Reading from
1748 to 1783 was that commonly incident to a
township for the regulation of road affairs. Un-
til 1760, it was included in Alsace township; then
it was established into a separate district.



Borough. — On Sept. 13, 1783, the town was
incorporated into a borough, and the people were
invested with enlarged powers for local affairs,
which related chiefly to the streets and the public
peace. Provision was made for the annual elec-
tion of two burgesses, four assistants (who with
the chief burgess constituted the council), high
constable, town clerk, two supervisors and two
assessors. The charter continued the same, ex-
cepting several modifications about elections.

City. — The borough was incorporated into a
city on March 16, 1847. The Act preserved the
wards previously created: Northeast, Northwest,
Southeast, Southwest and Spruce, and it provided
for the election of one select and one common
councilman from each ward by the electors, the
former for three years and the latter for one year;
for the annual election of a mayor, treasurer, and
three auditors; for the election of select and com-
moii councilmen from the several wards, the for-
mer for three years and the latter for one year;
and it provided further for the annual appoint-
ment by councils of a solicitor, street regulator,
SLirveyor, two street commissioners, market com-
missioner, high constable, and scavenger, and pres-
idents and clerks of councils. It created two dis-
tricts for aldermen (Penn street being the divid-
ing _ line), with two aldermen for each district,
having similar term of office and powers as jus-
tice of the peace; and the day of election was
fixed for the third Friday of March.

The Act was modified March 13, 1861, and among
other things provided by this second charter the
terms of mayor and treasurer were extended to
two years, and of auditor to three years ; and it was
again modified April 26, 1864, when a third char-
ter was provided, changing the day of election to
the second Friday of February, and increasing the
term of common councilmen to two years, one-half
of the number to be chosen every two years alter-
nately.

The general Act of May 23, 1874, accepted by
the people as a fourth charter, made a num-
ber of changes in the local government of Read-
ing. The day of election was changed to the third
Tuesday of February. Each ward became en-
titled to an alderman for five vears, and a consta-
ble and assessor for three years. It substituted
a controller in the place of "the auditors, with a
term of two years; and increased the term of en-
gineer and solicitor to two years. All the com-
mon councilmen were to be elected every two
years.

A general Act was passed May 23, 1889 for
cities of the third class (which included Reading)
and the terms were made as follows : Mayor, treas-
urer, controller, three assessors and engineer, three
years ; solicitor, two years ; select councilmeri, four
years, and common councilmen, two years The
Act of May 16, 1901, increased the term of solici-
tor to three years.



READING



5217



Wards. — The first sub-division of Reading was
made in 1817' for election purposes. The divisions
were two, North ward and South ward, with Penn
street as the dividing line. In 1840, it was sub-
divided into four wards, Northeast, Southeast,
Northwest and Southwest, with Penn street and
Sixth street as the dividing lines. And in 1844,
a fifth ward was established called Spruce, com-
prising that part of Reading which lay between
the Schuylkill and the Philadelphia & Reading rail-
road south of Spruce street.

In 1861, the names of the wards were changed
to numerals : Spruce vvard to First ; Southwest to
Second'; Southeast to Third; Northeast to Fourth;
and Northwest to Fifth. In 1864, the city was di-
vided into nine wards. In 1876, two wards were
added, the Tenth ward having been taken from the
Second (constituting that portion lying east of
Tenth street) and the Eleventh from the Ninth,
constituting that portion lying north of Button-
wood street. In November, 1885, two additional
wards were created out of parts of the Eleventh
ward, the Twelfth constituting the portion between
Greenwich and Windsor streets, and the Thirteenth
constituting the portion north of Windsor. In
November, 1893, two additional wards were created
out of parts of the Sixth and the Seventh wards,
the Fourteenth constituting that portion of the
Seventh north of the Lebanon Valley railroad, and
also that portion of the Sixth north of the Lebanon
Valley railroad and east of Second street and
Centre avenue; and the Fifteenth constituting the
remaining portion of the Sixth, north of the Leb-
anon Valley railroad. And in November, 1894, the
Sixteenth was created out of that portion of the
Eighth which lay east of Eleventh street, and that
portion of the Tenth east of Thirteenth street.

The Act of March 23, 1889, provided for repre-
sentation from the wards in councils as follows:
In select, one member for four years; in common,
two members for two years until the city came to
comprise fifteen wards, when the representation in
common should become one member.

Elective Officials. — The following officials are
elected by the electors of the entire city every three
years at the municipal election on the third Tues-
day in February : Mayor, controller, treasurer, and
three assessors; and the following by the electors
of the sixteen respective wards : select councilmen
for four years and common councilmen for two
years.

Appointive Officials. — The following are ap-
pointed :

By the mayor: Chief of police, four sergeants,
sixty-five patrolmen, two operators of the police
telegraph, two turnkeys, two patrol drivers, elec-
trician, police clerk, commissioner of markets and
city property, and scavenger, all subject to approval
of councils.

, By council: City clerk (four years) ; four water
commissioners ,(four years) ; city engineer (three
years) ; city solicitor (three years) ; five members



board of health, who select two physicians (indefin-
ite period) ; four common commissioners (four
years) ; four commissioners of public works (four
years) ; superintendents, clerks, assistants, etc., for
the several departments. Matron appointed since
March, 1898.

Officials for Wards. — Officials are elected at the
municipal election in February by the voters of
each ward: Alderman (term five years) ; constable
(three years) ; and assessor (three years) ; besides
the representatives in the select and common coun-
cils, and in the school board.

Officials for Precincts. — All the wards of Read-
ing, excepting the Fourth, are divided into precincts,
numbering altogether fifty. Each of these pre-
cincts is an election district, and annually, on the
third Tuesday in February, the voters elect a
judge, two inspectors and a registry assessor. The
Fourth ward constitutes an election district by
itself; as to this district, there is no registry as-
sessor, the ward assessor performing the duties of
that office also.

BURGESSES

The Act of Sept. 13, 1783, provided for the an-
nual election in May of two burgesses and four as-
sistants, the first appointees until May 1, 1784, hav-
ing been: burgesses, Daniel Levan and William
Scull ; assistants, Peter Nagle, John Spohn, Benja-
min Spyker, Jr., and James Mjay.

A complete list of the burgesses from 1783 to
1847 was not obtainable. After dihgent search the
names of the following persons who officiated were
discovered (no minutes between 1786-89, 1791-93,
1795-96-97-98) :

Name Term

Daniel Levan and William Scull 1783

Charles Biddle and John Mears 1784

James Diemer and Jacob Winey 1785

James May and William Green 1790

Christian Barrenstine and John Otto ,. . . .1793-94

Jacob Bright ' 1799-1800

Henry Hahn a:nd Peter Stichter 1803

Jacob Bright (Brecht) and John Strohecker 1804

Fred'k Fritz 1807-08

Nicholas Dick 1810

John Spayd 1815-22

William Witman 1822-25

Peter Nagle, Jr 1825-31, 1832,-33, 1837-39

Henry A. Muhlenberg 1831-32

George M. Keim 1833-34.

Anthony Bickel 1834-35

Thomas Keppel 1835-36

William Schoener 1836-37, 1839-43

William High 1843-44

William Betz 1844-47



Name Term

Peter Filbert ,. . . 1847-48

William H. Keim • 1848-49

George Getz ,. 1849-53

Daniel R. Clymer 185i3-54

John S. Richards 1854-55

William M'. Baird , 1855-56

Joel B. Wanner 1856-57

A. Jordan Swartz 1857-58

Benneville Keim 1858-61

Joel B. Wanner 1861-63



>A8



HISTORY OF BERKS COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



Joseph S. Hoyer 1863-63

Nathan AI. Eisenhower •■ . 1865-67

William H. Gernand 1867-71

Samuel C. Mayer 1871-73

Charles F. Evans 1873-79

Henry A. Tyson 1879-81

William G. Rowe . . .' 1881-85

James K. Getz 1885-87

James R. Kenney 1887-90

Thomas P. Merritt 1890-93

William F. Shanaman 1893-96

Jacob Weidel 1896-99

Adam H. Leader 1899-1903

Edward Yeager 1902-05

Edwin R. Gerber 1905-08

William Rick 1908-11

CHIEFS OF POLICE
Name Term

John L. Morris 1847-49; 1858-59

Henry Seitzinger 1849-51

John H. Nagle 1851-54

Reuben Goodhart 1854-55

William Y. Lvon lS5r>-.-,T ; 1860-61

Samuel Folk 1857-58

Henry Wunder 1859-60

Howard L. Aliller 1861-63

Jacob B. Mast 1863-65

Joseph Deysher 1865-67

William McNall 1867-71

Peter Cullen '. 1871-79; 1893-96

Daniel Housum 1S79-81

Raymond B. Lewis 1881-85

Frederick H. Fleck 1885-87

Mahlon Shaaber 1887-90

Richard M. Whitman 1890-93 ; 1902-08

John F. Albrecht 1896-98

Jacob Etzel 1898-99

Milton J. Miller 1899-1902

Charles E. Auman 1908-11

TREASURERS
Name Term

George Feather 1847-55

George R. Frill 1855-56

Daniel S. FIoU 1856-57

George W. Bruckman 1857-58

Miichael Kraemer 1858-59

Peter Cleaver 1859-61

Peter Shaneman 18G1-63

William Heidenreich 1863-71

John E. Arthur .■ 1871-85

Horatio Jones 1885-87

John Obokl 1887-03

John M. Bertolet 1893-96

Henry G. Young 1896-98

John Y. Hoffman 1898-1903

Walter M. Tyson 1902-08

Edward H. F'ilbert 1908-11

AUnlTORS
Name Term

Lewis J. Hanold 1847-48

Nathan Eisenhower 1847-49; 185.9-61

John L. Reifsnyder 1847-49

Frank B. Miller 1848-49

Jacob B. Smith 1849-50

Z. H. Maurer 1849-51 ; 18o4-:.rj

Jeremiah Bitting 1849-50

John Darrah 1850-53

George Heckman 1850-51

James L. Rightniyer 1851-52

John F. Evans 1851-54

John F. Moers 1852-53

A. W. Nagle 1852-53 ; 1 854-55

John Pfleager 1853-54

William Briner 1853-54

John J, Tyson 1854-55



Peter Cleaver 1855-56

William Geiger 1855-56

John A. Banks 1855-56

Matthias Babb 1856-57

William Henry 1856-57

Albert G. Green 1856-57

William Umbenhower 1857-58

Wharton Morris 1857-58; 1861-62

James Van Horn 1858-59

Amos B. Wanner 1858-59

John O. Schoener 1858-59

Peres Hain 1859-60

Charles Scull 1859-60

Henry Eppihimer 1860-61

James A. Fasig 1860-61

B. Frank Haas 1861-63

Charles F. Smith 1861-64

Lewis Briner 1863-65

Henry Kerper 1863-66

Isaac R. Fisher 1864-67

John S. Aulenbach 1865r-68

William M. Goodman 1866-69

John E. Arthur 1867-71

Hiester j\L Nagle 1868-71

W. Murray Weidman 1869-73

Levi H. Liess 1871-74

JJohn Keppelman 1873-73

Jacob Lenhart 1873-75

Isaac T. James 1ST3-75

Henry M'. Keim 1874-75

CONTROLLERS
Name Term

William Briner

Chester N. Farr, Jr 1875-76

Henry A. Tyson 1876-79

William A. Runkel 1879-81

Joseph Housum 1881-88

J. Lawrence Getz 1888-93

Samuel R. Kerper 1892-93

Walter B. Koch 1893-96

Adam H. Leader 1896-99

Charles L. Moll 1899-1908

Obadiah B. Dorward 1908-11

Water Boaed. — The city was divided into four
districts for the election of commissioners of water
by an Act passed March 21, 1865. Sixth street
and Penn street were made the dividing hnes ; and
city councils were required to elect four persons,
one from each district. Of the first board, two
were to hold office for two years and the remaining-
two for four years. Thereafter every two years,
councils have elected two members for four years.
The office is without compensation. The 'board
is authorized to employ a superintendent and work-
men for carrying on the department. The follow-
ing have been the commissioners :

COMMISSIONERS

First District
N^me Term

David A. Stout 1865-73

Solomon L. Snyder 1873-77

George K Levan '.'.'.'.'.'.'.'.'.'.'.'.'. 1877-80

Matthias Mengel 1880-81

Charles K. Hillegas ' is81-83

Jacob Holl .■.'.'.■.'.'.'.■.■.':: 1883-90

Frank A. Tyson 1891-98

i; ,^- ■^.'■y ; ■ 1898-1901

Edward Elbert 1901*

Second District

Tohn Malzberger 1865-67

Thomas L. Addison 1867-73 ; lS77-s.->



READING



219



Aug. C. Greth 1873-77

Charles Melcher 1877-77

Albert A. Heizmann 1885-&2

Jesse Orr 1892-92

Abner S. Deysher 1893-93

Frederic P. Heller 1893*

Third District

Jacob Bushong .* 1865-67

Jacob C. Hoflf 1867-71

William -R. Mcllvain 1871-83

Isaac McHiose 1883-87

James Rick 1887-91

M'atthan Harbster 1891-1907

A. Ellsworth Leinbach 1907

Fourth District

Joseph Mishler 1865-67

Levi J. Smith 1867-75 ; 1879-83

Addy Gehry '. 1875-79

F. S. Jacobs 1883-91

George H. Felix 1891-1904

Solomon H. Close 1904*

SUPERINTENDENTS
Name Term

Marks B. Scull 1865-82

William B. Harper 1882-92

William B. Albright 1892-95

Emil L. Nuebling 1895-1909

Park Commissioners. — The board of common
commissioners was established by an ordinance
passed Sept. 28, 1887, and the councils in joint
convention were authorized to elect four commis-
sioners, for four years, one from each section, with
Sixth and Penn streets as the dividing lines. At
the first election, the two having the highest num-
ber of votes, and the two having the lowest, were
to be declared as elected, and one of each was to
be elected for four years, and one of each for two
years ; and thereafter every two years two commis-
sioners were to be elected for four years. The elec-
tion was to take place on the first Monday of Sep-
tember. The following persons have been mem-
bers of the board; and the board was empowered
to appoint a superintendent and employ laborers.

Name Term

George F. Baer 1888-1910

Walter S. Davis 1888-1910

Thomas P. Merritt 1888-92

David F. Lotz 1888-92

David E. Benson 1892-1902

Philip Bissinger 1892-98

Jacob A. Strohecker 1898-1909t

James L. Douglas 1902-10

PARK SUPERINTENDENTS
Name Term

William H. Burke 1887-1906

William I. Hoch 1906-10

ASSESSORS

From 1874 to 1889, the voters of each ward
elected an assessor for three years to assess real
and personal property for purposes of taxation.
Then, under the Act of May 23, 1889, cities of the
third class were authorized to elect three persons
as a board of city assessors to serve from the first

* Continued by re-election.

t Died Feb. 27, 1909, and William K. Leithiser appointed suc-
cessor.



Monday in April for three years. This board has
accordingly from that time assessed the property
in Reading for city purposes, and city councils have
fixed the rate of taxation according to the demands
for revenue. Ward assessors are still elected, how-
ever, at the municipal election every three years,
for county purposes. The following have been the
assessors :

Name Term

Frederick Stephan 1890-93

William W. Werner 1890-93

Henry A. Ruth 1890-93

Christian C. Frantz 1893-96

Daniel Beidler 1893-99

Adam H. Leader 1893-96

Abraham H. Reeser 1896-99

Aaron H. Dunkle 1896-99

Charles F. Yeity 1899-1902

Henry S. Young 1899-1902

Mlahlon Fies 1899-1908

Howard O. Sharman 1902-05

J. Peter Koch 1902-08

William Luppold 1905-11

Charles J. Hoff ' 1907-10

Charles M. Brissel 1909-12

BUILDING INSPECTORS

The office of building inspector was established
by ordinance passed on Jan. 5, 1889, and the mayor
was authorized to appoint a suitable person for a
term of three years. The following persons have
officiated :

Name Term

Joseph A. -Heine 1891-92

Monroe A. Moser 1892-93

Abraham Seiverd 1893-96

John S. Wagner 1896-1902

Harry A. Heckman 1903-08

Oscar D. H'enne ; 1908-11

BOARD OF PUBLIC WORKS

A board of public works was established by city
councils Nov. 30, 1895, for the purpose of super-
vising the grading, paving, repairing and regulat-
ing of the streets, and of controlhng the house
sewerage, pumping and disposal system ; which was
to comprise four commissioners, who were to be
appointed by city councils, the appointees to be se-
lected from the electors of the four districts of
Reading, and the dividing lines of the districts to
be Chestnut, Walnut and Douglass streets. This
board has officiated since that time, having directed
its attention more particularly toward the establish-
ment of sewers for surface and house drainage,
and of paved streets. The following have been
members of this board:

First District
Name Term

Henry Eppihimer 1896-98

James L. Douglas 1898-1900

Charles E. Leippe 1900-02

John M. Archer 1902-04

Andrew J. Fink, Jr. • 1904-10

Second District

Jerome L. Boyer 1896-98

Charles W. Potteiger J.898-1906

Walter Essick 1906-10



220



HISTORY OF BERKS COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



Third District

George Eltz 1S96-1906

Frank A. Schofer 1906-10

Fourth District

Ferdinand Goetz 1896-1901

Edwin R. Gerber 1901-05

Charles H. Hunter 1905-10

SELECT COUNCILMEN
UNDER CHARTERS OF 1847 AND 1861

Northeast Ward
Name Term

John Y. Cunnius 1847-51

Peter F. Na^le 1851-54

Joseph Henry 1854-57

Joseph Ritter 1857-60

George Foos 1860-63

Levi J. Smith 1863-65

Northwest Ward

Hiester H. Muhlenberg 1847-49

Joel Ritter 1849-52

Tobias Barto 1853-5'5

Ivens Benson '. 1855-58

Francis Bright 1858-61

Jacob C. Hoff 1861-64

Jacob Bushong 1864-65

Southeast Ward

Henry Nagle 1847-50; 1854-56

Frederick Printz 1850-53

Joshua Keely 1853-54

Hiram C. Ritter 1856-59

Robert Caldwell 1859-62

David Levan 1862-65

Southzucst Ward

Richard Boone 1847-49

Charles H. Hunter 1849-52

Augustus Boas 1852-55

Samuel Frees 1855-58

Frederick S. Boas 1858-61

Isaac McHose <-. 1861-64

Peter Hoch 1864-65

Spruce Ward

John Darrah 1847-49

Thomas Hill 1849-53

Henry W. Raudenbush 1853-56

John D. Mlorris 1856-62

Samuel Robinson 1862-65

UNDER CHARTERS OF 1864 AND 1874

First Ward
Name Term

Amos H. Deysher 1865-68

John D. Morris 1868-71

Matthan Harbster 1871-74

Jesse Orr 1874-80

Glauser Miller 1880-88

Matthew Rhoda 1888-1908

Frederick H. Robitzer 1908-12

Second Ward

Zeno Hoffmaster 1865-69

Henry C. Hain 1869-73

Henry Seiders 1873-75

Levi Richards ; 1875-77

Simeon S. Sands 1877-80

Samuel -Robinson 1880-83

Michael MtCullough 1 883-87

Israel S. Fry 1887-88

Daniel Auchenbach 1888-90

John H. Thamm 1890-94

William R. Madden '..1894-1902

Joseph MicCulloueh 1902-06

James M. Cummings 1906-10



Third Ward

Adam Kutz 1865-67

John S. Schroeder 1867-70

Calvin Goodman 1870-73

Charles S. Herb 1873-76

William G. McGowan 1876-79

Jacob Goodman 1879-83

Richard S. Dunkel . . . '. 1882-85

Jeremiah G. Mohn 1885-87

Charles B. WeIIs ; . 1887-89

Samuel G. Heinly 1889-90

Henry C. Schroeder 1890-94

Jacob B. Stout 1894-1900

John R. Mast 1900-13

Fourth Ward

Peter Hoch 1865-67

J. Timothy Jackson 1867-70

George W. Morgan 1870-73

James L. Douglas 1873-76

William S. Monyer 1876-79

James Lord 1879-82

Albert A. Heizmann 1882-85

John A. Rigg 188di-94

Dr. H. L. Johnson 1894-1902

Dr. F. W. Frankhouser 1903-06

E. B. Slichter 1906-10

Fifth Ward

Frederick Lauer 1865-71

William Call 1871-74

F. P. Heller 1874-77; 1883-86

Benjamin Lichtenthaler 1877-80

Harrison Harner 1880-83

Frederic P. Heller 1883-86

John R. Miller 1886-88

William H. Bitting 1888-1913

Sixth Ward

George W. Garst 1865-70

George W. Bushong 1870-76

George Rader 1876-82

Levi J. R. Krick 1883-87

Edward Yeager 1887-88

Francis M. Henning 1888-89

William F. Shanaman 1889-90

John H. Keppelman 1890-98

William W. \Vunder 1898-1910

Seventh Ward

Levi J. Smith 1865-66

George J. Eckert 1866-69



Online LibraryMorton L. (Morton Luther) MontgomeryHistorical and biographical annals of Berks County, Pennsylvania, embracing a concise history of the county and a genealogical and biographical record of representative families, comp. by Morton L. Montgomery .. → online text (page 54 of 227)