Morton L. (Morton Luther) Montgomery.

Historical and biographical annals of Berks County, Pennsylvania, embracing a concise history of the county and a genealogical and biographical record of representative families, comp. by Morton L. Montgomery .. online

. (page 58 of 227)
Online LibraryMorton L. (Morton Luther) MontgomeryHistorical and biographical annals of Berks County, Pennsylvania, embracing a concise history of the county and a genealogical and biographical record of representative families, comp. by Morton L. Montgomery .. → online text (page 58 of 227)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


O


en
O


e-o"


o


en








3 C


m


a


U


et;


Q


wtD


Bernville . . .


1907


$ 25,000


$ 122,462


$ 81,405


$ 2,973


Bjrdsboro . .


1888


50,000


358,896


177,844


81,852


Boyertown












National . .


1874


100,000


1,118,378


690.760


196,713


Farmers . .


1883


50,000


267,006


162,756


4,739


Fleetwood . .


1907


25,000


143,675


90,479


3,296


Hamburg . . .












Savings


1872


50,000


642,710


495,232


97,300


First Nat'l.


1908


25,000


129,818


78,176


1,509


Kutztown . .


1897


50,000


448,262


250,404


86,187


Mohntqn . . .


1907


25.000


137,702


91,422


1,270


Topton


1906


25,000


137,484


82,750


3,875


Womelsdorf


1903


50,000


405,985


316,352


35,159



MERCANTILE LICENSES

The mercantile appraiser, John G. Herbine, appointed
by the county commissioners for the year 1909, reported
the business places in the several boroughs of Berks county,
liable to county tax, their number being as follows :

Bechtelsville 14



Bernville 19

Birdsboro 49

Boyertown 70

Centreport 6

Fleetwood 32

Hamburg 61

Kutztown 65

Lenhartsville 12

. Mohnton 12

Mount Penn 11



491



Reading 1,546

Townships 894



Total 2,931



LIQUOR LICENSES



Bernville 2

Birdsboro 3

Boyertown 4

Bechtelsville 2

Centreport

Fleetwood 4

Hamburg 8

Kutztown 6

Lenhartsville 2



Mohnton 2

Mt. Penn 2

Shillington 1

Topton 3

Womelsdorf 4

West Reading 2

West Leesport 2

Wyomissing 2

49



Bernville:
Name


Founded


Pastor


Members


Friedens (L.),
S't. Thomas (U.)


1739-1791-1897
1897


(Vacant)
■ T. C. Leinbach (R.),


450


Birdsboro:








St. Paul's (R.),

St. Mark's (L.),

Chapel


1881
1877
1899


J. V. George,
Z. H. Gable,


30
230



BoyertOTsni:

St. John's (L.), 1811

(Union, 1811 to 1871)
Good Shepherd (R.), 1871

Fleetw'ood:

St. Paul's (^U.), 1841



Chapel (U.),

Hamburg:



1884



A. M. Weber, 1,046

G. G. Greenwald, 428



M. H. Brensinger (R.), 840
J. O. Henry (L.), 375



Shillington 20

Topton 20

West Leesport 10

West Reading 30

Womelsdorf 29

Wyomissing 18



St, John's (L.),1789-1811-'57-'98
(tjnion from 1789 to
1898, when destroyed by
fire and rebuilt by Luth-


H. C. Kline,


571


erans.)
First (R.),


1888


(Vacant),


312


Kutztown:








St. Paul's (R.),
St. John's (U.),

Trinity (L.),


1753-1790-1876
1874-1894


G. B. Smith,
E. H. Leinbach (R.),
J. J. Cressman (L.),
R. B. Lynch,


1,120
451
315
296


Lenhartsville








Friedens (U.),


1856-1892


R. S. Appel (R.),
D. D. Trexler (L.),


110
110


Mohnton:








St. John's (L.),


1900


M. H. Stetler,


393


Mt. Penn:








Faith (L.),
Trinity (R.),


1885


J. F. Snyder,
M. L. Herbein,


93
112


Shillington:








Emanuel (R.),
Grace (L.),


1874-1908
1902


W. J. Kershner,
F. F. Buermyer,


80
40


Topton:








St. Peter's (U.)


1869-1881


G. B. Smith (R.),
J. O. Henry (L.),


130


West Reading)








St. James (R.),
Bethany (L,),


1R93
1896


George W. .Gerhard,
W. 6. Laub,


204
238


Womelsdorf:








Zion's (U.),


1793-1867-1803


L. D. Stambaugh (R.),
O. E. Pflueger, (L.),


245
357


Wyomissing:








Reformed


1909


H. H. Rupp





Other Churches
Mennonite

Boyertown: Old, 1790-1819-1879
New, 1883



i Andrew Mack
- John Ehst
A. S. Shelly,



Protestant Episcopal

Birdsboro 1852-1885

Methodist Episcopal

Birdsboro 1839-1869

Boyertown

Hamburg



1876
1854



CHURCHES OF BOROUGHS

Lutheran and Reformed



Evangelical

Birdsboro (Trinity), 1904

Mohnton (Salem), 1849-1872



United Evangelical

1874
18—
1866



(L.. indicating Lutheran;
• ■ • ch



using the church

Bechtelsville:

Name
Trinity (U.),



R.,

alternately.)



Reformed ; and U., Union, both



Founded Pastor Members

1886 George W. Roth (R.), 65

J. J. Kline (L.),



Birdsboro
Boyertown
Fleetwood
Hafnburg

Ktttstown

Mohnton

Shillington

Topton

West Leesport

Womelsdorf



1872.
1850-1885.



1872
1835-1867



1895
1895
■1895
1895

■1895
1895
1904
1895
•1895
■1895



Francis Yarnali,



A. F. Collom,

F. Herson,

E. F. Hoffman,



B. W. Luckenbill,
F. Solver,



George S. Kauffroth,
C. W. Heffner,
C. E. Hejs,

(I. J. Reitz

I A. S. Mengel
H. J. Kline,
J. R. Hensyl,
C. D. Haman,
J. R. Hensyl,

( I. T. Reitz

I A. S. Mengel
F. B. Yocum



26



145



185

54

113

352



150
145



155

65

161



125
303
125
303



240



HISTORY OF BERKS COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



United Brethren

Name
Birdsboro

Church of God

Fleetwood (United),



Founded
1886



1868



SCHOOL AFFAIRS— 1908



Borough



Bechtelsville . .

Bernville

Birdsboro

Boyertown . . . .
Centreport ....
Fleetwood . . . .

Hamburg

Kutztown

Lenhartsville . .

Mohnton

Mount Penn . .
Shillington *

Topton

West Leesport
West Reading
Womelsdorf . .
Wyomissing . .



2

2
11

9

1

5
12 .

4

1

7

3

3
3
7
6
3





to


;-!




a


O


o


^


(J


m


y-i


u


dj


rt






rt


;n






fA


LLi


151


129


22


24


236


222


185


217


14


19


103


120


240


226


97


106


11


12


148


151


73


62


77


65


30


43


161


144


89


124


52


65



o






$ 1,176

1,369

10,206

7,695

429

4,808

16,110

5,220

517

4,361

2,774

2,773
1,549
4,323
5,195
30,486



^ 320

337

1,988

1,561

120

707

1,866

1,041

137

1,909

495

513
424
2,022
981
859



■ Established after report published and appropriations made.



ODD FELLOWS



6

bo
3


Borough


in

u

s


Value of
Property


122




65
295
118
260
160


$ 4,000
7,000
1,500


514
708


Birdsboro


103


Hambur"* . ...


12,000


159


Womelsdorf


3,000



Reading, seven lodges . . . .
Townships, eleven lodges.



$26,500
. 73,792
. 36,400



$136,692



P. O. S. OF A. CAMPS



z;



07
78
103
104
113
172
211
324
417
446
531



Borough



Xi

a






Womelsdorf
Hamburg . .
Fleetwood ■ •
Boyertown .
Bernville . . .
Topton ....
Mohntpn . . .
Bechtelsville
Birdsboro . .
Centreport .
Lenhartsville



136
321
180
224
207
211
233
130
293
116
64



7,440

11,901

6,994

8,668

10,270

6,262

7,791

5,931

11,134

3,393

1,670



Camps at Reading (14)
Camps in townships (28)



2,115
3,835
3,419



$ 81,454
113,398
148,152



9,369 I $343,004



KUTZTOWN

Incorporation. — ^Kutztown was the second bor-
ough erected in Berks county, Reading having
been the first. It was incorporated by a special
Act of Assembly in 1815, the Act having been
framed after the Act of 1783, by which Reading
was incorporated. It is situated in the northeast-
ern section of the county along the Sacony creek,
and the territory within the boundary lines was
taken from Maxatawny township.

The lands in this vicinity, embracing one thou-
sand acres, were patented to Peter Wentz in 1728 ;
and he, in 1755, conveyed 130 acres to George
Kutz. In 1779, Kutz laid out a town and named
it Kutztown, and soon afterward the first dwell-
ings were erected. In 1817, there were 106 tax-
ables, with a total valuation of $56,465. The tax-
rate was U mills. In 1835, there were 159 tax-
ables; 105 "dwelhngs ; 800 population. In 1908,
there were 622 resident taxables, with a total val-
uation of $670,500.

Proceedings were instituted in the councd to
add to the borough the improved aiid connected
portions of Maxatawny township which adjoin it
on the east, north and west, comprising 567 acres
and making the total area of the borough 742
acres; and these proceedings were filed in court
on March 1, 1909, for legal action.

Taxables of 1817.— The first list of taxable in-
habitants, of the borough was prepared in 1817,
and the following list comprises their names, with
their rating, numbering altogether 106 :

Angstadt, Joseph, gunsmith $ 20

Baity, Jacob, Sr., blacksmith 592

Biehl, Daniel, tinman 905

Baity, Jacob, Jr., blacksmith 32

Bryfogel, George. Sr., farmer 932

Busby, Samuel, shoemaker 20

Bieber, Dewald, merchant 1,617

Bast, Dewald, farmer 2.904

Becker, Ephraim, doctor 705

Barner, Michael 390

Benjamin, John, hatter 20

Cupp, Conrad, town-crier 600

Cupp, Andrew 150

Cupp, Christian, cabinet-maker 20

Dennis, John, shoemaker 752

Dum, Thomas 813

Deisher, John 350

Dennis, Jacob

Ernst, Nicholas, farmer 1.123

Essert, Jacob, cabinet-maker 1,384

Essert, Daniel, cabinet-maker 30

Essert, George, cabinet-maker 20

Fister, George, inn-keeper 1.573

Fister, John, saddler 20

Fritz, Peter, cabinet-maker 532

Gross, Joseph 92

Geehr, Philip, Esq., justice 33

Gifft Peter, clock-maker 103

Geehr, Benjamin, saddler 20

Graeff, Jacob, blacksmith 760

Grube, Christina 350

Glasser, Daniel, hatter 420

GeS'chwind, John

Geehr, Samuel, and Levan, Jacob 580

Grim, Jonathan , 2,852



BOROUGHS



241



Geisweit, Peter, laborer 32

Herbine, Samuel, cooper 954

Humberd, Jacob, carpenter 32

Hottenstine, Catharine 682

Heist, Henry 962

Heist, Hannah, widow 500

Heninger, John, shoemaker 882

Harmony, Benjamin, tailor 32

Jung, John, laborer 20

Kutz, Peter, tinman 1^272

Kutz, Adarri^ carpenter 1,762

Kutz, Jacob, mason 33

Knoske, John, minister 772

Keaffer, Joseph 302

Kutz, John, tailor 1,077

Keiser, Joseph 1,037

Kutz, Peter, Revolutionary soldier 1,209

Kutz, Daniel 462

Kemp, George, Jr 900

Kohler, Henry, proprietor of Kutztown Hotel 1,600

Klein, Philip 500

Kaup, Andrew, wheelwright 20

Klein, Jacob, tailor 20

Klein, Isaac 430

Keller, Israel, shoemaker 20

Kutz, Solomon, butcher 722

Kister, George, tailor 820

Keiser, Jacob, weaver 433

Levan, Jacob, Esq 1,107

Levan, Daniel, inn-keeper 1,602

Levan, Jacob, inn'-keeper 1,923

Lehman, Jacob, tinman 20

Levan, Charles, inn-keeper 95

Levan, Isaac, inn-keeper 44

McCandless, Robert

Neff, John, mason 1,494

Nevel, Jacob, laborer

Neff, Henry, mason 692

Neff, Peter 1,464

Neudorf, Susanna, widow 420

Owerbeck, Jacob, tobacconist 140

Old, Gabriel, carpenter 32

Palsgrove, John, weaver 854

Rudenauer, Samuel 52

Reifsnyder, Abram 20

Rever, Adam 760

Sharodin, John, hatter 1,072

Sander, Henry 820

Strasser, Michael, carpenter. . ■. 70

Seigfried, John, Sr 490

Seigfried, John, Jr 50

Selfridge, Mathias, merchant 32

Schofield, Ebenezer, shoemaker 232

Smith, Catharine (estate of) 300

Till, Jacob, teacher 40

Wolff, P«ter, laborer 20

Wickert, Jacob, tailor 20

Wilson, Motheral 2,110

Winck, Dewald, hatter 744

Wanner, Abram, hatter 1,052

Rate of taxation, li mills on the dollar.

Single Freemen, each 75 c.ents

Bast, Jacob Mehrman, William

Becker, Samiuel Owerback, Henry

Becker, Benjamin O'Neal, David

Essert, Jacob , Odenheimer, George

Glasser, Jonathan Smith, James

Harmony, Jonathan

Total valuation $56,465

. Houses, 69 ; horses, 47 ; cows, 63.

Geoege Breyfogle, Assessor.
16



List of Officials. — The names of the chief
burgesses, town clerks and justices of the peace
from the beginning of the borough to the pres-
ent time, and the time when the incumbents filled
their respective positions, are as follows :

CHIEF BURGESSES

Dewalt Bieber 1816-17

Daniel Levan 18I8

George Breyfogle 1819-21

Henry Heist 1822

John Kutz ; 1823

Jonathan Prime 1824

John Palsgrove 1825-26 ; 1831

Jacob Esser 1827

Geo. A. Odenheimer 1828

John Fister 1829 ; 1832 ; 1834-35 ; 1854

Daniel Bieber 1830; 1846; 1848

Peter Gifft ' 1833 ; 1837

William Heidenreich 1836 ; 1842-43 ; 1847

George Bieber 1838-39 ; 1845

John V. Houck 1840

Dr. William Bieber 1841

Jacob Graeff 1844 ; 1852

David Fister 1849; 1865-67; 1871

Daniel B. Kutz 1850; 1855

David Levan 1851

Reuben Sharadin 1853

Fayette Schaedler 1856

Hiram F. Bickel 1857-58

J. S. Trexler. 1859

B. H. Kutz 1860

William Helfrich 1861

Jacob Sunday 1862

C. H. Wanner 1863-64

Paul Hilbert 1868-69

John Humbert .' 1870

Lewis Hottenstein 1873

J. D. Wanner 1873-74

David Hinterleiter '. 1875

S. S. Schmehl 1876

John M. Graeff , 1877

R. Dewalt 1878

Walter B. Bieber 1879-80

D. W. Sharadin 1881-82

D. F. Bieber 1883-86

J. D. Sharadin ' 1887

Jacob B. Esser 1888

Dewalt F. Bieber ; 1889

Reuben Dewalt 1890

Conrad Gehring 1891-97

John R. Gouser 1897-1900

Charles D. Herman 1900-03

Charles J. G. Christian 1903-06

Jeremiah T. Fritch 1906-09

H. W. Saul 1909-12

TOWN CLERKS

James Scull 1816-17

John Fister 1818-19

James Donagan 1820-33; 1825-32; 1834

Lloyd Wharton 1824

Henry Heist 1833

George Bieber 1835-36

Wm. F. Sellers 1837-40

David Neff 1841-42

George Hartzell 1343

Wm. S. Bieber 1844-51; 1853

Henry C. Kutz 1852

James M. Gehr 1854; 1859

H. B. Van Scheetz 1355

J. David Wanner 1856-58; 1860-66; 1871; 1879; 1881-96



243



HISTORY OF BERKS COUNTY. PENNSYLVANIA



A. C. Beidelman 1867

H. H. Schwartz 1868-70 ; 1873-74

Jonas Hoch 1872

E. D. Bieber 1875

J, H. Marx 1876-78 ; 1880; 1899-1901

Oliver H. Sander 1897

Dr. Henry W. Saul 1898

Charles H. Wanner 1903

Albert S. Heffner 1903-10

JUSTICES OF THE PEACE

Jacob Levan 1814-23

Benjamin Gehr 1818

James Donagan 1820

John Wanner 1830-23

Lloyd Wharton 1828

Henry Heist 1840-45

Jacob Graeff 1840-44

Charles Weirman 1844-47

William S. Bieber 1845-55

John B. Scbeutz 1847-52

H. B. Von Scheutz 1852-56

James M. Gehr 1855-60

J. Daniel Wanner 1856-67

Charles W. Esser 1860-64

Hiram H. Schwartz 1864-83

Allen K. Hottenstein 1867-71

John Humbert 1871-76 ; 1883-94

John H. Marx 1876-1906

A. S. Heffner 1894-1904

H. S. Sharadin 1906-11

A.J.Rhode 1904-09 , r-, , ,^ x^-.

George H. Smith 1905-14 °y Charles M. Richardson (Bernville).

POSTMASTERS Wcntc Marble Works, 15 to 20 hands; carried

The postmasters for the past thirty years have been: °" ^^ father, Philip, until 1895, and since by his

Jonathan Bieber son William as Wentz & Co.

Christian Bieber Keystone Shoe Factory (1885), 100 hands; car-

1893-97 ried on by Dr. J. S. Trexler, \\-ilHam Stimmel and
Charles Miller until 1902, and since b^^ Lewis
Stein.



ious trades incident to every community were car-
ried on with more or less activity, but without any
marked improvement. Some establishments were
operated for a number of years and then discon-
tinued. The introduction of the steam railway
in 1870 was a great assistance. The East Penn
railroad was opened for travel from Reading to
Allentown in 1859, and in 1870 a branch was con-
structed from Topton to Kutztown. This facility
for the shipment of goods stimulated manufactures
and the erection of different kinds of shops and
factories. This industrial activity has been kept
up with increasing success until the present time.
In 1909 all the places employed about four hun-
dred hands, and their productions were sent to all
parts of the United States.

Estahlishments

Sharadin Shirt Factory (1896), 30 to 35 hands;
carried on by Howard Sharadin from 1896 to 1902 ;
by his brother Francis from 1902 to 1907; and
by S. Liebowitz since 1907.

H. K. Dcisher Knitting Mill (1890), 45 to 50
hands.

Knt::tozvn Creamery Compan\ (1881-1907) ;
milk depot established near railroad station in 1907



Tczi.'n Council,



William Sander ]___

Michael T. Donmoyer 1889-93

John P. S. Fenstermacher Since 1897

BOROUGH OFFICIALS— 1909
Chief Burgess, Dr. H. W. Saul

L. A. Stein, President
James S. Heffner
Nicholas M. Rahn
William F. Stimmel
Stephen W. Keinert
William B. Schaeffer
Pierce Schell
A. S. Heffner, Clerk
Walter B. Bieber, President
George C. Bordner, Secretary
A. W. Fritch, Treasurer
George Glasser
Dr. N. Z. Dunkelberger
John H. Barto
C. L. Gruber
J. H. Marx
A. F. DeLong
Llewellyn Angstadt
Charles A. Frey
N. S. Schmehl
Justices of file Peace, Howard S. Sharadin

George H. Smith
Constable, Charles Glasser
Board of Health, Dr. E. K. Steckel, President
Solon A. Stein, Secretary
George H. Smith, Treasurer
Fred T. Williamson
David James, Health Officer

Industries.— The place being inland, for nearly
one hundred years its development was slow. Var-



School Board,



Auditors,



Assessor,
Collector,
Treasurer,



Sacony Shoe Factory, Inc. (1897), 40 hands.

James S. Heffner Roller Flour Mill (1887) ; al-
so lumber, coal and grain.

Kutztown Foundry and Machine Works Inc
(1896), 90 to 110 hands.

U. B. Ketner Paper Box Factory (1906), 10 to
12 hands ; carried on by Charles Ahn from 1906 to
1907.

R. Miller's Son Carriage Factory, 10 to 12 hands •
Richard Miller started before 1850, and succeeded
by son Charles.

Bieber s Brick Yard. 10 to 15 hands; started by
Jonathan Bieber before 1860, and succeeded by
son William.

Stimmel Brick-Yard (1906). 20 to 30 hands;
brick machinery driven by steam

Kutatown Silk Aim (1900), 70 to 80 hands;
started by Hartley Brothers and operated until
1907, and since by the Merchants' Silk Company.

And then there were at Kutztown, besides the
industries named, the following:

Cigar factories 2 Hat and shoe stores 4

Blacksmith shops 2 General stores . . 5

Wheelwright shops 3 r, , , \.

Carpet weaving shop 1 Department store 1

Book-making factories ...2 Printing office 1

Millinery shops 5 Hotels 7

Hardware stores 2 Law office 1



BOROUGHS 343

Physicians r> Drug store 1 excavations are still visible at numerous places

Dent'sts 2 Amusement Halls 2 along the route, evidencing the fruitless expen-

diture of large sums of money in behalf of an at-

_, . . , . . ■ , Tr tempted establishment of this much needed enter-

Bank. — A national bank was organized at Kutz- pj-jgg

town in 1871 and carried on twelve years, when previous to 1857 the mode of public travel to

It was removed to Reading and there re-organ- ^nd from this place was by stage-coach, and its

ized as the Keystone National Bank._ In 1897, ^^-^ ^^.^j^^j ^^^ departure were a matter of much

another national bank was organized in the bor- -^^^^^^^ ^^ ^^^ comnuinity.

ough under the narne of Kutztown National Bank Strcets.-The principal streets have been macad-

with a capital of $50,000, and it has been carried ^^-^^^ ^^^ ^^ ^^^^^^ ■ ^-^^ nitrified brick

on in a very successful nianner In June 1906 ^r asphaltum has been introcjuced as yet. The

the total resources were $458,480; par value of ^ct of 1815, establishing this borough, was found

shares, of stock $100 market value $218 ; loans defective in respect to the improvement of streets,

and discounts $369 598; deposits, $376,745; sur- ^nd therefore nothing was done in this behalf for

plus and profits, $65,966 John R. Gonser has f^.^y years. In 1854, by petition to court, the

been the president since its organization ; and O provisions of the amended Act of 1851, relating

P. Gnmley the cashier. In 1908. the bank erected f^ boroughs, were accepted; and in 1855 an ordi-

a superior building with an attractive sandstone ^^nce was passed by the council to effect this local

front and all the latest improvements for protec- improvement, but it was enforced more especially

tion against fire and burglary, at a cost of $20,- for Securing better sidewalks.

000. ihe directors took possession in February, ~ „ °. >■■,,■ j

1909, and its financial status then was as follows: , Tro'lleyLmes.-A street railway line was opened

Resources, $464,388; deposits, $378,434; surplus for travel from Kutztown to Allentown m 1903

and undivided profits, $86,000. and from that time dwellings began to be erected

A new State bank is about being established in V' Maxatawny township, east of the Sacony creek,

the borough by the name of the Farmers' Bank fornriing until 1909 a large and valuable addition

of Kutztown, v^rith a. capital of $50,000. 1° ^nnJ'^'^"^''; ^ y^ ^^^""'^ '*', ^^""^^^y i'"^-
In 1903, a trolley line was extended to the bor-
ough from Reading, thereby opening through trav-
PuBLic Improvements el from Reading to Allentown, Bethlehem and

Water Supply. — In 1889, the Kutztown Water Easton, via Kutztown.
Company was organized and incorporated by Dr. Similar building operations have been carried
J. S. Trexler, Sell D. Kutz, J. Daniel Sharadin and on beyond the western limits of the borough, op-
Peter D. Wanner for supplying the town with wat- posite the Keystone State Normal _ School, mak-
er. They established a reservoir on Kutz's Hill, ing that section also very attractive. As else-
a mile west of the town, with a capacity of 1,000,- where, the influence of this railway has been felt
000 gallons, and put down mains to and through in the general development of the place. A power-
the borough. The water was secured from springs, house was established at Kutztown in 1903, and
Kemp's run, and an artesian well, 800 feet deep, this has supplied the power to and from Trexler-
with a flowing daily capacity of 100,000 gallons, town, and to and from Temple since the exten-
Dr. Trexler was' president of the company until sion from Reading.

his death in 1902; and Mr. Wanner has officiated Fire Protection. — An association was incorpor-

since. Theretofore, wells had been used by the ated in 1844 for the purpose of affording protec-

residents from the beginning of the place. tion to the inhabitants of the borough against

Light. — In 1905, the council established a muni- fire, and the necessary apparatus was procured,

cipal electric light plant to supply the borough In 1871, the borough council erected a building

with light along the public highways. Previously, for the apparatus. The association was not reg-

coal-oil lamps had been used. Many persons have ularly kept up until recently; then a reorganiza-

adopted its use in their dwellings and business tion was effected and a new building is being put

places. up, costing $7,000. When an alarm of fire is

i?at7road.— Railroad communication was opened given, the community respond in general and all

with Kutztown from Topton in 1870. From 1859 able-bodied men are expected to lend their aid in

to that time the- nearest railroad station was Ly- extinguishing the fire. Fortunately, no costly fires

ons, on the East Penn railroad, to which place have arisen to require organized effort under ex-

the residents went by conveyance for the purpose pert direction. The pressure of water fom the

of visiting Reading to the westward by train, and reservoir is strong owing to the elevation of the

Allentown to the eastward. water-supply. The fire ai)paratus consists of two

A railroad had been projected from Allentown, hand-engines, hose-carriage, and hook and lad-

by way of Kutztown to Hamburg and Auburn, der truck.

in 1854, and subsequently the road-bed was par- Fair-Ground. — 'A local fair-ground, situated on

tially constructed between Kutztown and Ham- the south side of the borough, was carried on by

burg, but never completed. The embankments and a society for upward of thirty years from 1870.



244



HISTORY OF BERKS COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



Then the society was obliged to vacate the pre-
mises, and it purchased a superior site on the north.
In 1905, it erected the necessary buildings and
constructed a fine half-mile track; and in the fall of
that year the first exhibition was given on the new
ground.

Park. — A large park, comprising ten acres, was
established in 1903 by a private corporation. It
is situated in the eastern addition to the borough,
along the main thoroughfare to Allentown, and
since then it has attracted much public attention.
It has been improved by the planting of selected
shade trees and shrubbery under the supervision
of H. K. Deisher, who served as a director for a
time and continues an active interest in the wel-
fare of the park. A ball-field is included in the
park improvement.

The small monument, which had been erected be-
fore the Keystone State Normal School in 1876,
was removed to the park in 190C.

Auditorium. — An improved and modern amuse-
ment hall was provided by the Kutztown Audi-
torium Compan}^ in 1907, and a superior brick
building was erected and equipped at a cost of
$30,000, with a seating capacity of one thousand
persons, which has been well patronized by the com-
munity.

A frame music hall, with a seating capacity of
five hundred, was established in 1890, and various
entertainments there have been much encouraged.

Band of Music. — A band of music has been main-
tained at Kutztown for many years, which devel-
oped a great reputation for the rendition of classi-



Online LibraryMorton L. (Morton Luther) MontgomeryHistorical and biographical annals of Berks County, Pennsylvania, embracing a concise history of the county and a genealogical and biographical record of representative families, comp. by Morton L. Montgomery .. → online text (page 58 of 227)